Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

"We need to tell the Order," Harry said reaching out to touch Hermione.

"Can we communicate with Hagrid only? Maybe we can talk him into coming back without involving the others."

"We can try."

'Hagrid. Please come back to Hogwarts.'

'Ah, bit late for that now. An' I can't spare much of a thought at the moment either.'

There was a brief but vivid mental image of large spiders blocking the path behind Hagrid, and more threatening clicking noises in front of him.

Their next thought was to contact Hogwarts.

'Hagrid's in trouble and needs our help. He's in the forest.'

It was an extremely efficient form of communication. Thoughts and pictures explained the situation in less than a heartbeat, what would have taken anxious minutes if they had all been in the same room. Dumbledore could not be of assistance. Wherever he was, it was too far away to apparate and would take far too long by broom. Tadra offered her carpet as transportation off the Hogwarts grounds to the faculty members of the Order. Ginny knew something was up and had already caught up with Ron on the edge of the Hogwarts grounds.

'It is imperative that Hagrid be removed from harm. Harry, Hermione, I want the two of you to take Hagrid side-along. It is very important that you do this together. Everyone will then meet a safe distance from the Acromantula colony. Minerva, you are of course in charge. I will leave you, Alastor, and Severus to handle the situation. As for the rest, please be careful. The Order cannot afford to lose any of you.'

Harry had one last quick thought.

'Ron, Ginny, give us a three count before apparating to help Hagrid.'

The link was broken. Harry turned to Firenze.

"We have to go help Hagrid," Harry told him quickly, and with a pop he and Hermione disapparated together.

The scene that greeted them was more than blood chilling as they apparated beside Hagrid in the dim light. Giant spiders with glistening multiple black eyes and angry clicking mandibles surrounded them.

Almost at the same time Ron and Ginny apparated beside them, wands drawn. The nearest spider launched itself toward the group and instantly met with an oversized arrow from Hagrid's crossbow.

Harry and Hermione locked hands and reached around as much of Hagrid as they could,

"Now!" Harry yelled.

They all apparated together to a ridge that overlooked the shallow, heavily forested valley that the colony occupied. Ron and Ginny apparated a split second later beside them.

Hagrid winced and gave a shudder.

"So that's what it feels like to disapparate."

"That's the second time you apparated, Ginny. You're not supposed to apparate. You're supposed to side-along with me. Not the other way around," Ron protested angrily.

"Fine, another time. I didn't want to risk apparating a kilometer away."

Ron's ears turned pink, but Ginny ignored him and launched into a heated chastisement of Hagrid in a fashion that was uncannily similar to her mother. Even Ron took a surprised step back as if to stay out of the line of fire. Ginny finally polished off her stinging rebuke.

"What in Merlin's name were you thinking? It's a minor miracle Harry and Hermione were able to take you side-along."

Hagrid blinked in stunned amazement at the ferocity of Ginny's lecture that was in stark contrast to her small size. Her fiery red hair matched her temper with only the brightness of her eyes betraying the fear that had set her off.

Hagrid looked from face to face realizing how much everyone cared and what they were willing to risk for him. His large tangled black beard twitched before he spoke.

"I appreciate all of you getting me out of that fix - 'specially you, Harry and Hermione. But I had to know, and now I do. They've been killing and eating unicorns."

A shocked moment of silence followed.

"Are you sure?" Hermione asked.

"Certain. I saw a couple of unicorn skulls an' that means they've got to be destroyed."

Hagrid eyes brightened and he gave a loud sniff, but the next moment he stiffened and set his jaw resolutely.

"There's no choice. We need to tell the others."

Harry and Hermione established another link. McGonagall, Moody, and Snape were already en route on Tadra's carpet and all were informed of what Hagrid had discovered.

'The situation has changed. It is agreed the Acromantula colony must be destroyed. However, the Ministry's involvement in this matter is not desirable. I believe it would be prudent to gather the entire Order and deal with this matter discreetly at a future date."

'We'll need everyone,' Moody agreed.

'Minerva, retrieve Hagrid and the others. Then assess the area. An emergency meeting should be scheduled and we will discuss our best course of action.'

'I sense danger. Something is wrong nearby,' Hermione suddenly added.

'Break the link immediately. The others will arrive soon.'

The link was broken and what Hermione had sensed was obvious. Grawp gave a deep guttural bellow that only a giant can make. His grayish round head could be seen just above the treetops. His huge arms were swinging and making splintering contact with nearby trees accompanied by thunderous slaps on his own limbs. Evidently, Grawp had moved in to look for Hagrid unaware that he had been disapparated away. Grawp and the spiders were now in battle.

"Grawp!" Hagrid yelled in shock, but his forgotten half-brother was too far away to hear.

Harry took in a deep breath and shuddered as an owl hooted in the distance. The orange glow of the setting sun was growing dim as a nearly full moon rose in the eastern sky brightened against a darkening sky. The lure to battle was invigorating, almost intoxicating, as the scarred claw marks on Harry's ribs tingled. In an instant he made a decision.

"I'll go get him out."

Harry disapparated with a pop as shouts of "Wait!" echoed after him.

Harry pointed his wand at a moving mass in the forest ahead of him and put as much will and energy into the spell as he could.

"Sectumsempra!"

A wide swath of forest with spiders was slashed and cut to pieces in front of him. Only the largest trees, heavily scarred, remained standing. There was a flash of neon blue from the six scars on Harry's chest and he ran headlong into the carnage. The cold night air whistled in his ears as he ran. He cast more spells dodging falling trees, limbs, and spider body parts. A few spiders survived, shielded by the larger trees, and they attacked as he went by. He slammed into the side of a large leg and cast the killing curse as he bounced off and sidestepped the dropping lifeless body, and plowed ahead. Bright moonlight illuminated the forest floor covered in animal bones, the gruesome remains of the Acromantulas' victims. A unicorn skull with a single long beautifully twisted horn shone pronounced among the rest.

