Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

A/N: I apologize for the delay in getting this chapter out. I have trouble finding the time to write when my family is home and now that I have homework………you get the idea! I also had a bit of trouble with a certain part that many of you were wondering about…I had the perfect idea until I realized it was from the movie and not the book so I had to find something different from canon! ARGH!!!!!

A lot of this some of you expected, I just hope that I've presented it to you in a way that maybe you weren't expecting. It's a long one this time. After this you will know that I truly am getting to the end. I have a bit of fluff that I just have to put out there but I just couldn't go past the end point on this one…you'll see why.

Well, I hope that you enjoy this bit, I hope it is worth the wait….

Unlike last time, I am the only one to have read this…please feel free to point out any glaring errors so I can fix them. Thanks!

Oh yeah! Just as I promised, NO CLIFFHANGER!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A Bit of Truth

Harry hadn't realized how tired he was until the moment he saw that Hermione was okay. Still holding tightly to her hands he turned to face Dumbledore. "She did it," he said tiredly, albeit proudly. "She figured it out and she did it."

"Am I to assume that you played no part in the success of your venture?" Dumbledore asked knowingly.

"Maybe a little," he said yawning.

"I see that you are exhausted Harry, rest now. I will ask Dobby to deliver some food for when you awaken."

Harry's eyes were drifting shut, he was leaning across his bed to hold on to Hermione and his head was slowly drifting downward. He jerked his head up and returned his gaze to Dumbledore. "Yes, but…"

"No buts, Harry, just rest. You have questions for me and I am prepared to give you the answers you seek. However, you must first rest," he said in a firm tone that brooked no argument.

Harry nodded his head weakly as he crawled onto his bed. He barely had time to kick off his shoes before his eyes closed and he began to dream of his new life with Hermione. It was the first time he could ever remember really not wanting to wake up from one of his dreams; he'd thought it before but this time he really meant it. It wasn't because he was scared to face his reality; but here, in his dream, Hermione had been saved and Cho had been set free and everything appeared right with the world. What if he awakened to discover that they hadn't yet saved her and everything he thought they'd been through hadn't yet happened? No, the dream world he was living in would suit him fine.

He was awakened several hours later by the soft caress of fingers gliding through his hair. He smiled inwardly, knowing without really knowing, that it wasn't a dream…she was back, she was whole, and she was his.

"Not now, Ron, just let me sleep a little longer," he mumbled as he rolled toward her. He could feel her fingers hanging midair, her fingertips just grazing the tips of his hair. He opened his eyes just enough to see the shocked expression on her face and he couldn't contain his laughter. He looked at her when he felt the soft smack on his forehead and heard the sound of her laughter. "Gotcha," he said still laughing.

"I should've known better," she said shaking her head. "I have to admit though, for a second there the sound of Ron's name with my fingers in your hair definitely had me wondering just exactly what did happen in your dormitory at night," she said teasingly with one eyebrow raised.

Harry grabbed her hand and brought it to his lips. "Just a lot of dreaming about you, I imagine," he replied.

Hermione looked at him in surprise, "You never told me you…"

"Of course," he interrupted with a forced look of seriousness, "I was dreaming about Voldemort but Ron…well…." His eyes cut toward her and he saw her cheeks were flushed and she was glaring at him; he laughed again. "Come on, Hermione, you know I'm just kidding. I'm sure I've had a few dreams about you over the years," he said with his eyebrows raised, trying his best to look sexy with bed head and crease marks on his face.

"Do you plan to wake up like this every morning?" she asked in mock exasperation. "I mean, if so, I need to know right now what I'm in for. You are a prat, you know."

"I'll wake up any way you want as long as I'm beside you," he said sincerely.

"Damn," she exclaimed looking away from him.

"What?" he asked in surprise, thinking his answer was smooth. Maybe it really was a dream! He thought worriedly. It's going to be one hell of a long day!

She turned to look at him with narrowed eyes. "You just always know the right thing to say to me, don't you? I can't even pretend to be frustrated with you."

Harry smiled and leaned close to her, "Do you want to be frustrated with me?" he whispered as he kissed her cheek. "I can be quiet if that's what you want," he said kissing the corner of her mouth.

She turned her head and kissed him quickly on the lips and said, "Do you really want to know what I want Harry?"

Harry nodded, "Of course."

"Okay Harry, come closer and I'll tell you," she said. He turned his head and moved closer to her so she could tell him in his ear. "What I really want, Harry," she whispered, "is for you to brush your teeth. Your morning breath is awful."

Harry backed away in shock and Hermione started laughing. "I'm just kidding Harry, come here."

