Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

************************** Merry Christmas Magorian ************************************

They arrived with a pop at the Leaky Cauldron. Tadra, Azizi and her two older brothers were at a table talking amongst themselves while Dumbledore was discussing something with Stronan at another table. Harry did a double take when he saw Stronan. Without his headdress he looked very different than what Harry remembered. And of course it made sense that none of the Beladasan would want to attract more attention than necessary. A quick look at Tadra's radiant smile told him all was well.

"Ah, Harry good to see you. Please join us." Dumbledore stood and motioned for Harry to join him and Stronan.

Hermione gave him a smile and a nod before making her way over to Tadra and her brothers. Dumbledore shook Harry's hand and they exchanged the sign as Stronan stood and gave Harry a short bow.

"It is good to see you again . . . " Stronan said with a pause. "I feel I must apologize for having put you in a most awkward position when last you left our village. I was trying -"

"To protect Tadra. I understand, Tadra explained the situation."

Stronan gave a nod before continuing.

"I beg your forgiveness," Stronan waited patiently.

Stronan's manner of apology made Harry feel uncomfortable. It didn't seem quite right that a powerful wizard such as Stronan would ask Harry's forgiveness. After all, Stronan had made a decision to remove his daughter from harm. And Harry wondered if he would have done the same if he had been in Stronan's place.

"I . . . of course, it all worked out. I mean, I have a sister now."

"Yes, you do. You have taken excellent care of your sister - my son."

Harry blinked in surprise at the words "my son´. There was brightness in Stronan's dark eyes that spoke of restrained emotion as arms opened and Harry accepted a warm embrace before taking a seat.

"Stronan and his sons are looking for a place to stay. The Leaky Cauldron has excellent accommodations but I was thinking of a more secure location." Dumbledore eyed Harry over his half-moon glasses. "Maybe you have another suggestion?"

"My place," Harry said resolutely.

"I am honored, my son."

"Trust me, I'm the one who is honored."

Dumbledore addressed the formalities of divulging the location of number twelve, Grimmauld Place, and they made arrangements to discreetly make their way there. Harry learned that apparating to an unknown place can be tricky business but if the location is also unplottable and under protection of a Secret Keeper there is no choice but to go there by other means, the first time.

Tadra would take Azizi and Khalfani on her carpet at dusk. Stronan and Naheem would go on foot. Dumbledore and Hermione, with Harry as side-along to Hermione, apparated ahead of everyone else. Just before disapparating Dumbledore asked Harry and Hermione to link and inform the Order of Harry's guests at headquarters.

With his wooden leg clunking on the floor, Moody rounded the corner in the entryway upon their arrival, looking more grim than usual.

"Alastor, is something wrong?" Dumbledore asked.

"Bad news," Moody growled.

Harry had a feeling of dread as Moody continued, blunt and to the point.

"Emmaline Vance is dead - murdered. It happened near 10 Downing Street early this afternoon. There was no Dark Mark but Kingsley and others, including myself, think it was Death Eaters."

"But we just saw her the other day. She went with me and Ron to the Ministry," Hermione said numbly, taking hold of Harry's arm.

While Dumbledore looked as though he were trying to make a decision, Harry managed to choke out a question.

"Who else?"

"No one that I know of," Moody growled in reply.

Dumbledore studied Harry over his half-moon glasses before asking Moody more.

"Where did the information come from?"

"Snape."

With the extra information, Dumbledore made a decision.

"Alastor, you and I will call together a meeting of the Order for tomorrow evening at eight o'clock for all those who can attend."

"Would you prefer we do a link?" Harry offered.

"Thank you for the offer but I think the news of Emmaline's death should be given personally where possible."

"Is anyone else in the house?" Dumbledore asked Moody as he removed his half-moon glasses and cleaned them slowly.

"Some of the Weasley's are in the kitchen. Arthur and Molly are taking it hard."

"Would you and Hermione care to join them? Alastor and I will tend to contacting the others."

Mr. Weasley and Ginny were drinking tea, looking pensive, while Mrs. Weasley was serving Ron some Christmas dinner leftovers. It was an ordinary scene, but tension was in the air and there were subtle signs that all was not what it seemed. Mrs. Weasley had some redness around her eyes. Ron was eating slowly, not his normal 'shovel it in' pace.

"Harry, Hermione, I'm so glad to see you both. I suppose Moody has already told you. Sit down, sit down. Can I get you anything? Some tea? Something to eat?"

They both accepted teacups that levitated to them onto the table.

"Hermione dear, how is your mum and dad? Has Miranda grown?" Mrs. Weasley asked.

The mood of the room lifted some as Hermione and Harry told of their visit to Hermione's parents and baby Miranda. But part way through the telling a pop of someone apparating in the entryway was heard. An umbrella stand crashed to the floor and a female voice swore.

"Tonks is that you dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked through the kitchen doorway.

As everyone expected, Tonks entered the kitchen, sporting medium length curly brown hair. Harry thought to himself that it didn't suit her. She looked better in shorter hair.

"Have you heard?" she asked.

"Yes, Moody told us. Molly and I've known Emmaline for many years."

"No, the Changs. The Changs have been murdered."

