Unofficial Portkey Archive

Black, White and Red by Barmy_old_Codger
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Black, White and Red

Barmy_old_Codger

Disclaimer: Any characters you recognize from the books in the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling belong to the aforementioned J. K. Rowling. I am simply playing with them for my amusement, and to see what kind of reaction I can get.

Author's Note: Many thanks to the_scribbler for his kind assistance with this chapter.

Chapter 47 - "Secret Arrangements"

Having informed McGonagall of their discussion with Malfoy and after finishing their patrol, Harry and Hermione returned to their Common room. While Hermione was busy Harry tied a note to Hedwig's leg and sent him off before he prepared himself for bed. C'ba had coiled up by the fireplace in Harry's bedroom and Crookshanks, who had recently started sleeping on Hermione's pillow during the day, was following him around, weaving between his feet and threatening to become a tripping hazard. Harry finally picked up the orange fur ball and placed him in the depression in Hermione's pillow that he had obviously made that day; then told him to warm it up for his mistress. Crookshanks curled up on the pillow and purred while Harry continued readying himself for bed.

Harry knew he wasn't going to get a hand-job or better tonight because Hermione was still trying to prove her point about what might affect Voldemort. He was replaying her latest trick in his mind when he heard her voice from the loo. He was instantly rock hard and standing at attention.

"Harry, what are you doing?"

"Thinking about you, love", he said. She returned to his room a few heart beats later wearing only her pretty, white and pink-cotton knickers and an old, thin lacy bra, that barely held its charges in place. Her gaze instantly locked on the bulge in the front of his boxers.

"Harry," she said sounding exasperated, "I know it doesn't take much to get you started, but..." She reached up with one hand going around the back of his neck to pull his head down. "You could at least wait until I'm in the room." She said as she stretched up and their lips joined. Harry sucked in a breath and nearly emptied Hermione's lungs when he felt her other hand firmly grasp his boxer-clad organ. He whimpered into her mouth while his arms wrapped around her, picking her up and crushing her body into him. Harry's whole body shook in the anticipation he knew would not be fulfilled tonight.

When their lips parted he could look into the tempest that was her eyes, "you are ... so beautiful ..." he whispered as she tried to get some air.

She had given up telling him that she wasn't beautiful and that he must be blind; he refused to believe her; she replied simply, "I love you too." Then she slipped his old Quidditch jersey over her head.

Harry understood what she was doing, and why, but it still hurt him to see her cover up so much. The smell of her skin; its softness; and the warmth of her body against him as they slept together meant a great deal to him, and so it was hard to have that withdrawn - if only temporarily. As she climbed into bed, he thought about how much had changed…and how much he wanted to have Tom Riddle out of his life forever, so that he'd always be able to sleep next to a naked Hermione Potter.

As her hair settled around her head on the pillow, much like a halo, he knew for a certainty - in a way that was indescribable yet absolute - that he'd do anything he had to in order to make sure that Hermione would always be in his life.

*************************

Tuesday, Sept. 16th - Granger household - early Am.

Emma was in the kitchen pouring cereal into two bowls when she heard a tapping sound on the window over the sink. Looking up she saw a very familiar snowy white owl perched on the narrow sill outside. Emma slowly opened the window so as not to startle Hedwig. When it was open enough, Hedwig hopped inside stopping on the counter's edge and holding out her left leg. Emma bent down and carefully untied the note then stroked Hedwig's feathers a few times wondering where Harry might have left some owl treats. She was about to open the note when Dan came in. Seeing Hedwig he figured there must be a reason and Emma passed him the note since it was addressed to 'The Grangers' in Harry's scrawl.

The note, when opened spilled out some Pound notes and explained that Harry wanted to surprise Hermione by taking her to Godric's Hollow for her birthday supper and the rest of the weekend, he expected they would leave shortly after classes and should arrive around four in the afternoon. They didn't have to return to school until Monday morning. It went on to say that Hermione often bemoaned the fact that she couldn't be with her parents on her birthday and so the Grangers were requested to come for the entire weekend as well, or whatever portion they could manage. He would send Fawkes to pick them up at a time and place of their choosing. Hedwig would wait as long as it took for them to send a reply. He further asked that they use the money to purchase a particular set of earrings that Harry had spotted Hermione looking at in the jeweller's shop up the street, unless of course they found something that they thought Hermione would like better. Harry had described the earrings, noted the price he saw on them and had even drawn a decent sketch.

