Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

A/N: I quickly put this chapter together this morning. It's very short but I wanted to post something before things get hectic again. I have reviewed it and did not find any glaring errors or inaccuracies. However, that does not mean they aren't there. If you come across something, please feel free to mention it so I can fix it.

BTW…I neglected to mention in my A/N Chapter 6 that the version Harry is reading is the Disney version. It is my version that is different from the rest.

Thanks for reading and most especially for reviewing. Happy holidays! H_HrFan

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Answer Lies Within

"What…" Hermione lowered her hand and found that her fingers were dry. She lifted her hand to her cheek once more and felt nothing there…no trace of the dampness she was sure she felt moments ago. But I felt it. She thought. I'm sure I did.

Another voice, unrecognizable to her, whispered, "Yes, you did. But do you recognize it? Can you feel from whence it came?"

Hermione thought for a brief moment and unbeknownst to her, she replied aloud to the voice, "No. Tell me."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just then Harry began to rise to return to his seat and her book. He didn't get far before he whispered, "I love you, Hermione."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suddenly, she was filled with a comforting warmth. I can feel him. She thought. The man from my dream. Who is he? Will I …

Hermione's thoughts were abruptly interrupted by Trelawney's answer to her question, "That's what I intend to do. Did I not ask you to come closer so I could tell you? What is wrong with you child?"

"What…" Hermione looked at Trelawney and shook her head, trying to clear the thoughts that plagued her. "What did you say?" She asked. She lowered her head and concentrated, trying to hold onto the warmth.

In her state, Hermione did not see the questioning look that passed between the three other women in the room. Nor did she see the shake of Trelawney's head that caused the two younger women to quickly look away from her.

"I am not going to sit here and play games with you Her-my-oh-nee. What is wrong with you?"

"Nothing. Nothing's wrong. It's just…I thought…I thought I felt…" The warmth now gone, she looked back at Trelawney and once more up at the ceiling. Dismissively she finished, "Nothing. It's nothing. Never mind." She took a deep breath and began her walk to Trelawney. When will I get some time to myself to think?

Hermione silently gave herself another pep talk, "Okay, Hermione. Just listen to what she has to say, so you can get out. There are too many things to think about to waste any more time here."

When she reached the side of the bed where Trelawney lay, Trelawney pointed to a chair, "Sit." She said. "It is time you learned what you will be doing whilst you are here."

Hermione swallowed hard, "Doing?" She asked tentatively.

"Yes, child. Doing. Why do you insist upon making me repeat myself?" Trelawney's voice was rising, her temper flaring. "You listen to me now child and you listen good. I'll not repeat myself again. Do you understand?"

Hermione nodded.

"For you, I will speak slowly so as to ensure your understanding. I was under the impression you were a bright girl but thus far you have proven quite adept at playing stupid. First of all, I wish to make this point very, very clear. There is no magic here. This I will repeat. There is NO magic here. You will not have your wand. Everything you do will be done with your hands. Do you understand?"

Hermione had not realized until that moment that she'd been without her wand. So much had happened since she'd awoken that it hadn't yet dawned on her to look for it. Just as well, I suppose. She thought. Wouldn't do me any good anyway. Although … it is worth a try to find out where it is.

"Where is my wand? What have you done with it?" She demanded.

Trelawney looked from Millicent to Cho and raised her hands toward Hermione "Do you see what I mean? Do you see it?" She asked. The girls nodded and she looked back at Hermione, "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid girl. What would you like for me to say? Do you want me to give you hints? Do you want me to play games with you until you find it? Well, here is your hint…your wand … IS NOT HERE!" She yelled. "Do you understand me now? There is no magic here. Your wand would not work nor did you bring it with you. Now I am tired of your questions. Do not speak again until I have finished or you have need to answer a question. Answer, Her-my-oh-nee…not ask. When I have finished you may ask what you desire. But, once again, know this. I will answer only those questions for which I am compelled to answer. Ask your question wisely, little one. You'll not get another chance."

Hermione crossed her arms and stuck out her chin; determined not to let Trelawney know that she was more than just a little frightened of what was to come. "Fine." She said. "Talk. The sooner you finish the sooner I can get out of here…and away from the three of you." She looked around the room as she finished, glaring from face to face, wanting them to believe she wasn't intimidated by them. Normally she wouldn't be but now it was the three of them against only one of her and magic was not on her side. The odds were not good.

She returned her attention to Trelawney when she heard the woman say, "Insolent little -"

"Yes?" Hermione said sweetly, only the cold, hard look in her eyes conveying what she truly felt.