"What?"

"The entire family?"

"Cho?"

"Not sure, I only heard there was more than one death. And there was no Dark Mark."

**

**

Christmas day had started out so well and now, was turning as dark as the approaching night. Stronan and Naheem arrived first. Harry and Hermione quickly informed them of the day's tragedies.

"You and Lady Ast will inform your sister when she arrives, my son?"

"Yes, we will."

"Please, Hermione will do."

"As you wish," Stronan replied. He and Naheem gave Hermione a short bow.

Tadra and her brothers arrived as soon as it became dark. Tadra's eyes burned like hot dark coals when Harry and Hermione told her what had happened.

Harry gathered the Beladasans in the living room and everyone who happened to be at the estate greeted them. The Weasley's drifted back to the kitchen and the Beladasans were very understanding of the stress and grief over the murders that had occurred.

"My son, is there anything we can do to be of assistance in this time of trouble?"

"Not that I'm aware of. I'll show you your rooms. After that I can give a tour of the house and then we'll have dinner at eight."

During the tour Stronan commented on the serpentine décor.

"You know, I'm not really fond of it. If you don't mind I think I'd like to change it."

Harry pulled out his wand and the gaudy silver hardware changed to highly polished brass with phoenix design in place of the serpentine.

"There, I should have done that before."

Everyone was impressed with Harry's change, but Harry complimented Dobby for how clean and tidy the place had become.

**

**

Naheem slipped away from the tour of the house when he spied Ginny.

"Miss Ginny Weasley, have we met before?"

"Is that a pickup line? Because we met earlier in the living room."

"Excuse me? No, what I mean to say is your eyes betrayed recognition when we greeted earlier. But I do not believe we have met before today."

"Oh, I see. Well, it's just that you bear a striking resemblance to someone. Someone I must have seen at the Magusa. He was much older and wore a gold ring with a burning blue stone."

Ginny looked briefly at Naheem's right hand ring finger before saying "Excuse me" and turned away. But Naheem took tight hold of her arm.

"You can see the Beladasan ring?" he asked intently with piercing dark eyes.

"I beg your pardon. Let go of me."

Ginny shook loose from his grip and took a step back as color rose in her face and she clasped her fingers tightly about something unseen hanging from her neck. She let go quickly when Naheem's eyes followed.

"I don't know what you're talking about. You obviously don't have such a ring. And I don't care if you are Harry's adopted brother. If you grab me like that again you'll get a curse you won't soon forget."

Naheem felt that she was lying to him, but his moment of passion faded as logic finally kicked in against the impossible.

"Please forgive me. My father has often told me I act with my heart before my head."

Naheem bowed deeply.

"Yes, you do, but it's not always a bad thing to follow your heart. It just has to be the right thing . . ." Ginny's eyes brightened as she suddenly looked sad. "Anyway, it's of no concern. I - I have to go."

Ginny left with a small choke to her words. Naheem started to follow but heard his name called from down the hall.

**
**

Most in the house attended the lavish dinner, but were still fairly full from Christmas dinner at noon and didn't stay long. The murders of the Changs and Emmaline were upon everyone's mind. Soon, all that was left was Harry, Hermione, and the Beladasans.

"It is regrettable our visit coincides with tragedy but we live in dark times. However, this was a truly exceptional meal, my son."

Harry grinned. He wasn't sure if he could get used to Stronan calling him son.

"We should really thank the cook. Dobby, would you show yourself."

Dobby appeared beside Harry wearing a brightly colored scarf about his neck, timidly looking about.

"Has Dobby done something wrong Harry Potter?"

"No, not at all. Everyone thought it was an exceptional meal and I wanted them to meet the cook." Dobby looked about at the Beladasans with surprise and then back at Harry.

"You thank Dobby in front of other wizards and witches?" Dobby squeaked. "Dobby does not deserve such honor. Dobby only does what is expected of a house-elf. Harry Potter is truly a great wizard."

"Er, yes, thank you Dobby. I see you're still wearing the scarf I got you for Christmas, and thank you again for the socks."

Dobby clutched at the scarf with a huge toothy grin.

"You've met Azizi this morning but I wanted you to meet Tadra's father, Stronan, and her other brothers Khalfani and Naheem. They are from the desert near the Jaharu."

"Harry Potter introduces Dobby to other wizards," Dobby squeaked and then sniffed and dabbed at his large eyes with his scarf. "Dobby is truly honored, but the Jaharu is a terrible place. House-elves stays away from the Jaharu."

"It seems that since I have adopted Tadra as my sister they in return have adopted me," Harry said smiling.

"Dobby is honored to be friend of Harry Potter and Harry Potter's adopted family." Dobby bowed in rapid succession to each, making his large ears flop. "The Weaseys and Bela-dasans are both Harry Potter's family - and his 'Mione."

Dobby began to ramble how great a wizard Harry was, making Harry feel more and more uncomfortable.

"Ah, yes, thank you Dobby. That's all very flattering. Maybe I could get you to accept some money for taking care of the house?"

Dobby looked mortified.

"Dobby is employed by Hogwarts. Dumbledore is headmaster. Headmaster has asked Dobby to stay with Harry Potter this holiday. Dobby will not be paid twice. Dobby has work to do."

