Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

A/N: This is a fairly long chapter. I hope you enjoy it. I look forward to your comments.

Until next time…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Unbelievable

Harry held tightly to Hermione's hand as he waited in anticipation for something more from her. "Come on, Hermione. I know you're there." He said urgently. "It's time to come back now."

He was so wrapped up in encouraging her to come back that he didn't hear the footsteps as someone approached the bed.

"Excuse me, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby does not mean to inter…" Dobby started tentatively.

Harry looked at the little house elf and held up his hand. "Dobby, I'm sorry. Now is not a good time." He said as he turned his attention back to Hermione. "Come on, Hermione. Come back now."

Dobby's voice was higher than Harry had ever heard it when he replied. "Dobby is most sorry to interrupt Harry Potter, but Professor Dumbledore asked Dobby to come sir. Dobby is to tell Harry Potter that it is very important that he goes to the Headmaster's office right away. Dobby is to tell Harry Potter that he will stay with Miss Hermione until Harry Potter can return."

"Dobby, I'm very sorry but can you please let Professor Dumbledore know that this is not a good time? I think Hermione might be waking up and I need to be here with her right now. She has to be my priority." He replied. He saw Dobby's anxiety and matched it with his own, "Please, Dobby."

Dobby's large eyes welled with tears and his ears drooped as he lowered his head. "Harry Potter does not trust Dobby with Miss Hermione?" He asked sadly.

Harry looked between Hermione and Dobby. He took a deep breath and sighed, "No Dobby. That's not it. It's just…it's too hard to leave. Now is just not a good time." He said softly as he looked at her. He looked at the sad house elf and sighed again, it has been a while since I heard her, he thought. "All right Dobby, I'll let you stay with her but only on one condition."

Dobby's ears perked up as he looked at Harry. His eyes were watery and he held his hands together at his chest. "Dobby will do anything for Harry Potter, sir." He said.

"Dobby, you absolutely must promise to get me straightaway if she does anything; even if she moves just a finger. I do trust you Dobby but I have to know that you'll find a way to get me." He said earnestly.

"Oh yes, Harry Potter sir." He said excitedly. "Dobby will go to get Winky now so she can stay with Miss Hermione if Dobby must leave to get Harry Potter. Dobby will be right back sir." With that he apparated to the kitchen and returned a minute later with Winky at his side.

"I wish wizards could apparate like that here." Harry said thoughtfully. He focused again on Dobby. "Okay, Dobby. Entrusting her to anyone is difficult when I feel that I should be here with her. Do not forget your promise to come and get me. I still don't like leaving, especially right now."

"Dobby promises Harry Potter. Dobby will come straightaway if Miss Hermione does any movement. Harry Potter knows that Dobby would not be sent if it was not important." He said.

"I know Dobby. That's the only reason that I'm going." Harry replied. He looked at Hermione and kissed her cheek, "I love you, Hermione. I'll be back soon." He whispered before he released her hand and stood to leave.

He slowly made his way toward the infirmary doors. He turned back to look at her when he reached them; how can Dumbledore expect me to just walk away right now? He thought. "Don't forget your promise Dobby." He said before he disappeared through the doors.

Harry walked quickly to Dumbledore's office. "I don't know what he's thinking sending Dobby in there like that. Probably knew I wouldn't be able to turn him away once he looked at me like that…that pathetic little expression…" Harry grumbled. "Don't know why he couldn't just come down to the infirmary if it was so all-fired important…"

"Sherbet Lemon." He said gruffly when he arrived outside the entry to Dumbledore's office. He stood back and waited for the Gargoyles to allow him entrance to the stairwell that would lead him upstairs. I wonder how often he uses that password anyway, he thought. He ascended the stairs and raised his hand to knock on the massive door.

"Come in Harry." He heard Dumbledore say as the door began to open. He slowly pushed the door the rest of the way and found Dumbledore sitting at his desk, papers littered across it; a small book lay amongst them. He looked up as Harry entered. "I'm very sorry to have disturbed your vigil Harry. You must know that I would not have done so unless it was a matter of great importance."