The fleeting glimpse of a unicorn skull told Harry they were without doubt in the decision to destroy the spiders, and the urge to kill was renewed. He felt a new freedom emerge and he relished it, savored it. He sensed others joining in the fight as he made his way toward Grawp. The knowledge made him feel keenly competitive and the desire to kill intensified.

Harry's lungs began to ache and burn as he breathed, trying to fill and exhale with air. Sweat drenched his hair and his clothes, making the cold air sweet to his overheated body.

Harry was close to Grawp and could clearly hear the splintering of thick wood, and deep guttural bellows. Without warning, there were no more spiders nearby to kill and he stopped, he listened, he smelled the air. Grawp was no longer bellowing and was now retreating. Harry still felt the keen desire to kill, but a sound echoed in Harry's head. A high-pitched pitiless laugh grew along with a sharp pain on his forehead.

'Having fun Potter?' a laughing voice asked.

The high-pitched laugh faded as another sound grew. A voice came from a light in the darkness - a lit wand illuminated trees and branches in the distance.

"Harry. Harry please come here."

"Hermione?" he whispered and slowly the urge to kill diminished and he felt incredibly tired.

"I'm - I'm coming," he yelled between deep breaths.

With some effort, he lit his wand and made his way forward. He found more lit wands and familiar faces along with unexpected ones. The sight of Neville was as welcome as the sight of Malfoy was disgusting. He didn't see Ron, Hagrid, McGonagall or Ginny but assumed they were nearby. No one said anything. They all looked at him oddly; their breaths puffing in cool the evening air. The way they stared at him made him acutely uncomfortable. He wondered if maybe he had made a bad decision to jump in and fight the spiders off Grawp. The cold night air that had been so sweet on his sweat-drenched body earlier, now caused him to shiver.

"Sorry, I must look a sight I worked up a sweat."

"It's more than sweat Potter. You're covered in Acromantula blood," Moody informed him.

Harry looked himself over in surprise. He was covered in a light blue translucent slime and his robes were torn. There were also numerous gashes, cuts, and bloody bruises. Harry heard Moody say "Brace yourself" as water from two wands washed him down. Moody and Hermione did a quick blow dry that didn't quite dry out his ruined robe.

Harry looked around again and realized that no one was completely unharmed. Robes were torn, a gash on Neville's arm, Snape's greasy hair was disarrayed from possible impact, Moody's wooden leg was splintered, Tadra clutched at her knee, Malfoy had a bloody cut across his forehead, and Hermione had a rosy red splotch on the side of her face. They all kept staring at him oddly.

"Er, is everyone okay?"

"Luna was bitten, we need to heal her."

Hermione turned and led Harry to where Luna lay on a conjured blanket on the forest floor. McGonagall and Ginny were tending to Luna's wounds. Ron stood nearby, holding a lit wand, watching Luna with helpless dread as Harry and Hermione approached.

"You've got to help her," he croaked. "I didn't see it coming. They were coming for me, but she jumped in the way. She shouldn't have done it. She shouldn't have . . ."

The pleading anguished look on Ron's face caught Harry's attention first, but then he noticed Ron was covered in scrapes and cuts, and his Robes were in absolute tatters. For a brief instant Harry thought of telling Ron it was a good thing he wore something under his robes but such a comment now would be inappropriate. Besides, Harry was feeling more tired and heavy by the minute. He turned his attention to Luna and a wave of guilt gripped him. Luna lay there pale and unconscious, in bandages and splints.

"It's her left shoulder," McGonagall said brusquely. "You two need to do whatever it is you do."

Harry and Hermione positioned themselves and Harry had no trouble summoning tears over the gaping wound on her bare shoulder - tears that mixed with Hermione's, fell and healed.

A stretcher was conjured and Luna was levitated onto it. Everyone except Hagrid gathered onto Tadra's carpet. Harry learned that Hagrid was leading Grawp off to another part of the forest. Moody informed him that giants are thick skinned and resistant to most poisonous creatures.

Guilt was weighing on him heavily and it was just too much to bear as he looked into Hermione's eyes. In those chocolate brown eyes he had come to know so well, he saw a mixture of fear, anger and concern. His body began to ache and he felt more tired than ever.

"I'm sorry," he said to everyone. "I don't know what came over me. I should have waited."

"Impetuous to the last," drawled Snape.

"We'll discuss this later," said McGonagall. "Miss Lovegood and Mr. Potter need to be taken to the Infirmary. The rest of us could stand some attention as well."

"Me? I'm just tired," Harry said with weak bravado.

Harry swayed and dropped to his knees.

"Harry!"

Hermione caught him as he fell over. Harry looked up into her eyes and saw the love he knew was always there.

"I - I think I over did it a bit," he said as everything went blissfully black.

***

***

***

"If Harry wakes up during the day Professor McGonagall said she would let Hermione out of class. I think he's been having bad dreams. Maybe Madam Pomfrey should check for an infestation of corkruts. They can cause bad dreams you know."

"Corkruts? Wait, he's waking up. I'll go find Hermione."

Harry sat up bolt right in bed and pain washed over his body, but fear and adrenalin made him ignore it. He pointed a wandless hand at the person standing near the end of his bed.

"Harry," Luna said calmly. "It's Cho you're pointing at. Don't do anything rash."

"It's okay Luna. He doesn't have a wand. I'll go get Hermione. I think I'll go to my room after I find her."

"I hope to see you at dinner in the Great Hall."

Cho gave a nod and weak smile before she left.

Luna held out Harry's glasses to him, but he found the effort to reach for them excruciating. Every movement was painful, making him gasp and move in slow short pauses. By the time he managed to put on his glasses, beads of sweat had formed on his forehead. Slowly looking around he recognized the hospital wing.

"What's wrong with me? It hurts to move."

Harry painfully eased himself back into bed.

"You over did it and just to let you know, it's Monday, not quite noon."

"Three days?"

He and Luna were the only ones in the hospital wing. Luna was bandaged and bruised; her left arm was in a sling. With her free arm, Luna reached for her wand on a nearby table and cast a concealment spell on the room.

