Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

A/N: This is short but I think you'll find it packed full of what most of you have been waiting for. This chapter is my favorite so far!

For those of you who may have already read this chapter, I did make a few corrections to it. I think it may even be a little longer now.

I hope you enjoy it…

Tell Me I'm Not Dreaming…

As he raced to get to Hermione, Harry was picturing Dobby standing in the doorway of Dumbledore's office and thoughts ran rampant through his head as he wondered what could possibly be wrong with her…what had happened to make Dobby so upset? Was she still alive? Had she awoken? His thoughts began to jumble together as new fears, each worse then the one before, continued to flood his mind. He ran as fast as his legs would carry him but he felt like he was running through quicksand, as time seemed to have slowed down. The trek from Dumbledore's office felt like it had taken hours despite the fact he'd arrived only moments after seeing Dobby.

When he got there he found Winky standing on his chair next to Hermione's still body. She was holding Hermione's hand as tears poured from her large, protuberant eyes.

Harry froze at the sight of the seemingly lifeless body of Hermione and the tears of the tiny house elf. Something was terribly wrong…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"What the…" Hermione looked around. Too many things were happening at once and for a moment she could not think straight. Somewhere in the distance she could hear the clock as it began the countdown to midnight…dong…dong…dong…dong…dong…. She grabbed at the fingers that held tight to her arm and twisted them as she turned to face her assailant. She found herself staring directly into the eyes of Cho. "I've had about enough of you." She snarled as she continued to twist Cho's fingers.

Cho did not flinch. It was as though she could not feel it. Hermione looked at their hands then back at Cho in surprise. Her fingers were bent nearly all the way back and Cho showed no reaction; Hermione quickly let go and backed a couple of steps away.

Dong

"Why don't you go back to dancing with the Prince?" Cho said malevolently.

Hermione shook her head. "What are you talking about? What Prince?"

Cho looked beyond Hermione and pointed. "Why Prince Brian of course. The real honored guest. Don't tell me you didn't know. You looked so cozy earlier." She said sardonically.

Hermione gasped in surprise. "The Prince? That was the…" She started to say. She turned back to Cho. "That was a nice distraction Cho, thank you. Charming really...the prince, that's great. However, I have someone else I wish to dance with right now." She looked up smiled when she saw him standing there…a mere three feet away; he was nearly within her reach.

Dong

"Do you hear that?" Cho said, tilting her head.

"What? What are you talking about?" Hermione asked impatiently. "I don't have time for this." She started to walk away when Cho grabbed her.

"No. Listen." She said tilting her head once again.

Dong

"The clock." Hermione said. "Midnight."

Cho laughed. "If I'm not mistaken, that was the eighth chime. Only four more to go, Her-my-oh-nee. Do you know yet what you want?"

"Yes." She said turning to look at him once more. "I know exactly what I want." The once red hair had now become jet black and the freckles had been replaced by flawless skin…only the telltale scar marring the perfection that was him. The emerald green eyes were now at home where they belonged; Hermione smiled.

Dong

"Oh really?" Cho said. "Tell me then, what do you see?"

Hermione looked at her and smiled. She spoke only one word, "Harry."

Cho's eyes widened; she could not contain her surprise at Hermione's answer. She turned to look at him and then back at Hermione. Hermione was taken aback by her smile.

Dong

"You see Harry now, do you?" She said. "Well that's quite a change from Ron, wouldn't you say?"

Hermione looked closely at her again before she spoke. "I feel sorry for you, you know? You have become such a pathetic little creature. I have no more time for you." She made a move to return to Harry.

Dong

"Eleven." She heard Cho say softly.

The space between Harry and Hermione had grown substantially. Though the distance separating them was great, she could see him smiling, reaching out to her. It appeared to her as though he was trying to get to her. She reached out for him and tried to take a step toward him…

Dong

"Twelve." Cho said smiling.

Everything seemed to slow down and speed up all at once as the room began to change. Hermione felt as though she were being pulled backward, caught in a vortex, as the room began to spin. She watched as Harry's image became smaller and smaller as her body rose up. "NOOO!" She screamed as she reached out for him. As the last vestiges of Harry and the ballroom disappeared from sight, she felt as though she had awoken from a dream.

In all of the night's activities she had failed to notice the three softly lit, silent figures watching her from where they stood alongside the dance floor. They were smiling broadly…their work was now complete.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione's hand shot up in the air. "NOOOO!" She screamed.

Dobby and Winky had been watching her and both jumped at the sound of her screaming. They watched as her hand fell back to her side and she lay motionless. Scared, Dobby immediately apparated to Dumbledore's office to get Harry.

Though it had felt like hours, Harry had arrived only a few moments after she had screamed. He moved to her bedside and looked at her motionless body.

"What happened Winky?" He asked worriedly. "What's going on?"

Winky jumped at the sound of his voice. She was still in shock.

"Oh! Harry Potter sir. Winky is sorry. She did not see you there."