Dobby faded away.

Everyone laughed at the good natured banter between Harry and Dobby.

"You certainly know how to get him to leave by offering pay," Hermione chuckled.

"I had to. It was about all the praise I could handle. And knowing that he really means it just makes it that much worse."

"Anyway, I think I'll go check on things," Hermione said getting up from her seat next to Harry. "By the way, Tadra informed me earlier that they want to formally adopt you. I suggested the drawing room." With a knowing smile, Hermione kissed Harry on the cheek before she left.

*

Gathered in the drawing room Stronan pulled out his ornate metallic wand and squelched the door, drew the curtains closed, and cast a concealment spell.

"This is a private family matter," he offered in explanation. Stronan pulled something from one of his ringed fingers and held it out to Harry.

Harry looked over a gold ring with a dark blue stone and was instructed to put it on his right had ring finger.

"We are the Beladasan's, the caretakers of the desert. We protect the living fire. Now, as the stone of my ring touches the stone of your ring, you will become family to the Beladasan."

Each holding out a right fist, the stones of the rings touched. A hot wind whirled about Harry blowing his hair and clothes. Blue flame engulfed him, but did not burn.

"Welcome Harry Potter, we are honored."

Just as quickly, everything was back to normal and Harry realized everyone on the Beladasan's had a ring with a fire blue stone. Harry looked at his own ring and discovered the dark blue stone was now a fire blue.

"No one, but family can see the Beladasan ring. Welcome, my son."

Everyone in turn, gave Harry a hug before the privacy spells were removed and they left the drawing room. Harry found Hermione waiting for him in the hallway.

"My, you certainly look happy. By the way, Bill, Fleur, Fred, and George have popped in." Hermione smiled and gave Harry a hug. "And look at the ring. It's beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a stone so blue. It almost looks like it's on fire. And you've all got the same ring. Er, did I say something wrong?"

"Nothing is wrong, Hermione Granger," Stronan reassured her and then paused in thought. "May we invite you to the drawing room for a minute of your time?"

**

**

"I am most pleased to have a sister among so many brothers. Although, with Harry as my brother I expected one day you would become my sister, but not so soon. I am most pleased, my sister."

There was a sparkle in Hermione's eyes when next she spoke.

"Actually Harry and I are rather young to be thinking of things like marriage. We don't really come right out and talk about marriage. Harry laments about being an only child and I understand. Well, I mean I was practically an only child myself but now I have Miranda. She's so beautiful and I love her so. And now I have another sister." Hermione smiled. "Anyway we both think a married couple should have more than one child. And I know Harry misses his mum and dad that he really never knew. But the Weasley's, and now you, your brothers and father, have become family to him. He may not say it but family means a great deal to him. I love him Tadra. Sometimes it's almost scary how much I love him. And I can't imagine a future without him. But sometimes I catch myself wondering if things would have been different if I hadn't been attacked. Listen to me ramble."

"The spark of love was already there or the Breath of Life would never have worked, my sister." Tadra looked about the living room taking in the commotion. "Ginny Weasley is busy amongst her family. She is most adept in social skills," Tadra said approvingly. After a short pause she asked Hermione, "Do you believe Cho Chang is dead?"

"I don't know. I hope not. It's just awful. If she is alive, her parents will be dead, and killed on Christmas day."

"Across the room, our brother approaches," Tadra looked on as Harry came toward them.

"Harry?"

"If Harry is my brother and you are my sister, does not that make you brother and sister? Or maybe - lovers?" Tadra teased.

"Adopted," Hermione stressed. "And we haven't . . . oh you're really bad Tadra. Sometimes you remind me of my friend Melanie," Hermione whispered back to Tadra so Harry wouldn't overhear.

"I ever tell you how beautiful you look when you blush?"

"N-no, well, I'm not sure," Hermione stuttered looking into emerald green eyes.

Harry gave Hermione a gentle kiss, pushing back the desire to whisk her away to some place more private.

Ginny and Ron approached looking pleased.

"Go ahead Ron, tell them."

"Er, well. Bill and Fleur are getting married."

Harry, Hermione, and Tadra looked at him blankly.

"They know that Ron."

"Oh, right. They've decided to get married right away - Saturday, the fourth."

"Really?" Hermione asked with a hint of growing excitement.

Ginny quickly filled in the details.

"Fleur's parents are already in town, and they decided now was as good a time as any. Gabrielle will be the flower girl and they want Azizi to be the ring bearer. Stronan has objected because Azizi is still in trouble for the stunt he pulled but Fleur has a way of getting what she wants."

Bill and Fleur approached.

"I assume all of you 'ave already been told? Good. 'Owever, we would ask a favor of you 'Arry."

"Would it be alright if we had the wedding at your place Harry?" Bill asked.

"My place? . . . Oh, right! I'm not used to thinking of it as mine. I mean - of course you can!"

"Wonderful 'Arry. I cannot thank you enough."

