Unofficial Portkey Archive

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee by H_HrFan
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

A Fairy Tale for His Her-my-oh-nee

H_HrFan

Epilogue

"So," Harry said smiling tenderly at her as he got up to shut the door, "you're not going to let me forget that song, huh?"

"No way," she replied smiling in return, "that's my song. With all this Cinderella stuff in the past few weeks don't you think I deserve a song of my own?"

Harry returned to the bed and leaned in close and kissed her, "No Hermione," he replied softly, his eyes never leaving hers.

She looked at him in surprise, "What do you mean?" she asked in obvious dismay. "You don't think I deserve my own song?"

Harry laughed. "No Hermione it's not that," he replied tenderly, "I just think you deserve a whole lot more. I love you, you know? More than I could ever say."

"Ah Harry," she replied coyly, "I love you too."

Harry pulled her into his arms and held her tightly against him and whispered, "Never in my life could I have imagined feeling like this." He pulled back and looked directly into her eyes, "I'll never be able to tell you how much all this means to me. From the moment I realized I love you I promised myself I'd spend a lifetime trying to show you. Now I'm promising you…from this moment I solemnly vow to spend the rest of my life showing you just exactly how much you mean to me…exactly how much I love you."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears as his words connected directly with her heart. "And I promise you Harry, that I will spend the rest of my life doing the same. I promise to always love you and to never forget to tell you how much you mean to me. I want to look into your eyes and be unable to find the words I need to express how I feel. I want to leave you speechless…just as you leave me speechless."

Harry pulled her close once more and kissed her neck. "Everything about you makes me speechless, Love," he said softly. "Never in my life have I been as at a loss for words as the first moment you looked into my eyes with a vow of love. You are my life and everything I'll ever need."

Hermione giggled nervously as the lingering effects of his kiss coursed through her body then settled in the pit of her stomach. She placed her hand on his cheek and turned his head to bring his ear close to her mouth. "I love you, Harry," she whispered, "there's just nothing more that I can say because there are no words to express the way I truly feel." She lightened her hold on him and he turned his mouth to hers. Their lips were nearly touching as they stared deeply into each other's eyes. Both of them speechless…they let their eyes convey the feelings of their hearts.

There were seven years of love and a lifetime of hope in the kiss they shared and never had anything felt so right. Although they were young, they knew there would never be a reason to want for more than what they'd already offered each other because … how do you offer more than the whole of your heart?

They spent a couple more hours reading through Hermione's diary and reliving some of the events of the past seven years. Some memories made them laugh while others nearly made them cry. Bittersweet memories abounded in that little book. Memories that they would cherish forever in the rich detail that only Hermione could purvey.

Harry's favorite memory so far was the Yule Ball during their fourth year. Hermione's version was so different from his own and yet so similar...

The Yule Ball is tonight. I can't believe I'm going with Viktor Krum. I know I'd much rather be there with Harry. There's just something about his company that I enjoy. I know we'd have a good time if we went together. It would feel so natural for both of us, I'm sure of it.

But, I'm not…I'm going with Viktor. He seems to be a nice enough guy, but I just don't see that we have anything in common. I'm only going with him because he was the first to ask. There was no excuse to say no. Harry and Ron both had plenty of chances and neither of them seemed to have noticed that I'm a girl…so I suppose I have to take what I can get. I'll write more later…

Well, the Ball is over. Viktor and I had an okay time, I guess. I thought I was going to die though when I saw Harry. Wow! He looked amazing. His hair was its usual untidy mess, but it's so endearing that I swear I never want to see it any other way. His dress robes were magnificent. He was by far the best looking wizard there. I couldn't help being jealous of the time that Parvati got to spend with him. I have to admit that a part of me hopes they had an awful time together

Considering Harry and I kept exchanging glances throughout the night, Viktor and I had an okay time. I had to spend a lot of time trying to teach him my name though. Finally, I had to give up hope that he'd ever get it right. Thankfully Harry was there and one look at him made all the frustration go away until finally I told Viktor that whatever he called me was close enough…he could have called me her-mit and it wouldn't have mattered. The second I caught Harry's eye I seemed to forget it all anyway.

How can my best friend have that affect on me? I really wish we would've gotten a chance to dance. Maybe, if we're lucky, we will someday.

Harry stood up from the bed and reached for her hand. "Come here Hermione," he said smiling tenderly.

Hermione held out her hand to him and allowed him to pull her up. "What's wrong Harry?" she asked.

"Shh," he said softly, "just listen." He pulled her into his arms and placed his arms around her waist.

She wrapped her hands around his neck and stood silently for a moment. "Harry, I don't hear anything," she said just as softly. "What am I…"

"Shh," he said again, "you're not listening closely enough." He started moving in a slow circle, gently rocking his hips back and forth, guiding her along with him.

Hermione placed her head on his shoulder and followed his lead, allowing him to set the rhythm. "Do you hear it now?" he whispered.

"Yes," she whispered in reply. Tears welled up in her eyes and she held tightly to him as he held her in his arms and swayed slowly to music only the two of them could hear. They stayed that way for an indeterminable amount of time simply enjoying each other and the dance, that until now, they hadn't had an opportunity to share.

"Harry," Hermione said reluctantly. Being held so comfortably in his arms was a feeling she hated to let go of and she was regretting with all her heart the words she had to say next.

"Hmm?" he replied as they lazily swayed back and forth.

"We have to get ready to go to the Burrow," she said in a soft whine.

Harry pulled back from her and looked into her eyes. "Can't we just stay a little longer?" he asked pressing his body to hers once again and burying his face in her neck. He kissed the base of her neck and she shivered uncontrollably.

"Mmm," she murmured against him. She breathed deeply, taking in his intoxicating scent, and sighed. "Harry," she reluctantly said again, "we really have to get ready."

"I don't wanna," he murmured against her neck, sending chills reverberating through her body once again.

"Honey, please," she begged halfheartedly.

Harry backed up and looked at her, smiling, "Honey?" he said teasingly.

Hermione looked at him strangely. "Hmm?" she mumbled. "What're you talking about?"

"You called me Honey," he said still smiling.

"I did?" she asked in surprise.

"Yes," he replied, "are you telling me you don't remember? Hermione, you just did it a second ago."

She placed her mouth at the base of his ear and kissed him. "I didn't realize it Harry. It must have come naturally," she murmured against his neck. "Does it bother you?" she asked, kissing him again.

"N - No," he stammered, "n - not - not at all." Without realizing it he raised his head to give her better access to his neck.

"Good," she murmured then began whispering honey over and over as she planted kisses along the length of his jaw from his ear to his chin.

"Hermione, you're driving me crazy," he moaned, "I thought you said we had to get ready to go."

"I thought you said you wanted to stay a little longer," she countered. She pulled her head back to look at him questioningly.

"I do…" he replied, "I did…"

"Did?" she questioned, continuing to look into his eyes.

Harry shook his head, "Do," he replied capturing her lips quickly with his own. "Definitely do," he sighed against her lips before kissing her with such longing that she nearly fell over as the strength of it seemed to weaken her entire body.

KNOCK KNOCK

KNOCK KNOCK

"Hermione, honey, are you in there?" her mother called out through the door.

Hermione pulled back from Harry feeling lightheaded and breathless. "Did you hear something?" she murmured.

Harry shook his head. "Uh-uh," he replied kissing her desperately once more.

KNOCK KNOCK

"Hermione?" her mother called again a little louder.

Hermione jerked away from him quickly and looked at him in surprise. "That's mum," she mouthed to him.

Harry's own lightheadedness prevented him from comprehending what she was saying. His hands still rested on her hips and he attempted to pull her into another kiss. She put her hands up to his chest to stop him. "Come on," she said abruptly. She pulled him quickly to the bed and whispered, "Pretend to be asleep."

