Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** I've introduced a couple of new characters here. I hope you find them humorous. And since this was written before the 5th book came out I took a wild guess for the DADA professor. I do hope I've made this off hand choice believable. I also want to give credit to Candice Tomale for helping write a portion of this chapter. It's the part where you want to break a pencil in two. ;) ***

After a while of more talking and laughing, the Grangers had to go home. Mr. and Mrs. Granger said their goodbyes and left the Burrow by Floo Powder.

"I guess I'll see you both in school then," Hermione said to Harry and Ron as she pulled them toward the Weasley chimney.

"Do you have to leave so soon?" Harry asked, rather disappointed.

"My parents are taking me shopping for clothes tomorrow, bright and early," Hermione explained.

"We could always go to Diagon Alley together, you know, so we could meet again before school started," Ron suggested.

"Sounds like a plan," she grinned. "I'll convince my parents later. Bye."

Harry was having a hard time thinking about whether or not to talk to Hermione about the kisses they had shared, at least before she left. 'I should. No, I shouldn't. No, you know you should. No, it's better left unsaid. Remember what Sirius said.'

Hermione took a handful of Floo powder and was about to throw it into the flames when Harry suddenly blurted out "Hermione, wait!"

She looked at him with surprise and something else. Ron looked confused, yet curious.

"What is it, Harry?"

Harry swallowed.

"Um, take care, okay? Ron and I would hate to have to save your life again," he said as his voice shook.

For a second, Harry thought Hermione looked disappointed, but she smiled and proved to him otherwise.

"I will, don't worry. See you both soon! And Happy belated Birthday, Harry!" She threw the powder into the fire that erupted into green flames and called out "Grangers" before being engulfed in them.

"Are you sure you're alright, mate?" said Ron.

"I'm sure. Wanna go for a round outside before turning in, Ron?" said Harry. Ron looked hopeful.

"Uh uh, Harry dear. I'm afraid you'd have to stay inside the house at night, till you get a little less pale," Mrs. Weasley said, having overheard the boys' conversation. Ginny was standing next to her mother and she nodded her head in agreement. "Sorry, dear."

"It's alright, Mrs. Weasley. `There's always Wizard's Chess, right, Ron?"

Mrs. Weasley smiled guiltily and went to the kitchen. Ginny stayed behind.

"Yeah. It's in my trunk upstairs. Come on, Harry," said Ron, making for the stairs.

"Thanks for the broach pin, Ginny. That was really sweet of you," he said, grinning, before following Ron and leaving a blushing Ginny.

The next few days were uneventful. Aside from the fun he had playing Quidditch with the younger Weasley brothers, Harry was still trying very hard to recover. It still felt different waking up every morning without Hermione by his side, but he told himself to get used to it. After all, he thought, it was just the side effects of performing the Breath of Life, wasn't it?

The arrival of their Hogwarts letters at breakfast, a week after Harry's surprise party, was more than welcome to Harry. It included the names of the books, potions and accessories each student must buy. There was also something else on the list.

"Dress robes???" Ron said, horror-stuck. "What in the world would we need them for this year? There isn't going to be another Triwizard Tournament, is there?"

"None that we know of, dear. I promise!" Mrs. Weasley added, seeing the suspicious look Ron had.

"Ron, you didn't read everything. It says Other formal clothes if one does not wish to wear Dress robes right under Dress robes for a formal occasion," George pointed out.

"Dumbledore must've gone softer, seeing how much pain and suffering I went through last year," said Ron indignantly. Ginny rolled her eyes. Everybody else, laughed.

"I have to get going now, children, Molly." Mr. Weasley said, standing up and finishing his coffee.

"So soon, Arthur? Surely the Ministry can go on without you for a little while longer?"

"It's best not to ask, Molly dear. The Minister is still pretty sore about the, uh, incident at the end of the school term," Mr. Weasley explained, taking extra care not to remind everybody of what happened. He kissed his wife and waved goodbye to his children and Harry, then, Disapparated.

"Oh, the Minister will get his, he will," Mrs. Weasley mumbled as she left the kitchen. She came back a few minutes later looking annoyed.

"What's wrong, mum?" Ginny asked, before putting some toast in her mouth.

"Those blasted gnomes are back again. Do me a favor, boys, and de-gnome the garden after breakfast, will you?"

Ron was going to argue, but George elbowed him.

The four boys stood up right after breakfast, and were headed for the door when Mrs. Weasley stopped them. Actually, she stopped Harry.

"Um, Dear, why don't you let Ron, Fred and George de-gnome the garden for me. You could stay in doors," she smiled kindly.

"I don't really mind, Mrs. Weasley. I think I have enough strength to de-gnome the garden."

"I'll tell you what; if you stay inside today, and you can prove you're healthy again, I promise to let you do anything you want tomorrow. But you've got to wait until then," Mrs. Weasley proposed.

Harry thought about it, and decided that the promise of a carefree tomorrow was going to be well worth the wait.

"Ah, you're lucky, Harry. You don't have to do manual labor today," Ron complained. He and his brothers went out the door as Harry went up to Ron's room. He planned on fixing his trunk since he had nothing else to do. Ginny met him at the door.

"You've got mail," she said cheerfully. "Hedwig's just arrived."