As conversation escalated on talk of preparations, Harry felt it had been a long Christmas day. It had started out wonderfully as Hermione had given him a wake up kiss after Ron left them alone in pursuit of breakfast. The loss of Emmaline Vance and the news of the Chang's murders was a terrible blow to what was supposed to be a festive holiday. Harry recalled seeing Cho in front of Quality Quidditch Supplies a day before Christmas Eve. He wondered if that was his last memory of her alive. At least wedding plans would help keep everyone from dwelling on the murders. It was a welcome diversion.

Hermione nudged him.

"Sorry, what did you say Bill?"

"Would you like to be a groomsman? Ron has already said yes."
"Yes." Harry grinned broadly. "But what does a groomsman do?"

"Keeps the groom out of trouble, but mainly provides moral support."

"Out of trouble? At least until the wedding," Fred added, slapping Bill on the shoulder. "All bets are off after that."

"Maybe a levitating spell in case you get weak knees during the ceremony," George offered slapping Bill's other shoulder.

"I'm sure I'll be fine."

"I want Ginny to be my chief bridesmaid. I also want you to be a bridesmaid 'Ermione. Bill and I want to invite ze entire Order to ze wedding as well as the Beladasans." Fleur turned to Bill. "Are you sure Dumbledore will permit my parents to attend? 'E is ze secret keeper. 'E let ze Beladsans stay."

"I don't think it will be a problem," Bill told her reassuringly, casting a glance toward Harry.

"I'm sure it'll be fine," Harry responded.

The next morning Dumbledore gave consent for Fleur's parents and sister to visit Grimmauld Place. When Bill and Fleur asked him to preside the wedding ceremony, Harry thought Dumbledore looked very pleased.

In the afternoon the wedding party gathered at Malkin's Robes for All Occasions to be measured for dress robes. However, Harry would not have dreamed it would take so long to decide upon dress robes. Simple decisions were not simple at all, or maybe that was the nature of weddings. The groomsmen all had to have matching dress robes. And, as Harry learned, the colors of dress robes for the groomsmen had to be complimenting to the bridesmaids - another complication. The only simple decision was that Bill would wear a white dress robe. But even that seemed to get complicated in how it fit on him. The women of the bridal party would all periodically traipse out of their dressing room and make comparisons with their male counterparts. Fleur was always covered with something over her white wedding robes because it was bad luck for the groom to see his bride in her wedding robes before the ceremony. Mr. Weasley and Fleur's father, Monsier Delacour, were there for their own personal dress robes. That fact did not exclude them from the scrutiny of their wives or daughters.

Monsier Delacour could be described as plump with a small pointed beard. He had an easy charm, and witty - probably good qualities to have in catching the eye of a half-veela as wife. Between the interims he would give snippets of advice about women.

"Gentlemen, it is always wise to let women be women no matter 'ow irritating zey may seem. Patience will be rewarded in due time."

"Well said," Mr. Weasley agreed. "That's one you lads you should try to remember."

Azizi was acting more like his energetic self, outside the presence of his father. Since Stronan's arrival Azizi had acted very restrained, quiet and well mannered. Harry was sure Azizi was trying to make every effort to lessen whatever punishment awaited him when he returned home. That fact made it easy for Harry to keep Azizi under control.

"My brother, may I perform some magic?" Azizi asked pleadingly.

"Your father and older brothers are not here to give you permission."

"But you are my brother now. Just a few small spells?"

"This is not the desert Azizi. If I'm not allowed to do magic I certainly can't give you permission."

"Please, my brother."

"What do you suppose your punishment will be when you get back?"

It was just like throwing a cold bucket of water on the young Azizi. His eyes got big and he looked very subdued. The change was so dramatic that Harry almost felt guilty, well almost.

"Gabrielle seems to like you."

Azizi brightened.

"Gabrielle Delacour is most pretty, for a girl."

"Why don't you go ask Mr. Weasley what a ring bearer and the flower girl are supposed to do."

Now that Mr. Weasley and Mr. Delacour were occupied with Azizi, Harry and Ron were free to talk with Bill and Charlie.

"We thought we should tell you there's going to be an Induction for three new members."

"Tonight?" Harry asked.

"No Sunday morning at eight."

"This will be the first one I've attended since my own. One of the three is an old girlfriend of Percy's. What was her name Bill?"

"Penelope Clearwater. The other two are, Jason Stout and Travis Brack. The Induction will be held Just outside of London in an old abandoned monastery."

Everyone agreed they needed more members, but Clearwater becoming a member seemed a surprise.

"Bill, I see that Fleur and your mum are managing to get along?"

"That would be Ginny's doing. Our little sister has grown up in a hurry. She's become the family peacemaker. I wouldn't be surprised if she's been trying to talk to Percy."

"Ginny always fancied you Harry. You might have become a member of the family if you and Hermione weren't an item."

Bill noticed how uncomfortable Harry looked.

"Not that we don't already see you as a member of the family, but you know what Charlie means. And I've been meaning to ask. How does this communication thing with the Order work, this link?"

"It would be nice if the rest of us could do it," Charlie added. "Mirrors and messenger spells, or as a last resort - owls, are all we can use."

"I'm not really sure. Hermione and I have to do it together. We can't seem do it separately."

"Interesting, what else can you do together?" Bill asked.

