Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** A bit of angst. I've thrown in some canon which doesn't interfere with my plot. ***

Harry lay in his bed looking blankly at the ceiling. The room was sweltering, but he didn't really care. He had shut the window a few hours earlier when his Aunt Petunia had yelled at him from downstairs. A passing shower had prompted the closing of windows just before noon. But the rain had stopped in less than an hour and a bright yellow sunshine returned, warming his room considerably.

Yet he lay there drained of desire or will to do much of anything, let alone open a window. Not even Hedwig tapping on the glass from outside to be let in was enough to stir him to open it.

'Probably just another letter wanting to know how I'm doing,' Harry thought with disgust as he glanced at a pile of opened letters on the floor.

It had been almost three weeks since the end of summer term and his return to Number Four Privet Drive. During that time he had managed to answer them once, compared to the three or four letters apiece from Hermione, Ron, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Remus, and even Tonks. Harry noted dully that there was not a single letter from Dumbledore, or - Sirius. A lump formed in his throat at the thought of his Godfather. His answer had been the same to everyone.

I'm fine.

Harry

And it was an outright lie. He was anything but fine. He felt like part of his life had been drained from him. Unlike the previous summer when he had desperately wanted to keep busy, this summer he hadn't felt like doing anything.

The complaints from his aunt and uncle were constant and still echoing in his head.

"Buck up boy, there are things that need to be done around here. You think we like having you in our house? Show some gratitude," Uncle Vernon bellowed one afternoon. He then wrinkled his nose making his mustache twitch. "And take a shower once in a while. You're beginning to smell."

Harry noticed that his cousin Dudley didn't do much of anything, but Dudley didn't get yelled at either. He did however; show off on his new candy apple red scooter all around the neighborhood. Dudley got the scooter, along with a provisional license to ride it, on his birthday. Dudley's birthday was the same weekend Harry arrived at Privet Drive. Harry could still picture how the tires sank down ominously every time Dudley sat on it, his rear end hanging grossly over either side of the seat. Harry thought he looked like a pig riding a toy scooter and would have suggested Dudley join the circus if Harry hadn't felt so depressed. Dudley's toady friends showed a great deal of envy while his parents made over how wonderful and grown up he looked. His aunt sniffing at her little Dudleykins and that he'd soon be driving a car.

Harry wondered how long it would be before Dudley broke his scooter as he had with everything else he had ever been given.

'So, much for the past few weeks,' Harry thought. Everything that had happened since Christmas was what had been preoccupying Harry's thoughts. He had gone over and over all the events wondering how it all happened, how it could have been different. But the result was always the same . . . Sirius was still gone. Harry's eyes burned until he willed them not to. He was tired of crying, he was tired of everything. A lump formed in Harry's throat as he thought how he could have gotten his classmates, his friends, killed as well. Beads of sweat had formed on Harry's forehead as he ignored a drop that ran down his neck. He stared at the ceiling, the oppressive heat making the ceiling appear more like a movie screen replaying everything that had happened since Christmas.

The day after Christmas Harry had overheard Mr. and Mrs. Weasley talking to each other. Mrs. Weasley was disappointed that her husband had to guard something that evening, but they both stopped talking when they saw Harry come into the kitchen. Later that same night Harry had a dream that he was a snake and attacked Mr. Weasley. The dream was far too real and he woke up everyone, including the portrait of Mrs. Black, in his panic to find Sirius. Mr. Weasley would have died if Harry hadn't alerted the Order. But the incident brought to light a link that he had with Voldemort, a more substantial link than just his scar hurting.

Mr. Weasley was well on the road to recovery by the time they returned to Hogwarts but that good turn was quickly dashed by Mrs. Figg's replacement, Delores Umbridge. Umbridge was a short squatty person, always clearing her throat with "hem hem", and she reminded Harry of a pale toad. As DADA teacher, Umbridge delighted in telling Harry he was a liar and giving him detention. Things went down hill even more quickly as Harry, Fred and George lost their privileges to play Quidditch. It happened after Harry and George publicly beat up on Draco Malfoy. Draco had insulted Fred and George's mother, as well as Harry's, and it had sent them over the top. It didn't seem to matter that Fred hadn't participated in the beating, as he was held back by his teammates. Regardless, Umbridge decided he was violent and would have joined in if not restrained, therefore he was banned from playing Quidditch as well.

'Why did I lose my temper like that? Sure Malfoy insulted Mrs. Weasley and my mother. Plus I was upset that Dumbledore wouldn't talk to me or let me know anything that was going on, but that was still no reason to lose it like that.'

Then in February Cho had asked him for a date to Hogsmeade. Much the same as he had done to Hermione when Ron had asked her to the Fall Dance, Hermione discreetly indicated to Harry that he should accept. It turned out to be a disaster. Cho ran off crying, from the coffee shop, saying Harry could tell Hermione and Ron what happened to Cedric but not her. She didn't give him a chance, but it all came out in the Quibbler later. Still, Harry didn't really regret that it hadn't worked out. His heart was already taken.

In March, appointed by Ministry decree, Umbridge became the Hogwarts High Inquisitor and made life even more unbearable. When Hermione was denied a request to go home and see her new baby sister, born March thirty fist, things got really bad. Harry couldn't ever remember seeing her so angry, it was scary. But suddenly, and inexplicably Hermione was okay. It was a strange and dramatic change in Hermione's temperament. It was easy enough to figure that Dumbledore had managed to help her visit her family, but how? In one night? Of course, Hermione denied that she could apparate, or that anyone could apparate from Hogwarts grounds. She also denied she had found a means to go home by Floo. She did not deny that she had seen her family and her little sister. In fact Harry half-smiled remembering how she had confided in him. She had pulled him to a corner of a darkened and empty common room, behind a chair, and cast a concealment spell.

"I have to tell someone Harry I'm about to bust. I've seen her, she's so tiny and so beautiful. She even gripped my finger with her tiny hand," Hermione said in a rush. Then more slowly she said, "My little sister - Miranda - Miranda Dianthe Granger."