"Yes sir, I do know that but it does not change the fact that your timing leaves something to be desired." He said. "I believe she's on her way back. If I could just go to her and come back…"

Dumbledore raised his hand to stop him mid sentence. "Yes, Harry. I believe that by now she should be, although I am quite sure that we have a little more time. There are things that have recently been brought to my attention that I am sure will be of great interest to you." He said. He looked up from his papers to look at Harry and saw the hurt in the young man's eyes. "I'm sorry Harry. I do not mean to sound as though I am making light of what you are going through. I think it is wonderful that Miss Granger may be back with us soon, you can be sure of that. But for now you must trust Dobby to come and get you should something happen with her. You do not have to go through this alone when there are others here who wish to help. Right now I must know; are you prepared to learn the facts behind why she was a target, why she was hit?" He asked.

"Facts behind why she was a target, why she was hit?" He repeated. "What do you mean? I thought…I thought it was misplaced spell cast by a Death Eater."

Dumbledore looked directly at him and Harry saw how tired he had become just in the few hours since he'd last seen him.

"May I ask you something, Harry? Something that you will most assuredly need to think about before you voice your answer?" Dumbledore asked softy.

Harry nodded.

"Harry, do you truly believe that if a Death Eater had cast that spell that it would have hit Miss Granger as it did; causing only damage and not death?" He asked.

Harry thought for a moment. "Are you telling me that someone only intended to hurt her? Not kill her? And that it wasn't a Death Eater?" He asked.

"No, Harry. I believe most assuredly that the intent was to kill Miss Granger. What I want you to think about is whether you believe that a trained Death Eater would have made the mistake of hitting her in such a manner. Keep in mind Harry that Death Eaters have been experienced in the use of killing curses since before you born. Many have died needlessly at their hands." He said.

Harry looked down at his hands as he considered his answer. It is possible that a Death Eater could miss, he thought. There were a lot of misplaced spells at the Department of Mysteries a couple of years ago. He was prepared to say as much to Dumbledore when another voice stopped him, "But she was out in the open and at that moment there was a lull as the Dark Lord made his presence known. Do you really think that a Death Eater would miss when the circumstances were so clearly in his favor?"

Harry was confused when he looked up and Dumbledore could clearly see the answer in his eyes. He nodded his understanding.

"As I suspected." He said. "You know, as I do, that the likelihood is minimal."

Harry cleared his throat. "So what are you saying?" He asked softly. "What are you telling me? There has to be more. If it were merely one of Riddle's followers you would tell me. You would not be asking questions and playing word games with me. Tell me what you have to say. Tell me what you know."

"Professor Trelawney came to see me just days before the battle, Harry." Dumbledore said as he stood and walked across the room to retrieve his pensieve. "She came with a warning. While there is nearly always a grain of truth in such things, I did, with good reason, harbor some doubt about the amount of truth in her warning. Today however, I received confirmation that her words were true. I only wish I'd known beforehand the consequences." He returned to his desk and set the pensieve down. Harry watched as he lifted his wand to his temple to remove the memory which he placed in the pensieve. He gestured for Harry to move closer. Harry stood and moved to stand beside Dumbledore who began swirling the liquid as Harry began to relive his memory…

~~~Dumbledore's Memory~~~

Dumbledore was sitting at his desk. He looked up when he heard a knock on the door. "Enter." He said.

Professor Trelawney walked in looking nervous and shaky. He looked up briefly from the papers on his desk and said, "Sybill, what a nice surprise. What brings you to my office? Can I get you anything? Perhaps a lemon drop or a nice cup of tea?"

"No…no thank you, Headmaster. I came because I have something important to tell you." She said as she nervously twisted her hands together. "I have a warning."

He sat up straighter and looked directly at her. "A warning? What kind of warning?" He asked.

"I've sort of had…a vision…but not really." She stammered. "Maybe it was more of a feeling or a voice in my head…I don't really know. I just know that I must tell you something."

"What is it Sybill?" Dumbledore urged.

She took a deep breath. "Beware the one amongst you whose heart is filled with none but jealousy and hate." She said. Slowly she took another deep, nervous breath before she continued, "Though they may be too late, two shall defy their families and sacrifice everything to protect the one the dark lord seeks."

"Beware the one amongst you whose heart is filled with none but jealousy and hate. Though they may be too late, two shall defy their families and sacrifice everything to protect the one the dark lord seeks." Dumbledore repeated verbatim. "Is there more? Have you seen who they are?" He asked.

"No. There is nothing more. Between you and me, I know that I am not always taken seriously and that few believe I truly possess the gift of sight. But I must emphasize to you the gravity of that of which I speak. My words are true and you must beware. Harry Potter must beware…" She said gravely.