"Besides snogging?" Ron teased and then laughed while color rose in Harry's face. Bill and Charlie chuckled knowingly.

"Yes, I mean besides snogging. The Breath of Life is ancient magic. I wouldn't be surprised if there's more."

"I don't know if there is or not."

"You and Ron have changed since you came out of the Jaharu. It's amazing that a stunning spell doesn't affect Ron."

"What do you mean? It still hurts ya know."

"Mum has forbid us to cast any more stunning spells at him."

"She said we were going to destroy headquarters from all the ricocheted spells. Great fun while it lasted though," Charlie said grinning as Harry snickered.

"Fun for who?" Ron asked indignant.

"Don't take it so personal Ron. I'm still wanting to know if you'd consider working with dragons. Your uncanny strength would be a great asset."

"Dunno, Quidditch might be an option too. There's no denying I'd make a great Keeper."

Harry gave a sideways nod at Ron.

"Would you listen to this. All the confidence in the world now. You would have made a good Keeper before you got your strength if you would have only had a bit of confidence. And this is coming from your captain."

"Ron told us about a growl you can do Harry, says you made Malfoy wet himself. I have to agree with Mad Eye that it wasn't good to show that ability. I understand you got that from the desert. Some sort of mark?" Bill asked.

"Er, yeah, they call it the Mark of the Beast, but what happened with Malfoy - I didn't mean to really. It just sort of happened."

"How about a giving us one," Charlie asked as he and Bill looked expectant.

Ron immediately took up the defense.

"No, that wouldn't be a good idea. Not here. The others might not appreciate it."

"Maybe in a more private setting sometime?"

The whole incident with Malfoy was not entirely to his liking and he wanted off this particular subject about the Mark of the Beast.

"Sure, ah . . . why didn't you ask Fred and George to be groomsmen?" Harry asked wanting to change the topic.

"I know my brothers. They would much rather avoid all this and have the freedom to make mischief. Besides, Fleur thinks it's cute to have groomsmen paired with bridesmaids. She really wanted a close friend of hers from school to be chief bridesmaid, but we moved the date up and it would be problematic bringing more outsiders to Grimmauld Place."

"But it's a safe place."

"Thanks for understanding Harry."

Mrs. Weasley entered the room looking flustered and excited at the same time.

"Fleur has decided the bridesmaid's robes will be cherry blossom instead of periwinkle. That means the groomsmen's dress robes will have to change from sapphire to forest green."

There were a number of groans from the room.

"Be brave men. I'm sure we'll have several more hours yet to endure," Mr. Weasley said jokingly. It was a mach rally of encouragement that brought on snickers and chortles from the group. Mrs. Weasley then wagged a finger at the room making the chortles change to laughter before she left.

An owl swooped in through the door and dropped an envelope at Mr. Weasley. He caught it and began to read quickly.

The women gathered at the doorway of the men's fitting room.

"Arthur?"

No matter what point of fitting everyone was involved with the only sound in the store was Madam Malkin's charmed tape measure zipping around Azizi's body. The thought of more bad news was on everyone's mind. Even Madam Malkin watched with curiosity as Mr. Weasley finally looked up from the parchment.

"Cho Chang is alive, but in a bad way at St. Mungo's. The rest of the Chang's are dead."

"Do you think she can have visitors?" Harry asked.

"As long as the Mediwizard says it's okay."

***

***

***

"This will be a welcome change, not having to wonder what goes on at a meeting of the Order."

"We're still not full members, Harry. I doubt there will be anything of a truly vital nature disclosed."

"Because I'm still a security risk."

"Well, you have to admit there is the potential. But you've come a long way in your Occlumency lessons with Tadra. Is everyone else already at the meeting? Ron, Tadra, Ginny?"

Harry nodded in the affirmative before asking.

"Hedwig and Hue?"

"They're off. Pig looked so disappointed, but I wanted to be sure the message got there tonight."

"I'm glad you thought to owl Neville and Luna to see if they want to go to St. Mungo's with us tomorrow."

Before opening the door, Hermione stopped.

"I think you should nominate the Beladasan's for membership to the Order. Azizi will likely be too young. But I don't see that as a problem per se." Hermione held up her hand with a fire blue gold ring, indicating that Azizi could still be identified by his family.

"I - of course I should. I should have already thought of it. Good thing I've got you around."

"Yes, it is," Hermione said with a smile.

Harry leaned in close and gave her a kiss before going in.

Tonks greeted them at the door with a handshake, exchanging the sign and nodding to Mad Eye that all was well. It was a standard procedure to make sure no one had been compromised with the imperious curse. Mad Eye would most certainly curse anyone that did not pass the sign.

Harry looked around the room and was surprised to see Remus at the meeting. He looked awful, as he sipped on something that apparently tasted bad. Then it occurred to Harry that it was probably Wolfsbane potion.

Dumbledore opened the meeting with a question of old business that could be discussed in present company. With no response they moved onto current business and Kingsley gave a report on the latest sightings of Dementors. The next report was from Remus and Mad Eye on research to find better ways of dealing with Dementors. The ultimate goal of their research was to destroy Dementors. Next was Snape's report, and everyone came to attention.

