Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

His cheek touched hers and instantly every member of the Order was mentally linked.

'Tadra's little brother, Azizi, has sent her a coded letter saying he will arrive in Hogsmeade at 10:00 o'clock this morning. She fears for his safety and asks for our help in locating him.'

Harry's memory of what Azizi looked like flashed in vivid images. Tadra added her own along with a sense of urgency. She relayed Azizi's determination and sometimes reckless decisions. Tadra feared Azizi would try to use a quick means of travel, even illegal, and to prevent their father from stopping him using an unlocating spell as well.

In a calm and even thought, Dumbledore addressed the Order.

'I realize this is an unusual method of communication but I believe we should take advantage of what we can. With that said, let us proceed to the matter of Azizi. If anyone has heard something please give your thoughts.'

A very surprised Mundungus tentatively responded.

'An associate of mine wanted to know if I was interested in a lucrative deal but once I heard it involved a Portkey I wanted no part of it. As everyone should know by now. There's more than just the Ministry that's interested in who comes and goes in and out of the country these days.'

'Do you recall your associate's name and could you possibly concentrate on what they look like. In addition, do you have any idea where such a deal might take place?' Dumbledore asked.

'Piddleton, Piddleton Long,' Mundungus thought. The image of a wizard with nearly shoulder length pale brown hair appeared. Besides untrusting eyes the most dominating feature of his face was his nose. The bridge of his nose extended part way up his forehead.

'Somewhere along the east coast. That's the impression I got as to where the deal would be done. But that's a lot o' coast.'

'At this point we will assume young Azizi intends to use a Portkey from the east coast to Hogsmeade. Without some inside help at the Ministry to look the other way, his passage could well be detected. Kingsly, is there anything you can do?'

'I'll apparate to the Ministry and check on it personally.'

'In an attempt to evade detection I would suspect the use of a Portkey to be initiated somewhere between Clacton-On-Sea and Lowestoft. Is anyone available to search the area?'

'Bad time of the month. Sorry I can't help,' Remus answered with regret.

'Sturgis and I are at headquarters. We could make our way up there in successive apparations,' Tonks volunteered.

'Yes, we could do that," Sturgis agreed.

'I'm north of headquarters, I could go,' Hestia volunteered.

'Hestia you can start at the north end of the search area. Sturgis and Tonks you can start at the south. Mundungus see what more you can find out. Those of us at Hogwarts will wait for Azizi's scheduled arrival. If all goes well this will be nothing more than an exercise in caution. Aberforth, you know what to do. And Severus I trust you will be discreet. We shall update the situation using this same method shortly after ten o'clock.'

'Mum, you know this is where I'm needed,' Ginny stated mentally

'I want to stay and help,' Ron mentally responded as well.

Mrs. Weasley gave a mental sigh that was almost audible. Mr. Weasley gave his consent that they could stay.

'I'll temporarily reassign Prefect duties for Miss Granger, Miss Weasley and Mr. Weasley.'

'Thank you Minerva, and could you also instruct Dobby to retain their luggage, as well as for Harry and Tadra. After the Hogwarts Express has disembarked, you and Severus are welcome to join us at the Three Broomsticks - hot chocolate will be my treat. Student members of the Order will meet me at my office, straight away.'

With no further thoughts for discussion the mental link ended. The entire discussion was accomplished in the blink of an eye and reflected no outward perception that anything had happened, other than a slight pause.

Harry could hear McGonagall calling out names of those to take over Prefect duties for Hermione, Ron and Ginny. There were looks of surprise as they abruptly left the crowd of students who were waiting for carriages.

"Tadra, is something wrong," Draco asked.

Tadra looked torn and then took a calculated chance and hurriedly told him. She then caught up with the rest as they made their way toward Dumbledore's office.

"Bloody hell," Ron swore under his breath.

"Do you think that was wise?" Ginny asked what was on everyone's mind as they continued walking at a brisk pace.

"I did not sense a lie or betrayal."

Dumbledore met them at the entrance to his office and led them all to the secret passage that went to Honeydukes. At the Three Broomsticks Tadra asked for rainwater tea instead of hot chocolate. The mood was tense and the conversation sporadic as they waited. A short discussion arose about how Harry could communicate with the Order the way he did, but Dumbledore was confident Harry didn't do it all by himself and was somewhat dismissive of the topic.

Dumbledore began to watch Tadra turn her tea cup with more and more interest as they sat quietly.

"Are you going to attempt hydatoscopy divination?" Dumbledore asked.

"Yes," she said softly as the rest looked on.

Tadra looked intently into her empty cup, slowly turning it back and forth.

"Someone will arrive to the south, but not whom I seek," Tadra said with a look of panic.

Tadra's growing concern was interrupted as McGonagall stepped through the door looking thin lipped and stern. Her mood was explained by two people following her, Neville and Luna.

"Sorry I'm late Albus, but I've had my hands full with students trying to stay behind. You'd think they didn't want to leave for Holiday. Intent to stay behind and help, though they have no idea what their friends need help with, or for. These two here were the sneakiest."