"But how, how did you see her? Ginny said you were only gone one night."

Hermione gave a cryptic smile.

"When you tell me the secret you've been carrying around all school year I'll tell you how."

"What secret?"

Hermione raised an eyebrow.

"About those private lessons with Dumbledore, of course."
"Oh . . ."

"Uh huh, I thought so." She patted him on the cheek and then hugged him, her happiness at being a big sister too much to contain.

Shortly after Hermione's unexplained trip, they formed a secret club to teach each other practical methods of defending themselves against dark magic, all twenty eight of them.

'Well, we did teach each other. Even if I was the one doing most of the teaching.' Harry allowed himself a brief smile. It was the only highlight of a miserable summer term. He also thought it was interesting how, even as teacher, he learned more than he had expected. But his smile faded.

'Still wasn't enough was it. If only I had checked to see what Sirius had given me before we left Grimmauld Place just before we went back to Hogwarts . . . the mirror.' Harry clenched his fists and hated himself for his own stupidity.

A wave of anguish washed over him and passed away. Harry thought how quickly things had happened. He recalled the shock of when he and Hermione had found out that Hagrid had brought back his half-brother who was full-blood giant. Hagrid had asked him and Hermione to watch over Grawp if anything should happen to him and he could no longer do it himself. It was a disappointment to find out it was not a romantic liaison Hagrid had left on for Christmas holiday.

Harry recalled his Occlumency lessons with Snape and ruefully regretted not trying harder. If he had been able to block Voldemort's intrusion into his mind Sirius might still be alive.

he lump formed in his throat again as he struggled to overcome it and continued with his mental review, ticking off the next events in his mind. Trelawney was sacked and Dumbledore hired Firenze, a Centaur, in Trelawney's place. All to the chagrin of Umbridge - Harry smiled weakly remembering how enraged the short, toad looking High Inquisitor of Hogwarts had looked.

he week after that Umbridge directed himself, Hermione and Ron into an unoccupied classroom and gave them some startling information.

Hem, hem. Seems the Headmaster has put in a request to the Ministry of Magic that you three be exempt from the Restriction of Underage Sorcery this coming summer holiday. I dare say I was first appalled at the idea but then . . ." she smiled sweetly looking like a toad dreaming about a cache of flies. "It occurred to me it would be like giving a child a live dragon." Umbridge looked disparagingly at Hermione before saying, "Or in muggle terms; handing a child a loaded gun."

Hem, hem. Yes, I think it would not be long at all, before the lot of you were expelled and have your wands snapped. And maybe . . ." she said gleefully. "I dare say your indiscretion and lack of aptitude at handling magic might even earn you a stay in Azkaban."

You mean - " Harry started to ask incredulously.

"Yeess, the request for exemption has been quietly approved. Your wands will be recorded at the end of term and at the end of summer holiday your wands will be recorded again. You will then turn in a record and explanation of each and every spell you performed outside of school." Umbridge swallowed and smiled most unpleasantly before speaking again. Harry was reminded of a nasty looking toad swallowing a particularly juicy fly.

"Of course that's assuming that you don't manage to get yourselves expelled before the end of term. Hem, hem." Umbridge left the three of them standing in the empty classroom, stunned looks on their faces.

"I would have fancied jumping up and down after news like that, but coming out of her mouth, I don't think I'm very keen on doing magic this summer," said Ron looking at Harry and Hermione who nodded slowly in agreement.

In April they had their last DA meeting working on the Patronus Charm but Marietta Edgecombe told Umbridge about the meeting. Dumbledore, however, took the blame for organizing group and left Hogwarts of his own accord rather than quietly in the custody of the Ministry. It also left Umbridge in charge of Hogwarts, with most students and staff determined to undermine her authority and make her position as headmistress as difficult as possible. Fred and George rose to the task admirably until they were finally caught. They left the school amongst tumultuous applause from the students as they flew off on their brooms into a glorious sunset, chain and iron peg still swinging from Fred's broom.

Finally the implanted impression from Lord Voldemort that Sirius was being tortured and Kreacher's betrayal making the trap complete. The desperation that he had pursued trying to reach Sirius was hotheaded and reckless.

Hermione, Ron, Ginny, Neville, Luna. They all came to help. And they could have all gotten themselves killed. -Ultimately it would have been my fault. They all did amazingly well against the Death Eaters,' he thought to himself proudly. But it was a brief moment as the one thing he didn't want to think about came flooding into his mind again -Sirius, falling backward through the tattered black veil of an ancient stone archway. It was all in slow motion, so clearly etched in his memory. A look of mingled fear and surprise on his godfather's face as he fell - back - through the ragged veil.

A tear ran down Harry's sweaty face. It was still very warm in the stuffy room and his sweat-soaked shirt was clinging to him as he shivered slightly.

'There has to be some reason, other than my own stupidity. I had such an awful time keeping my emotions under control. Surely it's not solely the fact that I'm a teenager. Something . . . Anything . . .' Harry desperately sought an answer. A single word formed in his mind but it made no sense at all. Chocolate.

"For heaven sake," aunt Petunia said with disgust looking around the room and then at Harry. "Don't you have enough brains to open a window," she quipped crossing the room and opening the window.

Harry hadn't heard her come in and twitched in surprise as his aunt surveyed him before snapping some orders.

"Get yourself cleaned up, put on some clean clothes, and come downstairs. Your uncle and I want to talk to you. You've received a letter in the post and we want to talk to you about it." She turned on her heels and left, leaving the door open.

Half and hour later Harry made his way down to the living room and took a chair opposite his aunt Petunia and his cousin Dudley sitting on the sofa, his uncle Vernon in an easy chair to Harry's left. Harry thought It odd how they were all very interested in him. Harry saw an open envelope on the coffee table. It was a pale green envelope addressed in crisp print to himself. Gold embossed print adorned the return address but before Harry could read it uncle Vernon was interrogating him.