"Never mind Winky. What's going on with Hermione?" He asked a little more abruptly then he'd intended.

Winky cowered and let go of Hermione's hand. "Miss Hermione screamed just a moment ago. Miss Hermione's arm did this," she said as she raised her own arm to show him, "and screamed, `NO'. Very loudly too, it hurt Winky's ears." She said as she put her hands up to cover them. "Miss Hermione scared Dobby and Winky. Dobby went to get Harry Potter, sir just like Dobby promised."

"She screamed?" Harry said more to himself than to Winky.

"Oh yes, Harry Potter, sir. Very loudly." She said as her hands instinctively moved to cover them again.

He looked at Winky as though surprised to see her still there. "Thank you, Winky." He said. "Would you mind leaving us for a moment? Perhaps you could find Dobby."

"Yes, Harry Potter, sir." She replied. "Winky will go to find Dobby." She jumped down from the chair and walked quickly out of the infirmary.

Harry immediately returned his attention back to Hermione. "Hermione?" He said.

He jumped back as her arm shot up in the air once again as though she were reaching for something. "Don't go." She shouted. "Please…don't go." Her voice became softer as she slowly dropped her arm and began to cry.

Harry's eyes welled up with tears. He sat beside her on the bed and watched her, mesmerized by the sight before him. Real tears were streaming from her eyes…she was coming back. He reached a hand up to gently wipe them away. "Hermione?" He said again.

"Harry." She cried softly. "Come back." This time she bent only her elbow as she reached out; she sounded defeated.

His heart leapt at the sound of his name. What does she mean by come back? He thought briefly. "Hermione, it's me, Harry. I'm here." He said as he continued to gently rub her cheek. "I've always been here."

Still she slept.

Harry got an idea as he watched her. "How does that book end?" He said aloud to himself. He had no idea why he thought the book might hold the answer but he rose quickly from the bed to retrieve it. His place was marked at the point where the clock had begun to chime the midnight hour…signifying it was time for Cinderella to leave the ball. He wasn't interested in what came next, the rest could wait…he hurriedly turned the pages to the end of the book and there he saw it…the kiss. He could only hope that it was the answer he needed now.

He returned to her bedside and gently grabbed hold of her hand. He placed his other hand against her cheek and leaned forward. He was ready to take a chance. His face was barely an inch from hers when he whispered, "I love you, Hermione." He searched her face…still nothing. He closed the distance and kissed her. Not the friendly, chaste kisses he'd been giving her on the cheek and forehead for nearly two weeks. This time he kissed her lips. His kiss was tentative at first as he begged and pleaded with her in his mind…please wake up. Please let this work.

A moment later he felt her lips move beneath his. He did not move his lips from hers as he looked at her, his eyes wide with shock. When her body jerked beneath him he pulled away quickly. Her eyes were closed but a soft smile had now formed on her face. She looked at though she were dreaming a wonderful dream. He gently rubbed his thumb against her tear-stained cheek and she moaned.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione felt as though she were having the best dream of her life. She remembered screaming as she watched the image of Harry disappear. She had cried as she yelled at him not to go. That was when she felt him. She could not see him but she knew that the hand that brushed away her tears belonged to him…she couldn't imagine anyone else making her feel this way.

Then, when she begged him to come back; she heard him. His voice was so gentle, a soothing balm for her tortured soul. "Hermione, it's me, Harry. I'm here. I've always been here." He'd said. She could feel his hand as he continued to gently rub her cheek.

She felt a sudden emptiness when his hand disappeared; darkness surrounded her. She began to look around fervently in the darkness until she realized the truth…she must trust her heart to guide her. Trusting in her eyes had left her blind for far too long…it was then that she felt him again.

His hand held hers while his other found her cheek once again. She could sense that he was coming closer; she could feel it. "I love you, Hermione." He whispered. She wanted to say something…to tell him that she loved him too but she could not form the words. Then she felt it…a sudden warmth that filled her body from head to toe as his lips met hers. His kiss was soft, tentative at first. Her stomach fluttered and she felt herself kissing him back. She regretted not controlling the shiver she'd released as his kiss sent sparks through her. She felt a sudden emptiness as he pulled quickly away. Though his lips were no longer kissing her, she could not relinquish the smile that had found its way to her lips. She could feel him there with her before she felt his hand on her cheek yet again. She could not contain the moan that escaped her at the feel of his touch.

If she were dead, this would certainly qualify as her kind of heaven. If only she could see him…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Hermione, open your eyes." He said gently. "It's time you came back."

She continued to lay there with her eyes shut. The contented smile had not left her face but she made no further movement to indicate that her mind was alive just beneath the surface.

The kiss almost had the effect he'd been hoping for. She had reacted and that was a great start. But there has to be something else, he thought, something more.

He couldn't count the number of times in his life that someone had shaken him awake. In fact, Ron had done it many times when he had been in the throes of a Voldemort-induced nightmare. He decided to give it a try.

