Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

Harrys Mistress

Yea! Here's an update. I stayed home sick today and finally got some writing done! It's Christmas morning at the Grangers! Enjoy!

Chapter 36

Harry snuck out early. Giving Hermione a kiss on the cheek, before sliding out of the bed, locating his boxers, then tiptoed across the hall in his room. He crawled in his own bed and fell back asleep for a couple of more hours, until he was woken up by Mr. Granger.

"Rise and shine, Harry," he said knocking on the open door.

Harry sat up slowly, yawning as he rubbed his sleepy eyes. "I smell bacon."

Jim chuckled. "Anna's cooking breakfast and if you want some, I suggest you hurry. They disappear fast."

"All right." Harry flew the covers off and grabbed his pajama pants. "Is Hermione up?"

"I just woke her up, so she should be emerging from her bedroom soon."

"Okay, I'll see you down there."

Jim nodded. "Happy Christmas, Harry."

Harry grinned lazily. "Happy Christmas, Jim."

He quickly dressed in his pajamas and as he stepped out into the hallway, ran into Hermione who was just exiting her room. "Well hey there." Harry smiled as he stepped into her arms. "Happy Christmas."

Hermione grinned as he met his mouth happily with hers. "Happy Christmas." She bit his lower lip. "When you sneak out?"

"Couple of hours ago." He framed her face with his hands, giving her sweet kisses. "I figured I should make a run for it while I could."

"Good thinking." She snuggled into him. "I missed you when I woke up."

"Didn't your dad wake you up?"

Hermione grinned. "Uh-huh."

"Well, then please be glad that I wasn't there, or I'd be good as dead right now."

Hermione just laughed. "Come on, let's go enjoy our first Christmas morning together."

"Mmm." He kissed her one last time, long and slow. "Let's."

XXX

"This is for you, Anna," Harry said handing her his present.

"Oh." Anna's eyes softened as she accepted the small white box wrapped in vibrant red ribbon, with a matching bow on top. "Isn't it charming."

"You haven't even opened it yet," Harry said amused.

"Yes, but I know I'll love it," she said as she carefully untied the bow, knowing that she'll foolishly keep it in one of her treasure boxes. She opened the box and a small gasp escaped her as she fished out the small porcelain statue she knew she would cherish always. It was a Pegasus and it was just big enough to fit in the palm of her hand. The magical winged horse was sitting down, with her legs folded under her, her wings spread out in a graceful arch and around her neck she wore a silver necklace that adorned periwinkle jewels that winked in the light. "Oh Harry…she's lovely. How lovely."

"I…Hermione told me you always loved horses and how you got excited when she said Pegasus did exist." Harry smiled at Anna. "I can't give you a real one, but I thought she would do."

"Oh. Well." Anna sniffed. "I'm just going to have to sit here and cry a little."

Harry panicked when he saw Anna's eyes start to fill. "Don't…please don't cry."

"Forget it, son," Jim said as he started to fish out the tissue paper in Harry's present. "When she has a mind for a good cry, you can't stop her." Jim pulled out the heavy tackle box and stared at it, not believing his eyes. He looked up at Harry with hopeful eyes. "Is this what I think it is?"

Harry grinned. "Open the box and find out."

Jim unhooked the snaps, lifted the box and his heart sang. "Aw, hell." He saw the beautiful tools magically sprawled out before him and he felt his throat clog up with emotion. "Aw, bloody hell…now I'm going to cry."

Harry shared a smile with Hermione when Jim snagged Anna's handkerchief and blew his nose. "Guess he likes it," Harry murmured to her with a chuckle.


"Told you he would."

Jim rubbed his nose with the handkerchief and held it to Anna. "Here you go."

Anna held up her hand. "Keep it."

"Harry." Jim looked up at him with a bright smile. "This is great. You shouldn't have…these are top quality tools, I mean…I shouldn't except it."