"A veritable epidemic it seems," drawled Snape.

Upon seeing Neville and Luna the table had brightened, but the mood dropped as a confident and arrogant Malfoy stepped out from behind Snape. Only Tadra seemed glad to see Malfoy, but Dumbledore took it all in stride.

"At present there is no need, but if Tadra's younger brother does not arrive in a few minutes their help will be welcome. In the mean time the three of you will communicate by Floo to those expecting your arrival later today. Other travel arrangements will be made."

Neville, Luna, and Malfoy took turns at the Three Broomsticks Fireplace. Neville's gran could be heard through the green flames asking how he could have possibly missed the train, but her voice fell quickly and Harry thought he heard her tell him to be careful.

After that everyone gathered around the table.

"Azizi is late, and after Tadra's impressive demonstration of hydatoscopy divination I suggest we all look south of Hogsmeade."

**********

**********

**********

Azizi landed face first in the dirt near a small rundown stone house. The clay flowerpot that had served as his Portkey shattered beneath him. Everything was still spinning in his head as he managed to get up on all fours, and immediately threw up. It was sunny but it felt very cold. However, the cold temperature was the least of his concerns. He knew he was vulnerable until his head cleared. He had no idea Portkeys could bring on such horrible motion sickness. But then again it was doubtful few would attempt four Portkeys, one after the other. Another wave of nausea hit him and he wretched again.

"Now what do we have here? I expected a full grown witch or wizard not some little puking half-pint."

Azizi tried to focus on the stranger but his vision was blurred and he fought the urge to wretch again.

"My money is still good is it not?"

"That it is, that it is. But we have things to discuss."

"Do you have my Portkey or not?" Azizi asked viciously. His anger and fear were helping him overcome his nausea as the blurred wizard came into focus.

"There's no need to be upset. I've got it. It's this here rusty can I got all wrapped up. It's just that, well, Portkeys are nasty business. They can buy you a one way ticket to Azkaban, if you know what I mean."

"So you wish to be paid more money?" Azizi asked with disgust as he sat on the ground contemplating whether he could yet stand up. The wizard attempting to negotiate for more money was lean and tall with less than shoulder length pale brown hair. He wore ordinary wizarding robes of gray-brown and held a small cloth-wrapped bundle in his hand. He had a long face that made him seem taller than he was. And the reason his face looked long was because the bridge of his nose extended part way up his forehead.

"One hundred galleons for delivering a Portkey is a fair price mate, but not when I has to split it. You see, there are other folk interested in the comings and goings of foreigners. Me, I could care less. All I need is a little something to get by."

Carefully Azizi reached for his wand. It was obvious he was about to be robbed of what money he had, and possibly worse.

"Expelliarmus! Accio wand!"

Azizi cursed under his breath as he watched his wand fly through the air and caught by someone behind him. The wizard in front of him had been a distraction, to keep him focused.

"My, my, this is interesting. I've never seen a wand made of silver before," said a rough sounding voice.

A hooded figure looked over the wand while keeping their own, at the ready, pointed at Azizi.

"Never mind that. I want to know how much money this tichy bloke has on him. I want to conclude our business and get rid of this bloody Portkey," said the long faced wizard reaching for his own wand while still keeping a grip on the covered Portkey.

"Very well."

The hooded wizard circled around Azizi and joined him.

"Hand me the Portkey - carefully. You can then deprive this child of his valuables with ease. After that I have some questions."

"Right. Now then, little man. How much money do you have?"

"One hundred galleons, the agreed upon price for delivering the Portkey. Why not take the money and give me the Portkey. Would it not be more desirable to have gold in hand and be rid of me?"

"Don't get cheeky with me. You wouldn't come all this way and go to all this trouble without a bit extra. Hand it over or I'll take it from you."

The long faced wizard raised his wand threateningly.

Azizi knew he was in a fix, but hoped greed would work in his favor. Carefully he reached within a pocket of his cloak. His hands were shaking as he withdrew a bag of galleons and pulled on a string that made a gentle clink within the bag. He tossed it on the ground in front of the two. He then did the same with a second bag.

"That is all the money I have. One hundred-one galleons in the first bag and fifty in the second."

"One hundred-one?"

"It was my intention to leave a tip."

"Now wasn't that thoughtful of you," the long faced wizard said grinning.

"I wish now I had not, Jaukaw Deshin."

"No reason to be rude, and what did you call me?" he questioned while greedily reaching for the bags.

"Wait, make him open the bags."

"What? You think he's put something nasty in those bags besides gold? That wouldn't be very nice. Empty the bags like my friend here suggests."

Azizi poured the contents out on the ground in two separate piles. The long faced wizard's eyes glinted greedily at the sight of the gold galleons. The hooded wizard shot ropes out of a wand binding Azizi tightly and then reached for the larger pile but gasped before disappearing. The long faced wizard swore in disgust.