Dan took Hedwig up to Harry's bedroom. The perch and food and water dishes were there, Harry had charmed them to be 'ever full and fresh'. The food pellets weren't as tasty as fresh mouse meat, but for a tired, hungry bird, they would fill the bill (or the beak). Hedwig slept all day while the Grangers were in their Surgery. By the end of the day their patient schedule had been rearranged to allow the office to close on Friday at three and reopen the following Monday at 9 Am. They had stopped in at the jewellers on their way home and Emma had agreed with Harry's choice of the earrings and added a matching sapphire pendant to make a set.

Dan added the words 'Friday, 4:15PM, home' to Harry's note and Emma tied it to Hedwig's leg. The refreshed and refuelled owl took off immediately for Hogwarts.

*************************

Wednesday, Sept. 17th - Early Am.

Harry had just returned from another cold shower - a practice he was getting used to whether he liked it or not - while she was trying to prove her point about the connection between their love-making and Voldemort's collapses. Hedwig had just flown in through the window and landed on her perch. Harry quickly removed the note, read it, then banished it and thanked Hedwig for her efforts with fresh owl treats, water and food.

Harry quickly checked the loo and found that Hermione was having a hot shower. He shook his head and closed the door. He figured he had at least ten minutes and called for Dobby. After explaining to Dobby about Godric's Hollow and Camelot Harry found out that Dobby knew Guinevere. She had come to Hogwarts a couple of times in the last few weeks to check up on Lord and Lady Gryffindor. When she met Dobby there was a little jealousy on her part that Dobby considered himself to be the Potter's House Elf and friend.

Harry explained to Dobby what he wanted for Friday and the weekend and that he should try to work with Guinevere to make sure that she feels like she too belongs in the family. Family ... a word or a destiny he often thought of, but seldom spoke about. It warmed him to think that he was part of the Granger family and he could barely contain himself until he could have a family with Hermione.

"What are you thinking about now?" was the cry from the loo. She had again picked up on his feelings and, not wanting to invade his mind, she vocalized her thoughts. Harry quickly sent Dobby off after telling him that the Grangers would be there too; then entered the loo to answer her.

Harry closed his eyes as she stepped out of the shower in all her glistening glory lest he should need another cold shower himself. "I was thinking about us in a few years' time." He answered. She smiled back at him having a vague idea that he was probably thinking about the family she was sure they would soon start.

*************************

Thursday, Sept 18th, 8 Pm. - Head's Common Room

Harry and Hermione had just opened up the Marauder's Map to look for Draco. He was shown to be in an empty classroom on the second floor. They also noticed that Crabbe and Goyle were on their floor, close enough to the Gryffindor and Heads' Common Room entrances to be able to see who was coming and going. Normally, this time of day Harry and Hermione would be in the Gryffindor Common Room with their friends or in the Library unless they were going on patrol. Crabbe and Goyle would be like shadows to Draco unless Draco was with Pansy or another girl. Draco was such a sleaze, Pansy had to know, she couldn't possibly be that stupid, or maybe she didn't care. Harry had never kept an eye on Pansy to know if she too was 'getting around'.

Hermione offered to transform into Caledfwlch and flash them into the hallway on the second floor. The pair had talked again with Minerva as well as Alastor and Remus about Draco's offer, well more of a request for protection for him and his Mother. They had all thought it odd that Draco didn't include Miss Parkinson in the request and that would be something they would have to inquire about. An integrity test was something they also talked about, they couldn't be sure if Draco was trying to trick them in some way, it would be a typical Slytherin thing to do. Draco was too good at Occlumency, having been taught by his Aunt Bella, for them to be sure that what they might be able to find in his mind would be the truth and the use of Veritaserum on students was not normally approved. There was another test they thought of, the concern was that the results were absolute. Harry and Hermione talked to Rowena about bringing Draco through her portrait and if he failed that test he would disappear forever. There would be no body and no trace of him at all. It would be as if he had gone through the veil like Sirius did.

Caledfwlch landed on Harry's shoulder and they both left in a bright flash of white light, reappearing in the empty second floor hallway moments later. Hermione hopped off of Harry's shoulder and transformed back into her brilliant bushy-haired self before they made their way towards the classroom door. Hermione waved her hand at the door and it opened as they approached. Draco looked up startled, he had only just entered the classroom a minute before them and expected them to take a while searching through the dozen or more unused and unlocked classrooms on various floors. He didn't ask, he suspected they had somehow alarmed the doors or rooms to indicate to them which one was occupied.

