Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

Harrys Mistress

Well here's an update, although this is kind of a filler chapter. Hope you enjoy it nonetheless.

Chapter 21

The rest of November went by in a flash for the trio and for Harry the past few weeks had been rather enjoyable. Harry had pretty much done what Hermione asked and went along like nothing happened between them. He didn't step away from her either. He always made sure that he was close, so she wouldn't forget he was there.

He would try ways to touch her, accidentally of course, whether it was a brush of the hand or a casual bump between their bodies. It was a task he always enjoyed doing, because she would let out a gasp or her whole body would freeze from just a simple contact with him.

Ron was getting into the swing of things at the house. He spent a lot of time getting his room set up just the way he wanted it. Daisy seemed to like Ron well enough, but Harry
noticed she never looked up at him with adoration like she did with himself or Hermione.

As for Ron and Hermione, Harry was even more sure that they were all wrong for each other. Hermione pretty much kept her distance from him…from both of them. Harry could tell that Ron was confused by her behavior and he did feel sorry for his friend. The sooner Ron realized he was wrong for Hermione, the sooner he could get on with his life. Maybe then he would open his eyes and see how perfect Luna was.

Maybe he'd ask Luna to the Victory Ball that was being held at the Malfoy Manor a few weeks away. Ron had already asked Hermione, he did so one night at the dinner table. She had flushed and stuttered her words while she tried to avoid his long stare he had been giving her, but in the end she managed to blurt out an answer.

Harry smiled at the idea of taking Luna to the ball. Not only would it hopefully make Ron jealous, but it wouldn't hurt to see a little jealousy from Hermione as well. Harry got up from his bed and walked over to his desk, pulling out a blank parchment. School was out for Christmas break, so he wrote a quick message to Luna asking her if she'd like to meet for dinner tonight.

Harry rolled up the parchment and went over to Hedwig who was perched happily on top of her cage. "Up for delivering a message?" He asked as he held up the rolled parchment.

Hedwig ruffled her feathers and flapped her wings with excitement.

Harry laughed. "I'll take that as a yes." Harry tied the message to her outstretched leg. "Come back with a reply, okay?"

Hedwig nuzzled her beak against his hand and then took off out the open window. He watched her fly off for a bit, before walking back to his bed and picking up the James Patterson novel Hermione had given him to read. He had been the first home like most days, Ron was helping the twins at the store until he figured out what he wanted to do. Hermione was at her store and usually the last one home.

After a long practice Harry had come home to a very happy Daisy greeting him at the door. He let her out so she could do her business and then Daisy followed him up the stairs. After a quick shower he pulled on some jeans and a sweatshirt before lounging in bed reading. Daisy was now curled up next to him with her head resting on his stomach while Harry was engrossed with his book.

He was just finishing up a chapter when he heard the front door open and close. Daisy lifted her head and her ears perked up. "It's only Ron, Daisy," Harry said never looking up from his book. Daisy's ears deflated and her head found it's way back on his stomach. Harry grinned when she sighed in misery. "She'll be home soon," he assured her as he stroked her head with his free hand.

Harry heard Ron rummaging in the kitchen, looking for a snack to hold him off before dinner. His footsteps thudded up the stairs and then got louder as they made their way to his room, then stopped before hearing a knock on his door. "Yeah, come in," Harry grunted.

The door opened and Ron walked in munching on an apple. "Hey, Daisy." Daisy lifted her head and thumped her tail, telling Ron she was excited to see him, but not excited enough to get up from her spot. "Oh, I see how it is. That hurts, Daisy."

"She likes you," Harry said as he looked up at him. "She just likes me better." He then saw the apple in his hand and shook his head. "Tell me Ron, do you want a death wish?"

Ron blinked as he chewed on his latest bite. "Huh?"

"The apples in the fridge are Hermione's."

"Fo?" he asked with his mouthful then took another healthy bite.

"So, she's going to realize the apples missing and it's going to be you she chews out."

"It's just an apple."

"Yeah, but Hermione loves those apples," he pointed out with a laugh. "She dips them in peanut butter."

"Since when?" He asked another bite, obviously not concerned in the least.

