Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** If you find yourself wondering what insult Jim Bennet uses, try letting your imagination wander to something rude, crude, and down right nasty - and you'll be getting close. ;) Hope you enjoy ***

Even though Hermione was better, she was still not her old self. And it was not beyond a group of Slytherin girls to taunt her while she made Prefect rounds.

Whispering amongst themselves but making sure there conversation could still be overheard as they followed Hermione down the corridor.

"That's the Gryffindor freak ahead of us," said Pansy Parkinson to a sixth year Slytherin.

"Really? I thought she was supposed to be dead. Killed by a Death Eater, oh my. Amazing though she's still walking around, if she's supposed to be dead."

"Dead, or alive? How could you possibly tell the difference. She'd look the same wouldn't she?" The Slytherins giggled. Then one of them let slip out, "Filthy Mudblood." That set off oh's and ooo's

that were followed with more giggles. Hermione stopped in her tracks as though she were staring at something in the floor ahead of her. She turned slowly around facing her mockers.

"What are you going to do Granger? Take away some points? Draco's a Prefect too. He'll…." She didn't finish amongst the gasps from everyone.

"Merlin - Look at her eyes. They're all gray."

"Told ya she was a freak."

"So what's the matter Granger?"

"Oh, sorry. I seem to have forgotten a book back in the library," Hermione said cheerfully. She walked back through the group of Slytherins who parted staring at her strange looking eyes. "Excuse me," she said apologetically, a corner of her mouth twitching, as she made her way through them.

There was all sorts of chatter about Hermione's eyes as the Slytherins continued down the corridor in the direction they were originally going. Hermione however ducked around a corner listening intently.

Suddenly there was a chorus of shrieks, followed by a barrage of curses directed at a certain poltergeist named Peeves. Peeves could be heard above the curses, "Preeety color undies, - Neh heh!"

Hermione covered her mouth and clutched her side, laughing silently.

It was Wednesday morning at Breakfast and owls were flying in, delivering the post. Hermione retrieved her normal subscription of the Daily Prophet from a common barn-owl. There was also Hedwig waiting patiently for Hermione to remove a letter attached to her leg. Hermione knew it was a letter from home because Harry had made arrangements with the Grangers to let them borrow Hedwig the Saturday they came to see her in the Hospital Wing. Hermione had almost smiled when Ron had told her that he'd offered Pig as a back up owl in case Hedwig got tired. Yes, Harry and Ron were good friends. She was feeling less depressed because of their efforts and the efforts of others. She was grateful to them all, but was still feeling dejected. She was surprised when a Barred owl showed up delivering a letter.

"Just a sec Hedwig, I know yours is from mum and dad." Hedwig tried to look offended by turning away as Hermione untied a letter from the Barred owl and then Hedwig. Hermione read the letter from the Barred owl and betrayed nothing of its contents except for her eyes widening briefly. She nonchalantly tucked it away in her robe. She then read the letter from home.

"Wow, Hermione. That must be some letter. I haven't seen you smile like that in weeks," said Lavender from across the table. This one comment brought all eyes at the Gryffindor table to rest on Hermione and it was true, she looked happy enough to burst.

"What's finally brought your 'shine Hermione? Come on, tell us," encouraged Ron.

Hermione looked dazed. "Well, um…" Was all she managed to get out. And a more amplified round of pleading and coaxing ensued.

"Come on Herm, tell us," said Harry looking into her dark brown eyes.

"I - I can hardly believe it," she said smiling even more. "I'm going to be a big sister!" Hermione was inundated with congratulations.

Girls quickly dominated the conversation asking questions about names for Hermione's new sibling. And whether it would be a witch or wizard, and about two dozen more questions in the span of a few minutes. Harry, Ron, and the other guys looked on with bemusement wondering what all the fuss was about. Harry overheard Hermione answer a few questions before he and Ron decided to leave.

"Mum said the baby was due in March. It will certainly be strange, being a big sister. I'm so much older. I've never really minded being an only child but this is so exciting."

All the talk about babies was too much for them. Though they were both glad that something had brought Hermione out of her slump.

It was only a short time later they were on the way to potions class, Hermione was still bubbly about being a big sister and talking about which room would most likely be the baby's room.

"Oh, before I forget. I want both of you to meet me at the Three Broomsticks at one o'clock on Saturday. It's our Hogsmeade weekend and I have a surprise for both of you."

"But I thought you and I could spend Saturday at Hogsmeade," said Ron looking suddenly dejected.

"Don't be presumptuous Ron, you didn't ask. Besides, there are other weekends at Hogsmeade and we don't have to make our visit exclusive. The three of us have always gone before. And please don't be late, or forget - one o'clock. This will be well worth it. By the way… don't tell anyone else - this is something special.

Just outside of potions came Malfoy and some other Slytherins. "Tell me it's not true Granger. Another Mudblood is on its way? Or worse - another Muggle. Give me a break." Harry wondered if Malfoy was disappointed that Hermione was no longer sullen and depressed .

"I refuse to let your rude comments spoil my good mood," said Hermione with an air of defiance.

"I'd be glad to give ya a break Malfoy. Where would you prefer the break? An arm, a leg, or a nose?" asked Ron bristling, color starting to rise in his face.

"You can try Weasley…," said Malfoy fingering his wand tucked away in his robe. The ever present Crabbe and Goyle behind him flexing their fists in anticipation. The air was tense and Harry didn't want Ron to end up in detention to ruin Hermione's day. Or worse, himself and Hermione in detention along with Ron, because they would obviously come to Ron's aid. Malfoy would like nothing better, and knew the likelihood of Snape coming around the corner would be high since they were in front of the potions classroom. Harry had to think fast to divert the situation.

"Say Malfoy, you've been claiming there's no more Death Eaters even though we both know that isn't true."

"What of it Potter," snarled Malfoy not taking his eyes off Ron.

"If your dad is a Death Eater, and we both know that's true as well. What does that make you? - A Death Nibbler?"

Ron snorted and Hermione tried not to giggle. There was also laughter from fellow Gryffindor's that had started to gather for class and were wondering if Draco and Ron would soon be dueling. Crabbe and Goyle just looked confused, their normal state of mind.

