Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** Don't you think Harry deserves a happy Christmas for a change? So do I :)

Thanks to some help I have links to the pics I offered to email http://www.imgdump.net/images/s2_e1fc9d72bcab3.jpg, http://www.imgdump.net/images/s2_e516622e7ec5b.jpg, http://www.imgdump.net/images/s2_2b94c8100af5b.jpg

Thanks Melissa :D ***

It was the last DADA class before Christmas holiday.
"Mr. Potter, would you please wait after class." Harry waited patiently, wondering what Professor Fig wanted to see him about.

"Harry, it's been a pleasure to have taught here at Hogwarts. If your aunt and uncle ever decide to leave you with me again, you must be sure and not act as though you want to. We don't want them suspecting that your stays will be much more pleasant from here on."

Harry didn't know what to say. It wasn't sinking in right away. Then it hit him.

"You're not leaving your teaching position are you?"

"I'm not at liberty to say. All I can really say is that there's an ill wind of change and you need to keep your eyes and ears open." Arabella looked disgusted as she gave Harry the cryptic warning but continued more pleasantly. "I'm sure you can handle it Harry. And give my regards to Hermione and Ron who I'm sure are waiting for you outside the classroom. Goodbye Harry and have a good holiday. I'm sure we'll bump into each other again."

"Wha-? Things just go from bad to worse, we usually only go through a Defense Against the Dark Arts instructor once a year. She didn't say why?"

"She made it sound as though she wasn't supposed to say anything. She didn't come right out and say she'd been sacked. You're not saying much Hermione."

"I wouldn't be surprised if the Ministry had a hand in it. I tend to agree with Ron, if my hunch about the Ministry turns out to be true things could get worse."

"Too much doom and gloom this close to Christmas. I wonder what Hagrid will do for the holidays?"

Ron laughed at Harry's question. "Speak 'o the devil, there's Hagrid dragging in a large fir tree for the Great Hall. Little early for that isn't it? Must be gettin' cold outside by the way he's bundled up." The three made their way over to Hagrid and asked.

"True, it's early to be bringin' this in but ah won't be here for the holidays." Hagrid unwound his large scarf and cast a look from side to side before saying in a low voice. "Ah got some personal business to attend to."

"Wouldn't have anything to do with Madam Maxime by chance?" asked Hermione raising an eyebrow and grinning, a grin that spread to Harry and Ron as well.

Hagrid looked perplexed and stuttered in reply. "Ah - no - can't say - 'xactly."

All packed, Harry shut his trunk glad for the upcoming break from studies. He chuckled to himself at the thought that Hermione might be disappointed. 'It's one thing to like to learn, but Hermione does tend to overdue it,' he thought.

Harry made his way to the Great Hall to find Hermione and Ron so they could ride the same carriage back to Hogsmeade station. Everyone was in high spirits in anticipation of Christmas and Harry was too. The thought of experiencing a family Christmas with the Weasleys made him smile inwardly.

Dumbledore made his usual announcement of wishing everyone a pleasant holiday plus making a corny joke about studying. It struck Harry that Dumbledore made an effort to avoid even looking at him. It seemed odd but Harry thought Dumbledore may have had a lot on his mind and dismissed it.

It was on the train ride back to King's Cross that Harry had a thought of inspiration on what to get his two best friends for Christmas. The idea of giving them each something really nice for Christmas was intoxicating, and made him feel giddy. 'Why not,' he told himself. 'I've got money, I can afford this. They're my best friends.' Harry wondered if this was what the Christmas spirit was all about, the joy of giving. He also knew it would take some planning in order to pull it off and be a complete surprise. All these thoughts were swirling around in his head and he had completely forgotten what the conversation was about.

"Oy, mate." Ron nudged Harry and he suddenly realized Hermione was talking to him.

"Now what do you suppose is on Harry's mind? You haven't answered a single question anyone's asked. You've been sitting there with a silly grin on your face. Ron had to practically elbow you to get your attention."

Harry realized he was the focus of attention but he couldn't keep from smiling broadly. Hermione, Ginny and Luna were sitting snuggly on the other side of the compartment across from himself and Ron. Neville was half in and half out looking like he wasn't sure whether to sit down or stand up.

"I was just thinking about Christmas," he said grinning even more. His unmanageable grin seemed to be contagious and soon everyone was smiling and chattering about their favorite parts of Christmas. From presents, they were hoping they might get, to favorite dishes and sweets on Christmas day - they talked away the time to Kings Cross. Anytime Harry was asked about Christmas memories, he could only draw upon his Christmases spent at Hogwarts. Harry's answers were always short, and he would immediately take interest in what someone else had said earlier. It was as though he hadn't lived a life until he went to Hogwarts. Neville had already made an exit, looking uncomfortable. All his Christmas memories involved his Gran.

"I remember once, when I was about four years old, daddy dressed up like Father Christmas and gave me a See-N-Spell book. I was so thrilled." Hermione smiled remembering the moment.

"See-N-Spell book?"

"Oh, sorry. Muggle device, when you push the buttons it sounds out the letters." Hermione made a motion like she was pushing a button and said in a robotic voice, "Cow, C - O - W, moooo", everyone laughed.

"A book? Four years old, and a book? That explains a lot," said Ron teasingly.

Hermione frowned at him as Luna asked Harry the question that had been going round the compartment.