"What's this about? This letter, and what's Gingots Bank, I've never heard of such a bank."

"How should I know what it's about. You've obviously already read my mail. Why don't you tell me. And it's not Gingots it's Gringotts." Harry glanced at the return address again and it was indeed from Gringotts. "It's a wiz . . ." Harry paused before saying it was a wizard bank run by goblins. "It's the bank where I have my money. You know, you dropped me off once so I could go get some - last summer."

"You're staying in this house gives us every right to read whatever comes in the regular post," sniffed aunt Petunia. "What about this -"

"Estate," cut in his uncle. "This Black Estate, and the reading of a will."

Harry was caught completely off guard, he had been so absorbed in Sirius's death that he had not given a single thought to a will.

"I . . . suppose . . . it's my godfather's estate. A will? I saw him - I saw him just before he died. It was about the middle of June." Harry knew the precise date but didn't want to say it. He quickly took the opened envelope from the table trying to forget the lump that had suddenly formed in his throat.

To the Honorable,

Harry James Potter

You are requested to be present at the reading of will, the late Sirius Arden Black. The Noble House of Black estate will be divided amongst the named heirs. The reading will be held Wednesday at 3:00 pm, July 17, 1996 - Reading Room J-3, Gringotts Bank. Please note that no wands are allowed in the reading room.

Please respond promptly upon receipt of this letter. Correspondence has also been sent by normal means. A Gringotts representative will be sent upon non-response.

Dedit,

Goblin in Charge of Readings

"Does this mean you'll be inheriting some kind of - estate?" asked uncle Vernon.

"Are you going to be rich Harry?" Dudley asked apprehensively.

'Leave it to Dudley to ask what was on his and his parent's minds,' Harry thought.

"Now what would his lot have that could be of any value to normal people?" huffed uncle Vernon.

This was a bit much for Harry who replied in a nonchalant manner. "I dunno, I always thought gold and silver were of value to most people." Just as soon as Harry said it, he regretted it. The Dursley's eyes bulged as they gawked at him. It occurred to Harry what was happening. His only surviving relatives, sitting in front of him, were thinking there ordered little world might be upset. They had always put great value on wealth and material possessions and had treated Harry so dreadful all these years. Now they might find themselves having less money than Harry. Harry figured that he already had more money than they did because of what his mum and dad had left him. But he had avoided saying as such, and they accepted the assumption that he was near penniless without question. Now, however, there was the open possibility he was heir to an estate. Harry could only guess that it was a sizeable estate, since Sirius had bought him a Firebolt. It was rumored that if you had to asked how much a Firebolt broom cost, you couldn't afford it. Then again, maybe Sirius spent the last of his estate on it. He really didn't know and it galled him to think like this because what he really wanted more than anything was to have Sirius back, alive.

"I honestly don't know if there's any money involved. I don't know if I'm heir to much of anything. I do know there's a house involved."

"Ah ha! That means you'll be leaving our house and our presence very soon then. No more ruddy owls, no more strange people showing up uninvited in our house," exclaimed uncle Vernon rubbing his thick hands together.

Harry glanced at his aunt Petunia. His aunt knew precisely why Harry had stayed with them all these years. It was because of Dumbledore and the protection he had placed upon the house, his only surviving family's house. It was for Harry' protection. Voldemort or his followers could not touch him here, as long as he stayed here long enough to call it home. He had never mentioned to his aunt that he now knew this. She only gazed at him briefly before quipping.

"That would be welcome indeed. And I dare say you'd only be staying one more summer in any case."

Harry had the urge to stand up and tell them he'd be glad to leave right now, but he'd catch so much flak from everyone he knew that he decided against it. Instead, he addressed the more immediate concern as to how he was going to get to London for the reading of the will.
"I had best respond to this." He waved the letter from Gringotts in his hand. "I know you don't like uninvited guests and a Gringotts representative showing up may not be a pleasant experience. They're not human." Harry paused letting the full meaning sink in, and when they all gasped, it was all he could do to keep from grinning malevolently at them. Harry got up to go back to his room, to find quill and parchment. He turned before leaving the room.

"I don't think not showing up for one of these things is a good idea. If I don't show up, they will likely come here for a one-on-one reading. Never met a goblin have you?" Harry remembered how Hagrid had described them the first time he had taken Harry to Gringotts Bank. "They're not the friendliest sort."

"By the way, is there any chance I could get a ride to London on the seventeenth?" Harry didn't wait for a response. He turned away, headed upstairs, and allowed himself a smirk in private.

The ride into London to be dropped off near the Leaky Cauldron entrance was the usual treatment for Harry - they treated him as though he didn't exist. Harry didn't mind though, he didn't feel much like talking anyway and listening to his aunt and uncle reveal over their dolt of a son made him nauseous anyway. It was much easier to ignore them as they ignored him. He had been looking out the window of the car not thinking and not really looking, a kind of thoughtless stupor.

"Boy, are you listening to me? We're here," uncle Vernon said gruffly. "How long will this take anyway?"

"I'm not sure, I've never been to a - reading."

"We'll be back here at half past five then. And if you want a ride back you had better be here." Uncle Vernon forcefully pointed his finger downward.

"Er, okay."

Harry got out and made his way through the Leaky Cauldron as inconspicuously as possible. Tom, the bartender, was bent down behind the bar and hadn't seen Harry to call out his name for everyone to hear and Harry was pleased not to be goggled at. He found his way to Gringotts and found a smartly dressed goblin that growled to assist him.

"Harry Potter to hear a reading of will, Reading Room J Three."

"Very well, follow me."

