Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

Harrys Mistress

Another little chapter before the famous Victory Ball!! I'm at home sick today, so I could write! Nothing serious, just a little throat thing. I'm trying to nip it in the bud before it gets worse. I get this crap like four times a year. It's annoying.

The next chapter will probably be awhile, the whole ball night is something I've been planning since the beginning. A lot will happen so it's something to look forward to! For now, enjoy this little snippet and leave me those wonderful reviews! Even though I don't normally reply to all of them, you should all know how MUCH I love reading them! Every one! If you have an important question though, the best way to do that is to e-mail me. J

Anyway, here's the next chapter.

Chapter 22

Hours later Harry came home to a very quiet house. He assumed Ron and Hermione retired for the night….hopefully in their separate bedrooms. Dinner with Luna turned out to be a lot longer than he expected. He had a blast with her all night and after a few drinks Luna had finally admitted her feelings about Ron.

"Oh all right yes," she said in an exasperated sigh. "I adore the putz." She had then picked up her shot of firewhiskey and took a shot.

Harry winced when she ordered another one and made himself slow down, since he had a feeling she was going to need someone to watch over her. "Luna, he's just slow," Harry said as he chuckled softly when a lock of blonde hair fell over her face. He leaned over and lifted the strand, bending his head down some so he could look at her. "He was acting pretty jealous when I told him I was going out with you."

Luna smiled softly. "Really? I mean…really?"

"Really, really," he said and then laughed. "I'm in the same department as you, Luna sweetheart, for I adore Hermione."

Luna squealed as she clapped her hands. "Oh, I knew it! I just knew it!"

After that the two of them playfully schemed about the ball night, giggling over the idea of making Ron drool at the sight of her. "I'ma-telling you Haywey," she said as she pointed a finger at him. "IIII'm going to beeee the pweeetist one der!"

Harry chuckled as he got up to help her on her feet. "I don't doubt it, Luna," he said as he helped her with her cloak. "You'll have ole Ron eating out the palm of your hands."

"Huh?" she asked dazed as she looked up at him.

"Muggle saying." He winked. "It's a good thing, trust me."

Harry had to escort her home that evening, a task that took awhile since she had to stop and sing "Weasley is My King" for a chorus or two. Harry had to admit, she was a rather amusing drunk, but to top it off she was a great girl. In fact, if he wasn't into Hermione he'd might have a go at her, she was after all a cute girl. Not to mention she treated him completely normal, unlike most girls, the only one who did was Hermione. Even Ginny treated him somewhat differently.

Harry quietly went up the stairs, making sure to skip the seventh step because it always squeaked. Harry went down the hall and paused at Hermione's door, placing his ear against the door to see if he could hear in anything.

Silence.

Harry held his breath as he carefully opened her door and peaked his head through. His stomach dropped when he saw her bed still perfectly made and still untouched by Hermione's sleeping form. He shut his eyes as he closed her door placing his forehead against it as he cursed himself.

He was officially an idiot. Is brilliant plan wasn't so brilliant anymore. He drove her away into Ron's fucking bedroom. "Bloody hell," he muttered as he went straight to his room not even stopping to check Ron's room. He was too scared on what he would hear.

He pushed his door angrily open and his heart lodged in his throat. There was Hermione stretched out on his bed, with her arms folding over her chest, sending daggers at him. She was furious with him, that was obvious, but she was in his bedroom….not Ron's. That made him the happiest guy in the world.

"Well, isn't this a pleasant surprise," Harry said with a grin as he walked up to greet Daisy who was lying on the end of the bed. "Waiting up for me Hermione?"

"Don't think I don't know what you're doing," she said getting off his bed and walking to him.

"What am I doing?" he asked still grinning.

"Don't you smile at me like that mister." She poked him in the chest. "I see right through your little plan."

"My plan?"

"You're trying to make me jealous!" She poked at him again. "And it's not going to work."

"Please stop poking me," he said as his grin faltered and his eyes narrowed. "Starting to get a little agitating."

"Good," she said as she poked him again.

With his fast catching reflexes, his hand shot up and grabbed her wrist. "Do you want to do this?" he asked softly. "Do you really want to go there with me, because I can do that if you really want to."

"Let me go."

"Oh, I see." He kept his firm grip on her. "Now that you said what you had to say, you want to leave.

"I don't want to hear anything you have to say," Hermione said as she tried to pull away.

"Well that's just too bad," he said as he tugged her until she fell against his chest. He caught her with his other arm and pulled her close. "I happen to like Luna, Hermione, and I still needed a date for the ball."

Hermione looked away as she tried to pull away from his strong hold. "Please Harry…"

"Oh no, you started this so we're going to finish it." He let go of her wrist and cupped her face pulling her head around so she had no choice but to look at him. "The girl I want…the girl I wish I could take to the ball is already taken. I like Luna, Hermione, and I had a great time with her tonight, but she's not the one I want to hold and she's not the one I want to kiss."

Hermione's eyes filled with tears. "Harry," she whispered and then bent her head down, resting her forehead against his chest. "I don't know what to do."

Harry rubbed his lips in her hair. "I know you don't want to hurt Ron," he murmured as he held her close. "I don't either, but Hermione…you've got to figure things out. I need to either be with you or get on with my life." He pulled her away slowly and looked at her. "I'm not going to wait for you forever."

She let out a shaky breath as she stepped away, wiping the tears from her eyes. "I know, Harry. I…let's just get through the ball and see how things go, okay?"

Harry shoved his hands in his pockets. "Fair enough."

"I…I'm glad you had fun with Luna."

Harry smiled. "Yeah, she got a little carried away with the drinking. I had to make sure she got home okay."

"Always the gentlemen," she said with a smile.

He gave a little shrug as they walked to his door. "She's in the same boat as me, so…we clicked."

Hermione shook her head. "I don't understand."

"She wants to be with someone who seems to want to be with someone else."

"Who does she want to be with?"

"I think you know." Harry opened the door for her. "Good night, Hermione."

Hermione started to walk out of his room. "I, uh…good night, Harry." She then turned to Daisy who was still lying on Harry's bed. "Daisy, come on."

Daisy lifted her head tiredly then groaned as she rolled over on her side, telling her she wasn't going anywhere.

"Looks like she wants to sleep with you tonight," Hermione sighed shaking her head.

"Looks like," he said grinning brightly. It wasn't often that Daisy chose him over Hermione, so he cherished those moments every chance he could. "See you tomorrow, Hermione."

Once alone in the hallway, Hermione let out a frustrating sigh as she retreated to her bedroom. She had a feeling she wasn't going to get as much sleep as Harry, at least he had someone warm to snuggle with.

Because of her stupid stubborn self….she had no one.