"What's your best childhood memory of Christmas Harry?"

"Waking up at Hogwarts Christmas morning and finding out I actually had presents."

"But you already said that. What about when you were very little?" asked Luna curiously. Her eyes, perpetually looking surprised, were kind and meant no harm. Harry had no other answer to give and looked briefly at the floor. As he did, Hermione, Ron and Ginny looked at each other and picked up the conversation with a flurry covering for Harry. Harry was grateful for his friends and felt sympathy for Neville at the same time. Harry knew why he had left the compartment earlier, making up an excuse to look for his toad Trevor. Neville wanted to avoid any questions about his parents who were permanent residents of St. Mungo's. Still, Neville had pleasant memories of his childhood with his Gran and other family. At least he was loved, and not treated like something detestable.

Harry had been trying to formulate how he could get to Diagon Alley, do his shopping, and get back unseen. He took another sip of his hot spiced pumpkin juice, Mrs. Weasley had made a big batch, it was delicious. Even though he was sitting across the kitchen table from Ron listening to him expound upon the various features and shortcomings of the latest Cleansweep broom, Harry was contemplating various solutions to his problem. Finally he decided, 'There's nothing else for it. It's the only way'. Harry excused himself, telling Ron he would be right back. Deftly Harry swept upstairs and slipped into the twin's room. He figured they would be working on more inventions for their planned joke shop and he was right.

"What's up Harry?" asked George looking up from a table full of various ingredients.

"Yeah, you don't slip into a room like a cat without something on your mind," said Fred turning with a raised eyebrow.

"I need to do some Christmas shopping."

"Ah, so you'd like to slip off to Diagon Alley unbeknown to anyone that you've left?"

"Maybe without the knowledge of a certain ickle brother of ours?" Fred and George went into an overly animated, but entertaining sales pitch as they pushed back colored bottles, trays of powders, and beakers of bubbling liquids.

"Well, you've come to the right place young man. We've just added a new item to our Skiving Snackboxes called the 'Pale Pill'. Take this little beauty and for a full hour you'll look as pale as a sheet."

"Complete with clammy skin and no other ill side effect. Or you can cut short the effect by taking a bite of ordinary chocolate."

"Er, okay. So I would look like I felt bad but how would that get me out of the house."

"Tut tut Harry. You remember how mum pampered you this past August right after you and Ron saved Hermione. Mum would have you off to bed in a flash. Fred and I could distract her while you made your way out invisibly by Floo."

"Yeah, that could work." Harry thought how he would step out into the Leaky Cauldron with his invisibility cloak and change into a regular hooded cloak in the public bathroom. From there he could make his way to Gringotts and then to a particular shop he had in mind. The reverse order for leaving the Leaky Cauldron was simple enough but…. "What about the return trip? You'd have to know when I was coming back in order to cover for me."

"Quite true, would one hour be enough time? I doubt mum would let you by much past an hour without checking on you anyway." George agreed with Fred.

"An hour's tight but doable. An hour it is." Harry took the 'Pale Pill" and headed back to the kitchen.

"My word, Harry do you feel alright? You're as white as a glass of milk."

"I ah, feel fine," Harry said truthfully.

Mrs. Weasley swooped in and felt his forehead. "Good grief, clammy too. Go upstairs and get some rest. Ron, you and Ginny let him be for at least an hour. We'll check on you later then, off you go."

Harry felt a tiny pang of regret seeing the concern on Mrs. Weasley's face, but this was the only way he would be able to pull this off without Ron knowing. It was all going well as Harry stood in front of the fireplace with his invisibility cloak on. Fred and George had managed to round up everyone in the kitchen to see a demonstration of their improved Exploding Snap. George paused just outside the kitchen and looked toward the fireplace. Harry pulled the hood down and waved. George nodded as Harry took a pinch of Floo Powder and listened for the moment to toss it in and say 'Diagon Alley'.

"What is it now? I don't think there's a need for any improvements on Exploding Snap," complained Mrs. Weasley.

"It'll only take a sec mum. Come on Fred, help me shuffle these."

Harry heard several clicks followed by a simultaneous "Ooops" from the twins, a rustle of chairs and an incomplete swear word from Ron. Ginny squealed as Mrs. Weasley started to say, "That's not going to -" and was cut off by a boom.

Harry smirked under his invisibility cloak as he tossed in the floo powder and called out his destination. He was sure the twins enjoyed doing that.

It had turned cold and was snowing lightly. Having the hood up on his cloak only made sense as Harry quickened his pace. He only had forty-five minutes to left to do his bit of Christmas shopping. A music player in a display window caught his eye. A family gift for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, they only had one and it was worn and tattered looking. The different tastes in music were a constant struggle in the house. Surely one more would be welcome. A nicely grained mahogany box tastefully trimmed in silver with a burgundy velvet interior. He also decided to get a useful canister of Floo powder. Harry expected quite a bit of Floo travel between the Burrow and the Grangers once they got back from seeing family the week before Christmas. Harry lowered his hood to look over the music players and after picking one out went up to the clerk who had been staring dreamily out the store window at the falling snow.

A witch in her late twenties with short dark hair surveyed the music player next to the Floo powder on the counter without looking up. She had a round face with freckles and pale blue eyes that accented a smile that seemed to take up her whole face.