Harry shook the cobwebs from his head and smiled at her. "What's wrong Hermione? I'm sure your mum knows we're in here together right now."

"I know," she whispered, "but I have a feeling she's been knocking for a couple of minutes and we haven't answered her. If she opens the door to find us sleeping she won't question what we've been doing."

"You're a nut," he said teasingly, "but I'll do whatever crazy, insane, ludicrous thing you ask me to do."

They lay down on the bed and Harry put his arm around her only seconds before her mum opened the door. He opened his eye just enough so he could watch her. She stood in the doorway hesitantly as though she wasn't sure if she should disturb them or not. Tentatively she stepped forward and placed her fingers on Hermione's shoulder. "Hermione?" she said quietly. Hermione didn't move so she shook her shoulder gently then tried again, "Hermione, sweetheart, wake up."

Hermione looked up at her mother sleepily. "What is it?" she said faking a yawn. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing dear," her mum replied, "it's just that it's getting late and you and Harry need to get going soon if you want to make it to Ron's house on time."

Hermione made to sit up as though she were surprised by the time. "Oh!" she exclaimed. "I didn't realize it was so late."

Neither of the women noticed that Harry had buried his face in his pillow to hide his untimely laughter. Hermione turned around to `wake him up' and stopped short when she saw the color in his cheeks. Instead of disturbing him she looked at her mum and said, "Thanks mum. I'll get Harry up and we'll get ready to go. We'll be out soon."

"No problem dear," her mum replied distractedly. She looked at Harry and studied him closely for a few seconds before she turned her attention back to Hermione. "Is he all right? He's not ill is he?" she asked in concern.

Hermione swallowed hard and struggled to suppress her laughter. She stood up and grabbed hold of her mum's arm to lead her to the door. "He's fine, mum," she replied in a surprisingly controlled voice, "sometimes he sticks his head in the pillow like that and doesn't realize he's cutting off his oxygen supply. The coloring is only temporary. He'll move in a minute and he'll be fine."

Her mum looked back at him again and without moving her eyes from his still form she said, "You better keep an eye on that, dear, it sounds like it could be dangerous."

Hermione swallowed hard again. "You're right mum," she replied, "it might just prove dangerous if he keeps it up. I'll keep an eye on him. Thanks again."

"All right," her mum said as she walked out the door. She was preparing to turn around and look at Harry again when Hermione grabbed the door and said, "We'll be out in a few minutes," before quickly shutting it.

Hermione turned around to find Harry now shaking uncontrollably in the bed, his face still buried in the pillow. She smiled momentarily then forced herself to suppress her laughter. Damn he looks cute laughing like that, she thought amusedly.

She walked quietly over to the bed and carefully picked up her pillow then, before he could comprehend what she was doing, she whacked him over the head with it. "HARRY! JAMES! POTTER!" she exclaimed between whacks. "What is wrong with you laughing like that?"

Harry sat up quickly and grabbed his own pillow to use as a shield. "What?" he asked innocently. "What'd I do?"

Hermione stopped smacking him with the pillow and looked at him open-mouthed, eyes wide open. "WHAT!" she cried. "What do me `what'd I do'?" she mocked. She let go of her pillow with one hand and pointed at him. "You should be ashamed of yourself, you know that?"

Harry was laughing outright now and was having trouble catching his breath to speak. "I - I - what?" he stammered. "I should be ashamed?" he asked incredulously.

Hermione nodded her head and forced herself to keep a straight face. "Yes, Harry," she replied, "you should be ashamed of yourself. All I asked you to do was pretend to be asleep and you had the nerve to lay there and laugh about it."

"I wasn't `laying there laughing about it'," he replied mockingly, "I was oxygen deprived…you said so yourself."

"Ooh!" she exclaimed laughing. She raised the pillow to strike at him again and he beat her to it with a good solid hit with his own pillow across her stomach. She promptly brought her pillow down on his head and an all-out pillow fight ensued…further ensuring a late arrival at the Burrow.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Standing outside the door of the Burrow Harry and Hermione continued to go at each other. "It's your fault we're late you know," Hermione said accusingly.

"Yeah, well, you're the one who started the pillow fight," he said shifting the blame back on her.

"Yeah, well, you're the one who continued the pillow fight," she said starting to laugh.

"Yeah, well, I was just defending myself," he said laughing along with her.

"Yeah, well, are you going to stand out here arguing like an old married couple all night or will you two be joining the rest of us sometime soon?" Ron interrupted.

"Ron!" Hermione exclaimed rushing into his arms. "It's so good to see you."

Ron started laughing. "I saw you not long ago, Hermione," he said turning red at the attention.

"Would you get off him, woman?" Harry said laughing at Hermione's exuberance. "Let the man breathe."

Hermione turned around and stuck her tongue out at him. "You're just jealous," she said haughtily.

Harry grabbed her arm and spun her around to face him. "Maybe," he said kissing her lightly on the lips.

Hermione smiled and raised her eyebrows at him. "So," she said, "if I hug Fred and George like that will you do that again?"

"Depends," Harry replied, "will you do it to me if I hug Ginny like that?"

Hermione frowned and scrunched up her nose for a second, appearing as though she was thinking hard about what he'd said, and then she shook her head. "Nah!" she said. "I won't do it if you hug Ginny like that. You go ahead if that's what you want to do."

Harry looked momentarily taken aback. "Wha…"

Hermione couldn't keep herself from laughing at his expression.

Harry looked at her in surprise. "What're you laughing at?"

"Nothing Harry," she replied shaking her head.

Harry looked at Ron questioningly and Ron shook his head. "I don't know mate, she's your girl, you figure it out. I told you she was mental," he said stepping back inside the door of the house laughing.

Hermione followed close behind and Harry stood momentarily rooted to his spot watching them. What did she mean by no? He wondered before finally following them through the door.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY HARRY!" echoed through the house the moment Harry walked through the door.

"Guess you're finally old enough…" George said.

"…to play with the big boys." Fred finished for him.

"Happy birthday Harry," they said clapping him on the back.

"Thanks guys," Harry said smiling. It'd been a long time since he'd seen Fred and George and it was something that he always looked forward to.

"So Harry," Fred said quietly.

"…what'd you do with the map?" George finished even more quietly.

Harry looked at the two of them and smiled mischievously. "I gave it to a certain photographer I know who promised to get some good, incriminating shots of Snape for the joke shop," he replied. "Thought maybe you could set up a board or something…put little captions over his head."

"Great idea Harry," George said.

"Yeah," said Fred. "Can't you see it…"

"It's not gravity holding me down," laughed George.

"…it's the grease," finished Fred laughing with him.

Harry couldn't help but laugh at their outrageousness. "Seriously guys," he said looking between the two of them, "I still have the map. Brought it with me actually, wondered if you might want to give it to Ginny."

"Give it to Ginny?" Fred repeated.

"Not a totally bad idea," said George.

"But not a totally good one either," said Fred.

"Give what to me?" Ginny asked curiously, coming from seemingly out of nowhere.

Fred put his arm around her. "Nothing sis," he said in an obvious attempt to cover the truth.

"Yeah, Ginny," George said from the other side of her, "it's nothing."

"Have you given our boy here his birthday hug," Fred asked trying to change the subject.

Ginny looked at Harry and shook her head. "Not yet," she said. She looked at Fred and in her eyes he could see that the subject was not, in fact, changed and they would be hearing from her shortly. She moved away from Fred and stepped up to Harry. "Happy birthday, Harry," she said hesitantly stretching her arms out to give him a hug.

"Thanks Ginny," Harry said smiling. He grabbed her and pulled her into a reassuring hug. "You don't have to be scared to hug me, you know," Harry said quietly so only she could hear.