"Oh, thanks."

Harry proceeded to the room and found Hedwig perched comfortably on top on Ron's windowsill. She hooted warmly at him, and then flew away. She had put the parchment on Ron's bed. Harry took it and read.

Dear Harry and Ron,

I had just received my Hogwarts letter yesterday and thought you'd like to know that my parents agreed to let me go shopping with you two.

I'm really looking forward to school. I can't wait to start this year's Arithmancy! Did you see the Dress robes they told us to go buy? I don't know about you two, but I'm going to get something else that's formal. And don't you dare start with me about Viktor, Ron!

Anyway, I owled to let you both know. Tell me when we'll be meeting, as quickly as you can, so I can tell my parents. Oh yeah, I've been made Prefect! Oh, I'm so glad! I can't wait to do all my Prefect duties.

I hope to see you both soon!

Your friend forever,

Love,

Hermione O

Harry quickly went to his trunk and took out his parchment and quill, then began writing.

Dear Hermione,

Prefect, eh? You're not going to start reporting our late night walks to McGonagall, are you? Didn't think so. Congratulations, though. You've earned it.

I hope you're doing well. I'm getting better, I think. But Mrs. Weasley still refuses to treat me normally.

I'll have Ron ask her when we can meet. If all goes well, we can all meet at Diagon Alley in a week, if not sooner. I really need to talk to you about something. It's rather important.

See you soon!

Your dearest friend, O

Love,

Harry

After rereading his letter, Harry realized he had said too much by saying he really needed to talk to her. He immediately crumpled the parchment and threw it in the dustbin.

"Ron'll just have to do the replying," he thought to himself. He wiped sweat off his forehead with his right hand, and then suddenly remembered something. He looked at his right hand curiously.

He could visit Hermione right now, if he wanted to. He had the key to their fireplace imprinted in him. But should he use it? At once, Sirius' words echoed inside his head. 'Harry, the truest form of love is a choice, the freedom to choose.' Harry shook his head and abruptly stood up. The confusion of whether he had deep feelings for Hermione or that it was just some side effect was getting him. He wondered if the feelings he had for Hermione were really his 'choice'. He paced around Ron's room feeling helpless. Then, he heard a knock at the door.

"Oh hi, Ginny," he greeted her.

"They've finished de-gnoming the Garden and want you to come play Quidditch with them," she said, timidly entering the room and smiling.

"They have? They do? Okay, then. Let me get my Firebolt… Are you playing?"

"I can't. I have to help mom clean today. Have fun though!"

"Oh, too bad… I'll see you later, then," said Harry, and with Firebolt in hand, he walked out of the room. As he reached the bottom step of the stairs, Harry suddenly had the impulse to go back to Ron's room fast.

Acting on it, he went back up as fast as he could. He felt a surge of panic wash over him as he saw Ginny undo the crumpled letter he had written to Hermione. He held out his hand, ready to take the letter from her, when it suddenly burst into flames. Ginny shrieked and Harry couldn't believe his eyes.

"Ginny, are you alright?" he asked after he saw the burnt piece of paper turn into ashes and was slowly blown away by a passing wind.

"Yeah, just caught me by surprise, is all. What was that, though?"

"My guess is as good as yours, Ginny," said Harry.

The day went on fine afterwards. Harry had let Ron read Hermione's letter after they had finished playing Quidditch with Fred and George, and let him make the reply.

Dear Hermione,

I asked my mom when she'd bring us to Diagon Alley and she said it would be alright in a week. Dad had just asked for a Saturday off work and mom thought it best that he went with us.

Prefect? You? We REALLY didn't expect that. Not at all! Ha! But congratulations anyway. You'd want to spend your ride to Hogwarts in the Prefect's car now, right? And blimey! You get to use the Prefect's bathroom!

Harry and I saw that 'Dress Robes' nonsense. I'll tell ya, I'm not wearing another one of those things if my life depended on it! I don't know about Harry.

We'll see you in a week then. Tell us if we need to pick you up. Harry says to take care. I agree.

Your friends,

Ron and Harry

Ron struggled to get the letter tied to Pigwidgeon's leg. He flew excitedly around the room until he caught him. Ron casually chucked the tiny bird out the window, and after doing a couple of turns, and flew into the night sky.

They got Hermione's reply the day after.

Dear guys,

My parents, after a lot of persuasion and begging, said I could come to Diagon Alley by myself. And no, you don't have to pick me up. I'll just come to the Leaky Cauldron by myself and meet you two there. But please be there before I do. I don't want to be there all alone.

Anyway, I'll be there at 1pm Saturday, August 26.

See you two then!

And I hope you're both okay, too. I've been getting a lot better, actually.

Your friend,

Hermione

The week went by quickly. Harry didn't see anything else catch on fire after his letter, and Ron was getting better at Quidditch. Harry was getting better, too, both at Quidditch and in health.

"C'mon, Harry. Time to get up," Ron said, shaking him awake from his dreamless sleep.

"What time is it?" Harry yawned.

"Noon. We should get ready, fast, or Hermione will be alone in the Leaky Cauldron," replied Ron.

The thought of Hermione being alone got Harry up. It also made him get dressed quickly and wolf his 'brunch' down.

