Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

A/N: I had fun writing this one…I hope you find it as humorous as I did…or maybe I'm just delirious.

At any rate, I believe that all of the answers for what they have to do can be found in this chapter. Just please don't expect that I would give everything away all at once.

I hope you enjoy it…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry Has an Answer

"…I think I might know how to get Cho's forgiveness."

"O-kay…I gathered that much, Harry, but what's the rest? How do you know?" She asked calmly, not wanting to get her hopes up too high.

"Well, you laid out all the clues…except one. That's the one that I have." He said proudly.

"HARRY!" She said in mild frustration, "would you please just get on with it?"

Harry clipped her chin and smiled once more, "What's wrong Hermione, can't stand it when the shoe is on the other foot? If I recall, you did something similar to this to me earlier. Maybe I'm just waiting for you to release that deep breath you should be holding in anticipation of my next words."

Hermione laughed, "Men!"

"Well?"

"Well, what?"

"Well? When are you going to release that breath?"

Hermione laughed again. "Harry, I'm not holding my breath."

"But this is a breath holding moment. Come on, Hermione, I'm not telling until you release that breath." He said stubbornly as he crossed his arms in front of him and watched her in amusement.

"Fine Harry, watch…" She said as she sucked in a deep breath. She blew it out immediately as she watched Harry puff out his cheeks and roll his eyes at her. "That's not fair!" She exclaimed as she reached out to smack him playfully on the shoulder.

"What?" He asked innocently. "You know, Hermione, that really doesn't count. You're supposed to hold it in anticipation, remember? You're not supposed to start laughing and blow it back out like that. You're gonna have to try again."

Hermione smiled at him coyly and placed her hands up to mouth, her eyes were wide as she did her best southern belle accent, like the ones in the old movies her mom liked to watch, "Oh dear me." Gasp. "I can hardly stand to be kept waiting, dear sir. Please oh please tell me what you have to say. Look…" she pointed to herself and opened her eyes wider, "I'm even holdin' my breath," She said as she breathed in deeply.

Caught up in her act, Harry responded in kind and in a nice, slow voice he said, "Well Little Missy, let me just tell you what I thinks goin' on `round here…" He looked at her in horror before he yelled, "You can breathe now, Hermione, breathe!"

Hermione started laughing and her breath rushed out in a loud "WHOOSHHHH!"

Harry started laughing, "What the hell were you thinking?" He somehow managed to say.

Her eyes went wide and her hands returned to her mouth before she spoke with her southern belle accent again, "Well, I do declare! I was just waitin' for you to get to the good part. I'tweren't my fault it was taking you so long to get to the point."

"Okay, okay." He said conceded. "I give up, you win…I'll tell you."

Hermione crinkled her eyes and took a half-bow as she proudly accepted her victory.

Harry smiled at her, "I will get you later though. You can count on it."

She blinked her eyes rapidly and placed her hand over her heart. "Me?" She said innocently. "Why sir, whatever have I done? I was merely holding my breath, hanging on your every word."

"All right," He said, still chuckling at her act. "If you're quite finished I could get to the whole point of this you know?"

"Me?" She asked incredulously. "Why I've been…" She stopped when she heard him laughing at her. It was such a beautiful sound that she forgot her ever-growing frustration as she sat and listened to him. I could listen to him laugh like this for hours, she mused.

Harry finally pulled himself together and leaned forward for a kiss. Just as he got within an inch of her lips she turned her head and his lips landed firmly on her cheek. "Hey!" He said, surprised to find his eyes looking at the side of her head and not into hers.

Hermione turned to him with that look…that look that says, "I'm smarter than you…I can do things with a wand that you can't do…AND I know exactly how to make you talk!"

Harry cleared his throat, "Ahem. So…anyway…" He said, in his best business-like voice as he backed away from her. He grabbed a clean piece of parchment to make a new list.

"Okay, let's see…" He mumbled. "First we have…Cho's forgiveness." He said as he began to write.

Cho's forgiveness

"Then…"

Cedric's love

The battlefield

Draco, Millicent, Cho

The graveyard

The one who suffers the most must set free that which cannot find its way. Find the answers. They shall lead you to where the journey ends and all hearts shall be free to live again.

The shadows

Cedric

The

"Harry?" Hermione interrupted. He'd been concentrating so hard that he hadn't heard Hedwig come through the door carrying letters for them. "Harry, I want to read them. Can we get back to the list in a few minutes?" Her eyes were alight as she looked at the one from her mum and the other from Ron.