She pulled away from him and smiled. "I know," she said, "but I don't want to upset Hermione. She's been through a lot recently. You both have," she added softly.

"It's all right Ginny," Hermione said as she approached them. "I really don't mind." She walked up to Harry and kissed him on the cheek then wrapped her arms around his waist. He put his arm around her shoulders then smiled and winked at her. Neither of them dropped their gaze from each other.

Ginny rolled her eyes and smiled. "Do you even know I'm here?" she asked them.

Not surprisingly silence was her answer. She shook her head and smiled again then walked away determined to find Fred and George.

"WHERE ARE THEY?" a familiar voice called out loudly. "WHERE ARE THEY?"

Harry and Hermione had barely registered the words and the voice attached to them before they pulled away from each other abruptly and prepared for the assault.

"HARRY!" Mrs. Weasley yelled shrilly. "It's so wonderful to see you." She practically ran over to him and drew him in to a tight hug that lasted nearly as long as his oxygen supply. She pulled away and studied him closely. "How are you feeling? Is everything all right? Are you having any problems now that you've left Hogwarts? What are you going to do now?" Her questions came rapidly until finally Mr. Weasley cut in, "Molly please, give the boy some air," he said pulling her slightly away from Harry then reaching out to shake Harry's hand.

"Happy birthday, Harry," he said pumping his hand enthusiastically. Hermione couldn't resist laughing at the weary expression on Mrs. Weasley's face as she focused her attention on where their hands met. She turned to Mr. Weasley and gave him a cheeky grin, "Let go of the boy's hand, Arthur," she said in a mockingly sweet voice, "you'll pull his arm out of the socket if you keep it up." Mr. Weasley looked down at where his hand held Harry's and he abruptly let go sending Harry's hand into his leg where it made a loud smacking sound. Mr. Weasley looked embarrassed. "So sorry Harry," he said quickly.

Harry laughed and rubbed his leg. "It's all right Mr. Weasley," he said chuckling, "no harm done." He turned to Mrs. Weasley and said, "I'm fine. Things are great. No problems. Live with Hermione until I find a place of my own…I think that about answers them all doesn't it?" he said.

"Hermione," Mrs. Weasley said as though she just remembered she was there, "oh my goodness. HERMIONE!" She turned toward Hermione and grabbed her the same way she'd grabbed Harry. Hermione tried her best to wrap her arms around her to return the hug but Mrs. Weasley had her arms pinned tightly to her sides. "How are you dear? How are you feeling? Have you recovered okay? Are there any problems?"

Hermione laughed and Mrs. Weasley released her to step back to study her just as she'd done Harry. Harry had to admit that Hermione looked extraordinary considering all she'd been through. In the weeks since she'd awakened her coloring was back to normal and the dark circles under her eyes had all but vanished. Between her cooking and her mother's they had both gained a little weight and they were looking much healthier than they had in a long while. "I'm great Mrs. Weasley," Hermione replied. "Things couldn't be better. I feel fine and I seem to have recovered all right. No lingering affects that I'm aware of." Upon saying that she looked at Harry and they exchanged knowing glances before returning their attention to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Mr. Weasley stepped tentatively toward her then looked first at Harry as though asking permission to hug her. Harry nodded in case that was what he needed. Mr. Weasley smiled then looked at Hermione. "May I?" he asked making as though to give her a hug.

"Of course," Hermione replied stretching her arms out and moving into the circle of his arms. She buried her head in his shoulder for a minute then backed up slightly and gave him a kiss on the cheek.

Mr. Weasley stepped back and looked at her in surprise. He moved his hand to his cheek and asked, "What was that for?"

"For always taking such good care of Harry," she said before nearing Mrs. Weasley and giving her a kiss on the cheek as well. "Thank you."

"You're welcome," Mrs. Weasley said in surprise, "although he's like a son to us. Being there for him has been a wonderful gift."

Harry looked down at the ground as tears welled up in his eyes. He sniffled softly and Hermione turned to look at him. Seeing the threat of tears and knowing that the very last thing he'd want to do is cry in front of them she said, "Harry look. There's Luna." She looked at Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, "Will you please excuse us? We really need to talk to Luna for a minute."

"Of course dear," Mrs. Weasley answered for the both of them. "We'll see you in a little while then."

"Thank you," Hermione replied. She gave them a reassuring smile and laced her arm through Harry's so she could steer him toward Luna. "Hey you," she said softly to him. He looked up at and gave her a weak smile and she said, "I love you."

"I love you too, Hermione," he replied quietly. "Thanks."

Hermione nodded and smiled at him. "You ready to talk to Luna?"

It was Harry's turn to nod. "Yeah," he replied, "let's go."

"All right." Hermione's steps faltered when Harry stopped abruptly and turned her to face him. "What is it Harry?" she asked.

He smiled at her and kissed her cheek then whispered, "I know what you did back there by the way."

She looked at him in confusion. "With Mrs. Weasley?"

He smiled wider and shook his head and the sparkle in his eyes shined brighter. "No, Hermione," he said quietly looking into her questioning eyes, "I'm talking about Ginny."

Understanding dawned over her and she smiled back at him. "What?" she asked innocently. "I don't have any idea what you're talking about."

"Thought you'd stake your claim, didn't you?"

Her eyes were large, round and innocent and he couldn't help but laugh at her. "Me? Why would I do that?"

"You do know that Ginny's crush on me was over years ago, right?"

"Yeah," she said casually, "but it certainly doesn't hurt to remind people that you're mine…" she looked directly into his eyes and added, "…and that I'm not sharing."

Harry laughed and kissed her. "Come on," he said mock exasperation, "let's go find Luna."

"I do need to give Ginny a proper hello," she said, "I suppose I was a little too busy `staking my claim' as you call it, to give her one. It's been a while since we've seen each other and I really do love her, she's been like a little sister to me. I don't want her to think I don't trust her."

"There'll be plenty of time for that," Harry said. "I'm sure she understands."

"I s'pose," she replied feeling a little unsure.

Luna and Ron were sitting on the bottom steps, deep in conversation and completely oblivious to what was happening around them.

"Hi Luna," Hermione said when they got within earshot, "how are you?"

Luna looked up with a sort of distant look on her face as she absorbed the last of what Ron had to say. "Oh hi Hermione," she replied. She stood up slowly and moved to give Hermione a hug, "I'm fine. How are you?"

Hermione gave her a quick squeeze and smiled at Harry who was watching her from where he stood next to Ron. "I'm fine Luna, thanks," she said.

Luna studied Hermione for a moment as though trying to discern her mental health. "You're sure you're all right?" she asked still studying her.

Hermione chuckled. "Yes, Luna, I'm sure. Better than I've ever been actually," she said with a look at Harry.

"Oh yes," Luna replied thoughtfully, "love. Ronald told me about you and Harry. I told him that anyone with half a brain would have known that already but he seemed to have gotten offended by that remark." She looked at Ron affectionately then turned back to Hermione and shrugged her shoulders, "I guess he didn't know," she added.

Hermione laughed out loud then looked at Harry and Ron and rolled her eyes…sometimes Luna was entirely too much! "I don't suppose he was alone in his ignorance," Hermione replied shrugging her own shoulders, "Harry and I didn't know either."

"Not one for paying much attention I suppose," Luna replied smiling knowingly at her.

"I guess not," Hermione said laughing, "but at least we figured it out."

Luna nodded then turned to Harry. "Hi Harry," she said, "how are you?"

Harry took a step toward her to give her a hug. "I'm fine Luna, how `bout you?"

Luna looked over Harry's shoulder at Ron and said, "Never better."

