Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

"Crookshanks, you bad cat," she said in a playful scolding whisper. "What are you doing on Harry's bed? You always sleep on my bed. Bothering Harry. You know, I could get jealous," as she picked up her cat. Holding Crookshanks in her arms she looked at Harry sleeping. He looked so peaceful and she knew he had been through so much. She leaned over to kiss him lightly on the cheek just as Crookshanks started purring. Harry turned in his sleep and she kissed him on the lips instead. With a small gasp she turned to scurry away, but not before Harry woke up.

Some sound had made Harry stir and then he felt a warm breath. He opened his eyes. Without the aid of his glasses all he could see was the silhouette of someone with bushy hair. "Hermione?" he said groggily. He was trying to remember where he was, the Granger's and, had Hermione just kissed him? He stretched out his hand to the bushy haired silhouette that seemed to be purring. "Hermione?" he asked again.

Hermione reached out to touch Harry's hand. Her own hand was trembling a little. "Sorry to wake you," she whispered. "I came to get Crookshanks from bothering you".

"Thanks for being a friend," he said. She squeezed his hand and hurried off without saying anything. Harry lay there trying to recall a sleepy, dreamlike memory of a warm breath and touch on the lips.

Being an only child has its advantages, like not having to share a bathroom with anybody. As was her normal routine; a groggy and half asleep Hermione trudged down the hallway from her bedroom to the bathroom. Her eyes were barely open and her bare feet moved slowly, almost dragging on the carpet. She had the usual 'pillow hair' some of her curly brown hair was hanging down in her face while more was pushed up in back. She started pulling at her pajama top, one arm was free and the other with a hand still hanging in the sleeve. With her free hand she reached out and opened the bathroom door at the same moment the water came on. Shock. The kind you get when you wake up not quite sure where you're at or what you're looking at. A split second that seemed like forever as realization hit that she was looking at someone through textured glass bent over in her shower. She shut the door quickly, the running water covered the sound. She was definitely awake now, her hand still on the door knob and shaking, charged with the sudden transition in consciousness. In her mind it was dawning on her, 'Oh my God! I saw Harry's buns!'. She looked down at herself, half undressed, 'Oh my God!' and scurried back to her room closing the door and leaning against the back side. Hermione was blushing furiously and her mind was racing at all the possibilities of how that could have been really bad. It was bad enough. 'I don't think he noticed the door open. Oh, I wish dad had fixed the lock on the door….Cute buns. No, don't think about that', she told herself and blushed again biting her lower lip and stamping the floor with her foot. But it was difficult not to.

Breakfast was ready and Hermione was the last one to show up. Harry gave her an inquisitive look, she just smiled back. During breakfast there was conversation between David and Katherine about schedules and double checking that Hermione and Harry had everything they needed.

"Yes, I'll be helping Harry with his summer homework. We'll have sandwiches for lunch. Mum, do we still have any smoked ham left? Actually Harry has already made a lot of progress from yesterday. I think he might be done tomorrow. Pass the buns, I mean biscuits." The tips of Hermione's ears turned pink. She was thankful no one seemed to notice the subconscious slip.

Mr. and Mrs. Granger left for work at the dental office as Harry and Hermione went to the library. Harry immersed himself into his studies while Hermione continued with her personal project.

"Harry….earth to Harry….honestly." Hermione came up behind Harry leaning in close to his ear, "Harry, for the fifth time, are you going to eat your lunch?"

"What? Oh, is it lunch time already?"

"Harry, it's 2 o'clock. I don't think I've ever seen you study this hard. I brought you a sandwich and some milk. It's on the tray."

"Where's yours?"

Hermione gave Harry a look and said, "Harry, I ate mine two hours ago when I brought both of ours in."

"Er, okay, sorry, and thanks."

"You're welcome"

Harry had to admit, now that he wasn't concentrating on his studies, that he was a little hungry. Harry surveyed the table while eating lunch. It was an array of parchment, charts and books. He made a mental note to sharpen his quill after he ate. He wondered what on earth Hermione was working on. It looked complex to say the least. "Is that a letter from Professor Lupin?"

Hermione snatched it up. "It's Mr. Lupin or Remus Lupin now that he's no longer a Hogwarts teacher."

"What's the letter about?"

"It has to do with my project. He seemed the most logical person to ask. He was after all a brilliant teacher, wouldn't you agree?"

"Absolutely, but what do you need to ask him about your, um, project?"

Hermione gave him a blank look, but her eyes held excitement. "I promise to show you when it's done and not before-okay?"

"Sure, okay, no need to get touchy about it."

"Harry please, I'm not being touchy," she pleaded. "I just want it to be a surprise. And I don't want anyone else to, um, know about my project besides you and Ron."

Harry grinned. "Alright. When do you think you'll have it done?"

"Before Halloween," she said in an even tone, but with the same excitement in her eyes.

That evening Katherine cooked and Harry offered to help, but Katherine told Harry to help David set the table and that he could help Hermione with dishes after dinner. During dinner David and Katherine talked about their day, the root canal, the laborer that lost some teeth to a fellow worker, and their recent summer vacation to Scotland with Hermione. They noticed that Harry got quiet.

"What's wrong dear? You're awfully quiet all of a sudden," said Katherine.

"Really, it's nothing Mrs. Granger. I just…have never had a summer vacation except to stay with the Weasleys once. And of course I got to come here."

David and Katherine looked at each other briefly and changed the subject so that Hermione and Harry were talking about Hogwarts and the magic they've learned.

After dinner the table was cleared with Harry and Hermione doing dishes again while David and Katherine sipped some coffee at the table. Katherine had been eyeing the two teens when she said, "Come on David, let's take our coffee to the living room."

"Any particular reason we're in the living room?" just as some giggling was heard from the kitchen.

"Does that answer your question?" replied Katherine with an eyebrow raised.

"I suppose it does but how did you know?"

"I just happen to notice how they looked at each other as Harry put a dish in the drainer and Hermione reached for it before Harry had let go of it."

"Ahhh, I see."

Harry wasn't quite as tired when he retired to the guest bedroom and lay there thinking how everyone else seemed to have a family but him. The door pushed open just a few inches when once again Crookshanks slipped into Harry's room and onto his bed, but Harry didn't drift off to sleep right away. He heard footsteps coming down the hallway and the door push open.

Then a playful scolding whisper, "Crookshanks. You're starting to make a habit of this." Hermione picked up her cat.

Harry could feel Hermione looking at him while he pretended to be asleep. She leaned over to kiss him on the cheek, but he turned slightly and leaning up gave her a kiss instead. He had caught her completely by surprise. She was motionless until Crookshanks started purring. She gave a small giggle and hurried from the room.

The next morning at breakfast, almost every time Harry or Hermione would catch the eye of the other they would smile and look away. Just before David and Katherine left for work Hermione asked, "Mum, can Melanie come by this afternoon?"

"You two won't keep Harry from his studies will you? Besides I thought you were working on a personal project."

"She won't stay long and Harry's almost done. I can't do anything more with my project until I get to school. I need to put the magic touches to it and I'm not allowed to do magic outside Hogwarts."

"It'll be fine," she said, leaving a happy Hermione at the door.

Hermione liked how Harry had taken to his studies, his concentration, compared to last school year, was astounding. She figured he would finish his summer homework by this evening and would go to the Burrow in the morning. She thought it would be good for him and hoped he could spend the rest of the summer with the Weasley's. It would, after all, be a simple matter to drop in and see him by Floo.

"Harry, I brought you a sandwich and some milk….Harry….Harry." No reaction, she went around behind him to lean in and get his attention by talking in his ear. But with sudden inspiration, she kissed him on the cheek instead, then backed away slowly to watch his reaction. Nothing, but then a delayed reaction took place; he dropped his quill and blushed. Hermione started laughing, "I'm sorry Harry, but I was having a tough time getting your attention. Lunch is ready. Want a sandwich?"