"I was afraid you were going to hurt Cho. You've been having bad dreams."

"I dreamed the spiders had me in a web and I couldn't move and that Voldemort was coming. . . ." Harry pushed aside the dream. "Er, I didn't have a wand. How could I have hurt Cho?"

"I think you could have, and I understand why you would want to keep it a secret. Would you like to hear what's been going on since you went to sleep three days ago?"

Harry nodded and winced regretting the movement.

"Ron is amazing. He attacked all those spiders that he's so afraid of, but when they swarmed over him, I couldn't help myself. I was afraid for him. That's how I got in this shape." Luna lifted her left arm.

"Even after being swarmed, Ron only had a few scratches," Luna said with a dreamy smile. "By the way, thank you for helping heal my bite. I already thanked Hermione. I actually don't feel all that bad. It's just that Ron comes to see me everyday." Luna blushed but didn't look away.

"Are all the spiders dead?"

"Yes, the centaurs made certain they were all dead. And Hagrid says two Chameleon Dragons have been gorging themselves on the remains. Dragons will eat almost anything. Chameleon Dragons are very rare and few people have ever seen them. Maybe you or Hermione will show them to me."

Luna's suggestion didn't sound like a good idea, but it was a stroke of luck that there would be little evidence of an Acromantula colony.

"Cho looks good considering what she's been through. But her hands have been permanently scarred and she wears gloves."

"Oh. Okay," Harry replied understanding Cho might feel self-conscious about her hands and was silent in thought before speaking again.

"I'm sorry Luna. I should have waited for everyone."

"We understand. Tadra explained it to us. It's the mark of the beast. Now that you know what it's like you can control it with Hermione's help."

"Your next meeting will be over Easter Holiday. Neville and I might get to join although Headmaster Dumbledore looked sad when I mentioned it. Do you suppose he feels responsible about your parents? They were not much older than us."

Harry blinked, and wondered how Luna managed to take so many tangents.

"He shouldn't. Pettigrew betrayed them."

"Before I forget. Our cover story is that I wanted to tryout for Chaser on the Ravenclaw team and asked you to show me some practical tips. We had a bad accident with Bludgers, and it was my fault," Luna told him with a distant smile.

"That's not fair to you. Couldn't I have been at fault in this cover story?"

"No, that wouldn't be nearly as believable. Anyway, the others will be here soon."

Luna removed the concealment spell and Ron strolled in shortly thereafter.

"Sleeping beauty has finally awakened. Can't say the beauty rest did much for your looks mate. You still look like you tangled with a half dozen Bludgers. Hagrid let me leave early, he's still broken up over the bloody spiders. Thought I'd drop by and see you two before lunch. You hungry?"

"Now that you mention it, I'm starved. But I'm not sure about making it down to the Great Hall."

Hermione appeared at the doorway and hurried past Ron. She wasn't smiling and Harry knew it wasn't a good sign. She threw her arms around him and hugged him tightly. The combination of pain from the bruises, strained muscles, and the ferocity of her grip took his breath away. She pushed back and looked him sternly in the eyes.

"Don't ever do that again," she said with shaking voice and bright eyes. "Do you hear me?"

"I - I'm sorry."

Hermione's face skewed up before she pressed against him.

"Oh Harry, I love you," she said with a shuddering sigh.

Ron looked relieved there wasn't a row and turned his attention to Luna.

"Say Luna, when are you getting out of here? Maybe you'd like to watch Gryffindor Quidditch practice. I'll be acting captain while Harry recovers."

Harry raised an eyebrow at Hermione as Ron took a chair beside Luna's bed. Hermione returned a grin.

"I hear chatter. Mr. Potter must be awake. And sure enough I'm correct. Now I have some potion to give him and it's not pleasant to take nor is it pleasant to watch."

Harry grimaced.

"Is it ever pleasant to take?"

"Rarely ever," she answered. "Now I was not exaggerating. The lot of you should clear out. That includes you Miss Lovegood. I think you're fit enough to manage on your own. Stop by tomorrow and we'll see about removing your arm sling."

Everyone left except Hermione. Harry let Madam Pomfrey know it was okay. Somehow he felt as if he deserved some vile tasting potion.

Madam Pomfrey informed him it was a two-step process. First Harry had to drink a glass of some thick yellow potion. After slowly sitting on the edge of the bed, Madam Pomfrey held the cup for him and encouraged him to drink it quickly to get it over with.

"Yuck, that tasted like wax."

"Right you are. It's to coat your throat. Now hold this bucket in your lap. Good. Now for the real potion."

Madam Pomfrey took a spoonful of bubbling, smoking potion, and delivered it with unerring accuracy. Harry was surprised there wasn't much taste and it went down easier than he had imagined it would.

"That wasn't as bad as I thought it would be."

"Right. Don't look at me. Look down at the bottom of that bucket."

Harry complied wondering what was going to happen and then it hit him like a sledgehammer. His mouth opened up and he thought he would puke up his feet with one spectacular convulsion. Every muscle in his body screamed in protest and then it was over as quickly as it came. Madam Pomfrey handed him a damp cloth to wipe his mouth. She took the bucket, cleaned it with a wave of her wand, and then gave him a mint.

"Now, see if you can stand up."

Amazingly enough he stood up with some comparatively minor soreness.

"Good, get dressed and don't over exert yourself for the next few days or you'll be taking more of that.

"Er, no thanks. I'll definitely take it easy," Harry said with frosty breath from the mint.

"You can leave now Miss Granger. We'll let him get dressed in private," Madam Pomfrey said pulling curtains shut after her and Hermione.

"I'll wait in the hallway Harry. It's lunchtime if you're up to it."

"I'm starved."

***

***

***

Time went by slowly, probably because Harry moved, and walked slowly. He had never been so sore and stiff in his life. If not for Madam Pomfrey's muscle relaxing potion he probably wouldn't have been able to get out of bed for a week, let alone walk. The next day Harry talked with Ron and found out how he had been buried under a mass of spiders only to emerge breaking off large spider legs to save Luna. He also found out more about what the others saw when they joined the fight.