"Clumsy fool touched the Portkey. Could've have left me more gold."

He scooped up what was left of the larger pile and reached for the smaller one. He gasped and fell over rigid as a board, still clutching a gold galleon - a cursed gold galleon.

Azizi lay on the ground, bound up and unable to do anything but yell. But he didn't want to attract a muggle or any possible companions of the two wizards not to mention any creatures that might find an easy meal. His wand had vanished with the hooded wizard and he was now at the mercy of whatever fate awaited him. All he had desired was to spend Christmas with Tadra. He refused to believe that was such a bad thing. If father had only consented to a visit he would not have tried something so foolish. What would happen to him now he wondered. Would he die without seeing Tadra or his father and brothers again? Distraught, he cried silently, hating himself and his stupidity.

**********

**********

**********

Harry was glad they were searching south and avoiding the Forbidden Forest. However, he was wishing he had his broom. They could cover a lot more ground in a shorter amount of time. It crossed his mind to perform a summoning spell but his Firebolt was packed away and he didn't want to repair a hole in the side of his trunk or other possible damage. Still, it was starting to grate his nerves the longer they searched and found nothing. He was on the verge of sending Dumbledore a messenger spell requesting they all get brooms when red sparks shot up to his left. He knew this was not a good sign, because they had decided to send up green sparks if they found Azizi with no complications. Hermione, Neville and Ron were just behind him as ahead of him he heard Dumbledore tell Tadra she did not yet have a license to apparate but that under the circumstances it was understandable.

McGonagall had found a hooded figure on the ground clutching a partially wrapped rusty tin can. There was also something clutched tightly in the other hand. Harry was trying to make out what was wrong as Hermione shot by him.

"Wait! Don't touch anything. Something's wrong. Let me have a look."

There was a grey cast to Hermione's normally brown eyes as she bent over and looked at the unnaturally stiff hooded figure lying on the ground. Hermione's breath shown in the brisk cold air as she looked everything over.

"The galleon in the right hand. I think it's cursed. But it doesn't seem to be the root of the problem. I think this person is in bad shape. I think they're dying."

"Very well," Dumbledore said. "First things first."

He waved his wand over the tightly clutched galleon and mumbled some words. The galleon dropped from the hand and the person slumped limp with a weak groan.

"The curse has been removed. It was not a life threatening curse and would have worn off within a day. Let's have a look, shall we?"

Another wave of his wand, and the hood dropped revealing a thin pale woman with long greasy dark hair and nasty looking brown-green blotches on her face and neck.

McGonagall winced at the sight.

"This is a sign of advanced praesangium addiction," Dumbledore explained with a look of pity.

Dumbledore then glanced at Hermione.

"Good - clear brown eyes. I believe it is safe to examine her further. Minerva, if you would be so kind while I send a message to Madam Pomfrey."

McGonagall checked through the robes of the unconscious witch and found more galleons, and a silver rod.

"Azizi's wand!" Tadra yelled reaching for it. "Yes, it's Azizi's. I'm certain. We have to do something," she pleaded.

"Minerva, if you could check for everything," Snape drawled.

McGonagall pulled up the left sleeve and revealed the Death Eater's mark.

"Malfoy and I will leave now. I will make sure he proceeds home by Floo from the Three Broomsticks. I must now attend to other things."

Snape disapparated with Malfoy, side-along.

The Death Eater was taken to a back room at the Boar's Head. An invisibility charm on the Death Eater helped make the process inconspicuous. McGonagall and Aberforth watched over the Death Eater and waited for Madam Pomfrey. It was hoped the dying witch could be revived long enough to give information with some truth serum. The rest made their way back to the castle to retrieve brooms, a flying carpet, and gathered in Dumbledore's office. Using the headmaster's fireplace Neville got permission from his gran to help in the search and Luna got permission to help - so long as it was only helping in a search. Mr. Lovegood even got Dumbledore's promise that a search was all Luna would be involved in.

"Harry, I have been asked to relay that Dobby is extremely honored to be spending the holiday with you and your friends."

Harry grinned.

"I didn't think you would mind and he will take care of our luggage as well. Now I believe it is time to contact the Order once more," Dumbledore said to Harry.

"Would you like to try this time?" Harry asked Hermione. "You have to concentrate on the Order and everyone in it. The most important thing is to know you can do it."

Harry thought how beautiful she looked just before she closed her chocolate brown eyes and furrowed her brow in concentration. She then held out her hand and Harry took it.

'Bad news I'm afraid. Azizi did not arrive, but his wand and a Death Eater did.'

Dumbledore then relayed mental pictures of what had happened. McGonagall and Aberforth relayed that Madam Pomfrey gave little chance the witch would live or regain consciousness, dashing hope they might find Azizi quickly. Although, Mundungus did help narrow the search to south of Dunwich and north of Felixstowe. Sturgis, Tonks, and Hestia reported no luck as of yet and Kingsly reported he had been unable to cover for the momentary detection of a Portkey when the witch arrived in Azizi's place. He confirmed that a Ministry Auror had been dispatched to check on it. However, the detection could not be localized and little would come of it.

