Unofficial Portkey Archive

While You Were Sleeping by Harrys Mistress
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

While You Were Sleeping

Harrys Mistress

Chapter 3

Harry knew she was standing there. He had heard her walk down the stairs and quickly closed his eyes so she would think he was still asleep. It was childish, he knew, but he just didn't feel like seeing her face to face, especially with Hermione curled up beside him.

How long was she going to stare at them? It was difficult enough to keep a steady breath and a relaxed form when he was all tensed up inside. He was close to opening his eyes and telling her to leave when he finally heard her turn and walk out the door. He let out a deep breath and opened his eyes, then turned to Hermione who was still sleeping. He was glad she didn't decide to wake up when Ginny was there, that would have been awkward.

Harry figured Ginny was leaving to meet her family at the hospital wing to see Ron off, and although a part of him wanted to be there, he just didn't have the heart to wake up Hermione. Merlin knew this was the most she had slept in a long time, same as him. It was past three by the time they got back to the common room; Harry had dragged Hermione to the kitchens after they came back inside into the castle. She didn't go willingly at first, but Harry was persistent.

"Harry, I'm not hungry," Hermione said as she tugged at her wrist in which Harry had held captive with his hand. "I just want to go back to the common room."

"Hermione, a bird has eaten more than you these past few days," he said tickling the pear in the painting. "We're going into the kitchens to see if Dobby can make us both a sandwich."

"What are you going to do Harry? Shove the food down my throat?"

"If it comes to that," he said with a grin as he led her into the kitchen.

"Harry Potter!" Dobby said as he trotted to them. "He who has defeated You know…"

"Come now, Dobby, you can say his real name," Harry encouraged him. "He's gone now."

Dobby swallowed. "He who has defeated…V-V-Vol…"

"Go on Dobby," Hermione said. "You can do it."

"V-Vol-Voldemort!" Dobby then gasped placing his little hands over his mouth with his eyes wide. "I did it!"

"Good job, Dobby," Harry said with a grin. "First time is always the hardest."

Dobby was practically beaming. "What can I do for Harry Potter and Harry Potter's Mione?"

Harry grinned at Hermione. "Well, Dobby, my Mione needs some food. Can you help us?"

"Of course!" he said with urgency. "Sit, sit!"

Harry and Hermione let Dobby lead them to the table and once they sat down Dobby darted off. "I think I like that name," Harry said. "I might start calling you Mione now."

"Well, it's at least better than Hermy," she said with a laugh. "I can handle Mione."

"Promise me that you'll try and eat," he said placing a hand over hers. "You are getting too thin and I'm going to start worrying about you."

Hermione sighed as her small shoulders slumped. "I know I haven't been taking care of myself much, but everything that's been going on has been weighing on my mind. How can I sit and eat when Ron is lying helplessly in bed?"

"Maybe you can start by thinking how upset Ron would be if he knew what you were doing to yourself. Instead of feeling guilty that he pushed you out of the way, maybe you should start being grateful and pay Ron back by eating and taking care of yourself. It's not doing anybody any good."

Hermione led out a shaky breath. "You're right." She gave herself a firm nod. "I'll do better. I promise."

Harry patted her hand. "Good. You can start by eating your sandwich."

Two plates filled with grilled cheese and a bowl of tomato soup appeared in front of him, along with a glass of butterbeer. Hermione took a long whiff and her stomach grumbled with anticipation. "I guess I am hungry," she said scooping up a spoonful of her soup. "Mmm…this is delicious."

Harry took a bite of the sandwich. "This is good, too. Nothing like a late night snack."

"Nothing like," she agreed with a mouthful of food. "I don't think I'll have a problem clearing my plate."

"I'm sure you'll do Ron proud," Harry said with a chuckle. "That boy can eat."

Hermione giggled. "He would make me nauseous just watching him eat. How he never got fat is beyond me."

"Quidditch," Harry said with a wink. "It's good exercise."

"I'll say," she said wiggling her eyebrows. "You and Ron both have a pretty nice body."

Harry's spoon clattered in his bowl as he stared at her, causing her only to laugh harder. "I feel so exposed," he said crossing an arm across his chest, then grinned and laughed along with her. "On that note, might I say you have a pretty nice body as well."

Hermione choked on her butterbeer. "Harry, you surprise me," she chuckled. "I didn't think you even looked."

"Hey, I may be your best friend, but I do have eyes."

"Gee, glad you've noticed," she said picking up her sandwich and finishing it off. "Man, I ate every drop."