"Pansy is suspicious of me already, I must have let something slip or maybe someone saw me meeting you two a few days ago", stated Draco. "You've got to help me! She's had Crabbe and Goyle keeping an eye on me, Zabini has been watching too, and reporting to her. She told them it was for my safety. Those two are not much use for anything else, but they can watch and report back, they're good at that."

"Do you think you would be alright to return to Slytherin until Monday at this time?" Asked Harry in a hope to simplify tonight and through the weekend, besides they needed time to contact Narcissa Malfoy and make arrangements for her. "We would like to hide you and your Mother at the same time ... and good arrangements take time."

"Yes," Draco said simply, "If I can avoid Pansy as much as possible. You realize I'll have to try to act my normal self to avoid further suspicion."

"Good", Hermione said. "We can take you somewhere where you'll be absolutely safe, but ... there is one consideration."

"What, anything ..." Draco said, somewhat anxiously.

"The entryway is charmed ... or maybe hexed ... depending on your point of view," Hermione started to say.

"Yes, yes, get on with it."

"If your loyalties remain with Voldemort," Draco cringed at the name as Hermione spoke, "Or you intend to harm anyone in the Order, the entryway will kill you, it won't let spies or traitors through. You may continue your seventh year studies with the best of teachers. Your Mother, if she passes the same test, will join you." Hermione pulled out her wand and pointed it at the outside wall, using a spell of Rowena's the windows were replaced by continuous stone. "If you believe that you and your Mother can pass the integrity test you will need to return to this room on Monday at eight so that we can make the final arrangements, otherwise ..." Hermione pointed her wand at the classroom door and continued, "There's the door." Hermione and Harry both noticed Draco's Adams apple bob as he gulped in the realization that it was now or never.

Did he trust these two enough to risk his life, he didn't want anything to do with the Dark Lord which included his Father as well, since Lucius was too far into the Dark Lord to ever get out alive even if he wanted to. The entryway Granger spoke about sounded ominous, did it take into account past intentions or just his current intentions. He had talked to his Mother after he had been released from that horrible prison and she was trying to hide away as much of the family fortune as she could get her hands on. Lucius unfortunately had most of it tied up in such a way that only he could gain access to it so long as he was alive.

While Draco was thinking, Hermione turned around to face the classroom door and flicked her hand in its direction using another of Rowena's spells. The first time she had used wandless magic, it had really caught Harry's attention - but she, too, had been growing in magical power for some time, and so he was getting used to seeing her do things without her wand.

Harry spoke up, "If you leave this room you cannot return. The door will now let you out, but not back in. If you leave we will not help you any further. If you remain here ... we will return in half an hour to take you back safely to a place near the Slytherin Common Room."

Having made up his mind days ago even though it seemed a degrading thing to trust Potter and this girl, Draco spoke up. "On Monday I will need some things from my room ... clothes, books and other things. Pansy will panic when my stuff disappears, the Dark Lord and my Father will know about it within seconds."

Harry thought that was not a big deal, as house-elves could come and go both silently and invisibly. Most of the Slytherin students would never realize that a house-elf had been among them and if someone went looking for Draco's stuff, there were some illusions that could be triggered by a charmed device that would fool them long enough for them to get away with getting Draco out and safe.

"Will Pansy sound the alarm if you simply don't show up tonight or Monday night?" asked Harry.

"Probably not ... she'll think I'm sleeping with Greengrass and she will go to find a warm bed in Zabini's room. Some arranged marriage this is going to be ... we're already cheating on each other and we both know it."

"After Monday you're going to be cut off from all the students, save the odd visit from us, you'll be as celibate as a Monk unless Parkinson or Greengrass follows you or Voldemort is gone and his mess is cleaned up. Neither Parkinson nor Greengrass can come with you unless they passes the same test."

"Pansy couldn't pass the test, she believes blindly in the Dark Lord." Harry thought to himself that it was too bad that Pansy was a lost cause. She was certainly bright enough that she could have been put on a different and better path early on and saved, if someone had cared enough to do so. Draco was still speaking, even as Harry's mind wandered. "Daphne already knows I'm going into hiding, I told her I'd send for her if I could. She doesn't want anything to do with the Dark Lord, neither do her parents. If she was allowed to tell her parents that she was going into hiding for her safety, she thinks they would agree to it. If they don't come over to the Dark Lord soon, they'll be killed anyway. If they know their daughter is safe, they might flee the country and go into hiding. They wouldn't be much use in a fight, they're barely better than squibs. Daphne was adopted you know. She's actually a pure-blood. Her real parents were killed in the first war."