Hermione and Harry looked at Ron and smiled mischievously…they were delighted to see Ron's ears turn appropriately pink.

"Me and Harry were just talking about your letter from Dumbledore Luna," Ron said, "are ready to open it now?"

Harry looked at Hermione and said, "Luna decided to wait until we were all together to open her letter. Did you remember to bring ours?"

Hermione nodded, "Yes, of course," she said eagerly. "They're in my pocket." She reached into her pocket and pulled out two folded pieces of parchment. She opened one then handed Harry his. "Do you have yours Ron?" she asked.

"Yeah, hang on," he said then raced up the stairs.

"He always forgets," Luna said as she watched Ron disappear up the stairs.

Ron was back in record time with his letter in his hand. "Okay," he huffed trying to catch his breath, "open yours Luna."

Luna pulled her letter from her pocket and opened the sealed envelope…

Dear Miss Lovegood,

I daresay we had so little interaction in your time at Hogwarts that I am at a loss for what to say to you in the way of goodbyes. That does not happen to me often so please, feel free to count your blessings.

There is however, something I wish to give you. In an effort to spare you some of the pain of knowing your destiny I must refrain from providing you with too much detail in this letter. Suffice it to say that you, along with Mr. Weasley, Mr. Potter, and Miss Granger, are destined for great things. So much of what we know comes from learned years of paying attention, gained knowledge through books and observances and, perhaps most importantly, patience. It is that which I offer to you. Throughout the years your patience will be tested to the utmost extremes and I cannot stress strongly enough how vital it will be for you to exert some of your greatest efforts of restraint in the face of adversity. Please do not be frightened. I am not dooming you to a lifetime of adversity. Quite the contrary, I believe your life to be filled with much happiness and love. However, you must be prepared for when the time comes to fulfill your destiny.

They say patience is a virtue…I say between the two of us never a more virtuous soul could be found.

Go forth knowing that your life will be blessed and that there is a far greater purpose for you then you could ever dream possible. Mr. Weasley is a fine young man. Take care of each other. Although you are young, I trust that you, of all people, will understand when I say that your time, your life…is written in the stars.

Albus Dumbledore

PS Never stop dreaming…you never know when one might just come true. And now I must go before my welcoming party arrives and I am late for my ride on a Crumple-Horned Snorkack! It is amazing the things one can do when they live beyond the veil…

"Wow," Hermione said in awe, "he really did leave you something, didn't he?"

Luna looked at her in mild surprise, "Yes," she said nodding, "did you really think he wouldn't?"

Hermione shook her head as she tried to straighten out her jumbled thoughts. She looked at Luna as though seeing her for the first time and said, "You know, I don't really know what I thought. I just wonder what all this means."

"Open your letters," Harry said to Ron and Hermione as he opened his. Hermione quickly unfolded hers the rest of the way as Ron did the same.

All four of them now stood with their letters open and waited…for what they didn't know but somehow they knew the time had come to wait. Harry held the letter out into the middle of the circle they'd formed and Hermione followed suit. Ron and Luna exchanged glances then shrugged and did the same. The moment the four letters touched there was a flash of light and the four letters disappeared. Each of them now held a corner of a new piece of parchment with the words…

IT IS DONE

…written in the middle.

"Harry," Hermione said shakily, "what just happened?"

"We've sealed our destiny," he replied his eyes never leaving the parchment.

"Sealed our destiny?" Ron said questioningly. "What does that mean?"

Hermione looked at him knowingly and he blinked rapidly a few times before looking into her eyes. Something about her changed in that instant. He'd always known she was smart…too smart sometimes…but now there was something about her that assured him he would never need question her again.

"It means that whatever our destiny is, we are all in it together. There's now an inexplicable connection that binds us," Hermione stated. "Whatever our destiny, our own knowledge and strengths combined with the gifts we've received from Dumbledore will ensure our success."

"Great! So now I'm stuck with you guys for the rest of my life," Ron cracked. "What kind of adventures will you be taking us on this time Harry?"

Harry smiled and let go of the parchment as he put his arm around Ron who let go of it as well. "Well Ron," he said conspiratorially, "I thought we'd start with a thorough investigation of the dark forest where we'll be sure to stop by to visit Aragog…"

"All right Harry," Ron gulped, "that's more then enough already. Why don't you take Hermione on that little trip and our adventures can start when Luna graduates next year."

"Oh Ronald," Luna said rolling her eyes in Hermione's direction, "you're hopeless."

"Hopeless, Ron," Harry said shaking his head sadly.

"Completely hopeless," Hermione said much the same way Harry did.

"Bloody hell," Ron said, "enough already. You say one little thing around here and...so I don't like s-spiders, you lot know that already, lay off." He visibly shook at the mere mention of the word spider and they all laughed.

Luna walked up to Ron and placed her hand on his shoulder in a soothing, motherly way and said, "It's all right Ronald, lots of people are scared of spiders it's a perfectly rational fear. It's really too bad you know…" she began and then stopped suddenly, her gaze transfixed on something above Harry's head.

Harry and Hermione watched her for a second then turned to follow her gaze. Finding nothing they looked back at her again and she stood next to Ron looking as though things were quite as they should be. "Well?" Harry said looking at her.

"I'm sorry?" Luna replied. "Well what?"

Harry shook his head a little and cocked his ear in her direction, "You just said, `it's really too bad' and then you stopped," he explained. "What's really too bad?"

She looked him as though he was a young child who was having trouble understanding even a most basic concept. "Ronald, of course," she said as though it should be obvious.

Harry shook his head and looked at Ron for an explanation. Ron rolled his eyes and shrugged at him because he too was at a total loss about where Luna had been heading with her statement.

"What about Ron?" Hermione interrupted beginning to get impatient. "What's too bad about Ron?"

Luna looked at Ron and he could swear she was silently asking him what was wrong with his two best friends. "It's really too bad he didn't get Dumbledore's courage. Then he probably wouldn't be so scared of spiders," she finally explained.

Ron looked at her in amazement. "You do realize what I've done don't you?" he said standing up taller and sticking his chest out a little, "I've stood next to Harry to battle V-Voldemort, I've gone into that bloody forest and faced those giant spiders, I've knocked out a mountain troll, I've…"

"At it again…"

"…are you Ron?"

The four of them looked in the direction of the voices and saw Fred and George standing not more then an arms length away. "Tell us more about how much of a hero you are," said Fred.

"Yeah, Ron, you know we never get tired of hearing about it and all," said George rolling his eyes and laughing.

"Bugger off," Ron said irritably.

"Come on Ron," said Fred.

"Yeah, we're only joking, we know you're a hero," said George.

"You really have proven yourself…" said Fred.

"…we're actually proud of you little brother," George said giving him a pat on the shoulder.

"Yes, well, you should be…" Luna remarked sullenly.

Hermione had been left holding the parchment while the others carried on their conversations. She was staring at the words…IT IS DONE…wondering how much more there really was to it all. She never thought her ultimate destiny would include, of all people, Luna Lovegood but she was more then willing to accept it knowing that she was going to make Ron happy…it was just all too strange.

Harry walked up behind her and placed his hands on her shoulders and she dropped the parchment when she jumped in surprise. They watched as it fell toward the floor and then vanished in a puff of smoke.

Luna and Ron witnessed what had happened and joined them where they stood still looking at the spot where the parchment had vanished.

"So that's it then?" Ron said.

"That's it," Hermione replied.

Harry looked up at the group from where he still stood behind Hermione. "They say that a journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. There's no one I'd rather take that step with then the two of you," he said looking at Hermione and Ron, "and now you," he added looking at Luna, "welcome aboard."

"Thanks Harry," Luna said lightly. She put her arms around Ron's waist and looked into his eyes. "I do know you're courageous Ronald, and I do know you're a hero, and the spiders really don't matter at all."