"Honestly mate, you were awesome. The forest was lit up with all the flashing green light. Professor Moody thinks you killed nearly half of them by yourself."

"Half? But I only meant to clear a path for Grawp."

"Tadra kept insisting that we all give you plenty of room because you were in some kind of killing frenzy. I wish I could fight like that."

"No you don't. Now that it's over, it's scary to think about. All I wanted to do was kill."

"When you put it that way, maybe not."

An awkward moment of silence followed before Harry grinned.

"And what about you? How many times were you bitten by those things? And the poison didn't even affect you. Tadra said you were tossing giant spiders aside, left and right, with your bare hands after you dropped your wand."

"I didn't drop it," Ron protested. "It was a really big one that knocked it loose. And I returned the favor by knocking loose one of its legs. Well, more like tore it off. Luckily my wand wasn't broke and Ginny found it with a summoning spell later. And considering the shape my robes were in it's a good thing I wear something under my robes."

They both laughed.

"Best we get a move on. Hermione wants to borrow my wand."

"What does my girlfriend want with your wand?"

"Dunno. Hermione and Ginny are up to something. How long before we ask what they're up to?"

"Give it a week or two."

As they turned a corner, Filch was standing over a puddle of black goo yelling and pointing a shaking finger at several third years.

"Making a mess with half-learned spells, and I havta clean up!"

Harry and Ron quickened their pace wanting to avoid the scene, or any involvement. Filch's jowls quivered as he gave a wild accusatory look at Harry and Ron before renewing his rant at the third years. When they were out of earshot Ron snickered and Harry grinned, but something Hermione said the day before echoed in his head and he recalled the conversation.

"We need allies. We can't exclude anyone -the centaurs, goblins, house-elves, even giants. The wizarding world has been far too judgmental and prejudice in its view of other sentient creatures."

"I suppose we'll just educate Grawp and he'll go back and convince the rest of the Giants to join our cause," Ron said sarcastically.

"I doubt that Grawp is that interested in getting a formal education," Hermione snapped back. "But it could go a long way if we could figure out how to teach Grawp to fight better. I'll bet he'd be interested in learning that. In fact, that's the very reason Hagrid doesn't want Grawp to return to his own kind. He's afraid he'll be killed by one of the other giants. I don't believe Grawp wants to stay in the forbidden forest. I know the Centaurs don't want him there. It's a bad situation for everyone concerned. The bottom line is that we need allies."

"I'll catch up with you in a bit Ron. I just thought of something I should check on."

Harry made his way to Filch's office and knocked.

***

***

***

Saturday morning they met in Dumbledore's office. Fawkes was perched conspicuously to one end of the large office. It was not a full meeting of the Order, only those at Hogwarts. Hushed voices spoke little beyond minor pleasantries because of two, who were not yet members. Luna looked calm and unconcerned, her usual demeanor. Neville looked anxious as he waited. Harry was disappointed that his words of encouragement hadn't helped Neville's anxiety.

Dumbledore motioned that it was time, and the two candidates took their places.

"We, the Order of the Phoenix have voted to allow you into our ranks as marked members having no other authority or rights. Do you wish to join our number?"

"Yes."

"Yes."

"Stand before this phoenix and pledge your loyalty. State your name and be judged."

"I, Luna Louise Lovegood pledge my loyalty to the Order of the Phoenix."

Fawkes stretched to his full height, gently flapped his wings and showered Luna with glowing sparks. Luna looked genuinely surprised and then turned to look at Harry and Hermione with a radiant smile and a small giggle.

"I, Neville Frank Longbottom pledge my loyalty to the Order of the Phoenix."

Neville gave a sigh of relief when Fawkes showered him with glowing sparks.

Harry stepped forward.

"As I shake your hand you are to respond in the same way you receive."

As Neville shook Harry's hand he looked surprised and then concentrated. Luna didn't reach for Harry's hand, she hugged him and effortlessly returned the mental image of a fiery phoenix.

Dumbledore stepped up beside Fawkes and addressed the room.

"Our mark is an image in the mind. An image kindled by loyalty and trust - that once broken - is lost as will any memory of our Order. Our mark is unique and cannot be duplicated. Nor can it be used without being diluted. We will know if our fellow member is under the influence of the Imperious Curse. Let us take our stand on Merlin's moto, 'Magical Justice for All'." The room echoed with affirmation.

Everyone congratulated the two new members. Snape, however, gave his congratulations with disdain and with an extra look of intimidation toward Neville. Neville showed little reaction, which made Harry proud of him.

"Harry, Hermione, if you would be so kind as to provide a link. We will have a short meeting."

"A what?" asked Neville.

Harry and Hermione touched hands. Mentally, everyone who was not present at the induction introduced themselves and welcomed the two newcomers. Remus gave the news about increased Dementor attacks. The most recent incident was four hiking muggles were found dead in the forest near Odstone. The Ministry stepped in and kept the quadruple deaths from becoming a sensation. Shacklebolt informed them the Ministry was keeping a close watch on reported Muggle deaths where there was no apparent injury and the victims looked as though they were frightened to death. The Ministry did not want a Muggle panic and covertly intervened with those who were overly curious.

"Isn't there any way to kill a Dementor?" Harry asked.

"I believe your Patronus managed to kill a young Dementor, Harry. As for an adult It should be possible if it was surrounded by several full corporeal Patronus. But we know how quickly they can retreat. And before any of our younger members give thought. I want to make this very clear. No one of the Order without authority, will attempt this. Thank you Harry, Hermione, our meeting is concluded."

On the way back to the Gryffindor Common room Neville was expressing his surprise.

"Absolutely amazing. I had no idea you and Hermione could do that. It's too bad the rest of us can't communicate back without the two of you. Aren't you surprised Luna?"

"Not really," Luna said dreamily.