Harry looked at him and realized, perhaps really for the first time, the true cost of Tom's unrestrained hatred and ambition. "Okay, talk to her, let her know that we'll make arrangements to return her home for some reason, perhaps a death in the family, that ought to be good for two or three days away from school. About two weeks from now should be good, she can talk to her parents then and we can arrange for her to disappear with you and get her parents out of the country. Yes … two weeks should be good, the dust will have settled from the disappearances of you and your Mother."

"We'll be back in half an hour," said Hermione as she and Harry left the classroom to find Minerva and inform her of their discussion with Malfoy.

*************************

Friday, Sept 19th AM

Harry woke up first, the love of his life snuggled into his left side; still asleep with a smile on her lips. He wanted to sigh, but knew it would wake her up, so he didn't. As they did on his birthday in July, they had remained awake until midnight so he could wish her a happy birthday and didn't get to sleep until about two in the morning. Harry had replaced the image of the horntail on his chest with a birthday cake for Hermione and conjured nineteen little candles for her to blow out. While she was blowing out all the candles, he kept re-lighting them. After she had succeeded, he then banished the remains of the candles and told her they were leaving at four that afternoon to go to Godric's Hollow, for the weekend, they wouldn't have to return until Monday morning. When he mentioned that her parents were also going to be there, she was so incredibly happy with him that she pounced on him; snogging him senseless. Hermione had gotten them so wound up that it was a near thing that they didn't actually do the deed then and there. She had been so pleased with him for making all the arrangements and being able to keep it a surprise that her magic and his, got loose and was bouncing around the room. Most of the vagrant magic was absorbed by the old chair that they had charmed for the purpose, thus they didn't decimate the rest of Gryffindor Tower ... this time.

In the morning, when they finally got around to paying attention to something other than themselves and looked around Harry's bedroom, the poor chair that absorbed most of the loose magic was still smoking and emitting the odd spark. Hedwig had hooted and left when Hermione was trying to blow out her candles last night and still had not returned, C'ba was now curled up on the warm chair and Crookshanks had retreated to the furthest corned under the bed, not sure if he should ever come out. What they didn't know and weren't even concerned about this morning was the condition of Voldemort. They would never stumble across enough information to link last night's activities to that fact that he was again incapacitated.

They got up, she finally got dressed, her mind totally on Harry and tonight. They made their way to breakfast, Hermione was so happy she was hanging on to Harry while bouncing and skipping along the hallways. She had calmed down a little by the time they arrived at the Great Hall and they both managed to walk in and find their seats with some semblance of normality. Hermione wore a smile as wide as her face and Harry hoped and prayed to any deity he could think of that she would be able to keep that smile on all day even if it caused her parents some concern. His troubles resumed when he realized that all she was doing was hanging on to his arm and looking up at him ... and smiling ... and smiling. What had happened to his sensible, organized Hermione that he knew ... she was acting like the gaggle of girls that followed Krum around a few years ago. Harry redirected his forkful of egg to her mouth, her lips parted as the egg got nearer and her mouth did open, allowing the food to enter. He noticed her absently chewing on the food as his next forkful of egg and toast went to his own mouth. Harry continued by putting the following forkful in her mouth again and then alternated one for him ... and one for her ... until his plate was empty. She was still hanging on and looking up at him with that goofy huge smile on her face.

Ron and Luna weren't at their table this morning and he hadn't spotted them at the Ravenclaw table either. Harry suspected they might be having breakfast of one sort or another at the Three Broomsticks in the Room of Requirement. Dean Thomas and Lavender Brown had become part of Ron and Luna's breakfast club since he and Lavender were now obviously a couple. Neville and Seamus were with their girls ... more or less ... since Ginny and Parvati had huddled together and were whispering, snorting and giggling throughout this whole episode. They knew of course that today was Hermione's birthday and that the pair slept in the same bed every night. The two girls were speculating on whether the pair had actually consummated their relationship, and just how well endowed Harry was. They had overheard rumours from the boys, and, even though the girls knew that the boys exaggerated quite a bit, there was reason to be a little jealous of Hermione. Ginny was the closest of the three to having firsthand knowledge, though she had never seen or held Harry's bits, she had felt it press against her a number of times during those few weeks that they were together last term. Ginny was shorter and smaller than Hermione and her concern at that time was that it might be too big. She had made a point of trying to gage the size of Harry's hardware. Ginny knew that Neville's piece was not as big as Harry's judging by the feel of the bulge in his pants, and although pleasure mattered more than size to her, she felt that Neville was still stretching her to her limit.