Harry shook his head, "No way, not after a comment like that," he replied. "You know your breath isn't exactly minty fresh but you don't hear me…"

Hermione leaned forward and silenced him with a kiss. "Kidding, Harry," she said softly, "just kidding."

Harry pulled away from her and sniffed the air. "What is that?"

"Come on, Harry, I said I was kidding, let's just…"

"No, can't you smell it?" he said with his nose still up in the air. He turned around and saw the basket that Dobby must have left for them. "There," he said pointing to it, "the basket. I'm starving."

Hermione laughed in relief. She thought for sure she was going to regret teasing him.

"Come on, let's go get washed up and then meet back here for breakfast," she suggested.

"Okay," Harry said, nodding his head eagerly as he eyed the basket.

Less than twenty minutes later they were enjoying their breakfast when Dumbledore entered the infirmary. "Aw, yes, I see that Dobby brought you the food as I requested," he said smiling. On instinct he looked at Hermione, "Never fear, Miss Granger, I asked politely and Dobby was more than happy to oblige," he said then he turned to wink at Harry.

Harry chuckled at the expression on Hermione's face. "But…I…I…" she stammered.

Dumbledore placed his hand on her shoulder, "It's quite all right Miss Granger, I am only teasing you."

Hermione laughed softly, even Dumbledore's jumping on the `tease Hermione about the house elves' bandwagon! Maybe I can use that to my advantage, get some support. Support from Dumbledore would…her thoughts were interrupted when Harry started speaking to Dumbledore.

"So, can we get some answers now?" he asked.

"Ask what you will Harry. I will provide you with the answers to the very best of my ability," Dumbledore said. "I only hope you are prepared to hear all of the answers."

"We are," they both answered eagerly.

"Very well, then, you may begin when you are ready," he said as he conjured a comfortable looking armchair and sat down.

Hermione looked at him in surprise, "Could you…I mean…" she stammered, pointing at his chair.

"Certainly, Miss Granger," Dumbledore replied. With a swish of his wand two more chairs, much like his, appeared across from him. Hermione's eyes lit up and she moved quickly to claim the one she thought would be most comfortable.

She sat down and the chair instantly conformed to her body. She couldn't resist flopping around in it and she found that no matter what position she sat in the chair would change to provide her with the utmost comfort. Her eyes were wide when she looked from Harry to Dumbledore, "I don't suppose you can teach me that trick, could you?" she asked unabashedly. "Or, you know, you could just provide us with a house full of furniture like this for a wedding gift," she added, trying to sound casual but failing miserably in her excitement.

Harry looked shocked and Dumbledore chuckled. "We'll have to see what we can do when the time comes Miss Granger," he replied. "In the meantime, I encourage you to take full advantage of all that chair has to offer."

She looked at them with childlike glee as she got an idea. "Can I just try one more thing? It'll only take a minute."

Harry nodded and looked helplessly at Dumbledore who winked at him then turned to her, smiling at her childlike exuberance. "Certainly, Miss Granger, whatever you'd like."

No sooner had the words come out of his mouth and Hermione was laying down with her feet up the back of the chair and her back resting on the seat with her head hanging over the front. She was looking from Harry to Dumbledore as the chair molded around her and even upside-down she was incredibly comfortable.

Dumbledore and Harry started to laugh when she released long, heavy sigh of contentment. Reluctantly she sat up and situated herself properly on the seat. "Sorry," she said sheepishly, "I'm ready now."

"It's quite all right, Miss Granger, I quite enjoyed seeing your excitement," Dumbledore responded with a chuckle. His expression turned more serious when he turned to Harry. "Now then, shall we proceed?" he asked looking from one to the other.

Both nodded.

"Very well, what is your first question?"

"What…" Hermione began.

"Why…" Harry began at the same time.

"Go ahead Harry," she said.

"I'd like to know why we were left alone by everyone yesterday," he started, "I know…"

"Wait a minute," Hermione interrupted, "I didn't…I mean…yeah, you're right Harry. I hadn't even thought about the fact that someone should have been bothering us yesterday," she said in disbelief. "I can't believe I didn't realize it," she added softly to herself.

"I didn't realize it until we were leaving the ministry and you weren't exactly in a noticing state of mind at the time," he informed her before turning back to Dumbledore. "Anyway, yeah, someone should've been hounding us yesterday. What was up with that?"