Malfoy, who had been trying to stare Ron down, turned slowly to Harry and gave him a dark look. Harry gave Malfoy a smug smile as Snape rounded the corner.

"Everyone should already be in their seats and prepared for class," quipped Snape. Then looking at Harry and Ron added, "Or shall I start deducting points."

That evening found Harry, Hermione and Ron waiting at the barrier to the Headmaster's Sanctum waiting for their second special lesson to begin. They were early. Harry and Ron had taken up pestering Hermione about her surprise at Hogsmeade, the next day, to pass the time.

"You may as well give up. I'm not going to tell you."

Ron sighed, "Yeah, I believe she's right Harry. Looks like we'll have to show up to find out." Ron slapped a boulder at the barrier entrance. "Wish we could go on in. I'd like to look the place over."

"I agree. Who would have ever thought the Headmaster had a place to get away from it all." Harry reached out to slap the same boulder that Ron had. His hand went right through it nearly causing him to loose his balance. "What the ….?" Hermione and Ron had come up beside him. Hermione hadn't seen Harry put his hand into the barrier but Ron had. Ron reached out and touched the boulder that Harry had just put his hand through. It was solid.

"Blimey! Do that again Harry."

"Do what?" asked Hermione and then gasped as Harry put his hand into the barrier again. Hermione then tried it herself and was even more surprised when her own hand went into the barrier.

"How come you two can do that and I can't?"

"I don't know," shrugged Harry who looked at Hermione who shrugged back. "Shall we?" Harry motioned to the barrier. "We were just talking about having a look."

"I'm not sure that's a good idea," said Hermione. "We don't even know if Ron can go through yet."

Harry stepped half way into the barrier and looked at Ron who eagerly stepped up, tested the barrier with his hand and then stepped in halfway. Both boys looked at Hermione.

"Well, okay. A look around before class shouldn't be any harm."

They made there way toward the main chamber only to find it pitch black.

"I wonder why the torches aren't lit," said Ron.

"Why indeed?" growled a familiar voice. It was the tone of the voice that set Harry's nerves on edge and made the hair on the back of his neck stand on end. He quickly looked over to Hermione; her eyes were wide, fading in and out of brown and gray. "Drop your wands! - Now!" barked the rough voice of Alastor Moody. "Slowly with two fingers - mind you, I'm watching."

"Is this some kind of lesson professor Moody?" asked Ron. Evidently he had recognized the voice as well.

You're a hair's breadth away from being stunned, the lot of ya. Not another word from any of ya till you drop your wands to the floor."

Three wooden wands clinked to the floor. And just as the wands hit the floor an unfamiliar female voice came out the darkness to their right. "Accio wands ! "

"That's better," growled Moody. "Torches." The main chamber was suddenly lit by dancing torch light. Alastor Moody with his wand outstretched stepped forward, a clunk with every other step, his electric blue magical eye frantically scanning the three of them in turn. A shorter hooded figure whose wand was also pointed at them and holding their three wands in the other hand stepped up beside him.

"Well, Moody? Can't that eye of yours tell if it's them, or not?"

"It looks like them right enough, still….Oh, nice catch with the summoning spell, by the way. It was good to see you didn't drop any."

"Hmph! I'm not that clumsy."

"Of course it's us. Why wouldn't it be us? Were you expecting someone else?" Ron retorted. Harry might have asked something similar except that he had just stole a quick look at Hermione's eyes and was feeling some relief at seeing them back to their normal color.

"We were expecting three Hogwarts students to teach some advanced magic to. However…we were not expecting them to casually walk through a barrier that no one but the Headmaster or members of the Order should be able to go through, and I know for a fact that none of you have been inducted into the Order."

There were three simultaneous "Oh"'s that could have been considered almost comical if not for the circumstances and Moody's suspicious gaze. But the hooded witch seemed convinced by their reactions and removed her hood, poking herself in the cheek with one of the extra wands she was holding. Now rubbing her cheek was a young witch with a pale heart shaped face, modestly short platinum blonde hair and dark twinkling eyes. Harry figured she was maybe six or seven years older than himself.

"Tonks!" barked Moody. "Don't let your guard down. We need to establish their identity. Any witch or wizards powerful enough to get past that barrier could be capable of fooling this eye of mine."

Tonks grudgingly brought her wand back up. "That's a first. I thought nothing got past that eye of yours. And just how do you propose we prove who they are - to your satisfaction?"

"I have a suggestion, if I may. I have a map that shows everyone's identity in the whole school."

"Do you now - Tonks, be a good witch and retrieve it from her." Tonks gave a brief glance to where Moody's wooden leg and clawed foot would be, though not exposed, and complied. Tonks gave a reassuring smile to the three of them and took Hermione's map back to Moody.

"Keep an eye on 'em while I look this over. How does it work?"

"You tap it with your wand and say the words 'For the good of Hogwarts I am about to break the rules'."

Moody opened the map and watched in amazement. "Merlin's beard," he muttered. He quickly caught how to operate it, along with a few hints from Hermione. "I see now. Yes, the color coding is easy enough to understand. And there's Arabella in the Staff Room, no finer Auror I've had the pleasure of working with. And here's myself as well as Nymphadora."

"What? Oh, don't use that name. You know I prefer Tonks."

Moody chuckled and turned his attention to Hermione again. "You made this yourself?"

"With the help of Mr. Lupin, yes." Hermione immediately went into a long spiel about the difficulties and intricacies of making the map. Harry and Ron turned and looked at Hermione and then to each other, some of the complexity of the magic she described was sailing over their heads.

Moody lowered his wand and held up his hand motioning her to stop. "Okay, I believe you. Remus you say? That explains a lot. However, I would like to see how you got past the barrier."

It was a short walk back to the barrier that looked like a tunnel cave in, Moody took up the rear, the clunk of his wooden leg heard behind them. Harry and Hermione demonstrated how they could go right through but Ron couldn't.

Moody stroked what was left of his scarred chin. I heard rumor Mr. Potter, that you and Mr. Weasley performed 'The Breath of Life' to bring back Miss Granger here." The three of them nodded. "Was Fawkes involved in some way?"

"I don't recall much about it. Hermione seems to remember more than either Ron or I do."

