Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

A blur, it was all a blur, and then he came to his senses cradling his Firebolt across his lap riding on a large flying carpet next to Tadra. Hermione and Ron were riding on the same carpet just behind him holding onto their brooms as well. Harry cleared his throat.

"Say again, where are we going?"

"To an oasis that father is Secret-Keeper of." Tadra showed them all a piece of parchment resembling a small map. At the bottom of the map were the words - Tadra will show you the location of our oasis. It was signed by Stronan Beladasan. Tadra promptly and carefully put the piece of parchment away.

"This oasis has been kept secret in my family for many generations. We will stay there until tomorrow at three in the afternoon. At that time we will fly five kilometers north and meet your friends and Ron Weasley's family. Does that answer your question, my husband?" Tadra smiled sweetly, the dry breeze blowing her silken black hair. Her dark on dark eyes gave away a young woman's fears but also a readiness for change and adventure.

Harry's face flushed at the word husband. He felt warm from his head to his toes. At the same time some commotion on the carpet behind him caught his attention. Hermione had leaped to her feet fumbling with her broom and nearly fell off the in-flight carpet before gaining control and bolting toward the open desert on her Nimbus.

"Hermione! Wait!" Harry stood up and prepared to mount his broom as Tadra brought the carpet to a stop.

"No, I think I should go get her Harry." Ron started to mount his own broom but Harry handed him his Firebolt. Ron understood the Firebolt would catch her quickly and took it letting his Nimbus drop to the carpet.

Harry watched anxiously as Ron easily caught up, and then flew along side her. They slowed and eventually circled back.

"Does your friend not want to return home?" Tadra asked watching curiously as Hermione and Ron returned.

"Yes, she wants to go home," Harry said feeling sick.

'What a mess I've got myself into,' he thought to himself.

A glance at Harry's face told Tadra a great deal. For a moment she looked sad, and then determined, before taking a kind and complacent composure while waiting for Hermione and Ron to return. After Ron gave Harry his broom back he sat down on the carpet behind Tadra. Hermione sat down behind Harry, averted her eyes from Harry or Tadra, and stoically focused on the desert landscape as Tadra moved the carpet forward again.

"Everyone will feel better when we reach the oasis. I have never been there but I have heard wonderful stories. It is supposed to be enchanted and very beautiful. We should reach the oasis by sunset."

During the few hours they had been traveling west, Harry had surveyed their surroundings in an excuse to get a look at Hermione behind him. She never looked back at him. He estimated they were traveling about sixty-five kilometers per hour and the sun would set soon. The flying carpet crested a rise revealing a low area in the surrounding terrain. Tadra raised her arm and pointed.

"There. There is the oasis."

The barren visage she pointed to wavered like a shimmering mirage and suddenly revealed a lush green oasis with a scattering of palm trees and a crystal clear pool of water reflecting the orange evening sun invitingly. A single royal-blue tent was pitched in a grassy area not far from the water.

"We shall be safe here until it is time to go."

After the carpet landed and they stepped off, it shrank to a one person carpet and rolled itself up. Harry took a look around, from all appearances they had stepped into the Garden of Eden. It was as lush as the desert was barren. Flowers were everywhere, brilliant colors of all shades and hues; blues, yellows, whites and reds. Their fragrant scents were light and captivating as delicate birdsong drifted on the air from somewhere unseen in dark green bushes. It was beautiful almost beyond description, but Hermione still avoided looking at him.

"I'm sure there is more to eat or drink within the tent. Perhaps you did not get enough at the feast. Or we can look around the oasis. What is your wish, my husband."

Harry winced and almost groaned audibly at the words "my husband".

"Tadra, we have to talk. This isn't going -."

"Perhaps in private, my husband. We could walk to the other side of the oasis."

"Don't mind me mate. I'm going to check out what there is to eat."

"So will I," Hermione added giving Harry a glance before following Ron into the tent.

Harry found himself preoccupied in thoughts of how this could have happened and how he was going to get across to Tadra that a marriage was not going to work. A small voice in Harry's head spoke.

'Especially since you love someone else'.

'But she can't love me. No one can. Not until the prophesy is fulfilled - one way or the other,' he thought grimly in answer.

Tadra had stopped in front of him and he realized they were on the other side of the oasis. The sun was setting and shadows were growing long. He suddenly found himself searching for words on what to say, but Tadra spoke first.

"I know our customs seem different from yours but such marriages as ours is not uncommon and can prove to be wondrous and full of joy if only given a chance. You are a famous person in our world. How could I be unhappy to be your wife? I know there are dangers ahead. I know our world is at war with the darkness - Voldemort and his followers. I am not unaccustomed to danger having lived on the edge of the Jaharu all my life. I will be honored to fight by your side. I will strive to be a good wife to you if only you give me the opportunity. A great wizard as yourself would not be unwilling to give this chance to try? Do you not find me attractive?"

Tadra stepped closer to Harry making him feel more uncomfortable than he already was. She was a few centimeters taller than Hermione but still shorter than he was. She looked up at him with dark pleading eyes.

"O - of course you're attractive but this can't work. I'm still going to school. I don't think they allow married students at Hogwarts."

Tadra countered by saying her family had a great deal of wealth and they could employ private instructors and that he should have no worries about how to support them both for the same reason. Harry never mentioned the Order but found he was unable to convince Tadra their sudden marriage could not possibly work. As their discussion continued Tadra became dejected.

"You would send me back to my family in shame?" Tadra had an anxious and fearful look, her eyes suggesting she held back tears.

Harry sighed and looked away toward the west horizon. There was only a small portion of bright orange above the cresting sand of the rolling dunes beyond the oasis. When Harry turned back to face Tadra again he was shocked.

"I have no shame. You are my husband. Do you not find me pleasing?" The image of seductive beauty she moved closer to him.

He was transfixed and for a moment, all he could think of was 'Wow!'. Then, 'No, no, I cannot allow this to happen'.

"Do you not think we could grow to love each other?"

Tadra had a face of exotic beauty and inviting soft lips, she moved close to him and reached out to embrace him. But Harry, without thought, waved his hand making Tadra's robe lift up from the soft grass and cover her. Immediately he turned away, he knew his face was flushed. Suddenly he realized what he had done. He turned back to face Tadra. A wand now firmly in his hand, as though it had been there all along.

"You can't love me Tadra! No one can! Not until - ." Harry didn't finish. He had said more than he wanted to. He had almost given away the fact he could do wandless magic besides telling her the prophesy. Tadra looked into his eyes with a penetrating gaze.

"There is someone else," she stated pursing her lips - lips that quivered from rejection and dark eyes that filled with unrestrained tears.

He didn't want her to cry. And with compassion, he held her.

"I'm too young to be married," he whispered trying to cover for so much that was unsaid.

Earlier, Hermione had made an excuse to explore the enchanted tent and maybe find a bathroom. It was only an excuse to slip out of the tent unseen and follow Harry and Tadra from a distance. She was too far away to hear what they said but she witnessed it all. She had gasped when Tadra dropped her robe to the grass. It was a bold and unabashed thing to do. It showed how determined Tadra was to make it a real marriage. And Hermione had to admit she was a beautiful girl despite the rage that welled up in her against Tadra. She turned away unable to watch any more. Hermione found herself filling with doubt that the marriage thrust upon Harry could be undone. She blamed herself for not being more assertive when Stronan was giving away his daughter. She thought Harry should have done more about it as well but ultimately blamed herself. She also felt overwhelming regret that she hadn't pushed Harry about their own relationship. But he had been through so much, she was unwilling make it worse by forcing him to open up and explain why he held back. What was wrong? Was it something about her he couldn't accept? Many thoughts went through her mind as tears fell. She decided to leave and not watch what else might happen for fear her heart would break. She dried her tears and tried not to dwell upon any further thoughts of self-reproach and concentrated instead upon next years classes and studying for her NEWTs. There would be other times to cry when no one would know.