"Not at all?" Neville asked incredulous.

"Before Fawkes gave his blessing I would have been surprised."

Luna stopped walking, making the rest stop as well. She beamed at Harry and Hermione, gave a light and happy laugh, and hugged them both. Luna then turned to Tadra.

"You know don't you," Luna said laughing again and gave Tadra a hug as well before leaving.

"What does Luna think you know."

"Know? Know what my brother?" Tadra said smiling and gave Harry a hug before she left as well.

"What in the bloody hell?" Ron asked frowning.

"Luna say anything to you Ginny?"

"No, but I'll see if she'll tell me what she's on about."

"Where are you and Hermione off to?"

"Honestly Ron," Ginny chided him.

"Oh," Ron responded to Harry and Hermione's grin as he watched them depart down an adjacent corridor.

"Do you think Luna was headed to Ravenclaw Tower?"

"I think she's going to the library."

Without saying another word, Ron took off toward the library.

"Looks like it's just you and me, Neville. Have more questions?"

"Lots."

"I'll tell you as much as I can. And I'm sure your dad and mum would be very proud."

Neville straightened proudly but his eyes began to water, bittersweet.

Ginny hugged him tightly as Neville's jaw began to tremble helping him to recover.

"Thanks."

"Come along. You've still got questions."

***

***

***

"Well, it's been two weeks since you wanted to borrow Ron's wand. What have you two been up to?"

With Harry's question Hermione and Ginny cast glances at each other. Hermione nodded and Ginny responded with a shrug.

"I doubt that Ron will like what we've been up to."

"I know he won't," Ginny added.

"Regardless, you should both know. Where's Ron anyway?"

"The kitchens, where else?" Harry said with a laugh. "Actually I expected him along by now. There he is. Er, hold on."

Ron had just emerged from the Gryffindor entrance into the common room looking confused.

"I've just seen the strangest thing . . . Filch was snapping a pack of fourth years down the corridor."

"Impossible, Filch is a Squib," Hermione corrected him.

"Snapping? You mean that simple pinching hex we used to use?" Ginny asked.

"Of course that's what I mean."

"It's not really a pinching hex. It's a low-level stinging hex, or more accurately, an incomplete stinging hex. And Filch is a Squib," Hermione insisted.

"Look, I know what I saw. Filch was snapping a pack of fourth years and he was using a wand."

"Harry?" Ginny questioned. "Why are you looking pleased with yourself and not surprised?"

Hermione's eyes grew wide and her mouth dropped as she turned her attention to Harry.

"Harry James Potter, what have you done? And don't tell me you can turn a Squib into someone magical."

"Well, no. No one can do that. I . . . I just helped him make a connection, between him and his wand. All he has to do is squeeze the handle and it automatically casts a snapper. The harder he squeezes the more potent the snap. It's a harmless hex and the wand will only work that way for him."

"I'm impressed," Ginny said grinning.

"I don't know that I am. He really thinks he can do magic now. You've given him false hope."

"I dunno. Something is better than nothing. And I emphasized that after all these years he can't hope to do much more. Besides - did he look happy Ron?"

"Delirious, but I still don't understand. Why did you do that mate?"

"Another ally," Ginny said answering for Harry. "At least Harry listens to Hermione."

It was decided any further discussion about Filch could wait and that the information Hermione and Ginny had to divulge was too sensitive to risk being overheard. They decided to meet in an empty classroom later that evening during Hermione's Prefect rounds.

**

**

The last one to slip into the deserted classroom was Ron, grinning.

"I didn't appreciate it earlier but that was bloody brilliant helping Filch. Saw him humming and dancing some jig in the corridor on the way up. Told me I wouldn't have to worry about detentions ever again, at least not from him. And he said that applied to all friends of Harry Potter."

Hermione frowned.

"I didn't do it for favoritism, but it'll be nice not to have him trying to get us into trouble all the time. Okay, Hermione. Let's hear it."

Ginny cast a concealment spell on the room before Hermione spoke.

"We've been working with Professor Firenze to see if Centaurs can perform magic."

"What? Are you mad? There are laws against that. You could end up in prison for it. Merlin's beard Ginny, what would mum say if you ended up in prison?"

"You've got a lot of room to talk. Now, are you done ranting?"

Ron looked like he was ready for a row, but Harry cut in.

"Any success? Can Firenze perform magic?"

Hermione pursed her lips before continuing.

"Centaurs are magical beings. It only makes sense that they can perform some kind of magic. But so far we've had limited success."

Ron smirked but Hermione and Ginny ignored him.

"Only a wand with a unicorn tail hair core will work for Firenze. We found that out when Hermione borrowed your wand," Ginny said looking at Ron who frowned. "The wand worked alright but it took me and Hermione almost an hour to straighten up the classroom after Firenze practically destroyed it with an errant spell. Good thing we had a double concealment spell on the room or we would have had half the castle checking in on us."

"Professor Firenze seems to have a lack of control or concentration. It can only be expected that he would have trouble with a wand, having never used one. Still, we're not sure if this is particular to Professor Firenze or to all Centaurs."

"Just say Firenze, Hermione. We all know he's a professor," Ron said flatly.

"I think it's important to refer to people correctly. Anyway, it's time to test that theory and Firenze feels that an introduction of magic to the other Centaurs would be better received by you two. That is unless Ron would rather not be involved because of the risk."

"No, no. I'm in. But I would rather Ginny not . .. " Ron's words trailed off at a look from Ginny. "Anyway, it's a given we shouldn't involve anyone else."

Harry and Hermione managed to contact Mr. Ollivander with Fawkes help. Still very much in hiding Mr. Ollivander reluctantly agreed to meet them in the Forbidden Forest on a Saturday afternoon in late April. Harry suspected it was out of curiosity that Ollivander agreed to help - to see if Centaurs could actually use wands. It was common knowledge that wizarding law forbids the use of wands by any other creature. However, it was not common knowledge that goblins discreetly used wands in their magic to safeguard the vaults. The Ministry ignored such use when it came to the protection of the wizarding world's money. Harry speculated that Mr. Ollivander could be discreetly supplying goblins with wands if they didn't make their own.