Ron smiled down at her. "Apology accepted," he said kissing her forehead.

She smiled and buried her face into his neck. "I love you Ronald," she said softly.

He pulled away from her and squared his shoulders to hers so he could look into her ever-dreamy eyes. "What did you say?" he asked softly, incredulously.

She raised her eyes to his and smiled softly, "I said I love you," she replied.

"Do you really?"

Luna giggled. "Yes, Ronald I do really."

He pulled her into a tight embrace and tears welled at the corner of his eyes. "I - I love you too," he whispered hoarsely.

Harry and Hermione stood back and watched them in silence. This was truly a night of beginnings and they were thankful for all they'd been through…for everything that had brought them to this moment…

"GIVE IT TO ME!" Ginny shouted, interrupting the moment between Ron and Luna.

"I don't have it," shouted George in return.

"Bugger off Ginny, he don't have it," Fred said.

"I know one of you has it and I want it," she shouted at them again.

George ran frantically over to stand beside Harry. "Told her `bout the map now she's gone nutters. Told you it wasn't a great idea."

Harry started laughing then pulled the map out of the front of his sweatshirt. "Just don't tell her how to use," he advised handing the map to George.

George's face lit up as he smiled. "That's good…" he said thinking about it thoughtfully.

"Just watch out for the bat bogey hex," Hermione said casually.

The smile fell instantly from George's face and he frowned. "Thanks Hermione," he said with mild sarcasm.

"What'd you tell her for anyway?" Harry asked.

"Rather not go into that if it's all the same to you," George said looking rather uncomfortable. He cleared his throat and added, "suffice it to say she can be very, very persuasive when she wants to be."

"Well you better do something about her before your mum starts asking questions," Hermione advised.

"Good thinking. Gotta go!" he exclaimed quickly. He held up the map in salute, "Thanks Harry," he said before running off to find Fred.

"Those two, I swear…" Hermione said laughing.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The rest of the evening seemed to fly by as they enjoyed Mrs. Weasley's wonderful cooking and opened gifts. Most of the time was spent just enjoying each other's company. It felt wonderful to be surrounded by family and friends and Harry and Hermione were both grateful for the time they were able to spend there.

They were all sitting together in the living room when Harry stood up to get their attention. "Excuse me," he said loudly, "I have an announcement and I want you all to be the next ones to hear it." He gestured for Hermione to stand up next to him and he looked around the room. "Hermione and I are going to get married on 1st September."

Congratulations resounded throughout the room until Mrs. Weasley's voice rose high above the rest. "You mean this 1st September?" she asked loudly. Harry and Hermione both nodded their heads excitedly in her direction. "But that's so soon. How on earth will you find time to do everything? There are suits to be ordered and fittings to be done and a place to be rented and flowers and…" Harry smiled at Hermione than walked to Mrs. Weasley's side and put an arm around her. "It's all right. Everything's under control. It's just going to be a small wedding. Just you guys, Hermione's parents, and a few friends. If we need to, we'll have a bigger wedding next year on our first anniversary. For now, this is all we need." He moved to stand in front of her and he placed his hand on her cheek and forced her to look up at him. "You've always been like a mother to me and I love you for that, I do, but trust me when I say that everything will be fine and that this is the way we want it to be."

Mrs. Weasley smiled and pulled him into a tight hug. "We love you, Harry," she said softly. "Thank you for allowing us to."

Harry kissed her on the cheek and said, "No, I need to thank you for accepting me, knowing how dangerous it was. I'll never forget all you've done."

She stepped back and nodded her head then reluctantly let him go to return to the woman he loved. She felt a piece of her go with him just as she would if he had been of her own flesh and blood and she smiled a melancholy sort of smile as she silently relinquished her self-appointed role of caregiver to Hermione.

"Well then," said Mr. Weasley rubbing his hands together, "you'll have to give us the details."

"Oh, we will," Hermione said with a soft chuckle, "as soon as we have them."

"We're working all the details out now. Maybe we'll just get married in the garden at the Granger's house. It's beautiful back there," Harry said, "and since there won't be very many people the size is perfect."

Hermione looked at him in astonishment, she hadn't thought about the backyard at her house but he was right, it would be perfect. "Harry, that's perfect," she said thoughtfully, "we'll have to talk to mum and dad about it when we get home."

Harry smiled widely at her. "I told you I'd find a way no matter what, didn't I?"

Hermione laughed. "That you did Mr. Potter," she said happily, "that you did."

Congratulations resounded throughout the room once again and Harry and Hermione felt sure their smiles couldn't get any wider or their hearts any lighter. It'd been a great birthday, the best Harry had ever had but he was suddenly anxious to get home.

"Hey Ron," he called out, "we're going to go. It's getting late and we need to talk to Hermione's parents."

Hermione looked at Ron questioningly as though she had just realized something. "What happened to the article for The Quibbler?" she asked. "We haven't been hounded by questions and we haven't gotten a copy yet. What's going on with that?"

"Bloody hell," Ron exclaimed looking sharply at Luna, "I forgot all about it what with Dumbledore's letters and all. Want I can give it to Luna now?"

"No," Hermione said with a mischievous grin, "may as well wait until after the wedding now."

"Ooh," said Luna, "first they don't know you're even out of the hospital and next thing they know you're married. That's very sneaky."

"That's very brilliant," Harry exclaimed. He looked at Ron and nodded his head, "Yeah, just hold off on that a little longer."

"That's a relief! Thought I screwed it up royally this time," Ron said with an exaggerated wipe of his brow.

Hermione walked toward him and gave him a hug. "Normally I would agree," she said softly, "but this time your laziness actually worked out beautifully."

"Lazy?" Ron exclaimed. "I'll have you know I've been very busy…" He paused suddenly and looked at Luna who was looking pointedly at him in return. He dropped his eyes quickly and said, "…lazy…right…yeah…"

Harry and Hermione exchanged bemused glances before once again announcing they needed to leave.

"Well, happy birthday then Harry," said George.

"Yeah mate, happy birthday. Stop by the joke shop sometime soon…" Fred said.

"We've got some new stuff we'd like to show you," said George.

"And hey…" said Fred.

"…thanks for the map," said George. "We already gave it to Ginny."

"Not like we had a choice though, mate," said Fred with a heavy sigh.

"Yeah, she's a vicious one," George said with a shake of his head.

Harry couldn't help but to laugh at them. He knew that whatever Ginny had given them they probably deserved.

"Speaking of Ginny," Hermione said looking around the room, "where is she?"

"I think she went to her room," George said.

"I'll be back in a minute," she told Harry as she started ascending the stairs. Hermione climbed the stairs as quickly as she could and knocked on Ginny's door.

"Yeah," she heard Ginny call softly from inside.

"Ginny, it's me, Hermione."

"Come on in."

"Hey," Hermione said when she walked into the room, "what's going on? You all right?"

"Yeah," Ginny replied softly, "I'm all right." She looked up at Hermione with unshed tears in her eyes. "It's just hard, you know?"

Hermione moved to sit next to her on the bed. "What's hard? What's going on?" she asked worriedly.

"It's just that…" she took a long, drawn out, deep breath, "it's just that you guys won't be there this year, you know? At Hogwarts. Nothing's going to be the same. No more adventures. No more making fun of Ron and Harry in the common room or listening to you and Ron argue over homework. No more Harry and Ron on the Quidditch team. It's just going to be hard."

"Hey," Hermione said softly, "it'll be all right. We may not be at Hogwarts but we'll always be close. It'll just be one year and then you'll be free to go on as many adventures as you want with us. Luna will be there."

Ginny looked up at Hermione and rolled her eyes. "As much as I like Luna there's not much comparison, you know?"