He and the Weasleys were ready to leave forty-five minutes later. One by one, they all took some Floo Powder, said "Leaky Cauldron" and disappeared in the green flames.

"Ron, you and Harry wait for Hermione and we'll meet you at Flourish and Blotts," Mrs. Weasley instructed him. "She'll be here soon, won't she?"

"Yeah, mum. Remember, DON'T buy me dress robes. I'll wear something else. Harry, too."

"Yes, Ron. You've told me fifteen times already," said Mrs. Weasley, Fred and George snickered. They didn't mind dress robes. Neither did Ginny.

The Weasleys left as Harry and Ron got a table closest to the fireplace.

"What do you think we'll need dress robes for?" Harry asked as they sat down.

"I dunno. Probably another dance," said Ron, shuddering. "If it is, we should get an early start and ask girls right away!" he continued, laughing.

"Who would you ask?"

"Eh, I'll probably ask Hermione right away," Ron said, his ears turning pink. "Because, you know, I don't want to end up like last year…"

Harry forced himself to laugh.

"Who would you ask, Harry?"

"To be honest, Ron, I was planning on asking-"

"Hey! I'm so glad you guys aren't late," Hermione said, taking a seat in between Harry and Ron who were both smiling. "My parents wouldn't let me out without telling me the usual- Don't stray too far from the Weasleys, dear. Don't go anywhere alone. Don't talk to strangers," she sighed. "So, what shall we do first?"

" 'We' are going to have some new flavored butterbeer before we catch up with my parents. I'll just go get 'em, you two stay here," said Ron, standing up.

Harry and Hermione gave Ron some wizard money and he left.

"How are you doing so far, Harry?" Hermione asked. Harry noticed that quite a lot of eyes were staring at Hermione and him, almost in disbelief. He shook his head lightly and answered.

"I'm great. You?"

"I'm okay. My scar's all healed up now. But it's still a bit sensitive."

"You haven't, uh, had any encounters with anything that would, uh, make the color of your eyes change, have you?" Harry asked, suddenly remembering their brief encounter with Peeves.

"I don't think so. But I'm not supposed to feel anything strange when it happens, right? Hopefully, though, no," she answered.

Harry nodded. He was listening to Hermione, but thinking something else. No. She's your friend. Side effect. Remember, 'side effect'. Nothing more.

"What's wrong, Harry? You look like you've got a lot on your mind," she said. She looked occupied with thoughts, too, but hid them well.

Unable to contain himself, Harry said, "Herm, can you tell me about the Ast-," when Ron arrived with butterbeer. He handed them to Harry and Hermione.

"Oh thanks, Ron," Hermione said, grinning at him. "Now what was it you were saying, Harry? Tell me about what?'

"Your, uh, duties as a Prefect," Harry lied.

"Oh," she said, looking a bit disappointed.

"Yeah, Hermione, tell us about your-," Ron began, when his face look a bit green. "Aw, yuck! How disgusting! There's a fly in my drink!"

"There is? You should go change it. They won't charge you," Hermione suggested. Harry nodded in agreement.

"Okay, I'll be right back," said Ron, standing up and heading for Tom the Inn Keeper.

When Ron was out of earshot, Harry had decided to ignore his mind telling him 'not to' and go ahead and tell her. Tell Hermione they needed to talk. She was slowly drinking her butterbeer when Harry chose to speak.

"Herm, we need to-"

Before he could finish the sentence, however, Hermione choked on the butterbeer and went into a coughing fit. Harry quickly went to her aid and patted her continuously on her back. She stopped after a while.

"Sorry. What," Hermione cleared her throat, "were you saying, Harry?"

"That we need to-"

"Back," said Ron, appearing from behind them.

"-get going," Harry continued. He couldn't bring himself to tell her they needed to talk with Ron there. "C'mon."

"Can we finish our drinks first, smart one?" Ron asked, grinning.

"Oh yes. Yes, of course," Harry replied, sipping some more from his glass of butterbeer, which was still half full.

After their drink, Harry, Ron and Hermione all went to Gringotts, the wizard bank. Harry needed to get some wizard money, and Hermione needed to exchange her Muggle money for some wizard ones. Ron waited awkwardly for them.

Soon, the three of them were at Flourish and Blotts. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny were the only Weasleys in sight.

"Ah, Hermione, good to see you, dear," Mrs. Weasley said warmly. "Go get your books and I'll take them to the counter. You, too, boys," she added to Harry and Ron.

They did as they were told and gave their unpurchased books to Mrs. Weasley. Harry and Hermione gave her some silver.

"Hey Ginny, where are Dad, Fred and George?" asked Ron.

"Dad's getting something for work. Fred and George just left a few minutes ago. I don't know where they went," she replied.

Harry noticed that there were eyes staring at Hermione and him, in disbelief, again. But these were different people, not the ones from the Leaky Cauldron.

"Ginny, are you wearing dress robes on that formal event?" Hermione asked, ignoring the eyes.

"I am, actually. I liked it last year, and I don't want to wear Muggle formal clothes. What about you?"

"I may wear something else and not dress robes. That is, of course, considering I get asked. I think it will be another dance."

Ron's ears went pink.

"What about you, Harry?" Hermione asked, looking a little interested.

