Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** To avoid any screaming, wailing, gnashing of teeth, or breaking keyboards :P I want to assure everyone that there is a reason for this chapter. Patience, patience, patience. Things should be straightened out the next chapter - I promise. In the mean time, I'll write the next chapter in the safety of a bomb shelter. H♥Hr ***

They had been treated well. There was plenty of cool water to drink and they were apparently waiting to see someone. Two large men armed not only with wands, but swords and muggle rifles as well, were next to the doorway of the tent and their presence made it clear their unknown host was suspicious of them. The tent they were in was lavishly decorated and pleasantly cool as they whispered amongst themselves. Hermione didn't sense any danger but that might change once their hosts knew who they were, especially Harry, the boy who lived. The first thing they wanted to do was get word to the Order as well as Hermione' and Ron's parents.

"My name is Stronan Beladasan. Welcome to my humble tent. You have refreshment, would you like something to eat as well?" Stronan was not a tall man but he was a man of presence, even his gesture of welcome had authority. He was dark skinned like the rest of his people and had a short dark beard that was turning grey close to his chin. He wore a red and white headdress held in place by gold knotted cord and had several gold jeweled rings on the fingers of each hand.

"That'd be great," Ron said enthusiastically. Hermione frowned at him. "Er, yes, thank you." Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement.

Stronan sat down on a cushion across from his guests and clapped his hands. A tray of tea and biscuits were immediately brought out. Ron snatched at the biscuits and stuffed his face. Hermione frowned at him again but she and Harry helped him clear the tray in short order.

"May I inquire as to your names? It is not often we find young strangers near the edge of the Jaharu."

"Fy nam," Harry swallowed his biscuit. "My name is James." He offered no surname. Hermione gave hers as Jane. But Ron made a face as though his last mouthful of biscuit tasted bad, then with a look of defiance said his name was Ron rather than use his middle name, Bilius.

"As I said, it is most unusual to find anyone on the edge of the Jaharu. It is a very dangerous place. May I also inquire as to how you came to be found by my men? Pardon my intrusion into your affairs, but we - the magical Bedouin - have lived here for millennia and view ourselves as caretakers of the desert. Maybe you are lost?"

Harry gave a glance to Ron and was sure he knew he was thinking the same thing. 'Caretakers of what? A magic forsaken place that no witch or wizard in their right mind would want to go near.'

One of the men who had helped bring them in came and stood beside Stronan. He had a slim build but looked strong for his age and bore a resemblance to Stronan. Harry guessed he was in his early twenties.

"This is my son, Naheem. He was one of those who found you." Naheem gave a slight bow and sat beside Stronan.

"Yes, we were lost in the desert. - James and I were traveling with Ron's family on holiday. We were on the wizard highway going from the Magusa, in Cairo, to Port Said. We were flying our brooms and became separated. Thank you for finding us and would it be possible to borrow an owl? It's been six days and we would really like to contact Ron's parents."

Hermione's rapid explanation was truthful and yet didn't tell too much. Harry was glad she had taken the initiative as he had wondered what to say.

"You are implying that you have crossed the Jaharu?" Stronan asked casually.

The three of them nodded. Naheem and the guards at the door scoffed.

"Father this cannot possibly be true. No foreigner has crossed the sacred desert. No one in their right minds would step into the Jaharu armed only with a single knife. They lie."

"Fat lot you know. As if we had a choice with Death Eaters on our tails." Ron retaliated to Naheems accusation, his ears a light shade of pink.

"Death Eaters? Voldemort scum!" Naheem said Voldemort's name with venom, not with fear or respect. Harry liked the way he said it and gave a half-smile in admiration.

"What do you find amusing? Do you think Voldemort's return sheer fantasy?"

"Not at all. I admire the way you say Voldemort's name."

"Forgive my son. His mother was killed by Death Eaters. His passion burns hot and he forgets how much of himself he reveals. And in answer to the young lady's question about an owl. An important message is not usually trusted to an owl this close to the Jaharu. Magic is also not to be solely trusted. A truly important message is sent by carpet. I assume you will want your message taken to Cairo? It will take time. Meanwhile, please accept our hospitality. Refresh yourselves. Maybe some new clothes as well. Are you injured?" Stronan motioned to Harry and Ron's torn shirts with small signs of bloodstains.

Harry and Ron both said they were fine. Harry mentioned that Jane had been grazed by a bullet on her arm and described the creature that gave him six claw marks across his chest. The two men at the door of the tent said "Jaukaw Deshin" with surprise as Naheem grunted disbelievingly.

"The creature you describe is known by many names but more commonly called the desert lion-dog. The name you heard my men use translates roughly to the devil's jackal. To call a person such a name is considered an extreme insult. If what you say is true, It is most rare to see a lion-dog and live. Even more, it is unheard of to be marked by one and live. After three days the mark of the beast will appear. A mark you will carry the rest of your life."

Ron related how he had been stung by a giant scorpion, but really didn't remember much about it. He only remembered coming to and seeing the giant insect dead.

At this Naheem sprang to his feet and said something in a foreign tongue. Harry assumed he was either swearing or saying something derogatory.

"This is nonsense. No one lives after being stung by the giant scorpion. They have obviously been lost and have made up these tales to cover their incompetence."

"This is the second time you have insulted our guests Naheem." Naheem stiffened at his father's rebuke.

"My apologies." He bowed to the three, and then to his father. "By your leave, my father." Stronan nodded and Naheem left.

"Please forgive my son. He reacts to the most obvious and yet I have not sensed lies to the amazing things you have said. I do sense that you are not telling me everything but I have respect for privacy. Here is what I will suggest, the decision is yours of course. First, that you write a magically sealed message to those you wish to contact. I will have it dispatched by our fastest carpet. I then offer use of our baths and beg you join me for the afternoon meal. It is also my hope you spend the evening with us while you wait for a response to your message, which should be sometime tomorrow morning."

Harry, Hermione, and Ron looked at each other. A chance to clean up, eat, and rest was too good to turn down considering how hungry and tired they were.

"We accept, and I'll write the message," Hermione offered.

"Excellent! Parchment, quill and ink for the young lady." Stronan clapped his hands. "Bring Miss Jane her wand as well. She will want to seal the message personally."