"The Dark Lord has developed an interest in magical creatures of the desert. More specifically - the Jaharu. There is also speculation that he has begun experimentation on select Dementors. This is inconclusive and only rumor. But if true it would only be for personal gain in extending his own life."

Snape paused to let the gruesome aspects of such a thing sink in before continuing.

"On another matter. I believe I should take personal credit for betraying Emmaline."

"Why?"

"For what purpose?"

"To keep my position secure in the Dark Lord's inner circle. I feel I have earned it - having dispatched Emmaline's murderer from this world personally."

"Severus, you know I do not approve. We kill only in self defense, and only as a last resort," Dumbledore reproached.

"I'm sorry, but it was in the heat of the moment. I was the first person Jed Sedlack bragged to of his kill. No one will ever find his remains," Snape said with a menacing sneer.

"How do we know you didn't actually do it?"

Snape's lip curled at Harry's question.

"You desire proof, Potter? Very well, extend your hand."

Snape made his way to Harry and shook his hand brusquely, exchanging the sign.

"There is your proof. Try not to insult your superiors."

Harry fumed, personally unconvinced.

"That's enough," Dumbledore said casually. "However, Severus does make a good point in taking credit for Emmaline's death. Are there any arguments opposed?"

"Any new business?"

Harry stood up.

"I would like to nominate the Beladasan's for membership."

Tadra beamed gratefully at Harry.

"Any opposed?" Dumbledore asked. "Good. However, I should point out that Azizi is too young. One of the reasons for membership is our means of identification."

"Not a problem. Azizi can be readily identified by family members."

Hermione and Tadra confirmed what Harry said.

"Very well. Please extend our invitation for induction, Sunday morning at eight."

With nothing further to discuss the meeting is adjourned, but no one left. Glasses of dandelion wine levitated to everyone present. Dumbledore raised his glass and the rest did the same.

"To Emmaline, may," Dumbledore paused briefly. "May you always be remembered by your friends, a witch of elegance and class."

Harry listened as those who knew her, told about her life. It was sad and at times very poignant hear them talk of a lost friend. Harry and the rest his age hardly knew her. But he was sure his parents had known her well.

***

***

***

Cho looked pitiful laying there in a hospital bed. She was completely covered in bandages save for the small exposure of reddened skin around closed eyes and mouth. Harry, Hermione, Ron, Tadra, Luna, Neville, and Ginny looked about uncomfortably. The seven of them felt helpless. The desire to do something, anything, was strong. Only encouragement and cheer can be offered to the seriously injured, and they were denied even this because of her unconsciousness. Thoughts of a lost holiday and lost parents touched Harry deeply, because he knew what it felt like. He wondered if she already knew her parents were dead, or if someone would tell her when she regained consciousness. He began to feel the weight of it all closing in on him. He knew what had to be done to bring the cruelty, the torture, the murders, the terror, to a stop. He wondered if he was ready to face Voldemort - if not soon - then when?

Hermione hugged him tightly, as if reading his mind, and he was so very grateful for her touch. He suddenly realized there was hardly a dry eye amongst them.

"We have to do something. We have to stop this sort of thing," Neville said with gritted rage.

"We will," Harry answered. "Let's make sure we're ready."

Neville's rage melted at Harry's words, and he nodded in agreement.

Cards and flowers were already beginning to fill the room. They added theirs with the rest. Luna brought a bouquet of dandelions telling them that dandelions are filled sunshine and that that was what Cho needed - friends and sunshine.

The Mediwizard informed them that Cho would be unconscious for a week because of burns and that it would be at least two months before she could leave. They all hoped she would return to Hogwarts but they also knew she was now of age and she might decide otherwise.

As they left Cho's room, Neville asked if they would wait in the tearoom while he took care of something. They all knew he was going to see his parents in the long-term care ward. And no one commented on Ginny's absence in the tearoom while they waited, nor that she returned with Neville a little latter.

**

**

With a pop Harry and Hermione apparated into the entryway. Harry didn't let go of her right away.

"Feeling alright Herm?"

"Seeing Cho like that has made me feel down."

"I know what you mean," Harry said heavily.

"Maybe a short rest in a comfy chair."

"I'll go put a pot of water on to boil and bring you up a cup of tea."

"Thank you, but a cup of hot chocolate sounds better."

Ron and Tadra showed up in the kitchen as soon as Harry put a kettle in the fire.

"Tea?" Ron asked.

"Hermione wants hot chocolate."

"Mmm, I would like some as well, my brother."

"Yeah, me too. Anything to eat?"

"I'm sure Dobby would be glad to get something for you. He's been having a tough time letting your mum do so much cooking."

"Makes mum feel useful."

"That's what I told him."

"Anyway, a meat and potato pie sounds really good."

A hot pie appeared on the table.

Ron sat down quickly, and dug in.

"Deliciious Dobby, thanks. Thorry, di anyone want some?" he asked with some already in his mouth.

Harry and Tadra said no thanks.

"When will your father and Stronan be back?"

"They will return from Diagon in a few hours, my brother."

"Mum and dad are with Bill and the Delacour's. Something about wedding preparations. Ginny went to track down Hermione," Ron said between mouthfuls.