'It is not desirable to alert the Ministry too quickly of the Death Eater in Hogsmeade since this matter involves Azizi and an illegal Portkey.'

'I'll destroy the used Portkey and take care of the rest, Albus.'

'Thank you Aberforth. Minerva, there are a few matters that need to be taken care of at headquarters.'

'A stack of reports you mean, but it's not a problem. I hope you all find Azizi soon, safe and sound.'

'Kingsly, could you possibly cover for another Portkey, say in three minutes?'

'Not a problem.'

'Thank you, and we will report again every two hours, or sooner when we find him.'

The link was broken.

"Neville and I would like to join your organization, your order," Luna said casually.

Harry and the rest echoed their consent.

A pained expression passed over Dumbledore's showing his full age, but he recovered quickly and smiled warmly at all of them.

"Resounding approval, but everything in due time. Neville, you need to talk this over with your grandmother. I've known Augusta a long time, I doubt that she will say no but keep in mind you are precious to her. Luna, I think you may have a difficult time convincing your father."

"Not as difficult as some may think, but possibly more difficult than others may say."

Dumbledore smiled at Luna and then levitated his broom to the middle of the group.

"Since I'm taking my broom I'll make it a Portkey. It will take us to just north of Felixstowe."

Dumbledore waved his wand and his broom glowed blue and vibrated before returning to normal.

"This particular Portkey is timed to transport in two minutes. So, everyone straddle your brooms, or secure your carpet, and take hold."

**********

**********

After Porkeying and applying anti-muggle charms they split up into two groups. Dumbledore took Ron, Luna and Neville north while Hermione and Tadra went south with Harry. Their search was mainly in sparsely populated areas and any place that could provide cover from the casual eye. As the sun moved low in the west Harry began to feel they were not really making any headway.

The feeling that they were going the wrong direction was weighing on him more and more. He turned his broom toward Hermione and waved. Catching her attention she flew up beside him.

"Hermione let's communicate with the Order."

"Why? It's not time yet."

"It'll be getting dark in a couple of hours and . . . I feel like we're going the wrong direction. I don't know how to explain it."

Hermione gave him an odd look.

"That's weird. I've been having the same feeling."

Harry and Hermione reached for each other's hand only to have a dragon patronus appear between them.

"Harry we must go north. An owl has just given me a message."

They flew toward each other. Harry and Hermione stepped onto Tadra's carpet and she excitedly showed them the message naming a place called Walberswick and showing a crude map.

Harry and Hermione quickly established a link and relayed a mental image of the message and map.

'I can apparate there easily enough.'

'Headmaster, this could be a trap,' Snape pointed out.

Everyone else agreed.

'Who better to spring it. Hestia if you are close enough to apparate, I would suggest you do so nearby and I will do the same.'

'I can, and I will.'

'Very good. Give us two minutes and reestablish the link.'

Tadra wasted no time in directing Harry and Hermione into the small hold within her carpet. They all dropped through a trap door and Tadra sent her camouflaged carpet lunging northward as quickly as it could sail through the air. The hold was small and much warmer. Hermione snuggled next to him as they waited out the tense seconds.

'Azizi is safe. I have conjured a blanket to help warm him. Everyone involved in the search should gather here as quickly as possible. Hestia has graciously offered to open her home to us, which is less than an hour west by broom. From there we can travel by Floo to the Leaky Cauldron.'

Tonks and Sturgis confirmed they would be apparating there in a few minutes. Ron judged that he, Neville and Luna would be there shortly after that. Harry, Hermione and Tadra were the furthest away and would take another fifteen minutes. But after five minutes Tadra could not wait any longer.

"Please forgive me. We are within range and I can wait no longer," Tadra said just before disapparating with a pop.

Harry and Hermione both understood, and they were sure Dumbledore would too.

Tadra's carpet finally arrived and they found Azizi bundled in a royal blue blanket, crying into Tadra's robes and mumbling that he was sorry between sobs. Tadra held him and comforted him.

"You are safe now. That is the only thing that matters. All will be fine, little brother," she said reassuringly, shedding tears of her own.

*********

*********

*********

Several hours later Harry found himself in front of Number Twelve Grimmauld Place and wishing that Neville and Luna did not have to go to their homes after arriving at the Leaky Cauldron. The place was still not welcoming, but it was familiar, and he was ready to get some rest in a warm bed after the long cold day. The stress of the day had taken its toll on all of them.

A short and partial meeting of the Order delayed sleep for everyone except Azizi. Tadra fed him some warm soup and put him to bed shortly after they arrived. Dumbledore informed them that he had sent Fawkes with a message to Tadra's father and older brothers, and he expected a response before morning. Harry thought it odd that Dumbledore didn't bring up the fact that Tadra had received an owl tipping them off as to where Azizi was. He decided to bring it up later in a more private setting. Of course, he was sure everyone suspected it was Malfoy and the reason was clear enough - to get in Tadra's good graces.