While Hermione wrote a message to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley Harry noticed Stronan whisper something to one of his men. The only thing he managed to hear was that Naheem was to take five men with him and that someone named Azizi could not go with them.

A while later Harry and Ron were waiting on Hermione.

"You know I'm really starved. What's keeping Hermione?"

"I'm starved too but you should know how girls are by now. You've got a sister."

"Yeah," Ron said glumly as his stomach growled loudly. "I hope everyone is all right. I didn't get a good look when we took off, did you?"

A pang of guilt went through Harry. Ever since they had entered the Jaharu every waking moment had been spent focused on survival. He honestly hadn't given it much thought. But now the vivid memory of seeing Mrs. Weasley falling from the big carpet and Ginny in a power dive to save her came flooding back. It was the last thing he had seen. He couldn't bring himself to tell Ron.

"Last I saw there were two Death Eaters headed their way. Between Adofo, Abasi, your dad and mum, and not forgetting Ginny, I don't think two Death Eaters would stand a chance." Ron seemed satisfied and relaxed on a large soft red cushion taking a large drink of water as Hermione walked in. She was wearing traditional desert robes of white and blue. Her long head scarf was draped about her shoulders, not covering her head but showing off her plentiful brown curls. She still looked tired but looked like she felt much better. Harry and Ron had been given new robes as well with white headdress and black cords instead of turbans. But they, like Hermione, had decided not to wear them unless they went outside.

"You two clean up well," she said.

"Was your bath as big as a small pool like ours?" Harry asked.

"Yes, and it was heavenly," she sighed. "But I thought I heard Ron's stomach growl so I pried myself away," she teased.

Stronan arrived within minutes. He introduced his youngest son Azizi, a curious and energetic boy. He gave regret that Naheem was detained and might not be back for several hours. He said he had an eldest son, Khalfani, who was away on business matters and that he also had a daughter, Tadra who would join them soon but they would begin without her.

As they seated themselves on cushions around a long low table Harry had to admit he was hungry enough to eat most anything. The biscuits they had hurriedly devoured earlier were a distant memory. A servant tapped the table with his wand and everything appeared as though they were back at Hogwarts. With no pretense to manners the three dug in immediately. Ron shoveled in the food as Hermione tried to chide him with nearly a full mouth herself. Witnessing such a scene Harry nearly snorted with his own mouth full and quickly grabbed a napkin. He really didn't have a clue as to what half of the things were they were eating, and didn't care. At one point they all three started eating the same thing and Ron choked out "I think we're eating . . ." Harry and Hermione said together, "I don't want to know." Ron shrugged and kept on eating as well.

Harry couldn't ever remember food tasting so good. Servants would fill their cups, take away empty dishes and move new ones closer within reach. At one point Harry noted that Ron who was usually a big eater was truly outdoing himself. He had already eaten twice as much as Harry and was munching away on some sort of leafy green salad, stuffing his mouth to overcapacity with a green piece still hanging out. Harry had just tasted something spicy hot and was about to push it away but decided it wasn't that bad and have more even though it was warming him all over.

A servant girl filled Ron's cup as Ron nodded his head in thanks, glanced at her, and did a double take. Wearing a long headscarf like the other women servants, she was about their age, stunningly beautiful with dark skin and coal dark eyes. She gave Ron a smile as he stared back at her. His mouth was still very full and the green leaf hanging out wiggled each time he slowly chewed. Entranced by the girl who had just filled his cup he only stared. Her smile broadened every time Ron chewed. She was obviously trying not to laugh as she glanced over at Harry who wiped his perspiring forehead as he continued to eat his spicy dish. Her eyes widened.

"Tadra! There you are. Come here daughter. Silly girl, there are servants to do that," he laughed.

Tadra handed her pitcher to a nearby servant, quickly made her way over to her father and whispered in his ear. She sat beside him and lowered her headscarf revealing long silken black hair. Harry found himself staring at Stronan's daughter along with Ron. Hermione ribbed them both, which made Ron finally suck in and swallow the green leaf that had threatened to become a new appendage.

Stronan seemed to be deep in thought and then asked his daughter.

"Are you sure?"

"Yes father."

Stronan looked upon his three guests with renewed amazement, especially Harry.

"My son Azizi has been anxious to ask you many questions but I have insisted he refrain while you were all enjoying your meal. Now however, I find I would like to ask one myself. You gave your name as James but are you Harry Potter?" Stronan looked directly at Harry.

"James is my middle name."

"And your companions?"

"This is Hermione Jane Granger and Ron Weasley."

Stronan looked amuzed but pleased.

"Bless the desert sand and Merlin's beard. I am honored Mr. Potter. I now see your reluctance to say who you really are. Chased into the desert by Death Eaters, and then miraculously surviving. You wanted to be sure whether you were among friend or foe. Rest assured, you are among friends. You may have noticed that only my family and trusted guard are allowed to have wands and weapons in my presence. It is my wish that you do as well." Stronan clapped his hands. "Bring them their wands and knife." Stronan continued after their wands, and Ron's knife, were returned to them. "Your encounter with the lion-dog now sounds credible, but -"

"Did you really see a lion-dog Harry Potter? Are you really the Harry Potter? Have you seen Voldemort face to face? How many Death Eaters have you killed? Mmmmph -

"Azizi," Stronan frowned.

Tadra had pulled her little brother over and clamped her hand over his mouth stifling any further questions that threatened to pour out. Azizi got the hint and wrested loose from his sister and pouted with a tight jaw.

"It would seem the dam has burst. My apologies," Stronan said grinning.

"Yes, I'm really Harry Potter and all three of us saw this lion-dog as you call it. It nearly got me though. It managed to claw me when it fell into a glass pit. And if it hadn't been for Hermione and Ron I would have fell in with it."

"You saw a Gandren? Was it a big one? And it got the lion-dog?" Azizi clamped his mouth shut as Tadra started to pull on his arm.

"I didn't know it was called a Gandren and I don't know if it was a big one or not. But it did get the lion-dog. We are evidently grateful to the Gandren then. And I've never killed a Death Eater or anyone for that matter, but I would if I have to." It briefly crossed his mind that one day he would face Voldemort and either kill or be killed. "And . . . I have seen Voldemort's rebirth," he said grimly.