"Uh, yeah, sure," he said still looking surprised.

After last night Hermione figured turnabout was fair play. Still laughing, "You okay Harry?"

"I'm fine, really", as the flush left his face and he realized she had gotten him back.

"Oh, Harry, my friend Melanie," she corrected herself, "my muggle friend, Melanie, will be coming over for a visit this afternoon. You wouldn't mind meeting her would you?"

"Not at all"

"Good -all she really knows about you is that we go to the same school together. A 'private' school up north. When I take her to my room you can go to the guest bedroom and I'll tell her that you're studying, and then you can slip back to the library. That sound okay?"

"Sounds okay to me."

Harry met Melanie, she was a little shorter and maybe slightly thinner than Hermione. She had light blonde hair that was almost straight but curled at the ends and her eyes were a stark blue. His impression of her could be summed up in one word, 'spry'. Everything worked out just as Hermione intended, which was usually the case Harry thought. It was, after all, important that Hermione's muggle friend not be aware of any magic in the house. After Melanie and Hermione went to her room, Harry went back to the library. He was quite sure he didn't want to know anything about their girl talk. He would have been right.

"Hermione! Harry is just the cutest! That messy hair, and those green eyes are just to die for. I've never seen anyone with such green eyes. Oh, can I go to your school? Are there any more like him? Is he taken?"

Hermione giggled, "Whoa, slow down there girl. I thought you had a boyfriend. What's his name, Bradley? I agree Harry is cute and not just his adorable face."

"Oh Bradley was two months ago. And don't stall. Is Harry going out with anyone?" Melanie paused, "Hey, wait a minute. What do you mean by that- 'not just his adorable face' ?"

Hermione rolled her eyes and absent mindedly turned a pillow over in her hands as she told Melanie about the 'almost' shower incident. Hermione blushed and giggled burying her face in the pillow as she finished.

Melanie's jaw dropped and she looked at her long time friend in surprise. "Hermione Granger, I can't believe it. You really like Harry don't you? All this time I thought you had the hots for this Ron guy, which I haven't met yet by the way. I've heard the names Ron and Harry for years. I finally meet Harry and he's a walking dream. Well, you do like him don't you?"

Hermione looked perplexed, "Of course I like Harry. And I like Ron. They are my best friends. The three of us are best friends."

Melanie put her hand to her mouth, "Oh my gosh you have the hots for both of them and their best friends to boot. Hermione, what a pickle you've put yourself in," just as Melanie started laughing and a pillow came across her head.

With mock anger and through gritted teeth, "Mel-a-nie, how can you possibly say such a thing?" They both laughed. Then more calmly, "This is the honest truth. I like them both. They are my friends. I couldn't possibly risk the friendship of either one." What she just said seemed to have hit a somber note somewhere in the back of her mind.

"Okay, okay, I believe you. Just one thing."

"Yes?"

"Couldn't you have at least got a picture?" Melanie teased with a pleading look.

"Oh, My, Gosh," said Hermione as she attempted to hit Melanie with a pillow again and they both giggled.

After dinner that evening Hermione and her mother went to a baby shower which was not exactly something David or Harry wanted to attend. David took it as an opportunity to talk with Harry. What David really wanted to know was what Voldemort really meant as a danger to his daughter, or for that matter, the rest of the world. It was a long talk. Harry had a respect for David and not just because he was Hermione's father, he liked him. Harry liked the Grangers. Harry did his best to tell him the truth, as best as he understood it. Until.

"Harry, I want to thank you for talking with me. I believe you've been very truthful, though I think you may have left out a few details. Possibly about my daughter's adventures." David looked knowingly and thoughtful at Harry. Harry suppressed a slight grin. "You've only told me a little more than what Hermione has already told us." David paused, "Harry, I was wondering if you could tell me about the boy that died last school year. What was his name?"

"Cedric….Diggory," was all that came out. The silence was deafening, but Harry couldn't bring himself to say anymore.

"That's alright Harry, I'm sorry I brought it up."

"Crookshanks," she whispered. "How did you get in here? I shut the door when I took you to my room." She came over closer to Harry's bed but didn't pick up Crookshanks. Still whispering, she said, "Harry I know you're not asleep."

Harry turned and opened his eyes. There was no fooling her tonight. Hermione sat on the edge of the bed and leaned a little closer to Harry. He could almost make out her face and eyes in the dim light.

"Harry, you have no idea how much your friendship means to me," she said softly. She laid her head on his chest, under his chin.

Her curly hair was soft and he could smell the slight scent of honeysuckle. She lay there, her head still on his chest as though she were listening to his heart beat. She seemed to be trembling just a little. Harry stroked her hair and put his hand on the back of her shoulder. "Maybe I do."

Her trembling seemed to calm and she lifted her head. He could just make out a smile and something glistening on her cheek as she leaned over and kissed him. "Good night, Harry".

"Good night Hermione," said Harry as she scooped up a purring Crookshanks and quietly left.

"Cedric!" Harry lay there shaking. It seemed hard to breathe. He had dreamed it again, all of it.

"Harry?" came a soft and familiar voice. "Harry? Are you all right?" as Hermione came closer.

"I…" came his choking response. Harry sat up as Hermione came and sat on the edge of the bed next to him.

"What's the matter? Does your scar hurt?"

Still difficult to breathe. Harry shook his head no. Trying to get out some kind of explanation. "B..bad…dream" he barely got out.

She reached out and touched his shoulder. "Harry your shaking…. anything you want to talk about? Sometimes it doesn't seem as bad if you do."

Harry shook his head no and tried to say, but stuttered, "I…I'm f…fine."

"No you're not."

Harry clutched both hands to the sides of his face, bent over and wept, rocking back and forth. Hermione held him, and she too, cried.

There was someone outside the guest bedroom that had been listening, and watching from the darkness of the hallway. A tear was wiped away and a dark figure went to the master bedroom. "Katherine? Is everything alright?"

"Yes," as she got back into bed, "I think Harry had a nightmare, but it's alright now." They hugged each other, but both of them knew that it wasn't all right - not yet.

Hermione woke up. It was still dark. She found herself under the covers curled up to a sleeping Harry. He had cried himself to sleep. She quietly slipped away, back to her room.

In the morning at breakfast the quick looks and sudden smiles of the previous morning were absent between the two teens.

"Everything alright this morning Harry?" asked Katherine.

Harry nodded, "Fine Mrs. Granger." Then he added, "Maybe better."

Katherine seemed satisfied, "I take it your summer studies are done and that you will be going to the Weasley's after breakfast. We've enjoyed having you. Feel free to call on us anytime."

Harry thanked Katherine and said that he might take them up on the offer. Even though things seemed to have cooled between Harry and Hermione, Harry did manage a mouthed 'Thank you' to Hermione when her parents weren't looking. Hermione nodded, an understood, 'Your welcome' in return.

Harry stepped out of the Weasley fireplace in a burst of green flame, empty cage, broom, and trunk in tow.

"Haarrrry, you finally made it mate. I see you've brought your broom."

The twins sprang forward. "Glad to see you made it Harry," said George. "Yeah, we were beginnin' to think Professor Granger was never gonna let ya go," winked Fred. "We'll take your things upstairs." The twins started grabbing things but George turned around and handed Harry's broom back to him, "You'll probably be wanting this right away, eh?"

"I sure will," said Harry.

"Hi, Harry," said a more confident Ginny.

"Hi Ginny, how's the summer been?"

"As well as can be expected with a bunch of older brothers."