Dumbledore smiled mischievously and nodded his head, "Aw, yes, Harry, very observant indeed. First of all, you must know this," he said adamantly, "no matter what answers I provide to your questions you and Miss Granger are responsible for yesterday's outcome. It was your own intellect that got you the answers you needed to save her. Now, as for the reason you were not disturbed, the answer to that is simple enough," he paused to look at them, "you were not harassed simply because I did not want you to be."

"What?" Harry asked, trying to decipher his coded meaning.

"Think back for a moment, Harry," Dumbledore said, "you did not go unnoticed by everyone now, did you?"

Harry thought back to Ollivander, the security guard, Tonks, Mr. Diggory, and so on, and then he shook his head.

"Two nights ago I came looking for you. Needless to say you were not here and I recalled your mentioning a walk so I went outside to look for you. Much to my delight I found you sleeping just beyond the entrance to the castle. It was then that I cast a protective spell over you," he said.

"What kind of protective spell," Hermione asked with great interest.

"The spell is designed to keep your presence hidden to those who would show an interest in you for personal gain. It allowed you to be seen only by those who wished to see you for reasons other than your exposure."

"So that's why Tonks stopped us," Hermione said understanding, "she only wanted to check on us."

"That would be correct. Tonks' interest in you was not selfish intent, she was not interested in getting your story or standing in the way of what you needed to accomplish."

"What about the security guard and Mr. Diggory, and that git Derrick?" Harry asked.

Dumbledore chuckled, "Not fond of Derrick, Harry?" He watched in amusement at the exchange between Harry and Hermione. "He's harmless Harry, a lot of talk that one, pay him no mind," he said waving his hand in the air. "As to why the others saw you, Mr. Ollivander, the security guard, the waitress in the Three Broomsticks, and Derrick, all of those people saw you because you sought them out. Had you walked past the security desk the guard would have been none the wiser."

"Bloody hell," Harry exclaimed, "you mean to tell me that guy shook my hand for nothing? I could've avoided that? I thought we were going to have to hex him when he wouldn't let go of me. He liked to have torn my arm off."

"But that explains why people just stared in our direction, Harry, remember?" Hermione said. "People were stopping to look at the noise the security guard was making but no one came to find out what was going on." She looked at Dumbledore, "But he recognized me, and he saw Harry and I holding hands, we thought for sure he was going to call a reporter or something the minute we walked away."

"Do not worry about him any longer. The moment you walked away his memory of seeing you was wiped clean. He has no recollection whatsoever that you were at the Ministry yesterday."

"Does that go for everyone? I mean…" Harry hesitated.

"No, Harry," Dumbledore answered knowingly, "Mr. Diggory will remember you were there and his sentiments will remain as he stated yesterday. He has released you from the blame he had bound to you for so long."

Harry sighed heavily as the relief flooded through him. If that hadn't been real then…he didn't even want to think about it.

"So then, I guess my next question would be how did Mr. Diggory know where to find us? It seemed awfully convenient that he found us in a deserted corridor. Where were Mr. Weasley and Perkins?"

"Arthur and Perkins spent a good portion of the day investigating regurgitating toilets and the like. It was a very busy day for those in the Misuse of Muggle Artifacts Department," he said ironically. "As for Mr. Diggory, I must say that I can be quite persistent when I set my mind to something. It wasn't difficult to send subliminal messages to him until he realized he either needed to find you or declare himself insane. Common sense would tell you that he would pick the former."

"So you tracked us all day?" Harry snapped at him. "How can you say that this was all done by Hermione and I when you were right there in the middle of it like we were puppets and you were the one pulling the strings?"

"Your anger is understandable Harry, however…"

"Oh, well, thanks for understanding then," Harry said sarcastically.

"Harry, listen to me, certain events needed to take place in order for you to complete your task quickly. Tell me how Miss Granger was acting just before you left the Ministry yesterday."

Harry looked at Hermione as though he hated having to talk about her state of mind; as though it should be kept a secret, locked away in a place only they could access. Hermione eyes were clouded as she nodded and said, "Go ahead and tell him Harry."

"Honestly?" he asked doubtfully looking back at Dumbledore.

"Yes, Harry, that would be the preferred way," Dumbledore said patiently.

"Well, to tell you the truth, she was acting really bizarre. For a minute there I thought maybe Luna Lovegood was speaking through her or something. No offence to Luna, but Hermione was acting really spacey. She kept avoiding looking me in the eyes but her voice sounded vacant, emotionless when she spoke. When we got outside I asked her about apparating and she told me she was fine. I told her we could take other means of transportation and then she disappeared. When we got to site of the battle she told me she was numb, hollow inside. She said she couldn't feel anything and that she really didn't even think she cared," he said solemnly.