"I too have seen Voldemort, though it was many years ago." A darkness fell over Stronan's face as he recalled. "I was left for dead or they intentionally let me live. Either way, I watched as he gave the order to have my Lisha killed - my first wife. I was helpless to do anything. I shall never forget those red evil eyes." Stronan had raised a shaking fist clenched in rage.

"Papa?" Azizi said fearfully.

"I - I've never heard you speak of this father."

"What's this? Ah, forgive me Azizi, Tadra." The arm that had been raised in fury relaxed and tenderly pulled his son and daughter in an embrace. "It would be best not to mention this to Naheem or Khalfani. They know only that their mother was killed by Death Eaters. Their hatred of Voldemort and his followers burns hot enough. Let us not add wind to the flames. Besides the one who carried out Voldemort's orders has been dealt with, some fifteen years ago." Stronan looked at Harry. "You can see why news of Voldemort is of keen interest to me and it had been my hope he was gone forever the night your parents were killed. Not long ago I read you witnessed the death of a fellow classmate at his rebirth. I wanted you to know you are not alone in your loss to this vile monster."

Harry felt a lump in his throat and only nodded.

"As I was about to say earlier. It is Mr. Weasley that is the most difficult to believe of all the things you have said. If indeed he has been stung by the giant scorpion, he should be dead. There is no known antidote. Plus killing one, armed with only a single knife?"

"Well, we didn't use the knife. We used our -"

Naheem and five men entered the tent, hot and dusty having just come in from the desert. Naheem carried an ornate and slender silver box.

"It is true my father. We found a giant scorpion, but how it was killed is a mystery. One side of it was burned and charred. The other side was rotted and turning to dust. No magic could be performed there."

"Indeed! Truly amazing. But it would seem you owe Harry Potter and his friends an apology Naheem."

"Harry Potter?" Naheem jerked his head toward Harry and blinked. "Please accept my apologies, all of you. My father has often encouraged me to exercise patience and speak with more thought." He bowed to the three.

"Er, apology accepted. But really, it's quite understandable."

"Harry's right. It does sound far fetched when you think about it."

"No problem."

"Thank you." Naheem looked relieved but then straightened as if to say something important and held out the silver box. "To the victors, the stinger of the giant scorpion." He moved closer and sat the box on the table in front of them.

Hermione threw her arms back in a protective motion toward Harry and Ron on either side of her and stood up, forcing them to do the same. There was a hushed silence that followed. All eyes were on Hermione and her solid grey eyes.

"Isis," a servant girl whispered and dropped to her knees.

"Lady Ast? Isis returned? We have heard rumors but -" Stronan marveled at Hermione. "Yes, now it rings true. Legend says Isis had the ability to heal the sting of the scorpion. The stinger is yours to do with as you see fit."

"We don't want it," Hermione said rigidly.

"Would you and your family like to keep it?" Harry asked.

"We would be honored." Stronan looked pleased.

Naheem took the box away. Hermione relaxed and sat back down, Harry and Ron did the same. Her eyes returned to their normal brown. Hermione looked annoyed and motioned for the servant girl who had dropped to her knees to get up. Hermione gave a big yawn that was contagious to Harry and Ron who also yawned in turn.

"Ah, you are all tired. Understandably so. Please, rest. We will have a feast this evening in your honor and we would all like to here more of your amazing adventure across our sacred desert."

Far from the desert village of the Beladasan a lone carpet sailed through the darkening desert. Its only rider barely keeping consciousness. Bloodied, beaten, no wand, and riding a stolen carpet, Khalfani's wand had been destroyed to make his escape.

'I must warn father. There is a doppelganger amongst the servants. I must warn him.' Ignoring the pain he stroked the carpet with his broken hand, urging more speed. 'Fly carpet, fly.'

Harry woke with a start. In his mind he was still in the desert. Once he realized he was looking up at lamp lit tent ceiling it came back to him. He recalled the many colorful tents, the men and women walking about, and children playing as they were brought into the village on flying carpet. Harry relaxed, closed his eyes and considered going back to sleep.

"Oy, Harry, don't go back to sleep. We've got a feast to go to remember? And I'm starved."

"How can you possibly be hungry? You ate more than Hermione and me put together. - Well, now that I'm awake, something to eat does sound good. Let's find Hermione."

They left their sleeping quarters and were nearly run over by a young boy.

"A thousand pardons," he grinned. "Everyone in the village is most anxious for our guests of honor to arrive. I would be most honored if I could sit at the feast beside two so brave as yourselves."

"Azizi, right? I don't mind but Hermione usually sits between us."

"I hadn't given it much thought Harry, but you're right. I swear it's been that way since the three of us became friends first year."

Azizi looked torn with indecision. Harry almost grinned wondering if the problem was that Azizi didn't care to sit next to a girl.

"Harry Potter, I would like very much to sit beside you at the feast. If you do not mind. Tadra, my sister, can sit beside you Ron Weasley. If you do not mind."

Harry looked past Azizi and watched Hermione and Tadra approach.

"Azizi, my brother, what mischief are you up to? Do I detect a desire to show off to the other boys of the village by sitting next to Harry Potter? Further, Ron Weasley may not wish -"

"I don't mind, I don't mind at all," Ron said giving a charming smile to Tadra.

"Thank you, Ron Weasley. I would be most honored." Tadra gave him a short bow.

"Come, come, let us go to the feast." Azizi gave a sweeping motion with his arms as if to herd everyone along. "The feast is being held in father's tent. Maybe you will not have to leave so soon tomorrow. Then you could watch the Quidditch match."

"Quidditch?" Harry and Ron said together.

"Yes, there is a big game tomorrow. But we play on carpets, not brooms."

"Really? That would be something to watch."

"Yes, it would," agreed Harry.

Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Only if we don't have to leave right away. After everything we've been through I think I'm ready to go home. It all depends on what the message says tomorrow."

Harry and Ron agreed but the looks on their faces said they were intrigued with the idea of watching Quidditch played on flying carpets. Suddenly Harry had another thought and it wasn't about Quidditch. It was what news might come in the message tomorrow and it was now too much for him to keep to himself. If there was bad news about Mrs. Weasley he wanted someone else to be prepared. He caught Hermione's eye and slowed his pace as they walked. She did the same.