The goblin lead him up a curved staircase with red carpet to an upper floor and a door; a heavy dark oak door, with Reading Room J-3 in neat gold letters on it. The goblin knocked on the door three times which opened of its own accord and motioned Harry to go in. Harry walked in as the door shut itself behind him. Familiar faces around a large polished ebony table greeted him; Tonks, Remus, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were all standing about when Harry entered. Weak and solemn hellos called out to him. Tonks now had shoulder length jet-black hair that curved gently from her face. Her eyes were puffy and she held out a hand to him. She hugged him tightly and made a noise as though to say something but all that came out was "Harry". She sat down and dabbed at her eyes with a handkerchief. Remus, looking sad, made his way from the other side of the table and shook hands with Harry. Remus automatically passed the fiery phoenix image and Harry returned it. Mrs. Weasley seemed anxious to look him over and judging from her expression was less than satisfied.

"You don't look like you've been eating well," she said putting her hand to his cheek before giving him a motherly hug. Harry didn't think Mrs. Weasley should fuss over him so much but part of him didn't mind.

"All right there Harry?" asked Mr. Weasley as his wife finally let go of Harry. Mr. Weasley's face looked solemn, very much like Remus', a look of having lost friends before. Harry wondered if he had the same look on his own face and realized he wasn't feeling a whole lot of anything at the moment.

The door opened, a gnarly looking old goblin entered carrying a leather bound folder and accompanied by a younger looking goblin, obviously an assistant. The assistant goblin was carrying a stone basin with rune lettering. It looked like a miniature version of the pensive bowl he had seen in Dumbledore and Snape's offices. Panic rose in Harry's chest as the assistant goblin lifted the bowl head height and slid it onto the black polished table. He then pulled out a step stool for the older goblin to step up into a high plush chair. The younger goblin left as the one seated addressed them all in a matter of fact business tone.

"Please be seated."

As they all sat down the door gave a squelching sound.

"My name is Krepper, I will be your reader for today. This is a private reading and I am magically bound not to repeat or reveal anything that transpires or in connection herewith. My assistant Jansap has sealed the door." Krepper unwound a string and opened the folder with his wrinkled hands and claw like fingernails.

Harry was still fighting the panic that had been mounting as he stared at the miniature stone bowl. He wasn't sure what he had expected at the reading of a will but now, looking at the silvery liquid in the bowl, he was fairly sure he would soon see a ghostly image of Sirius rise up from it.

'Okay, I can handle this. It would be more of a shock if I had never seen a pensive or how it worked,' he thought to himself. Krepper cleared his throat and read from a piece of parchment.

"I Sirius Arden Black do hereby leave my estate to the following. Nymphadora Tonks, I leave 150,000 galleons." Tonks gasped in shock but the reading continued. "Arthur and Molly Weasley I leave 150,000 galleons." Mr. and Mrs. Weasley looked stunned. "Remus Lupin I leave 250,000 galleons." Remus' finger twitched on the table but he betrayed no other emotion. "The remainder of my estate, including the Black residence, I leave to my Godson, Harry James Potter."

"The deceased wished to speak to the heirs." The goblin reached out to the bowl and stroked the rim with a long yellow fingernail attached to a crooked finger. Harry's stomach knotted up as an opaque semi transparent image of Sirius' head formed and grew up out of the pensive. It reminded Harry of the times Sirius had appeared in the Gryffindor fireplace and he relaxed slightly as he exhaled shakily. He hadn't realized he'd been holding his breath.

"If you are hearing and seeing this then it means I've managed to get myself killed. I hope it was in a blaze of glory rather than bound up by some Ministry fools. I likely would not have had this will drawn up if not for Dumbledore's urging. He said it was better to be prepared and think of those who might be left behind. I found I couldn't disagree. Here goes."

"Tonks, my dear cousin, I've left you a little something to get you by till the right man comes along. Trust me, he will. You just have to keep an eye out for him." Sirius winked. Tonks gave a brave trembling smile and closed her eyes in grief.

"Arthur, Molly, I know we've had our disagreements - mainly over Harry. But I always knew it came from the heart and never held it against you. Always too proud to accept a helping hand while I was alive -you can't argue with me now." Sirius gave a wry smile.

"Remus my friend, I've left you a bit extra. Maybe you'll finally get some new robes. More blasted proud than Arthur and Molly - and that's saying a lot." Sirius' head leaned back and laughed. Mrs. Weasley had a fleeting look of protest, but sadness washed over her face quickly.

Harry's heart swelled at hearing Sirius laugh. He hadn't realized how much he had missed it though and he had only heard him a laugh a few times. Now, he would never hear it again.

"And now for you Harry." A semi-transparent hand came up and moved some unruly hair from Sirius' face. "Whatever may have happened Harry, I want you to know I'm an adult and the decisions I have made were my own."

"Now that I've got that out of the way, I'd like you to know my wishes concerning the house. I would like the present use of the house to continue, and I would also like Tonks to feel she can make use of the house as a home away from home as she needs. Lord knows there's more than enough room. Though it's difficult to imagine why anyone would want to stay in the dreary place. Of course, the decision is yours, but at least you know my wishes."

"There is one more thing I need to address. There is the issue of guardianship, God forbid the Dursley's be your sole guardians. I think we need to make sure that doesn't happen. In our world, magical guardianship takes a precedence over non-magical. Remus was my original choice, but he argued that a werewolf would not be seen as a much better choice than a muggle. The Weasley's were my second choice but Molly can be very protective and your situation is unique. Yes, Dumbledore told me. There are some difficult and dangerous things that may yet need to be done on your part. My third choice was Tonks, though I dearly love my cousin I was afraid she might be a bit too lenient." Sirius grinned. "The solution was to make all three parties hold joint guardianship. I've been told this is quite legal even if it is unusual." Sirius paused as though finding the next words difficult to say.

"I've let you down again Harry. I don't know what else to say except - Let your heart be your guide and love be your strength." It looked like Sirius was struggling to say anything more and sighed heavily before adding a last comment.