"Oh, this one's beautiful. I hope to get a player myself soon."

"For Christmas?" Harry asked.

"No, mum and dad are elderly and don't make much money, I try to send home the extra I make." She lifted the lid on the music player admiring the inside. "I should have enough extra in a couple of months." She smiled as she closed the lid on the music player, but she was startled as she looked at Harry for the first time.

"Are you alright sir?"

"Er, yes. Why do you ask?"

"You're as white as candle wax. Are you ill?"

Harry felt like a fool. He had forgot to get some chocolate to counteract the 'pale pill'.

"I'm fine really. Just a bit of chocolate will fix me up I'm sure." Harry started looking at the counter behind her intent on buying some chocolate but the clerk had already slid a piece toward him.

"Here I've got some."

"Um, thanks," said Harry tossing it in his mouth. "Just a sec, I think I want another music player." Harry went back, picked up a modest looking player, and put it on the counter and paid her the total.

"Thank goodness. You look much better. Amazing how a little bit of chocolate seemed to fix you up." The all-encompassing smile returned to the clerks face as she asked, "Would you like these gift wrapped?" She pulled out a wand and summoned five different rolls of wrapping paper, all floating in mid air for Harry to choose from. Harry chose one with Christmas trees adorned with burning candles, a touch of magic had made the flames of the candles move on the wrapping paper.

"You can wrap these two."

A flick of her wrist and the wrapping paper molded itself neatly around the two items Harry had indicated.

"Don't you want this one wrapped as well?" She pointed to the remaining music player.

"You can if you want - Merry Christmas." Harry winked.
"What? Oh my gosh! Why thank you!" Her already large smile got bigger yet. "I can't believe it. Thank you again. What is your name?"

"Harry. Harry Potter"

Her pale blue eyes got big as she glanced at Harry's forehead spying the lightning shaped scar under the bangs of Harry's hair.

"You really are Harry Potter. I don't know what to say. You're not at all the person the Daily Prophet's been describing. You're really nice." She suddenly realized what she had said and blushed.

"The Daily Prophet has been saying stuff about me? I haven't really been paying much attention."

"It's nothing really. I - well - it's not true anyway - obviously."

Harry looked at his watch.
"Blimey, I've got to go. Merry Christmas," Harry said scooting out the door with his two presents. He heard a fading "Thank you" from behind as he put up his hood and headed toward his next destination.

Sure enough, the front window of the shop was crowded around by kids of all ages ogling at what was on display on the other side of the glass. Harry made his way in and was greeted by a man with thinning hair.

"Can I help you?"

"Have any of those left?" Harry jerked his head at the display window.

"Ah yes, latest model. I've got two dozen left. How many would you like?" he asked a gleam in his eye.

"Just two," Harry replied removing his hood. And as he did so the dampness of the melting snow on his hood pulled some of the hair up off his forehead.

"Well now, Mr. Potter, a pleasure to meet you. I'm the storeowner, Samuel Gibbons. I'm an avid Quidditch fan and I've heard rumors about your ability, Victor Krum mentioned your promising ability in an interview this past summer."

"He did?" Harry said surprised.

"He did indeed, and despite what other things have been said about you anyone with Quidditch playing ability such as yours has to be admired." Mr. Gibbons paused rolling something over in his mind. "Would you be interested in next year's model?"
"Next year's?"

"Yes, I've got three of next year's model. They send them out to me for promotion purposes, but the dang fools have no concept of marketing. I can't put next year's model on display while I still have two dozen of this year's model still in stock. The customer's won't buy this year's model. They'll wait until next year's is available after seeing the new one. But I think I could sell you two of the three promos I've got, provided you don't go parading them around till after Christmas. I assume they're going to be gifts since I've heard you have a Firebolt." Mr. Gibbon's grinned at Harry and motioned him to the back of the store.

The sale was made in the back of the store, well out of site of any other patrons and Harry was off with a quickened pace until he realized he still had fifteen minutes. He couldn't show up late or early to the Burrow. He looked at the nearby shops and spied the Magical Menagerie. A short look around would take up a few minutes.

"Fine looking animal isn't he?" said a wizard who had come up next to Harry.

"Yes, unusual dark markings though, and large."

"It's a great horned owl and they are a rather large species, good for carrying heavy parcels. As for the dark markings it's because he has a touch of melanism, that's the opposite of albino, all white."

"I've heard of an animal being albino or all white but not black, and not partially of either."

"It's actually more common to find partial albinism than to find a full albino, but melanic is more uncommon. A pure melanic is extremely rare. It's too bad I may not be able to sell this one. People tend to believe an animal with dark markings like this is bad luck - complete nonsense."

Harry looked the owl over. It was a noble looking bird, with dark markings and dark amber eyes, almost brown. Harry looked at his watch.

Harry lurched forward from the Weasley's fireplace barely managing to keep his balance with all the gifts. He was sure he would have lost a few, somewhere in the Floo network, if the last sales clerk hadn't cast a spell tying them all together. The sound of singing from the kitchen was a surprise as Harry scanned the room and then made his way awkwardly upstairs. It was one thing to be under an invisibility cloak, it was entirely a different matter with a bunch of packages. After stowing everything away in his trunk, he made his way back down to the kitchen. To his amazement, the twins and Ginny were singing carols for their mother while Ron was showering tiny white stars over them with his wand that bounced gently to the floor and disappeared. Fred and George and rich tenor voices, but Ginny, Ginny could sing - he had no idea. It was charming really, and Mrs. Weasley looked pleased and even more when she spied Harry.