The twins were back in a flash, with their own brooms in hand, "So, is the Gryffindor seeker ready for some flying?" asked George. "Or has it been so long that you need some lessons," said Fred.

Harry faked a hurt look, "Lessons?" then with a grin, "I don't believe I've ever needed lessons."

The Weasley brothers let out whoops and hollers ending up with Ron laughing, "Heee's baack!"

"Ginny, are you coming?" asked Harry.

"No, I don't have a broom of my own. I'm going to ask mum if I can borrow hers when she gets back from shopping at Diagon Alley. She said she would be back in time to make lunch. I'll just watch till then."

"Unlikely she'll get to use mum's broom," whispered Ron.

Outside they went, the twins watching intently. Just as Harry put his foot back to kick off, his broom turned into a big rubber snake, "Whoa!" shouted Harry. The twins were laughing hysterically along with Ron, and even Ginny couldn't help herself, saying, "I'm sorry Harry but you should have seen the look on your face."

Realization hit him, the twins switched his broom. "Okay, not bad. Where's my real broom?"

The day went into the afternoon and just like Ron figured Ginny didn't get to borrow their mums broom and since her brothers were reluctant to share their own she went back to the house. It was, however, a warm July day, beautiful flying weather and it was good to be back on his Firebolt. The summer air felt good blowing past his face and through his hair as he raced his broom around the twins, Fred and George, and his best friend Ron on their brooms. It felt great! and his heart was lighter than it had been in months. Harry brought up his broom to a halt and paused watching Fred and George playing keep away from Ron with an old worn out Quaffle thinking to himself, 'it just doesn't get much better than this'. His mind wandered as he looked off into the distance in a daydream as his world seemed to fade away.

It was dark as though he were in a cave, lit only with a few floating candles. A blue-green wizard's fire was burning in a small cauldron and cast an eerie light on two hooded figures. One was sitting in a strong looking chair with arm rests as he spoke to the other standing before him. "It is a simple and direct plan. It will bring him to me before he is ready." The voice made Harry feel cold. The one standing answered back, "Yes, my Lord. It will be my pleasure to kill the filthy . . ."

Harry didn't hear the rest because of voices that were yelling his name. "Harry! Harry! Are you all right?"

Harry became aware that he was holding on tight to his broom with one hand while clutching at the scar on his forehead with the other. Fred and George were on either side of him while Ron was facing him, panic in his eyes.

"You still with us?" asked George. "Yeah, we weren't sure you were going to keep a grip on your broom," replied Fred.

With a hesitating voice Ron asked, "Harry, was your scar hurting again?"

Harry gave a slow nod, "L-let's get down, on the ground"

The four of them gently descended toward the ground and dismounted their brooms. Three pairs of eyes were looking intently upon Harry while Harry was trying hard to understand the strange mental image that had just been in his head. He took his hand down from his forehead as the pain from his scar quickly left. "I think he's going to kill someone. Someone I know."

"Who? He who must not be named?" The Weasley's winced at the thought of Voldemort. "He's going to kill someone?" asked Ron.

"Gee Harry, this is bad," said Fred. "I think we had best get back to the Burrow and tell dad when he gets home."

Harry nodded in the affirmative as they made their way back to the Weasley house. Harry was concerned. If it wasn't for his past experiences proving that there was something bad connected to his scar hurting he would just let it go. He hated the thought of troubling the Weasley's when he didn't really understand what it was all about himself. They walked in silence but Harry interrupted, "I would rather not say anything to your mum. Your dad will be home from work in a few hours won't he?" The three Weasley brothers agreed that would be best, to not get their mother worried.

~

"Mother, can I go over to Melanie's house before you get home? She's got some new clothes she wants me to see. And since we're going to Diagon Alley after supper, so I can get Harry's birthday present, I won't have time to go over later."

"All right Hermione, you're father and I will be home in about thirty minutes, so don't stay long. And do you have enough wizarding money? Gringotts will be closed by the time we get to Diagon Alley and we won't be able to exchange."

"Yes, I've got plenty of Sickles and Knuts and Melanie's is only two blocks away.

"I know that, but I also know how you two get to talking and lose track of time. See you soon. Bye."

"Unghh, bye." Mothers can be so aggravating, especially when they're right.

Hermione stepped out of the house and locked the door. She was looking forward to seeing Melanie's new clothes and hearing about her boyfriend. Melanie was one of Hermione's best muggle friends. They were good friends in primary school and before. Melanie, along with all the Granger's other muggle friends, thought Hermione attended a private boarding school north of London, which really wasn't a lie. As Hermione walked down the sidewalk she noticed a particular black car across the street. She had seen it before, off and on all summer. It seemed as if someone was watching her, she thought that could surely not be the case. Yet, if this feeling persisted she might try to get a look at whoever was in the car. She made a mental note to tell Harry and Ron about the black car at Harry's birthday party. Just as she was walking by one of the many old oak trees on the block a strong arm came from behind her wrapping around her neck and under her chin lifting her off the ground by her head. A searing pain in her back by her right shoulder blade made her body lock up uncontrollably. So sudden was the attack that she didn't have time to gasp. The pain. It felt like she was being impaled. "Filthy Mudblood" said a raspy voice above her head. Just as a stifled scream started to erupt through clenched teeth there was a small jerk and the pain doubled. There was a small chuckle and the blade jerked again with another fresh jolt of pain. "Hurts doesn't it?" came the voice as there was a twisting motion and even more pain. A car backfired and the man released her, falling forward and rolling off to the side and didn't move. Hermione crumpled to the sidewalk into a fetal position, shaking uncontrollably and gasping with short, rapid, shallow breaths.

A black man in a sharp looking suit stood on the sidewalk, two bodies on the ground in front of him. One was a young girl with curly brown hair and the other was a hooded man in a gray robe lying on the ground next to her. He holstered his gun, swore, and reached for a radio on his belt. "This is inspector Nelson and I need an ambulance at the corner of Harrington and Mansfield. I have a fourteen-year-old stabbing victim, female, Caucasian. Assailant will be DOA. Putting away his radio, he reached inside his vest pocket and pulled out a badge. He flipped it so the badge was exposed tucking it into his outside breast pocket. He looked over at the shaking girl and swore again. He knelt beside her not sure she could understand, "An ambulance is on the way. He can't hurt you any more." He then knelt beside the hooded man as though he were checking for a pulse though he knew the man was dead. It had been a direct shot to the back of the head. He pulled up on the man's sleeve and saw a mark on his forearm, as though it were something he expected to see. He stood up reaching into his suit pocket and pulled out a cell phone. "Sir, it's Nelson. The Granger girl has been attacked . . . she's alive . . . stabbed . . . hooded male assailant. Sorry sir, he came out of nowhere . . . yes sir, it was there . . . St. Francis is closest. I'll let you know if it's different . . . poison? You think so?" He hung up and swore again. The inspector knelt beside Hermione again, reached out and held her hand. "The ambulance will be here soon. Hang in there." He looked at a delicate silver dagger embedded in her back as blood started soaking her pink blouse. 'How in the world did he step out from behind a tree like that without me seeing him?' he thought to himself.

~

David and Katherine Granger were almost home as they were passed by an ambulance. When they approached the corner where they turn onto their block they could see two ambulances and several police cars along with a small crowd. A policeman was directing traffic around the emergency vehicles and indicating they needed to go around. David had lowered his window, "Officer we live down this block."

"I'm sorry sir but you'll have to go around and come up the block from the other end," said the officer. Just then a very hysterical Melanie ran past the policeman and up to the front of the Granger's car, red faced, tears down her face and screaming, "She's been stabbed! She's been stabbed! Hermione's been stabbed!"

A dream, a dream, it has to be a bad dream. God, it just has to be. What was the doctor in front of her saying? Something, something that can't be true. It can't be!