"We know what he's not wearing. Dress robes!" Ron said, answering for him. He grinned and said, "But what I really want to know is, who he would ask."

Ginny looked utterly interested in his answer, and though Hermione was having a lot of success in hiding it, she, too, was utterly interested.

"I, uh, would ask, uh…" Harry stuttered, trying to think of another girl's name that wasn't Hermione.

"Off we go, children. It's getting crowded in here," said Mrs. Weasley, carrying six sets of Hogwarts books.

Harry and Ron offered to help her, and she was only too happy to accept.

Harry, Hermione and the Weasleys all met back in the Leaky Cauldron. Ginny had gotten her dress robe, and though second-hand, it looked charming. Fred and George didn't need to get dress robes. They decided at the last minute that they would wear their old ones, or something else that's formal. Mr. Weasley came back with a computer mouse, chuckling to himself.

"I didn't know Muggle mice were plastic while ours are mammals," he said, still chuckling. Harry and Hermione exchanged amused looks, but kept quiet.

The Weasleys let Hermione use the fireplace first. She said goodbye to everyone, hugging only Harry and Ron. Again, Ron's ears turned pink.

'Grangers,' she said after throwing Floo Powder into the fire. She walked into the green flames and was gone.

One by one, Harry and the Weasleys all went back to the Burrow, everyone smiling but Harry. Fortunately, no one noticed. And he wanted it to stay that way.

September 1 was the day they all took the Hogwarts Express to school and it came all too quickly for Harry. He still hadn't come to terms with talking to Hermione. Part of him knew that he would have to. It was only fair, and he hadn't yet confirmed whether she had the same feelings for him, that he had for her. They had never talked about it. The two times they had kissed haunted his memory. He still longed for the touch of her hand. But were his feelings his own? It had been almost a week since they had all gone to Diagon Alley and neither had owled the other. Harry was beginning to feel guilty. 'When' to talk to her, was turning into the big dilemma. His mental debate was interrupted.

"You'll all have to hurry up, children. We can't be stuck in traffic or we might miss the Hogwarts Express!" Mrs. Weasley said restlessly as everybody ate their breakfast.

"Now, now, Molly. It'll be alright. We've been later before. Why, in Ron's second year, we were later than this," said Mr. Weasley calmly.

"Yes, Arthur. Tell me, how did THAT turn out?" Mrs. Weasley snapped.

Because Mr. Weasley was unable to get Ministry cars, Mrs. Weasley was forced to call two Muggle taxis again in the village Post Office.

Mrs. Weasley and Ginny took the first taxi, with one of the trunks inside the car, Mr. Weasley and the boys to the other taxi. They arrived at King's Cross Station a while later and hurried to unload the trunks. Harry helped Mr. Weasley pay the taxi drivers, and before long, everybody was on their way to Platform 9 ¾.

They had ten minutes to spare, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were now in a brighter mood.

"You take care and behave, alright Fred? George?"

"Why, mum! I'm appalled that you would even consider your best behaved sons of such… such nonsense!" said Fred.

"We will take offense!" said George.

"Knock it off, you two," said Mrs. Weasley.

"Okay," said the twins in unison, grinning. They kissed their mother goodbye and waved at their father.

The platform was the usual hustle and bustle of students, trunks and their animals, allowed by the school. Parents were giving last minute instructions and saying their goodbyes. Harry was looking for a particular curly haired girl.

"Looking for someone in particular Harry?"

Harry spun around in surprise and looked into her eyes. "You, of course." He embraced her and for the briefest of moments he felt it all over again. Her touch, the smell of her hair, the urge to … kiss, was almost overpowering. He thought he could see the same in her eyes as well. Then the words Sirius told him came rushing back as he became aware of his surroundings and he pulled away. Hermione's radiant smile faded to an almost hurt questioning look, but she tucked it away quickly. The change on her face tugged at his heart. "Hermione, we really-"

"Oi, Hermione! There you are. Just like old times eh? We'd better find a compartment."

Harry and Ron commented on Hermione's Prefect badge as they found an empty compartment. She was proud that she had been selected and flattered at their compliments. They carried on about how she deserved it and that it was obvious she would be a Prefect this year.

"Could you two watch Crookshanks while I go up to the Prefects car for instructions on my duties?"

"Sure Hermione. You're going to come back and spend the rest of the trip with us right?" asked Harry. Now that he had seen her again he didn't want her to spend the entire trip in the Prefect's car.

"Yeah, you don't want to spend the whole trip riding with a bunch of stuck ups would ya?" Ron immediately regretted having said that. Hermione was giving him a severe look and Harry was eyeing him like 'I can't believe you said that'. "Well, you know what I mean. The way Percy was and all."

"Not every Prefect is stuck up Ron. Just because your brother was a little over zealous is no reason to lump all Prefects into the same category," Hermione quipped. "The other Prefect from Gryffindor this year is Carl Easton and is extraordinarily nice." Still giving him a dismayed look she said, "I'll be back shortly. Hopefully I won't be stuck up from my brief exposure in the Prefects car." After Hermione had left Harry was shaking his head at Ron.

"I guess I stuck my foot in my mouth."

"I guess you did," agreed Harry. Harry could see Ron regretted his remark about Prefects and changed the subject. "Ron, I was thinking. If there really is going to be a Ball, or formal occasion this year we've got a problem."