~~~End Dumbledore's Memory~~~

Harry stood motionless as the image before him faded away. He slowly looked at Dumbledore and said, "Tell me what this means. You know who she's talking about, don't you?"

"Please Harry, sit." He said as he gestured toward Harry's vacant chair. "What I have to tell you will not be easy to hear.

Harry returned to his seat and contemplated what Dumbledore might have to say as he watched him return the pensieve to its proper place. He then returned to his desk and began to look at the papers lying there.

"Well?" Harry said after a few moments. "Can you tell me now? I'd like to get back to Hermione."

"I know Harry." He said. "I must tell you that I have been looking at these papers for hours and have yet to determine the best place in which to start."

"Please sir, start anywhere so I can get back. The only thing keeping me here now is finding out who is behind what has happened to Hermione. For two weeks I've believed it was a Death Eater and now that you've changed that perception I want to know the truth." He said.

Dumbledore took a deep breath. "You're right Harry. It is time you learned the truth." He cleared his throat before continuing, "It is prudent to begin with the tragic events that occurred at the end of your fourth year."

"Cedric? Or the rebirth of Voldemort?" Harry asked.

"Cedric." Dumbledore stated.

"What about him? What could he possibly have to do with this?" Harry asked curiously.

"He has nothing and yet everything to do with this, Harry; as you will soon see." He said. "You remember that he was close to Cho Chang when he was killed?"

"Yes, of course I remember. How could I forget?" Harry said.

"Yes, well. It would appear as though Ms. Chang has been harboring a bitter grudge against both you and Miss Granger since Mr. Diggory's death." Dumbledore said.

"WHAT?" Harry yelled in surprise. He sat up straighter in his chair. "What do you mean she's harbored a grudge? She didn't appear to be harboring a grudge a couple of years ago when we were spending time together."

"I would say that either she's a very good actress, Harry, or that you were too enamored with her at the time to notice that she was not all that she appeared to be. Tell me, did Miss Granger seem to notice anything? Did she say anything to you?" He asked.

"I don't know if Hermione noticed anything or not." He said thoughtfully. "Although, I must admit, it was the one time in all of our seven years that she didn't support me. I suppose it's possible that she knew something. There may have been some subtle hints but she never said anything directly."

"If I were to venture a guess, I would say that Miss Granger was very much aware that something was not right but did not share the information with you outright out of fear. If she had shared her concerns with you it is likely that you would have gotten angry with her and turned more toward Miss Chang, is it not?" Dumbledore asked.

Harry thought about it. "Yes." He said. "That likely would have happened. I spent a lot of that time confused and I really thought I wanted things to work…I doubt I would have listened."

Dumbledore nodded. "Miss Granger is very astute for such a young woman." He said.

Harry looked questioningly at Dumbledore. "So, are you telling me that Cho is somehow behind what happened to Hermione during the battle?"

Dumbledore looked down at his papers once again and sighed. "That is precisely what I'm saying Harry." He said softly.

"But…" Harry stammered, "but…how? I mean…"

"I received this letter today." Dumbledore said as he reached for one of the papers on his desk. He handed to Harry. "Read this."

Harry's hands were shaking as he took the letter.

Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Dear Headmaster:

It is with great apprehension that I write this letter to you as what I have to tell you will likely come as a surprise. It is only out of respect for yourself and the young hero Harry Potter that I write it all. Well, perhaps there is more…you be the judge.