The air was thick with tension as the clear evening sky grew darker. No one except Ron wanted to venture into the tent. Hermione had conjured a fire not far from the tent and the four of them sat around the fire not saying anything. Tadra had offered to have Harry sit beside her but he had declined. It ended up with Hermione sitting opposite the fire from Harry with Ron and Tadra on either side. Hermione's original intent had been to sit as far away as possible from Harry but now found looking at the fire and trying not to look at Harry's illuminated face on the other side to be difficult. The silence was awkward and obviously made Ron uncomfortable. Ron made feeble attempts to talk about something, anything, but whether he mentioned something about food, flying carpets, or Quidditch the conversation died away to nothing very quickly.

"I wish someone had a music player," Ron said with a sigh.

"An excellent idea Ron Weasley, but for lack of a music player I shall offer to sing instead. I do not know if you have heard this song, but it touched my heart the first time I heard it. It is about Merlin and how he used the 'Breath of Life' to save Nimue, the one he loved. The song is by Cheryl Silvertone and the song is 'Call My Name'.

Harry, Hermione and Ron were too surprised to say they had indeed heard it and Tadra didn't give them a chance either way, she started the song as Cheryl Silvertone had.

"Lost - near death - Nimue found herself in a strange, cold, and dark place. Where she was and which way to go she did not know. If only - someone - would call her name."

Harry looked toward Hermione. She gave him a fleeting smile, but turned away with a hurt look. Tadra could sing well, the minor key the song had been written in seemed to come natural to her.

"♫ Where am I, Call my name ♫," she sang.

Ron watched as Tadra poured out her voice. To him it was obvious Tadra was singing for Harry. Tadra could sing very well. Not as good as Silvertone but very good. Ron almost wished Tadra was singing for him. She was very beautiful, especially in the light of the fire across from him.

"♫ All alone, Call my name ♫."

Slowly Hermione was turning away less and less from Harry's steady gaze and warm smile. She couldn't seem to help herself. Tadra however was starting to become anxious as she was doing the singing and Harry wasn't even looking at her, but at Hermione.

"♫ I want to live, See the light, Give me life, Wake me with a kiss ♫."

Harry and Hermione were looking into each other's eyes intently. And to Tadra's surprise stood and started walking toward each other. The conjured fire extinguished itself as glittering, shimmering bright golden flame circled around Harry and Hermione. Tadra's singing trailed off to nothing as phoenix song emanated from the golden flames. They had lost themselves to each other and in a trance like state leaned forward, embraced and kissed. Red and gold flame erupted and lifted upward. A fiery phoenix took form illuminating the entire oasis. It spread its wings and gave a solitary beautiful note of hope.

What Tadra witnessed was nothing short of revelation. From where she had been sitting the fiery phoenix lit up the sandy dunes surrounding the oasis. For Tadra - the desert burned. Her recurring dream from childhood had become reality and she was overwhelmed, completely speechless.

The fiery phoenix descended bringing Harry and Hermione to their senses to realize what they had just done. Hermione's face screwed up in anguish before she turned and ran.

"Hermione, wait!" Harry yelled. He ran after her for about twenty meters but gave up wondering what he would tell her when he caught up to her.

The conjured fire reignited revealing Tadra with wide eyes and gaping mouth. Ron looked at her and shrugged.

"Amazing isn't it. I've seen that happen before but I still don't know what to make of it."

Hermione ran. She ran away from the oasis. She didn't care where she went so long as it was away. Tears made it difficult to see and the occasional involuntary sob made it that much more difficult to breathe.

"Hermione Granger."

Hermione stopped, surprised. Tadra was standing in front of her in the dim light.

"I have witnessed something wondrous this evening and I am willing to annul my marriage with Harry Potter. Please return, I beg of you."

Hermione didn't know what to say. It was just as well, she was out of breath and part way up the sandy dune away from the oasis. It was odd that Tadra wasn't breathing hard. Tadra didn't have a carpet or a broom and Hermione didn't hear the familiar pop from apparating. However, Tadra had just said she was willing to annul the marriage and that was enough for Hermione to agree. Hermione caught her breath and wiped her face before heading back with Tadra to the conjured fire by the tent.

Hermione walked up to find everyone sitting around the fire. Harry was looking upset, Ron was looking perplexed and Tadra was sitting in a full lotus position meditating. Hermione did a double take and then looked behind her. She was sure Tadra had been walking just behind her.

"Glad to see you made it back. I think everyone was starting to worry." Ron looked relieved to see her.

"Hermione?" What Harry was really asking was whether she was alright.

Tadra stood up with grace and purpose. She nodded to Hermione and then turned to Harry.

"Harry Potter. This evening I have seen a fiery phoenix, something of myth and legend. The entire oasis and the desert sand that surrounds it was illuminated by its presence. I have seen - ." Tadra's voice faltered and then she went on. "I have seen the desert burn. I am now willing to annul our marriage on the condition you accept me as your sister. Are you agreed to this, Harry Potter?"

Harry had felt so awful only moments before, he was more than willing to agree. He paused only long enough to look from Ron, who nodded vigorously; to Hermione, who gave a single long nod.

"I agree."

"Very well." Tadra knelt before him.

Harry could hardly believe it. Tadra was offering a solution to his problem. He didn't understand the sister part but that concerned him less than the thought she might change her mind about the offer she had just made.

Kneeling before Harry she pulled her marriage bond out from around her neck and held up the bronze medallion with the lightning bolt side up. She looked up at Harry with confidence in her decision.

"Touch the medallion with your wand. I will recite the incantation."

For Harry the dread of the situation was lifting and being replaced with hope that it was all going to work out. He touched the medallion with his wand.

"Repeat after me. Adfectio muto emendo sororfamilias igitur receptum."

Harry repeated her words and the medallion turned silver instead of bronze. Tadra stood and looked to Harry warmly with a hint of trepidation.

"I understand you have no magical family to call your own. I am honored and humbled that you would accept me as your sister." Tadra opened her arms tentatively and expectantly.

Harry hesitated as the realization sunk in. Even if it was only temporary the idea of family touched a chord. A huge smile spread across Harry's face and he gave Tadra a big hug.

"What's wrong Tadra?" Harry asked realizing that Tadra was crying.

"Forgive me, all of you. It has been a most trying day. I suddenly feel very much alone."

"You shouldn't feel that way. You are among friends and a new brother." Hermione couldn't help herself and smiled as she said brother.

"You would be my friend Hermione Granger? And you, Ron Weasley?"

"Of course I would." Hermione gave a genuine smile.

"Me too. Harry's my best friend. His sister would be my friend too."

"Thank you."

To everyone's surprise Tadra cried uncontrollably. The trio closed in to console her.

"Tadra, what's wrong?"

