Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

An old hand clutched the top of a well-used walking stick. Polished on top from long years of use the gnarled walking stick had an uncanny knack for picking just the right spot to not slip. Labored and raspy breathing followed each step down a well-worn path. A white haired old man paused trying to take in a pleasant spring afternoon. It had rained and stormed the week before and the moisture was still heavy in the air and on the damp grassy ground. Sunshine was a welcome change, but from an Augurey's cry the old man knew more rain would be on its way.

Something drew his attention toward the skyline. There was nothing there, or maybe it was his eyes that didn't see as well as they used to. Something, he wasn't sure, maybe he sensed it more than saw it. Wait, there it is, someone on a broom? It was difficult to tell, it was so far away. Then, whatever it was, fell in a spiral toward the trees below.

The old man's breath sucked in and his free hand clutched at his chest with the sound of wood on wood, and he groaned audibly. He winced in pain and steadied himself as he thought about what he would do.

"Nothing for it," he said under his breath.

With determination, he slowly stepped off the path and into the forest. Young tree limbs with wet leaves dripped as they magically moved aside for the old man. Whoever fell would either be there, or be gone when he finally got there. It was more exertion than he was used to and after a half hour he rested, leaning against a nearby tree with his shoulder. Voices in the distance made him tense up and instinctively he raised his arm and stiffly gave himself a rap on the head with an awkward movement. From the head down, he seemingly melted away, blending into his surroundings.

"Let's find 'im and get out o' here. We're too close to Godric's Hollow for my lik'n."

"Relax, we're helping the Ministry, remember? And the Dark Lord said whoever finds him will get a reward. I'd prefer gold."

"You'll take whatever the Dark Lord gives ya and be glad of it. Keep a sharp look out. He's supposed to be out cold on tha ground somewhere. An' don't go holler'n when we find 'im. We don't want anyone takin' him an' gettin' our reward."

*

*

*

*

Pain, more pain that he thought he could bear. His head couldn't possibly be in one piece. It felt like it had split in two. He wretched again. Nothing but spit came up. He remembered falling and then nothing but black. Now, he was on his back. He tried to open his eyes but all he managed was to glimpse a white haired silhouette in front of a mirror before he closed his eyes again.

"He's here. I've got him."

The words were followed with a long bout of labored coughs.

Harry tried in vain to remember more of what he had seen through the pain. All he could think of was blood before he blacked out again.

*

*

*

*

Three witches were huddled together near the door of the hospital wing. On the far end, Hermione was mumbling incoherently on a bed. Madam Pomfrey had insisted everyone give Hermione some space and most had reluctantly complied and left the hospital wing with worried looks. Across from Hermione was Cho, awake, sitting up and watching, but still restrained with a magical tether. Draco was absent. He had agreed to submit to truth serum and had left with Snape to go to Dumbledore's office.

"It's the worst possible situation. We have to find Harry," Ginny said with a hint of panic and shrillness to her words.

"They need to be closer together," Luna said airily.

"Luna Lovegood is correct Ginny Weasley. The closer they are, the more power my brother will have to fight Voldemort," Tadra said with conviction.

Ginny frowned at both of them.

"What am I missing here? Are you saying we should take Hermione close to where Harry is - physically?"

"Yes."

"Yes."

Ginny's eyes widened.

"First of all, we'd have to know more specifically where Harry is rather than some vague area around Godric's Hollow. And if what you're saying is true it will be more than difficult. The Ministry knew Harry was gone before we did. Obviously Death Eaters are involved in the search. Sickles to doughnuts an illegal Port Key has already been made to take him directly to . . ."

Ginny couldn't finish saying it. She shook with rage at the situation she felt she should have put a stop to by figuring out it wasn't Harry who kissed her. Even now, her stomach churned in disgust realizing it was Draco using Polyjuice. Ginny's self-reproach was interrupted with Ron's return to the doorway of the hospital wing with Neville standing a few paces behind him.

"Dumbledore wants student members . . . " Ron silently mouthed "of the Order" and continued. " . . . in his office, now."

The group left for the Headmaster's office at a brisk pace through the chaos of everyone preparing to leave for summer holiday. Direct questions of Harry and Hermione were deflected by informing whoever asked that they were going to the Headmaster's office. However, the group slowed as they approached a familiar short blonde Gryffindor with an infectious smile.

"I'm sure Harry and Hermione will work things out."

Even as grim as the situation was no one could help but return her radiant smile.

"I agree, Jen Hanson. I apologize for being so abrupt but the Headmaster expects us. Are you well?"

"Yes, I'm fine," she replied with an unwavering smile.

The corner of Tadra's smile twitched before fading along with the others as they continued.

"Has the Headmaster received word of my brother?"

"He didn't say, but what else could it be? I can't believe he could be . . ."

"Don't worry Ron, Harry is alive. Hermione is proof of that," Luna answered with such serene surety the tension eased dramatically.

*

*

The door to Dumbledore's office opened of its own accord and the student members of the Order stood in front of his large wooden desk.

"Harry is alive."

There was audible relief as Neville exhaled from holding his breath. However, Tadra was still tense noting the hardness of blue eyes above half-moon spectacles.

"He is safe for the moment, but the situation is dire. By a stroke of luck he was found by Matthias Clay . . ."

Dumbledore paused as if there was some personal story behind the name.

"I've heard my gran talk about a Matt Clay, but I think he was killed by a cursed spear before the last war started," Neville said filling the paused silence with a concentrated look but suddenly regretted having said anything out loud.

"I think Harry had a great-great-aunt that married into the Clay family."

Several of the group turned to look a Ginny wondering how she could know such a thing.

"Anyway, that's not possible because like Neville said - he's dead."

"For the moment he is still alive. Please let me explain. Matt did indeed take a cursed spear through the chest. Because the spear was next to his heart Mediwizards could not completely remove the spear and never expected him to live more than a few years. In order to not become a burden upon anyone he became his own Secret-Keeper. Now after all these years, the spear has cracked from age and Matt is near death. He does not have the strength to make a Port Key and Fawkes has had a burning day only three weeks ago and is not yet mature enough to retrieve Harry."

The group gathered in Dumbledore's office turned and looked at Fawkes on his perch. He was hardly half his normal size, more like a medium sized chicken, but still brilliantly plumed.

"Therefore, Hermione must be taken to Harry. This will not be an easy task. The Ministry has seen fit to apply anti-disapparating jinxes in the search area in an effort to control who comes and goes."

"Do you have a plan?" Ron asked.

Dumbledore paused before continuing.

"As Headmaster I cannot ask you to participate in anything that may be considered an illegal activity by the Ministry."

"As head of the Order you may ask, but we volunteer before you ask," Luna interjected. The rest nodded in agreement.

"Very well, we will need a diversion on the ground which Mr. Longbottom can be of primary assistance. And I believe Miss Potter can provide transportation for Miss Granger."

*

*

*

*

"Hermione, can you hear me?"

"Yes, I'm feeling better," Hermione whispered through closed eyes and pain. "It's cold."

Tadra gave Hermione a sip of warming potion and tugged on the wool blanket wrapped around Hermione in an effort to protect more of her face. Tadra then pulled her fur-lined cloak tighter about her own neck.

"You are feeling better because you are closer to him, my sister. We are about to levitate you off my carpet. You must follow the instructions we have given you. Please repeat them."

"When you get the signal I will be dropped. Fawkes will help slow my fall. After I reach Harry, we will both touch the Port Key in the bag you've given me."