"By the way Tonks, keep an eye on that situation we talked about and be ready to lend some advice if Harry should need any." Sirius nodded once and said, "Goodbye Harry - forgive me." His disembodied head shrank into the pensive. Everything was deafeningly silent and Harry almost jumped as Krepper dug into his folder. Mr. Weasley slid a kerchief his way. Harry wondered why until he realized his face was wet. Harry was surprised, he hadn't been aware that he had shed any tears.

"Thanks," Harry said softly. He wiped his face and slid the kerchief back.

"These are receipts of your inheritance. I see that according to my records everyone here has a vault at Gringotts. The amounts have already been moved to your personal vaults.

"Mister Potter, here is your receipt and title to the Black estate."

Harry glanced at the amount - 9.4 Million Galleons. His mouth fell open and hung there, even as Krepper passed him a large and very ornate brass key on a silver tray.

"The key to the Black estate."

Harry reached out and took it.

"Ow!" Harry yelped. "It bit me!" Almost dropping it Harry was determined, and gripped it tightly hoping to give the key some discomfort. It only struggled a bit more before becoming docile.

Krepper gave a nasty grin. "Master Potter will have an interesting time taming his new house."

Harry wasn't sure whether the goblin thought the key biting him was humorous or whether taming an unruly house might be fun. In either case Harry didn't think it was funny or something to look forward to.

Harry found himself in the Leaky Cauldron sipping on a butter beer. Remus had bought a round for everyone and had tipped off Tom that Harry was not in the mood for attention. The group was quiet; there was a definite lack of conversation, which suited Harry. Sirius' goodbye and asking forgiveness, when it wasn't his fault, left a tight feeling around Harry's heart. Harry knew it was his fault that Sirius was gone.

"Why don't you spend the night at headquarters Harry," suggested Remus.

"Yes, why don't you dear. I'll fix something you like for dinner. Anything strike your fancy?" asked Mrs. Weasley.

Harry shook his head. "Nothing sounds very appetizing. But the night away from the Dursley's sounds good." Harry's feelings were raw and he didn't want to risk his aunt, uncle, or cousin sending him over the top.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley apparated to headquarters while Tonks and Remus accompanied Harry to inform the Dursley's. Tonks and Remus had changed into more appropriate muggle clothes to blend in and help Harry get to headquarters by less magical means, a taxi and walking the last few blocks.

The Dursley's looked sorely disappointed that he would only be gone one night. But spending the night at the Black house was not Harry's idea of the ideal get away. Even though he had never been on one, a vacation sounded nice. The Dursley's always left him with Mrs. Figg.

The ride by taxi was quiet and Harry entertained thoughts of a vacation. Where he might go, what he might do.

'Maybe a place secluded and scenic,' Harry thought. 'Maybe some quiet time followed by some action, activity, company.' Hermione suddenly came to mind and he fought to push her out. The last thing he wanted was to put her or Ron, or anyone, in any more danger. In addition, the pact he made with Hermione was still unresolved. They had decided to test what they felt for each other with one more kiss at the end of the school year but so much had happened. It all seemed like another lifetime ago. Still, he felt something for her. 'I can't - the prophecy, the danger, what might happen if . . .' he struggled with the confusion in his head.

All his jumbled thoughts evaporated upon seeing Ron and Ginny again. He was definitely glad to see them but his mood was still somber and the evening meal was quiet. There was polite conversation around the table with Ron and Ginny glancing at Harry afraid to say much. Evidently, there was another meeting of the Order after dinner and Harry found himself wondering what was going on in the fight against Voldemort. Then he had an entirely different thought.

"Where's Kreacher?" Harry asked Ron and Ginny darkly.

"Oh, I forgot to tell you mate. Well, the foul beast must have thought he was going to stay here. He -"

"He's gone?" Harry gasped. "But all the things he knows -"

"He's dead," said Ginny flatly. "Mad Eye did it while mum was out."

"I was going to get to that." Ron frowned at Ginny. "Anyway, Kreacher must have thought the portrait of Mrs. Black was real or something, nutters. Didn't seem to register that after the last Black was gone he might be free or be in service to you. It was an awful scene when he finally figured it out."

"The wailing he made - kept trying to hurt himself," Ginny shuddered at the thought but Harry felt it was not more than Kreacher deserved. Harry was glad he was dead.

"That's only the half of it," Ron continued. "Kreacher demanded that his head be mounted on the wall with his other ancestors and would accept nothing less than a wizard oath or he would tell everything he knew about the Order. Moody agreed."

"Mounted his head on a plaque, and put it on the wall?" Harry asked incredulous.

"Well, he had to didn't he. He swore a wizard oath."

"Problem was when they tried to take it down. They couldn't get it off. Mum was not happy when she found out." Ginny furrowed her brows giving a striking resemblance of her mother about to tell someone off. "Remus seems to think it's the house that won't let it go. He said something about the key to the house might force it to let go."

"I've got the key to the house," Harry said matter of factly.

"You do? That means you -."

"Own the house?" Ginny finished for Ron.

"Apparently," Harry said with a sullen tone. "Come on. Let's see if it does any good."

Just as Ron and Ginny told him, Kreacher's head was mounted on the wall with his other ancestors. Harry looked at the lifeless head of Kreacher and loathed it. He also felt a rising wave of disgust. The whole tradition of mounting house-elf heads was disgusting. It was time to change and Harry figured he was the one to do it. Harry dug into a folder he had carried around with him since the reading of the will and rummaged between papers. Upon finding the key, he grasped it firmly. He hadn't forgotten how the key had bit him earlier; there was still a small gouge in his hand between his index finger and thumb. Harry held out the key in front of him not quite sure what to do with it, partially to show Ron and Ginny.

"Gaudy looking isn't it," said Ginny.

Ron extended a hand with the intention of looking it over more closely.

"Careful, it bites," said Harry.

"Uh? Oh, you keep it then." Ron pulled his hand back quickly looking balefully at the key in Harry's hand.

Harry looked at Ron and Ginny and shrugged before turning his attention to the mounted heads squeezing the key tightly.