"I fear that you are all I have. By becoming your sister I will have shamed my family. They will not understand, nor will they take me back," Tadra sobbed.

Tadra was not convinced by their persuasion that everything would work out and that Albus Dumbledore would be able to reason with Tadra's family. Tadra brightened at the suggestion that she might be able to attend Hogwarts with them. Hermione pointed out that Tadra might have to take her OWL's with the Ministry's Board of Education. Tadra did not think that would be insurmountable and accepted Hermione's offer to help prepare for the exams should she have to take them.

"I am quite capable of working. I do not wish to be a burden upon anyone."

"Right, you could work for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes."

Ron's suggestion immediately touched off a debate with Hermione about the merits of working versus further education and whether Tadra would even want to work in a joke shop. While the minor debate waged Tadra tried to get more information about the joke shop and Ron's relationship with the owners.

"That won't be necessary. I can't imagine a Potter being turned away from Hogwarts."

"Tadra Beladasan Potter," Tadra said the name slowly and then threw herself around Harry, all smiles. "I no longer feel so alone. Thank you, my brother."

"Then why are you still crying?" Ron asked.

"A girl's prerogative," Hermione stated in Tadra's defense.

"Thank you again Hermione Granger." Tadra gave her a hug. "And you as well, Ron Weasley." Tadra gave Ron a hug. Ron looked surprised, but smiled broadly returning the hug.

"Oy, Harry. You don't mind me hugging your sister?" Ron teased grinning.

"I suppose I could overlook it," Harry grinned back at him as Ron gave a sudden mock look of offense.

Tadra dried her tears as Hermione commented on the night time temperature of the oasis.

"It doesn't seem to be getting very cool here at night."

"You are correct Hermione Granger. The oasis is enchanted. The days and nights are always pleasant."

"Please, just Hermione is fine."

"And Ron for me."

"I shall endeavor to try."

It was a beautiful evening, very dark beyond the light of the conjured fire, very pleasant, and the water lapped the shore lightly from a gentle breeze.

"A swim sounds good."

Harry's thought, spoken aloud, broke an unnoticed silence. It was as if everyone had been thinking the same thing.

▪▪

It had been a mad dash gathering up their things and heading north out of the oasis. The afternoon had come so quickly, or had they all been caught up in paradise and merely forgotten. Harry was riding his broom with Ron flying alongside on his. Hermione and Tadra were riding on Tadra's flying carpet. No sooner had they left the oasis than Harry found himself feeling self-conscious. His thought was on the last thing Hermione had said before they realized they were supposed to be leaving.

"Harry, there's only a towel between us."

Harry's thought was broken as Ron flew in closer. There was a mixed look on his face.

"Say, um, did you and Hermione?"

Harry felt himself blush.

"No, no. Nothing like that. Just a little carried away. Seemed like we all got a bit carried away."

Ron's ears turned red as he picked up on Harry's inferred question.

"No, nothing happened. Er, not really. Well, I . . . I kissed your sister. Well, she's not really your sister. She was your wife for about two hours tops. Now she's your adopted sister and . . . and I can't believe how strange this feels. You're not sore are you mate? I mean for kissing Tadra?"

"No, and yeah I know how you feel," Harry agreed with Ron and didn't care to talk much more about it for the time being.

On the carpet another conversation was taking place.

"You have said little Hermione Granger. My pardon, I mean Hermione. Perhaps something has happened at the oasis to make you uncomfortable?"

Hermione blushed.

"I can't believe I did all that. The swimming . . . was. I mean . I mean my honor is intact."

"As well as is mine. And I do understand the uncomfortable feeling. It is not in my nature to kiss someone I hardly know. I will say however, between just the two of us, that Ron catches on quickly to the art of kissing."

Hermione looked at Tadra in surprise trying not to return Tadra's wry smile.

"You may recall I said the oasis was enchanted? A more complete explanation would be to say it is a bridal oasis - a honeymoon enchantment that relaxes inhibitions and brings out the more playful nature of a newlywed couple. This would explain yesterday evening's swim and whatever else may have happened that normally we might not do. It is well we did not stay much longer."

Both girls started giggling.

"Oh dear, I should tell Harry."

"Yes, we should tell both Harry and Ron. But I see no reason to rush."

Tadra's mischievous smile led to another bout of giggling. Soon Hermione became quiet and then serous.

"Tadra, I would really like to know why your father married you to Harry like that."

"I am not certain, but I think it was to remove me from harm. There has been much treachery unleashed these past few days and if it was Chatha Sigeal it would explain much of my father's actions. I was betrothed to Chatha's son, Typhon. When Harry destroyed the doppelganger and helped win the Quidditch match he provided an excuse for father to abandon the prior arrangement. I am sure father did not anticipate an annulment." With those last words Tadra gave a heavy sigh and became silent. The desert air blowing the girls' hair was the only sound made on the carpet as the four neared their destination.

Tadra's carpet slowed and landed softly on the hot desert sand. Harry and Ron flew past and circled back.

"There's no one here. Maybe we should fly on a little further," Ron suggested.

"We were instructed to fly five kilometers north of the oasis and wait. My carpet is very accurate in matters of distance." Tadra gently stroked the fabric of her carpet. A tasseled corner curled slightly in response.

"There." Harry pointed toward the northeast sky. "I think I see them coming."

"You have a good eye, my brother."

There was more than a hint of nervousness in Tadra's voice and Harry wondered why. He started to wonder whether Tadra would actually go back with him or return to her family. He didn't have time to wonder long. Ginny came flying in on a broom ahead of a large carpet accompanied by several smaller ones. She made a perfect landing, dropped her broom on the sand and practically lunged at them hugging and thanking Merlin they were all okay. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, including Fred, George and Bill, soon landed on the large carpet. The pilot of the large carpet stepped onto a smaller one and quickly joined five others circling above. Harry assumed they were checking over the surrounding area.

It was a touching moment as Ron tenderly hugged his mother, her arm in a sling, her free arm resting on a cane. Harry and Hermione took their turn after Ron but Harry felt his eyes water as relief bubbled to the surface. It was an emotionally charged reunion and after the customary formal hand shakes between members of the Order, chatter erupted from all sides. Which would explain why Harry hadn't noticed Tadra move further away as Ginny made her landing. He also didn't see Tadra pull on a gold chain from around her neck with shaking hands and expose a silver medallion.

Khalfani had been riding one of the accompanying smaller carpets. He waved and smiled broadly showing lots of white teeth as he approached. Upon landing he spied the silver medallion about his sisters neck and his face fell. With each step he took, his face became more grim. Khalfani noted the lightning bolt image on the medallion and stood before his trembling sister not saying a word. Finally he spoke in his native tongue.

"What have you done?"

"I did what I had to. I did what was right. My dream came true Khalfani. The desert burned," Tadra explained pleading for understanding.

"A dream? You have shamed your family over a dream?"

Tadra started to speak but Khalfani cut her off, his voice rising in intensity.

"It does not matter how long you've had this dream of yours. You have shamed us!"

The heated argument finally caught everyone's attention.

"Who is . . .?" Mrs. Weasley began to ask but stopped as Khalfani turned on his heel, walked away from Tadra, and up to Harry. There was a mixture of hurt and anger in Khalfani's expression.

"She is your responsibility now."

Khalfani stepped onto his carpet and flew away. Tadra looked on as he flew out of sight and tears began to flow. Harry made his way over to Tadra and the rest followed.