Ron had a sudden look of panic and agreed, "Yeah, neither one of us knows how to dance." Any thoughts of solutions on the matter were lost as a steady stream of friends came by. They talked about upcoming classes, the possibilities of who would be teaching the Defense Against the Dark Arts class, the O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels) tests taken at the end of the year. Hermione came back and sat down beside Harry. Fred and George came by with what remained of the Gryffindor Quidditch team, Alicia, Angelina, and Katie. Fred and George had squeezed in on either side of Ron while Katie had squeezed in beside Hermione. Hermione had Crookshanks in his basket on her lap and the crowding was pushing her fairly snug against Harry. Harry and Hermione didn't seem to mind that it was a little uncomfortable. Alicia and Angelina were crowded around the door. The conversation was vigorous about the teams chances and the need to take a vote on who the next captain would be. There was also discussion about tryouts of Keeper since Oliver Wood had graduated. It was obvious they needed reserve team as all the players but Harry would be graduating this year. It was decided that they would meet in the common room Saturday afternoon, the next day, to take a vote on Captain and determine when to start tryouts. The seventh years cleared out giving Hermione room to put Crookshanks' basket down.

"You are going to tryout for Keeper aren't you Ron?" Harry asked.

Ron skewed up his face. "Uh, yeah. I had thought about it. But without a decent broom…" Ron trailed off.

"Oh, come off it Ron. Keeper doesn't need the fastest broom. Keeper just needs a broom that's agile and quick. You and I can sort through the school brooms and find the best one. Professor McGonagall will surely let us reserve it for the next Keeper. You know I'm right."

"You've got to try Ron. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't," Hermione pleaded.

Ron grinned broadly. "Thanks guys. I had already made up my mind I was going to try, but I really needed the pep talk. When do you think we can sort through the brooms Harry? The sooner the better. I don't want the leftovers after the other Houses have picked them over."

"Ah, good point. Hmmm. If you're up to it after the feast." Harry's eyes glinted mischievously. "I could put my father's cloak to use and - "

"La la la la, I can't listen to any of this. La la la la." Hermione had put her hands over her hears and was trying not to listen. Harry and Ron were highly amused.

Harry laughed as he pulled her hands down from her hears. "I'm so sorry Hermione. I mean Miss Prefect. Ron and I will have to be careful what we plan around your sensitive ears."

"Woo, oh this is sad," laughed Ron. "After all we've been through. I guess we'll have to keep secrets from our best friend eh Harry?"

"Looks like it," said Harry with a teasing tone.

"Now you two know I cannot be in on any rule breaking now that I'm Prefect." She looked indignantly from one to the other.

Harry tilted his head down and looked up at her with pleading, woebegone eyes and suppressing a grin. "You don't have to break the rules. Maybe…bend them…a little."

Ron tried to copy Harry's demeanor adding in, "Maybe…bend them…a lot."

Those green eyes of Harry's were practically melting her from the inside out. "Oh Merlin. Stop it. Both of you." She let out a sigh. "Please try not to get caught…okay?"

"Perish the thought," said Harry.

"Ditto," said Ron. All of them breaking into smiles chuckling.

Two young boys were walking quickly down the corridor outside their compartment when they came to a sudden stop and backed up. Both had brown hair, but one had blue eyes and the other had brown eyes. It was obvious they were brothers in how similar they looked.

The blue eyed one looked at Ron. "Say, are you a Weasley? Fred or George perhaps?"

"I'm a Weasley, but I'm Ron, Fred and George are my brothers, they're twins."

"Really? Swell. Maybe you can help us find them. We've found this trick glass they've bewitched. It's supposed to be a genuine Weasley's Wizard Wheezes item." The brown eyed brother held up a glass with a look of pride and wonder. Harry noticed that this one's face was all wet.

"Ah, how does it work?" asked Harry.

"I'm sure that Ron here already knows," said the blue eyed brother.

"Actually I don't. Fred and George are very secretive about their projects because our mum doesn't approve."

"What?" "Doesn't approve?" The boys said in disbelief.

The blue eyed brother looked around the compartment. "Oh, I'm sorry. I'm Jim Bennet and this is my brother Tim. We're transfers from Salem's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry in America. We're originally from South Wales it's just that dad had a job in America these past two years. I'm the oldest so the easiest way to remember our names is to recall that 'J' comes before the letter 'T'. I have no idea why our mum named us with such similar names but it always confuses people. And if that doesn't help just remember that I'm the handsome one and he's the ugly one."

"Hey! You're the ugly one."

"Don't pay any attention to Tim he always gets these things confused. It's really a shame I have to clam him as my brother. I guess I have to claim him, least ways mum says I have to."

"You don't have to claim me. I'm not necessarily going to claim you either. I don't care what mum says. And it wouldn't be nearly so confusing if we weren't both third years."

"How's that possible? I haven't heard of brothers or sisters being in the same year unless they're twins," said Ron.

"Twins! No way," exclaimed Tim.

"God forbid," said Jim. "My birthday is in September and Tim's is in June. So, yeah it's possible. Not nice. But possible," he said grinning.