"What's the matter?" she asked in a hushed voice.

Harry rapidly whispered the last thing he had seen as they fled into the desert. Hermione stopped wide eyed putting her hand to her mouth to cover a gasp.

"Do you think she's . . . Oh Harry," she said in an anxious whisper.

Harry motioned for them to keep walking so as not to be overly conspicuous.

"I don't know. All I know is that if something bad has happened, Ron may need both of us." He swallowed hard at the thought. He had said the words to Hermione bravely enough but couldn't actually embrace the possibility, he couldn't. Mrs. Weasley had been the closest person to being a mother to him. He and Hermione picked up pace to catch up to the three in front of them as Azizi excitedly chattered away.

The cool desert air was pleasant as they made the short walk to Stronan's big tent. As the five of them came closer it sounded as if the entire village was inside. Harry was sure the inside of the tent was magicked larger to hold everyone. When they were close enough they could smell the aroma of fine food wafting out the tent door and the three guests of honor paused breathing deeply and smiling before entering.

A feast fit for royalty greeted them along with Stronan's lavish introduction. It was good the three of them were able to take turns eating and telling different parts of their adventure through the desert, the crowd couldn't seem to get enough. The crowd gasped at each telling of a near death encounter and lauded their narrow escapes. At one point Hermione was telling how Harry had risked his life to save them from the lion-dog, nearly getting himself killed in the process, her voice quavered as she recalled how he had disappeared over the rim of the Gandren's trap.

Several from the crowd shouted out about the mark of the beast appearing after three days. Harry admitted it had been just about seventy-two hours and was encouraged to lift his shirt to show everyone the claw marks. He shrugged and lifted his shirt, and was surprised as everyone went silent. Wondering what was wrong he looked down to see six neon blue scratches across his chest. The crowd recovered with oo's and awe's and then chanted his name making him feel self-conscious and he quickly dropped his shirt.

Ron got into telling the story about the giant scorpion and being stung by it. A story that he couldn't actually recall but told with zeal and a bit of exaggeration. He even pulled the neck of his shirt down low in front showing a round red spot where it had stung him. The desert village people were not entirely convinced that this could be possible. A half dozen or so began saying that no one lives from the sting of the giant scorpion pointing out that Tadra and Azizi's mother had died from such a sting. Azizi stood up and proclaimed Ron was telling the truth.

"It is true my people. Ron Weasley lives only because Hermione Granger is Isis returned. My brother Naheem has brought back the stinger of the great scorpion as proof. She and Harry Potter have killed it in some strange way."

Naheem then recounted how he had found the great scorpion in a part of the desert where no magic could be performed.

There was still a great deal of skepticism among the people. Stronan then asked Hermione if she would mind if they brought out the box that contained the stinger and open it in front of her. She grudgingly consented and the box was brought out and opened. Of course her eyes turned solid grey bringing shouts of praise accompanied with chants of Isis. Harry hadn't seen the box opened earlier and took opportunity to look at the long narrow stinger with a small hole at the tip where the poison was injected into the victim. It was ebony black with streaks of amber as it glistened with deadly promise in the lamp light. Hermione looked relieved when it was taken away.

A great deal of speculation abounded as to how Harry and Hermione had managed to kill the scorpion with just their wands in a part of the desert where magic did not work. The most common suggestion was that their wands did indeed work but only briefly because the boundaries of the Jaharu are not rigid and are known to move unpredictably. As the friendly debate raged on, Hermione put her hand on Harry's as she drew out her wand with the other, and aimed it at Stronan.

"Wingardium Leviosa." Immediate and shocked silence filled the tent as Hermione levitated a grape from Stronan's hand. A grape that he was about to eat. It must have been a severe breach of protocol as Stronan's trusted guards started to move forward but Stronan put up his hands to stop them. "You don't want to eat that one Stronan Beladasan. It's poisoned." Hermione lowered the levitated grape to the table in front of Stronan.

A quick glance at Hermione's eyes told Harry it was true and time seemed to slow as his awareness heightened. It was a feeling that something more was going on, that something was wrong. Harry struggled to wrap his mind around it. Someone had just tried to poison Stronan Beladasan, the leader of this village. But there was more, there was something wrong and it was nearby. Harry invoked his training, relaxing and focusing his emotions. A movement in the silent crowd caught Harry's keen eye. A servant woman who had mainly kept far toward the back was reaching into her sleeve. Harry felt a brief surge of warmth from Hermione's hand but didn't have time to give it thought. He was already reacting on instinct. He and Hermione cast simultaneous stunning spells at the woman.

"Stupefy!" But the woman only jerked as the spells hit her and she remained standing and didn't fall to the ground as expected. Her gaze was focused on Stronan, as the woman now drew a wand out of her sleeve.

"STUPEFY!" Harry, Hermione and Ron said together, casting another round of stunning spells as Stronan's guards drew out their own wands to aim at the woman. The three combined stunning spells made the woman pause only slightly as a weird dual high-pitched-guttural sound emitted from her.

It was happening too fast, even with Harry's heightened awareness that made everything move in slow motion. Stronan's guards were casting their own spells as others moved to shield Stronan. But Harry feared it wouldn't be enough. He also surmised the woman may not be human. She had already taken five rapid fire stunning spells. He couldn't use an explosive spell. There were too many people near by. Dumbledore's words from his lessons of wandless magic came to him.

'As every other witch or wizard needs to cast a spell by wand you and I need only to think it. Make no mistake though, the wand does enhance our magical ability.'

Harry reached deep within and focused casting a spell without incantation. A blue streak of light shot out of his wand and hit the woman in the midsection before she had finished casting her own spell. Her head, legs and arms dropped to the ground with one hand still clutching a wand. The rest of her burnt up in a flash of purple light and blue smoke.

Numbing silence engulfed everyone. However, several delayed screams erupted from the crowd followed by children crying. Women and children dispersed from the tent but a number of men remained as more of Stronan's guards arrived

"Oh god, I've killed someone. What if it was the Imperious Curse and she was innocent?" Harry barely whispered. Hermione's hand tightened over his.

"Father," a voice croaked from the tent doorway. "Doppelganger . . ." The person collapsed.

"Khalfani!" Tadra screamed. Tadra, Azizi and Naheem sprang up and ran to where a guard had caught Khalfani and gently laid him on the floor.