"Why Harry, there you are. Did we wake you? I must say you look so much better."

Two days before Christmas and Harry could feel the anticipation building much like the snow starting to accumulate on the ground outside. He couldn't wait to see the look on his two friends faces. It made him smile every time he thought about it.

Mr. & Mrs. Weasley had invited the Grangers over for Christmas dinner and they had accepted but do to Mrs. Granger's condition they were going to drive over right after opening presents Christmas morning. Hermione however, was going to avoid the drive and would come by Floo instead. Charlie was already in from Romania but would be heading back the day after Christmas. Bill was going to bring a young lady friend for Christmas dinner but Mrs. Weasley wasn't fooling anyone. They all knew it would likely be Fleur. Harry had already teased Ron about a possible sister-in-law and had watched how his ears had turned pink. But the subject of Percy was strictly avoided for fear of putting Mrs. Weasley in tears. It seemed that Percy had cut off all family ties after he and his dad had a major row.

Hermione was supposed to be coming over by Floo anytime and some outside fun in the snow would ensue shortly thereafter. Harry was just thinking how he and Hermione might tease Ron a bit more about Fleur. She did have a younger sister, after all, and give eight or nine years - who knows? Harry had an evil grin thinking about the potential teasing just as an owl came in for Ron.

Ron looked at the letter and became very still, his mouth slightly open.

"What's up mate?" Harry asked.

"Yeah, what's the matter little bro'?" asked Fred as George snatched the letter.

"Prefect?" said George incredulously. "But Carl Easton is already Prefect." Fred was looking over the letter as well.

"Not anymore. Says Carl Easton is leaving, moving away with his parents to Spain."

A lot of speculation erupted from the twins as to why Harry hadn't been picked in the first place instead of Carl Easton and then to pick Ron over Harry was baffling to them. Ron just stood there in a stupor, not saying a word, holding the envelope limply. Something gold and scarlet fell our onto the floor. Ron just looked at it disbelievingly not making any effort to pick it up.

Harry bent over and picked it up for him. It was a Prefect badge with a large P superimposed on the Gryffindor lion. The door opened and Hermione spotted the badge in Harry's hand and let out a shriek.

"I knew it! I heard Carl Easton was leaving and they would of course pick someone else," she said excitedly.

"No," said Harry quickly, pushing the badge into Ron's hand. "It's Ron, not me."

"I . . . said Hermione. "I . . . well . . . wow! That's really -"

"Unexpected," said George, nodding.

Suddenly Harry wasn't sure how he felt. He had always been one up on Ron in almost everything they did, but now he had been made Prefect over him. He hadn't given it a thought when neither of them had been made Prefect. He wanted to feel happy for his friend and pushed his mixed feelings aside.

"Come on mate, let's go tell you're mum." Harry put on a smile. plucked the letter from George's hands and started dragging a dazed Ron to find his mum. The twins and Hermione followed. They bumped into Ginny in the hallway.

"What's going on?"

"You won't believe it," said Fred.

"Ickle Ronnie the Prefect," said George thumbing toward Ron.

"What?"

In the middle of telling Mrs. Weasley and Charlie that Ron had just been made Prefect Mr. Weasley apparated home from work. They were both delighted and Mr. Weasley commented that it was like getting an early Christmas present. Then it happened, the thing that put Harry's Christmas plan in jeopardy.

"Well, what will it be? You deserve a reward above and beyond a Christmas present. You've already got an owl, and some new dress robes."

"Maybe a broom? A Cleansweep? They're not terribly expensive, not like a Nimbus."

"Of course you can . . . Only two days before Christmas, there's still enough time."

Harry was mortified. They couldn't, not now.

Much later that night Harry decided to take a chance. He had to talk to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, alone. The opportunity presented itself when Harry found them both in the kitchen while Charlie was entertaining everyone else in the living room with his latest dragon experiences. There were hushed voices as Harry walked into the kitchen, that ended abruptly as they saw Harry.

"Hello Harry, it's getting late isn't it. Charlie should probably let everyone get some sleep."

"Would you like a glass of warm milk dear?"

"Ah, no. Could I talk to you both in private?"

"Of course Harry, what's on your mind?"

"Is anything wrong? asked Mrs. Weasley.

Harry pulled out his wand and cast a concealment spell on the room. Several minutes later the spell was retracted.

"I'm glad you let us know Harry. I hardly know what else to say."

"It'll all be just fine, you'll see. We'll tell him his broom will be delivered by owl sometime late Christmas Eve so he may as well wait 'till Christmas morning. We'll get him some new school robes instead. Such a wonderful thing to do Harry, I just wish we could give you something in return."

"You already have. Ron's my best friend."

Mrs. Weasley squeezed him and kissed his cheek. Mr. Weasley patted him on the shoulder.

Christmas Eve and all through the house not much was stirring except for Harry's thoughts. Thoughts of tomorrow morning were keeping him awake while Ron snored across the room. But sleep was starting to make his mind drift as the words 'Ron's my best friend' echoed softly in his head followed by 'But Hermione is the love of my life'. His breath caught and he opened his eyes wide.

