Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

Harry had asked more than just Hermione to hear what he had to say. He had also asked Ron, Tadra and Ginny to meet him in his room at the Leaky. It was still early evening and Mrs. Weasley was waiting at a table in the dining area, anxious to return to headquarters with Ron and Ginny. She wouldn't allow them to return by themselves and wasn't quite ready to let them spend an overnighter with Fred and George.

Harry cast a concealment spell on the room and started to pace in front of them, but decided to sit in a chair across from Ron as the three girls sat on the bed with Hermione in the middle.

"Maybe I can save you some trouble mate. This is about you and Hermione right? I don't know why you have to be so dramatic about it. You could have just told me. Although it seems you've already told everyone but me. How long has this been going on anyway?" Ron asked trying to hide the hurt at not being completely trusted.

Harry had been so consumed with how to tell everyone about the prophesy, and how they might react to the information, that Ron's statement caught him at a complete loss for words and he only stared.

"Ron I thought we'd been through all this. He didn't tell me. It's as plain as the nose on your face. Anyone could tell. Especially after that ceremony under the Sphinx. The two of them haven't told anyone." Ginny turned and looked at Tadra. "Er, as far as I know."

Tadra answered only with a smile.

"That was just a ceremony. It was a symbolic, er, ah, gesture. I didn't take it as something more at the time.

"For Merlin's sake Ron," Ginny said exasperated.

"Hey, maybe I just don't like the idea of having been wrong all this time. It's not like they were snogging all last year or anything like that."

Harry and Hermione blushed and Ron looked at each of them in dismay.

"Oh for the . . . All last year? I - I feel used. You should have never let me take her to the dance mate. And you shouldn't have said yes Hermione."

"We were wrong to do that mate. But at the time it seemed like we had a reason."

"We just weren't sure Ron. We were told there could be some residual effect from the Breath of Life. But in retrospect we were obviously wrong. I'm sorry."

"I'm sorry too."

Ron shook his head, gave a sigh, and rolled his eyes at the ceiling. Hermione stood up and approached him, her eyes becoming bright.

"I was worried it might do something to our friendship. We both were. And I -"
"Worry too much? Yeah, I think you both do," Ron smiled warmly and thought to himself. 'There's no use losing my best friends over something I've been too thick to admit. Ginny argued with me all last week and she was right even though I could hardly stand to admit it. I've always felt like I've been standing in Harry's shadow. I just wanted to be better at something than Harry. In the back of my mind I wanted Hermione to like me better than Harry. I didn't consider what Hermione might want, or what would make my two best friends happy.'

"Oh Ron."

Hermione practically lunged at Ron making him spring to his feet and brace himself. She hugged him tightly. Harry had stood as well and Ron put out a free hand to Harry. Harry shook it enthusiastically, laughed, and joined the hug.

"Thank Merlin that's over," Ginny said with a bittersweet smile.

Ron frowned at Ginny after Hermione and Harry let him go.

"Like you had no trouble with it either?"

"Oh okay, I had a bit of trouble with it. It's just a matter of growing up."

"Even after what took place at the oasis you still refused to see, my friend? You are indeed a very stubborn individual Ron. Perhaps that same stubbornness is what makes you such a loyal friend."

A rebuke and a compliment wrapped into one, that was Tadra's style. She had a sharp mind and was extremely beautiful besides. Not to mention a very good instructor in the art of kissing. Ron appreciated the compliment and knew he deserved the other.

"Exactly what did happen at the oasis?" Ginny asked with interest.

A chorus of "Nothing" rang out as Ron's ears turned red and the other three blushed.

"Ooookay, we'll let that go but I think Harry asked us here to say something else?"

Ron looked surprised and Harry immediately looked grim. Everyone sat back down as Harry explained. He reminded them of the battle at the Ministry and how the prophesy that Voldemort had wanted so badly was smashed. He then revealed that the original witness to the prophesy was Dumbledore.

The room was tense as Harry took a deep breath and vividly recalled watching Professor Trelawney's translucent image rise from Dumbledore's pensive.

"The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord approaches. Born to those who have thrice defied him, born as the seventh month dies. And the Dark Lord will mark him as his equal, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not. And either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives. The one with the power to vanquish the Dark Lord will be born as the seventh month dies."

As Harry had expected, a heated argument followed. All of their arguments he had either gone over with Dumbledore that first time, or with himself many times thereafter. Tadra was the most receptive to the prophesy being real and meant specifically for Harry and not Neville. Hermione was positively enraged about all of it. She refused to accept a prophesy from someone she considered a fraud and stomped around the room in tears and clenched fists.

"Look Hermione, you may not believe this prophesy but Voldemort does. He believes what little he knows and therefore perceives me as a direct threat. If he knew the rest, it would only confirm what he already thinks. That's why I'm a marked man - literally. That's why you shouldn't love me. That's why no one should until this is over."

Hermione threw herself at Harry and sobbed.

"You can't get rid of me that easily. I don't give a damn about some stupid prophesy. I love you."

"You can't get rid of me either mate," Ron said blinking. "I'm with you all the way."

"As am I, my brother."

"We all are," Ginny added, briefly clutching at something unseen about her neck.

It had been an emotional revelation. Tadra and Ginny wiping at tears, left the room. Ron, still blinking, followed. Harry and Hermione, still embraced, were left alone to sort through their feelings.