"I remember most of what happened within the spell but nothing that might have happened outside of it. I honestly don't know."

"Good enough. We've got lessons to do and we've wasted enough time already."

In the time-delayed training chamber Moody formally introduced himself. To Harry it felt strange to be introduced to someone he thought he had known for a year. Barty Crouch Junior had impersonated Moody the year before. Then Tonks, who gave their wands back to them, was introduced. Tonks was very likeable and had a friendly disposition, quite a contrast to Moody.

"You look just like I thought you would Harry. You know Sirius is my Cousin and if Sirius is your Godfather that makes me your god-cousin." Tonks laughed. "I suppose that's a silly way of putting it."

"Yes it is," growled Moody. But Harry was pleased at the thought of having more family even if it was a god-cousin.

"This evening's lesson will be about concealment and its many forms. In a battle against dark wizards and witches you may not have the luxury of being able to physically out maneuver your enemy. You could be wounded or otherwise disabled." Moody thumped his wooden foot on the floor giving his words real meaning. "You may not be ale to, for whatever reason, to disapparate. Or, as in your case," looking at the three of them, "may not yet have learned the art of apparition. Regardless, you are left with a choice to hide, or attack. If the number and strength of your enemy is unknown your only choice is concealment.

A concealment spell works best for a room, or hiding place. Whether the hiding place is a closet or under a table doesn't matter. The major advantage of a concealment spell is that it conceals the three senses, sight, sound and smell. Once cast the area of concealment will appear to any onlooker as it did, without you in it. You can talk or yell it doesn't matter, they won't hear you. The disadvantage is that if the area of concealment is entered, the spell is broken. In other words, if you have placed a concealment spell on a room and someone enters it they will suddenly see and hear you. If you are hiding under a table with a concealment spell and someone sticks their head under it they will see you. However the look on someone's face about to be stunned, point blank between the eyes, can be very amusing." Moody gave a nasty chuckle. "And let that be a lesson to ya. If you suspect someone might be under a table with a concealment spell don't stick your head under it. Tip it over from a distance."

"A disillusionment charm is more local in nature and more permanent. You will need to undo the charm once it has been put in place. The advantage is that you will not be revealed if someone were to enter a room. The disadvantage is that it only conceals sight. Also be aware that someone with exceptional eyesight may see some blurring if you move. So it's very important to remain silent, as well as still, if using a disillusionment charm. Step forward Potter, it's important you all see and experience what a disillusionment charm is like. Tonks, you take Weasley."

Moody rapped Harry hard on top of the head and Harry felt a curious sensation as though Moody had just smashed an egg there; cold trickles seemed to be running down his body from the point the wand had struck. Harry heard Ron say, "Ow!" and Tonks reply "Sorry, did that a little hard." Harry turned and watched as Ron seemed to have invisible paint, starting from his head and going down to his feet, melt him away into nothingness.

"Hey look at me. I'm invisible," chortled Ron. "No, wait. I'm not invisible. This is something else."

Harry noticed some blurring at what must have been Ron's hands waving around as Ron said, 'look at me'. It wasn't invisibility but more like a chameleon effect. After Hermione had been disillusioned they all had the charm removed. It felt like something hot instead of something cold as the charm undid itself starting from the head down to the feet.

"Another useful item is an invisibility cloak." Moody continued. "You have James' cloak don't you Potter?"

"Not with me, but yeah I have it."

"Good. Anyway, the main advantage of an invisibility cloak is that it doesn't need magic."

"How's that helpful?" asked Ron.

Moody said slowly with ominous implications, "There are ways of detecting when magic is being performed, as Mr. Potter is painfully aware. If I remember correctly you received notice of an illegal hovering charm once."

"Yeah, but that was Dobby."

"Then you've realized by now that the detection for the use of magic is not discriminatory." Moody paused letting that sink in. "The disadvantage of an invisibility cloak is that a strong gust of wind could expose you if the hood comes off or the cloak lifts too high off the ground. And it does not conceal sound or smell."

"We now come to disguises, and this is where Tonks will demonstrate." Tonks threw her hood up and turned away from them. "If I were a dark wizard in pursuit of a young Auror witch who had just turned the corner in front of me I might say something like. 'Halt! We've got you now Tonks. Reveal yourself'"

Harry, Hermione and Ron were shocked when Tonks turned around and lowered her hood revealing an old witch with long gray hair and nasty looking teeth. In a crackling voice she replied, "Wha's this about? I know not of anythin' called Tonks. I was on my way to the Hog's Head for a pint a' brew, if ya knows what I mean. Care ta join me?" winked the old witch.

"Pay special attention that Tonks had something to say, a reasonable explanation, to go with her change in appearance. This is what makes a good disguise and can mean the difference between life and death."

"Always so gloomy Moody," said Tonks in her normal voice, still looking like an old hag. She then had a concentrated look on her face as if she were trying to remember something and her face changed back to normal but her hair was now short and black with white tipped spikes. "You make it sound as though there's a Death Eater around every corner."

"We're living in dark times again," growled Moody. "You'd all do well to develop a suspicious nature."

"Well I'd like to know how you do that," Hermione asked Tonks.

"Oh, I'm a Metamorphmagus. That means I can -"

"Change your appearance at will," Hermione finished for her.

"Oh, you're a sharp one," commented Tonks as Hermione beamed.

"Let's get on with the lesson. The main objective this evening is to teach at least one of you to master the concealment spell. You will need a means of practicing what you learn in these special lessons, unobserved. You may also want to discuss matters of the Order that you cannot dare let anyone else overhear. This is an advanced spell and not an easy one to master and it could be a long night, even for a time-delayed room."

Moody was right. They had used the Sanctum's lavish bathroom as a practice room for the concealment spell and after six hours, and two breaks, a lot of one on one and two on one instruction; Hermione was the only one showing promise of getting close. She hadn't vanished from sight but she had managed to conceal sound. Harry had watched her go through the motions of a triumphant "YES!" but hadn't heard a thing.

"Excellent Hermione!" exclaimed Tonks. "You've almost got it. Go ahead and remove the spell. Remember? Retego." Hermione nodded and removed her incomplete concealment spell. Harry watched Hermione mouth the word Retego and Tonks went in to give her a few last tips. Hermione cast the spell one more time 'Obumbro', she and Tonks disappeared.