Dumbledore looked at Hermione, "Do you remember my telling you that there may come a time when you begin to self-destruct? You asked me for help and I told you I would do everything within my power to help you."

Hermione nodded unable to speak.

Dumbledore looked back at Harry, "What you witnessed yesterday was the beginning of the end. Had you not found the answers as quickly as you did, your battle would be that much harder fought today."

"But she didn't change until she held the container with Cho's wand in it," Harry said assuming the wand was the reason for the change.

"That was the catalyst that sped up the process, but make no mistake, what happened was well on its way to happening with or without the procurement of Miss Chang's wand. I hate to think what might have happened had you not had the foresight to go to Little Hangleton," he said gravely. "So you see Harry, I had to stay involved though I was sure to keep my involvement to a minimum, in order for you to get where you needed to be quickly. Everything you learned, you learned on your own. I did not tell Amos what to say nor did I influence the way he felt, I merely pointed him in your direction and cleared the path for you to discuss your issues if you so chose. I will tell you though, if you had not discovered the truth as quickly as you did, I would have interfered further. I'm very proud of both you."

Hermione looked at Dumbledore curiously, "It was you I saw at Ollivanders wasn't it? I could swear I saw someone just before we walked out. It was you."

Dumbledore nodded, "Aw yes, Miss Granger, that was my mistake. My intent was to go unseen; apparently I did not succeed. Yes, I was at Mr. Ollivanders yesterday morning. The knowledge of where the wands are being kept is, indeed, classified information. Even with the end of the battle, there is much knowledge to be gained if someone were to get hold of any number of those wands. The very thought of wands being in the wrong hands and unaccounted for is not acceptable; there are, in fact, very few within the Ministry who could have provided you with an answer as to their whereabouts. I went to Ollivanders to assure him that it was all right to provide you with the information you sought. He did a good job of making you work for it, didn't he?" Dumbledore mused. "He certainly managed to keep you from suspecting anything, that was important; should you have found the answers too easy to come by, you may have missed something along the way."

"So, what was my lesson in all of this?" Harry asked. "You avoided giving me answers because you said I had lessons to learn and fears to overcome."

"Look inside yourself Harry. Do you not feel a sense of renewal, a sense of strength that perhaps wasn't there before this began? Are you not more confident in your ability to make wise, sound decisions? Do you not feel as though a burden has been lifted from your shoulders as the weight of the guilt you've carried has lessened? If you cannot feel these things, Harry, then I fear there is no lesson in this for you. You will continue to carry on in your life as you have to this point," he said sadly. "Let me tell you something. For every ounce of guilt you carry, for every ounce of doubt, for every ounce of every negative thing you hold inside, that much love is withheld from the ones you love. Ounce for ounce you steal from everything positive to feed that which is not. Until you can let go, you will never know true happiness."

"I do feel those things," Harry said quietly. "I do feel more confident and a little less guilty for all the lives that have been lost most especially Cedric's, but…"

Dumbledore held up his hand to stop him, "There are no buts, Harry. There is one more part to your self-imposed burden and soon that will be lifted as well. For now, take comfort in what you have and love those you care about with all of your heart. They should not have to settle for only what you are willing to give them. They deserve no less than all of you."

"You're right," Harry agreed. He turned toward Hermione. "I understand how important forgiving myself is and I promise you that I will work on it so that I can give you all that you deserve," he vowed.

Hermione smiled tenderly. "If that's all I can get for now Harry, then I'll take it. But someday I'm going to want more. Someday you're going to have to stop trying and actually do it. I love you," she said softly, repeating the word for word what she'd said to him when they were heading for the Department of Mysteries.

Harry returned her smile and repeated his response back to her, "I love you too, Hermione. Thanks."

"Soon, Harry, very soon, you shall see the final step," Dumbledore said cryptically.

Harry's eyes narrowed as he thought back to the conversation he'd had with Dumbledore about his fears and lessons, and then he remembered…. He pointed toward Dumbledore with a worried, questioning look on his face, "When we were talking about my lessons and fears you told me it was best that I face my fears while you were still here to guide me. I thought at the time it sounded as though you were leaving or something. Tell me now what you meant by that."

"Alas, Harry, the time has come already?" Dumbledore inquired.

Harry noted something different in his voice, something he hadn't heard before and it made him nervous. "Time for what?" he asked cautiously.

"Have you no more questions for me, Harry?" he asked evasively. "Is there nothing more you want to know?"

Harry looked from Dumbledore to Hermione and back again. "There is one thing, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be as important as the answer to my last question. Tell me, are you leaving?"