Emotions spent they sat down on Harry's bed and were soon laying down holding onto one another, their eyes still warm and red.

"You really shouldn't you know. It would be safer -."

"Try to talk me out of loving you one more time and I'll hex you so bad . . ."

"With what?" Harry asked with a cheeky smile and held up Hermione's wand.

"No fair," she said trying to reach for her wand that Harry held further and further behind him. The effort made her press closer to him and their cheeks met. The effect was mutually electrical. Hermione's wand slowly levitated to the floor from Harry's hand as Hermione leaned back letting lips caress her cheek then moving to meet her own. It was a gentle tender kiss as they shared the beginning of a new relationship, an open relationship, a fresh start.

▪▪▪

The next day they all began rounding up school supplies with Mrs. Weasley, no longer using a cane, and being her motherly self with the group. Harry suspected it was partly because so much had happened that she hated to let them out of her sight. In fact he was fairly sure that everyone, except maybe Tadra, understood why and no one complained.

Harry and Hermione couldn't keep from smiling every time they made eye contact, which was often. And they playfully held hands on brief occasions exploring how public they wanted to make their relationship known. It was a new experience to no longer wrestle with doubt as to whether they were dealing with some sort of side effect. It was liberating not to fear losing their friendships with Ron or Ginny. It was a relief not to worry about whether anyone would find out. Still, they struggled with old habits of not letting their feelings for each other be known. What they did not realize was how apparent their actions really were. Tadra and Ginny would either grin and look at each other or find something interesting nearby. Ron was more prone to look away and roll his eyes. After they had each accumulated a stack of books for the school year Mrs. Weasley rounded on them in front of Flourish and Blott's.

"Alright, what's with you two?"

Harry and Hermione jumped apart several inches, dropping books everywhere, and gave innocent looks which brought a burst of laughter from Tadra and Ron. Ginny clamped a hand over her mouth to keep from doing the same. The laughter made them both blush.

"That's not going to work anymore mate. For neither of you."

"They're going steady mum," Ginny informed her mother.

"Thank Merlin that's over with. And it's been obvious since last summer. I was just about to the end of my wand with the lot of you. Well, not you Tadra dear."

Mrs. Weasley was pleased and relieved as she looked at Harry and Hermione and then to her own two children with pride, and to Tadra in wonder.

"I believe I'll treat myself to a bit of well deserved shopping. The rest of you carry on without me. We'll meet at the Leaky for lunch and I'll see if Arthur can apparate in from work to join us."

▪▪▪

Harry stopped in front of a narrow shabby little shop with a single wand on a faded purple cushion. Harry suddenly realized he had never seen Tadra use a wand. He felt sure she had one, but decided to ask anyway.

"Tadra, you do have a wand don't you?"

Tadra reached into the sleeve of her robe and withdrew a very ornate silver rod.

"That's a wand?" Ron asked amazed.

"A most unsual wand," said Mr. Ollivander stepping from the doorway of his shop startling everyone but Tadra.

"Mr. Ollivander! You gave me a start. I thought your store was closed," Hermione said in surprise.

"I decided to open up for just this one day Miss Granger. The day before school starts. I felt an obligation to the new students of Hogwarts getting their first wands. I very much enjoy the looks on their faces. However, I couldn't help but notice this unique wand." His moon-like eyes were still eerie but his face was kind as he looked intently upon Tadra's wand.

"This is Mr. Ollivander, the best wandmaker in Britain. And this is Tadra Potter, my adopted sister," Harry said in introduction.

"Delighted to make your acquaintance Miss Potter. Good to see young Mr. Potter with some magical family."

"Would you like to examine my wand Mr. Ollivander?"

"Indeed I would. Oh my yes, how exquisite. This intricately engraved wand is made of the purest silver. The core is the stinger of a giant desert scorpion. The venom of the stinger, besides being deadly with no known antidote, is extremely caustic and would eat through most materials in seconds necessitating the use of platinum encasing the core. I would say this wand is eleven inches in length, very powerful, and difficult to use. Anyone who can wield this wand can use any wand with ease. May I?"

Tadra nodded.

"Orchideous." A bouquet of flowers popped out the end of Tadra's wand.

"Most impressive," Tadra commented.

"A wand such as this, is particular to a magical Bedouin tribe near the Jaharu desert. They are a fiercely loyal and self reliant people. This type of wand is strictly reserved for use by the royal family. I would say in this case - a Bedouin princess."

Tadra took the revelation in stride. Everyone else's mouth dropped open.

"My father may be the leader of our people but we do not use such titles. A most impressive knowledge of wands Mr. Ollivander."

Mr. Ollivander commented how he had always wanted to make such a wand but obtaining a giant scorpion stinger in a desert without magic was far too dangerous for an elderly wandmaker. Harry then told how he and Hermione had managed to kill one with their wands at the edge of the desert. Mr. Ollivander was keenly interested in a detailed description of how their wands had worked and their effect on the giant scorpion. After examining Harry and Hermione's wands Mr. Ollivander gave his opinion.

"Yes, we can expect great things from you, Harry Potter. And you Hermione Granger. Perhaps from all of you."

A wizard and his wife along with their daughter and son, walked up to Mr. Ollivander. The young girl was the older and obviously anxious to get her first wand. Mr. Ollivander thanked Tadra for letting him examine her wand and thanked everyone else for an amazing story. His gaze rested on Harry and Hermione before turning his attention to the new young customer. Mr. Ollivander could be heard telling the young witch he remembered selling her mother and father their first wands as they went into his store.