"That's true," Hermione agreed, "but you'll have to get used to having her around a lot more often. I'm quite sure she and Ron are going to be together for a long, long time. Maybe you can get her into a more adventurous spirit to prepare her for a lifetime with Ron. You've got the map now, use it."

Ginny looked at Hermione in surprise, "Is Hermione Granger actually encouraging me to break the rules and use the map?" she incredulously.

Hermione laughed. "Well, now that Voldemort's not a threat there's really no reason why you shouldn't. Besides, I won't be Head Girl so I won't be there to yell at you anyway. Have fun Ginny…it's about time, don't you think?"

"Yeah," Ginny said nodding, "you're right. It is about time for fun…a different kind of fun. Thanks Hermione."

"Hey, what're friends for?" Hermione said softly.

"You know," Ginny said, "you've always been more like a sister to me then just a friend."

"I know what you mean," Hermione said with tears beginning to well in her eyes, "you've been like a little sister to me too. I'm glad for that. Speaking of which…"

"Yes?" Ginny said curiously.

"You know that Harry and I are getting married on 1st September, I want you to be my Maid of Honor, are you interested?"

"Are you serious?" Ginny exclaimed. "You want me to be in the wedding?"

"Of course," Hermione said laughing. "Who else?"

"Wow! I'd love to," Ginny said excitedly. Suddenly her face fell and she looked up at Hermione with sad eyes. "But I have to go back to school that day. I have to get on the train."

"Don't worry about it. It's Harry Potter's wedding day. I'm sure we can make arrangements for you and Luna to get to school a little later than everyone else. You've already been sorted so I'm sure it won't be a problem."

Ginny threw her arms around her. "You're the best, Hermione. You really are. I love you, you know," she exclaimed.

"Love you too, Ginny," Hermione replied laughing. "But now I have to get down to Harry so we can leave. We need to talk to my parents about having the wedding in the garden."

Ginny nodded and let go. "So what'll I wear?"

"How about if I send you a few things and you decide? Your mum can help you fix them up any way you like. All I want is to marry Harry and to have you there with me. What anyone wears is really not a concern…just don't come naked," she added with a laugh.

Ginny laughed and rolled her eyes, "No problem there," she said. "I'll be looking out for what you send me. I can't believe you want me in your wedding. This is so incredibly exciting."

"Well, I can't think of anyone I'd rather have standing beside me," Hermione said. She grabbed Ginny's hands in hers and jumped excitedly on the bed, "Can you believe I'm getting married in a month?" she said excitedly. "A month!" Her heart was beating rapidly in her chest as her excitement mounted and she bounced on the bed feeling giddy. "Mrs. Harry Potter. Hermione Jane Potter. Mrs. Harry James Potter…just one month," she repeated again softly.

"One month," Ginny confirmed for her. "I'm so happy for you."

Hermione returned her focus to Ginny. "Thank you."

They hugged once again before they walked out the door and descended the steps together. Harry looked up just as Hermione became visible to him on the steps and his heart stopped for a moment as he watched her walk toward him. She looked the same as she had when she'd walked up but seeing her now, well … apparently even five minutes' absence truly does make the heart grow fonder.

At the sight of him Hermione descended the steps more quickly and rushed to give him a kiss on the cheek. "You ready?" she asked.

"Yeah, what took you so long though? Everything okay?" he asked softly.

"Yeah, great! I asked her to be my Maid of Honor for the wedding. Have you asked Ron to be the best man?"

Harry shook his head. "Nope. Didn't think about it, truth be told. Hang on." He turned to look at Ron and called out, "Hey Ron?"

"Yeah mate?"

"Best man?"

"Yep."

"Okay, Hermione all set," he said smiling at her.

Hermione laughed as she compared the emotional scene between her and Ginny to the one that just played out between Harry and Ron. She shook her head. "All right, let's go."

They said their goodbyes and thank you's then headed out the door. They were in a hurry to get back to Hermione's so they decided to leave Harry's gifts until the wedding or until Ron decided to send them by owl post…they weren't counting on seeing them until the wedding!

They apparated back to her house and immediately set out to look for her parents to discuss the use of their garden.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Their wedding day dawned brightly and Hermione was relieved to see there wasn't a cloud in the sky. She and Harry slept in different rooms of the house because of the Muggle tradition of not seeing the bride before the wedding. It was something that her mother believed in and Hermione didn't want to take any chances…the last thing they needed was to test the fates in the bad luck department.

The wedding was planned for noon so that Ginny and Luna could get to Hogwarts at a reasonable time that evening and Hermione woke up frustratingly early. It was 6am and she would have to wait another 6 hours to see Harry. She tried fretfully to go back to sleep for a couple more hours to no avail. By 6:30 she had already risen and was in the shower. She stood under the water for a long time letting the hot spray beat down upon her as she thought about the day and all that it would bring with it. Her thoughts drifted to that night…the night when they would consummate their love, and her heart soared…in just a few short hours she would be his and he would be hers. She left the shower feeling better than she ever had.

Her mum arrived in her room shortly after her shower with a little food. "You need to eat something honey. You may not get another chance before the wedding."

"I know, mum, it's just…" Hermione sighed and looked at her mother with tears in her eyes, "can you believe this?" she asked her. "I'm getting married."

"I know sweetheart," her mum said softly, "tell me how it makes you feel."

"I can't," she replied, "it's all so overwhelming and so wonderful and…and…" she looked directly into her mother's eyes, "I love him so much it almost hurts. How can this happen in such a short time? I mean, we didn't even know until Voldemort was defeated. That wasn't that long ago. How is it that I can feel this strongly in such a short time?" She closed her eyes and fought back the tears that still threatened to fall. When she opened them again she looked into her mother's eyes once more and said, "Mum, it scares me. I literally cannot live without him. If anything were to happen…if his heart ever stopped beating…mine would stop beating right along with it and whether we were together or apart, I know I would die at the exact moment he did. Loving someone that much scares me."

"Honey, whether you realize it now or even if you never realize it, your love for him has always been a part of you. You lived because of it and yes, God forbid, someday you may die because of it. But it's that way with all relationships when love is real. I would die for your father just as he would for me if it came down to that. The realization may be new to you but the feelings certainly aren't. Even your father and I had a pretty good idea that there was more to the two of you then just friendship. Do you know why we were expecting you and praying that you would ask to marry Harry?"

Hermione shook her head and remained silent.

"Because sweetheart, we knew that if you wanted to ask him than that meant you truly loved him. We knew from his letters how much he loved you and I told him that we were praying that you would return his feelings. The moment you walked into the study everything was confirmed for us and we knew that our prayers had been answered. Your father and I love you very much and if there was any doubt whatsoever in our minds, we would have pressured you to wait longer to marry him. He's a wonderful man, Hermione, and we know that he'll make you happy…that you'll make each other happy."

At some point in her mother's talk Hermione had broken down completely and she now sobbed uncontrollably. Her mother sat down on her bed and pulled her baby girl onto her lap, Hermione wrapped her arms around her mother's neck and together they sat, just as they had done so many times before when Hermione had been younger, and her mother began to cry with her. "I miss this, baby girl," she whispered hoarsely. "Holding you like this has always been one of life's greatest joys for me. I love you, sweetheart."

"I love you too mum," Hermione said softly against her neck.

"Should I get a book?" her mother said trying to lighten the intense mood.

Hermione laughed. "Maybe next time. I think I should start getting ready for my wedding."

"Promise there'll be a next time?"

"Yes," Hermione replied softly, "I promise that there will definitely be a next time."

"All right then," her mum conceded. She released Hermione and helped her stand up. "I think we should go to my room. You can get ready in there so you'll have easier access to the bathroom."