"First you must ask your question, Harry. There will be no more time for questions once I answer your current one."

Harry and Hermione exchanged anxious glances. Dumbledore sounded nothing like himself and neither of them could reason why.

"It's just…well…" he stammered looking once again from Hermione to Dumbledore. "I was wondering…you said…"

Dumbledore smiled. "Ah, yes, I remember. You want to know whether or not I can pinpoint precisely when you fell in love with Miss Granger," he said, correctly guessing the cause of Harry's discomfort.

Harry nodded; his cheeks flushed a deep red. He kept his eyes cast downward, away from Hermione.

"What are you two talking about?" Hermione inquired as she stared at Harry's darkening face.

Dumbledore looked at Harry in amusement. "Would you like to tell her or shall I?" he asked seemingly enjoying Harry's discomfort.

Harry slowly raised his head, his color had finally returned to close to normal and he looked at Hermione. "When Professor Dumbledore and I were talking about Cho's journal he told me that Cho was jealous because I had what she didn't," he said quickly, pausing before he continued.

"And?" Hermione encouraged, "I know there's more. What did you have?"

"Love," he answered softly.

"Love?" Hermione questioned. "What does that have to do with…me?" she asked hesitantly. Slowly comprehension seemed to dawn on her and she looked from Harry to Dumbledore in surprise. "Are you saying that Harry was in love with me way back then?" she asked incredulously. "But that's impossible."

"It would appear that way when one had been in denial for so long," Dumbledore said wisely. "However, there is no mistaking the truth that all others around you have seen since the beginning. Would you still care to hear it Harry?"

Harry looked at Hermione and nodded. "Yes, I'd like to hear what people have been thinking about us," he said no longer embarrassed. He loved her now and what harm could it possibly do to pinpoint when it first happened.

"Many will say it was love at first sight, the moment your eyes connected on the train coming to Hogwarts," Dumbledore began. He'd been watching the reactions of the two of them and he hesitated when he saw Hermione's cheeks had begun to turn red. "Is there something you wish to add, Miss Granger?" Dumbledore said with a mischievous grin.

Harry turned to look at her and was surprised to see that she now looked embarrassed. His took on a questioning look as he watched her. "It's nothing," she said, avoiding looking at both of them. "Please continue."

Dumbledore chuckled as he watched the two of them exchange glances, Hermione let Harry know without words that she would explain later.

Dumbledore continued, "While I do believe in the possibility of love at first sight, I do not however, believe that was when it happened. The propensity for love has been there from the beginning but it is my belief that it could not be acknowledged as love until such a time as Harry first discovered there was more to you," he looked directly at Hermione, "please know that I mean no disrespect here Miss Granger," at Hermione's nod he continued, "then books and a know-it-all demeanor," he said, the twinkle that Harry had missed had returned to his eyes brighter than he'd ever seen it before. "Do you recall that time Harry?"

That sounded odd to Harry and he couldn't even begin to fathom what he meant by it. "No, sir," he said still trying to think back to when his view of Hermione had actually changed. "The troll?" he guessed.

"No Harry, your love was, however, the reason you so willingly risked your life to save her from the troll," he said, immensely enjoying this time while he could.

"A know-it-all?" Hermione said; still shocked that he could have ever thought of her that way.

"Focus, Hermione, we'll discuss the details later," Harry said laughing at her expression.

"Keep in mind here that I am speaking of when Harry first fell in love with you, Hermione," he said. "It was the moment he realized that you would become an invaluable part of his life though he never openly admitted it," he said looking pointedly at Harry, "because it was easier at the time to play along with Mr. Weasley's comments than it was for him to admit he felt anything for you. Unfortunately it is an all too common occurrence, we often find ourselves following the crowd as opposed to following our heart," he mused.

Hermione looked thoughtfully at Dumbledore as she considered his words. A moment later she shot Harry a feigned glare, "And you don't remember when this change occurred?" she questioned him. "It sounds like a pretty monumental time considering where we stand now."

Harry shook his head, not bothering to truly focus on anything other than his thoughts; his curiosity had gotten the best of him and he was determined to figure out Dumbledore's new puzzle. After we met on the train, before the troll. What happened? He looked at her as he concentrated; finally, unable to remember many of the events that happened during that time, he gave up. "Help me, Hermione, what happened between the time we met on the train and the stuff with the troll?"

"Well, there was the Rememberall and your flying the broom when we were told to stay on the ground," she said, still sounding as though she were scolding him.

Harry laughed. "It was a long time ago Hermione, you can't possibly still be upset about that?" he questioned.