Tadra only stared off into the distance where Khalfani had gone as Harry stood beside her. Still staring up at the empty sky she choked out the words.

"I have no where to go."

"Yes you do. You can come with us."

Tadra turned and buried her head onto Harry's shoulder and sobbed. No one said anything as Harry patted her gently on the shoulder.

"I'm sorry, forgive me." Tadra fumbled for a kerchief and wiped her face. She turned to the group and said, "My name is -"

"Tadra Beladasan Potter. This is my adopted sister," Harry finished saying it for her, introducing her to everyone.

Questions and explanations were coming from too many different directions all at once. Mr. Weasley brought it all to a halt by raising his hands and saying.

"That's enough."

"Quite right dear." Mrs. Wealey nodded to her husband and then spoke to Tadra.

"Tadra, that's your name right?"

Tadra gave a nod.

"That was your brother who just left?"

Tadra gave a nod.

"Am I to understand your brother has just said you are not welcome to go home and left without you?"

Tadra pursed her lips and gave a nod. More tears threatened to pour forth as her eyes watered.

"You poor dear, of course you can come with us."

With that settled, they made their way to the large carpet resting on the sand. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were pleased to see Adofo and Abasi come gliding in to greet them. They were among their now five wizard escort. The other three wizards on carpets, satisfied the area was clear, joined them as well. Adofo and Abasi stepped forward, bowed and smiled broadly.

"Abasi and I are most pleased to see you well."

"Yes, most pleased."

"Adofo, you've been hurt," Hermione said with concern.

"This?" he said in good humor putting a hand to his face.

Like a proud warrior he stroked a long purple scar that went from his chin to just under his right ear. It was a very pronounced scar that showed through his dark whiskers.

"It is nothing. A small reminder of our fight with the Death Eater scum when last we met. The Jaukaw Deshin that gave it to me did not fair so well." Adofo grinned menacingly.

Adofo made introductions of their additional escort to Harry, Hermione, and Ron. To Hermione all five bowed deeply in reverence and said in unison, "Lady Ast, blessed is your return." Harry had to suppress a grin at Hermione's uncomfortable look. After Harry and Ron, Adofo inquired whether they had another passenger referring to Tadra. Harry quickly introduced Tadra as he had to the Weasley's.

"Beladasan? Are you Stronan Beladasan's daughter?" Adofo asked in surprise. "Many pardons, I was not aware." All five of the escorting wizards bowed to Tadra. It looked as though Adofo was about to ask Tadra a question and then thought better of it.

With introductions over the three new escorting wizards took to the air to patrol once again. Abasi explained that the large carpet would be camouflaged with a disillusionment charm and that it would be dangerous to walk around on. For obvious reasons it was preferred that everyone stay below in the hold of the large carpet. The hold was accessed through a trap door in the carpet. And because they would be traveling a long distance the escort would take shifts flying on guard. Everyone climbed below and they were off.

Unnoticed by all was a lone person watching from a distance. Khalfani was not about to let his sister be abandoned in the desert with nothing but her wand and a carpet. Had Harry and the others decided not to take her along he would have risked his father's wrath and made arrangements for her to stay somewhere in the Magusa. When she left with them on the large carpet he was relieved, but his heart was heavy at the same time. He doubted this was what his father had intended and dreaded telling him.

Harry found the hold of the carpet to be very much like the hold of a ship except that the floors, walls and ceilings were all carpeted. The walls and ceilings were various solid colors, changing from room to room, of mauve, tan, and ivory. The ceilings were the colorful intricate woven patterns of the carpet above and were brightly illuminated from small slits in the ceiling corners. There were also scattered pictures of the surrounding desert landscape and like all wizarding pictures, they were moving images. Harry suddenly saw one of the escorting wizards on his carpet fly across the picture. He realized the pictures were enchanted to show the outside. To make sure he was right he lifted the frame to find nothing but carpeted wall. After strolling through the hold and determining sleeping quarters they all headed to the galley. Bill stopped in front of a picture.

"What's this about? Look at all the birds."

"Careful where you step," said the agitated pilot as they climbed up through the trap door and stepped out onto the carpet that was the same color as the sand several hundred feet below. Their escort was huddled up on one end of the large carpet talking rapidly and animatedly, pointing at the beautiful birds flying all around them. There had to be a flock of over a hundred birds ranging from small multicolored parrots to large head-crested birds with fantastically adorned long tail feathers. It was an amazing display of plumage, color and grace of flight and their numbers were steadily growing as more joined flying in from all directions.

"They're beautiful!" Ginny exclaimed over the rush of air.

"My heart is glad at such beauty but they give away our position," Abasi said with concern.

"Look!"

Tadra pointed and everyone looked. There were now a pair of dragons that had joined the birds in flight. And not only were they beautifully scaled in dazzling colors of glittering reflected light they were also changing colors.

"Shatau dragons!" exclaimed Abassi.

"Chameleon dragons? I've heard of such dragons but I know of no one who has ever seen one," said the pilot.

"I have. My great grandfather was said to have seen one. But here there are two," said Tadra.

"Another time and I would rejoice at such a rare and beautiful sight, but we will be seen. There is no choice. We must force them to leave," Adofo said tensely. He and the other four of the escort raised their wands.

"No, don't hurt them!" Hermione said in a panic. "Come on Harry, help me." Hermione began to shoo them away, waving her arms anxiously and pleading for them to leave. Harry began to do the same without giving a thought as to how ridiculous his and Hermione's actions were. As if in response, the flock dispersed. Harry and Hermione looked at each other in complete surprise hardly believing their actions could have had any effect and neither could anyone else. The birds left just as mysteriously as they had come.

Below in the hold Hermione had managed to find a book on birds and dragons in her trunk and the next few hours were spent identifying all the species they had seen and speculating as to why they had appeared and left. As to the latter, Tadra kept whatever wild suspicions she had to herself.

The rest of the evening, and late into the night, was spent in the small but comfortable galley explaining how Tadra had become Harry's sister and their adventure of survival crossing the Jaharu. By the way Fred and George were grinning at the disclosure that Harry had been married to Tadra for a couple of hours he was sure they would never let him live the fact down and was almost glad they wouldn't be at Hogwarts the next year. Harry mentioned that Tadra would like to attend Hogwarts but that Hermione thought Tadra would be required to take OWLs. Mr. Weasley confirmed that OWLs would be needed for Tadra to attend sixth year. Fred and George made light of going to Hogwarts and pointed out that in her present situation she could do whatever she wanted including becoming an assistant at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. Upon hearing that, Mrs. Weasley pointed out that Tadra was still considered under age and was adamant that Tadra would go to Hogwarts. Further, that Arthur would use his influence at the Ministry if needed. Mr. Weasley looked uncomfortable but said that he would do what he could if some problem arose.

The big news from home was a new Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour. Mr. Weasley said he was a better man for the job than Fudge but that he was still more of a politician than an Auror even if he had been the Head of the Auror Office. The tragic news was that Mrs. Figg had been injured in a fight with Death Eaters. Physically she was mending but she no longer remembered having been an Auror. In her mind she had immersed herself into the roll of Harry's long time neighbor that she had played for so many years.