Hermione snorted involuntarily quickly covering her mouth as Ron and Harry raised eyebrows. Harry put out his hand. "I'm Harry Potter."

Both boy's eyes got big as they glanced to Harry's forehead. Jim shook Harry's hand enthusiastically. Tim stuck out his hand and shook Harry's hand saying, "Wow."

Jim elbowed him, "He probably gets enough of that. Give him a break."

Harry continued the introductions motioning toward Hermione. "And this is Hermione Granger."

If the Bennet brothers had looked surprised before, they looked shocked now. Jim took a couple of steps into the compartment and shook Hermione's hand slowly, a look of complete disbelief on his face. He then stepped back to let Tim around him. Tim shook her hand but didn't let go. With the index finger from his other hand he poked her hand like he was trying to figure out if she was real or fake.

Jim slapped the back of his head. "You dolt. Of course she's alive. If she were a ghost you wouldn't be able to shake her hand now would you?"

Tim winced letting go of her hand and said, "Sorry."

"And Ron's name you already know," Harry said completing introductions.

The brother's shook hands with Ron as though he were related to somebody famous. Jim said, "So you really don't know how this glass works?" Ron shook his head. Looking delighted Jim continued as Tim held up the glass. "You see that the glass looks like it's half full of water. Now pay particular attention to what happens as Tim attempts to take a drink. The water seems to disappear. As he puts the glass upright it fills back up. To prove that there really is water in the glass Tim will stick his finger in the glass." Tim sticks his finger in the glass and pulls it back up, noticeably several drops of water drip off the end of his finger. "Now Tim and I gave this some thought and decided we would put in a straw so we wouldn't have to tip the glass. Go ahead Tim put in the straw and try to take a drink." Tim puts in a straw and as soon as he gets his mouth close to it the straw it suddenly starts shooting water all over his face. He tries it again and it does the same thing. Both brothers were laughing hysterically. It was contagious as everyone in the compartment was laughing as well. "Greatest thing I've ever seen. Ron where did you say your brothers might be?"

"Probably up toward the front of the train toward the Prefects car. My brothers are seventh years by the way. And we're fifth years."

"Excellent. Well, we'll be off. Tim let me try that straw."

"No way, you're too ugly."

"Ah contraire, you're the one that's ugly. Now let me have a go at it."

Hermione started giggling she couldn't help it, the Bennet brothers bantering was really funny. "You know, neither of you is ugly. In fact neither of you is bad looking. You both look a lot alike."

Jim and Tim both had pained looks on their faces, like they had both been handed a lump of dragon dung. They turned and looked at each other. "Oh, that's a terrible thing to say," said Jim. "Tha- That I look like him," pointing at his brother.

Tim had cupped his hand over his eyes like he was trying to shield them from something awful. "Ewwww that's horrible. I think I feel sick. Come on Jim, there's no reason to stand here and be insulted."

"You're right. Let's go find Fred and George Weasley and see what else they've got." The two brothers gave their audience simultaneous smirks and took off down the corridor. Their voices fading away with more banter, "You're ugly." "No, you're ugly." "Then that means you're uglier." "No, you're ugliest." "No, uncle Fuzzy is ugliest." "Okay, okay, I agree. Uncle Fuzzy is ugliest. No need to get vicious." ……

Harry, Hermione, and Ron looked at each other and burst out laughing. "Whoa, I wonder which house they'll be sorted into. Those two are a riot," said Ron.

"I don't know, but if they can fly I hope they get sorted into Gryffindor," chuckled Harry.

Before Hermione could comment an all too familiar voice was heard in the corridor. "That must be Weasley and Potter from the sound of it. Must have found your way home eh Potter? Too bad about your know it all friend the filthy little mu-." Draco Malfoy flanked by his usual two goons, Crabbe and Goyle, had evidently heard Harry and Ron's voices but Draco was at a complete loss for words when he saw Hermione. His usual sneer was replaced by a look of bewilderment. Crabbe and Goyle just looked confused as was there usual state.

"You were saying something Draco?" Hermione inquired haughtily. She knew he had thought she was dead.

Draco didn't say another word. He just turned around and left with his two confused lackeys in tow.

"Malfoy, at a loss for words. Heh, you've made my day Hermione," said a smug looking Ron.

"I don't mind a speechless Draco, but I've noticed people staring at me ever since we went to Diagon Alley. And the whole Prefect car went silent when I stepped through the door. It's a bit unsettling."

"Now you know kind of how I feel," said Harry looking at her with emerald green eyes that made her feel week. She looked into his eyes and could see empathy, understanding. Sitting across from them Ron studied his two friends wondering what it was like to have so much attention, not just from friends but from people you don't even know.

The trip seemed to go by fast and about thirty minutes before they were to arrive at Hogsmeade Hermione stood up closing a book. "Harry, could you and Ron watch after Crookshanks again? I need to go to the Prefects car to check on any last minute instructions. If you two could hold a carriage for me I'll join you for the ride to Hogwarts." Harry and Ron said it would be no problem.

Harry and Ron changed into their school uniforms as soon as Hermione left. She had only been gone a few minutes when Harry started shifting around uncomfortably and absentmindedly rubbed his right shoulder. Harry looked at Ron and Ron looked at Harry. "Ron, do you get the feeling something is wrong?"