In a few weeks they would attempt to introduce wands to the Centaurs. In the mean time there was studying and essays to work on. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were quiet as they studied late in the empty common room. The only sounds made were the shuffling of parchment and scratching of quills on a table close to the warm fireplace. Harry took a piece of chocolate from a bowl, frowned and pushed the bowl away. There was something about it that reminded him of a batch of chocolate the year before.

"This chocolate isn't very good," Harry groused. "Where did it come from?"

"Seems alright to me."

"Right, and you think Hagrid's cooking is edible now."

Ron shrugged.

"Some relative of Cho has been giving her lots of chocolate in an effort to cheer her up. But she's been giving it away. And Harry's right it's not very good. I just keep reaching for it out of habit."

"I have a solution. Ron, why don't you get rid of it for us."

"Be glad to."

Ron tipped the bowl up one handed taking a huge mouthful, emptying the bowl. Harry grinned while Hermione wrinkled her nose at the display. After some forced chewing, a big swallow, and a quick jab at a drop of chocolate that threatened to escape, Ron turned to Hermione.

"You know Hermione, if your plan is successful there will be an imbalance of power in the Forbidden Forest."

"What do you mean?"

"Isn't it obvious? I'm talking about tiny."

Dumbstruck, Hermione put her quill down slowly and Harry gritted his teeth and swore.

"We've been over and over this. There's no way to teach him how to fight. All he wants to do is wildly swing a club, and I know the club is a tree trunk. Hagrid will have to send him away," Harry said with mounting irritation.

"He can't. Would you send your brother off to be killed?"

"What choice does he have if your plan works?"

"I don't know. Why am I supposed to be responsible to find a solution to every problem that comes along. Maybe it's about time one of you two comes up with an idea."

"Everyone's always looking at me to make decisions as if I'm some sort of leader. Fine, I'll repeat what I just said. Hagrid has to send him away. I'm not saying I like it but there's no other choice."

Ron raised both eyebrows.

"Er, what's with you two. We've still got time. Maybe -."

Harry and Hermione abruptly stood up, gathered their parchments and quills, and left without another word.

" - Tadra has an idea . . . "

Ron's trailing words were spoken to an empty common room.

**

**

"My brother, may I speak with you about tiny?"

"Sure."

"Thank you."

"Why so formal?"

"Yourself and others shown irritability, possibly signs of stress for the dark times we live in. I wish no ill will between us. In regards to tiny, I wonder if you have considered Legilimency."

"What?"

"Legilimency is normally used to extract information. With sufficient skill it can be used to give, or impress information. We have no physical means to teach tiny how to defend himself. If however, we could give him the necessary information through Legilimency, tiny could return to his kind with some relative chance of survival. Eye contact would be essential, and my carpet could be of use. I would also suggest that the simplest instructions of defense and offense be the main objective."

"Yes, if that could work it would be the solution we need," Harry said with growing excitement. "We should call a meeting and decide what combat moves I should try to impress him with. We've already talked about magically hardening his club to keep it from breaking. Anything else?"

"I believe this will only work with Hermione's help - you will need her touch."

***

***

***

"Ten more weeks, I'll be glad when this term is over. I've never seen such bickering and fighting amongst the students. And rumor is that Pansy has it in for Tadra."

Harry only nodded in agreement as he took another bite of his breakfast and glanced over at the Slytherin table. He didn't like the way Tadra was spending more and more time with Malfoy. Even now she was sitting by him, but she was evidently done with breakfast and was getting up. Harry straightened as Tadra leaned down toward Malfoy. For a brief second he thought she was going to kiss him but from this angle he could see she was whispering in his ear. Relieved he began to tell Hermione again, how much he disapproved of what Tadra was trying to do. His mouth opened to speak but Hermione's widened eyes surprised him. He could tell from the direction of her gaze she had been looking at the Slytherin table too. Before he could turn around a scream erupted, and then a second.

"Crucio!"

"Stupefy!"

One moment Tadra was on the floor writhing in agony with Pansy holding a wand at her. The next moment Pansy was flying backward through the air from a stunning spell. After stunning Pansy, Malfoy looked genuinely concerned for Tadra. Harry, Hermione, Ron and others were standing nearby, with wands drawn, not sure what was going to happen next. Malfoy looked up annoyed at Harry and Hermione.

"Well? Don't just stand there. You two help me take Tadra to the infirmary. Prefects can deal with Pansy.

"I - I will be fine," Tadra said getting up with Malfoy's help.

The crowd that was gathering began to chatter.

"Why would Pansy do such a thing? An unforgivable?"

"She'll be expelled."

"She thought Tadra kissed Draco."

"It was only a matter of time, but an unforgivable?"

"Where's Pansy?" someone asked.

Malfoy muttered something about a stupid cow under his breath before saying, "Obviously she's gone."

Of course, Pansy was gone, and a search of the castle confirmed it. She would have been expelled anyway, but would also have had to deal being charged by the Ministry for casting an unforgivable. It didn't take much image she had run off to join Death Eaters, and to Harry it seemed a waste. But if true it would not be surprising. The outcome of Pansy's jealous action turned out to make Tadra Prefect in Pansy's place. Harry was proud that Tadra had been made Prefect but was galled that she would now be spending even more time with Malfoy.

A few weeks later Tadra confided to Harry and Hermione about Pansy.

"I am not sure that jealousy would have been enough for Pansy Parkinson to do such a thing in public."

"Why not?" Harry asked. "People do crazy things over jealousy."

"Is there something that makes you think that?"

"Not in specific, my sister. I recall that Draco was complaining to her that she was getting fat, and to stop eating chocolate."

Harry looked nonplussed, but Hermione was interested.

"Why does that seem significant?"

"I'm not sure. It was the way he said it and looked at me when he said it."