Katherine Granger with her husband standing behind her, supporting her. She looked pale and he looked visibly shaken. There they were standing outside the emergency room at St. Francis Hospital talking to a surgeon.

"Mr. and Mrs. Granger, do you understand? Your daughter has lost a lot of blood. The internal injuries are not bad enough to be a threat to her life, but we have had trouble stopping the bleeding. It seems that she has been poisoned from the knife or otherwise. Pathology has never seen anything like the toxin in her blood. We are at a loss. There's nothing more that we can do."

David spoke, his voice shaking, "Are you saying that our daughter is dying and there's nothing you can do?"

"I'm sorry," was all the surgeon could say. "Pathology has not given up, but there's not enough time."

Katherine slumped and David caught her, helping her to a chair.

Down the hallway was a doctor dressed in a gray suit and black tie. He reached inside his vest and seemed to finger a long pencil as his other hand straightened a St. Francis nametag that had suddenly appeared.

"Nurse," he said with a no nonsense tone.

The busy nurse stopped and looked him over rather incredulously. It wasn't the suit or the fact that she hadn't seen him before, it was that he didn't seem to quite fit in. "Yes, Doctor...?"

"I'm looking for the Grangers, their daughter was a stabbing victim, I believe they came in less than thirty minutes ago."

"She is still in surgery, operating room 4, and I don't believe I've seen you before Dr. …" a blank look came over her face and she took off walking down the corridor as if she hadn't seen anyone. The mysterious doctor took his hand out from under his vest and took off at a good pace, for someone so old.

David and Katherine were looking at the floor in shock. Their daughter was dying, their only child. They didn't really notice as a doctor in a gray suit walked up and addressed them. "Katherine, David"

They both looked up, not recognizing, but who would. David looked at the nametag and made the connection, "Dumbledore? Professor Dumbledore?" If it hadn't been for the grave seriousness of the situation it might have been comical, all that white hair, long white beard and old but alert eyes looking over half moon glasses, dressed up in a muggle suit. "Our daughter," David choked, "she's dying."

"I assumed as much. We have little time. You must tell them that you are taking your daughter home. That if it must be, it will be at home. However, we will take her to Hogwarts via your new fireplace to Hogsmeade." Dumbledore's look was grim, "Quickly" he urged. "Time is against us if we have any hope at all. I will make sure you are met with no resistance to your request," as he patted his vest under which a wand was hidden.

The subdued behavior of her brothers and Harry at the table did not go unnoticed by Ginny. "What's going on?" she inquired sitting down at the table.

"Nothin' ", replied Fred and George in unison.

"Doesn't look like nothin' to me."

Quickly thinking of a way to distract Ginny, Harry said, "Say Ginny, would you like to try out my Firebolt ?"

"Would I !" exclaimed Ginny shrilly.

Ron gave Ginny a dead pan look, "No Ginny, Harry does not have a wood eye."

Harry chuckled as the twins snickered, "Oy, good one Ron."

Ron started grinning just as Ginny kicked him under the table. "Ow!"

"Come on, let's go" she said heading for the door.

"I expect your father home anytime. He's already late, as if that were unusual. Dinner will be ready when he does," came Mrs. Weasley's voice from the kitchen.

Ginny was thrilled to zoom around on Harry's broom but it didn't take long to notice she was the only one in the air. She landed next to the boys. "That's it. I want to know what's going on or I'm going straight to mum."

The boys definitely didn't want that, so they told her. Ginny looked panicked, "Oh Merlin, maybe we should contact dad at the ministry."

They talked her into waiting like they had decided earlier. So, back to the Burrow and the dining room table they had just left. Harry kept trying desperately to piece together what his vision could possibly mean. What he needed was Hermione to put some logical perspective to it. Then it hit him like a brick wall, he stood up and yelled, "Hermione!" All the Weasley's jumped including Molly who dropped a dish that broke on the kitchen floor.

Before anyone had a chance to say anything Mr. Weasley apparated in the kitchen with a 'pop', the look on his face was severe. "Arthur! What's wrong?"

He held up a hand to Molly, looked around the room and saw Harry standing at the table with everyone else sitting, they were looking at Harry and then to their dad. In the most serious tone that any of his children had ever heard he looked at Harry and said, "Harry, Hermione's been attacked. They've taken her to Hogwarts; don't ask me why, I don't know. As quickly as you can, go by Floo to Hogsmeade and then to the Hospital wing. Ron, you go with him, Dumbledore has asked for you both. Harry take your broom. The two of you can ride double, it's the quickest way." He turned to his wife, "Molly the rest of us will follow. There will be a horseless carriage waiting for us outside at the Three Broomsticks."

Without hesitation Ron and Harry sprang into action. Ron headed toward the fireplace first reaching out for the Floo powder on the mantle as Harry was right behind him. Harry extended his arm and his Firebolt whisked to his hand as though it had been pulled there by a whip. The fire blazed green, Ron stepped in, "Three Broomsticks!" Harry stepped in, "Three Broomsticks!", and they were gone.

Arthur and Molly looked wide eyed at each other, but Arthur shook his head. Molly called out to her children, "Come along now, you heard your father, let's go."

It's hard to imagine what anybody thought of seeing two boys barrel out of the Three Broomsticks fireplace, mount double on a broom and take off at break neck speed. But neither Ron nor Harry cared. It seemed to Harry that time was slowing to a crawl. He knew that riding double was slower than riding single but he was desperate, if only he had figured it out sooner. The look on Arthur's face told him it was really bad. In his haste Harry had misjudged the extra momentum of Ron's added weight. They landed on the top of the closest tower and rolled, but nothing was broken. They sprinted down the steps and ran down the empty corridors toward the hospital wing.

"Headmaster I have the antidote for the poison but it's been too long. From what you've told me the girl should be dead already. Her death will be a loss to the school. She had a brilliant mind"

"Severus, she is not yet dead. Though closer than can possibly be imagined. We have but one chance, dangerous, very dangerous. But we must try, and you might possibly be of assistance before this is over."

Professor Snape stepped up to the hospital wing door and opened it. The light through the windows was beginning to turn reddish yellow as the sun was sinking low in the sky and illuminated a bizarre sight even for the wizarding world. In the center of the room a bed had been placed with Hermione Granger lying there still in a muggle hospital gown covered by a sheet with her arms exposed, her skin was deathly white and her lips were blue. On either side of the bed there was a very old witch and a very old wizard with wands held up as though pointed at the same spot on the ceiling seemingly deep in simultaneous incantations. David and Katherine Granger were standing not far away, shock etched on their faces. Madam Pomfrey was at a table arranging various potions and remedies next to a very ornate gold goblet. It seemed she wasn't sure what she was preparing for, the girl looked beyond hope and it grieved her.

Snape looked at the old witch and wizard in disbelief and turned his head sharply to Dumbledore. "Is that …"

"Yes, that's Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel as they really are. They are unable to maintain their disguises while performing these incantations. I trust your discretion on having seen them."

"Of course, Headmaster," said Snape recovering.

"Now we need Mr. Potter and Mr. Weasley before we can begin."

As if on cue Harry and Ron burst through the hospital wing door breathing heavily. Dumbledore looked at both of them over his glasses and spoke quickly giving instructions. "Harry there is a goblet on the table by Madam Pomfrey. Go and drink it all. Professor Snape please accompany him, make sure he does nothing rash." Harry and Snape left. Then Professor Dumbledore addressed Ron seriously, "Ron, how much do you love your friend?"

Ron looked across the room at Hermione lying there and choked, "I love her."

"That's good to know, but what of Harry?"

Ron looked at Dumbledore, straightened and said with conviction, "I'd give my life for him."