He let go of her hand and placed both of his hands on her shoulders and shook her gently. "Wake up Hermione." He said. "Wake up."

She groaned. Her eyes opened suddenly and he jumped back so quickly that he fell off the bed and hit the floor.

Hermione panicked. Harry was not there. "No. No…no…no…no…no." She said as she shook her head. Her vision was not perfectly clear in the sudden brightness of the light but she was sure she would see him the moment she opened her eyes.

Harry heard her saying `no' and he struggled to get up. In his haste he slipped a couple of times and fell back down.

Hermione closed her eyes and willed herself to sleep. If she could only have him in her dreams then she wanted nothing more than to return to them.

Harry finally righted himself and returned to the edge of her bed. Her eyes were closed once again and for a moment he thought he'd imagined them opening.

"Hermione?" He said softly.

The smile returned to her face. She had done it. She had fallen back into the dream where she hoped she would always find him.

He reached out to touch her. "Hermione, open your eyes. I need to know that what I saw was real. Please, Hermione."

No. She thought. I don't want to open my eyes if it means he won't be there.

It worked the first time so he decided to try shaking her again. "No. No…no…no…no…no." She said again as she closed her eyes tighter.

"Hermione?" He said as he continued to gently shake her. This time she shot up and he jumped back; thankful he was able to land on his feet.

"No!" She yelled at him. She was sitting up but she refused to open her eyes. "I have to get back. You have to let me go back. He's waiting for me."

"Who's waiting for you?" He asked.

"Harry." She said softly. She was no longer screaming but he could hear the anxiety in her voice. "Cho. She has him and I have to go back. I have to protect him. I have to tell him…" Her voice drifted away.

"Tell him what?" He said softly.

She fell back against her pillow and sighed. "Tell him that I love him." She said softly. "I never got a chance to tell him." Tears welled up in her eyes and she choked back a sob.

He moved to sit next to her. "But Hermione," he said, "I'm right here."

"No. No you're not. You're not really him." She cried. "This is only a dream. I left him…standing there…you have to let me find him." She kept her eyes closed and turned her head to the side.

"Can a dream do this?" He said softly as he gently pulled her chin up and leaned down to kiss her.

Her eyes opened wide and she reached up to touch his face. She pushed him away gently when she felt his tears. He closed his eyes as her hands moved rapidly across his face and around his head. Her tears began to fall. "You're real." She said wondrously. "You're here."

He opened his eyes and looked deeply into hers. "Yes Hermione, I'm here." He said, his voice barely a whisper. "And I love you, too."

She pulled him to her and he wrapped his arms around her. They held each other that way for a long time…neither wanting to let go for fear of discovering it really was only a dream.

Harry reluctantly pulled away from her as he remembered something she'd said. "Hermione?" He said questioningly as he sat up. "Earlier you said something about Cho. You have no idea how much I hate to bring her up right now, but I can't help wondering what you meant when you said that she had me and that you needed to go back. Go back to where?"

She opened her tearstained eyes and looked up at him. "I don't know Harry. I've been having the most bizarre dream. I saw Cho, Millicent Bullstrode, Draco, and Professor Trelawney. All of them except Cho helped me to realize that I'm in love with you. I can't wait to thank them in person. I don't know if they'll know what I'm talking about, but I have to thank them anyway." She said. "I want to tell you about it, Harry, but I'm too tired right now."

Harry sighed as thoughts of Draco, Millicent, and Trelawney entered his mind. How am I going to tell her, now? He wondered. "Okay, Hermione. You rest now. We have a lot to talk about when you're ready." He said. "I love you and I am so incredibly thankful to have you back and to know that you love me too. All this time…and I wasn't sure that you did."

"All this time, Harry? What do you mean?" She asked.

"You've been in a coma for two weeks, Hermione." He said softly.

Hermione sighed as silent tears began to fall once more. "Two weeks?"

"Don't cry Hermione. We'll talk about it after you've rested. The important thing is that you're back now." He said gently. "I'll sit here with you until you fall asleep. Then I'm going to get some parchment so I can write everyone to let them know that you're back. If you wake up and I'm not here, remember, please, that I will be back. I promise that I won't be gone long. This is no longer a dream, Hermione. You're here with me and I love you."

Her eyes began to close and she began to drift off to sleep. "Okay, Harry. Thank you. I love you, too." She said sleepily. She jerked herself awake and looked at him. "Harry?" She murmured.

"Yes, Hermione?"

"Will you hold me until I fall asleep?"

"Always." He said as laid next to her on the small bed. He kissed her cheek and they both drifted off to sleep…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Neither of them saw Dumbledore standing in the door of the infirmary shaking his head. They deserve this newfound happiness...few, if any, deserve it more, he thought. "But I fear what will happen once they learn the whole truth…"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A/N2: See that? No major cliffhangers…Happy New Year!

There is still a ways to go before this story is complete. I really hope that you'll all be back to see it through to the end even though H/Hr really are back now. There are still a lot of questions to be answered.

-->