"That is correct. Dumbledore made the Port Key himself. It is an empty sugar bowl from Hogwarts."

"That's sweet," Hermione said softly.

Ginny and Tadra smiled as Hermione gave a weak grin with closed eyes.

"Anyway, Dumbledore put a complex spell on this Port Key. It will activate when both of you touch it at the same time. Be sure you both touch it together. It will take you directly to the hospital wing at Hogwarts. And I'm going to say it again. I don't like it. Fawkes, I hope you can do this."

Fawkes gave a short splendid note of hope in response to Ginny's concern. Fawkes then spread his wings and hopped on Hermione's stomach holding onto Hermione's hands with the same gentleness a parent might hold onto a child.

"Okay then, we wait."

Tadra looked toward approaching clouds hoping they could provide more cover and they could drop to a lower altitude. Ginny peered intently at an apple sized clear crystal orb, waiting for it to turn red. Below, Ron, Neville and Luna were about to spring a diversion as rouge students of Hogwarts trying to help in the search.

*

*

*

The pain had eased some and Harry became aware of labored and raspy breathing.

"Where am I?"

"I'm glad you're coming out of it, cousin. As for where, you're in my tree."

"Tree? I - I'm sorry it's difficult to see. My head hurts."

"You mean your scar. Albus told me about you being tricked - you and your girl. You shouldn't have run away. And look at me I've been running away for more than twenty years - waiting to die. And now, I need to live as long as I can. Maybe I should have . . . stayed. Now all I have left are my memories and the will to live a little longer. There's something I want you to have."

Something small, hard, and round nudged Harry's hand.

"You'll have to tuck it into your robe. I don't have the strength."

With closed eyes, Harry fumbled with the rough surfaced cold object before he managed to put it inside his robe. The pain that had incapacitated him was suddenly dissipating rapidly. The less pain, the more tired and spent he felt. As the pain disappeared, Harry felt drained of energy like a balloon that had suddenly emptied after only moments before struggled to pop. He managed to lift his head and look at his host with clear eyes for the first time but was greeted with burst of flame and a heavy bump on the floor not far away.

The brief burst of flames illuminated a white haired old man slumped forward in a chair, a stump of a wooden shaft sticking out of his chest and a wand lashed to hand with a leather strap. His robes were drenched in blood as a slight sparkle faded from old eyes. The flames on the floor changed to crimson and gold as Fawkes lifted toward the ceiling with a single stroke of his wings. Lots of curly brown hair covered the face of a girl in school robes lying on her back on top of a woolen blanket.
"Hermione!" Harry weakly shouted and was caught short on trying to get up.

With a flushed face Hermione lay on the floor and then rolled on her side toward Harry as she hurriedly reached into a bag and pulled out something silver. Her mouth moved saying his name "Harry", but no sound came out. Suddenly her face drained of color and her eyes turned solid grey. With a loud pop and a flash of green light, Fawkes exploded in a shower of crimson and gold feathers. Hermione ignored everything except trying to extend the silver sugar bowl toward Harry almost three meters away.

Harry heaved himself off the bed and onto the floor toward Hermione, bumping the lifeless form of his relative. The movement made the body begin to fall sideways off the chair. Another flash of green and the old man's body lurched forward, falling on top of Harry.

Hermione shrieked and shielded herself with the sugar bowl that exploded in a flash of green. Harry felt something hard hit his hand and everything swirled in chaos. The familiar hook behind the navel was there but the spinning was not a uniform ring. Objects of all kinds were spinning and rotating, a chair hit Harry in the back, the old man's lifeless body careened past a dark figure with a dark beard and pointed hat, a bed was rolling end over end, and a glimpse of brown curls. Then it stopped, less of a Port Key and more of a small tornado spewed its contents of debris through the Hogwarts Hospital Wing. Someone shouted an unfinished "Prote-" and all was quiet save for a gnarled wooden staff that slid off an empty bed and clattered noisily as it hit the stone floor.

"Hermione," Harry gasped, ignoring a sharp pain in his back.

A moan responded. Harry pulled on a shoulder turning Hermione over from lying face down on the floor. He gently cradled her head in his arm and took her hand as she opened her eyes - solid grey.

The touch of her hand was a charge of energy that surged through him and grew. He was now aware of the danger, drew his wand and pointed. No longer wearing a pointed hat and with his robes disarrayed, a wild-eyed wizard was standing with clenched teeth and snarling with victory as he opened a cloth bag and something gold and glittering began to emerge.

"STUPEFY!" Harry yelled.

A red flash of light erupted from Harry's wand making the floor shake just before it hit the wizard square in the chest. The spell hit him with enough force to propel him straight back and into the wall. The impact was so great that streaks of blood shot out in all directions across the stone from his body and head.

A gold snitch with a broken wing fluttered on the floor in front of Harry and Hermione.

"Don't let it touch you!" Hermione hissed as she scrambled to her feet dragging Harry with her.

But the broken snitch began to spiral away from them in smaller and smaller circles until it touched the wizard still upright against the wall and they both disappeared leaving an odd looking bloody silhouette behind.

"Great Merlin, what just happened? And where's Professor Snape? Cho Chang?"

"Madam Pomfrey? How long . . . Snape?"

"Cho?"

Madam Pomfrey's Mediwizard training took over as she prioritized people over the unexplained event.

"Yes, Professor Snape and Cho Chang are somewhere in this mess. They could be in need of medical attention. Quickly now."

Madam Pomfrey, Harry and Hermione began moving the contents of Mathias Clay's tree with their wands. Madam Pomfrey found Snape out cold with a mild concussion. Hermione found Mathias Clay's body and Harry spotted a foot under a tilted wooden bedroom dresser between two Hogwarts beds.

"Harry, help me," moaned Cho.

Harry levitated the dresser away exposing Cho, with a pained expression, still tethered to a bed.

"Harry, stay away from her, she's under the Imperious Curse."

"What? How?"

Hermione touched Harry's hand for a brief second before Harry turned his attention to Cho once again.

"Here Cho, let me help you up."

"Harry be careful," Hermione insisted.

Harry looked deep into Cho's eyes and she stiffened.

"You cannot win Harry Potter. My master will kill you and all those near you."

Harry stared more intently into Cho's eyes and she went limp but did not break eye contact. Harry put a finger to Cho's temple and a whitish silver liquid began to curl around and down his finger. As if on cue, Hermione put a small stone flask with runes up to catch the liquid and with her wand she sealed it. Harry took his finger away from Cho's temple and she closed her eyes.

"Cho? Can you hear me? Cho?"

"Harry? Hermione? Where . . ." Cho asked, and then realization swept across her face. "Are my parents really . . ." Cho asked with an anguished pleading look.

"You're not under the Imperius Curse anymore and we've stored some of your memories in the stone flask on the table next to your bed. They're your memories to do with as you choose. I - we only wanted to spare you some pain. And yes . . ." Harry's voice faltered.

"Nooooo!" Cho screamed uncontrollably as Harry and Hermione tried to console her.

After reviving Snape and giving him a misting cold compress to put against his head Madam Pomfrey came to treat Cho.

"Sedatus," she said casting a spell on Cho who was screaming hysterically. Cho immediately calmed.

"Miss Chang, I have a potion I want you to drink. It will let you rest and have a dreamless sleep. Do you understand?"

Cho nodded her head and drank the potion. She lay back on the bed and closed her eyes.