'Where did that come from?,' he thought. 'I have some feelings for her, yes. But she's still my best friend.' A tiny voice in his head replied sarcastically, 'But you haven't kissed Ron . . . Threeee times. '

'Well, yes . . . we did . . . but does she really love me, or do I really love her, or is it just the 'Breath of Life?' It was all very confusing and Harry shifted uncomfortably before finally falling asleep.

Harry wasn't sure what had woke him, but his eyes popped open, and he lay there staring at the ceiling. Finally he decided it was indeed Christmas morning and it looked like it may have snowed even more during the night judging by the fluff of snow around the windowpanes. Harry through back the covers, cool air washing over his pajamas. He quickly sat up, swiveling to sit on the edge of his bed only to find Ron had already put wool socks on his bare feet. Ron grinned broadly at Harry.

"Thought you were going to sleep all day mate. It's Christmas ya know."

"Weren't you going to wake me?" Harry asked giving a mock frown as he hurriedly put on socks of his own bare feet.

"Sure I was - on my way out the door." Ron laughed sprinting toward the bedroom door in his pajamas. Harry tackled him from behind to make sure Ron didn't get ahead of him. They both laughed all the way down stairs in the commotion of trying to get ahead of the other only to find they were the last two up.

It was a picture perfect Christmas morning, all the Weasley's were gathered around a breathtakingly beautiful tree adorned with shiny tinsel, fancy ornaments and (no heat) flickering candles. Colorful wrapped packages were scattered underneath the tree. Mr. Weasley and Charlie were sipping coffee and nibbling on chocolate. Harry was informed by the twins that they were about to use summoning spells on Ron and himself but their mother wouldn't let them - in case either of them might not be decent. George said if it had been just Ron they would have done it anyway, decent or not.

Joyful sounds of wrapping paper being torn, laugher, friendly jibes, comments of surprise, compliments, and thank you were abundant.

"I know what we need," Mrs. Weasley said with a flourish. "We need some music. Ginny do you have the music player?"

"I thought Fred and George had it last," replied Ginny. But before the finger pointing could begin or before Mrs. Weasley resorted to a summoning spell. Harry came forward with a couple of packages in his hands.

"Maybe this could help." He handed Mr. Weasley the round one and Mrs. Weasley the rectangular one.

"Floo powder, why thank you Harry. Don't ever seem to have enough of this, but how -" He was cut off as Mrs. Weasley exclaimed.

"My word! Arthur, would you look at this." She held out the beautiful music player Harry had gotten them. But before Mr. and Mrs. Weasley could make over the gift further Harry heard Ron exclaim.

"This is it. It has to bee." The mental picture of a hungry dog salivating over a juicy steak came to mind has Harry tuned to see Ron looking over a broom shaped package.

"Do you suppose that's a broom Ronniekins?" teased Fred.

"Or maybe a large candy cane judging by the way he's a about to drool over it."

"Go ahead Ron, open it." Harry encouraged trying not to sound to anxious himself.

A flurry of wrapping paper was followed by a confused look on Ron's face.

"This isn't a Cleansweep it's a -" Ron paused and croaked, "Nimbus" followed by a squeak, "Two Thousand Seven?" He turned and looked at his parents who shook their heads. Mr. Weasley pointed at Harry while Mrs. Weasley explained.

"Harry got you the boom Ron. After he explained that he had already got you a broom for Christmas, we got you some new school robes instead."

Ron ogled his parents, looked at the broom in disbelief, looked at Harry who nodded in the affirmative and repeated the process once more before he leaped to his feet and yelled something unintelligible. He gave Harry a bear hug while still holding onto his new broom.

"I can't believe it! How in Merlin's name did you? - When? - A two thousand seven?" Ron shook his head and looked over his new broom in amazement.

"Good point there. How did you manage a two thousand seven? They're not even out yet," asked Fred.

"For once in my life, my name helped me out. Plus the fact that the store owner was a Quidditch fanatic."

Of course, Harry got a Weasley sweater with an H on it. He promptly put it on over his pajama shirt, an act that pleased Mrs. Weasley. Ginny gift was a cloak that she had made herself. It was a very soft material that changed color from an overall jet black to a fuzzy gray depending on how the light hit it. It even had the initials HP, in what looked like silver thread, in small letters just on the inside hem. The twins had given him more samples of their upcoming products, along with an instructions on their uses. He decided to look it over in private and gingerly tucked it away so Mrs. Weasley wouldn't see it. Ron got him a box full of chocolate frogs that Harry had every intention of sharing with Ron.

With most of the commotion of gifts being opened over with, Mrs. Weasley had a light breakfast ready. She wanted everyone to have a healthy appetite for dinner. And to Harry it looked like she was going all out. He could smell the mouth-watering aroma of ham and turkey cooking, along with a mixture of things sweet and tangy drifting in the warm kitchen air. The kitchen was full of various foods in different stages of being prepared. Harry wondered how she managed to keep track of it all. Harry found it humorous that Mrs. Weasley spent part of breakfast fending her dinner preparations from grazing family members.

"Fred, George, get away from that. I want some left for dinner."

"Ron, Ginny, get out of the olives."

"Arthur, that's the third time you've checked on the turkey. It's cooking just fine. The more you check the longer it will take to cook."
"Charlie dear, would you like to sample the gravy. I think it might need a touch more salt."