"Well, we both know you're going to, so that's that. Enjoy it…maybe those tools will finally get your baby running."

"There's a thought." Jim got up from the couch hugging the tackle box to his chest. "Wanna go try it out Harry? Huh? We have all day, Christmas dinner's not till tonight."

Harry grinned at his excitemet. "You go on ahead of me, I'll join you later. I've got to give Hermione her gift now."

Jim just sighed as he looked at the tools adoringly, petting it as if it were a puppy. "Okay," he said dreamily and walked towards the garage door.

Anna chuckled. "Dear lord, he's never going to emerge from under that car." She perched her Pegasus, already deciding to call her Glenda, on the coffee table so she could admire it. "That was very sweet of you, Harry. I'm going to get Christmas dinner started." She got up and kissed the top of Harry's head before sauntering out of the den.

Hermione scowled at Harry. "I gave my parents books. Did you have to make me look bad?"

Harry laughed as he picked up her hand and nibbled her fingers. "Sorry, love…you going to stay mad, or do you want your present?"

Hermione sighed, then held out her other hand. "Gimmie."

Harry grinned as he put the small box wrapped in silver paper in her hand. "That's what I thought."

Hermione immediately attacked the wrapping paper. "My Mum always takes her time when she opens gifts, but I just seem to never be able to. I get too anxious. I mean, how can you be when you the anxiety of wanting to know what you….oh…oh wow."

Harry watched her pull out the long gold chain and dangling on the end was a large emerald shaped like a teardrop. "Do you like it? I…I saw it and it reminded me of you, I don't know…if you don't like it..."

"It…It's gorgeous, Harry," she said in wonder as the emerald gem dangled in front of her. It wasn't small, but it wasn't humungous either. It was just about the length of her pinkie. "I…I should tell you it's too much, but I want to be selfish and keep it instead."

Harry blew out a breath of relief. "That's good to hear." He took the necklace from her and draped it over her neck and the emerald rested comfortably between her breasts. "It suits you."

Hermione picked up the emerald and looked at it. "I'll wear it always…and think of you."

Harry leaned and kissed her. "That's also good to hear."

Hermione smiled and kissed him one last time. "Your turn." Hermione leaned behind her and gave him her present. "It's difficult shopping for a man who could buy anything he wanted…so I decided to give you something a little more personal."

Harry lifted a brow. "I'm intrigued," he said as he fished out the red and green tissue paper out of the bag then smiled when he pulled it out. "A book."

"Not just a book," she said with a sigh as she opened it. "My journal. I got the journal the day I found out I was a witch and have been writing in it up till a few days ago. I finally ran out of room."

Harry's heart lifted when he saw Hermione's neat little handwriting when she was only eleven years old. "You…this is yours…you're giving this to me?" Harry looked up at her in awe. "Hermione, these are your private thoughts."

"My thoughts are your thoughts." She shoved the book back in his hands. "I want you to know everything I felt…from when I first met you, till today."

Absolutely touched, Harry lifted a hand to her cheek. "Hermione…this…I don't even know what to say." So he leaned over and kissed her as sweetly as he could. "Thanks." He mumbled against her lips. "This means a lot."

"You're welcome."

Harry grinned as he skimmed through the pages. "So, how many times do you threaten to curse me in here?"

"Oh, not nearly enough as Ron," Hermione said with a grin, but it faltered. "I do talk about Ron in there, Harry."


"Well, I'd imagine so." He kissed her. "Don't worry, I won't get in a jealous rage if I read you had a crush on Ron in the fourth grade or anything."

Hermione chuckled. "Well, I never really say anything too positive in there about Ron, mostly that he's an annoying git and I don't know why I like him. That kind of stuff."

"Well, that will be enjoyable to read." Harry cupped the back of her neck and placed his forehead against hers. "I love you. Thanks."

"I love you, too." Hermione touched his cheek. "Happy Christmas."

Harry turned and planted a kiss in the palm of her hand. "Happy Christmas."