"Can I assume Miss Cho is no longer a threat to herself or anyone else?" Madam Pomfrey asked in hushed tones.

Harry and Hermione nodded. The tether that held Cho to the bed disappeared with a wave of Madam Pomfrey's wand. She then motioned them away from Cho.

"There's a body over here. Can you explain this?"

"His name is Mathias Clay," Snape drawled before Harry could answer. "I understand he was a relative of yours, Potter. Someone else you've managed to get killed in your ill conceived abandonment of your school and friends."

Harry and Hermione frowned.

"Once again you've made a mess of things." Snape waved a free hand about the wing. "If not for the summer holiday I would take several hundred points from Gryffindor. However, since my services are no longer needed, I have things to attend to. I'll leave this mess for Potter and Granger to clean up. Thank you for your assistance Madam Pomfrey."

Snape left holding the compress, still misting a white fog, against his head.

Harry looked about the Hospital wing with a feeling of dejection. He purposely avoided looking in the direction of his cousin's body. Ever so briefly he had met a true magical relative, and now he was gone. He felt numb, and tired - very tired. Regardless he lifted his wand, and so did Hermione.

"What do you two think you're doing? Professor Snape doesn't run this wing - I do. You two will get some rest. I'll clean this up."

"We should really get ourselves cleaned up first," Hermione suggested weakly.

"Rest now, clean up later. Go on, lie down on a bed somewhere. Well, there's a couple on the other side of the room, away from most of this mess. Off with ya."

*

*

*

Two teenagers, looking the worse for wear, were sound asleep, lying on separate beds pushed next to each other, the two of them holding hands.

"What kind of school are you running here Dumbledore?"

"One that is over for the summer holiday. When these two have rested, and refreshed themselves, they will be sent home."

"Potter?"

"He will go to stay with his Aunt and Uncle. There is no safer place for him to stay."

"I'll put a few more Aurors to watch the area. We can't have any more incidents with Dementors."

"Wise precaution Minister."

Scrimgeour walked toward a grizzly red area on the Hospital Wing wall.

"Is this it? Is this where the bounty hunter was killed by Potter? Killed with a stunning spell?"

"Yes, a very powerful stunning spell. Miss Granger has verified that he was indeed dead. With her unique ability, she would know. He was likely a Death Eater but without a body there is of course, no proof."

"And the Chang girl, under the Imperius Curse along with Malfoy's boy?"

"Apparently, but the curse has been broken on both."

The Minister paused by Cho Chang's bed.

"No one should have to remember how their parents were murdered."

"I agree."

Something in the way Dumbledore agreed made Scrimgeour look at him, and then to the stone flask on the table next to Cho's bed.

"There are laws governing the extraction of other people's memories but I think they can be overlooked in this case. And Clay?"

"Ah Madam Pomfrey, please join us. Minister, Madam Pomfrey is Hogwart's most capable and gracious school nurse. She donates her services to Saint Mungo's during the summer holiday."

"Admirable."

"Thank you Headmaster, Minister."

"The Minister was inquiring of Mathias Clay's body."

"Back room of my office' to the left."

In the back room, Dumbledore rolled back the sheet with a curt wave of his wand.

"Amazing, it really is him. And there's the shaft of the cursed spear. I guess I'm satisfied Dumbledore, but this could have turned out badly for both of us."

"I take full responsibility."

"Quite right you should . . . . Well, it wouldn't have been such an incident if it had been anyone but Potter. But I do understand. Teenagers and their hormones are unpredictable at best. I expect we will talk again soon."

Dumbledore nodded and gave a placating smile before the Minister left. Now alone, a chair slid up to Dumbledore as he sat down and gazed upon a lifeless body.

"Matt, my old friend, you did well. If only . . ."

Dumbledore sighed heavily and closed his eyes as the sheet rolled back up over the face of an old friend. A small chirp came from within one of Dumbledore's pockets.

"Fawkes. Sorry, I almost forgot about you."

Dumbledore reached into his pocket and held a small ugly chick in his hand.

"Maybe when you get bigger we could take a short trip to someplace cheerful."

Fawkes gave another short chirp before Dumbledore put him back in his pocket.

*

*

*

Harry woke up looking at the ceiling of the Hospital Wing. Even with blurred vision it was recognizable from the number of times he had woke up there before. And he knew instantly that Hermione was by his side. The touch of her hand was unmistakable. He decided to gently let go of her hand and find his glasses, but the loss of contact woke her up.

"Harry?"

"Just a sec, let me get my glasses. Oh . . ."

It wasn't just the note from Cho on the table next to him that surprised him. It was everyone else that was resting on beds around them. Tadra, Ginny, Neville, Ron and Luna, were all asleep. Cho was gone.

"Dobby is glad Harry Potter and his 'Mione is awake. Headmaster wants Dobby to give these."

Still somewhat groggy Harry and Hermione each took an envelope from Dobby. Something shiny and gold slid out of the envelope into Harry's hand.

"What in Merlin's name?"

Harry looked over to see that Hermione had one too.

"I mean, I didn't think, how could I."

"Is this right Dobby? The school term has only just ended."

"Dobby does not understand. Dobby is pleased to see Harry Potter and his 'Mione are Head Boy and Head Girl. Dobby is to show Head Boy and Head Girl to their room."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and shrugged grinning. Harry grabbed Cho's note and stuffed it in a pocket, turned to follow Dobby, and almost stepped into the back of Hermione. Harry looked in the direction of Hermione's gaze. Ron and Luna were a mess with bits of mud and dark leaves on their clothes. Ron's hair was almost black and Luna's hair was an unrecognizable tangled mess of mud and leaves.

"I wonder what happened to them?"

"I think they were part of a diversion maybe. I'm sure we'll hear about it later. I'd like to get cleaned up."

They followed Dobby to a single large door with the Hogwarts emblem above it. Head Boy and Head Girl were on either side of it. Having accomplished his task, Dobby vanished.

"What's this about? I didn't think the Head Boy and Girl had separate quarters from their House," Harry said.

Hermione stifled a nervous giggle.

"Ah, they don't. Er, didn't."

They stepped into a large open room with a high ceiling. A chandelier of ever-burning candles lit the room. There were two long dark wooden tables in the middle of the room surrounded by chairs. There were plush chairs and sofas on both sides of the room from the tables. The far wall had a large dark oval that gave a flash of lightning in the distance of a stormy night.

"Conjured window," Hermione commented. "Like the Great Hall ceiling."

Harry gave a nod in understanding before looking over more of the room. There were bookcases, a few paintings, and decorations befitting of all four houses. A staircase on either side of the room led up to a door - Head Girl on the left, Head Boy on the right. Hermione pointed at a cabinet door in the stone wall that looked very much like the dumb waiter in the Head Master's Sanctum.

"The bathrooms on this lower level are for visiting Prefects. We probably have our own private bathrooms in our rooms above," Hermione said pointing out the most likely.

All his regret finally had time to bubble to the surface. Harry nodded in agreement before embracing her.

"I know Dumbledore explained in the link how we were both tricked but saying I'm sorry just doesn't seem enough. I'm so very sorry."

"N-no, I'm the one who's sorry."

They held each other for some time before Harry broke the silence.

"By the way, that was a very brave way to show up in that tree."

Hermione gave him a smile as she wiped at tears.

"Thanks, I suppose you could say I fell for you."

Harry smiled back and then his face changed to real concern.

"Fawkes!"

"Harry, it's okay. He's a phoenix, remember."

"Oh . . . right."

"Well, we should . . ."

