Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer & Author's Notes

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the first 6 books in the Harry Potter series by J K Rowling belong to the aforementioned J K Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

I'm sorry for the delay in posting this chapter, the last month or so has been very busy for both myself and my Beta, however, with a little bit of quiet time chapter 4 might be up in a few days. I would like to thank SHARDRACO for proofreading my chapters and making the corrections. A late Merry Christmas wish to you all and we hope you have a happy and prosperous New Year.

(3) - Heads Room

"That certainly felt a lot more pleasant than the compressed feeling of normal apparition," said Hermione.

"Absolutely!" said Harry. "We'll have to travel this way more often."

"It would appear that Fawkes can understand your thoughts, Harry. We were here before you finished asking him where to take us." Fawkes had perched on the back of the sofa watching them.

There were two desks back-to-back, with two straight-backed chairs, against the wall opposite the fireplace. Just off the middle of the room were two plush armchairs with side tables separated by a sofa long enough for even Ron to sleep comfortably on, and a coffee table between it and the fireplace.

Harry thought, for fun, he would try to start a fire in the fireplace without using his wand. He pointed his finger at the fireplace and while making the proper movement as if he had a wand he said 'Incendio'. There was a weak sizzling sound and a puff of smoke rose from a spot in the fireplace grate. "Hmmph!" he mumbled.

"Harry, try this," as she conjured a candle floating in mid air, "and concentrate, imagine the flame in your mind."

Harry pointed his finger and closed his eyes, concentrating, visualizing the candle with a bright yellow flame, and then he opened his eyes, keeping the image in his mind and said 'Incendio' with a flick of his finger and more feeling and enthusiasm in his voice. He heard a faint whoosh sound and the candle flamed and remained lit, burning with a steady flame.

"Excellent Harry, do you want to try the fireplace again?" Hermione said smiling brightly.

"Not now," Harry said as he waved is hand in front of the candle and said 'Evanesco' and the candle vanished. "That took a lot of concentration. Let's check out the accommodations."

There were two doors off the common room. Harry's name was on a plaque above the left door and Hermione's name was above the other door. Hermione went off toward her door and Harry followed.

Hermione's room was spacious, though not nearly as large as the dorm room that she had shared with three other girls. There was a desk facing one window with the sun shining on it, a chest of drawers and vanity on the wall behind her. On her right was a large four-poster bed, almost twice as wide as the four-posters in the dorms, and on the left wall a fireplace and another door.

"Looks like you've got a walk-in wardrobe there," said Harry as he walked to the door, opened it and looked in. "Oops, it's the lavatory," he said. As Hermione came up beside him, he moved out of her way and she walked through the door. There was another door on the far wall, as well as two three-quarter-height doors on the right and a vanity with two basins on the left. As Hermione walked straight through to the far door, Harry checked the first door on the right. "Ahh, a shower and the other door must be …,"

Hermione interrupted, "Your room, I expect," and she opened the far door. They both walked through to Harry's room. It was a mirror image of Hermione's room. Hermione's trunk was at the foot of her bed, just as Harry's trunk had been at the foot of his bed. The door on the left led them back to the common room where Dumbledore's pensieve and Harry's trunk were waiting.

"It's nearly noon. Do you want to eat in the Great Hall, or have something here while we go over the events of the last hour?" asked Hermione.

"I don't think I want to sort things out in front of all the teachers, so let's eat here, or … oh, no…" as he remembered the funeral from a couple of hours ago.

"What were you going to say, Harry?"

"Well … out by the lake … but I don't think I want to go out there again this soon."

"Oh … yes … well, we can go down to the kitchen and bring some food back."

"Or I can try to call Dobby..."

And with a CRACK, Dobby appeared beside them. "Master Harry Potter", called Dobby, "Sir!" the house elf squealed. "How can Dobby help Master Harry Potter and his Hermy?" A moment later, before the two startled occupants could say anything, "Ahh, you is hungry and in the kitchens we is preparing dinner for the teachers and staff. Dobby will return in a few minutes with food for Master Harry and his Hermy," he snapped his fingers twice and was gone.