"Good, this evening's lesson is over. Granger evidently has the hang of it, very adept. With her help I think you two may have it down soon."

Harry looked back at the bathroom doorway and there were suddenly two Hermiones. The one in Tonk's robes said, "Okay, which is the real Hermione."

"The one in Hermione's robes of course," replied Ron.

"Ha, we had enough time we could have changed robes. Tells us, who's the real Hermione." They both strode out so Harry and Ron could get a good look.

Ron circled the two and shrugged. "I dunno. I can't tell. Can you tell Professor Moody?"

"'Course I can tell. Tonks broke her leg once while going through Auror training. I can see the fracture." Moody's magical eye didn't betray which one might be Tonks but did its normal thing of constantly surveying the surroundings.

Harry took a turn and circled the girls. They looked exactly alike down to the curls, hair color and eyes. Then he looked deep into a pair of dark brown eyes, the one wearing Tonks' robes. Something seemed to be missing. He looked deep into the next pair of brown eyes. The thing he was looking for was there, a feeling, the urge to lean forward and kiss her. He had to will himself not to do it. It would have been embarrassing for both of them. Still…..

"You. You're the real Hermione," Harry said grinning. The Hermione in front of him beamed.

The other Hermione pouted, gave a concentrated look and reformed into Tonks. "Darn, what was it? A tint too much purple with the brown eyes?"

"No, you both looked exactly alike. I'm not sure how to explain, how I knew. I just did."

"Very good Potter, I'm surprised you could tell the difference. Tonks is probably the best at disguise the Order's got. I'm calling it a night. I'm not as young as I used to be. How about you Tonks, ready to go?"

"Not just yet. I'd like to relay a message to Harry from Sirius."

Hermione figured that was her queue to leave. "You can tell me what Sirius said later Harry. I'm tired. I'll wait for you both on the other side of the barrier." Hermione didn't need to force a yawn, it came on its own. "Yeah, big day at Hogsmeade tomorrow. Don't stay too long."

Hermione left while Moody was picking up parchment and illustrations he had brought to teach concealment.

Tonks eyed Harry and Ron. "Are you two sure she doesn't know about your dance lessons?"

"I don't think so," Harry said uncertainly remembering Hermione's suggestion on how to take care of sore feet.

"How could she?" interjected Ron. "And why do you ask?"

"Lupin told me you two would like some lessons. And I'd be more than glad to help."

Moody coughed. "I'd recommend that you remove the breakables before you begin. See you at the next meeting Tonks." Moody turned and headed for the threshold as Tonks stuck her tongue out at his back. "I saw that," said Moody just before he stepped across.

"I was pretty sure you would," replied Tonks.

Tonks turned to the two boys. "Are you sure you don't want to go and bring Hermione back? I'm sure it'd be a lot more fun to learn with her." Harry raised an eyebrow at Ron and didn't say anything.

"Uh, no. It'll be more of a surprise this way," Ron said sounding more as if he was trying to convince himself more than anyone else. Harry shook his head and rolled his eyes at the ceiling.

"Suit yerselves then. I brought my music player so we can practice to some real music rather than count off steps." Tonks pulled out a small wooden box with hinged lid, placed it on a table and opened it. The box was slightly larger than a ring box and had a treble clef symbol on the lid. It was lined with dark red velvet and had a circular indentation. Harry thought it could easily be a coin display case. Then she pulled out a half dozen multicolored discs that Harry realized had miniature wizarding pictures and titles, with fancy lettering.

"Nice," said Ron as he scanned the titles. "Oh yeah, you've got Lovefire's latest songs too. They're going to play at our Fall Dance," Ron said smugly.

"Aww, now I wish I was a Hogwarts student. Maybe I could impersonate one, eh? It looked as though she gave it a fleeting thought and just as quickly dismissed it. "Anyway, you guys are really lucky. I hear Cheryl Silvertone and her group are booked up at a lot of events and are difficult to get. Extremely popular this year. Have you ever heard them Harry?"

"Ah, no. Living with muggles and all."

"Thought so, by the way Sirius described it, nasty lot. Let's put Lovefire in first." She placed a disk, with a smiling silver haired young witch on it, inside the music player and closed the lid. She tapped it once with her wand and Harry was immediately enveloped in theatre quality sound. It didn't make any difference where he stood, or even if he walked around it sounded perfect, as though he were at the center of every note. It seemed to be the same for Tonks and Ron as well. Cheryl Silvertone had a beautiful voice.

Tonks had a variety of music ranging from fast to slow. She admitted that she wasn't that good at slow dancing and proved it by stepping on Harry and Ron's toes almost as much as they stepped on hers. However, when it came to the fast dancing Tonks was good. She had a few fancy moves that Harry and Ron caught on to quickly. In the process of fast dancing Tonks managed to accidentally kick Ron once and knock over a chair. Harry was beginning to see what Moody had meant, that she was somewhat clumsy, but it was easily overlooked because of her friendly personality.

"Whoo," she said breathing heavily, her face flushed. She had been dancing almost non-stop for an hour alternating between Harry and Ron or dancing with both of them when playing faster music. "Hermione's been waiting almost ten minutes. Now before we go Harry I can tell you that the place Sirius is staying at is the Order's new headquarters. I can't tell you where specifically because Dumbledore is the Secret Keeper, but I believe he will tell you before Christmas. Sirius is so looking forward to seeing you again and hearing all about Quidditch. He's been bragging about you being made captain of the Gryffindor team."

"I'd like to see him as well."

"So would I," said Ron.

"I think you will," smiled Tonks, "Hermione too."

They found Hermione asleep, sitting down and leaning against the wall of the tunnel. Harry smiled and gently shook her shoulder. "Hey… Herm."

She woke and looked into his eyes and said groggily, "Harry, is it over? Have we waited long enough?"

Harry knew instantly that she was referring to their agreement to wait before giving into the feelings they had for each other. It took him by surprise and knew she wouldn't have asked the question in front of Ron if she hadn't been half-asleep.