"All right," Hermione agreed. "Everyone should be arriving shortly. I wonder what Ginny will be wearing. It's actually kind of exciting that I don't know. It'll be a surprise for me just like everyone else. Whatever it is, I know she'll be beautiful."

"No more beautiful then the bride though, I imagine," her mum said smiling.

"Oh…well…you haven't seen Ginny Weasley in a while," Hermione said, "she's far more beautiful then I could ever hope to be."

"Don't sell yourself short sweetheart," her mother said, "you have beauty that radiates from the inside out and no one can compete with that."

Unsure of how to respond to that she shooed her mother toward the door. "Go check for Harry," she said quickly, "so I can get to your room."

Her mother walked out into the hallway and came back a minute later. "All clear."

Hermione ran quickly to her parents' room on the other side of the house and rushed inside the door laughing. She felt like a kid playing hide and seek who was hoping to tag home before she got caught.

"Goodness child," her mother said as she made it through the door. "I don't think I can remember a time when you've ever moved so fast."

"Well," Hermione said still laughing, "I was never trying to avoid my future husband before!"

"Very true," her mother agreed, "now…let's get you going here."

They spent the next couple of hours getting ready and by the time they were done all of the Weasleys had arrived along with Neville, Luna, and Fred and George's girlfriends. That was the extent of their guest list; a small, quiet wedding with close friends and family. They tried to invite Hagrid but they hadn't been able to reach him. Harry thought finding him would be the first adventure they went on together as husband and wife…after the honeymoon of course.

Around 11:00 Ginny entered the master bedroom and visibly staggered at the sight of Hermione standing there. Her face was flushed and a radiant glow seemed to surround her…she was absolutely breathtaking. Her hair was pulled up in a chignon with wavy tendrils framing her face. Pearls and lace were weaved into her hair where it had been pulled up and the style made her look older, more mature and elegant. She wore an old strand of pearls that had been passed down from her great-great-grandmother and delicate earrings to match. Her makeup was light and applied perfectly. Her dress was white satin with a beaded bodice and straps that crossed in the back. The bottom of the dress tapered toward the back and the train extended a couple of feet behind her. The front of the dress was just short enough for Ginny to see that she wore something that resembled glass shoes on her feet.

"What are those?" Ginny asked pointing at her feet.

Hermione smiled. She lifted her leg to give her a better look. "They're glass slippers, aren't they beautiful?"

"Glass slippers?" Ginny questioned. "You mean glass slippers as in Cinderella glass slippers?"

Hermione nodded her head and laughed. "It's a long story. Remind me to tell you about it when this is over. Let's look at you right now," she said surveying Ginny and her dress.

Ginny lifted her arms and spun in a slow circle. "Well?"

"Beautiful. Just like I knew you'd be," Hermione replied. She'd sent Ginny three dresses one a soft cream color, another one in emerald green, and another one in a deep, velvety blue. Ginny had loved them all and it wasn't until the very last minute that she'd closed her eyes and randomly picked one.

"What made you pick that one?" Hermione asked curiously.

"Well, I couldn't make up my mind so I closed my eyes and grabbed one," Ginny said smiling as though embarrassed. "I didn't know what I was going to wear until a few minutes before we left."

"Well you look stunning."

"You're one to talk," Ginny said looking at her once again in awe, "I never knew anyone could look so beautiful. You better hope Harry doesn't faint when he sees you."

"He won't. He's strong."

"I wouldn't bet on it," Ginny muttered softly to herself as Hermione glanced at her reflection in the mirror.

"Well, I guess this is it. What time is it?"

"11:48," her mother said as she returned to the room. She was wearing a cream colored pantsuit that fit her beautifully and Hermione whistled.

"Look at you," she said with eyes opened wide, "you better hope dad doesn't pass out."

"You just…" her mother said waving her hand toward her daughter. She looked at her reflection in the mirror and adjusted her hair and her jacket and then smiled at herself before she turned around to look at her daughter with raised eyebrows, "I don't look too bad, do I?" she said laughing.

Hermione walked over to her and placed her arms around her shoulders. "No, you look beautiful. I love you."

Her mum was staring at the reflection of the two of them standing together that way and she smiled softly as tears welled up in her eyes. "I love you too, baby girl," she whispered.

"Don't start crying on me," Hermione demanded, "you'll mess up my makeup."

"Oh…well…we can't have that now can we?" her father said from the doorway.

Hermione started at the sound of his voice and a huge grin spread across her face. He was wearing a beautiful black suit with a cream colored shirt and tie to match her mother's pantsuit and he looked stunning. "Daddy!" she exclaimed excitedly. "You look so handsome."

He walked quickly to her and picked her up in a strong hug. "And you, baby girl, are simply breathtaking. It seems like only yesterday you were climbing trees and skinning your knees on the pavement. Has there really been enough time for you to have grown into such a beautiful young woman?" he asked as he set her back down on the ground. "I feel like I should still be holding your hand to cross the street and here I am preparing to walk you down the aisle." He placed his hand on her cheek and studied her face. "Where has all the time gone, baby girl?" he asked quietly.

"Oh Daddy," Hermione sighed pulling him into another hug. "I love you."

"I love you too little one," he said as he pulled away from her, "are you ready?"

Hermione looked at her mum and then at Ginny before returning her attention to her dad. "Yeah, I'm ready," she said breathing deeply.

"Harry's outside waiting on you," he said then he looked at Ginny, "and your brother is waiting on you. Why don't you go join him and I'll walk this little one out right behind you?"

Ginny nodded and reached for Hermione's hand. "See you soon. Love you."

"Love you too, Ginny. Thanks."

Ginny headed out the door and Hermione turned to her mother and gave her one more hug before turning to her dad to do the same. "Love you guys," she said softly.

"We love you too, sweetheart," her mum replied. "I'm going to head out to take my seat. I'll see you both out there in a few minutes." She gave them both a kiss and exchanged a loving look with her husband before she left.

"This is it," Hermione said softly.

"Yep, this is it," her father replied, "how're you holding up?"

"I don't know," she said honestly, "I've never wanted anything more than this in my entire life and now that it's here I'm a little scared."

"I'd be worried about you if you weren't a little scared," her father replied, "you should be scared. It's a big step. It's natural to feel that way. I felt the same way when I married your mum. But let me tell you something…" he placed his hand on her cheek and smiled tenderly at her, "…the moment you see him standing up there and you feel that love he has for you, everything your feeling now will be forgotten. All I can remember is seeing your mother's face as she was walking down the aisle and I knew that I had nothing to fear. You'll see."

"Thanks daddy," she whispered. "I needed that."

He nodded at her and she linked her arm through his and together they walked through the door as he mentally prepared himself to relinquish his role as caregiver to another man…

The backyard had been magically transformed into a magnificent garden oasis as flowers of different types, sizes and colors burst from all around. The cooler weather of September had caused some of the flowers to go dormant so Harry took it upon himself to bring life back to the garden. There were white chairs set up on either side of a short path that led to a tall, white arbor over which hung climbing roses with red and white blooms. There was a raised platform under the arbor which Harry, Ron, Ginny, and the minister now stood. Hermione was watching them from where she stood at the back door. At the sight of Harry she wanted to run forward and throw herself into his arms. Sensing her desire her father held her arm firmly and said, "Slowly, baby girl. Just relax." She smiled at him gratefully.

Harry and Ron were in deep conversation when Hermione arrived in the doorway and Ginny reached out to tug on Harry's sleeve and pointed to where she stood. For just a moment his heart stopped beating and he grabbed Ron's arm as he staggered backward. Ron held tightly to him until he felt Harry stand up straight again and the pressure of having to hold him was released from his arm. "Thanks mate," Harry whispered unable to take his eyes off Hermione. He still wasn't sure that he'd remain standing but he took a deep breath and tried to steel himself against falling.

