Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*** I know this is drawn out on getting Harry and Hermione together. But the story was started early and I promise they'll be together for the start of term next year. An easy promise to keep since that's what I've written ;) Besides I need the coming summer to put together the remaining pieces of my plot. J Hopefully this chapter will show the emotional turmoil still going on and a "tease" as to what is going on between Harry and Hermione - besides the obvious. ***

Hermione stopped in the corridor looking at Jim and Tim scrubbing the stone floor on their hands and knees. "Tsk, detention again? At this pace you'll surpass Fred and George. Speaking of Fred and George, I think you two should reconsider being test subjects for Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. Don't look so surprised. I've noticed how much time you've spent in the infirmary. I've also noticed…" Hermione glanced up and down the corridor, took a couple of steps closer to the now startled Bennets and spoke her next words more quietly. "You're also not the only ones that use the hidden passage ways. I don't know how you acquired the Marauder's Map but it was created in less dangerous times. There are things going on at Hogwarts that require the utmost discretion." A group of Hufflepuffs started to come down the other of the corridor toward them. "We'll talk more about this later. Just remember what I said." Hermione left the two shocked brothers. She had to admit it was funny to have caught them so off guard that they were unable to put on their innocent looks. She headed toward the Gryffindor common room listening to their fading chatter behind her as she suppressed a chuckle.

"Holy crap! Is there anything that Prefect Granger doesn't know? I'm beginning to think she would know what color underwear I had on."

"You wear colored underwear?"

"Of course not, you idiot."

"Hey, at least I'm not ugly like you…."

Study, study, study, seemed like that's all he got done lately. The way everyone talked you'd think the O.W.L exams were the end of the world. But Harry knew better. There was always Quidditch and the team was shaping up to be the best ever, giving confidence to Gryffindor House that the Quidditch Cup would be theirs once more.

"Day dreaming?"

"Maybe I was contemplating a difficult potion," Harry grinned as he turned to Hermione.

"More like day dreaming about the Quidditch Cup. No, I'm not psychic. The drawing on the corner of your parchment looks vaguely like the Quidditch Cup," Hermione teased.

"Oh….," Harry said sheepishly as Hermione smiled.

"Ready for this evening's lesson?"

"You bet. I'm looking forward to seeing Remus again."

"Me too, maybe he can help me with my concealment spell. I can only get it to work part of the time."

Harry grinned. "Bugs you doesn't it."

"You don't have any room to talk. You've cast it correctly only once and we really need to get this down." Wanting to change the subject, "Where's Ron?"

"He went to the kitchens to nick us a snack. All this studying was making us hungry."

"Good grief. Don't you two ever get enough to eat? Boys…. What's he bringing back?"

Before Harry could answer Hermione's attention was brought to a crowd gathering around Fred and George who had just put up an advertisement offering money for anyone willing to be test subjects for products they were trying to develop. Hermione put her foot down saying it was coming to a stop. The twins just looked smug and Harry wondered how she was going to accomplish it without going to the Head Girl or McGonagall. Harry had to choke back a snort when Hermione lowered the boom and said she would owl Mrs. Weasley if they didn't bring their testing on fellow students to an end. The twins looked like they had been thumped between the eyes.

Tonks was assisting Lupin with their lesson this time. The entire lesson was a review of everything they had learned previously. The real emphasis was put on mastering the concealment spell where Hermione's technique was adjusted and she was able to cast the spell most of the time. She was engrossed in details of the many variations of the spell with Tonks when Remus informed them.

"Harry has just performed a nearly perfect concealment spell. Even though we cannot see him or hear him, we all know he's on the other side of the open doorway to the bathroom. If you step up to the doorway you will find yourself forgetting that Harry is in there and the closer to the doorway you get you will start thinking of something else you need to do or someplace else you need to go." Hermione and Tonks were impressed but Ron looked envious. He had only managed to conceal sound with his spell with the one time it partially worked. Overall, it was a good lesson and toward the end, Hermione had another convenient excuse to leave at the same time Remus departed for the night. Tonks eyed the boys for not including Hermione in their dancing lesson, but shrugged it off and showed them a new dance move that was sure to be a hit at the Fall Dance.

Monday after classes found Harry and Ron out on the Quidditch Pitch taking a break watching Katie, Alicia and Angelina put the substitute Chasers through their paces after the main practice. The breeze was whipping at their scarlet Quidditch robes as they viewed the practice from their brooms. At least the wind wasn't as bad as the week before that were nearly at gale force. Harry figured the weather would be nearly perfect for the game on Sunday when they took on Slytherin. Harry took a quick look at the ground below them and saw Hermione in her regular spot in the stands watching them practice and doing homework. The wind was blowing her curly brown hair in all directions but the pages of the book she was reading were quite steady. Harry was sure she had used some magic to keep them from fluttering back and forth. As he looked back to see Alicia giving Mandy instructions on strategy for a Chaser a thought in Harry's head just popped out.

"I'm thinking about not going to the dance." Harry hadn't really meant to say it out loud and regretted it just as soon as the words had left his mouth.

"What? You're kidding right?" Ron turned is broom to face Harry. "First you turn down Cho, and now you're thinking about not going? What's up mate?"