"That's as I hoped. It is that willingness to give your life, which will keep Harry from sacrificing his own," he paused, "if this, fails."

Ron paled, "You mean she might … die?"

"Not if we can help it."

Harry had started to cross the room as his eyes came upon Hermione, and he froze. His heart felt like it was in his throat.

"Move along Potter," said Snape in his usual gruff voice. Harry couldn't seem to move. Then in a softer voice "Harry, you can't help her by standing there, looking."

The shock of an almost tender comment from Snape brought him back to action. Madam Pomfrey handed Harry the goblet and told him to drink all of it. It was a glowing liquid not quite gold and not quite silver in color. Harry prepared for the worst; he had tasted many horrible potions and remedies in the hospital wing. He figured it would be best to drink it quickly, but the first taste was a surprise. It was like taking a drink of water not realizing how thirsty you were till you started drinking. He emptied it to the last drop. There were images flooding his mind, of earth, sky, flowers, sunshine, spring. He felt giddy… strong. He had the urge to run, as though he could run through the stone wall of the hospital wing and jump to the ground below, unharmed.

"Steady there Potter. Focus on the task at hand," came Snape's voice of reason. He led Harry toward Hermione and the Flamels as Dumbledore came with Ron.

Dumbledore spoke and his words demanded attention, "Harry, take your place beside Hermione and put a hand upon each arm. Ron, place a hand on Harry's left shoulder. Katherine, you place a hand on Harry's right shoulder and David you put your hand on top of Katherine's. In this way Harry is the conduit for the life force that Hermione needs. All of you must call for her when the spell is cast. Madam Pomfrey and Professor Snape will stand outside the spell and be prepared to do what is needed when it is complete. Take your places, there is little time."

Harry did as he was told and placed his hands on her arms as though he wanted to shake her awake. 'Oh, God' Harry groaned, she was cold. It gripped his heart. He felt hands upon his shoulders and the weight of the world. His world.

Dumbledore stepped back. The room was getting dim as dusk approached all too quickly. Candles flickered on with flame, but to little avail as Dumbledore brought forth his wand the windows flew open and the wind rushed in blowing them out. Dumbledore had an almost palpable aura of blue energy as he spoke, "spiritus ad respiro animae per conspirationis!". A white burst of magical power shot out encompassing the Flamels and the company of four connected to Hermione. Dumbledore kept the connection; the rest was up to Harry, Ron and the Grangers.

Darkness, no light, but there was only sound. Voices….voices called into the darkness, "Hermione". They called her name out into that vast darkness, that emptiness. Desperation mounted with each unanswered call. Harry heard her first as though he was out in front of everyone else and she was far away. It was like a faint voice carried on the wind. With greater effort he called into the ever boundless dark, "Hermione!" Then a pause and a small voice that got louder, "Mum?...Dad?", closer, "Ron?" closer "Harry?" Even though he could see nothing he could sense, he reached out and held. He held for all he was worth, nothing was going to make him let go.

"Harry? Is that you? Why can't I see anything?"

"Hermione," he said slowly, knowing he had to tell her the truth, "Hermione, you're dying we've come to bring you back." He knew that he had to give of himself, his life force, and through him the life force of the others. It was a draining effort and he could feel Hermione becoming stronger. Yet, there was a terrifying realization that it would not be enough. There were the voices of Hermione's mother and father, that they were willing to sacrifice their lives, as well as Ron saying the same. Harry was willing to sacrifice his own life but not anyone else's.

"Harry," came Hermione's voice. "Harry, I know it's not enough. I can tell, I can feel it."

Bitter anguish was what Harry felt.

"Harry, you can't sacrifice yourself. You can't let my parents sacrifice themselves, nor Ron."

Harry didn't answer, he felt complete despair, unfathomable anguish.

"Harry, you have to let go….you must live….you have to live, if my life is to have any meaning….Harry, you must let go….Harry, please….I lov-"

He couldn't bear to listen anymore. No description could come close to what Harry felt, beyond what he could bear. Yet, he couldn't let go, he couldn't…. she was his friend. He couldn't let go. He had lost his parents, he had seen Cedric die, he couldn't bear to lose Hermione. It was too much-, it was tearing him apart, logic and reason told him he had no choice. He couldn't give away anyone else's life but his own.

The spirit, the soul, can only bear so much before it is broken, forever wounded. No fourteen year old should ever have to make such a decision. A wave washed over Harry as though he had been immersed in dark water….nothing but emptiness.

No, it was not emptiness. It was Hope. Hope ever so small, but it was growing and hope had a sound. Wonderful, beautiful, resonating hope. Hope. It fills the spirit and suddenly nothing is impossible. Harry knew what had to be done.

Beyond the spell, outside the door to the hospital wing the Weasley's waited. They had heard the rushing of the wind, the echoing words as Dumbledore cast a powerful spell. They waited worried and tense but were startled as Fawkes, Dumbledore's pet phoenix, flew up the corridor erupting into song as the door to the hospital wing flew open. Wide eyed they all got a glimpse of Fawkes flying toward a group of people gathered around a young girl, all eerily illuminated by the spell being cast, before the door slowly closed. Fawkes circled round those gathered within the spell, singing. Small glittering, dancing, gold flames were dropping from his tail feathers like slowly falling snow as he circled and sang. The room was alight from the curtain of dancing flames that had enveloped those within the spell. The curtain began to pulsate; it began to sing much the same as Fawkes. The two songs were in rhythm as the curtain shrank and became denser and more brilliant. It settled upon Harry, he glowed as though he were an angle on fire. The two songs were merging, harmonizing, and becoming more intense until both became a union of one rapturous, glorious note.

Harry leaned forward, the hands upon his shoulders sliding away. He kissed Hermione as the radiance covered them both, her body stiffened and then relaxed. The glow faded as the spell broke. Fawkes flew to Dumbledore's shoulder, Madam Pomfrey caught a staggering Ron, and Snape caught the Grangers with a spell and settled them into a couple of chairs. Harry had slumped across Hermione, his head upon her chest.

Madam Pomfrey sat Ron down in a chair and quickly went to Harry and Hermione.

"Poppy?" came Dumbledore's question.

"I can't believe it! Albus, they're both alive! Though Jus' barely."

Harry came too, he was trying to remember what had happened, everything was blurry. 'Hermione' was his first thought, he automatically reached out his hand feeling for his glasses. Everything came into focus and ever so briefly he saw Hermione's pale face as Madam Pomfrey standing over her lifted a sheet blocking his view. The mind sometimes plays tricks on our worst fears. Harry Panicked and blurted out.

"Hermione!"

The sheet came down quickly tucking up around Hermione, Madam Pomfrey was very efficient from years of practice. She turned and looked at Harry with satisfaction.

"Well now Mr. Potter, back among the living are we?"

Harry was trying to raise himself up, but his whole body felt like it was made of lead.

"Here, here. We'll have none of that, you're stayin' in bed."

"But, but, Hermione."

"She's fine, she's fine. Settle down there or I'll magic some restraints. You're both to weak to be -". Madam Pomfrey didn't bother to finish. Harry had already fallen back to sleep.

Somewhere in the ebbing and flowing darkness of dreams and sleep the words 'She's fine' kept coming back to him. He became aware of voices being spoken far away. They were familiar voices but they seemed to come and go. He dreamed of a dog that licked his face, an owl that cooed and nibbled an ear, a purring cat curled up next to him. He dreamed of a pale looking girl that he desperately wanted to make sure she was really, truly, alive. It seemed to take all his effort to walk across a vast distance, so tired he could barely take a step. When he got close enough to touch her, she was warm, she was alive! And his heart sang as everything went back to darkness.