"He is alive sire," the guard said with relief. "He has been beaten and may suffer broken bones. A healer is needed, but he will live."

Stronan slid an ornate metal rod back into his sleeve as he gave orders to his men. Four guards were pointing there wands warily at the woman's remains on the tent floor when the body parts turned black and started oozing green slime.

"Ah! Doppelganger! Black magic!"

"Harry Potter destroyed a doppelganger," said one of the guards in awe.

"They are nearly indestructible until they've killed their intended target. That's when they die and rot away."

Stronan turned to his guests.

"Forgive me. There are things I must attend to. My servants will take you to another tent. I shall return when I can."

Just before they were led away.

"Say, is any of that coming with us?" Ron pointed to a good portion of the feast left behind.

▪▪

"What kind of spell was that Harry?" Ron asked as he continued stuffing his face.
"I don't know. It just seemed like the right thing to do," Harry said weakly.

"You don't look so good mate. What's wrong?" Ron stuffed a huge helping of something in his mouth and gave a great swallow. His appetite seemed insatiable.

"Can't you tell? He thought he might have killed a real person back there."

"Nah, it wasn't a real person. It was a doppelcanker, or something er other. Didn't you hear the guards say it wasn't human Harry?

"Doppelganger," Hermione corrected Ron. "And we're lucky Harry was able to do it in. They're not supposed to be easy to kill."

"Come on Harry, eat something. You'll feel better."

"Maybe Ron's right. At least try to drink something."

Stronan entered the tent with four guards in tow. He looked relieved.

"My friends! My friends! I owe you a great debt. Hermione Granger you have saved my life from being poisoned. I am most grateful." Stronan gave a deep bow. "And you Harry Potter have saved my life, and the lives of my family. The doppelganger was likely instructed to kill me as well as all my children. My house is yours." Stronan gave another deep bow.

A swarm of fluttering moths entered the tent. A half dozen guards, with wands drawn, stood at the doorway watching intently.

"Please, pay them no mind. The moths are a security measure making sure there are no other doppelgangers in our village."

The fluttering moths circled the tent and left with the guards following.

"A healer, or as you might say - a Mediwizard, is tending to my son. I am most anxious to speak with him when he regains consciousness. Much has happened this evening. Most regrettable to happen during the feast in your honor." Stronan paused in thought. "Most impressive Harry Potter. Few spells are capable of destroying a Doppelganger."

"Harry took special lessons from our Headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, last year," Hermione interjected, quickly covering for Harry.

"Yes, yes. Though I have never met him, Albus Dumbledore is well known. He was wise to teach you such a powerful spell. A Doppelganger is -."

"Created using black magic and the shadow of a living person cast during a full moon resulting in an exact duplicate of that person. The doppelganger's sole purpose of existence is to destroy the person who's image it bears. However, I do not understand how a doppelganger can be instructed to kill someone else."

"Very good Hermione Granger, I am impressed. The doppelganger can be programmed to kill someone else if the original is killed in the process of its creation, leaving its only purpose of existence ready to be filled. Which regrettably means my servant is dead. A doppelganger is a nearly perfect assassin." Stronan lapsed into thought once more.

"Azizi mentioned you have a Quidditch game tomorrow," Ron said before he took a big drink of pumpkin juice.

"Yes, a friendly game against another Bedouin village. A game that our village would surely have won but now will likely lose. Two players have become ill and their replacements are not nearly as skilled. Tadra is most interested in being a replacement but I will not allow her to play."

"You know, Harry and I -," Ron started to say.

"Why not? Women can play just as well as men." Hermione inquired innocently. An innocent look that Harry knew was anything but innocent.

"Yes, and Tadra is most skilled. But our friendly game of Quidditch is -How shall I say it? A bit more intense than what is usual. There are seven hundred ways to be fouled in standard Quidditch. There are only fifty in our version. It is more risk of abuse than I, as a father, can tolerate on my only daughter."

"I was about to say earlier that Harry and I play Quidditch," Ron continued.

"I surmised as much by the quality of your brooms. Hermione Granger, you play Quidditch as well?"

"No, I only have a nice broom because of Harry."

Stronan gave a nod to Hermione and continued with Ron.

"However Ron Weasley, we play Quidditch on flying carpet."

"Any rules against playing on broom?" Ron asked taking a big bite of roast beef.

"I . . . don't believe there is. Do I understand you are offering to play for our village? You Ron Weasley and Harry Potter?"

Finally, Harry caught on and wasn't looking pale anymore. The thought of having an excuse to fly a broom was just what he wanted.

"Yes, we would," Harry said enthusiastically.

"Let me remind you both again. We don't know whether we'll be staying tomorrow or not. It all depends on the message we get in the morning."

"Hermione Granger is quite right. Please, eat more or retire for the night. I have a number of pressing matters to attend to. We will discuss this again in the morning."

Azizi appeared at the doorway of the tent, looking anxious.

"Father, Khalfani is awake and wishes to speak to you."

▪▪

Khalfani's face was less swollen but still showed dark bruises. The sight of his son looking this way gripped his heart and then made his blood boil toward those responsible. Now that Khalfani was awake he would find out who they were.

"Father, I thought I would never see you again. Tadra, Naheem and Azizi tried to tell me what happened here tonight but I needed to tell you what I know. It is for your ears only and I sent them away. I was betrayed and captured. They had no intent to let me live except long enough to receive word of your death. I destroyed my wand to kill my four captors. How was the doppelganger destroyed?"

"Harry Potter destroyed it with a spell I have never seen used before."

"Harry Potter? Here?"

"Yes, with two companions. And do not be troubled about the loss of your wand. Harry Potter and his friends have also given us a giant scorpion stinger. Yes, I too was doubtful at first but it seems Harry Potter and his friends have crossed the sacred desert. It would seem Harry Potter leads a charmed life and is destined to become a great wizard. There is much at work here. Many paths have intersected this day. Now however, if you know the name of the one who would attempt to destroy us. Please speak it my son." Stonan leaned close as Khalfani whispered the name.

"Traitorous dog! No doubt he has aligned himself with Voldemort. How else would he have a doppelganger at his disposal?" Stronan paced the tent floor in anxious thought. "I see now that Tadra is in danger. I had hoped . . . No, it was a false hope."