"I - well - it was just a thought." Harry felt he had put himself on the spot and he couldn't very well tell Ron the real reason he didn't feel like going. Harry was ever so grateful when Ginny came sailing up and asked Harry to show her some dives that would be useful in catching a Snitch.

Ron had been pestering Harry as to why he didn't want to go to the dance and wasn't satisfied with Harry's non committal attitude as to whether he would, or wouldn't go. Ron had personally given up on trying to find out what was going on, but he had evidently switched to other tactics. Fred and George accosted Harry on the way down to the Halloween Feast.

"Oi, Harry. You're not really going to back out of the dance are you?"

"Especially after Ron's been carrying on about a new dance move you both seem to know. Been kind of a mystery to both of us how Ron knows how to dance in the first place." George rubbed his chin in thought. "Regardless, you don't want to try and come down with some illness."

"Yeah, it's so obvious. Madam Pomfrey always gets a sickly lot just before a big social event."

"Whatever is botherin' ya it's not as big of a problem as you think. Chin up and let's enjoy the feast."

'So much for that thought. I guess I'm not the only one to think of coming down with an illness.'

For Harry, the Halloween Feast was one of the more enjoyable events at Hogwarts. However, it was always followed by some private time, after everyone else had turned in for the night, their sugar highs finally abated. Harry sat in the middle of his four-poster bed with an album in his lap, the scarlet curtains drawn closed. It was close to midnight and he was feeling devoid of emotion. 'Maybe tonight I could….' Harry took out his wand. "Obumbro," he whispered. It worked, he had placed a concealment spell within his four-poster. To test it he said, "Ron, are you asleep?" No one stirred. His confidence rose and he shouted, "RON ARE YOU ASLEEP!" No one stirred. Finally he relaxed and a small door opened in the back of his mind as his hand shook opening the first page of his photo album. Fourteen years ago, about this very time, he had lost his parents. Lord Voldemort had killed them both and had tried to kill him too. The wizarding pictures of his parents smiled and waved gaily to him. The tears fell unabated and for the first time in a long time the sobs were not held back either.

Hermione woke up and listened. She thought she had heard someone crying but listen as intently as she might all she could hear was the breathing or occasional snores of the other girls in the dorm. 'Must have been a dream.' She went back to an unpeaceful sleep.

The Gryffindor Common room, not to mention the entire castle, was abuzz about the upcoming dance. Who was going to wear what, who was going with who, and how fantastic Silver and Lovefire were. The closer to the time of the dance the more depressed Harry was feeling. In fact, Harry had just about made up his mind that he wasn't going to go. But late the night before the Fall Dance Hermione caught Harry alone in the Common room.

"Ron told me that you may not go to the dance. Please Harry, come to the dance. This isn't easy for me either. No matter what happens or how all of this turns out, I want us to be friends. And that includes Ron. Besides, it was your idea that I say yes when he asked."

"I - sure - of course - I'll go," Harry stuttered. Harry felt like the bottom of his stomach had dropped out as Hermione gave him a weak smile, turned and headed off to the girls' dorm. He felt like kicking himself for insinuating that Hermione say yes to Ron. He was frustrated that Sirius wasn't able to help with the dilemma between himself and Hermione. He just wanted to scream. He reached out and grabbed a cushion from a nearby chair.

The entire day had been a futile attempt to study or concentrate. All the teachers were exasperated at everyone's inattentiveness; all the students' minds were on the upcoming dance. Now the dance was a little over an hour away. He looked in the mirror at his navy blue 2-button tuxedo with satin notch lapels. It had a non-vented coat-jacket and matching satin vest. Everything seemed to be in order except his bow tie. Ron was next to him having more difficulty with the bow tie than he was. Ron had the very same style of tux as Harry except dark brown in color. Fred and George knew Ron didn't want formal dress robes and had checked with Harry before they got him any formal muggle attire. Harry and Ron suddenly looked at each other in disgust and pulled their bow ties off. They unbuttoned their shirts two buttons down and gave each other a satisfied nod.

"Uggh, Ron what is that? Cologne?"

"Yeah, want some? Girls are supposed to go wild over it. I figured the more the better."

Harry wrinkled his nose. "I think maybe you're supposed to use a little less and no I was thinking of something not quite as strong."

"Harry, you can use some of mine, it has a light scent. Gran said mum liked dad to use it." Neville offered Harry a blue rectangular bottle with the word 'Souhaitable' in sparkling silver etched on it. Harry took off the top.

"Not bad. Thanks Neville."

"It's not an aphrodisiac or anything like that. Neville shuddered. "McGonagall said we would serve detention under Snape for such things, since he's in charge of potions, and I wouldn't risk that.

"Harry, do you suppose Hermione likes me?"

"Sure. She likes us both. She likes Neville too," said Harry putting the top back on Neville's cologne.

"No. I mean really likes me."

Harry almost dropped Neville's cologne bottle. "I -uh, don't know. Here Neville thanks again. I think she's trying to sort out if she really likes anyone in particular Ron."

'We both are,' Harry thought to himself.