Harry nodded and set the quill down and watched as she opened the letter from her mother first and began to read it out loud…

Hi Sweetheart! Hi Harry,

I'm so excited. I can't even begin to tell you how thrilled your father and I were to get that letter from Harry. (Thank you Harry, so much). We haven't told anyone yet, none of the papers or anything, because we thought it might start them to making things up…the very thing we've been trying to avoid this entire time.

So how are you? What have you been doing? Are you eating okay? How are you feeling? Is there anything you need? Is there something I can send you? Oh Honey, I just need you home. I hope you can come home soon. Harry didn't mention in his letter about when you might be able to come, he only said that `magical blood' should help you to heal faster than non-magical blood. I hope that's true, because I really, really, really want to see you.

I know I don't usually get over-excited like this but honey, you have to bear with me. These last few weeks have been absolutely miserable without you. Thank God for Harry. If it weren't for him we'd probably be locked up in some padded cell or something…yes, your father too.

Harry, you did very well (wink) at not telling us anything. We are really looking forward to `talking' to you when you both come home.

"Harry, what does she mean by that?" Hermione asked, her eyes narrowed as she studied him.

Harry craned his neck and reached up to loosen the already loose collar on his t-shirt. "Ahem. Well…"

He looked at her a bit uncomfortably and she raised her eyebrows, questioning him.

"Come on Hermione," He said with forced lightness, "you know how your mum is."

Hermione laughed, "Yes, Harry, I do and I must say that I don't recall ever getting a letter from her with the word `wink' on it before. Care to explain it?"

Harry shifted uncomfortably, "Um…no. Not really." He squeaked.

Hermione shook her head, "I'm going to let you off the hook…for now. But only because you look so cute being all uncomfortable like that. BUT…" She added quickly, "you do have to tell me one thing."

"What?" He squeaked again as he began to scratch a non-existent itch on his neck.

"Did you tell my parents about us? Did you tell them that I was in love with you?"

Harry shook his head. "Um…no. Not in so many words…no." He stammered.

"Not in so many words? What does that mean, `not in so many words'?" She asked, clearly enjoying his discomfort.

"Oh, come on, Hermione," He pleaded, "I had to write them a letter and I was excited that you were awake. Cut me a break. I really didn't tell them anything. I maybe just hinted at some stuff, that's all."

Hermione shook her head and she returned to the letter with a big smile on her face. If he won't tell me, then I get to use my imagination…she squealed in delight to herself.

(Oh! I hope I didn't just get you in trouble for that, Harry…I'm sorry).

Harry rolled his eyes and Hermione laughed some more. "Your mum's a nutter, you know that, right?" Harry teased.

"Like mother, like daughter," She answered wistfully.

Harry chose that moment to remain silent…

Anyway kids, please send us a letter soon to let us know what's happening. I really want you both here, safe, with us. I can't recall ever looking so forward to anything in my life! (Don't tell your father that…he still thinks it's the day we got married (I could never tell him that it was the day you were born…and then the day we were married…). Anyway, just hurry home. I need to feel you in my arms. I'm still waiting for you to snuggle into my lap to read your favorite book.

"Do you really think she'll enjoy reading `Hogwarts: A History'?" Harry joked. "I'd like to see that. Can I be there for that?"

Hermione smiled and smacked him affectionately on the shoulder again before she wiped the tears from her eyes. "Of course you can," She whispered. "I want you there for everything."

Harry mentioned something about the end of the Cinderella book. I'm still wondering what that's about. It's really too bad that we only have one copy, you know? Hmm…guess I'll just have to wait until you bring it back home. Curious, really.

Anyway, don't forget to send me a letter. I really need to know that you're all right.

I love you both and honey, I miss you something awful. Hurry home.

All my love,

Mum

When Hermione finished reading the letter Harry quickly pointed out the one from Ron. He didn't know how he'd gotten away without so much as a word from her regarding the comment her mum had made about the end of the book, but he wasn't about to dwell on it either. "So…um…Ron's letter next, huh?" He said quickly.

"Harry?" She said in a bizarre combination of amusement and warning.

He looked at her, his face the mask of innocence, "Yes, dear?"

"You do know I'm going to see that letter when we get home, right?" She informed him.

"Yes, dear." He repeated, though this time it was a statement, not a question.

Hermione smiled and shook her head again. Men!

She handed Harry Ron's letter to open and read out loud…

Just as he was getting ready to start, a realization hit him. "Hermione?" He asked, his voice now serious.

"Yes?" She asked, surprised by his sudden change in mood.

"How come you never questioned if Ron was dead? I mean, from your dream, you know? Everyone else in it was dead, how come you never wondered about Ron?"

Hermione thought for a moment. It had never occurred to her that Ron would be dead. "For one, I think I remember you mentioning him at some point." She said slowly, as she tried to remember the context of the conversation.