Ginny screamed. It was a scream of terror. Ron turned over the heavy kitchen table and Harry dropped the kettle of hot water, both in their haste to run upstairs. Tadra beat them both by apparating.

Harry and Ron stopped in their tracks, not sure what to do. Ginny and Hermione were holding to each other tightly. Tadra had a hand on each of them, unsure what to do. Ginny was sobbing hysterically while Hermione kept asking.

"Ginny what's wrong?"

After a few tense moments Ginny began to calm down. Hermione and Tadra coaxed her into sitting in a comfortable chair while Harry and Ron looked on with concern.

"What's wrong sis?"

Ginny looked up at Ron with reddened eyes.

"When - when I came into the room . . . Hermione was in that chair . . . and she looked . . . dead," Ginny choked out the word dead.

"Whaaat?" Hermione said in complete surprise.

"I swear, you looked dead. White waxen skin, blue lips and finger tips. You even felt cold. I - I just lost it."

All eyes were now looking at Hermione who was now looking wide-eyed and unsure.

"I don't know what to say. I was lying back in a chair, feeling kinda down, and then Ginny screamed. I nearly jumped out of my skin."

"It is possible, my sister. You may have such an ability. You are Isis incarnate."

"What, to look dead?"

"Can you do it again?" Ron asked with growing curiosity.

"I - I suppose I can try. I was sitting in this chair."

Hermione sat down and leaned back, sliding a little down the chair.

"What were you thinking about? What were you feeling?" Harry asked.

"I was thinking about how awful it will be for Cho. I was thinking about Sirius, and Emmaline. I thought about the time I nearly died from being attacked. I'm not sure what I was feeling. At one point it felt like there was a cold draft in the room."

Ginny looked tense as Hermione closed her eyes. About ten seconds later. Ginny yelped and left the room as Harry groaned. Immediately Hermione opened her eyes and looked at her hands that looked perfectly normal.

"Aw Merlin, that's the most wicked thing I've ever seen," Ron raved while still wincing.

"It was most convincing, my sister. I have seen the dead."

"Harry?"

"I don't feel so well," he said while sitting down in a nearby chair. "For a couple of seconds you looked just like - just before we performed the Breath of Life."

"Oh Harry, I'm sorry." Hermione hugged Harry from behind, rubbing her head against his, as he sat in the chair. "Why, you're actually shaking." She came around and kissed him on the cheek.

"Is it safe to come in? I just can't take that. It's too much. Promise you won't do that any more. At least not where I can see it."

"I'm so sorry Ginny, I didn't mean to scare you. I just didn't know."

"My sister, may I suggest that you continue and master this at will. It could prove to be useful."

"Well, I'm not staying to watch," Ginny said resolutely.

"I don't think I can either, I'm going back to straighten up the kitchen."

"I'll go with you Harry. Ron are you going to stay and watch?"

"Ah yeah, that was wicked to the extreme."

The kitchen was already straightened and cleaned up. Dobby appeared and asked about Hermione and Ginny. Apparently he had shown up ready to defend whomever was in trouble but couldn't figure out what was wrong so he left quickly. After all, house-elves pride themselves in not being seen. Ron came down several minutes later and joined Harry and Ginny in some hot chocolate.

"Mother of Merlin. I was doing okay until she managed to open her eyes while looking dead." Ron shuddered. "Maybe some food will take my mind off of it."

"I don't think you have a mind while you eat," Ginny teased.

Ron gave her a frown before ignoring her and asking Dobby for another meat and potato pie.

****

****

****

****

It looked as though everyone of the Order was present for the Induction, except for Hagrid and Remus. They were in a large old run down building tucked away amongst other dilapidated buildings. If he hadn't been told it was an abandoned monastery he would not have known. But the large room they were all in was of older hand cut stone as opposed to nearby rooms that had deteriorating plaster walls and ceilings. Harry wondered if a factory had grown up around the old monastery and then went out of business. Regardless, there were more important things happening than the pondering architecture. Now that Hermione and Ron were of age, they had been given full authority and rights as current members. During that particular announcement Tonks whispered in Harry's ear that Snape had objected.

Stronan looked delighted when he was showered with sparks from Fawkes, sitting atop a conjured perch. The rest, Khalfani, Naheem, Penelope Clearwater, and Jason Stout all received Fawkes' blessing as well. But just after Jason Stout shook hands with Mad Eye, exchanging the sign for the first time, Dumbledore looked at Harry and Hermione and touched his index fingers. Hermione understood and touched Harry's hand establishing a link.

'Our newest members may be surprised at this form of communication. However, I want everyone to be ready to depart with haste, back to headquarters. Jason and Penelope will meet me at the Leaky Cauldron where I will divulge the location of our headquarters. Please be positioned next to those that need to side-along. Alastor, Harry and Hermione will remain behind with me.'

'But what about Travis?' Penelope questioned with her thoughts.

'That remains to be seen,' Dumbledore replied.

The link was broken and Dumbledore continued the ceremony without any perception that there had been a pause to communicate amongst members of the Order. People moved and shifted positions.

"Stand before this phoenix and pledge your loyalty. State your name and be judged."