Ron had a dreamy look wash over his face and Harry felt like he was standing in mud not firm stone floor. This was not working out as he thought. Then he wondered how he thought it was going to work out in the first place. Harry put on the broach pin that Ginny gave him for his birthday knowing it would likely annoy any of the Slytherins, especially Malfoy, as the first Quidditch match was coming up on Sunday and made his way to the Gryffindor common room. Obviously Ron was going to wait for Hermione and something inside of Harry ached at the thought of seeing her come down the steps from the girls dorm when she wasn't going to the dance as his date.

"Neville, why don't we go on down to the Great Hall. No telling how long Ron will be waiting for Hermione. Ron didn't say anything, just rolled his eyes at the ceiling.

"Ginny asked me to walk down with her. It's not a date or anything she just asked me to walk down with her. Want to walk down with us too?"

"I don't know. It's difficult to say how long -"

"Looking good Harry," said George.

"You too little bro'. Nice dress robes Neville. And isn't that the pin Ginny got ya Harry?" asked Fred.

"Yep." Harry reached up and tapped the pin making it roar. Neville looked surprised but the Weasleys knew what it would do. "I expect to annoy as many Slytherins as possible, especially a certain Slytherin Seeker." They all laughed.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry saw a girl's figure coming down the steps and briefly thought it might be Hermione. Ginny stepped into the Common Room drawing immediate attention from Fred and George.

"Well would you look at our little sister. I dare say she's growing up. Not to mention you've completely altered your robe." Fred paused waiting to get the look he wanted, a mixture of indignation and uncertainty before he said anything more. "Looks good actually. Mum would be proud."

"Of the sewing work. Not necessarily what you've done to your robe but yes, I like it too," said George.

"Yeah, not bad Ginny," said Ron with raised eyebrows.

Ginny had taken her lilac colored formal robe and converted it into a flared evening dress with long loose sleeves and low, but not too low, neckline. The waist was raised, but the dress was still close fitting, making her look slim and taller than she was. Her hair was still long and golden red but with added waves, gently curving outward at the bottom. After seeing that she had her brothers' approval Ginny expounded upon what she had done to her formal dress robe in a mock formal voice. "Please notice the flared skirt, how it's lined, partially interfaced and with princess seams." She curtsied and laughed, hugging her brothers Fred and George. But when she got to Ron, who was acting reluctant, she wrinkled her nose. "Oh for heaven sake Ron." She grabbed him by the arm and pulled him off to the side. Harry heard Ron talking back to her.

"I do not. And stop acting like Mum."

"Suit yourself, but I still say you should go upstairs and wash some of that off."

Alicia, Katie, and Angelina joined everyone in the Common Room and eyed Harry their captain.

"Maybe the captain is willing to dance with his teammates before the game on Sunday for good luck," teased Katie.

"Female teammates please," added George. "See you all in the Great Hall." The seventh years left talking about Lovefire and Quidditch.

Harry, Neville and Ginny were just about to leave when Ron let out a slow, "Wow". They all turned to look as Hermione came down the steps.

Ginny giggled and went into another spiel describing what Hermione was wearing. "Here we have an enchanting evening gown in shimmer, lace and chiffon. Notice the empire bodice is overlaid with lovely floral lace, edged with venise trim, and sparkling appliqué. A graceful a-line high-low skirt of pink shimmers overlaid with chiffon, topped with feminine double flutter sleeves in floral web lace and trim. Completed with satin streamer bow and Prefect badge pinned to the side of the neckline with discretion." Ginny was taking great delight in seeing Hermione and Ron together.

"Bravo!" exclaimed Neville who suddenly felt self-conscious.

"Why thank you Ginny, Neville." Hermione glanced briefly at Harry who was too speechless to say anything. She then turned to Ron and asked, "Are we ready?" Hermione briefly wrinkled her nose but didn't say anything. However, Ron noticed and looked at Ginny who was giving him a look of 'I told you so'.

"Am I wearing too much cologne?" Ron asked, indignant that his sister could be correct.

"Ah, maybe just a little," Hermione, offered gently.

Ron's ears turned pink. "Okay then," he said with a huff glancing toward Ginny and then to Hermione. "If you'll wait just a sec I'll wash this off. Neville can I borrow some of yours?" Harry could barely hear Ginny trying to discretely tell Ron he didn't have to change cologne just tone down what he had on. But Ron only grunted in response, Ginny shook her head at Ron's back as he and Neville went upstairs.

A fourth year girl appeared at the top of the steps. "Ginny, there you are. Tina has torn her gown and we wondered if you could help out since you're so good at sewing with a wand."

Harry and Hermione were left standing together, an awkward feeling between them.

"You don't like my dress? You didn't say anything," Hermione said pouting teasingly. She dropped her chin and looked at him with brown eyes that betrayed some nervousness.

"Of course I do. Very beautiful, I was momentarily speechless is all." And it was true, she had taken his breath away. He couldn't begin to understand everything Ginny described about Hermione's dress but he liked how the short little fluffy sleeves hung down just past her shoulders. "But the dress is only complimentary. Much like the colors of dawn complimenting the rising sun."

Hermione relaxed and smiled saying in a soft voice, "Thank you Harry."