After something warm to eat they were all very sleepy. Even Ron who could never seem to get enough to eat had decided getting some sleep was more important. Tadra and Azizi were staying in the same room because it was an unfamiliar place and the trauma of the day. Harry lingered with Hermione in front of the bedroom door.

"Have I told you how beautiful you are?"

"Not today," she smiled sleepily.

He felt her hair and the warmth of her neck and kissed her gently. His next words came out as an extension of his heart rather than thought.

"Some day we won't be going to separate rooms."

Hermione's chocolate brown eyes widened and her smile brightened. There was the hint of a giggle and a momentary shyness that Harry found Immensely appealing. She kissed him and quickly slipped through the door.

As he walked away grinning he wondered what made him say such a thing and attributed it to being sleepy. Still, he wasn't sorry he said it. And the look on Hermione's face lingered well into his dreams.

**********

**********

"Food!" Ron said with enthusiasm and swung out of bed yawning and stretching.

Sure enough the aroma of bacon and sausage was in the air. Harry knew Mrs. Weasley was cooking breakfast and somehow the knowledge of that made him feel welcome.

"Shake a leg mate. I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry."

Just before they reached the kitchen Harry could hear Azizi's inquisitive voice chattering away. It was good to know yesterday's ordeal had not been too hard on him. Next he heard Mr. Weasley say goodbye to everyone before disapparating to work with a pop.

Hermione was already eating breakfast, and almost done. She gave Harry a radiant smile. Ginny was no where to be seen and probably not up yet. Ron took a seat and looked pleased at the plate full of food his mum slid in front of him. Azizi was sitting next to Tadra smiling brightly but his face dropped upon seeing Harry.

"Is something wrong Azizi?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

"Yes. He is the one who is wrong," Azizi said accusingly and pointed a finger at Harry.

"It is the wrong that you have done. You have forced my sister to shame our family. How could you do such a thing."

"Azizi,"Tadra gasped.

"Me? Maybe you should ask your father why he drugged us and tricked me into it."

There was an awkward silence save for the sizzling of sausage and eggs in a skillet, and looks of surprise. Azizi turned to Tadra questioningly.

"It is true, my brother."

"But, but why would father . . . ."

"We should talk."

Tadra shot Harry a disapproving look before leading Azizi out of the kitchen.

He realized as soon as he said it that it wasn't the best way to handle the situation. For some reason Azizi's accusation had a sharpness to it and he had just reacted. Harry looked around the kitchen sheepishly.

"I didn't handle that very well."

"No, but the truth needed to come out sometime," Mrs. Weasley said putting down a plate for Harry next to Hermione.

Harry sat down but his appetite had left him. Hermione nudged him and he picked up a fork but held it with disdain.

"What happened?" Ginny asked coming into the kitchen. "Tadra is giving Azizi a lecture for something."

"Azizi didn't know about his dad drugging us," Ron said between bites. "Blamed Harry for everything. Must o' been spoilin' for a row." Ron took another mouthful and swallowed. "Anyway, Harry snapped at him."

"Really? That's not surprising though. Harry, you've come to look at Tadra as a sister."

"Ginny's right Harry. Whether you realize it or not, you have a strong desire for family."

Harry turned and looked into chocolate brown eyes. Yes, it was true. Now, he understood why Azizi's accusation had hurt so much.

"Everything will be fine," Hermione said giving him a reassuring smile and another nudge.

Several minutes passed as Hermione, and then Mrs. Weasley encouraged Harry to eat something. Harry wasn't sure what to expect when Tadra appeared with a subdued Azizi standing in front of her. Azizi looked at the floor until Tadra gave him a gentle push forward.

"I must apologize, Harry Potter. My sister has told me it was not your fault. I . . ."

"Look, I'm sorry. I should not have said it the way I did."

"No, please let me finish. My sister has helped me understand that you have truly adopted her as a sister. This being so, I wondered if . . . I could claim you as a brother."

"I think I can handle that," Harry said feeling pleased.

Azizi's smiled showing lots of white teeth and quickly took a seat opposite the table from Harry and Hermione. Questions started pouring out of Tadra's little brother. It reminded Harry of the first time they had met and how Tadra had clamped a hand over his mouth to keep him quiet.

"Ready to go Ron?"

"Going? Where are you two going?" Harry asked surprised.

"To the Ministry. Ron and I will be back before noon."

There was a pop in the entry and a stately looking witch entered the kitchen.

"I'll be your escort to the Ministry this morning," she said to Hermione and Ron. "Ready to go?"

Hermione was ready, but Ron longingly eyed another plate of food before agreeing.

"Hello Azizi, you're looking fit this morning. Dangerous stunt you pulled. Oh, sorry, I'm Emmeline Vance. With our method of communication yesterday I felt we had already met. I've been told your father and brothers will be coming to pick you up Christmas day at the Leaky Cauldron at three o'clock in the afternoon."