"His Hermy", she whispered through both her hands that were now covering her mouth. And then she saw a candle-lit table for two appear behind Harry.

Harry stepped in front of her and each of his hands gently circled her wrists and as he moved closer his arms rested against hers. "I … I'm sorry, I only suggested I could try to call Dob … him. I forgot that saying his name usually causes him to appear," Harry said, thinking Hermione was upset about Dobby bringing them dinner and her efforts to eliminate House Elf enslavement. "I certainly don't want to have to refer to Dobby as 'he who must not be named' for the rest of my life."

Hermione burst out laughing, and Harry, as it dawned on him what he just said, started to laugh as well. Since they were standing so close, they ended up wrapping their arms, somewhat awkwardly, around each other until the laughter subsided.

As they unwrapped themselves, Hermione pointed to the table, and at that moment food and drink appeared. "Nice bit of wandless magic," Harry said.

At that moment there was a loud CRACK and Dobby appeared saying, "Dinner is served Sir and Miss. Is there anything else Dobby can do for you?"

Harry pulled a few coins from his pocket to pay Dobby, but Dobby responded, "Dobby is still getting paid by the Headmistress Sir and Dobby is enjoying his work. I will not take paying from Harry Potter, Sir." and he disappeared with another loud CRACK.

"I … I didn't do..."

"That," said Harry as he finished her sentence. "Let's eat!"

"Let's eat," she repeated. "You keep that up and I'll think you're Ron on Polyjuice potion." Harry laughed again as he took her hand and they walked over to the table. Harry pulled out a chair for her and she sat while Harry walked around the table.

"Okay, you're definitely not Ron. Who are you?"

"What! A guy can't pull out a chair for you?"

"Okay, okay … I guess I'm over-reacting, but you've got to admit it's been a strange …"

"Morning?" he quipped completing her sentence again.

"Quit doing that. We're starting to speak like …"

"Fred and George?" he finished again with a chuckle. "I'll stop doing that … it sounds weird. Am I picking up on what you're thinking, or is it just coincidence?" and he took a sandwich and started eating.

"I'm hoping for coincidence because I don't want to think that you're in my mind that easily Mr. Potter," she giggled and picked up a glass of pumpkin juice.

"Oops … let's say they were obvious completions," and Harry took another bite of his sandwich. "Let's go back to what happened in McGonagall's office. Where do you want to start?"

"Well … that vision you received from Fawkes implied something about 'US' being together."

Harry choked on his sandwich before replying, "Nothing like going straight for the throat."

"Pick another topic then," she said, "I just thought we should get this out of the way first."

He gave an inward sigh of relief and hoped it didn't show. Yes, he'd like to take on that topic, but he didn't believe Hermione wanted him in that way and he didn't want to compromise their friendship and get rejected at the same time. "The summer," he said, "or at least between now and my birthday"

"Dumbledore doesn't want you left alone at the Dursleys, and you still have to be able to call that home for the protection to remain in effect. How do you want to sort that out?"

"I'd love to have your company, but I suppose I should spread myself around at least for the next few weeks, by then the Burrow will start getting crowded and Ron will likely be roped into being the gopher. Once I'm past my birthday I intend to leave the Dursleys forever. Maybe you can help me prepare Grimmauld Place"

"Gopher … what do you mean by a 'gopher'?" said Hermione.

"I mean he'll be going out and picking up stuff for Bill's wedding. He'll be going for this and going for that … gopher. I think it's American slang, I heard it somewhere, thought it was funny."

"Yesssss … Okay … I think as long as you spend a few nights a week at the Dursleys, leave your trunk there and have some meals there, you could still call it home. Ron and his Mum won't mind if you spend a couple of nights a week with them and I'll talk to Mum and Dad about you spending a few nights with us. Then Ron or I can probably spend a few nights with you at the Dursleys. With Fawkes, we'll be able to apparate around, as long as we're careful about not being seen by Ministry employees. Well, except for members of the Order."

"Let's ask McGonagall if this plan will work. I need to get some Muggle money so I can get some presentable Muggle clothing. These hand-me-downs from old Dudders are pitiful, and I expect I can't wear school robes around your neighbourhood."