"Yes, we're done talking with Tonks sleepy head." Ron extended a hand to help her up and Harry did the same.

She looked at Ron and remembered where she was. "Oh," she said and let the two of them help her up. "Thanks." They secretly made there way back to Gryffindor Tower looking forward to some sleep and a Saturday at Hogsmeade.

A little while latter at the Headquarters of the Order Tonks had entered quietly only to trip over the umbrella stand next to the door. Tonks and the umbrella stand were deftly caught before they crashed to the floor.

"Dang, did it again. Thanks Sirius."

"No problem, cousin. What news of my Godson?"

"I believe he and Ron Weasley will do just fine at the Hogwarts Fall Dance. Maybe just a little more practice, it wouldn't hurt. And you're up late. Having trouble sleeping again?"

"As if there were anything for me to do," said Sirius dryly. "To tell the truth I wanted to hear about Harry." Tonks relayed what Harry and Ron had said about Quidditch and how much Harry was looking forward to seeing him at Christmas. She also told him how she had made herself look like Hermione to see if the boys could tell them apart.

"Showing off again, eh?" Sirius grinned.

"Umm yeah, but thing is Harry could tell the difference."

"You don't say." Sirius looked thoughtful.

"It was the way he looked into Hermione's eyes… It reminded me of when I was a little girl and you used to look into Sarah Campbell's eyes. Have you ever tried to find out what happened to her Sirius?"

"Tonks, please, you know what she did. Besides, she will have found someone and have a family by now." Tonks and Sirius made there way to the kitchen. Sirius put water on to boil for tea and they both sat down at the kitchen table to wait. Sirius sighed. "Ever hear of a love potion that's lasted almost seventeen years?"

"Nope. I could put out an inquiry for her if you like."

"No, don't do that," Sirius said quickly. "I've still got a price on my head and if any unscrupulous witch or wizard thought she could be used against me…. Well, you understand."

"I see what you mean. But will you ever look her up, find out what became of her?" Tonks got up and poured tea. She turned to give Sirius a cup, almost dropping it in the process but Sirius was ready again.

"If we ever get through this, this war. If we finally get rid of Voldemort and his Death Eaters….maybe." They both sipped tea in silence thinking personal thoughts and of dark times that may lie ahead.

They may have started the morning out tired but when it was time to go to Hogsmeade the excitement kicked in and they were ready. Hermione reminded them again to meet at The Three Broomsticks at one o'clock before they parted. Harry and Ron made a beeline to Honeydukes Sweetshop, loading up on all their favorite sweets. Ron wanted to go to Zonkos Joke Shop next but Harry talked him into going to Gladrags Wizardwear to get Dobby another pair of socks first.

"Hasn't Dobby got enough socks? He certainly doesn't need any hats. I think he has every hat that Hermione's ever knitted. I mean really, trying to free the house-elves by leaving those things in the Common Room."

"I know, she means well enough. From what I've seen, I don't think that most house-elves want to be free. Dobby on the other hand seems to be an exception. I mean what creature wouldn't want to be free, treated like he was by the Malfoys. I kind of like these." Harry held up a pair of black socks with silver and gold moving planets on them.

"Nah, Dobby likes the bright and wild kind. Something that a normal wizard wouldn't want to be caught dead in let alone wear. Something more like these." Ron held up a pair or rainbow colored socks, the bright colors still swirling around. It looked like someone had stuck a spoon into a rainbow, stirred it up, and dipped in a pair of socks. They were bright, they were gaudy, and Harry agreed that Dobby would like them better.

Harry picked up a pair of white socks with brightly colored flowers with fluttering butterflies all magically designed into the material. Harry thought to himself, 'Winky helped take care of Hermione and me in the Hospital Wing over the summer just as Dobby did. Maybe she would like a pair as well.'

When they stepped out of Gladrags Harry's keen eyes spied two young men with bright red hair down the street towards The Hogs Head.

"That looks like Fred and George down the side street."

"Yeah, it has to be them. Strange, usually Fred and George are always into some kind of trouble but lately they've taken such an interest in getting a business started they don't seem to have time. I wonder what they're up to now. What do you say we go check it out?"

Harry glanced at his watch. "Not much time before we're supposed to meet Hermione but yeah. Let's go."

Even before Harry and Ron got close they could tell Fred and George were in a bad mood about something. When they got close it was easy to see fire in there eyes, their wands to the ready.

"I say we take him. First Bagman and now this bloke. I've had it up to my eyeballs." George lifted his wand and started to go around the corner of the building. Fred pulled him back.

"Not yet. We need to think about this. Oh, hey there little bro', Harry," said Fred. George lowered his wand but didn't put it away.

"What's wrong? And who are you getting ready to curse?" Ron asked hesitantly.

Fred motioned around the corner with a jerk of his head. "See that greasy haired git leaning against the building over there stuffing his face? He just cheated us out of fifteen galleons and we were just discussing how to get it back."

Ron's jaw dropped, "Fifteen galleons? Where did you get fifteen galleons?"

"Tut, tut, little bro'. Don't get in a twist about it. What's more important at the moment is getting it back. And I think you two could be of assistance." George brightened, eyeing the two and put his wand away just as two more Gryffindors came running up.

"Oi! What's up?" asked Jim Bennet, his younger brother Tim right behind him.

"Yeah, what's the meetin' for? Got another product to test?" asked Tim.

"No, nothing like that at the moment," said Fred who proceeded to tell the Bennets what was going on. Six pairs of eyes looked around the corner checking on the thief eating a rolled up something that looked like a burrito. He was a lean looking wizard in his thirties with unkept clothes and hair. He had a dirty face and a short pointed black beard.

Harry had to ask the question. "Just exactly what were you trying to buy and how did he cheat you?"

"We were trying to buy. . .," Fred glanced at Ron, "some seeds. We need them in developing our Skiving Snackboxes. We weren't exactly experts on identification of the seeds and he slipped us some look-alikes. The no good -," said George trailing off with a slew of unsavory and derogatory names. "I was just getting ready to suggest that Harry and Ron provide a distraction while Fred and I sneak up from behind and relieve his purse of our galleons, and put back his worthless seeds."

"Oh, hey. Let Tim and I provide the distraction. Harry and Ron can be lookouts."