"Let go of these heads," he said in an even tone, not sure what to expect.

The key grew suddenly warm and squirmed as the house itself spoke in a deep, barely audible, tone.

"No."

"I said - let go." Harry was resolutely determined as the key went from feeling warm to hot. Harry closed his eyes as the key wriggled in his hand. The thought of Umbridge and her quill flashed through his mind. He would not be denied, the house would accept his wishes.

"I am the master of this house. Yield." His eyes still closed, he heard Ron and Ginny gasp as he was sure the key was bent almost double trying to bite him again.

The key became cool and rigid as over a dozen thuds on wood made Harry open his eyes. Every mounted head had dropped to the floor leaving outlines of where they had once been hanging, except for Kreacher's which had been freshly mounted.

"I wondered what you three were up to. The main part of the meeting is over and I've got some news." Mrs. Weasley surveyed the pile of broken and mangled house-elf heads littered along the wall. "Thank you Harry. I'm glad to see someone is making things better around here, rather than worse." With a wave of her wand she transfigured the lot into a bunch of old chicken bones, levitated the whole mess and whisked everything out the back door into the garbage bin in the alley.

"As I was saying, I have some news. Ron, Ginny, we're going on vacation ."

"Really?"

"Where? Romania?"

"No, Egypt. Bill, will go with us. We'll leave Saturday afternoon by chartered yacht."

Ron and Ginny were suitably impressed. Harry could see the excitement stirring in them and their mother. Harry thought a vacation would be wonderful as Ron asked the very question on his mind.

"Can Harry come with us?"

"No," she said slowly. "Dumbledore has something else in mind for Harry." She evidently saw the disappointment on Harry's face as she turned to him smiling. "He'll tell you a little later, dear, after he speaks with the rest of the members that couldn't make it to the main meeting."

"Can Hermione come with us?" asked Ginny hopefully.

"No," she said slowly again. "I believe Hermione has other plans. However, there is a group in the kitchen." Mrs. Weasley paused, as though she wasn't sure what she was about to say was a good idea. "There's a group gathered in the kitchen. They intend to have a toast in honor of Sirius - a fallen comrade. I've agreed . . . . to let you all have a glass of dandelion wine. A small glass mind you. And did I mention - that Hagrid is here?"

"He is?" Ron and Ginny said together and took off as one, Harry in there wake. But Mrs. Weasley held him back.

"You don't have to go if you don't feel up to it Harry. They would all understand."

"N-no, I want to," Harry stuttered.

Hagrid was indeed there, towering above everyone in the kitchen holding a cup the size of a small bucket. He beamed as Harry came into the kitchen.

" 'arry, good to see ya. Wish ya had written more. I'm fine was a bit short." Hagrid winked amongst the murmuring agreement.

"Sorry," Harry said sheepishly. The room was fairly packed. It looked like half the Order had crowded in, some sitting, the rest standing, all holding a cup, a mug, or glass. Mr. Weasley handed Harry a slender wine glass half full of a faint yellow tinted liquid. He noticed Ron and Ginny had similar glasses, filled only a quarter of the way. He took position standing between them.

Remus stood, others who had been sitting followed suit and stood also. Remus held up his glass.

"To Sirius, my dear friend. As long as you are remembered you are never truly gone and will always be with us."

"To Sirius they all echoed." Glasses clinked, mugs and cups clanked. Everyone trying not to break whatever they had against Hagrid's bucket sized mug of something brown with foam.

Dandelion wine, it was stronger and sweeter than regular juice. The feelings he had barely managed to keep under control during the reading of the will earlier in the day were once again threatening to overtake him. Those that could, sat down. Harry sat down on the bench with Ron and Ginny on either side.

Harry was glad that his emotions were still in check and then it happened - so suddenly. All the guilt, shame and remorse that he had kept bottled up for so many weeks, poured out.

"It's my fault!" he yelled. "It's all my fault!" He leaned over onto the table with his fists clenched and held tightly to his temples. His elbows dug in hard to the tabletop as he sobbed and shook uncontrollably. He couldn't see, he couldn't stop, the embarrassment of being like this in front of everyone made the room feel ten degrees warmer. A deep rasping breath and he thought he might convulse his soul out onto the table for everyone to see. Time was lost and he wasn't sure how long he had sobbed before becoming aware of someone speaking his name softly.

"Harry . . . Harry dear. He wouldn't want you to feel this way."

Slowly he became aware Mrs. Weasley had spoke to him, her hand stroking his unruly hair on top of his head. He felt Ginny's head buried into his shoulder and Ron's hand on his arm in support. His shaking subsided and he took long slow breaths instead of racking sobs. Finally, he relaxed lowering his hands onto the table, but not looking up. Everything was a blur, with or without his glasses. He took them off and found a kerchief offered to him from somewhere.

"Here, I'll clean those for you dear." He felt Mrs. Weasley take them.

The room felt like it was cooling off rapidly, the embarrassment still warm on his face. He dried his face and straightened, Ginny and Ron giving him room.

"There you are." Mrs. Weasley handed back his glasses. She hugged him from behind and kissed him on top of his head. "Better now?" she asked.

The kiss on top of his head only seemed to add to his acutely mounting embarrassment.

"Y-yeah," he said still not looking up from the table after putting on his glasses. "S-sorry," he said apologetically.

"Nothing to be sorry fer," came Hagrid's deep voice followed by a tremendous sniff.

Harry looked up to see Hagrid wipe an eye with his left sleeve. As he looked around, he found a number or eyes being wiped or dabbed at, and those that weren't were bright.

"You know Harry," Tonks voice quavered before going on. "I loved Sirius like an older brother. Molly is right Harry, he wouldn't want you to feel this way. No one here blames you."

There were nods of agreement with "That's right, he wouldn't" and "You're not to blame."

An awkward silence followed before Hagrid cleared his throat.