They walked toward separate staircases as a pair of hands reluctantly let go.

*

*

*

"Would ya look at that. They're still sleeping. Oi, Harry, Hermione, interested in breakfast?"

Sleeping against each other on a couch, under a blanket, Harry and Hermione jerked awake.

"My brother and sister, you are both fully dressed?"

Tadra's unexpected teasing brought about snorts and smirks from the rest as Harry and Hermione blushed furiously.

"We most certainly are," Hermione replied whipping back the blanket showing they were both in pajamas. Hermione handed Harry his glasses before he even began to look for them.

"Well, get dressed and let's eat. We didn't get the full story through your link. And maybe you'd like to hear how we provided a diversion. Luna was brilliant."

Luna's face was placid as usual but had a slight blush at Ron's praise.

"Did you really kill a Death Eater," Neville asked.

Harry became somber.

"I - we're not certain he was a Death Eater, but Mundungus seems sure that he was. I didn't mean to kill him, it was just a stunning spell. It almost makes me feel sick."

"Sorry."

"It's okay Neville."

"I am glad you feel this way, my brother. No one should feel great joy at taking the life of another."

Neville shifted uncomfortably at Tadra's words.

"True, but all of us here may be forced to kill before this war is over," Ginny added.

Ron swore.

"Doom and gloom. You two either get dressed or wear your pajamas, let's eat. And we'll tell you how McGonagall threatened to give us detention for an entire term."

They had breakfast on one of the tables in the Head Boy and Girl's common room. They didn't get the chance to use the dumbwaiter; Dobby made breakfast from the kitchens appear on the table with a snap of his finger and promptly disappeared. There was more than enough to eat. And when everyone was full, out of habit they began pushing everything that was left over toward Ron who promptly shoveled it in. Between mouthfuls Ron explained that it was Luna's idea to try and look like Harry and Hermione - at least from a distance. And that the easiest way to do it was to fake a broom accident into a marsh. Neville shot up red sparks to signal that he had found Harry, but he also sent Tadra and Ginny a signal to drop Hermione by tapping a crystal orb with his wand. The Ministry's search party descended upon Neville's signal and found the three of them. Ginny and Tadra were found looking through the remains of Clay's tree. After that, McGonagall showed up unexpectedly and bollocked them something awful.

"McGonagall was downright scary. I really thought she meant it," Neville said with a mix of awe and shock.

Ginny took over from there.

"Well, we were supposed to think she meant it. Same reason Dumbledore didn't want Harry and Hermione to tell us through the link that they were safe. And that was tough to take when Tadra and I looked through what was left of Clay's tree. We found Fawkes as a chick and I knew something had happened. I didn't feel like I could breathe until Dumbledore told the Minister you were both safe. Anyway, our reactions satisfied the Minister."

Harry had been looking at the table, lost in thought.

"I need to say something."

Harry paused and considered telling everyone how stupid he had been. But he knew Hermione would never let him take all the blame.

"Thank you, all of you. Especially -." Harry turned and looked deep into chocolate brown eyes. "The girl who fell for me."

"Hey, that's right," Neville grinned. "Hermione fell for him."

"Yeah, she really did," Ron agreed

"I was wondering Harry, where did Cho go?" Luna asked airily.

"Right, hold on. She left me and Hermione a note."

Harry pulled out his wand and summoned the note from the Head Boy's room. The note came whizzing to his hand and stopped.

He and Hermione read the note together but Harry was at a loss for words, so Hermione paraphrased for everyone.

"Cho says she's sorry for all that's happened and that she needs time to sort things out. She wants to contact us again soon, and hopes she still has friends at Hogwarts."

"Of course she does," Luna answered.

The conversation paused before Ron let loose a stray thought.

"Too bad the slippery git got away with it again," Ron caught himself before saying anything more and glanced at Tadra's dark penetrating eyes before quickly changing the subject.

"Er, anyway mate, are you going to your aunt and uncle's or are you going to your place with us?"

"I doubt that I have much of a choice, and I'm not keen on it, but I should probably stay with my aunt and uncle until my birthday. I'll apparate to Headquarters that morning, or maybe midnight if I can't stand it anymore. What about you Tadra?"

"I will stay at my brother's house with the Weasleys."

"I wouldn't mind visiting your estate, Harry. Especially on your birthday."

"Me too," Neville added. "It would be my birthday as well."

"I - I would like that. I really would. But you'll have to clear it with Dumbledore since he's the Secret-Keeper."

There was a knock at the door.

"Yes?" Harry and Hermione answered in unison.

Filch poked his head through the door.

"Er, sorry to interrupt. Good to see everyone is well. How 'bout you Potter?"

"I'm good, I guess."

"Headmaster wants me to tell you that your parents, or respective relatives, have been notified you'll be home this afternoon. Your trunks will be delivered so there's no need to go lookin' for them. There'll be a horseless carriage to take everyone to Hogsmeade so you can go home by Flu. Or maybe some can apparate. And the Headmaster will be along shortly to talk to everyone. An' don't go runnin' off without tellin' someone, right Potter?"

"Right," Harry answered sheepishly as Filch closed the door and left.

"It's weird to have Filch being nice. Hardly seems natural. But I can take you home Luna - if you'd like to side-along."

"Is that really a good idea Ron?" Ginny asked.

"I think I can handle it," Ron shot back as his ears began to turn pink.

"If Luna doesn't mind taking the long way home," Ginny answered in a low tone.

"I don't mind taking the long way home," Luna said unconcerned.

Ron's ears turned a darker shade of pink as Ginny raised an eyebrow, Neville smirked, Tadra smiled knowingly, Hermione skewed a grin, and Harry reached for a drink of juice to cover his own.

The door opened on its own. Harry thought Dumbledore looked tired and stressed no doubt from the previous few days. Harry had to admit he hadn't looked all that chipper himself in the mirror this morning either. Actually they all looked like they could use more rest.

"Everyone had enough breakfast? Good. And how do the new quarters suit the Head Boy and Head Girl?"

"Fantastic."

"Really like the conjured window."

"I conjured that one myself," Dumbledore said looking pleased. "Now, down to business. Harry, I assume we'll see you at your estate on your birthday. If you don't mind Hermione, I'd like you to pay Harry weekly visits until that time - whether Harry's aunt and uncle want them or not."

"I'd be delighted," Hermione said smiling broadly.

"I thought you might. And on another matter, Miss Chang came to see me before she left early this morning. I'm hopeful that the Order will grow in number before the end of Summer Holiday."

"I was wondering if Neville and Luna could come to my place for my birthday."

"I think that can be arranged."

Dumbledore's quick affirmation made Harry very happy.

"Now, I must stress that everyone be on their guard. Voldemort does not take well to failure. I expect him to make another move soon."

*

*

*

*

The cab was driving away as the front door opened.

"Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, sorry I'm late."

Vernon only grunted, turned, and left Harry standing in the open doorway as Vernon returned to his favorite chair and resumed reading. However, Petunia stood her ground with folded arms.

"It's bad enough we take our time to go pick you up, and worse that you aren't there. Do you know how embarrassing it is to be handed a note by one of your kind telling us that you have missed the train? Infuriating is what it is, and it only makes matters worse that it isn't the first time. So, why did you miss the train? On top of all that your trunk and your bird have appeared here on their own. You know we don't tolerate that sort of thing."

Harry was surprised Aunt Petunia was asking questions. Usually she berated him and then ignored him.

"I ran away."