Fred gave the two brothers a coy look. "Hmmm, what did you have in mind?"

Identical impish grins formed on the Bennet brother's faces. "Leave that up to us," said Jim. "And you'll definitely know when. And as for what we've got in mind? Well…" The brothers faces suddenly turned innocent as two angles. "All we're going to do is talk to the nice gentleman." Tim winked at Jim and they both snickered.

Fred and George agreed, but suggested that everyone make a hasty return to Hogwarts after the ploy was sprung.

"But we're supposed to meet Hermione at the Three Broomsticks within a quarter hour," said Ron hastily. He was either hoping to thwart the operation altogether or get himself and Harry removed from it.

"Oh, that. She invited me and Fred as well. Something hush hush. Give Hermione our regards, but I see no reason why you two can't make it, unless you're seen. Ready? Tim, Jim?"

Fred and George went quietly around the side. Jim and Tim nonchalantly walked up to their quarry who was still absorbed in eating. Harry watched Jim and Tim intently while Ron fretted in his ear about Fred and George having money and probably involved in illegal activities. Jim and Tim seemed to be talking away to the man who was only nodding in reply. Harry was watching it all unfold. Jim saw a signal from Fred and George who had taken up position, crouched low to the corner of the building, wands out and with a clear view. Jim watched the man raise his hand up for another bite, waiting, waiting for exactly the right moment. And as the thieving wizard opened his mouth the two brothers took on that same impish grin. It reminded Harry the look a child might have just before they did something they knew was very naughty. Jim had evidently said something extraordinarily insulting as Tim stood by, smiling gleefully, nodded his head in vigorous agreement. The man was so startled he dropped his food all down his front and threw what was left onto the ground, swearing. Jim and Tim took off screaming and giggling in opposite directions. The thief was evidently so incensed by what Jim had said that he was swearing at the top of his lungs shooting wildly aimed curses from his wand that didn't hit either of the fleeing Bennets. Fred and George found all the activity to be more than ample distraction as one made a tear in the thieving wizard's robe while the other pulled out his purse, made the exchange and put it back.

Mission accomplished, Harry and Ron quickly made their way to the Three Broomsticks trying not to laugh too loud before they were out of earshot.

Ron snorted, "I wonder what Jim said that made that guy so mad? Did you see the look on his face?"

"I have no idea but I'd like to find out. It must have been really bad," Harry chuckled, glad Ron was no longer fretting about his two older brothers. Harry was still uncomfortable at the thought of eventually having to tell Ron the money they had came from him.

Harry and Ron entered the Three Broomsticks and found Hermione and Ginny along with an elderly witch at a table near the back. There was nothing about the witch or her appearance that was striking, unusual, or exceptional. In fact she was very ordinary in appearance. Her plain brown robes, plain brown-grey hair, even her blue eyes seemed ordinary. As he and Ron approached the table Hermione and Ginny looked ecstatic and barely able to contain themselves motioning for Harry and Ron to take a seat.

"Harry, do you have a couple of knuts?"

"Er, yeah, I probably do."

"Well, hurry up and buy one of Cheryl's good luck trinkets. You too Ron."

"Two more butterbeers?" asked Rosemerta strolling by, waiting on tables.

"Yes, and I'll buy," said Hermione glancing at Harry and Ron as they dug into their pockets for money.

Harry took a seat between Hermione and Ginny putting two knuts on the table in front of him. Ron was digging into his third pocket.

"Ron, I've got you covered," said Ginny sliding knuts across the table toward Ron. "You probably blew all your money at Honeydukes anyway."

"Er, thanks. And I did not," said Ron taking a seat next to Hermione and giving Ginny an indignant look.

"Alright," said Hermione, "Harry, Ron, this is Cheryl. She has some very intricate and hand made good luck trinkets for sale. It's not unusual for an elderly, and unemployed, witch or wizard to sell charmed trinkets. Cheryl, this is Harry Potter and Ron Weasley."

There was something in the way that Hermione was talking that made Harry feel there was more going on here than she was saying, but he figured he'd find out soon enough.

The witch nodded to Ron and then Harry, glancing briefly to Harry's forehead before asking in a raspy voice, "Aren't we expecting two more?"

"Fred and George told us they wouldn't be able to make it."

"Yeah, they had to get back to Hogwarts in a bit of a hurry, along with the Bennet brothers," said Harry. Hermione raised an eyebrow, Harry and Ron just grinned back at her. She took it as a story to hear later.

"There loss," said Ginny.

"What? For missing out on some useless trinkets?"

"Ron, mind your manners," scolded Ginny.

Hermione slid a note on the table toward Harry. Harry turned it up and read.

Try not to act surprised when you get your trinket.

Hermione took the note back and slid it to Ron. Ron had one of those 'What?' looks on his face. Harry shrugged and held out two knuts to Cheryl who took them and handed him a miniature basket, no bigger than his thumb, with tiny life-like flowers. Harry was looking over the craftsmanship of the trinket when he noticed Ron wasn't looking at his trinket but was gaping at the elderly witch he had just bought it from. To Harry's amazement the elderly witch was no longer elderly.

"Good, from the looks on your faces I'd say the money I spent on this disguising spell was worth what I paid. The spell is broken only for the recipient of a trinket." Her voice was no longer raspy but rich and resonant. Harry watched her put away two remaining trinkets. Evidently they had been intended for Fred and George. Harry was now looking at a witch in her mid twenties with silvery colored hair and dark brown eyes. He recognized her from a music disc that Tonks had of Cheryl Silvertone. This was the Cheryl Silvertone sitting at the table with them.

"I've already explained to Hermione and Ginny what I've asked you here for. I'm wanting to know more about the 'Breath of Life'. According to legend, Merlin performed the spell on his lover Nimue when she was presumed dead so there is little known about the spell. I thought it could make for a great love song if I knew more about it. And since all of you are the only ones to have been part of, or witnessed, the 'Breath of Life' I thought I would ask you directly. Hermione here was gracious enough to set up the meeting. Hermione, since you were the one brought back. Maybe you could start."