She rolled her eyes at him and smirked. "There was the duel with Malfoy when I told you not to go and you and Ron didn't listen and I got locked out of the tower and had to follow you," she said, sounding even sterner.

Harry was still laughing. "You didn't have to follow, you know? That was your choice. You could've waited for the Fat Lady to come back."

"And who would've saved you from Filch if I hadn't been there to unlock the door so we could hide?" she shot back at him determined to win this round.

Harry fell silent and Hermione had to look at him twice to realize that he was once again in deep concentration. She turned her attention to Dumbledore who looked to be silently encouraging him, pushing him to think harder. Hermione's confused expression went back and forth between the two of them for another minute before Harry looked up into Dumbledore's eyes and smiled.

"Yes, Harry," he said calmly, that all-knowing tone returning full-force, "is there something you'd like to say? Have you had an epiphany, some sort of insight into your feelings? Please, enlighten us."

Harry looked at Hermione then back to Dumbledore. "I don't know," he said still in thought. He looked at Hermione with a dazed, confused look on his face, which he then directed at Dumbledore. "Are you saying that you think I fell in love with Hermione after we ran into that room with Fluffy?" he asked in wonder.

Dumbledore nodded. "Not precisely at that moment Harry but that was, in fact, the catalyst, yes. The moment Hermione told you that Fluffy was standing on the trap door you realized how invaluable she would be to you, did you not?"

Harry looked at Hermione, "Yeah," he said softly, "yeah, I guess I did." He turned to Dumbledore, "But love?"

"Love is often taken in steps Harry. It is a very rare occurrence when one feels it instantaneously. That moment was merely the beginning, your love has simply grown throughout the small events of the past seven years until it culminated during the battle when you were forced to watch Hermione fall," he said. "Would you care for me to explain what I have witnessed over the past several years?"

Harry and Hermione nodded.

"As I have already stated, your love has grown stronger with the smallest of events. The hug you received before facing Professor Quirrell, the knowledge that she was all right when you woke up in the infirmary, seeing her outside Gringott's before your second year, her silent understanding during your third year and her reporting your broomstick so it could be examined, her unwavering support during the Tri-Wizard Tournament, and all of the other things you appeared to have taken for granted. Shall I go on?" he said amusedly.

Harry shook his head. "No," he said looking at Hermione, "I think I got it now."

Hermione blushed slightly before she moved her eyes from Harry to Dumbledore, "I know this is probably not the wisest question, but how is you know all of this? You weren't there for any of it, how do you know so much about what happens with Harry?"

Dumbledore appeared to be looking above her head as he prepared to answer her. He sighed deeply before he spoke, "Miss Granger, that is a wise question. It is one that I would love to be able to answer but I fear it is one that I must take with me…" he said, pausing as though to collect his thoughts.

"Take with you where?" Harry asked nervously trying to break the tension that suddenly seemed to permeate the air.

"Where are you going?" Hermione asked for much the same reason.

Neither of them were prepared for what came next…

Dumbledore stood slowly, totally unprepared for the way he felt. He hadn't expected it to be easy but he hadn't expected it to be this difficult either. They would be arriving soon, and finally his time would come to move forward.

Harry and Hermione were growing more and more nervous as they watched him. In a matter of minutes it seemed as if he'd aged 100 years; though it wasn't so much the way he looked as the way he acted…as if time had somehow finally managed to catch up with him.

Dumbledore looked at Harry with uncontrollable sorrow in his eyes. "I am extremely proud of you, Harry. You must always remember that. I could not have asked for anything more, anything greater from you then what you have given me." He turned to Hermione with the same look in his eyes. "That goes for you as well Hermione. You have been so much more than I could have ever dreamed possible. You have seen him through so much and I have complete faith that you will continue to do so." He then looked at the two of them, now standing side-by-side, sharing their growing concern. "I must admit to you both that I was afraid of what might happen to you when you discovered the truth behind recent events. For as young as you are, you have proven to be stronger together then any couple I have known in my lifetime, and I do not make that comment lightly as I have known many remarkable couples in the past 150 plus years. Let your love guide you, as you grow older, your love will grow stronger and one day, many years from now, that love will be your defining glory; it will be legendary…it is your love which has saved our world, and a more powerful bond will continue to keep our world safe."

Tears were forming in Harry's eyes and he could feel the all-too-familiar lump rising in throat so he struggled to speak before he knew he wouldn't be able too, "Tell us what's happening."

"Do you remember our discussion of Nicolas Flamel after you saved the Philosopher's Stone?"