"Ah remember a time when Sirius, James, and you Remus." Hagrid patted Remus on the back. Luckily Remus had quickly put down his glass and braced himself against the table in anticipation when he heard Hagrid say his name. "The three of you had decided to try and talk to the giant squid in the lake. Ya were firs' years if ah remember right. Though' it would be impressive to yer classmates I 'spose. Well, after ya had nicked one o' the boats ya managed to capsize it. Seems James had neglected to mention he did na know how to swim. I guess a bit o' panic later and James learnt to swim real fast. It was either that or sink to tha bottom like a stone an' run like 'ell." Hagrid chuckled at the alternative method.

"Actually Hagrid, it turned out that none of us knew how to swim. It was just that Sirius and I took to the dog paddle quite naturally." Remus eyed the ceiling as everyone laughed and Harry smiled gratefully.

The stories continued, people drifting in and out. Most were leaving but a few came in after talking with Dumbledore. Harry got sparing refills of dandelion wine under the watchful eye of Mrs. Weasley. Refills that he promptly shared with Ron and Ginny, their glasses appearing under the table next to him when their mum was distracted.

"It's getting late. Ron, Ginny, time for bed and I suspect you've had more than enough dandelion wine." Ron and Ginny protested immediately but were overruled. "Harry won't be up much later either. Isn't that right?" She cast an eye at Remus and Tonks who readily agreed.

Soon Remus, Tonks and Harry were all that were left. Harry remembered something Sirius had said during the reading of the will.

"What did Sirius mean that you might have to give me advice about something?" Harry asked Tonks.

"Doesn't appear that you need any advice just yet now does it." Tonks gave him a cryptic smile and changed the subject. "Remus you remember Sarah Campbell don't you?"

"Of course, how could I forget. Sirius and Sarah were almost inseparable. She was as reckless and daring as he was. Two kindred souls it seemed but something happened. There was a spat of some sort, just before Sirius was imprisoned. I never did hear what it was about, so much had happened."

"It was over a love potion."

"Really? I didn't think Sirius would do such a thing. From the way things were going I wouldn't have thought he needed one."

"It wasn't Sirius. It was Sarah."

"Oh my," said Remus taking a sip of his drink. "Now I see. Sirius felt trapped, betrayed, and uncertain of how he really felt about her."

"Exactly." Tonks looked at Remus and then glanced at Harry. Remus raised an eyebrow in question and after a moment of thought took another sip of his drink.

"Well, well, isn't that interesting," Remus said thoughtfully looking at his glass.

Harry felt like he was being examined but didn't want to say anything and remained silent.

"I think I'll turn in. It's been a rough day." Remus and Tonks both said goodnight and just before Harry turned away Remus asked.

"Any better there Harry?"

Harry thought about it. His feelings and emotions were like a festering wound that had been freshly cleaned and still smarted, but there was a promise of healing even if it left a deep scar.

"Better," he said truthfully. "Thanks."

Harry tiptoed carefully down the hallway so as not to wake the portrait of Sirius' mother.

'Hold on,' he thought to himself. 'I see no reason to put up with this anymore.' He pulled out his wand and cast a concealment spell on the hallway. He slowly pocketed his wand and stared at the drawn curtains covering the portrait of Sirius' mother, Mrs. Black. He cleared his mind, the effect of the wine seemed to make it easier to do, helped him to focus all his powerful emotions that he had been suppressing, holding back. Anger, frustration, pain - it all stirred within the depths of Harry's being. With deliberate motion, he raised a foot and stomped the floor hard. Immediately the curtains flew open revealing the taunt wide-eyed form of Mrs. Black. Her hands were opening and closing ready to claw at the offender.

"YOU!" she shrieked. "You are the reason the Blacks have come to an end. Vile filth . . ." Other portraits started shouting as well, at Mrs. Black or Harry, he wasn't sure and didn't' care. The hallway was engulfed in chaos. Harry's focus narrowed on the ever-moving mouth and yellowing teeth of Mrs. Black, the veins in her neck showing as she continued her verbal onslaught.

The steady flow of shrieking obscenities faded even as her mouth kept moving. Harry knew that she was still screaming but he didn't really hear. He slowly raised his hands as wind swept whirlwind like through the hallway and intensified. The faces on the other portraits turned from outrage to shock. Harry raised his hands higher, palms turned up. Harry felt strong, energy coursing through his body. He knew all he had to do was focus where it went. He brought his hands in front of him and pulled, a magical connection to the portrait at the end of the hall. If not for the concealment spell there would have been an ear-splitting wrenching tearing sound throughout the house as the portrait of Mrs. Black lurched forward. The other portraits were the only witnesses and they might have thought half the wall had come out with the portrait of Mrs. Black, but only a faded rectangle remained behind where it had been pulled free and was now levitating in midair.

'Incendio Totalus,' Harry thought as he brought his hands sharply together. The portrait burst into flame and with a final scream from Mrs. Black turned into a small swirling pile of ash on the floor.

Harry felt he was being watched, and not by any of portraits whose occupants were scurrying and trying to hide. He had just done wandless magic and knew Dumbledore had wanted him to keep it a secret. He turned to face whoever it was, deftly reaching for his wand as he did so. A dozen faces flashed in Harry's mind as he turned, Ron, Ginny, Mrs. Weasley . . . He was ready to tell whoever it was that he had had his wand all along, that they were mistaken, that no one could do controlled wandless magic.

"Yes, I believe the house will be much more quiet now." Dumbledore stood in the hallway looking at Harry over his half-moon glasses. He was wearing a burgundy and dark grey wizard robe decorated with silver dragons and unicorns with matching dark grey pointed hat and smiling benignly at Harry.

"Ah, I see the carpet needs cleaning, Scourgify" he said waving his wand. The small pile of ash disappeared. "Now, if you decide not to take credit for removing the portrait you can say truthfully that I polished it off. That's the draw back of using wandless magic, how to describe or teach what you've done. At least that's one you won't have to write down at the end of summer holiday." Dumbledore winked.