The next morning the large carpet and the escort was flying high over the Mediterranean north of Malta and south of Sicily. All was heavily magicked with anti-muggle charms and well camouflaged. From above everything looked the color of the sea and from below all looked the color of the sky including the occasional cloud. Everyone but the older of the Weasley's slept in late the next morning. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill, Fred and George had decided to meet early to discuss Tadra, and what to do with her. It was not up to them to induct her into the Order and therefore they couldn't take her directly to headquarters as they had originally planned for Harry. Since the Weasley's were currently staying at headquarters she couldn't stay with them. It was a given that Tadra wouldn't go with Harry to stay with the Dursley's and it was still another three weeks before term would start. Mrs. Weasley wondered if Tonks wouldn't mind putting her up. Bill suggested Fleur might not mind. Mr. Weasley thought the Granger's would be willing. Fred and George suggested Verity, their shop assistant ,had been looking for a roommate and that they were still looking to hire another full time assistant. Mrs. Weasley pointedly ignored their suggestion and taunting grins. Regardless of what would be decided Dumbledore would need to be notified. Bill climbed up the trap door to check with their escort and sent Dumbledore an update by messenger spell.

Three in the morning is a dreadful time to be woken up. Even worse to have to depart a warm bunk and stand on top of a flying carpet in the damp, chill night air, the smell of ocean, along with rain falling on the hood of your cloak. A feeble flash of lightning off in the distance briefly illuminated the huddled group and armed escort with wands drawn. An electric blue orb floated up toward them out of the darkness and rain. Harry knew at once it was Mad Eye coming to meet them.

Three wand tips lit up with light revealing Mad Eye's scarred and chiseled face. With his hood down the rain had soaked his grizzled gray hair and made it look darker than it normally would. Harry heard Tadra give a small gasp. Harry realized how gruesome Mad Eye could look.

"It's okay, he's one of us," Harry whispered. "His name is Mad Eye Moody."

"Alastor Moody," Hermione whispered correcting him.

Moody hovered next to the carpet on his broom.

"Could have been better weather," he growled. "Arthur." Moody held out his hand for the customary greeting and for recognition of Order members. Always wary, Moody kept his other hand inside his cloak. They shook hands and Moody relaxed. Mr. Weasley nodded to their escort who turned their attention to the surrounding darkness.

"I heard you had a rough time of if. Good to see you're in one piece Molly, nothing too serious? Good, well time to get a few of you off to the Leaky." Moody reached under his cloak and pulled out a diner plate with a dark intricate pattern around the rim. Harry got a better look and saw the pattern was intertwined snakes.

"That looks familiar."

"It should, it's from the Black estate - your place. Arthur, conjure something to set this on. I'll make a Portkey."

Mr. Weasley conjured a simple wooden stand on the large carpet. Then with a spell from Moody's wand the plate glowed blue and vibrated before returning to normal.

"All right give a three count and touch it at the same time."

Harry, Hermione and Tadra stepped forward.

"Dumbledore said Granger and Potter. Who's this?"

"This is Tadra Beladasan Potter, my adopted sister," Harry said introducing Tadra.

"Mother of Merlin," he growled and squinted at Harry and then at Tadra. "That's what Dumbledore meant by Granger and the Potters. I don't like it. She could be a spy."

Moody's magical eye was going into overdrive looking Tadra up and down and once spun completely around in Moody's head before he regained control of it.

Tadra dropped her rain soaked hood with a jerk.

"I am no spy for Voldemort filth!" she said in defiance.

"Don't get your boom in a knot. You don't live as long as I have without being suspicious and whether it's a fault or virtue I speak my mind - and trust is earned."

"Trust is mutually earned," Tadra retorted, still in defiance.

Moody's face twisted and Harry wasn't entirely sure but it looked like he was smiling.

Put your hood back on and let's get this over with. It's raining and I intend to dry off and get a cup of hot tea on Tanner's ship below and hear all about what's happened before flying back."

"We'll see you three at the Leaky Cauldron this evening," Mrs. Weasley assured them. "We'll bring your trunks and Tadra's carpet."

"And remember Hermione, it probably won't do you any good to try and Floo to your parents. The Ministry will most likely have that disconnected. I'm sure Hedwig will show up at the Leaky today and you can owl them if you like," Mr. Weasley reminded them.

"Be sure to be quiet when you Portkey to the back room at the Leaky," Moody growled. "Tom has made sure the room will be empty and doesn't want to know anything more about it. Make your way out front and ring the bell," instructed Moody.

Hermione initiated a three count and they touched the plate. This would be the fourth time Harry had traveled by Portkey and he was determined not to fall to the floor when they landed. The familiar feeling of being hooked just behind the navel and the rush of howling wind, darkness, and a lightning flash before things began to slow. He and Hermione stepped neatly onto a hardwood floor and quickly steadied Tadra to keep her from falling. They were in an empty candlelit room.

"I do not like Porkeys," Tadra mumbled.

A sleepy-eyed Tom showed them to their rooms. Harry saw Hermione eye the fireplace as they went through the large dining room full of tables with the chairs turned on top of them. He knew she wanted to go home and see her family, especially her baby sister, Miranda.

Later that morning they all three had breakfast. Tadra asked about the plate Moody had used as a Portkey and that if Harry had a place of his own why they couldn't stay there.

Harry grimaced at the thought of how he had lost his Godfather.

"I am sorry my brother. If this is an unpleasant subject."

"No, er, yes. It is, but I should tell you just the same."

He told Tadra he couldn't say why they couldn't stay there, only that it was being used by friends. Harry explained as best he could how he had ended up with the Black estate. Hermione filled in for him when he was at a loss for words. Tadra was surprised that Sirius was not the true traitor of Harry's parents as her father, Stronan, had read about . Hermione explained that the Ministry didn't care to elaborate on their mistakes and that it was a wonder they admitted Voldemort was back and that they had lost control of the Dementors. Eventually it came up how Harry spent part of his summer every year with his aunt, uncle and cousin. Hermione said they were dreadful muggles and hated to see him stay there but that it was the safest place he could stay because of the ancient magical protection Dumbledore had invoked. Tadra was intrigued by muggles. Mainly by the fact she had never had much of any interaction with them. She had been brought up to keep separate from muggles as much as possible but to treat them with care and respect and protect them from harm of magic whenever needed. Hermione mentioned that her parents were muggles. Harry said he was fairly sure both his mother's parents were muggles. Then Harry mentioned a little known fact that Voldemort's father was a muggle. Tadra's jaw dropped open.

"The Jaukaw Deshin is not a pureblood at all, but a fraud. He uses the vices of those around him as though they were puppets."

"To those closest to him, that know his dirty little secret, he tells them he has transformed himself into the pureblood of his ancestor Salazar Slytherin. But even that's a lie. He used my blood to renew his present body."

"Your blood?" Tadra gasped. "I - I did not know."

The table became silent as Tadra contemplated all she had learned and Harry immersed himself in self-examination of his troubled life - a life that would end in death or murder between himself and Voldemort.

"Where's Hedwig?" Hermione asked irritably.

"Dunno, she'll show up sometime today I'm sure." Realizing Hermione was wanting to owl her parents. "Er, I'm sure you could use an owl from Diagon Alley, or maybe Tom has one you can borrow."

"I can't stand it anymore. I really want to go home. I'm going to try it anyway."

Hermione stood up from her chair, approached the large fireplace, tossed in some Floo powder, stepped into the green flames and said, "Grangers". Nothing happened. Hermione stepped out and cursed under her breath. She was definitely in a foul mood.