"And?" Harry questioned. "There's more, isn't there?"

She nodded. "I think I would know somehow, you know? With the connection we have, I think I would know if I needed to worry or if he was gone. Also, when you think about it, he wasn't really there. In my dream, I mean. He was only a mirage, it was you the whole time. Only…" She looked up at him as a thought struck her, "maybe that's the real reason I couldn't see you. Maybe it didn't really have anything to do with Cho…"

"What do you mean `it didn't have anything to do with Cho'? What didn't? What are you talking about, Hermione?" He asked the questions quickly, barely giving her time to register them.

"Not seeing you. Maybe I couldn't see you because you weren't dead. Maybe Ron was there because I knew it wasn't him that I wanted to see, like it was a mask or something. If I'd really seen you, it might have meant you were…" She trailed off.

"You mean you never saw me?" He asked, not sure whether to be relieved or disappointed. He certainly didn't want to be dead, but Hermione had been so adamant about going back to protect him that he was under the impression that she'd actually seen him there.

"No. I did. But it was right before I was pulled out of there. It was only for a minute and I think it was just my confirmation, you know? Just my mind reassuring me that I'd chosen right; that you are the one I love." She said in wonder. "All this time I thought sure it had something to do with Cho. I think in some ways it did, but now I think I like this new reasoning better. The more credit I can take away from Cho, the better I feel." She said happily, satisfied for the moment that she had one less thing to be angry about. That would surely help when it came to finally freeing herself.

"Wow," Harry exclaimed, "I didn't realize when I asked that question that you'd have some sort of epiphany. That's incredible."

Hermione laughed and opened her eyes wide. "It is incredible," she confirmed, "it feels really great. Why don't you read Ron's letter. Let's see if he gives us any more insight into anything." At that comment, they looked at each other and laughed. As much as they both loved Ron, it wasn't very often that he was `insightful' and the thought of it happening now bordered on the absurd.

Harry returned his attention to the letter and began to read…

Wow Harry. That's great news. Welcome back Hermione. It's about time, don't you think? I mean jeez, you got the man all scared and stuff. Typical woman, I bet. Right Harry? Nah, I'm just kidding with you. It is really good to have you back though.

Harry, you were right. Did you hear my mum scream? Liked to blow the doors off the old Burrow, she did. She's been hollering about when you're coming to see us. She's real anxious to see you both. Not that the rest of us aren't mind you but…I know you wanna be alone (ha ha…hope that gets you in trouble Harry).

Seriously mate, you got me worried about this Cho journal stuff. What's going on? This time I wouldn't listen too much to Dumbledore if I were you. He can't always be right, can he? I mean, you and Hermione have been friends for a long time. Whatever comes next should be easy after everything you've already been through. Don't you think? I wouldn't pay any mind to that journal either. Whatever Cho's problem was, there's not much you can do about it now, is there?

Harry chanced a glance at Hermione to see if she was at all affected by Ron's words about Cho. If he didn't know her as well as he did, he probably would have missed the spark that passed quickly through her eyes. There was no way he could invite Ron to see her before she was finally free of Cho's demons. Who knew what he might say or what she might do. Once again he was thankful that Dumbledore had her wand securely hidden in his…

"Excuse me, Harry Potter, sir?" Harry looked up at the distinct sound of Dobby's voice and he recoiled when he saw what the little elf held in hands. "Excuse me sir." He said again.

Harry closed his eyes and inhaled deeply. He opened them and exhaled long and slow before he spoke, "Hi Dobby. What's going on?" He said in an unnaturally cheery voice.

Dobby smiled, "Hello, Harry Potter, sir. Miss Hermione." He said with a nod in her direction. "Professor Dumbledore asked Dobby to bring this. He said Miss Hermione would need it very soon." He said as he handed Hermione her wand.

Her eyes flashed briefly at Harry before she took it from Dobby's outstretched hand. "Thank you, Dobby." She said graciously, "I've been wondering where this was."

"You're welcome, Miss." Dobby said proudly. "This was Dobby's pleasure."

Harry nodded his head and pursed his lips, now perhaps a little frightened by the power Hermione held in her hands.

His thoughts were interrupted by Dobby, "Is Harry Potter, all right sir? Did Dobby do something wrong?" He asked worriedly.

Harry quickly tried to relieve Dobby's self-imposed stress, "No, Dobby, you're fine. Everything's great. Thanks for bringing Hermione's wand, we appreciate that." He said a little too quickly…and a lot too falsely.

Dobby looked at him as though he couldn't quite figure out what was wrong but he didn't want to push Harry Potter any further.

"Okay then, Dobby will go now." He said as he turned around to walk out the door, feeling not quite right about the whole thing. He hated to see Harry Potter upset and he really hated thinking he was the cause of it.