"Mmmm, it's perfect mum."

A chorus of voices called out wanting to check as well. Mrs. Weasley told them one was enough and that Charlie hadn't been home for a while. It was all very good-natured teasing that followed, the twins accused Charlie of always being the favored son, while the rest wanted to know where they rated.

"I can't let all of you have a taste - there'd be none left for dinner," complained Mrs. Weasley eyeing everyone defensively, still smiling.

A dong echoed through the house.

"Do you suppose that's Hermione? Would someone check?" asked Mrs. Weasley opening a steaming pot.

Harry, Ron, and Ginny didn't have to be told twice. And sure enough, the wavy image of Hermione holding packages appeared in the fireplace. Ginny tapped the left side of the fireplace with her wand and the fireplace burst into green flame as Hermione stepped through a little off balance clutching at sliding packages. Ron and Ginny reached out and caught a package apiece before Hermione lost her grip on them. Harry steadied her by the shoulder as their eyes met briefly.

"Thanks Harry," and then reluctantly turning her attention she quickly thanked Ron and Ginny.

"Nice sweaters," she said looking each one of them up and down - sweaters over pajamas.

Harry grinned while Ron and Ginny looked sheepish.

"No, I mean it. They really do look nice, and Ron you can trade with Ginny. You have each other's present. Go ahead, open them," she said smiling.

"This one's for you Harry." She handed him a rectangular present that had been wrapped with care.

To Harry's surprise it was a music player, much like the one he had given Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. It was dark blue velvet trimmed in silver; he opened to see the familiar round indention that made a music player look like a coin display case. However, there was a small note that said.

With the lid open, say my name, and look inside the lid

Harry kept the lid open and said, "Thank you Hermione." Silver writing appeared -

To Harry from Hermione

May you always 'Call My Name'

- and faded slowly away. Harry gave Hermione his best smile.

"Oh, it seems warm in here," Hermione said fanning herself with her hand.

"Must be from Mum doing so much cooking in the kitchen. Didn't really seem terrible warm though." Ron pulled at his sweater and shrugged.

Hermione opened several presents as Harry waited to give his last. Ron looked at the shape.

"Is that? - another?" Ron choked.

Harry only winked as Ron let out.

"Blimey Harry."

"Shhhh, don't tell me Ron," Hermione shushed him as she continued to unwrap and reveal the dark wood grain of a broom handle. The rest of wrapping paper fell away revealing the rest.

"It's a . . ."

"Broom!" Ron finished for her. "And not just any old broom. It's exactly like - mine!" Ron put out his next to Hermione's and expounded on all the features of a Nimbus class broom in a rapid flurry of superlatives.

"It's wonderful Harry." Hermione hugged him tight. And ever so briefly, Harry felt the urge to kiss her but quickly thought better of it than to kiss her in front of everyone.

The fireplace burst into green flame and Bill stepped out and Ginny squealed.

"Bill!" Ginny ran and hugged her oldest brother.

"Ginny, good to see you short stuff," said Bill as he hugged her and then held her at arms length. "Let me look at you. Yep, you're definitely growing up. - is something wrong?"

"No, nothing's wrong."

"Hello, Harry, Hermione, Ron. New brooms? Nice. I'd be willing to trade you mine, even up, Ron," said Bill admiring Ron's new broom. Ron clutched it tight.

"Over my dead body," Ron said grinning. Bill laughed.

"Don't blame you. I didn't know there were any two thousand sevens out."

"I heard Fleur was coming," Hermione asked inquisitively.

"She decided to go to France at the last minute and spend Christmas with her family. Maybe next year Bill said slyly."

The rest of the family made it out to greet Bill, but during the commotion, Fred and George cornered Harry.

"Harry, you may not have meant to do this but did you realize you didn't get Ginny a Christmas gift?"

"Especially after you got Ron and Hermione those nice brooms. I think her feelings might be hurt mate. You know she does fancy you even if you don't feel the same way."

"I completely forgot in all the excitement."

"Forgot? Not good mate. She'll be crushed."

"No, I mean it's not here."

"Oh, you mean you got one but it's not here. Can you go get it?"

"No, I mean it's not here yet." Harry glanced at his wristwatch. "Actually, it should be getting here anytime."

Hermione knocked on Ginny's door.

"Ginny?"

"I'm not feeling well."

"Ginny, Harry didn't forget you . . . Ginny?" The door opened and it was obvious that Ginny had been crying.

"I heard him tell Fred and George that it's on its way. Whatever that means." Hermione continued but her voice shook slightly and her eyes brightened. "He saved my life too - doesn't - doesn't that makes us like sisters in some respect?"

Ginny burst into tears and embraced Hermione. Hermione held Ginny, tears rolling down her own cheeks.

"Ah, Ginny. You've got an owl from someone. It's down in the living room." Ron looked perplexed and confused at the two girls. "I'm glad you two have got, whatever, worked out."

"Ron, sometimes you are so, so . . . insensitive." Hermione shot back at him through teary eyes.

Still confused Ron raised an eyebrow and left. The two girls fixed each other up so that no one could tell that either had been crying and went down to see who Ginny had got an owl from.

Perched on the fireplace mantle was a large owl that held out it's leg when Ginny drew near. She untied the parchment and read:

Merry Christmas

Ginny

From Harry

"Is this for me?" She wheeled around in disbelief looking for Harry. "The owl?"