"Why is Tadra in danger father?"

"Arrangements were underway. Now, however . . . I will consult the oracle. I may have to make an unpopular decision concerning your sister. There are possibilities of things I must know. I have little time to discuss this now and you need your rest my son. One day you will be leader in my place and understand that family and friends are our most precious possessions."

"I do understand father. My heart goes with you as my hope your decision will not be too painful."

Stronan looked relieved at his son's trust and faith but he also looked ready to shoulder a heavy burden.

An old withered hand rested upon a crystal ball. An old voice spoke from behind blind eyes, white with heavy cataracts.

"You will place your daughter in harms way, Stronan Beladasan. The future is not a certainty as I have said many times. It takes no seer as myself to understand dark times are once again upon us. The only certainty is the clash of good and evil."

"My daughter is a survivor, a Beladasan." Stronan tossed a small bag of gold next to the blind seer who's hands feebly felt around and found it. Stronan left the lone tent in the desert on his flying carpet as the desert dawn approached. His heart was heavy but his mind was determined as he felt the tiredness of being awake all night with many important things to ponder. He knew he would need a cup of his strongest coffee to see him through this day. He only hoped that Naheem and especially Azizi, would understand. He hoped Tadra would have faith in his decision as he had faith in her. Memories of a little girl growing up drifted through a father's heart.

Sitting around a low table on the tent floor, the message they had been waiting for arrived during breakfast. Hermione volunteered to read it even though the recognition spell placed on the message would have allowed Harry or Ron just as well. She gave Harry a look as he started to protest. Ron didn't particularly care who read it. He was busily trying to eat more for breakfast than he had eaten the previous night at the feast. Hermione's hands shook as she unfurled the parchment. Harry's teeth were clenched and his palms began to sweat. He watched Hermione's face intently as she furrowed her brow in concentration, her eyes darting back and forth in rapid movement and then suddenly stopping . . . and then closing.

Hermione gave a great sigh of relief.

"Your mum's alright Ron. She'll have to keep her arm in a sling for a few more days and maybe use a cane for another two weeks. Other than that, everyone's fine." Hermione and Harry were visibly relieved. In fact, Harry sank back into a large cushion behind him.

Ron started in with a lot of rapid fire questions. Harry came clean and told him what he had seen just before they made their break for the desert.

"You should have told me Harry."

"Maybe I should have. But I was more concerned about our survival than what may, or may not have happened."

"Would you have told Fred or George if you had been in Harry's place? Knowing that every moment in the Jaharu needed our full attention to survive, without the added burden of concern and worry?"

"I -," Ron hesitated at Hermione's question, and it was a telling hesitation. However, Ron was defiant. "Yes, I would have. And how long have you known? She's my mum and he tells you before me."

"Harry told me last night before the feast."

Harry suddenly dreaded seeing Hermione having a go at Ron in his defense. Thankfully she was holding back because she could tell Ron's feelings were exposed just as easily as he could. Stronan's appearance was a welcome diversion.

"And what of your message my most honored guests? Will you grace us with your presence another day?"

"We will," Hermione said without hesitation, also glad of the diversion. "Our friends and Ron's family understand you are a man to be trusted." Stronan gave a short bow. "There is also a message for you from Akila Thema." Stronan raised an eyebrow in surprise as Hermione handed him a smaller roll of parchment that had been inside the original message. He read the message slowly as if in reverence from whom the message came. He looked deep in thought as he rolled up the message and tucked it into his robe.

"I did not realize," he started to say. "But I see now that I should have. Regardless, arrangements will be made for your departure this evening to a safe place. Ron Weasley's family will meet you the next day to take you home. Now, does this mean that Harry Potter and Ron Weasley are still offering to play Quidditch for our humble village? Our team captain, would be most interested in seeing your skill."

"Yes," Harry and Ron said together. Hermione only smiled.

▪▪

It felt wonderful to be on his broom again. Warm dry desert air whipped about his face as Harry sailed through the air. His gaze was ever searching for the Snitch as he circled above the players and the crowd below. He wore a lightweight Quidditch uniform of purple and gold as the other team's players wore sky-blue and silver. The uniform was lightweight and lacked the padding he was used to and the reason for the lightness was obviously the desert heat. However, less padding made the roughness of the game that much more brutal. Maybe more so because of the way the Bedouin played. The strangeness of seeing so many flying carpets didn't bother him at all. The practice session they had just after breakfast this morning helped tremendously. Stronan had given the impression that the team captain, Madu, would be glad to see them. Actually he wasn't at all pleased with the idea of having foreigners with brooms on his team. Madu warned Harry and Ron that they would be spared no roughness because the other team would not. Madu changed his mind about Harry after watching him perform complex maneuvers and a breathtaking dive. Naturally Harry took up position of Seeker, shifting their current seeker to Chaser. Ron had tried the Chaser position and then the Keeper position. Not doing so well as a Chaser he did much better as Keeper and earned the entire team's respect at how well he handled the roughness of play.

"I don't get it Harry. First years can play tougher. I think they're holding back."

Harry didn't know what to make of Ron's comment because they were playing rough as far as he could tell, especially with the kicks and body slams, but he was glad to see Ron accepted as Keeper.

Currently he was searching vainly for the Snitch. It was much harder to spot with all the sand in the background. Harry also noticed that all the players were full grown men not teenagers as he and Ron were. It was all very different than playing back at Hogwarts except for his opposite on the other team who was constantly badgering him. It vaguely reminded him of Malfoy and his incessant harassment. Except that this guy didn't know what got under Harry's skin. He seemed to think calling Harry a liar about crossing the Jaharu and seeing a lion-dog would make him angry. Badgering the opposing player was a tactic to make them play less than their full performance. A tactic Harry felt was beneath him and one he wasn't falling for. Harry gathered that the opposing team's Seeker hadn't heard the entire story or would have mentioned the mark of the beast as well, and probably didn't know who Harry really was. In the player introductions everyone in the Beladasan team had referred to him as James, and Ron caught on quickly.

Harry stole a quick glance down at Ron in front of the goals. He was holding his own but was still letting the Quaffle get by more often than Madu cared for. Harry could hear Madu yelling at Ron over the noise of the spectating crowd below.