"I Travis Winston Brack pledge my loyalty to the Order of the Phoenix."

Fawkes did not react. Brack turned questioningly to Dumbledore and was hit with a stunning spell from Mad Eye. Multiple pops from disapparating sounded all around the room as Brack hit the floor sending up swirling dust. Dumbledore already had his wand out and pointed it at Brack.

"Obliviate!"

"Why did you want us to stay?" Harry asked.

"Insurance against the unexpected," Dumbledore's eyes twinkled above half-moon glasses. "See you at Headquarters."

****

****

****

****

"What are you thinking Harry?"

"I'm thinking the Order should be on the attack. What are we waiting for?"

"It's like you said. We need to make sure we're ready."

Harry grunted not entirely happy with the words he had told Neville at St. Mungo's the week before.

"Come on Harry, try to enjoy yourself. It'll be a new year in a couple of hours."

"That's right. Listen to Hermione. Make the most of life's little pleasures. You've got friends to bring in the New Year with," Remus chided Harry.

"When is the Order going to make a stand Remus?"

"Look Harry, we want to make certain he can't come back again. Do you understand what I'm saying? By rights he should have died the night he gave you your scar."

"Well, what has the Order done about it? Anything?"

"More than I'm allowed to tell you. I will say we've had a break through of sorts. Maybe this summer we'll be ready to go on the offensive."

Harry mulled over what Remus had just told him as Hermione studied Harry's face closely. Harry gave a sigh and then grinned at Remus.

"Tonks is still coming isn't she?" Harry asked with a hint of insinuation.

"Er, yes. I believe she'll make it. Ah, I see Molly has brought up something fresh from the kitchen. Excuse me Harry, Hermione."

Hermione playfully ribbed Harry.

"That wasn't nice."

"Why not? He just told me to make the most of life's little pleasures."

"True, but isn't it obvious why Remus tries not to return her affection?"

Harry thought to himself for a few moments.

"Has anyone suggested to Tonks about becoming an Animagus?"

"Hmmm," was all Hermione responded.

At midnight they all crossed arms, linked hands, and sang Auld Lang Syne. Just after midnight, Hagrid showed up as the traditional 'first footer' bringing a sickle, a huge loaf of bread, and a lump of coal the size of a bowling ball. He greeted everyone he met with a warm "Happy New Year". Then, Hagrid poured Harry a glass of dandelion wine, said "Happy New Year" and quietly left out the back door. Harry was touched at Hagrid's sentimental gesture of good luck for the New Year.

****

****

****

****

It was Harry's first wedding to attend, let alone as a groomsman. Dumbledore's robe and hat were an absolute black, decorated with stars and crescent moons of shiny gold. The black made his long white beard stand out brilliantly and his gold-rimmed half-moon glasses looked finely polished. Dumbledore stood at a small podium facing the seated members of the Order. The drawing room had magically expanded to handle the extra people and the decorations of flowers and conjured birds was breath taking. Azizi brought Bill and Fleur's rings on a small royal purple pillow of soft velvet. Gabrielle followed sprinkling flower petals of vibrant colors for Fleur to walk on. Bill, in a snow-white robe, stood on conjured lush green grass, on Dumbldore's right, in front of the podium.

A piano magically began to play the bridal procession and everyone stood as Mr. Delacour lead his daughter down the isle. A wreath of flowers crowned Fleur's golden hair, white daises and Gardenias sprinkled with lavender and forget-me-nots. Fleur wore a snow-white robe and moved gracefully as she walked barefoot on the flower petals. They both stopped on Dumbledore's left in front of the podium and the music stopped.

"Who gives this woman in marriage?" Dumbledore asked.

"Her mother and I do," Mr. Delacour responded and took his place beside Mrs. Delacour in the front row.

Harry was the last groomsman, furthest from the podium. Azizi was further and on Harry's right. Next was Ron and then Charlie, the Best Man stood next to Bill. Opposite Harry was Hermione with Gabrielle on her left. Tonks was on Hermione's right, sporting Weasley red hair, and then Ginny next to Fleur.

Dumbledore gave a short and moving speech about the virtues of marriage and the cycle of life. Harry wasn't listening that closely. He had become lost in chocolate brown eyes directly across from him. Only when it was almost over did he regain his senses.

"I now pronounce you man and wife, you may now kiss the bride." Just as they kissed fireworks went off, courtesy of Fred and George.

"We just wanted to make sure you two start off with a bang."

****

****

****

****

"Tomorrow you will return to Hogwarts with your sister, and your brothers and I will return to the desert. There is a matter I wish to discuss with you my son. Tadra has secretly corresponded a great deal about a Draco Malfoy. I am surprised that you have allowed her to pursue the conversion of one so close to Voldemort's inner circle. However, if your sister finds herself in harms way I expect you to protect her. And as I say this I wish you to not misunderstand my words. If need be, I want you to kill him without hesitation."

Harry clenched his jaw and gave a slow grim nod.

"I will - if need be. But how can I force her to stop this loose relationship with Malfoy."

"If you think it is truly necessary, tell her, and she must obey. But take care, a Beladasan does not easily take being told what to do. Now, we will return to the others and say goodbye, my son."