Hermione told all about her experience and what she remembered from within the spell. Harry and Ron told about the frantic dash to Hogwarts and about what happened before the spell was cast by Dumbledore. Ginny told about her brief glimpse of the spell as Fawkes, Dumbledore's pet phoenix flew into the Hospital Wing.

"Fawkes?" asked Harry, Hermione and Ron.

"Is there some significance to a phoenix being involved?" asked Cheryl.

"No, not that we are aware of. It's just that we didn't know," explained Hermione.

Cheryl went over the highlights of what happened again to be sure she had it right and then looked at Ginny sitting next to Harry and Ron sitting next to Hermione. "I just have to ask. By chance is there anything going on here? You would make two very cute couples."

"We're all good friends," Harry responded almost too quickly. Ginny tried not to blush and nodded in agreement. Hermione confirmed it was true, that they were all good friends.

"I'm taking Hermione to the Fall Dance," said Ron with pride in his voice.

"Yes, I will be at the Fall Dance and I fully intend to see every one of you there as well. Harry, are you taking anyone to the Fall Dance?"

Harry felt warm around his neck. "No, I'm going alone."

"I'm going alone too," Ginny said squirming on her chair, her cheeks with a touch of color.

Cheryl rose from her chair and shook everyone's hand. "Thank you all very much and I'll see you in a few weeks."

The four of them watched Cheryl Silvertone leave out the front door of the Three Broomsticks. "Blimey," said Ron. "Fred and George are going to be surprised at who we met."

Harry, Hermione, Ginny and Ron had secured a table in the Gryffindor common room right after the evening meal. Hermione had prodded the boys to tell her what mischief the twins and the Bennets had been into earlier that required them to make a hasty retreat back to Hogwarts. Harry and Ron gave a full account. There were three concerned looks at the table about where Fred and George could have gotten the money they seem to have but the mystery of what Jim Bennet had said to the thieving wizard overshadowed their concern, for the time being.

Fred and George came bounding into the common room and up to the table. "Well guys, what was Hermione's big secret we missed out on?"

"Oh, I almost forgot." Hermione dug into a pocket in her robe. "Cheryl, wanted us all to have her latest music disc." She handed out five discs and kept one for herself. Everyone was pleased to have one.

"Why thank you Hermione but who did you say gave us these?"

"Cheryl Silvertone of course."

The twins eyes got big. "No! You're kidding, right?"

"You mean that George and I missed out on meeting the Cheryl Silvertone?" Everyone gave the affirmative. Fred and George flopped down into two chairs,'

"You know Fred, business deals can certainly mess up social opportunities." Fred nodded in agreement.

"What I want to know is what you two are up to and where did you get all that money?" Ginny asked. Harry tried not to look uncomfortable even though Ginny was asking the twins.

"Now Ginny, you ask more than we're prepared to tell at the moment," replied George. Fred leaned back in his chair and winked at Harry from behind George.

"Oi, Jim, Tim. We want to talk to you." George motioned for the two brothers to come over to the table. "Fred and I…well, I guess we all would like to know what you told that bloke."

Jim and Tim came up to the table smiling. "Well, er, I don't know . . ." said Jim. The brothers looked at Hermione and Ginny.

"Oh, I got ya," said Fred, "you'd rather not bruise a lady's sensibilities. Is that what you're saying?" The Bennets nodded. That just made the boys that much more eager to hear what it was and they quickly got up and huddled over in a corner.

"Boys," Hermione said with exasperation. "Why don't they just come out with it, or not say it to begin with."

"It doesn't matter. Ron will tell me when he gets back. Being a little sister, I know a few things. He has to tell me." Hermione just grinned at Ginny's comment but was surprised at the outburst from the huddled group. Harry and Ron had dropped to the floor howling in laughter. Fred and George were clutching their sides while Jim and Tim looked smug.

The boys made their way back to the table, Ron was still clutching his side, Harry took off his glasses wiped his eyes and put them back on, Fred and George were ribbing each other.

"Okay Ron, I want to know."

"What makes you think I'm going to tell you?"

"Come here and I tell you why." Ginny whispered in Ron's ear.

"Oh." Ron's ears turned pink and he swore under his breath. As Ron whispered into Ginny's ear the Bennets took a step backward and looked around the room. Ginny's eyes got big, she started to cover her mouth but put her arms around her stomach instead, she snorted and laughed blithely. Finally catching her breath "Oooooh…I don't think I've ever heard it put that way." Jim and Tim looked relieved but suddenly took another step backward as Ginny whispered into Hermione's ear with much anticipation from the rest to see her reaction.

Hermione blushed. "T-that's rude. T-that's very rude. Besides, that's not physically possible anyway."

There were snorts, a 'What?', and Ginny covered her mouth in surprise.

"No, no. You don't understand Hermione." Ginny whispered in her ear again and Hermione turned a deeper shade of red.

Ginny giggled, "It's okay Hermione, you didn't grow up with five older brothers." Ginny patted Hermione on the back while Jim and Tim were trying to look innocent.

Hermione decided it was time to make her Prefect rounds. Her face still full of color she stood up, adjusted her Prefect badge and gave Jim and Tim a reproachful look before she left the common room, without a word. A round of snickers followed her departure as Jim and Tim returned to looking smug.

"I agree with Ginny mates. I've never heard it put quite that way. Where did you ever hear such a thing?" asked George.

"Ah, we have our source," replied Tim.

"And we would appreciate that particular insult not being spread around. We wouldn't want to tarnish our reputations or anything like that." Light laughter followed Jim's request along with some joking about reputations. Harry, Ron and Ginny assured Jim that they had no intention of repeating such an insult but Fred and George remained silent.

After a pleading look from Jim, Fred finally said, "Let's just say I reserve the right to repeat it where it's deserved." More laughter followed.

Ron suggested a game of wizarding chess to Harry but Harry reminded Ron about how little time they had to study with Quidditch, regular lessons - other lessons, and not to mention O.W.L.s at the end of the year. Ron reluctantly agreed but made Harry promise a game of wizard chess after a couple hours study.

Hermione returned from her rounds pleased to see Harry and Ron studying. She picked up a Bertie Bott's bean amongst the pile that was laying out, knowing that they didn't mind. Both boys looked up, waiting to hear the flavor.

"Mmmm, gingerbread."