Petunia shook her head.

Vernon put his paper down.

"Kicked out of that school now are you? We'll don't be expecting to stay here past the end of the month. I don't know why you've come back here anyway."

"No, I wasn't kicked out. I'm Head Boy for next year."

"What? Barking, the lot of 'em," Vernon grumbled as he turned a page.

"Come along to the kitchen, you've got lots to do. I'm dreadfully behind. If only you could have been here this morning. Dudley will be entertaining guests this evening."

"Right, it's Dudley's birthday. Where is he?"

"He's out for a spin in his new car with some of his friends. And why did you run away?"

"I thought," Harry paused at the memory of seeing the image of Hermione and Ron snogging. Even though they were both imposters it was still a dreadful memory.

"It was over a girl wasn't it? That one with the curly hair? Thought as much."

"No, I was tricked. We were tricked. It wasn't really her. There was befuddlement draught in the chocolate. If it wasn't for Hermione I wouldn't be here. I'd be dead like that bounty hunter . . . I killed . . . someone."

Down in the pit of his stomach, something churned making him feel sick. He hadn't meant to tell them. He had meant to keep it to himself. When his aunt insinuated Hermione was the cause of his trouble it came out like a knee jerk reaction. Deep down he felt it was his fault that somehow he should have known.

Petunia gave him an odd look and dropped a metal measuring cup that clattered on the kitchen floor. Vernon jumped up from his chair and entered the kitchen.

"Whaaat? What did you just say?" Vernon blustered with increasing volume as he brought out a familiar fountain pen. "Say, that, again," he demanded as he began to scribble on the same paper he had been reading.

"Upstairs now," Petunia ordered. "I'll deal with this Vernon. He is my sister's child."

Petunia followed Harry upstairs and into his room.

"Sit down."

Harry sat down on his bed. He was spared interrogation from the discerning pen, but this was radically different.

"That look on your face. I saw it on your mother's face once. At first I didn't believe her, but she broke down and swore it was true. Mum and dad were already gone by then and as much as I hated her we were all we had left. She told me a lot of things that day. Much of it I didn't understand and didn't want to. What I want to know is what happened. I will not tolerate a murderer in this house."

Harry winced at the word murderer. But his aunt had spoke more about his mother than she had in all the years he had stayed with them.

"Now, tell me - all of it."

Harry told her every detail, almost in spite of himself. It was like trying to clean dirt off something only to discover it will never be truly clean again. Harry finished and wiped at his eyes in surprised embarrassment. He had not wanted to show how much he felt about all of it.

"I believe you," Petunia said in a shaking voice and then she began to pace the floor in front of Harry.

"Did you know I was involved in a traffic accident two months ago? Well, of course you wouldn't."

"You weren't hurt were you?"

"No, and not a scratch to the car either."

Harry couldn't figure out what his aunt was getting at.

"Anyway, I still need help in the kitchen. I'll talk to Vernon later. And you will be civil toward Dudley this evening. It is his birthday."

*

*

*

*

Two days later Hermione phoned asking if the Dursley's had a preference on how they would like her to arrive, by car - or apparate. They grudgingly consented to allow the visit by car; the alternative was out of the question.

"I'm surprised your aunt let me come up to your room."

"She did say the door had to remain open," Harry reminded her.

Hermione gave a pouting look before smiling and throwing herself at Harry toppling them both over onto his bed.

"I've missed you something awful," she whispered and gave him a long passionate kiss they both needed desperately.

After they caught their breath, Hermione sat up pretending mock embarrassment.

"How very un-lady like of me. I'm ever so sorry, Mr. Potter. I don't know what came over me."

"Think nothing of it Miss Granger, anytime - really," Harry said with a hungry grin.

"Oh drat, if we were only somewhere else," Hermione answered biting her lip. "Anyway, how's it been with your relatives? After all that's happened are you okay?"

"I told them. Well, I told my aunt about the bounty hunter."

"You did?" Hermione asked in wide-eyed surprise.

Harry told her everything.

"So, your spoiled - er, cousin now has his own car. And your aunt was in an auto accident. I wonder why she told you that?" Hermione frowned before telling Harry how the Order was actively on the lookout for something to happen.

"And there's something that's been going on for months now, isn't there?"

"I'm sorry Harry but I can't tell you. I know you're frustrated but I just can't."

Hermione gave him a pleading look and Harry gave a sigh in response.

"Anyway, it seems that Ron took Luna the long way home after all."

Hermione giggled as Harry smirked.

"And Tadra told me that Naheem is still sending Ginny owls but Ginny refuses to answer. I don't know what's wrong with her. Sometimes she seems like a different person but most of the time she's like she always is. Aaaand Tonks is now an unofficial Animagus. Care to guess what she is?"

"No idea."

"A fox."

"Really?"

Harry looked pleased. But his demeanor changed before he asked the next question.

"And why haven't you mentioned Tadra?"

"Well," Hermione frowned. "She knows we all disapprove of Draco. And she keeps quiet about it and I refuse to speculate. By the way, I've booked my driving theory test tomorrow morning and my practical test in the afternoon. I know you had practice in that Anglia when you stayed with the Weasleys. I'll bet you could do it too. Well, you'd have to wait until next month."

"I think that's brilliant. But I might need some help studying for the theory part. And that wasn't nearly enough experience with the Anglia on those backcountry roads. They were more like paths really."

"We could use mum and dad's car for you to get more practice. And you'll need to study properly. Because I know how you like to study. You'd much rather study me."

"And your point?" Harry laughed as Hermione playfully hit him before they kissed again.

They caught their breath and Hermione became very serious.

"If . . . if something happens I'll apparate here to your room - whether your aunt and uncle like it or not. I know you are quite capable of apparating on your own, but we should be together. The week before term ended should be proof enough for both of us."

Harry began to open his mouth but Hermione put a finger to his lips and her eyes became bright.

"Don't you dare say that it's your fault or that you're sorry - again. I'm just as much at fault as you are."

She embraced him and they held each other tight for a long time before Hermione slowly pulled away their hands, touching, sliding away - a personal link.

"I love you with all my heart."

"I love you more than words can say."

*

*

*

*

The days since Hermione's last visit positively dragged by. The novelty of using a mobile had worn off from the previous summer. And besides, with a charmed mirror he could see Hermione as well as talk to her. But it was easy to tell that all his friends were very occupied doing something for the Order. He kept Hedwig busy with deliveries of the Daily Prophet and even issues of the Quibbler. When his Aunt didn't have him busy around the house he would spend a lot of time pouring over articles and advertisements, in either one, looking for signs for something that was about to happen.

Now, another monotonous day was drawing to a close and he put his glasses down feeling frustrated but with a lighter conscious. He had finally suggested to his Aunt that he be Secret-Keeper for them, including Dudley. His offer was met with an emphatic "No". Before he drifted off to an uneasy sleep he knew something would have to be done about their protection whether they wanted it or not.

Harry was jolted awake by something bright and shining next to his bed.

"Harry, it's happened. Get dressed, Hermione will be there shortly," Dumbledore's voice spoke with urgency from his phoenix patronus.

Harry threw back the covers and leaped to turn on the light and scrambled to get dressed. He was unconcerned about how much noise he was making in the process or what time of night it was.

"What's going on?" Vernon's voice, thick with sleep, came from the hallway.

Hermione apparated with a loud pop looking as though she had just thrown on clothes herself. Her curly hair had that pillow look to match a wrinkled pink top and denim shorts. But there was fear in her chocolate brown eyes as she stretched out an arm for Harry to side-along.