Harry finished off his butterbeer. "You sure needed it. Want desert?"

"Oh, I couldn't," she said placing a hand on her stomach. "I'm about to explode."

"Well, let's head back to the common room," he said standing up. "I want to talk to you about something. About what we're going to do next."

Hermione nodded. "All right. I know we can't stay here forever. Especially with Ron leaving in the morning."

"I know. Let's head out and go sit on the couch where it's more comfortable."

Ten minutes later they were sitting on the couch side by side with their legs stretched out and facing the fire. "What do you want to talk about?" she asked scooting closer to him and slipping her arm through his.

"Well…I was kind of thinking about buying a house," he said after awhile.

"A house?" she asked. "Where? When?"

"I wanted to buy a house for all three of us."

"The three of us?"

"Yeah," he said with a smile. "I want you to move in with me. There will be a third bedroom for Ron…when he wakes up. I thought it might be fun, living together after everything we've been through. So, what do you think?"

"Well," she said pondering it over. "I think you two would drive me barking mad and that I'd have to constantly pick up after the two of you. That's what I think."

Harry eyed her. "Er…is that a yes?"

Hermione laughed as she playfully nudged him. "Of course it's a yes!"

Harry let out a sigh of relief. "Great," he said with a smile. "Our next great adventure."

"I'll say," she said with a laugh. "When do we get started?"

"Well, I was thinking first maybe you could go to your parents, visit with them for awhile. Merlin knows they miss you. Meanwhile, I need to go to the Dursley's one last time, make sure I didn't leave anything that's mine. I might spend the night there, then maybe go stay at the Leaky Cauldron while I search for the house."

"Why not stay at the Burrow?" Hermione asked.

He sighed. "I don't know, Hermione, with Ron in a coma, I just don't know how to act around them. Furthermore, I don't want to be around Ginny right now, that's awkward and we need some space."

"I've always assumed you'd get back together with Ginny," Hermione said looking up at him. "Have you spoken to her?"

"Yeah, tonight actually," he said looking down at her. "Right before I came out to see you. She wants to get back together."

"Oh," she said looking over at the fire. "That's great, Harry. You deserve some normalcy in your life."

"But I don't."

Hermione huffed out a breath. "Now that's just silly, of course you deserve some normalcy. You've been through so much and…"

"No, you misunderstood," he said shaking his head. "I don't want to get back together with Ginny."

Hermione was shocked when she heard this. She had always thought that Harry would just pick up where he left off with Ginny. He always seemed so happy with her. "Why? I mean, have you told her this?"

"She kissed me last night," he said gazing into the fire. "It was the first time we've kissed in over a year and…I remember at the beginning of the year, when we started out on the search for the Horcruxes I would think about her and hoped that I would get a chance to kiss her again." He looked at her then and shook his head in confusion. "It was weird. When she kissed me it wasn't like I thought it would be. I had been avoiding her these last two weeks, I never knew why but when she kissed me it all made sense. Ginny was what I needed at the time we were together, but now everything is different."

"I'm sorry, Harry," she said placing her head on his shoulder. "How did she take it?"

"Horribly," he said leaning his head back on the couch. "I never wanted to hurt her."

"I know," Hermione said curling next to him and closed her eyes. "She'll be all right. Eventually."

"She deserves someone a lot better than me," Harry said with a soft laugh. "I'm a freakin' mess."

"No," she murmured as sleep began to overtake her. "No, you're just…Harry." She yawned as she snuggled closer to him, tucking her legs under her. "Just Harry."

Harry smiled softly at her sleeping form and then bent down to kiss her forehead. "Thank you," he murmured against her hair. "Good night. My Mione."

Harry smiled softly down at Hermione who was still sleeping soundly. Twenty-four hours ago he was worried about her. About both of them. It had always been the trio for so long it seemed wrong that they were down to two. After last night he was assured that no matter what happened they would be all right. Ron would wake up. Harry had no doubt in his mind. Until that day he had Hermione and Hermione had him. They would keep each other sane and go on with their lives a day at a time.

Harry sighed tiredly as he laid his head back against the couch, rubbing his eyes with his free hand under his glasses. He yawned as he pulled them off and then casually tossed them next to him before closing his eyes again. Since Hermione wasn't getting up anytime soon and he didn't want to move to wake her, he might as well try and rest his eyes.

The warmth of Hermione next to him and the soft hum of her breathing quickly lulled him to sleep.