"Your hair is very nice too." Hermione's curls were gone replaced by loose loops of brown hair swirled around and bunched up in the back pinned with a petite bundle of small white flowers, a prominent lock of hair hanging loosely across her forehead. "Very elegant, almost angelic but I've grown so accustomed to all your curly hair - nice change though." It occurred to Harry that maybe he was flirting with Ron's date, but he was telling the truth. Surely, that wasn't a bad thing. A feeling of frustration washed over Harry and he had the urge to tell her this wasn't working out. That he couldn't help it, he loved her and this nonsense of testing needed to come to a stop.

"Hermione I -"

Jim and Tim Bennet came sailing down the stairs almost tumbling into a pile but slid across the floor instead.

"Let's Party!"

"Cut a rug man." The Bennet brothers twisted around as though dancing to music. "Oh hey, Harry, Hermione. You guys look good."

"See you in the Great Hall."

"Cut a rug?" Hermione laughed.

"I think they've had too much American influence."

"I'm glad you decided to come to the dance Harry."

"Yeah, I almost forgot I promised Cho and Ginny a dance." Harry noticed Hermione straighten and wondered what it was he had said. But before he could say anything else Neville, Ron and Ginny came down and they all headed to the Great Hall.

Tables with lanterns and chairs lined the edge of the Great Hall that had been spruced up with decorations for the occasion. On the far side of the Hall Harry could see a large table full of refreshments. There were trays full of snacks that replenished themselves and a large multi colored fountain punchbowl. He watched as two sixth year Hufflepuffs held up their cups toward the fountain. One said, "Punch" and the other said, "Pumpkin juice." Two small streams, one red and one clear, suddenly sprouted arching up into the air and then down into their cups stopping precisely when they were full. The center of the Great Hall was devoid of furniture but was filling with milling, chatting students, along with the drifting smells of perfumes and colognes. Harry scanned the Hall noting a variety in all kinds of formal attire, wizarding and muggle, varying colors and styles. It appeared that every Slytherin was wearing wizarding robes though and Harry wondered if there were any that might like to dress otherwise but were afraid of being outcast from their own school House. Harry looked up at the enchanted ceiling and thought it spectacular, showing off the night sky, twinkling stars and shining moon. The moon was nearly full and only a few hours shy of being at its zenith directly overhead.

Harry caught sight of Cho in the crowd. She looked very pretty wearing a light blue strapless dress that went down to the calf of her right leg but was open above the knee of her left leg and stood out amongst her Ravenclaw friends. Her long black hair had been done up with small tied and flowered knots, one in front, a larger flowered knot in back. She saw him and started to make her way around the crowd just as Dumbledore stood up from the Headmaster's Chair, in the staff area, and the Great Hall filled with quiet anticipation.

"Welcome to the Hogwarts Fall Dance. The Yule Ball of last year was well received and gave us a chance to have fun outside of our well-intentioned and spirited House rivalries. And to ensure the festive spirit I present the popular Silver and Lovefire." Dumbledore waved his hand toward the stage as torches brightened around it and the Hall erupted into applause and died down as Cheryl Silvertone wearing a tight fitting pink and silver outfit stepped forward. Her hair was the same soft and shiny silver color, her singing trademark, but with more body and curls than Harry remembered from Hogsmeade. Silver's dark eyes were full of energy and passion. This was her element. This was the place she gave her all. She gave a robust thank you to the Headmaster and introduced the rest of the band.

Harry's thoughts were quickly contemplating how the evening would go. 'I'll take care of my obligations with Ginny and Cho. Maybe Angelina, Katie, and Alicia won't bother to track me down. I didn't actually promise them a dance. Then I'll find a chair in the back of the room and leave when no one is looking.' Deep in thought of how to escape tonight's dance he was surprised to hear his name announced from the stage.

"Before we begin there are a few people I want to make sure are here this evening; Hermione Granger, Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley and Ron Weasley." Harry along with the others all waved from the crowd in turn. "Good to see all again. And I believe there are two more Weasley's, Fred and George." Fred and George waved. "That's right - twins. If you could all find time to see me just before we pack it in I would appreciate it, thanks. Okay! Are we ready to dance?"

"Hi Harry. Shall we -," Cho started to say but Ginny stepped deftly in front of her. Cho came to an abrupt halt nearly walking into the back of Ginny.

"Dance?" Ginny said smiling innocently and put her arm through his not giving him a chance to answer.

Cho gave the back of Ginny's head a mean clenched-jaw look that instantly changed to a smile as Harry looked past Ginny. "The next one is mine," she said sweetly.

Harry and Ginny headed out onto the dance floor as the band started to play. Cho had reverted to giving Ginny a mean look to her back. Knowingly, Ginny looked back over her shoulder at Cho giving her a long face. The only thing missing was Ginny sticking her tongue out, Cho's jaw tightened as she fumed.

Out on the dance floor Ginny pointed at Harry's Gryffindor pin grinning broadly. Smiling back Harry tapped it making it roar attracting attention from only a few nearby who could hear it over the music. The next dance was with Cho followed by the Gryffindor chasers, Katie, Angelina, and Alicia. In addition, the Gryffindor substitutes Hanna Nelson and Mandy Strongwil reserved a dance with Harry as soon as he got back from the refreshment table. Harry was feeling frustration that had been unable to slip out as he originally planned. There was a keen interest in how he and the others knew the famous Cheryl Silvertone, and everyone seemed to be watching him. And he was trying hard not to watch Hermione with Ron. 'What if she discovers she likes him more than me?' A small voice in the back of his mind answered making his hear sink. 'Isn't that why you encouraged her to dance with Ron? To be sure?'