"A princess?" Ron squeaked. "You mean I . . . a Princess?"

"Ron, why do you fret? You have not turned into a frog - at least not yet," Tadra teased with a smile and a wink.

▪▪▪▪

'The question. I know someone will ask,' Hermione thought to herself.

She attended her Prefect duties on the train taking care of the normal magical mishaps and diffusing of squabbles. The current buzz was about all the Dementors and their attacks. Plus the death of Professor Figg and who would be the new DADA teacher.

She thought to herself how Ron had a changed attitude and thought back to what he had said on their way to the meeting with the new Head Boy and Head Girl.

"You know Hermione, we really need to get into more advanced training and lessons if we're going to help Harry. I think we should start up Dumbledore's Army again. Let's talk to Harry about it later."

She had suppressed any other response except to agree, and then truthfully say she had been thinking about the DA as well.

A young boy, obviously a first year, approached her and she wondered if he would be the one to ask. She was disappointed when all he wanted to know was where the toilet was.

Making her way through the train she found a large crowd in the corridor in front of the compartment that Harry, Tadra, Luna, and Neville had occupied. She immediately tensed, fearing Malfoy may have started something again but then she heard Harry talking about their adventure crossing the desert.

The crowd began to part to let her by but she paused and listened. Harry seemed reluctant play up how close to death they had come, or how often. He did however, repeat several times that if it hadn't been for Hermione and Ron and how they relied upon each other they would all be dead.

'My modest hero,' she thought to herself.

Tadra was not reserved in the least and thoroughly enjoyed expounding upon the deadly dangers of the desert and how brave her adopted brother and his friends were to have survived.

Finally she moved forward and caught Harry's attention. His face lit up and practically radiated like the dawn of a new day and he gave her that smile that made her weak in the knees. She reminded him again to save a carriage, only as an excuse to say something. As she turned away to continue her Prefect duties she felt a warm kiss on her cheek. Startled, and with a slight blush, she turned back to see Harry wink.

'Tsk, that wandless magic of his. I want a proper kiss. And he had best not forget we have a date on top of the Astronomy Tower tonight. A whole year,' she thought to herself with disappointment. ' I'll show him what he's been missing for a whole year.'

She was anxiously looking forward to resolving their self imposed test and if it was anything like last time . . . With a dreamy smile on her face she practically walked into the tea trolley.

Questions, questions, but not the one she was looking for.

'Isn't that the way of it. When you want someone to ask, they don't,' she thought in frustration.

"Excuse me, Prefect Granger? Is Harry Potter your boyfriend?"

'Finally.'

Hermione turned to find three second year Hufflepuff girls. And to make the moment that much sweeter Hermione saw Cho Chang and two of her friends within earshot. Part of her wanted to chastise herself for such petty rivalry but there was now a powerful dominating feeling within. She no longer had to stand by as just a friend and wish him happiness with whomever he might chose. Two happy words were held resplendent in her heart - "He's mine".

"Yes," she answered simply. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"B-but he wasn't, you weren't - last year," one of the girls stuttered.

"That was last year."

▪▪▪▪

"No Scott, I mean it, I don't want a levi-chair."

"Please Miss Jen. Scottsdale only want Miss Jen not over do."

"Damn it," swore the female voice. "I don't want to look different. I don't want to be different. I just want to be normal."

"Please Miss Jen. For Scottsdale?" pleaded the high pitched voice of a house-elf.

"Don't make me order you Scott."

It was a strange sounding argument coming from a nearby compartment and it caught Harry's attention amongst the chaos of everyone getting off the train in the dimming light.

"Pardon, I'm not a Prefect but can I be of help?"

"No," she said sternly staring down at the persistent house-elf. Then thinking better of it turned to see who had offered to help. "Oh, er, I'm fine," she said with a pursed smile and gave a very brief glance at Harry's forehead. "Overprotective Scottsdale here is being a pain."

Harry assessed the situation. She was a short girl with sandy blonde hair and smiling blue eyes. There was something about her that was disarming and immediately put him at ease. He assumed she was a third or fourth year because of her size, but couldn't recall having seen her before and a quick look for an absent house emblem on her school robes meant that she was new. He had never seen anyone assigned a personal house-elf and because of the levi-chair wondered if there was some medical reason. Scottsdale was looking at Harry with large hazel-brown colored eyes and the look was definitely a bugger off.

"Are you one of the Hogwarts house-elves?" Harry asked.

Scottsdale's look didn't change as he shook his head no, making his large ears flop.

"Why don't you go up to the Hogwart's kitchen and ask for a house-elf named Dobby. Tell him Harry said to help get you settled in."

"Miss Jen needs Scottsdale. New students crosses the water and it's Scottsdale's job to protect Miss Jen. Scottsdale not trust young witches and wizards to look after Miss Jen."

"Scott, I'll be fine."

"My sister is new too. How about if they ride a boat together? Would that be alright?" Harry asked the hose-elf who still looked unconvinced. Harry found the situation a little comical that the house-elf was being so fussy, but it was also endearing. They apparently had a close relationship as evident that Jen didn't want to order her house-elf to comply.

"Tadra, over here."

Tadra saw Harry waving his hand above the crowd in the chaos of the corridor of the train and made her way to him.