Trelawney took a deep breath before she continued on as if Hermione hadn't said anything, "You are here to work. You are here to do whatever is asked of you. You have so much concern for the plight of the house elf it is time you learned how the house elf lives. Perhaps it will give you more insight as you fight so foolishly for their cause." Her eyes were alight, her voice becoming more animated. "Tell me Her-my-oh-nee. What do you remember from the story of Cinderella?"

"Well-" She closed her eyes and thought back to the last time she'd heard the story. She was ten years old, sitting on her mother's lap listening to her read. She smiled at the memory as she began to speak, "Cinderella had a loving father but his wife died. He wanted Cinderella to have a family so he married a woman with two daughters. One day there was a ball and all the young girls were invited to attend. Cinderella wanted to go but she didn't have anything to wear until she met her Fairy Godmother who gave her a beautiful gown. Then she went to the ball and danced with the Prince until Midnight when the clock started chiming. She ran away. She lost her glass slipper. The Prince found it and swore that he would marry only the girl who fit the slipper. The slipper fit Cinderella and she married the Prince and they lived happily ever after." Hermione opened her eyes and looked at Trelawney when she finished. She was surprised to find the woman staring so blatantly at her.

"Is that it? Is that what you remember? You are leaving a lot out of the story Her-my-oh-nee. What do you remember of the stepmother and stepsisters?"

"Only that they were mean to her and jealous of her. I was a child. I was too young to care about their actions. I wanted fairy tales and happy endings, just like every other girl my age." Hermione said defensively.

"Why do you think it is that we are so readily able to go from one good thing, straight into another with no regard for how we got there? Take your version of Cinderella. She has a loving father, who I might add; lost his wife…did Cinderella not lose her mother too? Then, she meets and marries the Prince. Where is the path she took to get there? In your telling of the story there is no struggle. There is no burning desire to see her happy. Why do you care if she is happy? I told you Her-my-oh-nee that I would not help you but now I feel I must. But only a little, for I fear that your ignorance will keep us here forever if I do not. Are you ready to hear what I have to say? It will require thought on your part, are you actually prepared to use your brain to think? Once again, I will say it only once."

Hermione nodded, unsure of what to say.

"I told you that each of us has been brought here for a purpose and that your first step to leaving this place is to figure out why. If you look within yourself and answer the following question honestly you should be able to put together the first piece of your puzzle. Are you sure you are ready?"

Hermione nodded again and this time, in a soft voice she answered, "Yes. I'm ready."

"Okay. Think Her-my-oh-nee. I will give you only the question. Not the answer." She said looking straight into her eyes. "Here is your question. Why do so many people see fairy tales the way that you do, only remembering the good and blissfully ignorant of the bad? If you can answer that question honestly you will be on your way to finding what you seek."

"I- I- I don't know." Hermione stammered. She'd never thought before of fairy tales being anything but happy. She hadn't time for fairy tales in the years since she began Hogwarts. Cinderella had been left behind when she was ten and what did she care then about paths and struggles and pain? Her parents were loving and she had no fear of wicked stepmothers and stepsisters. Sure, she knew they were bad, but what did it matter as long as Cinderella was happy in the end? Just how bad could the `bad' have been? I wish I had that book now. She thought.

"Think about it Her-my-oh-nee. You do not have to answer now." Trelawney said softly. Hermione could have sworn she heard an ever-so-slight trace of sympathy in her voice. Trelawney cleared her throat, "There is a dual purpose to what you will be asked to do here. One is to fulfill the requirement of any good Cinderella story. Two is to give you time to think so we may get out of here. I, for one, am tired already of the role for which you have provided me. If I stay much longer I fear my flair for the dramatic will somehow diminish."

"Oh, but you really are much more tolerable this way." Hermione said helpfully. She could hear Millicent and Cho quietly laughing in the background and she smiled.

Trelawney looked at her as if she were a nasty bug she'd like to step on. Ignoring her once again she said, "Okay. Now we shall go on to what will be required of you. Oh yes, dear girl, this shall be fun…and quite enlightening, I assure you. You will sweep and mop the floors, do the laundry, iron and fold the clothes, clean the drapes, and scrub the kitchen and bathrooms until they glisten…on all five floors. Just like your dear, sweet Cinderella. That is where you will begin. Once you have completed those chores you will report back to me. At which time, I will turn you over to your sisters so they may utilize your services. Do not forget Her-my-oh-nee. You are the reason we are here. If you do not like what you see here or the hell that you have created then you must think quickly to find what you seek."

Hermione was anxious to get away. She looked at the three women in the room and saw the look of malice reflected in their eyes. Oh yes, they were going to enjoy having Hermione Granger, best friend of The-Boy-Who-Lived, and Miss I-know-everything-and-you-don't, doing their bidding…

She looked down at the floor once more. Now if only she could find the answers…

-->