Feeling warm, Harry decided to shed his jacket on the way to getting some cool pumpkin juice. The coat rack he approached talked to him saying, "What's your name young man?"

"Harry Potter"

"Very good, put your garment here." An empty coat hook wiggled up and down. He hung up his jacket and transferred his Gryffindor pin to his vest. His hopes of annoying Malfoy were about to be realized as he approached the refreshment table. Crabbe and Goyle were stuffing their faces with snacks that replenished themselves as quickly as they took them.

"What's the matter Potter? Couldn't get a date to the dance?" drawled Draco, Pansy Parkinson clinging to his arm. Both of them were prominently displaying Prefect badges on their formal dress robes.

"It was so difficult to choose from so many I decided this way I could dance with them all. Well, that's if I have time." Harry lied, in his heart he really wanted to dance with only one, but goading Malfoy was far too much temptation to pass up. Harry couldn't help but grin as he saw the thought race through Draco's mind and Pansy stiffen.

"Is that pin supposed ensure a win Sunday? Because you'll need more than that to win."

"I'm not relying on just luck." Harry tapped the pin making it roar and it did indeed annoy the Slytherin's making Harry glad he made it to the dance for that, if nothing else. Harry kept tapping his pin ever so often.

"I'm relying on the skill and experience of my team not to mention the arrogance and overconfidence of the opposing team. What's the matter? Surely a snake wouldn't be bothered by a little lion's roar." Harry's comments and repetitive roars of his pin brought Crabbe and Goyle out of their feeding stupor to focus on Harry. He could see them flex their large hands.

"That's serpent, as you're fully aware," quipped Pansy.

"I'm sorry, you're quite right, serpent is the Slytherin mascot. I seem to recall having killed a rather large one once." Draco looked even more annoyed but a look of glee came over Draco's face as he looked past Harry. Harry knew the look all too well and braced himself to hear the detestation of Professor Snape's voice.

"Well, Mr. Potter. Enjoying the dance? Not causing a disturbance are we? Why don't I just take that pin to make sure."

"This is a birthday gift," Harry said, regret starting to form at the thought of losing it.

"More appropriately worn at a Quidditch match I'm sure. Two points from Gryffindor for being disruptive at a school function." Draco and Pansy grinned broadly while Harry was feeling a surge of indignation.

"I'll take it if you don't mind, Professor Snape. I'll hold onto it for him since it seems to be a disturbance." McGonagall took the pin from Harry's outstretched hand and put it on the neckline of her own dress. "Yes, very nice. And how does it work again?" Harry made a tapping motion with his hand. McGonagall tapped the pin making it roar. "Did you enchant this Mr. Potter?"

"No, Ginny Weasley did. She gave it to me for my birthday."

"A fourth year managed such a charm? Impressive. Two points for Gryffindor." She held up a cup to the drink fountain and said crisply, "Punch," adding, "You can get this back tomorrow Mr. Potter"

Trying to make his way back to a table an arm slipped through his and started tugging.

"Oh, the next one is a slow dance Harry. Let's dance. Nice vest by the way," said Cho pulling him out onto the dance floor. Cho looked over her shoulder and cast Ginny a triumphant look. Ginny tried not to react but daggered eyes gave her away.

"What happened to the Gryffindor pin you were wearing?" asked Cho while they danced.

"Professor McGonagall is wearing it." Harry grinned. "Seems the Slytherin's were taking offense. She said she would give it back tomorrow."

"I see." Cho smiled. Being a Ravenclaw, she was no fan of the Slytherins when it came to Quidditch. "Where did you get the pin?"

"Ginny gave it to me for my birthday."

"I should have given you something," pouted Cho.

"That's okay, you don't have to do anything like that. It was a relatively small party at the Weasley's." Harry gave a brief smile remembering.

"I suppose Hermione was there as well?"

"Sure."

Cho gave Harry a knowing look and said, "You seem to know where they are on the dance floor."

"Who?"

"Ron and Hermione of course."

"Not really, just a general direction."

"You seem to have a keen interest in them."

"They're my friends. I just want her, I mean them, to be happy."

"I'm sure you do."

There was a flash that left a spot in Harry's vision. Collin Creevey had taken their picture. He had been taking lots of pictures all around the dance floor with his new camera.

"Want a picture?" grinned Collin. Harry wondered why he was asking since he had already taken it.

"Only ten knuts apiece." Cho held up two fingers and Collin quickly pulled out a small scroll of parchment and short quill writing down the order.

"My treat," she smiled as they continued to dance. Harry looked at Cho and how pretty she was and thought, 'Last year I would have given most anything to dance with her at the Yule Ball. But now…'

"See much of Hermione over the summer? Besides on your birthday?"

"It wasn't actually the day of my birthday that we celebrated. Hermione and I spent almost three weeks here in the Hospital Wing, including my birthday."

"Whaaat?" Cho stopped dancing. "I read that Hermione had died but then she was here at the beginning of school and there were all these wild rumors that she had been attacked by a Death Eater and that there was something wrong with her…her eyes. You mean that's all true?"