"Wha-, Harry Potter!" Madam Pomfrey whipped out her wand and magicked Harry up off the floor next to Hermione's bed, floated him across the room as the covers rolled back and then over again as he was laid gently back into his own bed.

Later Dumbledore came into the hospital wing and looked at the two teenagers; their beds were close together, side by side. He looked up at Madam Pomfrey over his half moon glasses, his eyes twinkling. She tried to suppress a smile but rolled her eyes and said, "Well I had to do somethin', I found Mr. Potter on the floor next to her bed twice an' Miss Granger on the floor next to his once."

"I quite approve Poppy. But I've come to thank you for coming on such short notice in our moment of need. You've been here a week and Professor Snape has made plenty of praesangium, which is locked up in the medicinal cabinet."

"So your saying I can go back to my summer off? But, who would watch after these two? An' is they're being here still a secret?"

"A secret no longer, and visitors will be coming on a regular basis. As a matter of fact the Weasleys and the Grangers will be here within the hour. As for watching our summer patients, two house-elves from the kitchens have already volunteered, Dobby and Winky."

"I'll not leave till I'm sure these two house-elves can handle the job."

"Very well, and thank you Poppy. And I believe that Mr. Potter is waking up."

Harry reached to the table on his left for his glasses. Harry felt stiff as he sat up in the bed. Dumbledore mumbled "Engorgio" as Harry's pillow swelled large enough to support him sitting in bed.

"Thanks professor." Harry looked around the hospital wing and immediately saw a pale Hermione sleeping in the bed to his right. Without thinking, without hesitation, he reached out and touched her hand and gave a small sigh of relief.

"See what I mean Albus," said Madam Pomfrey.

"Indeed," looking at Poppy over his half moon glasses, and then back to Harry. "She's fine Harry, just sleeping. In fact, you've both been sleeping for quite some time."

Suddenly realizing how it might look he blushed but he didn't turn red or even pink.

"There now, it's good to see some more natural color to you besides lookin' pasty pale," said Madam Pomfrey.

Wanting to change the subject in a hurry Harry was about to ask how long he and Hermione had been asleep when a very deep bark came from the left side of his bed. It made him jump. Madam Pomfrey looked on with dismay.

Dumbledore smiled and said, "Yes Snuffles, you have not been forgotten."

The big black dog put his front paws on the side of Harry's bed as Harry yelled out, "Snuffles!"

"I suppose you have some questions Harry," said Dumbledore giving a sideways glance to Poppy.

"I believe I'll go to the kitchens and check on these two house-elves you mentioned Albus."

Harry couldn't be more delighted, here was his Godfather in Animagus form. Madam Pomfrey left the room as Dumbledore said in a low voice just loud enough for Harry and 'Snuffles' to hear. "I believe a Concealment spell is in order. Allow me." But just as Dumbledore raised his wand Madam Pomfrey could be heard talking to someone in the corridor just outside the hospital wing. Dumbledore paused and Ron's unmistakable voice could be heard.

"Yes!" Ron burst through the door with Harry's broom in hand. "Hey, Snuffles!" Then Ron looked at his two friends. "Man it's good to see both of you here and awake. I borrowed your broom Harry. I hope that was alright. I'm ahead of the rest by a good half hour."

Harry nodded his approval and then turned looking toward Hermione. She was pale but she had a warm smile and dark brown eyes that were very much alive. Hermione reached out with her left hand, Harry with his right. Both of them seemed to take reassurance in touching each other's hand.

Dumbledore cleared his throat; the two quickly pulled their hands apart and he enlarged Hermione's pillow to help her sit up. Turning toward Ron, "I'm glad you're ahead of everyone. I assume you mean the rest of your family Ron, and the Grangers? Good, that should give us enough time." He raised his wand and waved in a circular motion, "Obumbro!". The windows dimmed and the room became quiet as though sealed off from the rest of the castle. Dumbledore nodded to Snuffles who transformed into Sirius.

"Harry, it seems to always be something with you isn't it?" Sirius and Harry embraced. Sirius was as close to a father figure as Harry would probably ever know. "It's been a long week Harry, and now that your being here is no longer a secret I'll have to leave soon."

Harry pulled away with a look of hurt and disappointment. Once again he was going to be denied that heart to heart talk with his Godfather.

"I'm sorry Harry. Trust me, I don't want to leave either, but it won't be safe for me here.

Hermione was trying to gather in what was going on. Here she was in a hospital bed next to Harry, her right arm in a sling and her shoulder was hurting. She was ever so relieved to see Harry. She had this almost uncontrollable desire to touch him to make sure he was really there. And she had no idea why she was feeling this way. It all seemed so awkward, not knowing, feeling like things were out of control. She didn't like it. It made her feel slightly embarrassed.

"Excuse me professor, I was just wondering how I got here. The last thing I remember I was headed over to visit my friend Melanie."

"Ah yes, questions, as expected. I suppose we should start at the beginning. And you say that you remember nothing? Well, I can think of no other way to say it. Hermione, my dear, you were attacked. Stabbed is more accurate."

Hermione's eyes widened, "S-stabbed?"

"As a matter of fact, with a poisoned dagger, which I happen to have with me, encased in a protective spell." Dumbledore pulled out from his cloak what looked like a block of glass with a delicate handled silver dagger about twelve inches in overall length inside. The blade was about seven inches and was an unusual three sided star shape that came to a fine point. On either side at the base of the blade was what looked like a malicious protruding snake fang. It was evident the blade was not intended to make a clean cut, but to mangle the flesh and cause as much pain as possible. Dumbledore offered it to Hermione but she recoiled at the sight of it, her eyes changed to a light gray color for the briefest of seconds. Dumbledore made a mental note of it.

Harry held out his hand to look it over. It wasn't as heavy as he had expected. Even though it looked and felt like glass it didn't seem to have any weight of itself. Harry thought it was evil looking.

Sirius sneered as he looked at it. "Assassin's dagger - disgusting."

Ron was quite anxious to look at it, "Wicked! An assassin's dagger!" He glanced at Hermione, "Uh, sorry." He then had a puzzled look on his face. "Professor, why would anyone want to kill Hermione?"

"Mr. Weasley you go straight to the heart of the matter. As best we can determine it was Lord Voldemort's intention to goad Harry into coming after him by killing a close friend. Of course it would have been a trap, but knowing Harry's strength of will I'm not sure any of us could have stopped him. We were not expecting this to happen so soon."

"Hang on," said Hermione. "I remember seeing a black car parked along the street on my way to Melanie's. I was going to mention to Harry and Ron that I had seen it on my street off and on all summer. I think someone was watching me. Is that who did it?"

"No my dear. That was John Nelson, a cousin to Lee Jordan, your fellow Gryffindor. John Nelson is a detective on the London police force. He is also a muggle." He paused to let that sink in, but not long enough for anyone to ask more questions. "We sometimes enlist cooperation through relatives of witches and wizards who are aware of our magical world but are muggles just the same. Voldemort abhors muggles and would not consider doing such a thing. We have found it useful but it was inadequate in this case. It was our desire not to arouse suspicion from the Ministry of Magic at the time. In light of what has happened to Miss Granger the Ministry will assign their own people to watch now."

"Professor, this is all getting a little confusing. You say a muggle detective was assigned to watch me, then who attacked me?"

"A Death Eater by the name of Gregory Denton, who's body has mysteriously disappeared from the Ministry Morgue. It so happens that John Nelson killed Gregory Denton with a hand gun. A wizard can be killed with such a device if caught off guard." There was a pause while they absorbed the information about Voldemort and one of his Death Eater followers.

"I take it I was brought here, given the antidote, and fixed up," said Hermione trying to anticipate.