"This is Jen."

"Jen Hanson, and this is Scottsdale the overprotective. Harry said you're a new student too."

"Yes, I am to cross the lake with the rest of the new students. I have been told it is a wonderful experience to see the school for the first time from the lake. Would you like to accompany me in the same boat?"

"Alright Scott, that should be good enough," Jen said eyeing him.

Scottsdale looked Tadra up and down and grudgingly consented. Suddenly he smiled showing lots of teeth.

"Miss Jen still owes Scottsdale a butterbeer."

"What? No way, you cheat -" Jen didn't bother to finish her accusation because Scottsdale and the levi-chair disappeared.

"Have either of you ever heard of a house-elf that cheats at cards?" Jen asked smiling and shaking her head.

▪▪▪

Harry went with Tadra and Jen to see them off. Hagrid was easy to find towering above everyone, lantern in hand beneath a darkening sky, and calling for first years to gather round.

"Oy, Hagrid!"

"'Arry! Come ta see Tadra off? Well, now I could use a bit 'o help here if ya don't mind Tadra. Seems we got one that won't talk or do much 'o anythin' for that matter."

A little boy, looking very small next to Hagrid, stood motionless staring into space. The only sign he hadn't been hit with a petrification spell were the tears rolling down his cheeks.

"What is your name?" Tadra asked gently but with no response from the little wizard.

Jen took the initiative and leaned down to look the little lad in the eyes, and gave him a warm smile. Slowly he focused and gave a tentative smile in response.

"My name is Jen. Would you like to ride in a boat with me and Tadra?"

He nodded slowly yes.

"You have a gift Jen Hanson," Tadra commented while helping the little boy dry his face.

"I don't know if it's a gift," Jen shrugged. "I just seem to be able to help people smile."

"Another firs' year?" Hagrid asked.

Jen rolled her eyes.

"Sorry 'bout that. Thought maybe you was a taller firs' year. Ah transfer maybe? Regardless yer new and yer comin' with us? Good, we're off then. See ya at the feast Harry."

▪▪▪▪

"Do you suppose that's the real Mad Eye Moody?" Dean asked.

"Absolutely," Harry said grinning.

"Dumbledore and the Ministry wouldn't make that mistake twice," Seamus said with a nod as Neville leaned across the table.

"I wonder if he'll be as interesting as the old one? Er, I mean the imposter. Not that the imposter was good. Well, you know what I mean."

"Barty Crouch Junior had to impersonate Moody well enough to fool everyone, including Dumbledore. It'll probably seem like he's coming back even though he never taught the first time," Hermione answered.

"He's interesting enough," Ron said sounding satisfied with the new DADA teacher.

"I think he's creepy. I don't like the idea he can see right through anything with that eye of his."

"Afraid Professor Moody will be looking over your girlish figure Lavender?" Ginny said with a smirk.

There was a momentary shared look between the boys and the conversation shifted quickly. But the thought lingered teasingly in Harry's mind as he grinned at Hermione. She narrowed her eyes at him and a whispered conversation followed.

"You've seen far too much already Mr. Potter."

"But it was dark that first night we went for a swim at the oasis."

"It wasn't dark the next day we went swimming. I'm sure you haven't forgotten."

Harry relished the memory and the slight blush that came to Hermione's cheeks.

"Hmmm, I don't know. It all seemed like some sort of dream. Maybe another look sometime just to be sure."

Hermione's eyes grew big and she gave him a playful elbow in mock offense and quickly turned away so he wouldn't see her bemused smile and slight flush to her face.

The Great Hall became quiet as McGonagall brought out the sorting hat. Perched on a stool the sorting hat sang it's song of rhyme and warning that the houses of Hogwarts and wizardkind should "unite or face tyranny's might". It gave Harry a chill to think what the world might become if they failed - if he failed.

The sorting was always of interest and an opportunity to cheer when another one came to the Gryffindor table. Just as a first year boy was sorted into Slytherin Hermione wanted to say something to Harry and Ron.

"What if Tadra doesn't get sorted into Gryffindor?"

"So long as she's not sorted into Slytherin," Ron joked.

"It's not funny. What if she does get sorted into Slytherin? Are you going to alienate her? And you especially Harry, are you going to just sit here and look glum? You've accepted her as your adopted sister. You're all she's got for family now. How would you feel in her place?"

"What's all the gloom for Hermione? Harry doesn't have to worry about Tadra being sorted into Slytherin. Her father and her brothers hate Death Eaters."

"Don't be too sure where she'll be sorted," Hermione said quietly as Jen Hanson's name was called out.

Jen was taller than the tallest first years but not by much. Harry listened to the speculation being bantered about the table as to what year she was in. He personally thought she might be a fourth year, maybe a fifth year. Hermione's opinion was that she was likely a sixth year, but Harry and Ron found that hard to believe.

The hat didn't take long to call out "Gryffindor!" and Jen, smiling with delight, made her way toward the cheering Gryffindor table. Jen was bombarded with questions and they soon learned she was a sixth year and had eight OWLs with an Outstanding in Potions.

"Told you so," Hermione smirked making Harry and Ron frown.

Harry waited in anticipation as the line of first years shortened and Tadra was within two. She stood head and shoulders above everyone else in line making the first years look that much smaller and younger. Looking unconcerned by her own imminent sorting she reassured the fidgeting and nervous young ones near her. Harry found it difficult to believe he had once looked so small himself.