"If you want him. I understand some people might think he was bad luck."

The large owl had tucked its head down and closed its eyes as though waiting for rejection.

"Ohhhh, I think he's beautiful!" Ginny said delightedly.

The owl perked up and looked at Ginny with grateful dark amber eyes that were almost brown.

"He seems to have an almost regal look." The owl straightened to it's full height as Ginny approached. "Would you like to be my owl?" The owl gave an affectionate hoot and dipped its head as Ginny reached out to stroke its feathers. "A name, you've got to have a name. How about Montahue, Hue for short." The owl stretched out it's large wings and gave another hoot.

"Looks like it's a done deal Ginny. Although I think I should have named him since you named mine. And maybe we should make sure they can get along." Ron called out for Pigwidgeon and a tiny ball of fluff hurtled down from upstairs circling the living room in excitement. "Same old Pig," muttered Ron.

Hue looked annoyed at first but Pig finally lit beside Hue. Harry thought the two birds made quite a contrast side by side, one large, one small. Hue seemed to accepted the hyperactive little owl for the way he was. With acceptance made, Pig zoomed around the living room with renewed vigor as Ron tried to get him to return back upstairs.

Harry suddenly found himself in a tight hug from Ginny and jokingly stuck out his tongue as though he were being squeezed to death.

"Thank you Harry."

Ron had managed to get Pig back to the perch in his room and returned enthusiastically held up his new broom. "Let's fly!" The suggestion was met with unanimous approval but Hermione pointed out that no one but herself was dressed for going outside, seeing as everyone was still in their pajamas.

A rapid accent upstairs was followed by an equally rapid decent and exit to the snowy outdoors. Mrs. Weasley had offered to let Ginny fly her own broom. The twins, Ron, Ginny, Harry and Hermione were all flying about, throwing snowballs and having a lot of fun. Even Hermione, who was not very skilled at flying, was having fun. At one point of playing follow the leader from in and out of the snow covered trees Hermione lost control of her broom but Harry had seen what was about to happen and made a controlled tumble in the snow. After spitting snow, they both laughed.

"This is fun Harry. But why did you get me a broom? Especially such a nice one. You know I'm no good at flying."

"Why not? Every self-respecting witch should have a broom." And Harry gave his best smile.

Hermione looked into his emerald green eyes as they lay there, still partially covered in snow from the tumble, their breath clearly seen in the cold air.

"I never properly thanked you for my Christmas gift." She leaned closer to him.

"I haven't properly thanked you for the music player either, Hermione." Harry leaned closer to her, his face mere inches from hers. He thought how beautiful she looked, rosy cheeks from the cold air, bits of snow in her curly hair and dark brown inviting eyes. They both leaned closer.

"Oy! What'd you two do? Crash?" came Ron's voice from high above the trees.

"Looks like it," snickered Fred and George.

"You alright Harry?" asked Ginny, her voice high overhead as well.

Hermione gave an exasperated sigh and rolled her eyes before answering.

"It was me. I lost control and Harry saved me from a rough tumble."

Harry and Hermione got up, brushed off the snow, and took to the air again before George yelled.

"Car!"

Everyone automatically dropped to treetop level.

"It's my parents! Come on!"

Six teenagers came swooping in on brooms toward the Grangers trudging their way toward the Burrow. Wide-eyed Mr. and Mrs. Granger looked them over as they all dismounted.

"Hermione! You've been flying on a broom?"

"Yes! - but I'm not very good at it." She told her mum.

"Who's broom?"

"Mine!" she said grinning broadly and waving her broom. "Harry got it for me for Christmas."

"Me too!" exclaimed Ron brandishing his new broom.

"No self-respecting witch should be without a broom - right pumpkin?" quipped Mr. Granger.

"Harry said the same thing," laughed Hermione.

"Could you give us a hand bringing things in?" Mrs. Granger asked her daughter.

"Can I do magic?" she asked pleadingly.

Mrs. Granger looked about the place. Hermione had her wand out along with the rest of the group.

"I suppose so, considering where we're at."

Hermione went to work with her wand, opening the car door, and hovered some items out of the back seat.

The trunk popped open as a spare tire and car jack started to levitate out.

"I've got it all Fred, George. You can put those back. And why do you have your wand out Harry? You're not supposed to do magic outside the presence of your guardian or outside the school." Then in a lower voice, "He's not here is he?"

"No," Harry said sadly. "He's the only missing part of an otherwise perfect Christmas."

Dinner was heavenly; Harry complimented Mrs. Weasley that the Hogwarts house-elves couldn't do better. Ron told Harry he sure knew how to butter up his mum. Harry also noticed that Mrs. Granger was wearing a maternity top and appeared to be showing a bit.
"Hermione, when is your mum due?" asked Harry.

"March. I'm really excited about it."

After dinner and after getting past the feeling of having eaten too much the house was full of conversation and laughter. At one point Harry overheard Mrs. Weasley ask if the Grangers had any trouble getting to the Burrow with all the snow on the ground. Mrs. Granger replied that their new tires didn't spin at all and that it was quite amazing. Harry also overheard Mr. Weasley and Mr. Granger speaking in hushed tones immediately after.

"Thanks for the help with the tires Arthur."

"You're welcome. I really should take the traction spell off at some point."