"Yes, it's true. Ron and I helped save her life. Headmaster Dumbledore invoked the 'Breath of Life' in order for us to do it." Cho stood there giving him a look of amazement, as the song ended, making him feel uncomfortable.

"It seems you manage to go around saving lives Harry. Except…"

Harry had a lump in his throat and knew they were both thinking Cedric. "Thanks…for not hating me."

Cho's eyes watered as she shook her head. "Someday…maybe - you could tell me…"

Harry only nodded in reply feeling awful .

"Excuse me. I've got to go." She left hurriedly trying to hold back tears. A group of Ravenclaw girls gathered around her as Cho made her way to the girls' bathroom. A few of them gave Harry dirty looks making him feel worse, but he didn't mean to make her cry.

"What's wrong with Cho?" asked Ginny.

"Cedric," was all Harry got out.

"Oh." A poignant moment followed that was finally interrupted.

"I'm sure Cho does not blame you for Cedric's death. He was killed by Voldemort after all." Ginny flinched at the mention of Voldemort but Harry was interested in who had said the name without reserve, like he did himself.

"Harry, this is my friend Luna Lovegood. She's in my year, but in Ravenclaw.

"Wit beyond measure is man's greatest treasure," said Luna in a singsong voice.

Harry raised an eyebrow as Ginny bit a finger to keep from laughing. Luna had straggly but neatly combed, waist-length, dirty-blond hair. She had very pale eyebrows, and protuberant eyes that gave her a permanently surprised look and was wearing a necklace of polished moonstone. She was wearing a dress similar to Ginny's in style but the sleeves were very loose and the color of the dress was very different, with colors of blue, yellow, black and green that were moving around. The slowly moving colors reminded Harry of different colored inks that never quite mixed.

"No one has danced with Luna yet tonight. Maybe you would be willing?" asked Ginny.

But before Harry could answer Hannah and Mandy chorused as the next song started. "Harry what about us? Don't forget we're next. Good luck for the team ya know."

"I know," said Mandy excitedly. "You can dance with both of us. It's a fast song." Hannah and Mandy took one of Harry's arms practically sliding him out onto the dance floor.

After the dance Harry said, "That was different - and fun." He looked back toward Luna and Ginny. "I wonder why no one has danced with Luna?"

Hannah snickered, "Probably because everyone thinks she's loony. You know they call her Loony Luna."

"Really?" Harry felt a pang of empathy for Luna. He knew what it felt like to be avoided.

"Would you like to dance Luna?" Luna held out her hand and Harry led her back to the dance floor as they waited for the music to start. "Would you be interested in learning a new dance step?"

"If you would like to show me, yes."

The music started and Harry showed Luna the new moves that Tonks had taught him and Ron. Luna caught on quickly and they both drew admiring attention from those around them.

"You can't help but love each other. It's part of the spell," Luna said above the music.

"Love? Who?"

"You and Hermione. It's part of the spell, 'The Breath of Life'."

Harry's head spun, 'What did Luna just say?'.

"Ow. You stepped on my toe."

"I'm sorry. It's my fault. I wasn't paying attention." The music stopped and they left the dance floor greeted with half a dozen pleas to be shown the new dance steps that everyone had seen them doing out on the floor. "Luna can show you. I need a drink." Some of them looked disappointed but immediately turned their attention to Luna who seemed more than glad to show them. About eight to ten people had taken up part of the dance floor, Luna the center of attention, as Harry headed for another shot of pumpkin juice. Still feeling warm, he decided to take of his vest too. He walked up to the coat rack looking for where is jacket had been hung.

"Name?" the coat rack asked.

"Harry Potter."

"Your jacket is over here." His jacket wiggled up and down on a hook. He added his vest to the hook. Harry looked sharp; long sleeve white shirt with cuff links, the top two buttons undone, navy blue slacks and shiny black shoes. All a complimentary contrast to his unmanageable black hair, round glasses and emerald green eyes. When he got to the punch bowl fountain he thought of Professor McGonagall and decided on punch instead of pumpkin juice.

While savoring the cool punch drink Harry noticed two seventh year Slytherin boys arguing and a Sixth year Slytherin girl taking delight at being the center of their argument but acting like she was at a loss as to what to do. The Head Boy and Head Girl were trying to calm the situation but it didn't look like they were having much luck and detention was almost assuredly the outcome. Things were in fact deteriorating and Harry thought they were going to come to blows or worse, they might wildly cast spells hitting innocent bystanders. And with the rage that was on their faces they might cast some bad curses without thinking what they were doing. He had a sudden thought of inspiration. He walked up to the Sixth year Slytherin girl.

"Care to dance?" The girl looked Harry over calculating the situation and accepted. The two Seventh year Slytherin boys were no longer arguing but giving Harry evil looks. Harry thought, 'If looks could kill.'

"Why did you ask?"

"To diffuse the situation."

"Typical Gryffindor, the constant peace makers."

"And why did you accept?"

"Obviously to let the two of them decide how to win my affection without having to use brute force in such a public setting. They can fight it out later. As for right now they are focusing their anger on you which is okay by me"

"My name is Bethany by the way. Thanks for the dance."