Harry nodded. He grabbed Hermione's hand and held on tightly, he knew in his heart what was coming next…what he didn't know was whether or not he would be able to handle it.

"What did you ask me when I told you that the stone would be destroyed?"

"I asked you if he would die," Harry managed weakly.

"Do you remember what I told you?"

Harry nodded almost imperceptibly.

"It's all right Harry," Dumbledore said softly, "please, tell me what you remember."

The tears that had been threatening moments ago were now falling and Harry found himself unable to speak. He looked at Hermione for reassurance and found none; she had begun to cry as well. Harry had told her and Ron what Dumbledore had said so she was completely aware of where the conversation was going; she wasn't sure she wanted to know what came after that.

"You said…" Harry began, he paused to try for a couple of deep breaths, unable to take enough in enough air to ease even a fraction of the pain in his throat, he tried to continue anyway, "you said, for the well-organized mind…" his tears began to fall harder and the final words simply would not come.

"…death is but the next great adventure," Dumbledore finished for him. Dumbledore stepped forward and placed a hand on each of their shoulders. For reasons that neither could understand, they were comforted and their tears began to dry and the lump they each felt in their throat had gone. The pain was no less intense, but for the moment they felt unable to express the it and for that they were thankful. Dumbledore removed his hands and stepped back from them. "My mind has never been more organized," he told them.

"Why?" Harry asked quietly.

Dumbledore looked at him with a smile Harry hadn't seen in a very long time and it came with the twinkle that Harry had missed seeing over the last few years. "150 years is a long time to wait to fulfill a destiny Harry," he said.

"150, what…" Harry exclaimed, thinking he might have misunderstood. "A destiny?"

"My destiny has always been to defeat Grindelwald and to see to it that the next great defender of our world was prepared to meet his destiny. You are ready, Harry, to meet yours. You have defeated Voldemort, you have gained the confidence you need in your own ability to reason, you know where to look to find the answers you seek, you have faith in yourself, and most importantly you've learned to trust in yourself," he said with conviction. "You have found your source of life in Hermione and the love you share will continue to prepare you for what may come. There is only one thing you lack and as I have already stated, you will receive it soon; the time is near."

"What is it?" Harry asked.

Dumbledore placed his hand against Harry's cheek then did the same to Hermione and they both closed their eyes, after what felt like an eternity he removed his hands and said, "Open your eyes."

They opened their eyes to find Dumbledore walking toward the exit; they moved to follow him and stopped abruptly as they watched his solid figure slowly began to fade into light. Suddenly he was surrounded and Harry and Hermione could hear excited shouts of welcome echoing throughout the infirmary. Harry tightened his grip on her hand and together they moved forward.

What they saw brought tears to their eyes once more, only this time there was no pain to accompany them. They felt a kind of euphoria that couldn't be explained. Before them stood all of Harry's loved ones and with halting steps he moved toward them. Their words of welcome slowly abated as one by one they turned toward him and watched him approach. His mother, his father, Sirius, Cedric, and even Cho were there in front; everyone he'd ever cared about and lost was standing before him looking at him with such pride and admiration. Sadly, the room was filled.

Sirius, who was standing between and just behind James and Lily, placed his arms around them and moved forward, his eyes never leaving Harry's as the three of them made their way toward him. "Hello Harry," he said smiling, "it's been a long time."

Harry nodded, unable to speak as his eyes drifted from one to the other.

"That's a long time to carry around a guilt that's not yours to carry, you know?" he said thoughtfully. "Harry you have to believe, the only thing I regret about that night is not being there for you when it was over. I don't regret my decision to go and I don't regret the way it ended. I need for you to see where I am, who I'm with," he said looking from James to Lily. "Aside from being there with you, there is no place I'd rather be. I'm free here Harry and I'm not alone. You have to realize that it was my decision to go to the Department of Mysteries to help you when you were in danger…just as it was your decision to go when you thought that I was in danger. You have a wonderful life ahead of you now. The nightmares are over and the fun is just finally beginning. Don't waste another minute of it feeling sad, guilty, angry, or any other bad emotion you might be harboring. Move forward with love; prepare to spend your life being happy. I'm done now, Harry, but don't forget that we can always be found in your heart. I love you Harry. You're a great man."

"Yes, son, we're here," James said softly placing his hand over his heart. "We've been watching over you and aside from being there with you, we couldn't have asked for a better gift. We will always be watching over you. I love you, son."

Harry's tears began to fall harder, it was the first time he'd ever heard his father say those words, it was a moment that would live in his heart, his mind, and his soul forever.