The bedroom door opened revealing Harry with a girl in his room in the middle of the night.

"Now see here!"

"Sorry Uncle Vernon. I have to go."

Harry took hold of Hermione tightly.

"Where are we go- "

They disapparated and then apparated.

" -ing?"

The first thing Harry saw were wands being pointed at them. Without hesitation and without thought, using wandless magic, he sent their wands flying. The next instant he was holding his own wand pointing at the group in front of them.

"Harry, over here," Dumbledore said calmly motioning for him and Hermione.

It was the tone of Dumbledore's voice that made him put his wand down. The five Aurors in front of them who had been at a loss for words now spoke in hushed voices.

"Harry Potter? . . . Sweet mother of Merlin . . . Did you see how fast he was?"

Harry looked around and realized Hermione had apparated them to the Ministry. He held out the Auror's wands.

"Sorry,"

A large wizard with a square jaw clenched his teeth in displeasure at being unarmed so easily, took the wands.

"If you hadn't shown up in muggle clothes," the Auror growled inferring the reason for drawing their wands.

Dumbledore motioned for them again and they made their way toward him.

"Harry, it's very important that you identify this body."

Harry looked down on the floor and saw - Voldemort. Hermione gasped as Harry blinked in disbelief.

Harry felt numb as his mind raced. Was it really him? Could it really be over?

"Harry is it really him?" Hermione whispered.

'I should know,' he thought to himself.

The pain of the scar on his forehead had been there for so long he sometimes forgot about it. But it was still there. Now he wondered if maybe it was a lingering pain that it would soon be gone forever. His heart raced at the thought, the hope. He turned his mind inward. Barriers that he had spent so long putting in place he brought down - looking for proof.

High pitched laughter began to grow in his mind. He put both hands up to his forehead for the growing pain. Louder and louder. It was so loud it felt like his head was vibrating. He struggled to put back up the mental barriers. It wasn't working. The short lived euphoria from the hope that Voldemort was dead had been replaced by panic. It was too soon after the mental attack that had been used to incapacitate him the month before. He was sure his teeth were beginning to chatter from the sheer volume of Voldemort's cruel laughter. Hermione reached out her hand and touched him, and then gripped him, hugged him tight.

It was gone, as though shut off by a switch. He lowered his hands and looked into her panicked face.

'Did she hear it too?' he wondered.

Fudge watched their behavior with a frown waiting for an answer.

"No, it's not him."

"What? What do you mean? He-who-must-not-be-named is clearly dead. His body is right here on the floor," blustered Cornelius Fudge turning red faced.

"Excuse me Minister," Percy Weasley interrupted. "What preparations should be done for the body of Rufus Scrimgeour?

"He will lie in state and be celebrated as a hero who gave his life in the line of duty -"

"Harry, Hermione, come along," Dumbledore directed them to step aside. He then hooked the little finger of his left hand with the index finger of his right and looked at Hermione. Hermione immediately took Harry's hand and a link was established.

*

*

"What's going on? Is Scrimgeour dead? Is Fudge Minister again?"

"Unfortunately, yes. And you have confirmed my suspicion that this body of Voldemort is that of an imposter. The imposter was likely a death-eater using Polyjuice and either volunteered for this or was put under the Imperious Curse. A battle was fought here this evening. Five Death Eaters, including this Voldemort, attacked the Ministry. Two Death Eaters were killed along with the fake Voldemort. When this imposter was killed the rest fled. Three Ministry officials and two Aurors were killed. The end result of Scrimgeour's death along with the two other Ministry officials leaves Cornelius as acting Interim Minister. There were also other injuries. Kingsley Shacklebolt is at Saint Mungo's and I will ask all members of the Order, except Tonks, not to visit him. Cornelius is once again in the position of the power he covets most. He will be more dangerous than he was before."

"What do you mean?" Harry raged. "Is Fudge going to do the same bloody thing he did before? Is he really that stupid?"

"We must prepare that he will. And Voldemort must believe so or he wouldn't have sacrificed the pawns that he did. When this link is ended I would like the two of you to discreetly leave. I will ask you both to establish a link with the entire Order at seven o'clock this morning. Until then spend some time together. And I might also suggest you phone your aunt before returning. Who knows, she might prefer you spend a few days away after this morning's event."

*

*

The link was broken. Dumbledore casually stepped to Fudge's side blocking a view of Harry and Hermione.

"Minister, might I suggest a simple test for poly-juice."

"I see no reason for it."

"To quell the frightened public asking for proof."

"The proof will be his body on public display . . ."

Having managed to walk beyond the crowd Hermione whispered.

"I want to go back to my parents and tell them everything is all right."

Harry knew everything was far from all right but what else could they tell her parents. They held each other tight as Hermione disapparated.

*

*

*

After a short visit with Hermione's parents they decided to go to headquarters. Neither of them wanted to worry her parents more than they were and neither of them could consider trying to get more sleep. With no other place to go Harry and Hermione ended up in the kitchen drinking chocolate flavored coffee. Harry raged on the stupidity of the Ministry and politicians in general. He was fiercely animated and his words were peppered with swearing. He finally concluded by slamming his fist on the heavy wooden table.

"Merlin, I'm frustrated. Anyway, I've been carrying on for almost an hour and you've hardly said a word. By the way, I appreciate the concealment spell. I wasn't even thinking about anyone else who might be asleep. Looks like we still have another three hours before seven o'clock."

"You know Harry this can get really bad. We can't physically attack the Ministry to try and force them to believe Voldemort is still alive. Don't get me wrong, I would like to curse some sense into the lot of them myself if I thought it would work. We can't fall for the temptation to divide the magical community between those who believe us and those who want to believe he's really dead this time. I mean it would focus the Ministry's resources against us instead of Voldemort. I wouldn't be surprised if all the death-eaters at Azkaban are pardoned and released."

"What? You don't really think that could happen?"

"Actually I do. Even worse, the Dementors might be welcomed back by the new Ministry. They'll argue as to why not since Voldemort is dead."

"No," Harry gasped in disbelief. "They'd be fools to do that."

"You just ranted for two hours about how stupid they are. So, you tell me."

Harry was dumbfounded by the sheer audacity that the new Ministry, under Fudge, could do such things. And yet, he could believe they might do just that. He sat down next to Hermione, put his elbows on the table and put his head in his hands.

"What are we going to do?"

"More than we did last time, that's for sure," Hermione said with assurance.

Harry cocked his head sideways at Hermione. With growing admiration and grin to match he straightened and then twisted to embrace her.

"You're absolutely right. We are going to do a lot more. We're not twitchy little kids anymore."

"Twitchy? Speak for yourself," Hermione teased.

"You know, you're quite a witch, Hermione Granger. I don't know what I'd do without you."

Harry looked deep into chocolate brown eyes.

'Oh, my,' Hermione thought as her heart skipped a beat.

"You talk too much," she whispered.

Time passed and someone stumbled through the kitchen door.

"Whoa, I thought the kitchen was empty."

"Tonks!" Harry said in surprise as he and Hermione jumped up from snogging.

"What happened to your arm? And that scrape on your face? Were you at the Ministry?" Hermione asked concerned.

"Uh, well," Tonks gave a lifting motion with her arm in a sling. "I was at the Ministry alright. We got the alarm and I apparated to the Ministry but I did this falling down a flight of stairs on the way to the action. Embarrassing really . . . so bloody clumsy. I should have been able to do something. Kingsley's in bad shape. The - the Mediwizards don't think he's going to make it."