"Actually you were taken to St. Francis Hospital first, an almost tragic mistake. The poison on this dagger is rare, very difficult to make. The antidote is even more difficult and quite perishable. Professor Snape has the antidote on hand here at Hogwarts under a time spell to keep it from spoiling. However, this poison kills within thirty minutes. It took almost two hours to bring you to Hogwarts from the moment you were attacked, so you see the antidote was entirely useless."

Hermione was still trying to logically piece the events together, "Okaaaay, so what you're saying is that I died. Then how come I'm alive?"

"This is where it becomes most interesting," said Dumbledore.

"And dangerous," commented Sirius.

"Quite right, it was indeed dangerous. And yes, I am saying that you died but not completely. You were kept in check by two very dear friends of mine, Nicholas and Penelope Flamel. They used very arcane magic to keep what makes you 'you' from moving on. That gave us time to perform the 'Breath of Life'. Harry, Ron and your parents were a part of this spell."

Hermione had a look of concentration, "'Breath of Life'? B-but that's only a legend. Merlin was supposed to have performed the spell to bring Nimue, his lost love, back to life. No one has performed that spell. No one knows for sure if Merlin performed it. Once you're dead, you're dead. It's just not possible."

"Ah, but Miss Granger it is legend no more, you are living proof. I agree that dead is 'dead' but it is my opinion that you have been closer to death than any person who has ever lived, including Nimue."

"So, who actually performed the transference?" asked Hermione glancing over at Harry in the bed next to hers.

"That would have been Harry here," said Sirius proudly patting Harry on the back.

"Professor, if this was such a dangerous spell why was Ron involved?" asked Harry.

Ron beamed as Dumbledore continued. "Well Harry, there was a risk that you would sacrifice your own life trying to save Hermione. There was also the risk that Hermione's mother and father could have convinced you that they were willing to do the same. However, I doubted that you would let Ron sacrifice his life. There is a strong bond between those willing to sacrifice themselves for one another." Dumbledore looked at the three youths in turn.

Hermione looked from Dumbledore to Ron to Harry. "So, what you're saying is that I was brought to life with a kiss."

"That's a simplistic explanation but accurate enough," said Dumbledore smiling broadly, his eyes twinkling.

Hermione's expression changed, "Say Harry. You're missing a lock of hair."

Ron coughed and sputtered, "Whaaat? How could you possibly tell with that mess of a mop he's got?"

"Very observant Miss Granger, as usual. Harry actually is missing a lock of hair," said Dumbledore as Ron's jaw dropped.

It was our intention to use Voldemort's own trap against him. With a lock of hair, some Polyjuice Potion, and a brave volunteer, we made an attempt to find Voldemort through our Harry 'look alike'.

This last revelation was making Harry's head spin. "Who's we?" said Harry and Hermione in unison. They looked at each other and laughed. Ron was still standing with his mouth open looking confused.

Sirius took over, "The we that Headmaster Dumbledore is referring to is called 'The Order of the Phoenix' and is sometimes called 'The Order' for short. It is an ancient and secret order. It was founded by Merlin himself - 'Magical Justice for One and All'. This bit of information is why Albus cast a Concealment spell. This organization is most secret. Harry… Remus as well as your mother and father belonged to the Order. Because of Hermione's attack it's been decided to reveal the Order's existence to you three. Harry and Ron, it is also important not to mention, to anyone outside the Order, about having seen the Flamels." Sirius looked toward Dumbledore.

"Thank you Sirius. The Order has also decided that for your own protection the three of you should receive some private lessons in Defense Against the Dark Arts, advanced lessons. These lessons must also be kept secret and on top of your regular class load. I hope you're up to it?" Dumbledore looked from Harry to Hermione to Ron. Each of the three teens was nodding slowly with growing grins. "Very well, you will be called to my office after arrangements have been made. I doubt these lessons will start till after the school year begins." Dumbledore paused and had a very serious look, "I must impress upon you again how very important all this must be kept secret." The three grins had quickly been replaced by somber looks. "I know what Sirius and I have just told you has brought more questions to mind, but those questions will have to wait for now." Dumbledore looked toward Sirius one more time. "Sirius, I should be lifting the Concealment spell soon."

Sirius and Harry both had a pained expression. "Harry, I know we haven't had much time to talk but we will get our chance." Harry and Sirius embraced again. As they pulled apart Sirius smiled and tried to brighten his impending departure. "Harry, you always seem to be involved in saving lives, including my own." Sirius winked at Hermione as he said this because she was involved in saving Sirius' life as well. "I'm very proud of you, but please try not to do anything dangerous. You'll be giving me more gray hairs than I already have. And…I was also wondering if you two could keep an eye on my Godson in my absence."

Ron said, "You bet."

Hermione smiled and said, "We'll do our best."

At this Sirius transformed back to his Animagus dog form they referred to as Snuffles.

"Take care Snuffles," said Dumbledore, "you will be kept informed." Dumbledore waved his wand and gave the counter spell removing the concealment. The windows brightened and the sounds in the rest of the castle could be heard again. Snuffles bounded for the door amongst farewells, and was gone.

It seemed to Harry that his meetings with Sirius were always bittersweet. Harry hadn't really noticed that his Godfather had a few gray hairs till he mentioned it. 'Saving lives', Harry thought, 'Yeah… but I couldn't save Cedric, could I?'

Madam Pomfrey came back into the room, she surveyed the room and seemed to be glad that a certain big black dog was missing from her Hospital wing.

"Poppy, would you like to have some tea with me in my office?...We'll discuss compensation for your time spent here on emergency notice."

Madam Pomfrey looked quite pleased, "Why Albus I'd be delighted, but there's no need to pay me. I was glad to be of help."

"I wouldn't think of it Poppy. I'm well aware of your volunteer services at St. Mungo's on your summers off. It would only be proper."

"Very well Albus, I'll be along as soon as I give these two a dose of praesangium."

Dumbledore involuntarily wrinkled his nose, "See you soon then," turned and left.

"You mean 'Razage'!?" Ron said in disbelief.

Madam Pomfrey was indignant, "I'm know the slang name that's been given this medicinal potion, an' I'm well aware of it's abuses, wizards and witches bleeding themselves for it's side effect. This potion has saved lives, and it'll get Mr. Potter and Miss Granger on the road to health at least five times quicker than without." Without another word Madam Pomfrey pulled out her wand and unlocked the medicinal cabinet. She took a tightly sealed bottle off the shelf, put a nose pinch on, uncorked the bottle and poured a gray-green liquid with bright blue and orange bubbles into two cups. She brought the cups to Harry and Hermione.

Ron gagged covering his mouth and pinching his nose. "Awh, gawd."

"Serves ya right," said Madam Pomfrey with a nasal sound to her voice.

Harry and Hermione were each holding a cup and looking at each other. "Ah, Hermione? Does yours smell bad?"

"No, in fact it smells really good, but it looks awful."

Still sounding nasal, "Ah course it smells good now. It'll smell worse the better you get. Drink up, drink up."

Harry and Hermione drank up. It tasted as good, as it looked awful. Madam Pomfrey gave them each a quick dissolving breath mint that made their mouths feel cold, they could even see their breaths as they exhaled till the mints had dissolved. Madam Pomfrey magicked a breeze that blew through the hospital wing and out the window before she took off her nose pinch at which point Ron looked relieved that it was safe to breathe again.

Harry felt a little strange, like he was drifting, and settled back into his pillow. He felt like he didn't have a care in the world. He turned and looked at Hermione, she had a goofy smile and had settled back into her pillow as well.

Ron looked at the two of them, "Wow…you guys are trippin'.'"

Ginny came running into the hospital wing, shouting, "Harry! You're here! And Hermione! You're alive!" Ginny ran to Harry and hugged him.