"Tadra Potter," McGonagall called out.

The Great Hall grew quiet and chatter about who she was and where she might be sorted grew to a whispered murmur. Tadra walked toward the sorting hat with confidence and grace making quite a contrast to the first years that had preceded her.

Ron was watching Tadra intently as he handled something in the pocket of his school robe. Hermione caught a glimpse of a sheer yellow fabric. She recognized it as Tadra's scarf from their time spent at the oasis and suppressed a smirk.

Tadra placed the old worn out hat on her head and instead of engulfing her head, as was the case with most of the younger ones; it only just covered her eyebrows. Harry noticed Tadra's lips moving and remembered his experience with the sorting hat. Suddenly the hat straightened to a sharp point as Tadra continued talking. The hat began to laugh as it slowly relaxed, and between chuckles, shouted "Slytherin!". The Slytherin table erupted into clapping and cheers. Harry was in shock, but Hermione's warning had helped prepare him and he hid his disappointment for Tadra's sake. He stood up, waved to Tadra, and clapped modestly in congratulations. Others from the Gryffindor table joined him. Tadra looked over to Harry and gave him a grateful smile as she made her way to take a seat with the Slytherins.

Harry looked over the Slytherin table and fixed his gaze upon a pale face with cold gray eyes. Draco Malfoy had that sneer on his face that always made Harry want to slap it off of him.

'Damn it,' Harry thought. 'This changes things. I'll have to be easy on him for Tadra's sake. He could make life miserable for her in the Slytherin dungeon. But so help me if he harms her . . . I'll . . .'

Something inside Harry began to grow. Conversations going on near him stopped abruptly in mid word.

"Stop it," Hermione whispered in his ear. There was panic in her voice.

"Huh?" Harry snapped back from what he was feeling.

Conversations resumed where they had left off. Harry abruptly felt self conscious as if he had done something he shouldn't have or hadn't meant to but he couldn't figure out what it was. As he glanced around the Great Hall no one but Hermione seemed to have noticed anything except - Dumbledore. Harry was certain Dumbledore was looking directly at him. Hermione tugged at his arm to sit down. His face flushed as he complied. Hermione whispered in his ear so that no one else could hear.

"What were you doing? I felt something. It felt like you were doing something. You've got to be careful of your wandless magic, Harry. Are you alright?"

"I think so. Yeah, I'm okay."

"Yeah, I know how you feel mate. Kinda took the wind out of me with Tadra being sorted into Slytherin. And what made you think she was going to be sorted that way Hermione?"

"She did spend a week with me, Ron. We talked about the sorting among other things. And you have to understand where she grew up. You should both understand how brutal that environment is. Tadra explained to me that you survive by your wits and cunning when you live next to the Jaharu. Do you know she thought Ron cheated in that Quidditch match?"

"I didn't cheat. It was just a glancing blow or something from that Bludger. Why would she think I cheated?"

"Because the other side cheated by managing to make two of the Beladasan players sick. And that reminds me Ron. I want you to see Madam Pomfrey."

"Don't start on me with that again."

"With what?" Harry asked.

"On the train I saw a fifth year Slytherin hit Ron square in the back with a stunning spell and the only thing Ron did was yell."

"Of course I yelled, it hurt. Should have seen how I quickly I deprived him of his wand. I really enjoyed writing the little twit up. I'm sure he'll get detention for trying to cast a stunning spell on a Prefect. That's what it had to be - he had to have cast it wrong. It makes sense doesn't it Harry?"

Ron was asking him for back up but Harry remembered the Bludger that by rights should have seriously injured him and now to hear a stunning spell had almost no effect.

"I dunno Ron. It might not be a bad idea. I mean, it wouldn't hurt to get a check up."

"Right, I'm supposed to march into the hospital wing and say I need a check up because my two best friends think I've turned into some sort of freak. Well, I'm not going to do it."

"I'll talk to McGonagall," Hermione threatened.

"I thought Hermione was daft, but now I think you both are. If you can convince McGonagall I need to see Madam Pomfrey then I'll go, but not before."

Hermione had that set in her jaw that she was ready for another go but Harry told her Ron might have a point. Hermione quickly rounded on Harry and he just as quickly pointed out that he agreed with her and that they would both talk to McGonagall. Fortunately the sorting was over and Dumbledore gave a short welcoming speech with the normal warnings of what was out of bounds and what was expected. Then the feast began which captured Ron's full attention. Ron still had that voracious and almost frightening appetite he had acquired since their journey through the desert. Harry decided he would mention that to McGonagall as well.

▪▪▪▪

A fifth year Prefect with fiery red hair and clear blue eyes stared at the stone gargoyle sentinels that guarded the entrance to the headmaster's office. With a furrowed brow she looked deep in thought as she waited discreetly near by. She jerked her attention to movement in the hallway and smiled at the familiar shape of a tall pointed hat atop white hair and long white beard. She took a deep breath and stepped forward.

"Good evening Prefect Weasley. Did you enjoy the feast?"

"Very much," she smiled brightly and extended her hand.

Dumbledore politely shook her hand and raised one eyebrow.

"Care to join me in a cup of tea? Perhaps there is something we should discuss."

He didn't wait for an answer. He turned to the gargoyles and said the password.