Tonks took a seat knocking over Hermione's coffee cup in the process.

"I - I'm sorry," she whispered and hung her head and cried silently.

Hermione whisked the spill away with a wave of her wand and patted Tonks on the back.

Harry's memory flashed back to an embarrassing moment when he sobbed uncontrollably over Sirius death in this very kitchen, at this very table. The thought of a toast to another fallen comrade made his jaw tighten. And Hermione's words of doing "More than we did last time" were still ringing in his head.

"Dumbledore asked us to link at seven o'clock but I doubt he knew about Kingsley's condition. Even though it's six o'clock I think Hermione and I should link. Are you up to it?" he asked.

Tonks nodded.

As he and Hermione reached out to touch hands Harry hesitated.

"How do you suppose this works if someone is asleep? - I guess we'll find out."

*

*

"Harry, Hermione, you are early. I assume everyone is here?"

Amazingly enough, everyone was. Those who had been asleep were wondering if they were dreaming but they were assured that they were not. Dumbledore told everyone that Scrimgeour was dead and about the battle at the Ministry and of the other deaths. Tonks then told everyone how bad off Kingsley was. There was a sudden flurry of thoughts about what to do and what would happen next.

"Please, everyone. This link should be a forum of exchanging information. I suggest that an emergency meeting of the Order be held as soon as possible. All those who can attend, should. I, however, will be unable to attend. I am currently under arrest."

"What?"

"No!"

"When?"

"How? Surely you didn't let them."

"You knew this might happen. That's why you had Harry and I leave."

"Yes, I surmised it was a trap. But sometimes the best course of action is to spring the trap."

"I was hoping you could do something for Kingsley. But now that you're under arrest . . ." Harry's thought trailed off.

"Something can be done for Kingsley. You and Hermione will do it - with Nicholas and Perenelle's help. I believe disguises are in order and perhaps a small cup of something to help him heal. Agreed?"

"Yes, we agree. Harry, Hermione, Perenelle and I will meet you at headquarters within the hour."

"Very good, please end the link for now."

*

*

Harry looked at Hermione in surprise.

"I didn't know the Flamels were part of the link."

"I knew they were members of the Order but they've never given a thought in the link before. I suppose it's just their secretive nature."

There was a pop in the entryway and Remus came rushing through the kitchen door.

"Tonks, you're hurt."

"It's not as bad as it looks. I - I just . . ."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other and both decided to leave the kitchen to Remus and Tonks.

On the other side of the kitchen door Harry was hugged tightly by silken black hair.

"I am sorry my brother. If only Voldemort were so easy to kill."

Tadra did not let go of him. She clung to him and trembled slightly. Harry realized everyone was up. Ron and Ginny were still in their pajamas, the same as Tadra. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were coming down the stairs.

"It was bound to happen. It was only a matter of time. But like this? Scrimgeour dead, Fudge in charge again, what a mess. The Ministry will be in turmoil. I should try to get there early."

"There's little you can do. You'll wait until I've made breakfast," Mrs. Weasley told her husband.

"Are you sure he's not dead mate?" Ron yawned. "I'm not doubting you or anything. I was just hoping, that's all."

"Yes, I'm sure. I could hear him laughing in my head. It was so loud I thought my teeth would start to chatter."

"I heard it too. But it sounded like it was from a distance. It was awful." Hermione gave an involuntary shudder.

Tadra let go of Harry and gave Hermione a hug before stroking back some of Hermione's hair to look at her forehead. Ron and Ginny stepped closer knowing what she was looking for.

"I do not see the mark, but it was there when Voldemort mentally attacked Harry. While you were unconscious it could be clearly seen, my sister. It was the same scar. Because of the Breath of Life you and Harry are more closely bonded than you realize."

"Er, yes, there will be plenty to do. The Flamels will be here soon. I'll make breakfast."

"Ahh, Remus and Tonks."

"Are - ,"

Hermione didn't get a chance to finish for Harry. Remus and Tonks both came through the kitchen door.

"Good, Remus, Tonks, stay for breakfast."

"We were thinking of having breakfast at my place Molly."

"Nonsense, are you saying you don't like my cooking?"

"No, it's just that I want to get back to check on Kingsley," Tonks said with worry in her voice.

"Don't worry dear, Harry and Hermione will have him fixed up soon. Stay and have breakfast. Now that it's happened we should all try to stay together. I even expect Fred and George to show up this morning before they open up their shop. And probably others as well."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other wondering why Mrs. Weasley had so much faith in what they were going to do for Shacklebolt when they didn't know themselves.

*

*

*

*

A plain looking couple in their mid-twenties sat across from a desk, talking with a Mediwizard. A name plate on the desk said Director above his name.

"I'm sorry for your loss, Mr. Tanner. And it's not unusual for someone to leave a donation in their will to St. Mungo's. I'll record it in our log. Now, I want to be sure and get the name correct. You said your father's name was Flint Tanner?"

"Flint Willoughby Tanner. I am William and this is my wife Sarah.

The director looked them over. They were an ordinary looking couple. There was nothing distinguishing about either of them. Mr. Tanner seemed a normal wizard with a full dark-brown beard and pale blue eyes. Mrs. Tanner was smaller with straight light-brown hair and chocolate brown eyes. However, there was something about the two of them that made him feel happy. Maybe it was the radiant smile she had when her husband introduced her as his wife.

"Excuse me, do you have any children?"

"Er, no," she said.

"Not yet," he added and she immediately blushed.

"No children? That's a shame, you're a fine looking couple. If you're having trouble I can recommend making an appointment with Salina Feeney from our staff. There are a number of potions that have had good results - and she is discreet. Anyway, what was the amount of the donation?"

"One hundred galleons."

"It's only a modest sum, but judging from their clothes it's probably all they can afford," came a voice from a portrait on the wall. A wrinkled old woman wearing Mediwizard robes looked on with disdain.

The director's quill suddenly shot sideways across the parchment leaving a nasty ink trail.

"That is precisely why you only lasted as director of St. Mungo's for only one year," he shot back at the portrait on the wall. "Any donation made to St. Mungo's is appreciated - even if it's only a single Knut. Furthermore you would never have become director yourself if your family hadn't left an outrageous sum to the hospital. Er, my apologies," he said looking flustered and turning his attention back to the couple in front of him. "I'm dreadfully sorry. If you would like a tour of the hospital I can give you these name tags. I can assure that you will be treated well by the staff."

*

*

"Harry James Potter. I can't believe you just did that. There are laws you know. You could go to Azkaban."

"What? Dumbledore told us to do whatever was necessary. Do you want to contact him by link and ask?"

"I know what he told us. But you cast an unforgiveable, the Imperious Curse, on that Mediwizard."

"So? I didn't do it by wand. No one can ever trace it. And you know we need to have someone stand guard while we do this. It would have been far simpler to have made the Mediwizard give this to Shacklebolt, but Dumbledore insisted that we had to do it."

"But how? He's unconscious and he's slipping away."

"All he needs is enough strength to swallow this potion. I'll levitate him to sit up. Let's give this a go."