Harry felt used but he did volunteer. He looked across the dance floor and saw Hermione and Ron standing together. 'My two best friends.' Harry had about all the dancing he wanted, and was about to retrieve his jacket and vest when Silver made an announcement from the stand.

"The next song will be a new song I've written that hasn't been played anywhere. Its debut will be here at Hogwarts." The crowd applauded enthusiastically. "The song is about a legend. The legend of the greatest of our kind - Merlin, and how he saved the life of his beloved Nimue. It's about the 'Breath of Life' and Nimue lost in a world between life and death. As it so happens, the 'Breath of Life' has again been performed and is a legend no more." The crowd murmured. "Hermione Granger has survived a near death experience and was saved by two friends who were willing to risk their lives, Harry Potter and Ron Weasley. Since Harry Potter was her first and acted as the conduit of life I would ask that Harry Potter and Hermione Granger please take the floor to themselves and dance to this new song." Cheryl added smiling broadly, "It's a slow song." "The name of this song is 'Call My Name'."

Harry was dumbfounded; it just didn't seem to be real. He heard someone say, "Go on Harry." And felt a gentle push. He saw himself walking forward out onto the dance floor but didn't really feel his feet beneath him. Hermione approached from across the floor and looked as though she was in the same state of mind, a look of surprise, shock, and joy on her face. They stood on the dance floor facing each other in wonderment. Silver brought out her wand and made the torches and lanterns dim. The moonlight from directly overhead bathed Harry and Hermione in silver-blue, giving a surreal look and making Harry's white shirt shine brightly. From the stand Silver spoke in a solemn foreboding voice.

"Lost - near death - Nimue found herself in a strange, cold, and dark place. Where she was and which way to go she did not know. If only - someone - would call her name." Silver used her wand again whipping up a cool breeze that circled around the Hall and then around Harry and Hermione gently blowing their hair and lightly rippling their clothes. The torchlight brightened as they reached out their hands and embraced, her right hand in his left, his right hand on her waist, her left hand on his arm. They had the entire dance floor to themselves as Cheryl Silvertone started to sing. Her voice was hauntingly beautiful drawing out the words of the song that seemed to tug at the heart. Harry and Hermione started to dance. Harry felt the warmth of her touch, her hand in his, as he took a step turning slowly, Hermione matching his step and his movement. The crowd around them began to fade away as he looked upon her soft gentle face. She was beautiful with a touch of color in her cheeks, a smile to capture his heart, and chocolate brown eyes that embraced his soul. He gazed briefly at cherry lips that he had known three times before, a secret they kept between them. Deep he looked into her eyes and was lost in them turning and moving while Cheryl Silvertone's voice wrapped around them.

Hermione looked up into emerald green eyes that were peering deep into her own and was lost in their gaze. Time had no meaning as the world around them became brighter and enveloped them. Tiny shimmering gold flames began to appear all around as they danced, but they were oblivious to anything but each other. The blue-silver moonlight shining through the enchanted ceiling combined with the gold dancing flames drifting around the two like lazy fireflies, was nothing short of breathtaking.

Where am I

Call my name

All alone

Call my name

I want to live

See the light

Give me life

Wake me with a kiss

I'm lost, find me

Call my name

Somewhere in the darkness

Call my name

I want to live

See the light

Give me life

Wake me with a kiss

Some were gaping, pointing, asking questions of each other as to what was going on. Others were Ooooing and Ahhing.

"Aren't they the perfect looking couple?" said a fourth year girl dreamily. Several drawn out Yeah's followed.

"Where did all the gold sparkle stuff come from?"

"Look, Dumbledore is doing it."

Dumbledore was indeed doing something. He was waving his wand around as little golden sparks floated around the end of his wand.

McGonagall leaned forward from one of the staff chairs. "Albus, what are you doing?"

"Actually Minerva, I'm making some golden sparks appear at the end of my wand - nothing more. Beautiful song don't' you think?" McGonagall looked suddenly surprised and then a fixed smile quickly appeared as she nodded understandingly sitting back in her chair.

The mood of the song had been pleading and heart wrenching but the last verse changed to hope, became uplifting and ended in a long thrilling crescendo. Harry and Hermione stopped. They leaned forward and almost kissed before the glittering gold light disappeared amidst a thunderous applause.

They looked around surprised and a little embarrassed. It was over and it seemed like it had just begun. They said thank you to each other. Hermione turned reluctantly heading back toward Ron though still smiling. Harry's heart sank with each step she took.

"Disgusting, Potty showered with all that attention and our Mudblood loving Headmaster making it worse," Pansy quipped looking smug.

Draco agreed, but watched as Hermione walked back towards Ron, Harry looking on. "Yes, it is. I wish there was some way to make life more difficult for him." Draco looked at Harry with loathing. "He's been a gorged Chizpurfle in my cauldron for far too long." Draco watched as Harry headed toward the coat rack. Draco suddenly barked at Crabbe and Goyle, "Stop stuffing your faces and find out where Potter is going." He eyed Pansy, "I mean Potty." They both snickered.

"That was quick. Where did he go?" Crabbe and Goyle both shrugged.

"Don't know. It was like he disappeared," said Crabbe. Draco shook his head and rolled his eyes.