Though I promise to make it brief, I must first start with my personal story. I, like so many others, had spent entirely too many years in fear of what may happen to me and/or my family at the hands of He-Who-Must-NO (not anymore)…too many years in fear of what Voldemort may do next. (Do you see? Even still it is difficult…). My fear was so great that it nearly kept me from the battle; but I was there, and that is where the real story begins…

After much contemplation I made the decision to join the battle; prepared to fight if the need arose. Naturally my hope was to be there as a silent, roaming observer. It was during my roaming that I found myself in the wrong place at precisely the right time.

By the light of the moon I watched, mesmerized as Mr. Potter, Miss Granger, and Mr. Weasley (the trio) stood on that grassy knoll, out in the open, fighting so bravely…so fearlessly. They fought, seemingly as one; effortlessly protecting themselves and each other.

While entranced by the sight before me I had mistakenly drifted near what many thought of as the invisible line that seemed to separate the good guys from the bad. It was eerily quiet as I watched multicolored lights from spells and curses streak across the night from both sides; the speed with which they were flying often making it difficult to tell from which direction they'd originated.

Suddenly there was a pause. Mr. Potter's attention appeared to be drawn toward what I now believe to be the presence of Voldemort. Miss Granger turned to look at him and at that moment I heard the faint sound of footsteps nearby. With my wand at the ready I turned and saw a young woman. Her wand was dimly lit to light her way through the trees; it was by this light that I saw her face. I vaguely recognized her; though at the time I could not recall from where.

She stepped forward to the edge of the clearing, her attention focused, much as mine was, on the sight of the trio. She did not appear to take notice of me. I watched in horror as she raised her wand and cast the spell that knocked Miss Granger so forcefully to the ground.

Immediately she turned to make a hasty retreat. I moved to follow her and saw two others who also appeared to have witnessed what she'd done. One of them called out to her (they too appeared to be young); she looked at them and then began to run. She did not make it far before they raised their wands and together cast the spells that ultimately ended her life…I watched helplessly as yet another young woman fell.

It was then that two men appeared from the enemy's side. I heard one of them call out to the two who had killed the young woman. He said that he too had witnessed everything. He told them they were a disgrace to their families and all that the dark lord stood for; they were traitors. They spoke for a moment and it looked as though one of the young ones was going to fight…it was then that the two men raised their wands and again I watched helplessly as two more fell. Including Miss Granger (who I thought at the time to be dead) the toll was four young ones gone in less than five minutes.

It was exactly that moment that I fully understood why we were there, why we were fighting…things could not go on the way they were; murder had become too easy. The apparent ease with which young people could kill and be killed was an incomprehensible reflection of what our world had become.

I dropped to my knees and I begged God and I begged Harry Potter to end it once and for all…anyone with the power of good would have sufficed in that moment. Moments later I heard Mr. Potter scream. I returned my attention to the scene on the knoll and I watched as the light surrounding him grew stronger and stronger. At some point I was forced to close my eyes though I could still feel the light. I heard the screams of the dark lord and his followers as the light penetrated through them. Suddenly it was dark and we relied once again on the light of the moon. I stood transfixed as I watched Mr. Potter turn to walk toward Miss Granger. The last thing I remember, for quite some time, was seeing Mr. Potter fall. I was overcome by an all-consuming joy and relief…thankful for true heroes in a world so seemingly consumed by hate.

Back now to the real reason for this letter…I have since discovered the young woman's identity and it is with this information that I find such apprehension. The name of the young woman in question is Cho Chang. I recognized her from a picture in an article written a few short years ago; an article that linked her to Mr. Potter and another young man, one who was (at the time) allegedly killed by Voldemort.

(It is purely speculation but I believe that she neared enemy lines so as to make it appear as though Miss Granger was hit by one of Voldemort's followers).

The other two, mere children as well, have since been identified as Draco Malfoy and Millicent Bullstrode.

I have been saving clippings of Mr. Potter since the first time he defeated Voldemort sixteen years ago and I know that he was not friendly with Mr. Malfoy or Miss Bullstrode. They were quoted in numerous articles saying awful, blasphemous things about him in an effort to make him appear insane to those of us who did not know better…to those of us who feared even the slightest ounce of truth in his stories of Voldemort's return.