"Charms Pops." The gargoyles immediately jumped aside. "I thought it was a catchy name for a sweet," he grinned and looked at Ginny over his half-moon glasses.

They ascended the spiral staircase and Dumbledore took a seat behind his desk, he waved his wand at a tea kettle before looking at Ginny with interest.

"I do not recall you having been inducted into the Order. And since I'm the head of the Order I would think I should know. I assume this has something to do with what happened after the ceremony under the Sphinx?"

"Yes."

The words poured out and Dumbledore listened intently. After Ginny finished Dumbledore looked deep in thought.

"I have no doubt you believe everything that you have told me. However, even you must agree how unusual it sounds."

"Unusual?" Ginny laughed and gave a bittersweet smile. "You're always so polite. I would have said absolute rubbish." Ginny paused before saying more. "I wouldn't have believed it either except for - "

Ginny reached for something unseen about her neck, cupped her hand around it as though it were the most precious thing on earth and gave a ragged sigh before extending her arm. A gold heart shaped locket was revealed in her open hand. Dumbledore took it and opened it. He gazed intently upon the contents before placing it back in her hand and answered with an almost choked reply.

"I believe you."

Ginny burst into tears.

"Oh Merlin," she sobbed. "I thought I was losing my mind but I had the locket and I knew it was true. It was all true."

Dumbledore conjured a comfortable chair and encouraged Ginny to have a sip of tea.

"From the information you have given there is no immediate urgency to continue further this evening and it is getting late. What you have just told me I will keep in strictest confidence but I wonder if perhaps this is a heavy burden you have placed upon yourself."

"It is mine to bear," she said with conviction.

Dumbledore nodded with understanding and bid her goodnight and decided to turn in. He couldn't help but feel deep empathy for Ginny but his mind was awash with thoughts of plans and possibilities from the things she had told him.

▪▪▪▪

The moon was more than three quarters full and rising well into the clear night sky. The moonlight illuminated the Hogwarts grounds, the forbidden forest, and Hogsmeade could be seen silver-blue in the distance from on top of the astronomy tower. It was pleasantly cool after a warm day and with very little breeze. Hermione took in the nighttime view leaning out onto the parapet.

'I should have said something. I can't believe he could have forgotten. I know it's only been a few minutes but I've been thinking about this for a long time. And that much more since everyone found out at the Leaky. I wonder if he's sound asleep.'

Hermione thought about it and tried to picture Harry asleep in his four-poster. She shook her head in rejection at the thought. With a sudden flash of inspiration she pulled out her wand and blew a gust of air around her - nothing. But she had been so sure.

"Looking for someone under an invisibility cloak?" asked a voice a few centimeters from her.

"Harry! For Merlin's sake! How long have you been there and why didn't you say something?"

Harry pulled the cloak off and put it in his pocket as he spoke.

"Sorry, I was already here. It's just that you look so beautiful in the moonlight. I kind of hated to say anything. Have I ever told you how beautiful you look in the moonlight?" he asked.

"N-no," she stammered as Harry gave her a smile that made her weak.

"I should have. There's so many things I should have said, but I was afraid."

"Are you afraid now?" she asked moving closer.

"No, I'm not afraid any more - I love you."

'Oh Merlin, does he have any idea what he does to me? How he makes me feel when he says that?'

She felt his warm hands reach around her waist and her heart began to race as she looked upon his face, his smile. They were close now and emotions that had too long been held back rose in their hearts.

"What if it's not true love?" she asked in a teasing whisper.

"There's only one way to find out," he whispered in return and leaned closer.

Time had no meaning as two hearts sang with joy. Harry and Hermione leaned back from each other. Harry felt light headed and dizzy as though he needed air to breathe. Hermione looked dazed with a strange smile and a look of wonderment on her face.

"Do you think we passed the test?" Harry asked in a teasingly.

"We had to. I'm not sure I can take much more," she said almost breathless.

There was a expectant pause between them as they looked deep into each other's eyes.

"Care to try that again," they asked at the same time.

They both laughed and smiled with delight, ready to further explore the depths of what they were feeling. Harry gently slid his hand into soft curls behind her neck. He caressed the gentle curves of her face with his other hand just before engaging in a deep and passionate kiss.

The world became brighter and more wonderful than ever. They were lost to each other, nothing else mattered.

Harry drew back and gently kissed the side of her mouth and along her chin to a spot just below her ear. Hermione shivered with pleasure each time warm lips made contact and moved lower down her neck. Hermione shifted, exposing her bare shoulder encouraging Harry to continue.

▪▪▪

Dumbledore woke to the supple song of phoenix. In a pale blue night robe he sleepily made his way to Fawkes perch. His half-moon glasses were crooked on his nose and the ball of fuzz on the end of his nightcap dangled lazily beside his head.

"I really do enjoy your singing Fawkes," he said thickly with sleep in his voice. "But I wonder what might be contributing to the occasion?"

Dumbledore conjured a viewer with a wave of his hand. The image flickered and bathed him in dazzling golden light. He blinked at the unexpected brightness and focused on the scene displayed.

"Oh my . . . Fawkes, I think you had best pay a visit to our favorite young couple." Dumbledore raised a sleepy eyebrow adding - "And be quick about it."

Fawkes disappeared in a burst of flame and just as quickly reappeared in Dumbledore's viewer with the same burst of flame on Harry's shoulder. Dumbledore gave a chuckle at the young couples' surprise and the viewer disappeared with a wave of his hand. He thought sleepily to himself as he headed back to his bed chamber.