"I've got enough Muggle money tucked away in my trunk to give us a good start. We just have to get to London or somewhere to find clothes."

"I can't use your money, Hermione."

"Nonsense. Dad gave it to me for emergencies. You can pay it back later, if it bothers you that much. I'm hoping my parents might let you come over tonight so we should get you some proper-fitting clothes quickly. Let's find Professor McGonagall, tell her our plans and maybe she can suggest a place we can apparate to for the shopping."

They left the common room and headed for the Headmistress's office.

Walking closely side-by-side down the first staircase and mid-way along the next hallway, having bumped their hands several times, Harry looked out the corner of his eye and, like catching the golden snitch, he had Hermione's hand gently grasped in his and they were slowly intertwining their fingers. A few more hallways, corners and staircases later they arrived at the gargoyles guarding the office. Hermione spoke the password and the gargoyles sprang aside revealing the upward spiralling stairs that they rode up to the landing before McGonagall's door.

Having heard the staircase groaning and grinding its way up, when it stopped and as Harry raised his hand to the knocker, the Headmistress called "come in" in her resounding voice.

Hermione explained her idea about Harry, Ron and herself, apparating between Privet Drive, the Burrow and her home so as not to leave Harry alone. She asked if the plan would fulfill the requirements around the protection of Harry and the Dursley's home.

"To get a full year's protection, Harry would have to stay a solid month. Since you only need a month's worth of protection before the charm wears off completely, you should be able to get away with one full day a week. One of those days needs to be before this month runs out. When you get to King's Cross, talk to Molly, Arthur and Ron. With the wedding coming up, they may have some accommodation problems toward the end of the month; otherwise I am sure they will be happy to help you. You can also come back here from time to time."

"Harry needs some proper fitting Muggle clothes and I am hoping you might know somewhere we could go right now to do some shopping."

"Robert, my brother, has a place in the middle of Edinburgh. I used to stay there in the summer with him and his wife. You should change into Muggle clothes while I talk to him."

"We'll be back in about fifteen minutes Professor", Hermione said, and they ran out the door, down the stairs and back to their new rooms.

After changing out of their robes and now looking completely Muggle, they met in the Head's Common Room. Harry said, "I keep forgetting we can use Fawkes to apparate inside the castle." He held Hermione's hand and called, "Fawkes." The big red and gold bird popped into the room and flew to Harry's shoulder. Harry thought of the Headmistress's office and they apparated there in a flash of red.

The Professor had only just portkeyed back from her brother's home after talking to him and his wife about Harry and Hermione coming over to do some shopping. "Robert will be happy to take care of you and point out some shops he thinks would have what you need." McGonagall said, as she gave Hermione the bracelet she was holding in her hand, "This is the portkey I use to visit Robert. It will take you there and return you here when you are finished. To trigger it, say Robert's last name 'Burns', and make sure you are both holding it when it's triggered. He is expecting you any time now. If you're ready then, off you go."

Harry took hold of the bracelet and Hermione's hand at the same time. Hermione said, "Burns" and they were gone.

Harry had noticed her look at it each time they passed the same dress shop while going back and forth in search of one thing or another for him, and he insisted she try it on. After a few quick measurements, the sales clerk found the right size and colour. Hermione went into the change rooms at the back of the shop to try it on.

Harry, meanwhile, was feeling a little conspicuous in a dress shop … well it wasn't the dresses and outer clothes that bothered him so much, but all the underthings and silky, slippery looking slips and other stuff he wasn't quite sure about.

He found a seat near the back, closed his eyes and tried to take his mind off 'things'. He found his mind wandering to an imaginary duel with Voldemort and after what seemed like a few seconds, but was probably several minutes, he had calmed down.

Hermione, after checking herself out in the full-length mirror in the change room, decided the colour and fit were nearly perfect. She could make a few adjustments, like the length, with her wand when she got home. There were a couple of other places she thought she could snug it up if she wanted to test Harry's response. She came out of the back, stood in front of Harry, and whispered his name.