"The Weasley's won't be here until evening. Why don't we take a taxi and go see your parents."

"A muggle taxi?" Tadra said with interest. "I have never ridden in one and I would enjoy meeting your parents, Hermione."

"I - suppose I could," she said brightening. "But Harry, you really shouldn't leave the Leaky Cauldron."

"And why not?" he grinned. Harry reached into the pocket of his cloak and pulled out just enough of the silvery liquid-like material of his invisibility cloak for Hermione to see. "Doesn't hurt to be prepared," he said with a wink.

"Okay," Hermione said excitedly. "We don't want to look conspicuous. We should put on regular muggle clothes. Drat, our trunks are with the Weasley's."

"I think there's a shopping center on Oxford Road."

"Yes! Let's give it a go. Up to a bit of shopping Tadra? By the way Harry, do you have any muggle money in case I run short?"

"I think I've got enough for all of us," Harry said magnanimously.

▪▪

"So, I get to entertain you while everyone else shows Tadra the house." Harry didn't mind holding Miranda. She was a little thing, loosely bundled in a soft blanket. A pair of small blue eyes watched him with interest. The only other baby he had held was with Hermione. The baby Hermione had somehow managed to save from dying. He tried to think of the little girl's name. Sagira came to mind.

"You've got your mum's blue eyes I see. You don't have much hair, but I'd say it's blonde like your mum's. Are you going to have curly hair like your dad and your big sister?"

Harry stroked the blonde fuzz that was currently Miranda's hair. She waved short pudgy arms and made bubbles from a small mouth. Harry glanced around the living room and listened to voices upstairs. He listened intently to be sure he heard everyone's individual voice.

"You want to know a secret?" he whispered. "I'm desperately in love with your big sister and someday - I intend to tell her so." It seemed to lighten his heart to have said it, but a storm of thoughts began to cloud his mind to all the unknowns that lie ahead. Little Miranda wiggled and stretched. Harry sighed.

"Sorry, I should do a better job entertaining. Did you know your sister is the smartest witch in Hogwarts? And I'll bet you're going to be a witch too." Harry put his finger to her nose. She blinked and made faces. Harry could almost believe she smiled. He told her about having a sister too and how strange it was, and that it was sort of nice to think of having magical family. Harry talked to Miranda of the importance of family and how lucky she was to have a mum and dad that loved her so much. In the course of Harry imparting his thoughts of life to Miranda she managed to clutch one of Harry's fingers. She delighted in Harry shaking her entire hand with his finger. Harry suddenly realized he was being watched.

"Er, is something wrong?"

"No, nothing at all Harry," Mr. Granger said approvingly.

"You look very good holding Miranda," Mrs. Granger smiled.

"You do well with children, my brother."

Hermione didn't say anything except give an odd smile.

Harry couldn't figure it out. He was only entertaining Miranda.

▪▪

"Remus and Bill are here," Hermione whispered sideways to the empty space behind Tadra and herself, as they walked into the Leaky Cauldron. Hermione waved to Remus and Bill sitting at a table against the far wall away from the bar.

Hermione stopped abruptly, Tadra turned to her with a questioning look as Hermione was bumped from behind by an invisible Harry.

"Sorry," Harry whispered.

"Uh oh, they don't look happy."

Harry watched as Remus motioned for them to join by pointing at the table. And she was right, they didn't look too happy but Bill looked somewhat amused at the same time. They made their way back to the table as Hermione and Tadra positioned themselves so that Harry could pull off his invisibility cloak without drawing too much attention.

"I thought as much," Remus eyed Harry as he appeared from behind the girls. "And dressed for mischief as well." Remus looked them over, still dressed in new muggle clothes.

"We've done nothing wrong. We've only gone to see my parents and my baby sister."

"Yes, we came to that conclusion. And truthfully I don't blame you. Harry, however, should have remained at the Leaky Cauldron. And you must be Tadra." Remus reached out to shake Tadra's hand. "My name is Remus Lupin. I knew Harry's father and mother. I'm also one of Harry's four guardians."

"Four guardians? Is not that unusual -" Tadra jerked her hand away. "You are . . . a . ."

"A werewolf? Is that the word you were searching for? I must say you are very astute in making such a quick observation. And yes, unfortunately I am afflicted with the curse."

"Forgive me. I apologize," Tadra stuttered. She put her hand back out again.

"Please, don't be embarrassed. And - ." Remus cupped both his hands around Tadra's. "Thank you."

A formal greeting with everyone else followed. All shook hands confirming their identity as a member of the Order. A fact that Tadra was unaware of.

Bill let out a laugh that made his fang earring jiggle.

"Sorry, Remus. I know it's not funny but the Ministry's bumbling and fumbling deserves a good laugh."

Remus looked sideways at Bill trying to suppress a grin.

"Yes, I admit there's an element of humor to the situation but it only points out how inept our own government is and that we're in no way ready to deal with you know who."

"Why is the Ministry so upset? Just because Harry went on holiday?" Hermione asked curtly.

"Oh I'm sure you know it's more than that or we wouldn't have taken such extremes in getting Harry out of the country. By the way Harry, I heard about your disguise," Remus grinned.

"Er, ah, yeah. It was different," Harry replied with a touch of color rising in his face.

"I have not heard of this disguise, my brother."

"With the help of some polyjuice, Harry went as my muggle friend Melanie for the first part of the trip," Hermione explained in a matter of fact tone and a glint of mischief in her chocolate brown eyes.

"Indeed," Tadra smiled raising an eyebrow.

"Pleeease, don't tell anyone else. Especially anyone at Hogwarts," Harry pleaded as more color rose in his face.

With a few chuckles everyone agreed.

"It was bad enough that the Ministry lost track of Harry and worse that he had left the country without their knowledge. They didn't want to make you aware of your importance to them by formally giving you notice not to travel abroad. When they lost track of Harry there was a frantic scramble to find him. We heard from Kingsley earlier that the Ministry sent several Aurors here to the Leaky today looking for whoever had attempted to use the Floo network and go to the Grangers." Remus gave a nod to Hermione.

"Yeah, that was me."

"Evidently the same group of Aurors have visited your parents and learned you and Harry were headed back here."

"What?" Hermione scowled. "I hope they weren't rude to my parents. And why didn't they know we had arrived at my parents house in the first place? I thought they were supposed to have someone on watch."

"Apparently not anymore and Dumbledore wants to talk to you about that later. Don't worry, we've got someone of our own on watch since what happened last summer."

"Can't you just picture it though? The bumbling Ministry bouncing around looking for Harry and always one step behind," Bill grinned. Harry and Hermione grinned as well.

"Anyway, Harry," Remus interrupted the revelry. "The Ministry knows you're here at the Leaky and I wouldn't be surprised to see someone show up soon and tell you not to make future plans to travel without informing them first."

"We all know I'm so bloody important," Harry said sarcastically. "But now that there's a new Minister why can't the Or- I mean why can't we join forces with the Ministry?"

Remus leaned back and looked at Harry thoughtfully.

"Maybe a brief lesson on politics would help. Governments, and people in power, can easily forget that their real job is to serve the people that elect them. They begin to fear losing the position and influence they covet, and become ever watchful of any perceived threat. The Ministry, past and current, fears Dumbledore wants to take over. They also fear those loyal to Dumbledore and any allies he may have for the same reason. Not to mention the Flamels and whomever they may associate with. Even though the Philosopher's Stone has been destroyed they know the Flamels have the knowledge to make another one."