"Yeah, weird."

"How about a quick stroll down the train."

They hadn't gone very far when they could see there was a girl with bushy hair sitting on the floor leaning against the wall in the corridor. "Hermione! Are you alright?" Harry and Ron came running up to her. She had tears in her eyes and was holding her shoulder.

"Yeah," she said with a disgusted tone. "I tripped over my own two feet and wrenched my shoulder." The boys helped her up. "Thanks. Harry could you reach into my pocket and pull out my arm sling. I'm sorry, the other pocket. Yeah, that's it. Thanks." Harry unfolded it and lifted it over her head gently pulling back her soft hair. Ron helped get her arm in the sling and pulled out a kerchief. Hermione dried her eyes. "Thanks again. Seems like you two are always coming to my rescue. How did you know?" They both shrugged.

"Do try to be careful Herm. Ron and I will watch after Crookshanks and hold a carriage for you."

Just then a familiar voice rang out, "Hermione!" It was Neville Longbottom, he looked shaken. "Y-you're alive."

Hermione gave him a warm smile, "Yeah, last time I checked."

Neville looked at her arm. "Are you okay?" Hermione nodded. "I am so glad to see you." He was so overcome that he gave her a hug, being careful of her arm. He blushed slightly afterward; he was usually not so bold.

"That's sweet Neville. Thanks. I had best be off. I've got Prefect duties. Why don't you join us in the carriage ride to Hogwarts. Harry and Ron are going to hold a carriage for us," she said walking toward the front of the train.

"Merlin! It's good to see you guys. I thought Hermione was dead and you were missing Harry. I've been depressed this whole trip and now I couldn't be happier."

"Come back with us Neville," said Ron. "Do we have a story to tell ya."

The train had pulled into Hogsmeade Station and all the students were disembarking. Hermione was among the Prefects answering questions and directing apprehensive and nervous looking first years to go with Hagrid to the lake. It was a warm day with the promise of a cool evening. There was a narrow dark band of clouds to the south, only a reminder of the brief rain they had traveled through on there way to the school. Hermione's shoulder was sore again after wrenching it on the train and she didn't dare take off her arm sling for fear she would hurt it again in the crowd, even if it was uncomfortably warm.

Hagrid's deep resonating voice could be heard above all the commotion. "Firs' years! Firs' years over here! C'mon, follow me!" He paused when he saw Hermione, her arm in a sling. "Aw' right there Hermione?" She nodded. "Prefect, ah couldn't be prouder, unless, o' course, Harry was made Prefect as well. Maybe next year." Hagrid winked and went back to rounding up the first years.

About a half dozen fist years had gathered around her. A girl amongst them ventured forward. "That big man called you Hermione. Are you Hermione Granger?"

"Yes," she replied eyeing them curiously.

There were sudden gasps as the small crowd grew and her name rippled through the crowd repeating 'Hermione Granger'. The same first year spoke again, "I, uh, we…heard that you were dead."

Hermione smiled. "I suppose you could say I was as close to being dead as any one could be. But I'm okay now."

"B-but how?"

Hermione looked out over the growing crowd of first years, her smile never wavered but her eyes looked into the distance dreamily. "I don't really remember how. But Harry Potter saved my life…I'm told he did it with a kiss." There were "ooo'" and "ahhs" with a few "wows". Hermione attention came back to the task at hand. "Come on, move along. You all need to go with Hagrid down to the lake." Hermione spied the Bennet brothers. "Jim, Tim, you need to go with the first years."

"What? You're kidding. Can't we be exempt?" came their replies.

"No, no, you don't understand. It's tradition. Trust me. It'll be an experience you'll remember the rest of your lives." The brothers came closer looking like they weren't quite sure whether to believe her or not. "I'm telling you the truth." Then in a lower tone, "Besides, you see how scared some of them are? You'd be doing me and the school a favor by helping watch over them."

The brothers each gave her a knowing wink. "Come on, you all heard Prefect Granger. Let's go." They instinctively zeroed in on the most terrified first years giving reassurance and encouragement, drumming up excitement for the upcoming adventure.

"Hey Potter, still claiming that He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named has risen? Better get your head examined then." Draco's irritating voice drifted over the crowd. A crowd that came to an abrupt halt at the mere mention of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, nervous and sometimes frightened looks were cast about. Harry, with Crookshanks basket in hand, Ron and Neville were making their way to finding a horseless carriage to hold. Eyes were upon them wondering what would happen next.

Ron swore. "I knew it wouldn't last. Seems he's recovered from seeing Hermione alive. Too bad, I liked him better when he couldn't find anything to say."

"I wonder what he's getting at." Harry thought out loud.

"I dunno, but I'd like to shut his mouth for him."

Harry and Ron both looked at Neville in surprise.

"Easy there tiger, I'm sure Draco will eventually get what's coming to him," said Ron patting Neville on the back.

"That may be, but I'd like to be there when it happens."

Harry wasn't sure what Draco was up to. He and Harry both knew that Voldemort was back. Yet here he was denying it in public. Harry ventured a retort by yelling back, "If you're so sure Voldemort's not back then why are you afraid to say his name?" There were suddenly gasps and cries at the mention of Voldemort's name, a fourth year girl even fainted, Ron winced and Neville turned pale. Harry saw Draco step up into a carriage and give a sneer in Harry's direction before disappearing inside of a carriage that took off toward the school.