And yet, in spite of it all, it was these who sacrificed everything; their families, friends, beliefs, and teachings…without hesitation, the moment Mr. Potter and his friends were threatened. That moment cost them their lives…what more can you ask of your `enemies'? It puts things into an odd sort of perspective, doesn't it?

I am very much aware that the deaths themselves are not a surprise. No one knows better then you the lives that were lost during the battle. In all my years I have known very little to take you by surprise. However, I do not think that until now you have had a full understanding of the circumstances surrounding the tragic deaths of the three young, aforementioned lives; I am just sorry that I am the one to tell you…that I am the only one who can.

I am also sorry to say that I did not recognize the men who killed Mr. Malfoy and Miss Bullstrode. I chose not to follow because I felt that my role would be better served in the telling and not so much in the revenge… there had already been enough of that. Although I knew that at some point I would have to relay the events of that night, I have spent the last two weeks writing and rewriting this letter…to the point that I had nearly thrown out the idea all together. It was then that I remembered the sacrifices of those two young, brave wizards and I knew I had to tell you the truth so you could decide what to do with it.

For now I must ask that you respect my request for anonymity, I am not yet prepared to face this any more than I have in this letter. This is something I'd like kept as much between us as is possible.

I would also like to take just a moment to thank you, sir, for mentoring such a great young man. Please let Mr. Potter know that while it will not make up for all he has lost, we are all eternally grateful for everything that he has done…just as we are grateful to you and Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley.

Sincerely,

A Now Not-so-Silent Observer

P.S. When I went to check on Miss Chang I found the enclosed book lying on the ground next to her. I am aware that I should not have taken it but I felt strongly compelled to do so at the time. It is locked and I did not try to force it open. My hope is that it will shed further light on what led her to take such drastic action.

Harry finished reading the letter and looked up at Dumbledore. "To say that I'm shocked would be an understatement." He said. "I find this so incredibly hard to believe."

"I would not have believed it myself if it did not fit so perfectly with Professor Trelawney's warning." Dumbledore said. "I have prided myself on looking for the good in people but I must admit that I never would have thought that Mr. Malfoy and Miss Bullstrode would make such a sacrifice for you…or any of us for that matter. My instincts tell me that their intention was not to kill Miss Chang but to stun her so they could turn her in. I believe it was the combination of their spells that was the cause of her death."

Another thought struck Harry; one more thing he couldn't quite believe. "How could I not notice that they were missing from graduation?" He asked. "I know of course that Cho graduated last year so there was no reason to miss her. But the others…"

"Harry, you have been nowhere but the infirmary since the battle. First you were in a bed of your own and since you awoke you have been with Miss Granger. You attended the graduation only because Professor McGonagall gave you no choice. I am not at all surprised that you did not notice." Dumbledore replied.

"But this was Malfoy. How could I miss Malfoy? He's been nearly everywhere I've been for the last seven years." He said. "I just can't believe I didn't notice. And Cho…doing this…what is that about? You mentioned Cedric. I remember that she used to try and talk to me about him all the time. I wouldn't allow it. Are you telling me now that she blames me for Cedric's death? If so, what does that have to do with Hermione? None of this makes any sense."

"I believe your answers can be found in here." Dumbledore said as he picked up the book that Harry had seen on his desk when he walked in. He handed it to Harry.

"This is the book that was found with Cho?" He asked as he reached for it.

"Yes. I have already read it. It is quite enlightening, Harry." He said.

"You seem to have learned a lot from it. I can tell there is a lot you haven't told me. It's good then, that it was picked up." He said. "I'm curious about something though Professor, why was the letter not signed? Why wouldn't the author want to be known?"

"Oftentimes fear prevents us from exposing too much of ourselves. The author of this letter has admittedly lived in fear for many years. Circumstances may have changed with the defeat of Tom Riddle but there are some things that are still difficult to let go of; fear is one of them. I am quite sure that at some point we will learn his identity but for now it is best to respect their desire to remain anonymous." Dumbledore said. "Also Harry, you must remember that the author of this letter witnessed two murders. I am not naïve enough to believe that all of Voldemort's followers vanished with him…nor should you be. The two men who killed Mr. Malfoy and Miss Bullstrode may still be out there. Please Harry; do not assume the letter is not true just because you cannot identify its source."