"Put some effort into it! Use your head!" Madu yelled.

No sooner had Madu yelled his suggestion than an opposing team Beater whacked a Bludger and sent it sailing at Ron's head. It hit Ron squarely in the side of the head scooting him sideways several meters, broom and all. But he didn't fall off.

"Oww!" he screamed and punched his fist at the Bludger sending it soaring skyward.

Harry's jaw dropped and he came to a complete stop as Ron let loose a steady stream of profanity. In fact, both teams had come to a stand still listening to Ron expunge a profuse stream of fluent vulgarity. Harry had to admit Ron certainly knew how to swear and it was easy enough to hear him over a hushed crowd. The other team captain shouted something in his native tongue at the referee who blew on his whistle signaling for both teams to gather on the sandy pitch below. Harry flew quickly around to Ron as they descended.

"Ron are you all right?"

"Oh sure, you try being hit in the head by a Bludger," he said sarcastically rubbing the side of his head, and then mumbling obscenities.

"That's just the point Ron. You should be out cold and in need of a Mediwizard."

Harry's words sank in making Ron look confused as he continued rubbing the side of his reddening face. Instead of a fractured scull, it looked as if he had only been slapped in the face.
"He has a wand! He's using magic! He should be evicted from the game!" yelled the other team captain.

"Stronan, our leader, has vouched for this player. He has not cheated and their team has fouled, deliberately hitting a Bludger at our Keeper," retorted Madu in defiance, although he gave Ron a doubting glance.

The referee pulled out a wand and pointed it at Ron. "Accio wand." Nothing happened. He then pulled out a thin rod, running it up and down all around Ron.

"Foul, Sigeal village," the referee said indifferently. A good portion of the crowd cheered wildly as some shouted about a bad call and cheating.

"Be ready to play," the referee yelled above the noise. He raised his arm, ready to blow his whistle as everyone readied to take flight. Madu gave a manic grin and nodded to Ron.

The Sigel Seeker, who looked to be in his mid twenties, took opportunity to hassle Harry before play continued.

"My father was killed by a lion-dog. You a mere boy, yet you claim to have seen one and lived. You are Jaukaw Deshin."

Harry stiffened. He knew the other Seeker had given him a severe insult. Harry was sure it would have meant more to him if he had grown up in this place. The other Seeker gave an evil smile in anticipation as several players who had heard the insult looked on.

"You must have heard wrong. I didn't just see one. I killed one with nothing but a knife," Harry said nonchalantly. He didn't see any reason to expound on the fact that a Gandren had ultimately done the job.

Several players scoffed as their carpets lifted off the ground.

"Next he'll say he's Harry Potter," said a Sigeal Beater.

"Or that he carries the mark of the beast," laughed the Seeker.

"Yes, I do carry the mark of the Beast," Harry said matter of fact as he soared high into the sky in search of the Snitch once more.

Harry was beginning to appreciate the differences in flying a carpet as opposed to a broom. Flying a carpet let a player use both hands continuously. Whereas flying a broom meant keeping one hand on the broom for control most of the time. Having two free hands was a great advantage in play. But Harry noticed a difference in flying a carpet. They always banked into a turn keeping their momentum firmly planted against the carpet. With a broom you could bank to the inside as well as to the outside because a player flying a broom could hold on. It was also easier to make pinpoint turns on a broom for the same reason.

The Sigeal Seeker made a circling path that crossed near Harry then made a sudden change in direction and took off quickly. Harry's instinctive reaction was to head in the same direction assuming he had seen the Snitch and was in hot pursuit. When Harry came up along side him, frantically looking for the Snitch Harry assumed he had seen, the Siegeal Seeker made a hard bank sideways next to Harry. The result was the back of his flying carpet whipping Harry upside the head. If not for some wandless magic Harry would have surely lost his glasses. Harry had fallen for a feigned sighting of the Snitch and felt warm around the collar. He would be more suspecting in the future.

Several times Harry or the Siegeal Seeker had pursued the actual Snitch, eliciting frenzied cheers from the crowd followed by disappointed groans as the Snitch evaded capture.

Harry circled low and looked up toward the deep blue eastern sky. A glint of gold caught his eye and he found himself in a familiar situation. The opposing Seeker was closer than he was and if he saw it he would surely beat Harry to it. Harry turned his broom toward the Siegeal Seeker and started tugging at his Quidditch uniform pulling his top off and tossed it rolling over and over toward the sand below. Now shirtless he flew up to the Siegeal Seeker whose gaze was now transfixed upon six neon-blue claw marks on Harry's chest. Harry aimed his broom just to the left of the man's right ear and took off like a bullet. A moment later the Snitch was fluttering in Harry's tightly clasped hand.

Hermione had watched Harry peel off his uniform top and let it drop to the sand below. And then watched in amazement as he caught the Snitch moments later. Tadra, Azizi and Naheem yelled in triumph. Stronan's only reaction was to nod looking pleased.

"Why did Harry Potter take off his shirt?" Azizi asked.

"The marks," Hermione started to explain.

"Of the Beast," Tadra gestured with a clawed hand. Azizi suddenly realized what Harry had done and laughed uncontrollably.

"This must have been an important game," Hermione commented to Tadra as Azizi continued to laugh.

"Yes, Hermione Granger, very important. There are five village leaders Zaim Omari, Wajih Sayyid, Sharif Malik, Chatha Sigeal and my father. My father is leader of them all. My father's leadership was challenged by Chatha. He is the one wearing the sky-blue headdress with silver cord." Tadra nodded in the direction of four important looking men seated on the other side of Tadra's father. "The outcome of this game was to decide leadership of the five. Because of Harry Potter, my father's position is secured. But treachery has been involved. Two of our players became grievously ill just before the game. There was also the attempt on father's life by poison. Again I thank you Hermione Granger. Then finally the Doppelganger that was surely sent to kill everyone in my family including myself. We have you, Harry Potter, and Ron Weasley to thank for its destruction."

Hermione watched the Beladasan team touchdown as Tadra explained the importance of the game. She watched as Ron gave Harry his uniform top back and the team congratulated Harry and each other.

"Trust me when I say Harry was the one who really did it. Ron and I only helped slow it down."

"Nevertheless, I thank you again Hermione Granger."