Hermione had stopped dead in her tracks when she looked up from the floor. Ron stood in front of her stern faced, arms folded.

"I always thought you were supposed to dance with the one that brought you."

Color rose in Hermione's face and a small fire started to sizzle in her eyes. Briefly Ron thought, 'Merlin, she's cute when she's mad.' But his thoughts were jolted when Hermione swore, grabbed his arm and drug him away to a more secluded area of the Hall.

"And what is that supposed to mean? This petty jealousy you have of Harry has gone on long enough." Her already blushed face was turning more so. "The song and the dance were honoring my first. Don't you think Silver will play the song again? This time to honor my second."

Ron hadn't thought of song being played again but stammered, "I - I would have been willing to be your first," his ears turning pink.

Hermione's voice shook, "In Merlin's name Ron. Don't you think I know that? Try using your brain. You're supposed to be the school chess champion. Use some logic. Why was I attacked and nearly killed? Because Harry is my friend. You could have been attacked yourself. Why? Because Harry is your friend. And don't tell me that Harry and I wouldn't have been willing to duel with death to save your life. Try thinking about it from Dumbledore's perspective. He went to such drastic measures because of what Harry might do if I had died. Harry was my first because he has no family, you do. Yes, your heard me, the Dursley's could care less. And what if something had gone wrong? What if Harry had died trying to save me? Ron, I swear, sometimes you are the most pigheaded,….." A steady steam of descriptions poured forth. Some of them Ron wasn't sure what they meant but he was sure they weren't complimentary. His own face had turned a dark red matching Hermione's. He was utterly speechless, his mouth hanging half open. Silver's solemn voice came out across the Hall. "Lost - near death -"

"Come on," you owe me one more dance." Hermione didn't give him a chance to argue and would likely have drug him by his feet if he had tried to resist. Ron couldn't ever remember seeing her so mad.

The two of them danced, red faced and tight jawed. However, a song like this one can't be listened to without touching the heart. Hermione listened to it as though for the first time. As Silver ended the song with the same thrilling crescendo a number of dancing couples kissed on impulse. Hermione and Ron only looked at each other, the bright red of their faces having drained away during the dance leaving Ron with a look of guilt and Hermione sad.

Hermione reached up and hugged him making him lean over far enough she could whisper in his ear.

"I'm sorry Ron. It's just that Harry loves you like a brother. He loves your family like the one he never had. I just want us to be friends. Is that truly so much to ask? I - think I'm ready to call it a night. Walk me back to the Common Room?" Hermione asked with pleading brown eyes.

Hermione turned to Ron before heading up to her dorm. A mixture of guilt and defiance still riddled Ron.

"You almost kissed him. - In front of everyone."

Hermione sighed. "Ron, what if I had? He saved my life you know. And so did you." She reached up, pulled him by the neck, and gave him a quick kiss. "Thank you, by the way." Ron was stunned. Hermione gave a little half-wry smile. "Harry must be quite a friend. I don't know too many guys willing to learn to dance with their mate." If she hadn't been feeling so sad she would have laughed at the look on his face. She left Ron standing there, dazed, head reeling, eyes about to pop, rooted to the floor.

Harry had left in a hurry with an intense feeling to hide. He just wanted to disappear for a while. Get some fresh air. The Astronomy Tower was the first thing that came to mind. He grabbed his jacket and vest from the coat rack and was glad no one was paying attention to him as he left. He had to speed up his pace twice as he left He thought two different people were going to walk right into him before he got out of the Hall.

The night air was cool and brisk making him put his vest and jacket back on. The moon was still bright, dimming the surrounding stars. But it made the landscape around Hogwarts easier to see. For some reason Harry wasn't startled by the sound of wings and something landing on the ledge beside him.

"Well, hello Fawkes. I thought it was Hedwig, but it's good to see you." Harry stroked Fawkes in silence before reflecting on the evening. "I hadn't intended to dance much at all tonight. Instead, I feel like I danced with half the girls of school - I know I didn't. Do you know what the best part was Fawkes?" Of course, Harry didn't expect Fawkes to answer. "I got to dance with Hermione." Harry sighed. "It was wonderful. It felt like we were in our own little world. But I almost kissed her in front of everyone, Fawkes. And she was Ron's date." Harry gave an involuntary shudder. "I don't know what to think. It all seems….so hopeless."

Fawkes gave a solitary note that warmed Harry to his toes. Harry took off his glasses and wiped his cheek.

"Thanks Fawkes. About time to turn in, eh?"

"Headmaster Dumbledore, it was an excellent evening. The rest of the band wanted me to tell you how much they appreciate playing for Hogwarts. I also wanted to compliment you on that charming display of glittering lights around Harry and Hermione. It was an elegant touch."

"I must say I cannot take the credit. I'm sure your new song was the inspiration," he smiled.

"Would you or any of the staff like a music disc of the new song?"

"I would be delighted." Silver handed Dumbledore enough music discs for himself and the entire staff.

"I had intended to give away more but Fred and George Weasley were the only ones of the group I asked to show up at the end of the dance. They said they would give the rest theirs in the morning. I was looking for Harry Potter but he seemed to -"

"Disappear?" Dumbledore finished for her, his eyes twinkling.