*

*

A plain looking witch with light-brown hair and grey-brown eyes reached into her handbag and removed a small ornate gold cup. A wizard with a full dark-brown beard took out a stone flask from a pocket, removed the seal and poured the contents into the gold cup held out to him. The liquid was glowing, with gold and silver swirls - it looked alive. The wizard paused looking at the gold cup's contents before motioning a free hand at the person lying on a hospital bed between them. Slowly Kingsley Shacklebolt's deathly pale body sat up in bed. The gold cup levitated in front of him. The wizard and witch touched hands, and then each put a free hand on a shoulder. The gold cup levitated upward and tipped as Shacklebolt's head tilted back. They released their grip on his shoulders and he slowly sank back into his bed. The floating cup was retrieved by the witch. They watched intently for a few tense moments. Shacklebolt gasped and breathed a deep breath as his dark color began flooding back to him. The couple touched hands again.

*

*

"With us now?"

"Yes."

"Rest."

"I'll do that, I feel awful."

"We'll see you again soon."

*

*

A young magical couple were about to leave St. Mungo's.

"Stop."

"Yes? Is something wrong?" she asked.

"Oh, I think I know. Sweetheart, we forgot to leave these name tags."

He removed his own and his wife's and held them out to the wizard that had asked them to stop. But the wizard hesitated and didn't take the name tags.

"You were in to see Kingsley Shacklebolt weren't you?"

"I'm sorry, who? We've just taken a tour of the hospital. I'm not sure who you mean."

"My husband's father recently passed away and left a donation to St. Mungo's."

"I see."

The wizard took the name tags.

"What about this Kingsley you mentioned."

"Oh yes, ah, he was one of those injured in the battle at the Ministry where the Minister and He-who-must-not-be-named were killed. I'm sure you've heard. Anyway, he's making a recovery."

"Oh my, we didn't know, but this is good news."

"Splendid that St. Mungo's has such a capable staff. My father's donation was well made."

In the entryway the couple, arm in arm, disapparated with a pop.

With another pop they were suddenly surrounded by trees

"Hey, where are we?"

"Uhmm, well, I've been scouting around a bit for a secluded spot. I kind of like this place. What do you think?"

"Nice."

It did look secluded, but he thought he would check just to make sure. He closed his eyes and had a concentrated look.

"Checking to make sure we're alone?" she asked in her normal voice.

Harry turned to look. The girl he had fallen in love with was wearing a plain looking robe and holding a wand.

"Yes, we're alone."

"Good," she wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. She then stepped back with an odd smile.

"That was different. I'm not sure I care for the beard. And I definitely don't care for the eye color. I want my old Harry back. And don't use your wandless magic. It's starting to become a bad habit. It's kind of like cheating you know."

Harry frowned and reached for his wand.

'Drat, sometimes I think she can read my mind. I wasn't paying as close attention to the spells the Flamels taught us. It was rather a quick lesson for such a complicated set of spells,' Harry thought to himself.

"What's the matter?" Hermione teased.

"Give me a sec," Harry said with agitation as he closed his eyes trying to remember the spells involved.

Harry waved his wand up and down reciting the incantations. His beard shortened and receded to a bare chin and his hair became much more unruly.

"How's that?"

"The eyes, the eyes remember?"

"Oh yeah, that's right," Harry responded before grumbling it would have been easier with wandless magic and then tapped his forehead with his wand and another incantation.

"Satisfied?" Harry asked blinking and reaching for his glasses.

"Hmmmm, maybe."

Hermione took his glasses off and wrapped her arms around his neck again. This kiss was much longer and briefly brightened the shade under the trees in the hot dry afternoon.

"Yeah," she said dreamily before adding with an impish grin "for now."

Hermione put his glasses back on for him and became more serious.

"Looks like Dumbledore was right. Kingsley was being watched. I remember the Auror who stopped us was one of the Aurors who drew their wands when we apparated into the Ministry."

Harry nodded in agreement and was once again amazed at Hermione's attention to detail. He hadn't made the connection with the Auror, but as soon as she said it he remembered.

"I've seen that potion before," he commented
"What? The one we gave Kingsley? I was wondering if it was the Elixir of Life since the Flamels were involved."

"I think it was."

"Oh, I wonder what it tastes like."

"Wonderful, but it's not so much a taste as it is a feeling. A feeling of spring, warm earth, blue sky, flowers in bloom, radiant sunshine, life itself."

Hermione looked at him in wide-eyed surprise.

"When? When did you ever have the Elixir of Life?"

"Snape had me drink it before we performed the Breath of Life. I didn't know what it was at the time. But after seeing the potion we gave Kingsley, I believe that's what it was."

Hermione gave him a penetrating look and put her hand on his chest. He could feel the warmth of her hand and she could feel the beat of his heart. Memories stirred of things from the past and they embraced a long time before letting go again.

"You'll be seventeen in eight more days. Will you be going back to your Aunt and Uncle's till then?"

Harry waved his wand and conjured a bench for them to sit on. After they both sat down, Harry was quiet for some time as Hermione patiently waited. A gentle warm breeze rustled the leaves of the trees as crickets chirped and a Tree Sparrow sang somewhere from the limbs above.

"Well, I still need to give them a call. And I doubt they will want me to come back after last night."

"You want to give them some sort of protection. You feel the responsibility of it even if it's not yours. Even after the way they've treated you all these years they're still family."

"Don't tell them that," Harry grumbled. "I wouldn't want to give them the satisfaction. Besides, they wouldn't believe it anyway. And I would never admit it to anyone but you."

Harry sighed.

"And speaking of family you've really enjoyed Tadra being at Hogwarts this past year. I know I have." Hermione gave a happy laugh. "Sister . . . adopted sister to both of us. It's kind of strange and yet it makes me glad. Now I have two sisters. I'm glad you two were able to work things out. I was concerned after that last lesson you had with Tadra. I asked her about it once and she said that she had taught you everything she could. She wouldn't say anymore."

"Mmm yeah, it's kind of embarrassing. That's the reason I didn't tell you. That last lesson, I forcefully looked inside her mind."

"You what? Harry . . ." Hermione said with a disappointed tone. "It was over Draco wasn't it."

Harry nodded and was silent again for a while.

"She really loves him. I - I had no right. It was a stupid thing to do - to invade someone's privacy. Malfoy is dangerous and that's how I tried to justify it."

"Tadra is dangerous too. Thank Merlin the Beladasans are on our side."

"Oh yeah, she most certainly is dangerous. I've learned more dark . . ."

Harry hadn't meant to let that last little bit slip and stiffened in readiness as Hermione narrowed her eyes.

"Just as I thought. She's been teaching you Dark Magic."

Hermione swore, stood up with a jerk, and faced Harry sternly.

"We've been over this before. You know I don't approve of Dark Magic."

"And you know what my reasons are," Harry said holding back his irritation. "I need to know what I'm up against. When I'm in battle I need to be able to anticipate as much as possible. It's a matter of survival Hermione. I have to win."

"I - I understand. It's just that there's something about Dark Magic. It can . . ."

"It can be alluring as much as it can be disgusting. And I don't intend to use it unless I have to."

"Good."

Hermione sighed and sit back down next to Harry.

"Anyway, I assume you apologized to Tadra?"

"Yes, and she forgave me."

Hermione gave him a hug.

"See, isn't that what family is all about."

"I suppose we should change into our muggle clothes and I'll call Aunt Petunia with the mobile."

"In a hurry to leave?" Hermione asked faking a pout, "I went to a lot of effort to find this place."

"Er, no. Not at all. We've got several hours to kill . . . the afternoon . . . maybe till dark?"

"You talk too much."

Once again the shade under the trees brightened as more song birds gathered happily singing in the trees above the young couple.