"No hurry my good man. No hurry"

Finally Arthur mad an announcement.

"Everyone listen up. We're packing up the house. It may be sometime before we come back to the Burrow, so pack it all except the furniture. At least where we're going has furniture even if it does need cleaning."

"Everything?"

"Where are we going?"

"Why does it need cleaning?"

"Tut tut, no questions, I can't give you any answers. I have a special house-packing trunk that we can put our personal trunks and possessions into. I promise it will all fit. And the Grangers have graciously offered to drop off our house trunk at a specified spot, in a London alley-way, at a particular time. After we're packed be ready to travel and dressed muggle style." Mr. Weasley winked at the Grangers as he said 'muggle style'.

"I can say this much. Harry you should soon be seeing your Godfather. Now, everyone ready with wands." Mr. Weasley coughed and looked at the ceiling after glancing at Harry with his wand out. Hermione noticed too and frowned.

The Grangers sat utterly amazed at all the flying items zipping around the house piling up by themselves next to a very large trunk Mr. Weasley had levitated into the middle of the living room. It looked as big as a thick king-size bed folded over on its side. Mr. Weasley casually moved everything into the oversized trunk with his wand. It didn't look as though it could possibly all fit, but fit it did. Once everything was in, and everyone was bundled up to travel, Mr. Weasley looked everyone over.

"Have we got everything? Eh, hold on. Ron, son, put your broom in the trunk. There'll be no flying where we're going, sorry."

Ron let out a groan as Ginny said, "Told you."

Mr. Weasley closed and locked the huge trunk with a wave of his wand after Ron's broom was whisked inside. He was apparently looking for something near the latches as Mrs. Weasley helped out.

"It's the second one from the bottom Arthur, two taps."

"Oh, yes, right dear, thanks." He tapped the latch and the huge trunk shrank to the size of a small suitcase. The Grangers ogled at the site.

"David, would you be so kind as to test the weight. I want to make sure it's not too heavy."
"Amazing, feels as though it's empty. Thought it would weigh over a ton and I wouldn't be able to lift it off the floor.

While Mr. Granger was testing the weight of the house-trunk Ginny asked Hermione why her parents were taking it.

"I overheard my parents talking about it. Your dad thought it would be conspicuous if we were seen carrying a house-trunk. Mum and dad are going to let me spend the rest of the holidays with all of you, wherever we're going. Mum and dad said they were being put up at a nice downtown London hotel this evening for their trouble. Oh, I better go give mum and dad a hug before they go."

Harry looked at Charlie and Bill.

"You two are going with us?"

"Yes, we have some business to attend to," said Charlie.

"At headquarters," added Bill.

"Headquarters?"

Mrs. Weasley shushed Bill and Charlie from saying anything more.

Mr. and Mrs. Granger left and Mr. Weasley got everyone's attention once more.

"Alright, I have an address on this piece of parchment. Fred, George, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Ginny, I want you to look at it and memorize it."

The narrow handwriting was vaguely familiar. It said:

The headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix may be found at number twelve, Grimmauld Place, London.

Mr. Weasley tossed the parchment in the fireplace and set it on fire. He tossed Floo powder in after it as green flame leaped up.

"When we get within a block of our destination we will go there in groups of two or three. Right, we're off then."

Harry figured it was his imagination but London felt colder than it had back at the Burrow and pulled his scarf tighter. It was just himself and Arthur that were left to go down the block and into number twelve Grimmauld Place.

"Wotcher, Arthur, Harry. Sorry, didn't mean to scare ya. It's me, Tonks."

"You gave me a start Tonks. The rest are already inside."

"Good, I'll go with you two then."

Tonks was disguised as someone plain looking, long straight hair with strands of grey, pale complexion. Harry found her voice familiar and didn't jump as Mr. Weasley had.

Just as Mr. Weasley opened the door, he cautioned Harry to be quiet in the hallway. Once inside Harry found everyone else in hushed voices putting away coats and scarves. Tonks crowded in beside Harry and Harry side stepped to give Tonks more room only to knock over an umbrella stand next to the door with a crash.

"To late now," Tonks said in a normal voice. "Usually it's me that wakes her."

"Wake who?" Harry started to ask as a horrible, earsplitting, bloodcurdling screech erupted. Curtains over a portrait painting blew apart revealing an old woman drooling, eyes rolling as she screamed obscenities and curses. More portraits on the walls uncurtained and added their own yelling to the ruckus as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley and Tonks tried to pull the curtains shut while the rest of them clamped their hands over their ears. Sirius came tearing into the hallway in front of the portrait of the old woman.

"Shut up, you horrible old hag, shut UP!" he roared. Mr. Weasley and Sirius grabbed the curtains and with stupendous effort managed to force the curtains closed again.

The old woman's screeches died and an echoing silence fell.

"Hello, Harry, everyone," he said grimly, "I see you've all met my mother."

Sirius pulled Harry off to a side room.

"I'll explain about the house and my mother later. For now I just want to say - Merry Christmas." Sirius handed Harry a set of books entitled Practical defensive magic and Its Use Against the Dark Arts. "Lupin pitched in as well."

"Thanks Sirius, but I didn't get you anything."

"Harry, you being here is enough of a present for me."

Harry put down the books and hugged his Godfather. Christmas was indeed complete this year.