It was amazing to Harry how Dumbledore could casually talk about wandless magic when Dumbledore and himself were possibly the only two in the world who could do it.

"Write down?"

"Your requirement to the exception from the Restriction of Underage Sorcery."

"Right, I forgot."

"No matter, we have things to discuss. I suppose an empty room will suffice and removal of your concealment spell is also in order." Dumbledore waved his hand up and down the hallway and then again at a nearby door that opened. "Dear me, I seem to have forgotten to use my wand," he said apologetically his eyes twinkling. Harry however, didn't think he had forgotten at all and grinned. Dumbledore took out his wand and waved it in the darkened room. Old-fashioned gas lamps hissed and sprang to life along the walls. The room was a study. There was a table with several chairs and a wall full of dusty old books.

"Have a seat Harry. I thought you might like to find out what's been going on with the Ministry and the Order. Or more to the point, what has not been going on." Dumbledore took a chair across the small table from Harry. "First, the Ministry has refused to clear the name of Sirius Black."

"What!" Harry raged. "What do you mean? Why not?" Harry's blood began to boil, his face felt hot.

"Politics," Dumbledore said flatly. "They have accepted his death because of the many witnesses that saw him fall through the veil hanging from the arch in the Death Chamber." Dumbledore had a pained expression as he said this but went on. "The admission of mistakes is seen as sign of weakness by the current Ministry. Cornelius and those that surround him have conceded that Voldemort is back only because the Minister has seen Voldemort in person and they need an excuse for losing control of the Dementors at Azkaban. It is too much for them to admit that Sirius was innocent, which would also bring to light that he was imprisoned without a trial. Something I was not aware of at the time. Such an admission would lead to the fact that Peter Pettigrew is still alive."

"But it's all true," Harry pleaded.

"Yes, it is. However, those with greed and thirst for power who are also in positions of authority are not always interested in truth. It is because of the Ministry's reluctance to embrace these truths, and take action, that the Order has refused to be completely open with the Ministry. We have been cooperative of course but have been reluctant to say who our members are, or where headquarters is."

Harry's mind was reeling. 'How could the Ministry be so stupid, stubborn, and reckless,' Harry thought to himself. It seemed unbelievable.

"There is also the fact that Voldemort and his followers have become dormant in their activities. I believe they are attempting to take advantage of a small but growing sentiment that the Ministry has been tricked into publicly stating that Voldemort has returned.

"Now that you mention it I haven't had any dreams or feelings from Voldemort for over a month."

Dumbledore nodded.

"Yes, as I suspected. However, the Order must not be idle. We have decided to seek allies, allies we can trust. And this is where you can help Harry." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Would you be interested in a vacation?"

"What - when - where?"

"I would rather not say until it is time for you to go."

"Being kept in the dark again am I," Harry said sarcastically.

Dumbledore only looked at him with patient clear blue eyes.

"You are a bit of a security risk because of your link to Voldemort. I deem it to be my fault you did not finish your Occlumency lessons. A fault I intend to take care of personally when the new term begins."

"Sorry," Harry said apologetically feeling small. Dumbledore was dismissive and continued.

"This coming Tuesday evening I want you to discreetly leave your trunk in your aunt and uncle's flower bed by no later than ten o'clock. Your trunk will be taken, in advance, to your method of transportation. You will need to keep your wand and your invisibility cloak. Wednesday, the following day, you will make your way to Arabella Figg's house using your cloak. She will not be there but the back door will be unlocked long enough for you to enter. At precisely noon, you will use her fireplace and call out Bandon Warehouse. A connection to the Order will give you a ten second window to use the Floo Network undetected. You will meet an Order member when you emerge from your destination fireplace and they will give you further instructions."

"How much money will I need? What clothes should I wear for where I'm going?"

"Proper attire will be provided and a little spending money should be in order. It is a vacation after all, try to enjoy yourself, you deserve some time away," Dumbledore smiled. "A few more things to complete arrangements, hold out your watch please." Dumbledore tapped Harry's watch with his wand. Harry noticed the big hand jump ahead several minutes. "That's to make sure your watch is precisely in sync with our contact manipulating the Floo Network for this operation. A ten second window of opportunity leaves little margin for error. And -" Dumbledore reached into his robe and pulled out a passport putting it on the table for Harry. Harry opened it to find his name, address and a bespectacled picture of himself - green eyes and messy hair.

"But how? Is it real? Does this mean I'm going out of the country?" Harry felt a surge of excitement. He had never been abroad.

"A few muggle connections to the Order helped make it possible, and a bit of magic for the picture. All is in proper order and it is quite real." Dumbledore must have seen Harry's excitement but didn't answer the question of traveling abroad, his white beard and mustache puffed up hiding a grin as his only answer. "Be sure to keep your wand, cloak, passport and some spending money before leaving. The rest has all been arranged. It's getting late, past midnight I believe, and I would like you to have a clear mind before you sleep. Perhaps you would join me in a cup of something special."

Dumbledore waved his wand. Two clear glasses appeared along with an old corked bottle. The bottle was ornate with clear, green and amber glass. The colors and shapes of the glass decorating the bottle made Harry think of peaches hanging from branches. He uncorked the bottle with a pop and poured out a creamy brown liquid.

"A light cream, mixed with the juice of perfectly ripened apricots, chocolate syrup, a dash of nutmeg and few drops of potion to help clear the mind of an emotionally stressful day, and other lingering influences." Dumbledore paused looking thoughtful over his half-moon glasses as he and Harry took hold of their glasses. "Are you up to one last toast?" Dumbledore asked.

"Sure." Harry sighed inwardly as he lifted his glass to meet Dumbledore's with a gentle clink of glass.

"To Sirius."

"To Sirius," echoed Harry. They both paused reflecting, and Harry could have swore clear blue eyes brightened briefly.

"Bottoms up," said Dumbledore.