"We're not the enemy," Harry groused in complaint.

"Of course, you know who and his followers are the real enemy. The Ministry has finally answered the wakeup call after a long bitter denial by Fudge. They are now in the process of reorganizing to face what truly threatens us all, but they are dismally behind. At present, the Ministry believes that you know who can still be defeated but they keep a watchful eye out for anyone else that may disrupt the status quo and that includes us. We have gained allies in Egypt because of you and Hermione. The Ministry could gain allies as well but they will insist on being in complete control and most allies will not tolerate being micro managed."

"That's why the Goblins will not throw in with the Ministry. They see you know who as a very real threat but are currently remaining neutral," Bill added. "The Goblins are more interested in turning a profit than in gaining power and control. And they don't like being denied the right to carry a wand or being so strictly controlled. They don't trust you know who but they don't like the current situation either."

"I'll give you proof the Ministry hasn't changed that much. Though she doesn't carry the influence she once did - your old friend Delores Umbridge is still at the Ministry.

"No!" Harry exclaimed.

"The fools She's a horrible evil person and may just as well be a Death Eater," Hermione fumed.

"Wotcher everyone."

Tonks greeted everyone enthusiastically. Her hair was now, short, curly and snow white, highlighted with streaks of bright blue. She shook hands with Remus and gave him a warm smile that seemed to make him uncomfortable.

"Why the dark faces?"

"I just told them Umbridge was still with the Ministry."

"Yeah, not a bright move to keep her. I certainly do my best to steer clear of her. She's a horrible witch." Tonks gave a shudder and made a face as if she had just taken a vile tasting potion.

"Oh my, look at the time," Hermione said. "Er, ah, Tadra, Tonks. Would you like to join me in a quick bit of shopping in Diagon Alley? We won't be gone long."

"Love to," said Tonks

"I would be delighted to join you, Hermione. Will my brother join us again as well?"

Hermione shook her head no, not giving Harry a chance to respond.

"Don't care for discussing politics?" Remus teased.

"It was very informative it's just a matter of time, that's all. I think the rest of the Weasley's will be showing up soon."

"Less, Percy," Bill said flatly.

No sooner had the girls left to do some last minute shopping than Fleur apparated with a pop.

"Bill, am I late?" Fleur put her arms around Bill and gave him a quick kiss and looked around the table as he told her she wasn't late and that the rest of the family wasn't there yet.

"Oh, 'arry there you are. So good to see you again," she said with a flourish rounding the table and giving Harry a kiss on the cheek. Harry rolled his eyes at the ceiling making Bill and Remus chuckle.

'ello Remus, you 're looking good. Ah, forgive my manners. Zee formalities must be attended to."

Fleur shook everyone's hand. Harry wasn't too surprised to discovery Fleur was now a member of the Order. And his suspicions that Bill and Fleur were close was confirmed when she complained to Bill that his parents were always late and then she started talking schedules about what they were going to do the rest of the weekend. Harry didn't really listen. He looked around the Leaky Cauldron at the movement and chatter of people and the occasional pop of someone apparating or disapparating. At one table some elderly wizards were smoking pipes with various colors of smoke rising into the air. There was the clink of glasses behind the bar and the clatter of dishes from the kitchen behind. The dark wood floor was old and worn, and creaked whenever anyone walked across it.

"Lost in thought Harry," Remus asked as Bill and Fleur continued their discussion.

"I was just thinking how good it is to be back. You know, a familiar place. We had a rough time of it in the desert. We were lucky to make it out alive. Ron almost didn't and I still don't understand how that happened. Of course, I'm not complaining." Harry laughed and then realized he was the center of attention.

"We are all very glad you, Ron, and Hermione have returned zafe and zound. Maybe we could hear more - ," Fleur suddenly straightened after glancing past Bill. "Minister, a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure is mine, have we met before?"

"Not formally Minister. I am Fleur Delacour and this is my fiancé Bill Weasley."

"A pleasure," the Minister replied not taking his eyes off Fleur.

Harry had to admit Fleur did have an effect on men. Although she didn't seem to be nearly as attractive to him as she had the year before.

'Maybe it's because you've already given your heart away,' a small voice spoke from within.

Even though he had admitted to little Miranda earlier that he did love Hermione, a pang of fear shot through him just the same. Harry turned his attention to the new Minister of Magic. He looked rather like an old lion. There were streaks of grey in his mane of tawny hair and his bushy eyebrows; he had keen yellowish eyes behind a pair of wire-rimmed spectacles and a certain rangy, loping grace even though he walked with a slight limp.

"Oh, look Bill. Your family has arrived. We must be going Minister. It was a pleasure to meet you."

"The pleasure was all mine." The Minister looked on as Fleur and Bill left the table to join the rest of the Weasley's. Harry saw Ron put his hand up in jovial salutation and start to walk over to join Harry. Mr. Weasley reigned him in, spoke something that made Ron's jaw drop. Harry assumed Mr. Weasley had just told Ron the new Minister was next to Harry. Everyone shuffled to a back room making Harry wonder what was going on when Fred and George apparated. They both saw the new minister and gave Harry identical smirks, then followed the rest. Fred and George were barely out of sight when the girls returned from shopping and gave Harry bright smiles before they also made their way to somewhere in back. Harry noticed that Tadra looked exceptionally pleased.

"Could I have a word with Mr. Potter in private?"

"Of course, Minister. I'll see you soon Harry." Remus gave Harry a look of I told you so.

"I'm Rufus Scrimgeour, the new Minister of Magic. I understand you've just come back from traveling abroad. Go anywhere in particular?"

"I went on holiday to the Magusa in Cairo with the Weasley's."

"Did you. Mind if I ask how you went?"

"Not at all. Hermione Granger and I flew and met up with the Weasley's."

"You flew by broom?" the Minister asked incredulous.

"We flew by muggle plane since neither of us can apparate yet."

The Minister nodded in understanding as if some internal thought of enlightenment had dawned on him.

"Yes, Miss Granger's parents are muggles. Nothing wrong with that of course, it just means she has a better understanding of muggle ways than most of us. And did you have a pleasant holiday?"

"The Magusa was something to see. In some ways it's like Diagon Alley, and in others it's not."

"So, you had a pleasant holiday with no trouble at all?"

"We did have a bit of a run in with some Death Eaters. I don't know if you noticed but Mrs. Weasley was walking with a cane. Nothing serious, she'll only need a cane for another few weeks as I understand."

"Death Eaters? Now see here Harry. You don't mind if I call you Harry? This is just why we don't want you traveling abroad without the Ministry being informed. Some protection could have been provided. I'm not sure you realize how important you are in this war against you know who. People look up to you. As the boy who lived. You give people hope that you know who can be defeated."

"I really don't understand why everyone avoids saying his name - Voldemort." The Minister winced. "Doesn't it give him some acknowledgement of power by not saying Voldemort?" The Minister winced again.

"I've heard this same argument from Dumbledore," the Minister growled.

"Did I hear my name? Ah, Minister, so good to see you again. I do apologize for barging in but there is a private gathering in one of Tom's back rooms and everyone is awaiting our guest of honor." Dumbledore paused giving the Minister enough time to realize his interrogation of Harry was over. "Was there something of importance you needed to tell Harry before I take him away?"