Ron and Hermione left with Emmeline and Harry felt like he should have been going too, but Azizi looked thrilled to spend Christmas with Tadra and was full questions that were begging to be answered and Harry didn't want to disappoint him.

"Where is the Ministry and what do they do there? How will they get there? What's a muggle underground?"

The questions went on and on. As it turned out, Azizi and his questions made the time go by more quickly. During Hermione's absence Tadra, Ginny and Mrs. Weasley noted that Harry occasionally rubbed his forehead with the back of his hand. A tour of the old Black Estate and many more questions later brought the time close to noon.

With a pop Hermione apparated in the main living room all smiles. Amid congratulations from everyone Harry admitted he had forgot that she and Ron were going to take their apparition exam.

"You told me you were going to take the test over the holiday but I had completely forgot. Where's Ron?"

"Here I am. I accidentally apparated into a room upstairs."

"You did the same thing when you took your test - apparated inside a storage closet. You almost didn't get your license because of it. You really need to concentrate."

"I got my license, I'll get the hang of it," Ron protested.

"I'm sure you will," Mrs. Weasley said encouragingly. "How about some hot stew on a cold day. Anyone hungry for lunch?"

"Famished," Ron said with enthusiasm.

"I found breakfast to be most excellent Mrs. Weasley. I can hardly wait to try something more."

"Why thank you Azizi."

"I'll have to pass. Mum is expecting me - and Harry. Care to side-along?"

Harry slipped his left hand into Hermione's right and held her tight.

With a pop they arrived at Hermione's parents new house. Rather, it was new to them. It was a lot smaller - a three room flat. Harry then remembered Hermione telling him they had put a great deal of their things in storage.

"Hermione! Harry! You two gave me a start," Mrs. Granger exclaimed.

"Hello pumpkin, hello Harry. We've been expecting you. I'm not sure I'll get used to the idea of someone popping out of thin air though."

A crying sound was heard in another room.

"Sounds like Miranda is awake. I'll go get her," Hermione offered eagerly.

But as Hermione took a step she was pulled back because Harry hadn't let go of her hand. Hermione's perplexed look changed to one of panic as Harry lifted their hands.

"What's wrong? Why can't you two let go?" Mrs. Granger asked

"Well, we, uh . . . Oh, Merlin. I think our hands are merged." Hermione mumbled something unintelligible as she and Harry looked closer at their hands.

Yes, Harry had to agree their hands were merged. It was somehow interesting that it didn't hurt in the slightest, but it looked painful. Their hands appeared to have melted into each other's a few centimeters.

"My word, what happened to your hands?"

"Is that painful?" Mr. Granger asked.

"Not at all," Harry answered with a slight grin.

Harry didn't see any great harm and found the situation amusing. Hermione didn't find it amusing in the least. Her face was flushed and she looked more panic stricken by the second.

"This isn't funny Harry," she mumbled. "This will not do. Maybe we can disapparate and apparate. Maybe that will do the trick. Ready?"

Two pops and no change except that Miranda was crying louder and Hermione was even more red faced than before.

"I just got my license and now I'll lose it in less than two hours. I don't know what to do except call the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad."

"Come on Hermione. It's not that bad," Harry laughed giving their merged hands a shake. "We'll think of something. Besides, it's not that bad. We can still eat lunch."

Mrs. Granger decided the situation wasn't as bad as it looked and left to retrieve a crying Miranda. Mr. Granger looked on with mixed amusement.

"We can't go on indefinitely like this Harry," she pleaded.

"Maybe Mrs. Weasley back at headquarters can do something," Harry suggested.

"I don't want anyone to know," Hermione frowned painfully. "It's bad enough to have done this in front of mum and dad."

"Why don't we have lunch like Harry suggested. I'm sure the two of you can manage," Mrs. Granger smiled while gently rocking Miranda in her arms.

"Mum, noooo. I might need to . . ."

Mr. Granger gave a short chuckle.

"I hadn't thought of that. Could be a bit of a problem pumpkin. And surely a solution can be found before the end of the day."

It was Mrs. Granger's turn to give a chuckle and then an outright laugh.

"Oh my, that could be a bit awkward."

Hermione's eyes got big as she glanced from her parents to Harry and blushed.

"It's not funny!" she said stomping a foot and swinging her arms which swung Harry's arm as well.

Harry had to admit he hadn't thought that far ahead. The thought of having to spend the night in Hermione's parents house with their hands stuck together would be more than a little awkward. He felt some warmth rise in his own face trying not to picture how that could possibly be arranged.

"Harry, can't you do something? Some wandless magic?"

Harry tried to concentrate but Hermione was an immense distraction in her present state of mind, fidgeting and mumbling.

"Do you mind if I kiss your daughter?" Harry asked Mr. and Mrs. Granger.

Both her parents shrugged bemused and amused.
"In front of my -" Hermione began to protest but Harry cut her off moving to embrace her.