"Wha'? How can she always be so lucky Harry?"

Harry laughed. "You're just sore because you got a rock flavored one while ago."

"Oh Harry, you're supposed to go see the Headmaster."

"Now?"

Hermione nodded. "The temporary password is 'jawbreaker'."

"What about our game Harry?"

"Maybe later, or tomorrow," Harry shrugged.

"Wizard chess?" Hermione asked with disdain. She thought that wizard chess was barbaric.

"Yeah, Harry said he'd play me a game after we studied a bit."

"I suppose…since you've been studying. I'll play you."

"Great ! A challenge." Ron looked at Harry, "Not that you're not, that is."

"No problem." Harry knew that he wasn't that good at chess and that Ron was exceptional.

Just as Harry stood up to leave Hermione asked, "So, when are you going to tell us what this is all about?"

"When I understand more about it myself, see you later."

"Come in Harry."

As usual, Harry didn't have to knock on Dumbledore's office door. The door opened, on its own, and Harry stepped in.

"I have to admit I've been looking forward to this," said Dumbledore. The door closed behind Harry and he felt himself scooting across the floor toward Dumbledore's desk as though he were being pulled by a rope, standing rigid on ice. "Have a chair." A chair slid up behind him as he came to a smooth stop in front of the desk. All this had been going on while the Headmaster was reading intently through notes and papers scattered all about his desk, peering through his half-moon glasses. Harry sat down and as Dumbledore looked up, all the papers and notes stacked up and put themselves away. A pot of hot tea and two cups came sailing through the air landing delicately upon the desk and began to pour. The pot paused in mid air over Harry's cup. "Would you like a cup Harry?"

"Yes, please." Harry was entranced and delighted to watch the Headmaster do all this magic without a wand. It made Harry almost giddy at the thought he might be able to do such things as well. They both sipped tea, both delighted in their own way, student and teacher.

"Let me start by telling you what I've learned in using my own wandless magic. It is a concentration in the calming of mind and emotions. Emotions are what make us human but the lack of control over emotions can lead people to do terrible things to one another, and to themselves.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you've found your wandless magic to work under certain conditions. Beyond panic, beyond fear, your wandless magic has worked for you. Take for example when you were tested with the Flamels help disguised as Hermione's parents. The other condition would likely be when you are calm and drained of emotion."

Harry thought about how he had made a letter from Sirius burst into flame without giving it much thought and nodded.

"Your goal is to not suppress emotions but to control and direct them where needed. Emotions are powerful tools to witches and wizards. To conjure a corporeal patronus a wizard or witch must concentrate on the happiest moment of their lives. But in order to do wandless magic Harry, you have to go a step further. Not only must you be able to concentrate on the happiest moment of your life you have to keep your wits about you and not let other emotions overcome the magic you are trying to do. Here, the best way to illustrate is to demonstrate." Dumbledore wadded up a piece of parchment and rolled it out onto his desk. He then waved his hand, "Wingardium Leviosa." The waded up parchment rolled half way down his desk and back. "Give it a try. Relax, and try not to be anxious."

Harry did as he was told. He took a deep breath and relaxed. He waved his hand and said "Wingardium Leviosa." The waded up parchment rolled down the desk and back. "Cool !" Harry exclaimed.

"Good heavens. The boy can do it too," said one of the pictures on the wall.

"What do you expect. It is Harry Potter after all," said another.

"Freaks, both of 'em, Dumbledore and Potter," said a third.

Dumbledore looked over his half-moon glasses at the portrait of the former Headmaster who had said the last comment. The others on the wall were either in silent agreement or shaking their heads in disapproval, but very interested in Dumbledore's reaction regardless. Without expression Dumbledore said, "That will be quite enough Detraneous. It is one thing to criticize a fellow Headmaster, it is entirely another matter to belittle a student. Another comment like that and you'll find yourself silenced for the rest of my tenure here at Hogwarts." A few "Here, here's" ensued from other portraits as others remained silent either in approval or disagreement. The plump round figure of Detraneous only glared back from his portrait without a word.

"I apologize for Detraneous, Harry. He was one of Hogwarts most biased and prejudice Headmasters. And as far as everyone here knowing about our special abilities, it is of no concern. None can say anything about what happens in the Headmaster's office. It's a magical oath woven into the very fabric of the canvas and oils of the paints. Nothing can be divulged. Again I apologize, but let us get back to the task at hand. Go ahead, try once more."

Harry waved his hand again. "Wingardium Leviosa." Nothing happened, his mouth dropped open, Harry was perplexed.

"Your first attempt was superb but did you by chance let some excitement overtake you on your second attempt?" Dumbledore asked knowingly. "Your goal is not to suppress that excitement but to manage it." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled. "Actually it is not necessary to say the words or have any hand movement to perform wandless magic, only think it."

The wad of parchment sprang to life jumping up in midair as it flattened itself out and then folded itself into a paper airplane that zoomed around their heads. Dumbledore grinned looking into Harry's eyes. "It is not even necessary for me to watch by eyesight. And the delight I feel at showing off takes a backseat to our conversation and my concentration to my paper airplane's aerobatics." After doing a few loop-de-loops the paper airplane glided smoothly to a landing on the desk.

Harry groaned, "This is going to be a lot of work. I think mastering frustration is going to be at the top of the list." They both laughed.

An hour and a half later Dumbledore called their lesson to an end. "That will be sufficient for the lesson this time Harry. Let's call it a night shall we. More tea before you leave?"

"Yes, thanks."

"I will recommend that you make it a habit that you appear to use your wand under all circumstances. Discretion is severely important."

A fluttering of wings and Fawkes landed on Harry's shoulder letting out a single beautiful note that made Harry feel warm inside. It always amazed Harry at how light Fawkes was for such a large bird.

"Ah, I see Fawkes wants to say hello. He seems particularly fond of you Harry. I don't believe I told you that he was involved in our efforts to revive Hermione. Though I'm not sure how or why, I'm fairly certain he played a large part in that success."

Fawkes dipped his head down low peering at Harry with a dark and benevolent eye. Harry petted Fawkes and thought, 'Fawkes, you are always there when I need help the most. I wonder if I'll ever be able to repay you.'