"Yes, Harry you must inform the Ministry if you ever decide to travel again. Send an owl in care of my office. I'm sure arrangements can be made if the trip is necessary." Scrimgeour looked Dumbledore directly in the eye. "Is that clear?"

"Yes sir," Harry said with mounting excitement, eager to follow Dumbledore to the back room. He was beginning to think he knew what the private gathering might be.

"You heard the Minister Harry." Dumbledore motioned Harry to come along. "If you want to travel somewhere on holiday you need to inform the Ministry."

Once they were out of earshot of the Minister.

"Of course you heard if the trip is necessary. I very much doubt the Ministry will consider your traveling very far to be at all necessary." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled as he lead Harry to a closed door. "By the look on your face I believe you may have guessed what this is about."

Harry couldn't say a word. All he could do was grin from ear to ear. And when the door opened.

"Happy Belated Birthday! Harry!"

It was so nice of everyone to go to the effort, and the trouble. Friends, they make life bearable through the tough times and truly enjoyable through the better.

There was the traditional birthday cake and Harry checked with Fred and George to make sure there were no exploding candles before blowing them out. It didn't matter what the gifts were, little trinkets, sweets, or something practical, they were all appreciated. Yet, somehow even the smallest gift from someone close to you is most treasured. Harry was surprised when Hermione and Ron said theirs was combined and in one present. Harry unwrapped a box to find a handsome brass mug and miniature flying carpet. The scenery on the mug was an animated phoenix flying over the Sphinx and the Great Pyramids. The mug was from Hermione and she explained that it would keep warm drinks warm and cold drinks cold. The miniature flying carpet, from Ron, would always keep his mug within reach. Harry looked the mug over and watched the phoenix fly gracefully around the cup.

"You got this before the ceremony under the Sphinx?"

"Yes, it was meant as a practical souvenir, but almost -"

"Prophetic?" Harry finished for her and she nodded. Harry paused and looked deep into chocolate brown eyes before putting the mug on Ron's little flying carpet to try it out. It was very nice, and he told Ron it was cool.

Tadra's gift was a music disk, 'Songs From the Desert'. It was the very first gift from his adopted sister and she looked very pleased to give it to him.

Harry was very surprised to get a spare wand. It was from Ginny, Fred, and George. It was supposed to be a powerful wand, polished red oak with dragon heartstring for the core, ten and three quarters inches.

With gifts opened, cake and refreshments distributed, conversations were going on all around the room. Harry noticed Mrs. Weasley gripping the top of her walking cane, her face slightly flushed. Fred and George kept looking at their mother with indignation. Harry decided to ask Hermione and Ron sitting on his right if something was up.

"Is it my imagination or is something going on between Fred and George, and your mum, Ron?"

Hermione answered first.

"No, you're right on. Fred and George had an experimental batch of something they called Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder and were keen to give it to you for your birthday as something specifically from them besides the wand they went in on with Ginny." From Hermione's tone he gathered there was more.

"But mum was in one of her moods and insisted this wasn't the time or place for such things," Ron added.

"So? What happened? It couldn't have been that bad. Dumbledore and I came straight away."

"She tried to Accio it from them and it went off. The room went pitch black."

"It was wicked, no one could see a thing. I couldn't see my hand in front of my face," Ron said grinning.

"I'd really like to know how they did that. Not even Lumos, or Incendio had any effect. Thankfully it dissipated before you and Dumbledore opened the door."

While Hermione and Ron had been explaining Harry watched Ginny step up between the twins and their mother. He couldn't quite make out what she was saying but he thought he recognized Ginny say Percy. Whatever it was Ginny said it had an immediate effect. The twins looks softened and Mrs. Weasley's chin quivered.

"George, Fred, I'm sorry. I was out of line. I've always known you were highly talented and it frustrated me you didn't apply yourselves in school. But you've chosen a career path that seems to suit you both. And I just want you to know your father and I are very proud of you."

Fred and George couldn't seem to help themselves, they both beamed and smiled. They both scrambled to make excuses for their mother. They mentioned the Death Eater attack in Egypt and the on going war.

"You just need to lighten up, Mum."

"Have a sense of humor."

"Good advice from my two sons. I'll have to work on it."

Some immediate hugging followed and Harry was glad to see it. Just as he was also glad to see Hagrid, big as ever, bend down and stoop through the door with a box in one of his large hands and Hedwig in her cage in the other. Tadra, on Harry's left, gasped at Hagrid's size. Hagrid's name reverberated throughout the room and they all shook hands in formal greeting. Hagrid commented that Ron's grip had improved considerably. When he shook Tadra's hand Hagrid's smile grew making his unruly beard puff up on both sides of his face. He told her it was good to see Harry have some family. After giving Hedwig to Harry, Hagrid noticed what was left of Harry's birthday cake and looked disappointed.

"I baked ya a cake 'arry, but I think I misunderstood the time tha party was startin'. Sorry 'bout that, but would ya be interested in some more? Ah course it's only few days old, since ya took longer getting' back from yer holiday than expected."

Almost everyone responded they couldn't possibly eat anything more. Tadra offered to try some, but she was unaware of Hagrid's abysmal cooking reputation. And with fixed smiles Harry, Hermione and Ron said they would be glad to have some. Harry was thankful when he caught sight of Ron slipping one of Harry's empty present boxes under the table.

It was all Harry could do to keep from laughing when Tadra took a bite and paused before continuing to chew. After complimenting Hagrid on his cake . . . and Hagrid turned his attention elsewhere - four slices of Hagrid's cake dropped into the empty present box and disappeared.

"Your friend Hagrid is most daunting of stature, my brother."

"He's half giant but we don't say anything about it publicly." Harry turned thoughtful. "Hagrid gave me my very first birthday cake. I had just turned eleven. I think I would have eaten a frosting coated rock."

"Similar to tonight's cake?" Tadra gave a small laugh enjoying Harry share the memory with her.

Harry shrugged.

"Maybe. All I remember was that it was wonderful. And my cousin Dudley didn't seem to care either because he made a pig of himself." Harry grinned remembering Hagrid giving Dudley a pig's tail.

"I understand you have given thought to attending Hogwarts this term and being Headmaster of Hogwarts gives me certain privileges. Therefore, I give my approval. And how would you like your name recorded as in attendance?"

"Tadra Beladasan Potter."

"Very good. Very good Miss Potter," Dumbledore approved warmly. "How could I possibly refuse admittance to a Potter? However, there is the matter of OWL's. You will have to take an OWL exam the same as every sixth year already has. In that case arrangements will be made for you to take your OWL exam, at the Ministry Department of Wizarding Examinations Authority, Friday the twenty third. Be sure to arrive promptly at seven in the morning. If you have any concerns about the exam itself I suggest you discuss it with Miss Granger, whom I believe earned a number of outstanding OWLS on her exam. And, have you given any thought to where you will be staying before start of term? I understand you have had numerous offers." Dumbledore smiled while looking over his half-moon glasses.

"The offers have been most gracious, but I will stay with my brother."

Mrs. Weasley's cane fell over onto the floor, there were several gasps, and Hagrid said it for all.

"But, but Harry's gonna spend tha next couple ah weeks with the Dursley's! Blimey Tadra."