Lost in his embrace Hermione no longer cared who was witness. There was no denying she loved him. A glow from dancing golden flames engulfed them and slowly they emerged and smiled at each other. Harry held up his hand that was now free. His attention turned to Hermione's astonished parents and Miranda who was now cooing and giggling.

"Er, well done Harry," Mr. Granger said giving him a pat on the shoulder. "Is that the usual remedy?"

"I doubt it," he said with a sheepish grin.

*********

Toward evening Katherine found opportunity to talk with her daughter as they put Miranda in her crib.

"No doubt your father is telling Harry how strange it's been. How no one knows who we are anymore. People we've known for years see us as perfect strangers. Of course, we were told that would happen and we don't try to intentionally make contact."
"I'm sorry mum. It was the safest thing to do."

"I know, and I'm not blaming anyone except maybe Voldemort. But this war is going to get worse. I suspect, a lot worse. And wars have a way of making people grow up fast."

"What are you trying to say mum?"

Katherine paused wondering if she could tactfully put into words her concerns especially after witnessing her little girl kissed by a young man in such an amazing manner.

"Let me say this in a hypothetical context."

"Hypothetical? Alright, now I'm worried but go on."

"If a girl - no, I mean a woman, were to become pregnant while a war was going on. She couldn't morally, and knowingly, endanger her unborn child. Wouldn't you agree?"

"I . . I don't suppose. No, she shouldn't. It wouldn't be right to endanger the unborn. And the reason you're telling me this?"

"It doesn't take a genius, or a witch, to see that my little girl is all grown up - and in love. There's no doubt at all after what I saw t-today."

Katherine's voice wavered and she closed her eyes tightly. Hermione gave her mother a hug.

"Anyway, as I was about to say. You're of age now and Harry will be of age in a matter of months."

"I don't know what will happen mum. There's so much going on. We keep trying to learn as much as we can and get better at the things we can do. All I know is that I have to be there with him."

*********

*********

It was late when Hermione and Harry apparated into the entryway at headquarters and made their way through the upstairs hallway. As they walked by a bedroom door they stopped and listened as someone yelled.

"Let me go!"

"Azizi, it was just a dream. Go back to sleep, little brother."

"Tadra, could you sing the desert song?"

"The one mother used to sing?"

"Yes."

Tadra began to sing softly in a minor key. The words were in her native tongue, but It wasn't necessary to understand. Images of a beautiful and serene desert came to mind. There was no denying it was a dangerous place but it could be beautiful as well.

When the song ended Harry turned to Hermione and kissed her in the darkened hallway. They had endured so much crossing the desert only to find their love for one another was greater than before. They had survived and there was hope for the future, for a better world. Hope was what they had for each other. And hope has a sound that fills the heart.

Two pairs of eyes watched through a slightly opened doorway into the strangely illuminated hallway. As the illumination began to fade the door closed.

"Did you hear the sound of hope? Did you not see the dancing flames for yourself, little brother?" Tadra whispered. "They are in love. That is why I could not marry him."

Azizi nodded in awe.

"Now go to bed and sleep. Tomorrow we will go to Diagon Alley."

*********

*********

*********

Diagon Alley was bustling with shoppers but there was a general uneasiness in the air. Short, quickly spoken rumors punctuated the festive mood. They met a number of their classmates while shopping. They all asked about the sudden departure and missing the Hogwarts Express. Without giving up too much information the answer was always given that Tadra's little brother had arrived unexpectedly. Trusted members of the DA were given a bit more information and such was the case when they came upon Cho in front of Quality Quidditch Supplies. The encounter was brief after the explanation of Azizi and a couple of comments about Quidditch. But later Harry was glad for the chance to visit Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes. In front of Fred and George's store they found the Bennet brothers demonstrating some of the wares with good effect. A small crowd gasped, shrieked, and then applauded when Jim put on a Headless Hat and made his entire head disappear. The demonstration was cut short when Mr. and Mrs. Bennet called for them from somewhere in the crowd. It became evident to Harry that Jim and Tim got to keep their samples in return for demonstrating to the crowd.

Fred and George had hired two more helpers besides Verity to help with the zealous demand for their products. Upon spotting Harry they pulled him into the back room away from their harried customers.

"Glad to see Tadra's little brother made it okay," said Fred.

"Ballsy thing to do, using Portkeys. Is he concerned about what his father will do?" asked George.

"Seems more interested in spending time with his big sister than worrying about punishment."

"Good lad. No point in worrying about punishment after risking his neck like that. See you Christmas morning," Fred said with a grin.

"By the way, we'll own the old Zonko's shop in Hogsmeade after New Years. Verity's going to run it," added George.

The next day was spent decorating the grim old Black estate, and a music player helped set the mood with holiday songs. Toward evening Moody showed up with a spruce seedling about five centimeters tall. A touch of potion and a dab of magic made it grow to within a few centimeters of the ceiling in a matter of seconds. But it was decided that decorating the tree could wait until Christmas Eve.