"She's beautiful," Ron whispered from behind him.

Harry, never taking his eyes from her, could only nod. He didn't see the smirk on Ginny's face as she watched him watch Hermione…she was surprised to see him still standing.

The wedding march began and Hermione somehow managed to walk slowly and to stay in step with her father despite her desire to run forward. It was a short walk to reach him but it felt as though it was taking forever. Her father smiled and reluctantly released his hold on her as Harry, anxious to get to her, stepped off the platform and walked with her the last few steps then helped her step onto the platform. He smiled and shook his head slightly when he saw the glass slippers on her feet. Understanding his reaction she smiled widely at him and winked.

When she stepped onto the platform Hermione walked to Ginny and leaned forward to kiss her cheek before handing her the bridal bouquet. She turned around and found Harry waiting anxiously for her in the middle of the platform and as she reached out to take his hands she realized that her father had been right…all of her fear was gone.

"Family, friends, and loved ones we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Mr. Harry James Potter and Miss Hermione Jane Granger…" the minister began, "who here gives this bride away?"

Harry and Hermione pulled their eyes away from each other and watched as her parents stood, clinging to each other. "Her mother and I do," her father said in a remarkably clear voice considering the level of emotion that was coursing through his body. He was visibly shaking when he sat down and Hermione saw her mother lean toward him and whisper something in his ear. He nodded his head and squeezed her arm before returning his gaze to the platform where Hermione was still watching him with concern. He smiled and winked at her and she felt as though a small weight had been lifted from her and she smiled then turned back to Harry.

The ceremony continued and they exchanged vows and rings before the minister asked if there was anything they'd like to say to each other before he pronounced them husband and wife. Harry and Hermione both nodded and Harry began…

"Well, first off, I thought I was going to faint when I saw you standing in the doorway," he said, trying to keep his voice light as everyone laughed quietly, "as beautiful as you are, seeing you there literally took my breath away. Thank God Ron was there to catch me." He cast a glance back at Ron and smiled gratefully. Ron nodded his head. "Anytime," he said softly causing everyone to laugh once more.

"I know now that I've probably loved you forever. There's no way this feeling can be new…it's too powerful for that…too strong. I can't imagine you not being near me, every time you walk away you take a little piece of me with you and I can feel it missing until you come back to me. It doesn't matter where you go or how long you're gone, I can feel it every time. I never want to lose sight of you…of us. I promise to give you the space you need when you need it but expect me to be right there beside you when you don't. You are my life, my breath, the one thing that keeps my heart beating. Without you I'm nothing. I love you Her-my-oh-nee…and yes, you do deserve a song and you deserve your happily-ever-after and all we can do now is work toward achieving it … together."

"Harry, you have no idea how much I wanted to run up here to this platform and jump into your arms the moment I saw you standing here. Now I thank God that dad was there to keep me from making a fool of myself," she said with tears in her eyes a tender smile for her daddy. She took a deep, ragged breath before she continued. "I have no idea how long I've loved you. No idea why it took me so long to see it. Maybe it's because we're young and I have a tendency to look at things a little more practically then most," she paused as Ron agreed with her and their friends and family laughed softly, "thanks Ron," she quipped, causing more soft laughter. "Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I guess I didn't for the simple reason that I wasn't looking for it…because now I know that it was always there. I know that I couldn't possibly feel this way if it hadn't always been there. I wasn't looking for love at 18, love found me…you found me. You saved me. You brought me back from the coma and you stood by me through everything that happened afterward. You brought life to me when I thought I'd reached the end. You brought love to me when I did nothing but cause you pain…and all because you love me. How could I ever want for more than that? How could I ever question that what we have is real? It doesn't come any more real than this, Harry. You are my life and I know that if something happened to take you away from this world, I would not be far behind. My heart could not go on without yours. They beat together for now…and forever. I love you."

"If that is all, we can continue," the minister said looking between the two of them. They both nodded and he continued, "By the power vested in me I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss your bride."

Harry put his hands on either side of her face and brought her close and with tears in his eyes and a smile on his face he whispered, "I love you Mrs. Potter."

Hermione's body shook with pleasure at his words and she returned his smile and whispered back, "I love you too Mr. Potter."

The kiss they shared was chaste compared to others they'd shared in the past but the emotion behind it and the newfound feelings of love and togetherness spoke volumes more than even the most passionate kiss could. They didn't hear their friends and family clapping, or whistling, or shouting their names…

Ron grabbed Harry's shoulder and pulled him just enough to get his attention. It took a few seconds for him to break away from her but finally, reluctantly he did. "Save it for the honeymoon mate," Ron said. He had tears in his eyes and a smile on his face as he watched them…he couldn't have been any happier for them.

"Why save it for the honeymoon when I could do that all day and night?" Harry asked, never taking his eyes off Hermione.

"Because there are people here who want to congratulate you man," Ron said turning Harry so he could see the people rising from their chairs.

"Oh!" he exclaimed. "S'pose you're right."

Hermione laughed and pulled him to her side so she could loop her arm through his. She got her flowers back from Ginny and they faced the small audience.

"I present to you Mr. and Mrs. Harry James Potter," the minister said loudly.

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and together they stepped off the platform and into their future…

Epilogue to the Epilogue…

The reception began shortly after the ceremony and a small dance floor had been set up in a corner of the backyard. As the music started to play a quiet, shy guy approached a beautiful, not so shy girl.

"Hi Ginny," he said with his head lowered toward the ground.

Ginny bent down and tried to catch his eye, forcing him to raise his head. "Hi Neville," she replied when he finally did.

"You look…" he swallowed hard and took a deep breath then looked into her eyes, "you look beautiful. That color of blue is perfect on you."

Color flashed hot on Ginny's cheeks at his compliment. "Thanks Neville," she said softly.

"You're welcome," he said. He turned as though he was going to leave so Ginny grabbed his shoulder and spun him around. "Care to step on my feet?" she asked smiling and gesturing in the direction of the dance floor.

"Would I ever," Neville said excitedly, his eyes lighting up at the prospect of having Ginny in his arms once again; just like his fourth year at the Yule Ball…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry and Hermione stood facing each other on the dance floor. "How much longer do we have to stay?" Harry whispered in her ear.

Hermione giggled and rolled her eyes. "I think we need to stick around for a while Harry. But I don't think it'll matter."

"What do you mean?" he asked pulling her in close and rubbing his hands up and down her hips.

Hermione was looking into his eyes while she played with the hair just above his collar. "Well, when I finally get you alone I plan to make up for lost time," she said raising her eyebrows seductively, "so, sticking around here a while longer certainly won't matter too much in the end."

"It will if you keep looking at me like that," he said huskily.

She pulled him down to press her lips against his and once again they melted into each other and seemed to forget where they were as concentrated solely on each other.

All around them couples were dancing closely, caught up in the moment and concerned with nothing but each other. Old vows were renewed. New vows were made. And for the first time in a very long time, there was no dark cloud looming overhead.

Things were looking up all over…and it appeared as though Harry and Hermione wouldn't be the only ones to find their happily-ever-after………………………………….

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's it! There is no more. I truly hope you enjoyed my fairy tale. I've debated how much to give for this epilogue and decided that perhaps the wedding would be a good place to end it.

Sorry for taking so long to get this out. Homework has been a bear and, to be honest, I've had a little trouble thinking about letting go. This has been a lot of fun and a great experience.

Thanks radcliffespixie for your comments at the beginning and everything since…you know what I'm talking about!

I'm looking forward to hearing what you all think…and thanks for your time, both in reading and reviewing.

Take care,

H_HrFan


-->