'No doubt I will be asked about the light show on top of the Astronomy Tower my next venture into Hogsmeade. I will simply infer credit to the prohibited use of Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes fireworks. Perhaps their orders for fireworks will increase again as they did last year.'

Dumbledore grinned to himself and then thought about Harry and Hermione finally accepting that what they felt for each other was genuine.

"Thank Merlin that's over," he said out loud and gave a satisfied yawn as the thick dark wooden door closed behind him.

▪▪▪

Ron and the other boys enjoyed teasing Harry as to when he managed to get to bed the night before, or if he had even got any sleep.

"Hey mate, what's that mark on your neck?" Ron asked and winked at Neville

"Is that a love bite Harry?" Neville teased.
"What! What mark? Where?" Harry asked with panic. He frantically looked for a mirror.

"A love bite?"

"Let's see Harry."

Dean and Seamus craned for a look just as Ron made motions and gestures behind Harry's back. They both snickered catching on that Ron was only making it up. They couldn't help themselves from laughing as Harry's face became red in his search for a mirror and mumbling something about Hermione getting a talking to. All in good fun they taunted him and laughed all the more.

"A love bite? It looks more like a dragon bite."

"Doesn't that hurt?"

"Are you sure she's not part vampire?"

Out of sheer frustration Harry conjured a mirror levitating in mid air. Half expecting to see his entire neck bruised black and blue he looked all around and saw nothing.

"You guys are putting me on."

Harry looked around at open mouths and wide eyed stares. Realizing what he had done he deftly palmed his wand and lifted up his hand making sure everyone saw it.

"What?"

"Whoa, how did you do that?"

"Wicked! Harry, can you teach me that?"

"That's not fair. When did you learn that?"

"You conjured a mirror mate. That's what we're going to study this year and you can already do it? Is that what those private lessons were about last year?"

Harry let them all think it was the private lessons with Dumbledore. And it made sense to everyone that Harry would be given extra instruction since it was common knowledge that you know who was still after him. Harry wished they would all get used to saying Voldemort. Ron was doing better but reverted to old habits around others.

'I absolutely must be more careful about doing wandless magic,' he thought to himself.

A parchment airplane floated into their dorm room and unfolded itself in front of Ron.

Ron

You're a Prefect - remember???

You're Late!

Hermione

"Oh, right."

Ron quickly gathered his things and got a move on while everyone made friendly jibes about Prefects.

The letter turned itself over in front of Harry.

The three of us need to get our exemption homework done first thing.

It shouldn't take long.

Love Hermione

XXX

The three X's were followed by a lipstick imprint that left the parchment and landed on Harry's cheek with a smack.

"Clever witch," Harry mumbled amongst the laughter of his roommates. They laughed even more when Harry tried to remove it, and it wouldn't come off.

"Clever aaand cheeky", he mumbled giving the lip prints one last rub before using his wand to vanish the conjured mirror and go looking for Hermione.

Harry found Hermione waiting in the common room. She looked her handiwork over approvingly.

"That charm worked rather well," she said sounding pleased with herself turning Harry's cheek for a closer inspection.

"I don't have to wear this all day do I?"

"Why not? What's wrong with it? Don't you like my lip prints?"

"Maybe I prefer the real thing and not just on the cheek."

"Oooo, good answer," she gave him a delighted smile and kissed her lip prints on his cheek. "There, all gone. Although, it would have only been fair to make you wear that all day. Especially after giving me love bites all down my neck. The girls teased me something awful this morning."

"I did?" Harry asked wide eyed and grinning. Seeing Hermione squint her eyes at him he immediately changed tone. "Er, ah, I'm sorry."

"No you're not."

Harry almost laughed. It was true. He wasn't sorry. He leaned from side to side looking for the telltale bruise marks.

"They're all gone. I magicked them away. I had to really," Hermione said almost looking disappointed. "The girls were wanting to know just how far down they went. And I, er, we, couldn't let anyone know that now could we."

With a sappy grin Harry shook his head slowly in agreement.

"You need to learn not to kiss quite so hard. Well, at least down my neck. I believe some practice would help."

Harry's face brightened.

"Practice?"

"Not now," she grinned. "Later."

"Hey you two, shake a leg. No time for snogging. Let's get this end of summer assignment done and get some breakfast, I'm hungry. And we're late, or have you forgotten you're a Prefect, Hermione."

Ron snorted as Hermione gave him a dirty look just before he slipped out through the portrait hole into the corridor.

Harry had assumed the three of them would perform the Priori Incantatem on each other's wands under McGonagall's super vision. He was surprised when they arrived at McGonagall's office to find a middle-aged wizard from the Improper Use of Magic Office. He looked harried, overworked, and not at all happy to be there. He swallowed a gulp of hot coffee as he instructed them to place their wands, one at a time, on a wand transcorder. The transcorder resembled a brass plate with four glass bulbs mounted upright on the rim. The bulbs were filled with swirling white smoke. Harry thought the translator would look more appropriate hanging from a ceiling as a muggle light fixture.

Ron put his wand on the transcorder first. The glass bulbs of swirling smoke changed colors and Ron's wand emitted a ghost image of the last spell performed. It was brief and Harry wasn't sure, but it looked like a levitation spell before there was a puff of smoke and a piece of parchment stuck out from a slot in the rim of the plate.