****

****

****

~

****

****

****

'So far so good,' she thought to herself as she walked along the shore of the lake. 'The Centaurs are armed and learning magic mainly due to Hermione's keen observations. Her suggestion of using a bow with a unicorn-hair core was a stroke of genius. It gave them the concentration and control they needed. Otherwise, it would have been a total failure with wands. And to make things better, it won't be obvious they're armed with magic. Magical law forbids the use of wands by any creature other than a witch or wizard - the key word being wand. The war will soon take on a new level of violence and the Ministry won't have time to rewrite law to disarm the Centaurs.

The Centaurs have pledged their allegiance to the Order.'

Ginny gave a wry smile as she watched the waves blown by the warm breeze of the late spring wind that occasionally whipped her robes.

'I think they pledged their alliance to Harry above the Order. But it doesn't matter. Allies, the more the better. Things will be different this time. We have to win. We have to.'

Ginny fought down a tightness that began to grow in her chest. There were things she didn't want to think about. Things that happened, but didn't happen. It was very confusing at times, but the truth was always with her. Her fingers toyed with the invisible object that hung about her neck. Part of her wanted to look - part of her did not. She knew she would eventually look and she would break down as she always did. She wondered if her ritual of coming out to the lake to think, and then shed her tears, was some kind of cleansing process. She hoped it was.

'For Hagrid's sake I hope Harry and Hermione were able to impart some knowledge to Grawp. Something certainly happened while they were on the carpet trying Legilimency, because Fawkes flew into the forest and showered Grawp with sparks before flying away.'

Ginny remembered Hagrid clutching Grawp's leg and Grawp patting him on the back with enough force to make him cough. She remembered being surprised at Grawp's deep guttural words thanking everyone and then telling Hagrid goodbye. He rarely spoke except to grunt.

"Taaaannk you. Bye broh-therr."

After that, Grawp picked up his huge club, a hardened tree, and left.

The tight feeling in Ginny's chest was growing again. She lifted the object, a glint of heart-shaped gold, and it became visible. Her fingers trembled as she opened it.

"Oh Merlin," she whispered as she looked upon smiling faces and slowly sank to the smooth rocks along the shore, and cried.

"Ginny? Are you alright?"

"H-Harry? I - I'm fine. What are you doing here?"

Ginny quickly stood up, turned away from him, and waved her wand around her face before turning to him.

"Have you been crying?"

"No, not really. I - well, a little. I sometimes have some anxiety about what might happen."

Ginny's heart fluttered as she looked into emerald green eyes.

'No,' she thought to herself. 'You shouldn't be here. This is where I come to get away, and try not to think about you. How many times can my heart break?'

"Hermione sent me out to check on you. You've been spending a lot of time out here by the lake this year."

"It helps me think, to get away."

Harry moved closer, with a look of concern, and then - there was a look of intent that caught Ginny's breath.

"N-no, Harry. Please don't," she whispered.

She knew that she should turn away and run. Push him, something, anything.

"What?" he asked with a smile.

She couldn't move. She wanted to feel his embrace feel the warmth of his lips on hers as he put his arms around her. She began to respond, her hands moved up to touch his face. But a voice in the back of her mind began to scream and she slowly pushed him away with tears and trembling arms.

"What are you doing?" she managed to choke out.

"What we both want."

"You can't. You love Hermione. You have to love Hermione. You must love her. You have to."

"It's not working out. You've seen how we've fighting as of late. The term will soon be over and I think you and I should give it a try. I know you want to."

"What are you saying?! Have you lost your mind? You can't love me! You can't!" Ginny yelled and then sobbed uncontrollably. Sobbing she looked at him with blurred vision, still she saw him give an odd smirk before he turned, and walked away.

Ginny sank to the ground again, crying harder than she had before Harry came. Exhaustion began to ease her sobs as she tried to gather her shattered feelings and make sense of what had just happened. It was all becoming more than she could handle and she was ready to take Dumbledore's advice and finally tell someone. She decided to find Ron and tell him the truth of what had happened that night under the Sphinx and why Harry and Hermione must be a couple. The two of them would figure out what was wrong with Harry.

Still shaking Ginny made her way back to the castle. A couple of strategic shortcuts through the corridors and she would surely find Ron. But instead she found Harry looking intently down a side corridor. Harry gave no indication he was aware of Ginny watching him. Whatever he was looking at had his full attention. The look of horror and anger on Harry's face sent a shiver down Ginny's spine. Suddenly Harry strode away with clenched fists not noticing Ginny behind him.

Wondering what could make him look that way she moved forward. Down the side corridor Harry had been looking were Ron and Hermione embracing in a passionate kiss.

Filling with Rage Ginny began to shout.

"WHAT ARE YOU DO-"

Ginny didn't finish her question. Ron pulled out his wand and with a flash of red, stunned her.

"Rennervate!"

"Why the hell did you stun me? And what were you doing with Hermione?"

"What are you on about? I just heard a nasty rumor about you and Harry. I go looking for you and I find you lying on the floor, and next you accuse me of stunning you? What's going on?"

"Wait . . . "

Ginny recalled the smirk on Ron's face just before he stunned her.

"It wasn't you who stunned me, was it."

"I just told you it wasn't. I want to know what's going on with you and Harry."

"Nothing!" Ginny barked and then swore. "We've been tricked. Where's Hermione?"

"She's in a bad way, locked herself in the girls' dorm. And what do you mean we've been tricked?"

"Ron," Ginny looked him square in the eye. "If you've ever done anything important in your life you'll listen to me now without question. Find Harry and do it quickly. Be sure to take Neville with you."

"Neville? What for?"

"We don't have time for questions. Someone's been using Polyjuice to pose as Harry, Hermione, and you." Ginny swore and lifted her wand. "Just do it! Find Harry, take Neville with you, bring Harry to the common room - I'm going to talk to Hermione."

'You fool! Why didn't you check to make sure it was Harry? If only you had checked with the fiery phoenix!' Ginny cursed herself as she made her way to Gryffindor Tower.