Azizi was naturally busy but with the excitement building on Christmas Eve he was practically buzzing with chatter. He bounced around from room to room trying to find presents that had been hidden from him, which added a comic and teasable element to the festive mood.

This Christmas was the first time Harry and Hermione had spent together as a couple. It was exceptionally memorable to Harry as he had given Hermione a gold heart-shaped locket with a picture of them dancing together at the Fall Dance inside. Ginny had an odd look when Hermione showed it to her, but immediately said it was beautiful.

All the Weasley family, except Percy, was there and the house was full of activity. Fred and George helped add some much needed laughter to the sometimes tense mood when conversation drifted toward dark rumors and Death Eaters. Everyone was especially careful not to mention Percy for fear Mrs. Weasley would burst into tears.

Mundungus showed up and laughed about Piddleton going into hiding with a nearly chewed-in-two wand and not even a extra knut to show for his trouble. Turned out Azizi had attempted to wrest Piddleton's wand from him using only his teeth but the cursed galleon had Piddleton holding onto it too tightly.

Hermione urged Harry not to eat too much Christmas dinner because she wanted them to slip over to her parents shortly after. But after dinner at headquarters the impending meeting of Azizi with his father was on Harry's mind. He sat in a living room chair not saying much and listening to the wizarding wireless. After the current song of 'All I want is a cauldron for Christmas' ended the announcer spoke.

"I Hope everyone is having a marvelous Christmas and if you really wanted a cauldron for Christmas that you woke to find one under the tree. Next up is Silver n' Lovefire and did I hear correctly Cheryl that you have a new song?"

"That's right, it's called 'Found'. Merry Christmas to a certain witch and wizard."

Cursed to endless wander, but I was found

Lost like a cloud on a dark moonlit night, I searched for happiness to make things right

My heart was lost in the darkness but you came into my life and I was found

Don't leave me now, please turn around, because I have found - when I was found

More than I could have ever hoped for, that I have found

Rescued from endless wander I was found

You've given me hope there is light beyond the darkened skies when I look into your eyes

Please touch my hand and lead me from this desolate land and help me stand

Don't leave me now, please turn around, because I have found - when I was found

More than I could have ever hoped for, that I have found

Saved from endless wander I was found

Hold me tight with all your might and take me to the light of better days and tender nights

My heart was bound to discover I have found my lover

Don't leave me now, please turn around, because I have found - when I was found

More than I could have ever hoped for, that I have found

Harry and Hermione doubted that they were the wizard and witch Silver was referring to but the rest were fairly confident they were.

Harry and Hermione apparated to her parents with the melody of Silvertone's new song lingering in their heads.

Harry grinned as he watched Crookshanks and Miranda amongst the discarded wrapping paper around the Granger's small tree. Miranda would crawl with wide blue eyes after Crookshanks who would tentatively hide behind, or under, some colored paper. When Miranda got close enough Crookshanks would leap over her and hide again. Each time Miranda would squeal with glee making everyone laugh.

Yes, all in all, it had been a good day. Harry's only regret was that Remus couldn't join them for Christmas because of the full moon. Harry felt sleepy from having almost double Christmas dinner - at headquarters with the Weasleys and now with the Grangers. Harry sat back in a comfortable chair and thought how appropriate it had been for Bill and Fleur to announce their engagement. A June wedding was what they had planned.

Harry could picture the bride in a long flowing white gown, waiting for her groom. There was a wreath of white flowers crowning her delicate head of plentiful brown curls. Her chocolate brown eyes looked at him with the unspoken words "I love you". Today was their day. The words of the minister were a mumble in the background but he distinctly heard - "You may now kiss the bride".

He leaned close and felt the warmth of her lips.

"Wake up Harry," Hermione said smiling after giving him a quick kiss. "We need to go. Azizi will be headed to the Leaky and we should be there."

**********

**********

They arrived with a pop at the Leaky Cauldron. Tadra, Azizi and her two older brothers were in a small group talking amongst themselves while Dumbledore was discussing something with Stronan. A quick look at Tadra told him all was well but there was something else.

The Weasley's were in a huddled around a table in a far corner. Bill and Fleur were talking intently with the rest. Harry caught sight of Tonks, Moody, and Sturgis he knew something was terribly wrong. He and Hermione looked at each other and confirmed they were both thinking the same thing. Hermione started to make her way over to the Weasley's but Moody beckoned to both of them. Harry had a feeling of dread well up with each step he took. Moody was blunt and to the point.

"Emmaline Vance is dead - murdered. It happened near 10 Downing Street early this morning. There was no Dark Mark but Kingsley and others, including myself, think it was Death Eaters."

"But we just saw her the other day. She went with me and Ron to the Ministry," Hermione said numbly taking hold of Harry's arm.

"There's more. It's not yet common knowledge but the Dark Mark was spotted over the Chang family house less than twenty minutes ago. Word has it there were deaths."

Hermione gasped and a lump formed in Harry's throat.

"Cho?"

"We don't know."