In rapid succession it repeated the process and the parchment curled longer with each recording. After maybe a dozen recordings it stopped and the wizard tore off the parchment record. Rather bored he looked it over and verified Ronald Weasley was the owner of the wand before filing it away.

Hermione's was next but when the wizard looked over the recording he became wide eyed.

"You can do a full corporeal patronus? That's an amazing achievement."

"Harry taught me. In fact, he taught several of us here at Hogwarts how to cast a corporeal patronus."

The Ministry wizard lamented how he wished he could perform a corporeal patronus. Especially with all the Dementors roaming about. In a much friendlier mood he finally introducing himself as Paul Bauhnmier.

Harry placed his secondary wand on the transcorder and it only spit out a piece of parchment with his name and no record of spells being cast.

"Harry Potter? The Harry Potter? I had no idea. But of course I shouldn't be so surprised. This is Hogwarts after all. A pleasure to meet you in person. Oh, now I see. Miss Granger meant that you taught her how to cast a corporeal patronus. Almost disappointing to see you haven't cast any spells over the summer holiday."

Harry pulled out his primary wand and placed it on the transcorder which puffed in rapid succession. Mr. Bauhnmier looked over the curled parchment recording.

"Yes, a full corporeal patronus I see - not surprising. And . . . sweet mother of Merlin. What's this?"

Mr. Bauhnmier showed Harry the parchment recording pointing to a particular entry. Hermione and Ron crowded in to look as well.

August 6, 1996 - 8:23:20 pm

Cremo Praefervidusa Solaris Flammo Vorare Incensum!

Harry saw that this spell, whatever it was, was cast less than a second after two rapid fire stunning spells. It suddenly occurred to him this was the spell he used to destroy the doppelganger.

"Er, I used that on a doppelganger."

"A doppelganger? A dark magic assassin creature? What kind of a spell is it anyway? The transcorder doesn't even have a name for it. The best it could do was give a translation. And look at the exclamation at the end. That means it was done with power. That's how a full corporeal patronus spell is designated, with an exclamation."

"Harry had private lessons from Dumbledore last year," Hermione said coming to Harry's rescue again.

"Yes, of course. That explains a lot. But still -"

"And I'm still hungry," Ron interjected. "We haven't had breakfast yet."

"I apologize. By all means carry on. It's just that I thought this was going to be a boring assignment. It's been anything but."

▪▪▪

"How about starting up the DA again. Hermione and I were talking about it yesterday. I'd really like to get a full patronus down. Besides, you're going to need help if you intend to face Voldemort."

Ron cast a look up and down the corridor as he said Voldemort, on their way to the Great Hall for breakfast. Harry appreciated Ron's effort in at least saying his name, but he stopped and faced them both to make something explicitly clear.

"Neither of you are going to face Voldemort - I am."

Harry braced himself for a row with Hermione. He could see the set in her jaw, the flare of her nostrils and fiery stare. He hated the thought that this would be their first argument as an official couple but he couldn't help but feel proud of the way she looked and held her ground.

'Damn, she's scary when she looks like that. If I was a Death Eater I'd run.'

Ron must have known what was coming too.

"Look mate, you're going to need us to clear a path so you can get at him. You don't really think he'll waltz out in front of everyone to shake your hand before you two try to kill each other. And if we're going to be of help we need to get some training in. So what do you say about starting up the DA again."

Harry and Hermione looked at Ron and blinked. The impending row was diffused.

"I guess if you put it that way. I can't say no," Harry said grinning at Ron.

"Right, and as soon as we clear a path, I'll join you." Harry eyed Hermione, but she continued. "You don't honestly expect me to stand there with nothing better to do."

They all laughed, but deep down they knew the final confrontation was no laughing matter.

▪▪▪

"I'm starved," Ron said taking a seat and immediately he started piling food on his plate.

"May I join you, my brother?"

"Tadra, it's good to see you. Everything all right? It wasn't too bad spending the night in the Slytherin dungeon was it? Did they treat you okay? Malfoy didn't give you any trouble did he? Was Snape mean and rude?"

Tadra smiled at Harry's string of questions.

"Professor Snape was most polite. It was almost as though he felt sorry for me."

Harry frowned questioningly as Tadra gave him a mischievous grin.

"I could attempt to answer the rest of your questions over breakfast, my brother."

"Oh, er, I don't know if that's a good idea."

Harry glanced over at the Slytherin table and there were a number of disapproving looks being given.

"There's no school rule against it. Parvati and Padma have been known to visit each other's table. Besides I wouldn't mind having a sister to share breakfast with," Luna said in her usual dreamy tone. "Mind if I join you Ginny?"

Ginny moved over to give Luna room.

"I think it's a splendid idea," Jen agreed with a smile.

"Always room for another pretty girl," Jim grinned sitting next to Jen.

"Rii -" Tim agreed stuffing his mouth sitting on the other side of Jen.

"Do you not wish me to join you, my brother?"

"Of course I don't mind I was just thinking it might be easier to get along with the other Slytherin's if you didn't."

Hermione and Ron quietly agreed with Harry but were also glad to have her company. Tadra thanked them and sat down beside Harry.

"What do you mean Snape felt sorry for you?" Ron asked.

Tadra laughed as she reached for a pitcher of milk.