"Aw Harry, I really wish you wouldn't say his name," whispered Neville.

A few minutes later Hermione joined them. Still wearing an arm sling the boys helped her up into the carriage.

As soon as they were seated in the Great Hall Hermione said, "That must be the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher between Dumbledore and Hagrid."

Harry looked and he couldn't help but think that he knew this elderly woman with kind grey-blue eyes. She was wearing a light grey, robe and pointed hat, trimmed in silver. Harry was glad that Hagrid would be back for the school year. He was looking forward to spending some time with Hagrid.

Hermione noticed Harry looking intently at the new teacher. "Is anything wrong Harry?"

"Ah, no. I just had the strangest idea that I know her from some where."

"I'll bet she knows you Harry," said Ron.

"How's that?"

"Well, everybody knows Harry Potter," replied Ron grinning and nudging him with an elbow.

"Yeah," Harry replied sarcastically as Hermione rolled her eyes at Ron.

The sorting went as it always did with students being sorting into the various houses, Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin. The Bennet brothers stood a good head above the rest. Harry was interested to see where they would be sorted.

It didn't take long before Professor McGonagall called out, "Bennet, Jim." Jim strode up and put on the sorting hat with relative confidence. It looked like Jim was saying something while the old hat was on his head. Harry wondered what he might be saying, remembering his own experience with a shudder. If the old hat could show expression Harry was almost sure it looked upset. Suddenly Jim straightened with a look of panic on his face. The hat seemed to chuckle and shouted, "Gryffindor!" Jim jumped off the stool placing the hat on it and took off for the applauding Gryffindor table. Jim sat down with some other third years acknowledging their congratulations but ignoring their inquiries as to what just occurred with the hat. Professor McGonagall called out, "Bennet, Tim." Tim eyed the hat suspiciously and put it on. It looked as though the hat was ready for him as Tim straightened with the same look of panic and the hat shouted, "Gryffindor!" Tim, like his brother, seemed more than glad to be rid of the hat and hurried to the Gryffindor table sitting down next to his brother. There was an immediate discussion between them as they took turns shaking their heads. Nobody seemed to be able to get out of them what had happened during the sorting.

At one point during the sorting as the different tables applauded and welcomed a new member to there house Harry spied Cho at the Ravenclaw table but she quickly looked away when she saw him. Harry gave away no visible reaction but his heart sank. He couldn't blame her if she had hard feelings toward him for Cedric's death. He knew it wasn't his fault, but she had been Cedric's girlfriend and she hadn't been there to see it happen. Harry's thoughts about Cho and Cedric's death were washed away as Professor Dumbledore gave his usual welcome speech and then introduced the new teacher. "I' am pleased to announce our new teacher of Defense Against the Dark Arts, Professor Figg."

Everyone stood in applause except Harry; he stood there with his mouth open. Hermione was clapping and noticed that Harry wasn't. She nudged him. Harry clapped slowly. They sat down as Dumbledore continued. "I would also like to make mention of a particular new Prefect, Miss Hermione Granger." Once again there were gasps and whispers rounding the Great Hall. "Contrary to what you may have heard or read she is very much alive." Hermione was turning slightly pink from the unexpected attention. Dumbledore continued, "Over the summer she was attacked and was near death. Her life was saved through the courageous efforts of Mr. Harry Potter and Mr. Ronald Weasley. Her life was saved through the use of a very old and dangerous spell called 'The Breath of Life'. The reason I have mentioned this is because of an unknown side effect. Miss Granger's eyes will from time to time turn completely grey in color. If you happen to witness this change do not be alarmed it is quite harmless and is not contagious." After that Dumbledore gave his closing remarks and raised his hands together as the tables filled with food and the feast began.

"Harry," Hermione said with a note of exasperation. "Are you going to eat, or sit there with a dumb look on your face? What's wrong with you anyway?"

"That's Mrs. Figg, my neighbor, back in Little Surrey. She lives just a couple of streets over."

"Are you daft Harry? No witch is going to live in a muggle neighborhood," said Ron with his mouth half full of juicy honey cured ham.

"I'm telling you Ron, that's Arabella Fig. The mad old lady that used to baby sit me. I've known her; as far back as I can remember her house was always full of cats. She, she just can't be a witch. It's unbelievable."

"That's really odd Harry, but I'm sure things will make sense latter. Now eat something before Ron eats it all." Ron chuckled with his mouth full of food and his plate piled high.

Harry decided Hermione was right and dug in. He noticed that Hermione winced occasionally while eating. "How's the shoulder?"

"Better, but I think I'll stop by and have Madam Pomfrey check it after I help get the first years up to the common Room. You two can manage to stay out of trouble till I get back?"

"Us? Trouble? Why Prefect Granger I'm hurt. But I really think we will be the least of your troubles. I suspect the Bennet brothers will be much higher on your list of concerns," said Harry.

"Oh, yeah. You could have a point there." Hermione looked down the table eyeing Jim and Tim suspiciously. Harry and Ron both knew it was easier to get away with something if everyone's attention was focused somewhere else. They still had a school broom to pick out.