"Mags got her hooked on it a couple of months ago." Harry winced when he threw the half eaten apple in his trash can. "Come on mate, at least finish the thing if your going to eat one."

"I didn't want to get full for dinner." He pulled out Harry's desk chair and straddled it from behind, resting his forearms on the back of it. "Speaking of Hermione….can I talk to you about something?"

Harry sighed as he closed his book and set it aside. "About what?"

Ron sighed. "Well…okay, when I woke up," he began as he shifted in his chair. "I figured she and I would…you know start…dating or whatever."

Harry nodded. "Right."

"Well….instead she tells me she needs time, which I respected at first but…" He blew out a breath. "I just can't seem to get through to her."

"Eating her apples isn't a good way to start."

Ron rolled his eyes. "Come on, Harry, I'm serious."

"Who's joking?" He shrugged. "You need to be more respectable with her Ron, as her friend just as much as her boyfriend."

"I respect her," he shot back but then dropped his shoulders in defeat. "I just…you know me, I can be a little clueless at times."

"Yeah, I know," he said with a smile. "Look Ron, you and Hermione are my family, I want you two be happy. Whatever is going on between you two, you need to figure it out. Maybe the ball can be some kind of…shit, I don't know…trial run to see if you are meant to be with her."

"What if it's a disaster?"

"Then you aren't meant to be with her," he said getting that idea in his head. "Ron, it won't be the end of the world. Like someone told me…things don't always turn out the way you plan them. Think about it."

Before Ron could make another comment, Hedwig flew through the window and landed on his bed. "Excellent, Luna replied."

Ron straightened in his chair. "What? Luna?"

"Mmm-hmm," he said reading the letter. "I asked her to dinner tonight. Looks like she can make it."

Ron's floor dropped as he watched Harry leave his bed and walk into the closet. "Wha--Why?"

"Why what?" Harry grinned; turning his back to him as he took off his sweatshirt and picked out one of his sweaters.

Ron got up from his chair and stood outside of the closet. "Why are you going to dinner with Luna?"

Harry pulled his sweater and then grabbed his winter boots. "I thought I'd ask her to the ball," he said passing Ron and went back to the bed to put on his boots.

Ron felt something very unpleasant twist in his gut as he stared at his friend. "You're asking Luna to the ball?"

Harry looked up at him as he finished tying his first boot. "Why are you asking so many questions?"

"Why Luna?"

Harry looked down at his task of tying his other boot so he could hide his grin. "Why not?"

Ron frowned as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "I just didn't realize you two were close."

"I like Luna," he said putting his foot down and looked up at him. "And I still need a date. Did you expect me to go alone?"

"No of course not," he said quickly.

"Well then," Harry said standing up. "I better run, I'm meeting her at the Leaky Cauldron in a few minutes."

Just then the sound of the front door opening and closing caught their attention. Harry looked at Daisy who had her head up and alert. "Looks like mum is home."

Daisy leapt off the bed and ran for the door, panting in excitement as she waited impatiently for one of them to open the door.

"All right hold your horses," Harry laughed as he opened the door for her. As soon as the door was wide enough for her she bolted out and flew down the stairs. "Daisy may like me better than you, but I can't hold a candle to Hermione."

"Yeah," Ron said absently as he followed Harry down the stairs.

Harry trotted down the stairs and took two steps before nearly running into Hermione. "Sorry," he said as he went the other way.

"No my fault," Hermione laughed going the same way he did.

They laughed and went the other way, then the other way, before finally Harry had enough and lifted her off the ground and rotated her around so they switched places. "There."

Hermione had let out a yelp when he easily plucked her off her feet as if she weighed nothing. She could only stare up at him as he gave her that easy grin she loved and hated so much. "Th-thanks," she finally managed to say.

"Sure, you two have fun at dinner without me," he said as he turned to leave.

Hermione suddenly shook her head out of her daze. "Wait, what? Where are you going?"

"Out to dinner," he said grabbing his coat off the rack. "With Luna." He looked at Hermione as he put on his coat. "I'll be back later."

He gave Daisy a quick pat on the head and then opened the door and walked out.

Once outside, Harry grinned in triumph. Things were definitely starting to look good.