"That's nice Ginny, I'm glad you're happy, but did I go somewhere?" Harry said in slurred speech.

"Hi Ginny, I'm not dead even though they keep saying I dead," said Hermione with the same slurred speech, and then she giggled.

Ginny leaned across Harry and hugged Hermione. "Uggh," came a low groan from Harry. "I'm being squished."

"Sorry Harry. Ron, what's wrong with these two? They're acting and sounding weird."

Arthur, Molly and the twins came through the door as Ron told everyone with wide eyes. "They've taken Razage." Ron shot a sideways glance at Madam Pomfrey, "I mean praesangium."

Arthur and Molly looked concerned, Ginny's mouth was open and speechless, Fred and George looked delighted.

"Really?" said Fred.

"Are they trippin' big time?" asked George. Molly shot George a look, "I mean, are they okay?"

Molly and Arthur seemed to have the sentiment of George's last question and Madam Pomfrey picked up on it. "It's the strangest thing. They both seem to have lost a lot of blood but I'll be pressed to understand how it happened. I'm sure it had somethin' to do with the spell used to save Miss Granger. They'll both be fine. Hermione's shoulder is not healing as quickly as I could normally coax along, but it'll be fine as well. If I could impose upon Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley to watch over these two for a bit, I've been invited for tea in the Headmaster's office." Poppy looked quite pleased with Dumbledore's invitation and took her leave.

"Later Poppy," waved Harry with a silly grin.

"Toodles Mad Pop," giggled Hermione. Madam Pomfrey shook her head, looked at the ceiling and left for tea.

Mrs. Weasley went over to Hermione and stroked her hair and checked her arm sling, making sure it wasn't too tight. "You have no idea how worried we were dear, Dumbledore had your being alive a complete secret an' refused to let us know either way after the spell had been performed."

"That's right, and then the Daily Prophet reported that you were dead and Harry was missing, missing for a whole week," put in Arthur.

"But I'm not dead. At least I don't think I am. And Harry's right over there." Hermione waved to Harry with her left hand and Harry waved back grinning stupidly. "Hang on." Hermione looked like she was trying to concentrate and having difficulty doing it. "You said a week? Awww Harry, your birthday. You've missed your birthday and I didn't get your present. At least I don't remember getting it….Nope, don't believe I did. I'm so sorry Harry."

It didn't seem to bother Harry, in his current state it's doubtful anything would. "Don't worry about it Herm. It's not like I ever got anything for my birthday 'til I got to Hogwarts anyway. It's not like I had a family 'til I got to Hogwarts. In fact I count all of you as my family." Harry was very animated with the 'all' throwing his arms in the air and letting them drop to his sides. "That includes Hagrid, and Sirius, and, and, well all of you," animated again.

"There, there, dear I'm sure arrangements can be made," said Mrs. Weasley and a chorus of affirmation from the rest of the Weasleys. But Hermione was silent and her eyes were starting to water.

"Really?" Harry squeaked. "That's swell! What's the matter Herm?"

"But I didn't get your Birthday present I don't have anything to give youuu." Hermione pouted and then brightened almost immediately. "I know. I can give you a kiss. You gave me a kiss to save me right? Well I can give you a kiss for your birthday." Hermione seemed quite pleased with her idea. Hermione would have been mortified at having said such a thing otherwise, if not for suffering the euphoric side effects of the praesangium. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were amused, the Twins were delighted at the teasing potential, Ron was torn between amusement and something else, and Ginny obviously didn't like the idea at all and was turning red.

Harry shrugged and said, "Okay."

Ginny could contain herself no longer, "I'm sure you'll have enough time to get Harry a proper Birthday present, Hermione."

"Aww, Ginny. You didn't get Harry a Birthday present either…..I know…We can both give him a kiss."

"My, I'm popular today," said Harry shaking his head from side to side.

Ginny was turning redder by the second. This was not going to her liking. She didn't care whether they were tripping out or not. Fred nudged George to look at Ginny and her ever increasing color.

Ron had decided to change the subject. "Say Harry, I'll bet you're looking forward to playing Quidditch this year."

"Quidditch?" replied Harry. "Great idea, let's go"

"I agree, yep, let's go," said Hermione. They both tossed back the bed sheets as though they were headed down to the Quidditch field. They were both met with laughter and hands pushing them back into their beds.

"Not in your condition, you two. Either one of ya would slide right off the end of a broom," said George.

"Wha? Harry Potter slide off the end of his broom? Never!" retorted Harry. Who was met with more laughter.

Meanwhile Hermione had been looking at her exposed toes, wiggling them. "Saaay, I've never noticed before, but my second toe is longer than my big toe. Did you ever notice that Haaary?"

"You're riiiight Herm," answered Harry.

There were snorts and giggles met with Harry and Hermione's new found discovery. Hermione had another idea. "I wonder what my toes would look like painted blue. Can I borrow your wand Fred?"

There was a resounding and unanimous, "No!" from all the Weasley's. Whereupon Hermione pouted and suddenly brightened again. "Okay then, Fred you paint my toes blue."

Fred shrugged and said, "Uh, okay. Hold your foot still Hermione, I can't get a good shot."

Harry lifted up his foot wiggling his toes and said, "Yeah, Fred. When your done with Hermione you can paint mine green."

That comment caught Fred off guard and it was all the distraction Hermione needed. She took Fred's wand, slick as you please, and said, "Here, I can do it, your taking forever."

There were gasps and cries of "Fred don't let her have that wand" as Fred tried in vain to get his wand back. It was much like trying to take a toy away from a three year old. Hermione's foot was waving around as well as her left hand while Fred was trying to grab for his wand. Splotches of blue paint shot out the end of the wand but she never hit her foot. One shot hit Ginny, "Blat" in the side of the head. Half Ginny's face was now blue and it made an interesting contrast to the rest of her crimson face.

Just as it seemed Fred was about to get his wand Harry reached over, "C'mon Herm I want to give it a try, and you should really try green."

"No fair Harry you've got two hands and I've only got one." The wand erupted into rapid fire shots of blue and green paint splotches in every direction. Sheer pandemonium ensued; Cornish Pixies would have fled for cover. Ron had been laughing and was shot in the mouth with green paint, even his tongue was green. The twins had dove for cover under a vacant hospital bed along with Ginny but to no avail, each had been hit several times on the way down. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had taken the most shots trying to get the wand away from Harry and Hermione. Mr. Weasley had been nailed right between the eyes with a blue splotch, his eyes were completely blue, and blue was now the color he saw the world in.

"HERMIONE GRANGER! Put that wand down this instant!" came Katherine's echoing voice.

Harry and Hermione froze, one side of Harry's glasses was covered in blue paint and dripped a single drop. The end of Fred's wand was smoking slightly from all the rapid fire splotches of green and blue paint and all was silent, as Hermione gave a wide eyed "Uh oh."

Mr. Weasley calmly walked over and took the wand from what could have easily been a couple of three year olds caught in the act of doing that which they knew they shouldn't. Slowly Harry and Hermione looked around. The hospital wing looked like it had been pelted from a green and blue cyclone, and that included the recently arrived Grangers who had obviously not been spared the rampage. Harry's facial expression changed, looking long and serious mimicking Professor Snape almost precisely, "Mr. Potter and Miss Granger, that will be fifty points from Gryffindor." Everyone burst out laughing, including the Grangers who didn't know Snape's mannerisms as well, but found it contagiously funny.

Luckily for Harry and Hermione a mess can be magicked clean with ease. The Grangers were ever so happy to see their daughter after an entire week. They had been aware that she was alive but had to play the part that she wasn't. They were still glad to see her and Harry both. As the euphoria from the praesangium wore off, Harry and Hermione grew sleepy and Harry dreamed.