The winning team was publicly honored and a short ceremony was held affirming Stronan's continued leadership. And of course what followed was another feast in celebration. Hermione couldn't exactly say she was sorry for another celebration but she was starting to feel anxious about heading home. And she was already starting to think about all the studying that needed to be done in preparation for their NEWTs. At least Stronan had told them they would be leaving this evening. Hermione cast a quick glance at the bright afternoon sky. 'Hopefully we'll set off before evening,' she thought to herself.

Another feast, and this one was a big one, as Stronan was hosting the other four neighboring villages as well. Harry was beginning to feel like he had eaten far too much the past two days but then again they had eaten nothing on their journey through the Jaharu. Still, Ron had eaten enough for almost four people since the Beladasan village had taken them in.

"My friends, noble leaders of the four. I wish to properly introduce and honor three newcomers."

Harry heard light laughter and saw many smiles in the crowd as servants brought out golden cups to Stronan and the other four leaders as well as to himself, Hermione and Ron.

"If there is one thing my village can do, it is keep a secret." Stronan smiled broadly as his chest swelled with pride. "Please stand." Stronan motioned for the trio to stand. "The three before us have crossed the Jaharu. A rare and remarkable feat. First I introduce Ron Weasley whom I believe to be the only person to ever survive the sting of the Giant Scorpion." Again, a large part of the crowd either gasped or scoffed in disbelief as the four nobles looked sideways at Stronan.

"Some of you may have heard the rumor that Isis has returned. I now give you Hermione Granger whom this rumor refers to - as Lady Ast. Whether or not the spirit of our beloved Isis has indeed returned through her I cannot say, but it would very much explain why Ron Weasley is alive. Legend says Lady Ast was given the ability to heal those stung by the scorpion.

And last, I present one who now carries the mark of the beast, the Jaukaw Deshin."

Stronan encouraged Harry to show the six neon-blue claw marks on his chest again. Stronan paused to let the rumble from the crowd die down just as he had when he introduced Hermione as Isis returned. Harry thought Stronan was delighted, savoring the reactions of the crowd and his fellow village leaders. Harry was glad to see he was sharing the celebrity attention with Hermione and Ron.

"You may wonder how I can believe such claims as made by these three. I too was skeptical until I learned this young man's name to be Harry Potter."

The crowd roared. Chatha Sigeal stood up in surprise but sat down as Stronan gave him a penetrating look. Stronan held up his golden cup and tapped it with his wand. Harry's cup filled from the bottom up and he lifted it to get a closer look at the liquid within. Hermione put out her hand to stop him and he gave her a quizzical look.

"Something wrong?" he asked quietly.

"Er, no. No, I guess not. But I think we're supposed to wait."

"Our finest wine made from the rare Desert Moon Flower that blooms only on the longest night of the year when the moon is full, which happens no less than every three decades. A toast to our three visitors, you will always be welcome among the magical Bedouin, live long and may your fortunes prosper."

The drink was light and cool. Harry swayed briefly but didn't feel any different except maybe relaxed.

Stronan looked satisfied with his introductions and toast, and then continued.

"Harry Potter, you have won the game that has kept my leadership intact and you have saved the lives of my family as well as my own. I have given a great deal of thought as how to show my gratitude. I have decided to give my daughter, Tadra, to you as wife."

The crowd applauded. Harry was stunned, it didn't make any sense. The reaction of Stronan's family was immediate as they turned and looked at their father. Azizi looked fearful and tugged at Tadra's sleeve as she shook her head to him in non-understanding. Naheem was initially surprised but now looked reserved. Chatha Sigeal had stood again, a look of stern protest upon his face.

Harry became aware of Ron saying something next to him.

"I - I don't think you should refuse. It - it could be considered an - an insult. D - Dumbledore will sort it all - out later."

"Harry, y - you can't. Y - You're not even of age," Hermione stuttered in his other ear.

Stronan looked toward Chatha and then to his own family.

"I do not make this decision lightly. I make it because I am leader of our people and it is my lawful right to make." Chatha sat down, although the look on his face clearly told of things to be spoken of later. Tadra took on a pose of compliance as Stronan addressed Harry.

"Do you accept, Harry Potter?"

"I - I'm not of legal age," Harry stuttered.

"You are sixteen years of age. You are of age here in the desert among the magical Bedouin." Without further discussion Stronan stood and motioned for Harry and Tadra to stand before him. Tadra paused as Naheem pried Azizi's hand from Tadra's robe. Tears welled in Azizi's eyes as Naheem put a comforting hand on his little brother's shoulder.

"You c-can't! A - a woman is - is n-not property - t-to be given away," Hermione stood up shaking and stuttering.

Stronan raised an eyebrow in surprise then looked grim and ominous.

"Because you have saved my life, Hermione Granger, I will overlook this insult."

Ron pulled Hermione back. Harry could hear Ron's stuttered whispering, pleading to Hermione that Dumbledore would straighten it all out. After Hermione grudgingly sat back down Stronan waved a silver looking wand at Tadra and her robe was transformed to pure white, the hem trimmed in soft blue.

It was as if Harry couldn't make a decision on his own. A very small voice was trying to make itself heard in the back of his mind but he couldn't get a grip on it. Here he was about to be married to someone he didn't even know and he couldn't make any sense of it. 'Ron's right, Dumbledore will straighten this out later. It'll all work out,' he kept telling himself as Tadra knelt before him and held out a silver medallion she pulled out from around her neck. There was some kind of image on one side but she turned it up to a side that was blank and bowed her head in obedient submission. Harry put out his wand and touched the medallion according to Stronan's instructions and repeated words of an incantation that Stronan was telling him. The medallion turned from silver to bronze with the image of a razor sharp lightning bolt forming on the side that had once been blank. The blue hem of Tadra's robe changed to a light red.

Harry heard a tremendous applause as everything seemed fuzzy in his mind. Stronan gave him a big hug and said something about a new son. Naheem with a strange look on his face bowed. Azizi, wiping tears, bowed only after Naheem nudged him.

A large carpet unfurled nearby. He and Tadra, along with Hermione and Ron seated themselves upon it. Stronan whispered a destination to Tadra and slipped her a piece of parchment. The carpet lifted with the four of them leaving the village quickly behind.