"But how can you be so sure that the events described actually occurred? Maybe Trelawney is using this to her advantage. First she brings you the warning and then she writes this letter to back it up." He said. "Or maybe she had someone else write the letter."

"Professor Trelawney, Harry. While you may not be a student any longer, you mustn't be disrespectful whilst residing here." Dumbledore said.

"Okay, Professor Trelawney then. How do you know it wasn't a setup?"

"Why Harry? Why do you feel it would be necessary for her to go to such extremes? What would she have to gain?" Dumbledore asked solemnly. "Have you forgotten that I am an expert legilimens? Do you suddenly doubt my ability to distinguish between the truth and a lie?"

"No sir, I do not doubt you. But I was under the impression that she was here to be protected after she told you the prophecy. With Voldemort gone there is no longer a need for her protection, she would be free to go now. You said yourself that you have reason to doubt the accuracy of her visions. Why would she stay on as a professor? A setup like this would have proven that she did have the gift and it could go a long way toward securing her position." Harry said.

"I understand why you may think she would no longer be a professor here, but I assure you that her reasons for staying go well beyond your assumptions. Those reasons were between she and I and it is not something I plan to detail for you at this time." Dumbledore said. "Suffice it to say that Professor Trelawney had no reason to lie or to set up such an elaborate scheme. Her position here would have been secured until such a time that she terminated it or I am no longer Headmaster."

"Would have been? What do you mean by `would have been'?" Harry asked.

"Professor Trelawney was killed Harry, just prior to the battle. She was discovered in her classroom by Mr. Filch just a few hours before the battle began. With the battle starting there was no time to investigate. As such, we were unaware of who was behind it. There were a lot of witches and wizards in the castle at that time. All of us preparing together to go to war. Anyone could have gone to the tower." Dumbledore said softly.

"But killing curses can be traced can't they?" Harry asked anxiously. "Isn't there some way to find out?"

"She was not killed by a killing curse." Dumbledore said gravely. "She was poisoned. A broken cup lay on the floor next to her, leading us to believe that her tea had been tampered with."

"Oh my…" Harry said. "This is unbelievable."

"The question now is what do we do with this information?" Dumbledore said. "I believe the best course of action is to allow you time to read and digest the information in Miss Chang's journal."

"I agree. I would also like to wait for Hermione to wake up. She is just as much a part of this as I am. She should have a say in what we decide to do with this information." Harry said.

"I believe that's wise, Harry; she has always been your voice of reason. Whatever the decision, we must ensure that the roles of Mr. Malfoy and Miss Bullstrode are brought to light. We must not allow their deaths to be marred simply because they were the children of Death Eaters. We do not choose the family to which we are born...but by their actions they chose the family for which they died. We cannot forget that." Dumbledore said solemnly.

"Yes, sir." Harry said. "I still find it so hard to believe. We will be sure to honour them in some way. I believe that a part of Hermione has always felt that there was some good in Malfoy. Millicent…I'm not so sure. It's nice to be proven wrong." He looked up at Dumbledore and smiled. "I just can't believe I feel indebted to Malfoy. He's been such a pain for the last seven years! Who would have guessed he'd do this? Probably thought it would be a nice way to torture me…" He said.

"You are welcome, Harry, to look over that book at your leisure although there are some things that I feel you must know now." Dumbledore said. "That book you hold is a journal. It belonged to Miss Chang. She began writing in it just after Mr. Diggory's death. She…"

Suddenly there was a pounding on the door that caused both Dumbledore and Harry to jump. Dumbledore raised his hand in a sweeping gesture and the door opened. A crying Dobby was standing nervously on the other side…

"Dobby?" Harry said as he jumped quickly out of his seat and made for the door. "Dobby, what is it? What's happened?" He asked desperately.

"Dobby made promise to Harry Potter that if Miss Hermione…" Dobby began.

Harry was already halfway down the steps on his way to her before Dobby could finish his sentence. "I'm coming Hermione." He whispered.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N2: We should be getting back to Hermione in the next chapter. I haven't forgotten there's another cliffhanger to be dealt with. Stay tuned…

-->