Ginny paused at the locked dorm room with muffled sobs on the other side.

"Hermione?"

"HOW COULD YOU? GO AWAY!" Hermione howled on the other side.

"We've been tricked. It wasn't Harry. Someone's been using Polyjuice. For Merlin's sake Hermione. Harry loves you.

The door clicked and swung open. Hermione looked a wreck with tears streaming down her face.

"I saw you!"

"It wasn't Harry. I didn't understand, until I found Harry watching you and Ron snogging in a dark corridor a few minutes ago."

Hermione's swollen red eyes widened.

"But Ron and I didn't . . ."

"I know you didn't. But Harry saw, and he thought you did. Someone's been using Polyjuice."

Ginny's mind was beginning to work more clearly. The smirk on fake Harry's face was similar to fake Ron's and her suspicion was forming hard on a certain Slytherin. But she knew they had to focus their attention on finding Harry.

"I think they wanted you and Harry apart. We can't let Harry leave the castle. Do you understand what I'm getting at? I've already tried a messenger spell, a locating spell, and a mirror. He didn't respond and I can't locate him. Is he on your map?"

Hermione's mouth dropped open as realization of the situation hit her and her hand dove into her robe and pulled out a map.

"Where' s Harry?" she asked the map with a frantic tone. "Oh Merlin, he's not in the castle."

Hermione pulled out a small mirror.

"Harry, answer me," Hermione pleaded. "Something is going on. You didn't kiss Ginny and I didn't kiss Ron. Someone has been using Polyjuice."

"Quick, let's see if he's taken anything with him?" Ginny suggested.

They both dashed for the sixth year boys' dorm room. The room was empty but Harry's trunk was open with some of its contents tossed about. Ginny looked abut the room as Hermione practically dove into the trunk.

"His Firebolt is gone," Ginny said with growing anxiety as she kept looking about.

"His invisibility cloak isn't here," Hermione said as she noticed broken mirror shards on the bottom of Harry's truck. She reached for a larger silver piece, and a cold shiver shot up her arm with a buzzing in her ear. She dropped it in surprise. She paused not sure what to do and then reached for her wand.

"Reparo," she whispered and the mirror came together on the bottom of Harry's truck. As she picked it up her eyes became grey.

"He usually has his invisibility cloak with him most of the time anyway," Ginny said stating what she and Hermione both knew.

"Sirius?"

"Yes, it's serious. We need to see Dumbledore right away. Did you find something?" Ginny asked looking at the back of Hermione's head.

Hermione shook her head no.

Ron and Neville found Hermione and Ginny emerging from behind the Fat Lady's painting. They quickly exchanged information. Ron and Neville told them that Harry had been seen with his Firebolt headed up to the astronomy tower.

"My friends, whatever has happened, it is of deceit. Where is my brother?"

"Your boyfriend tell you what he did?" Ginny asked icily.

"This is not the place Ginny Weasley. Where is my brother?"

Surprisingly, Ginny knew the password to Dumbledore's office. Without a word, the office door opened to them and as a group they made their way in front of Dumbledore's desk. Dumbledore was hastily levitating various instruments to and from his desk. The delicate looking instruments would puff smoke or sparkle with light. Dumbledore would give each instrument a frustrated look before whisking it away and summoning a different one. After four more attempts without the desired result, he looked toward the group.

"I must apologize for making all of you wait. Thank you for your prompt message Miss Weasley, but I have been unable to locate Mr. Potter. How did this come to pass?"

Before Ginny could respond Tadra snapped with an answer.

"It was the chocolate. It has been tainted with befuddlement draught."

Dumbledore concentrated in thought as comprehension dawned on the group.

"Miss Granger, please check your map for the whereabouts of Miss Chang."

"She's in a lower corridor with Malfoy and - Luna."

"Just before I received Miss Weasley's message that Mr. Potter was missing, Miss Lovegood informed me that she had just stunned Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley. However, she was very sure they were both imposters. Which is now confirmed with your presence here, Miss Granger. Luna has been waiting to inform me of their identities when the suspected Polyjuice potion wears off. Mr. Weasley and Mr. Longbottom, will you kindly assist Miss Lovegood in delivering your stunned fellow students to the infirmary. Please tell Madam Pomfrey they need to be restrained. Take this note as confirmation. And please be on the alert. I suspect the Imperious curse has been in use. How many are under this influence has yet to be determined."

Ron and Neville left Hermione, Ginny, and Tadra in Dumbledore's office.

"Hermione," Dumbledore said with sympathy, "I'm sorry. As Headmaster I cannot help but feel responsibility for the current situation. With that being said, it is time we try to find Harry by other means. You are closer to Harry than you realize. I want you to relax your thoughts and try to guess where Harry may be going. Let your love for him guide you."

With a pained expression Hermione put a hand to her forehead and broke into a cold sweat.

"Trees, he wants to see where his parents . . . before . . . "

"I will alert the Order to search Godric's Hollow. Miss Weasley, Miss Potter, please escort Miss Granger to the infirmary. I will be along shortly."

Hermione was now looking flushed and more pained. She took several steps toward the door with Tadra and Ginny on either side before nearly toppling over. Ginny conjured a stretcher and they levitated her onward.

A few minutes later Dumbledore entered the Hospital Wing.

"Poppy, how is Miss Granger doing?"

"I only know she's in a lot of pain. Why or how I can't say."

Ron, Tadra, Ginny, Luna, and Neville were gathered around Hermione laying on a bed. They completely ignored Malfoy and Cho who were unconscious and magically roped into hospital beds on the other side of the room. Hermione was now even more flushed and sweating. She groaned and fainted. Her hand she had pressed against her forehead fell away revealing a light mark on her forehead - in the telltale shape of a lightning bolt.

Madam Pomfrey quickly looked at Dumbledore.

"Potter's blood?"

"Yes, from the Breath of Life. This can only mean Harry is mentally under attack from Voldemort.