Lily looked at them both and smiled affectionately before she spoke, "We will be watching both of you," she said lovingly. She looked at Hermione, "Thank you for always being there for him. He's always needed you and you've always been there. We are all so happy that he has found love with you. We love you both."

Hermione was crying as well when she looked at Harry. "I do love him," she said quietly. She looked back at James, Sirius and Lily, "I love him very much. Thank you for this."

"I love you son," Lily said. "We're not supposed to do this and I don't know if it will work, but come here," she said beckoning him toward her. He moved to within a foot of where she stood and she stepped forward to close the distance and wrapped her arms around him. He couldn't feel the weight of her arms around him like he could if it had been Hermione, but he felt…comforted. He now another cherished memory…the first time in his conscious memory that his mother hugged him.

"I love you all too," he whispered hoarsely looking as best he could from James to Sirius.

Hermione moved her eyes away from them and focused on Cho. There was a question she wanted to ask but she wasn't sure if she could. When Lily released Harry after several moments had passed, she looked at Hermione and followed her questioning gaze to Cho. "Go ahead," she encouraged, "it's all right. If you need answers now is the time, you'll not get another moment like this one, I'm afraid."

Hermione smiled at her gratefully and moved toward Cho. Cho looked at her as though she'd been expecting her. "I need to ask you something," Hermione said with quiet conviction.

"Anything," Cho replied.

"Why did you release us so easily? Is it because you knew that you wouldn't get to stay with Cedric if you couldn't release your anger? I know that Cedric is a good man, but what you did was awful, I don't know of another way for you to get to where he was," Hermione said.

"I would have followed her anywhere," Cedric said, intervening.

"Even into the bowels of hell?" Hermione asked curiously, mildly surprised by his conviction.

"Even into the bowels of hell," he stated.

She looked back at Cho who was staring lovingly at Cedric. "So?" she asked.

Cho looked at Hermione and smiled. "Although you released me from the wand, you are aware that a part of me lived within you. I didn't mean for that to happen. I will admit, I had every intention of killing you when I released that curse. But when the part of me that lived in you combined with the spirit you released from the wand, I realized instantly that I didn't hate you and I didn't hate Harry; I hated myself for being so weak. As you could feel me within you, I could feel you within that part of me. I knew the pain you felt every time I forced you to hurt Harry. The more I fought against you the more you fought against me, until the moment you held my wand and we both gave up the fight. I tried to make you realize what you needed to do when I gave you Cedric's words at the Ministry and for the most part it worked. I don't know what would have happened if you hadn't released me to Cedric at the graveyard but as much as you wanted me out of you, I wanted me out of you. There is no way for such pain and hate and jealousy to live within a heart so full of love. The second I was released I knew I had to tell you, I knew I had to offer you whatever you needed from me to finally be free of the pain I'd caused," she turned to Cedric again and closed her eyes before she took a deep breath and continued, "If it would have been my only choice, I would have given up my love to free you to have yours. Harry deserves to be happy, you both do. He's never been anything but gracious and patient and kind. I took advantage of that and there is nothing I regret more in life than that. I am sorry, Hermione."

Hermione nodded, relieved and thankful for the opportunity to hear the truth. "Thank you," she said softly before she turned and walked back to stand beside Harry.

"Everything all right?" he whispered.

She smiled broadly at him and whispered back, "Never better."

"It is time," Dumbledore said just loud enough for all to hear. He stepped forward until he stood before Harry and Hermione. He winked at Hermione and said, "The spell to conjure the armchairs can be found on my desk, please, help yourself."

Hermione closed her eyes and chuckled softly as the tears began to form again. Harry put his arms around her waist and she wiped her eyes on his shirt and rested her head on his shoulder as she wrapped hers around him. They stood together as they watched the crowd before them walk away and then vanish.

"You have learned your last, Harry, you lack no more, move forward with love," the fading voice of Dumbledore called out to him. "Good luck."

"Goodbye," Harry whispered to them. So many things had happened, so many wonderful, joyous things and although they were blended with the sadness of Dumbledore's departure, he couldn't imagine how it could get any better until he felt her move beside him and he looked into her beautiful brown eyes.

"I love you, Harry," she whispered softly.

He turned to face her, their arms still wrapped around each other, looking directly into her eyes he whispered back, "I love you too Hermione…more than I ever thought possible."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

There is a little, tiny bit more serious stuff in the next chapter because I have to do their story and the Draco and Millicent bit. I do have some surprising fluff in store…I think you'll like it.

Thanks again for reading; I'm looking forward to your reviews.

Take care,

H_HrFan


-->