Harry's head had drooped forward until his chin was resting on his chest. When he thought he heard his name whispered, he slowly opened his eyes to view the floor and the bottom of her dress. At least it was the same colour as what she had taken to change into. As he raised his head, she raised her arms and slowly spun around so he could get a good view to give her his opinion. "Well …?"

And though Harry's head and eyes came up, his lower jaw and chin were still firmly attached to his chest. His eyes were open so wide and wandering slowly in all directions following her curves. Harry's lower jaw finally started moving, which made him look more like a fish out of water than a stupefied wizard. After more than a minute, Harry still hadn't uttered a sound. However, Hermione had inferred that his opinion of the dress coincided with hers. She bent down and gave Harry a quick kiss on his forehead before going back to the change rooms to get into her other clothes.

Harry came back to full consciousness as Hermione disappeared around a clothes rack. The sales clerk, having watched his performance and still giggling, put a glass of ice water on a small table beside Harry.

About four hours later they returned to McGonagall's office carrying three boxes each. Five of the boxes were Harry's. They contained a new suit with matching shirt and tie for formal occasions, such as Bill and Fleur's wedding, and for use in any situations in the Muggle world where he might need to appear older. As well, he had new jeans, trousers and shirts for every day. He also bought new trainers and, on Hermione's insistence, a pair of dress shoes to wear with the suit. Hermione's box contained just the new dress as her wardrobe at home was already well-stocked.

"Ah, you're back in plenty of time. I have some news for you Harry. I talked to Wilkie Twycross, the apparition instructor from the Ministry, and he agreed to do me a favour. He'll do your apparition testing before your birthday at a place and time of your choosing, and then he'll owl you your official license on your birthday. I would suggest doing it at The Burrow. Ron can be tested at the same time and it will simply look like he is doing Arthur a favour rather than giving you special treatment, in case Rufus finds out."

"Thank you Professor, that's brilliant. I'll owl him as soon as we get a schedule sorted out. Is there a small trunk around here that I could borrow? Both of our trunks are full so there's no room for these extra boxes. I don't want to crush them or carry them loose like they are now."

"There are a couple of things you could do instead. You could shrink the boxes to pocket size to make them easier to carry, but then you would have to enlarge them at home. That could be a problem for you Harry. I suggest enlarging the insides of your trunks; it's fairly straightforward. Imagine the outside of your trunk as it is and the inside twice as deep, then point your wand and wiggle it like this while saying the spell, 'Maximus'. To shrink something, reverse the wand movement and the spell is 'Minimus' while thinking of the object in a smaller size. 'Finite Incantatem' will restore them to the normal size. Conjure yourselves a couple of boxes to practice on before you enlarge your trunks."

"The Hogwarts Express is running right on time. I suggest you plan to arrive at King's Cross a few minutes ahead of the train. Come back here at about five minutes before six and I'll go with you to make sure that there's no problem with you apparating into there. That way Fawkes will appear to be with me if anyone sees us arrive. There will be Aurors and other Ministry officials there for the train's arrival."

"Get yourselves sorted out and repacked. You should have time to relax for a little while before it is time to go. Oh, and I need the portkey back please."

Harry called Fawkes over, and boxes and all, they flashed over to the Head's Common Room. They practiced both enlarging and shrinking, and eventually enlarged their trunks enough to hold everything. Hermione then shrank their trunks, the trunk from Dumbledore and the pensieve to fit in their pockets. She would ask Professor McGonagall to enlarge them at King's Cross before the train arrived.

They both sat on the sofa. After a few minutes, Hermione leaned over resting her head on his shoulder. His head rested on the back of the sofa and tilted over so that the side of his face was nestled in her hair. They relaxed like that, enjoying the peace and quiet until Dobby popped in with a loud CRACK, startling them, and telling them it was time to go to the Headmistress's office.

They stood up and Harry called, "Fawkes." Then he took Hermione's hand and said, "See if you can ask Fawkes to take us to McGonagall's office." Fawkes arrived in a flash of red flame and flew over to Hermione's shoulder this time, which surprised them both. Harry had his mind on Hermione and Fawkes while Hermione thought of the Headmistress's office. In a flash of red they were there.

"Hello Professor, when do we leave?"