"Dobby?" Harry called out to him. When Dobby turned around Harry smiled, "Sorry, Dobby." He said apologetically. "We were just reading this letter from Ron and you surprised me, that's all. It's okay, really."

Dobby smiled, feeling much happier than he had a moment ago. He turned away and apparated out of the infirmary, leaving Harry really wishing he could apparate like that around Hogwarts…especially now that Hermione had her wand back.

"So…" She said as she waved her wand toward Harry's chair and casually turned it into a vase. "You're not upset that I have my wand back…" she turned to look at him with a smile, "…are you?"

Harry looked down and silently counted to five. He would have preferred ten or maybe even twenty, but that was taking an unnecessary risk so he stuck with five. He looked back at her, concentrating hard keeping his eyes devoid of emotion…Occlumency, he thought, that's what I need to do…clear my mind.

"Harry?" Hermione said sweetly. When he looked at her, she smiled and continued, "You do realize how long it's taking you to answer, don't you? By the time you finish clearing your mind and trying to hide the truth you will have forgotten the question."

Harry laughed and a great sense of relief washed over him. "No, Hermione. I'm not upset you got your wand back. I'll admit though, it will scare me when Cho suddenly makes an appearance."

"You're right, Harry." She stated matter-of-factly. "Here," she said as she held out her wand to him, "you hold on to it until I need it. We'll know when that time comes."

Harry took her wand gratefully and waved it at the transfigured chair, returning it to its natural shape. Then he put it under his pillow until he could do something proper with it. He looked at Ron's letter and back toward Hermione. "Shall we finish?"

When she nodded her head he began to read again…

Well, you need to let me know when I can come there or when you're coming here. I really want to see that journal and find out all this mysterious stuff that's happening. Man…nothing exciting ever happens to me. Well…unless I'm with you guys of course.

I've been working on our statement to the `Quibbler'. Once we all get together you guys can look at it and we can make changes. I think I done pretty good though.

"I think I done pretty good though," Hermione repeated with a laugh. "Oh. I can't wait to see this."

Harry chuckled at her and continued reading…

Oh yeah, I almost forgot. Hermione, before you leave there, you might want to see about seeking some professional help for those nightmares. Trelawney, Malfoy, Millicent Bullstrode, and Cho? I hope you're not scarred for life by something like that. Scary, if you ask me. And Harry…you gotta let me in on all that crazy talk about Malfoy and Millicent…they did WHAT? I had to read it about six times before I finally realized I wasn't seeing things. You shouldn't oughta do that to a guy, you know?

Harry Potter, The-Boy-Who-Lived-Again, is getting philosophical? That's a scary thought too, you know? Next thing you know, you'll be replacing Dumbledore as the almighty know-it-all. (Don't tell him I said that…it's not really supposed to sound that bad).

Well, I'm going to sit right here on these steps and wait for your reply. Okay, maybe not. I got a date with Luna tonight and somehow I don't think she'd like sitting here on the steps just waiting for a letter from the likes of you two! (Just kidding, I suppose it'd give her more time to daydream though, really).

It looks like Hedwig has another letter to deliver to you, so I'm going to seal this up so she can be on her way. Let me know when I can see you guys. I miss you.

Take care,

Your friend,

Ron

"That's it." Harry said when he finished. "When do you want to write him back? I did tell him in my letter that I would let him know when he could come here or when we could go there. What do you think?"

"I think, that for right now, I just want to get through this and then we'll talk about it. Is that all right?" She asked, looking at him for any sign that it might not be. "I'm probably going to want to see my parents first. Maybe Ron could just visit us there or something."

Harry nodded, "Sounds good to me. Let's just get through this." He repeated. "Now, where were we?"

Hermione handed him the parchment with his new list on it, "You were trying to explain all of this to me." She told him.

Harry looked over the list to find out where he'd left off…

Cho's forgiveness

Cedric's love

The battlefield

Draco, Millicent, Cho

The graveyard

The one who suffers the most must set free that which cannot find its way. Find the answers. They shall lead you to where the journey ends and all hearts shall be free to live again.

The shadows

Cedric

"What's that last one?" She asked curiously.

"Wands." He said as he finished writing it down.

The wands

"The wands?" Hermione asked, looking puzzled. "Harry, are you sure you know what you're talking about?"

He leaned forward and kissed her lips, his eyes shining with the knowledge that for once…he knew something she didn't…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, this is only a little bit of a cliffhanger…it's really not that bad. All of the clues are there. Honestly! I'll continue writing but I probably won't post again until tomorrow. At least you know it won't be hanging out there for too long!


-->