Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

"Good evening Harry, Hermione. Dobby and Winky have informed Minerva and I that the two of you will be leaving us tomorrow morning. I suspect you both feel it will be none too soon?"

"Evening Professor. Yeah, that about sums it up. I'm really looking forward to spending what's left of the summer with the Weasley's."

"And I'm looking forward to going home. Ron is going to bring his broom and Harry's before breakfast tomorrow. We'll fly them back to Hogsmeade and return by Floo."

"Before breakfast?" asked McGonagall dismayed. "Well, it makes sense I suppose. Young and anxious." She smiled.

"Dinner? Here in the Hospital Wing?" inquired Dumbledore.

"Sure," said Harry.

"Why not?" said Hermione.

Dinner went well as the two professors told stories. Dumbledore told of an experience he had with a dragon in his youth, a CommonWelsh Green. He remarked that they were more plentiful back then, all those years ago. Everyone laughed as he ended his tale with the words, "Needless to say I had trouble sitting for a week."

Professor McGonagall told how she had been a Seeker for Gryffindor House. She saw the look on Harry's face, and said, "I was not always the old witch that you see now Mr. Potter. I was quite the agile witch in my youth. And like you I lost a broom, but mine was due to a lighting strike. Luckily for me I was close to the ground when it occurred and only spent a day in the infirmary. I was heart broken about the broom, a Moontrimmer 20," she said with a sigh. "It was a gift from my father and mother. We were not a wealthy family and could not afford to replace it. I would've had to use one of the school brooms in order to keep playing. However, a Cleansweep One mysteriously appeared as a gift." She had a smile and a far away look as she said the name of the broom. "It also had a note that came with the broom that one day I should return the favor to a promising Quidditch player. I always suspected my Charms instructor, Professor Sterling, but he would always deny it with a smile." Suddenly Harry had a flash of understanding and gave a slow nod as Professor McGonagall looked at him knowingly.

After desert and as the table was being cleared Dumbledore went out of his way to compliment Dobby and Winky for the fine meal, and everyone agreed. The two house-elves looked tremendously flattered giving big toothy smiles under large round eyes. When Dumbledore mentioned giving them bonuses their smiles turned into looks of shock and panic, and they scurried off. Dumbledore shrugged and gave Hermione a wink over his half moon glasses. Hermione smiled appreciatively glancing down at the table.

"A fine meal. I believe Hogwarts has some of the finest house-elves of any school. Now that the meal is over I was wondering, Miss Granger." He paused and said, "No, I would like to be less formal. If that's all right with you two? It is not actually the school year after all." Harry and Hermione nodded. "Excellent, now as I was about to ask. Hermione would you be willing to demonstrate your Fulguritus spell?" asked Dumbledore. Then quickly adding with a grin, "In the corridor if you don't mind."

Outside the Hospital Wing door in the empty corridor McGonagall waved her hand to the corridor in front of them. "Go ahead Hermione. I'm very impressed to hear that you can perform this spell at all. It is a spell I would normally expect a seventh year to perform."

Hermione lifted her wand, pointing down the hallway, and gave a vertical circular motion as she cast her spell, "Aspello Agito", drawing back on her wand and then thrusting forward, "Fulguritus!" As before the hallway erupted into crackling and arcing electricity in front of them.

"Bravo Hermione," said Dumbledore as he clapped lightly.

"Well done. Very impressive for a fifth year," said McGonagall clapping.

"You're always full of surprises," said Harry clapping loudly. Even though he had seen her perform this spell earlier, he hadn't really appreciated it distracted by Hermione's strange looking eyes.

"Would you like a few pointers on technique?" asked McGonagall.

"By all means, please," Hermione said eagerly.

"You definitely have the basics. The circular motion is meant to control the size, in area, of the discharge. Clockwise motion is to reduce and counter-clockwise is to enlarge. For example." McGonagall gave a fluid motion of her wand, "Aspello Agito Fulguritus!" A ball of discharging electricity appeared about the size of a basketball crackling and popping. Lifting her wand it disappeared.

"Harry, would you like to give it a try?" asked Dumbledore.

"Er, okay."

"Have you ever been surprised or shocked by an experience, felt the surge go through you? Good, that's the original focus of feeling to start with. The focus for the thrust motion at the end of the spell is to picture in your mind a bolt of lightning. Thus…" Dumbledore had the same fluid motion, "Aspello Agito Fulguritus!" This time the ball of discharging electricity was the size of a walnut. "I might also point out that the intensity of discharging electricity is proportional to the concentration you give it." The little ball of electricity suddenly became brilliant, illuminating the hallway in multiple flashes of blue arching light. The sound of electrical discharge became almost deafening as everyone squinted from the intensity of the light. Just as suddenly it was gone.

Harry and Hermione erupted into applause as McGonagall gave a look of admiration and mumbled something about "showoff".

"Go ahead Harry." Dumbledore motioned to the corridor in front of them.

"Whoa, tough act to follow," Harry said with wide eyes as Dumbledore chuckled encouraging him to try by motioning to the corridor again.

Harry stepped up and tried to think of an experience in his life that had been a surprise. His first thought was Hagrid's words, "Harry - yer a wizard." No, no. That wouldn't do. That was more surprise than shock. Then he thought of the look on Mr. Weasley's face as he said, "Harry, Hermione's been attacked." Without a doubt that was a big shock. Then he thought about a bolt of lightning that hit the ground not far from the Dursley's car as they were all going down the road in a thunderstorm. It must have been only a few hundred feet from the car when it struck. He never had a chance to shut his eyes, it happened so fast. The picture of the lightning strike was firmly in his mind. He cast the spell as he had seen everyone else do before him, "Aspello Agito Fulguritus!" The hallway erupted into arching and crackling electricity much the same as Hermione's spell had done. Everyone turned and looked at him. Hermione stood there with her mouth open. There was no applause, just silence.

"Er, sorry. That's the best could do."

"Is that your first time attempting that spell?" asked McGonagall.

Harry was starting to feel uncomfortable. "Uh, yeah. Was it that bad?" He wanted to say it didn't look much different than Hermione's.

"Harry I can't believe it. I practiced that spell for months last year. I had been sneaking down to the lower levels to practice. The first time I tried it all I got was a tiny little spark."

Harry brightened immediately and said with a big grin, "I had some very good teachers. What can I say?"

For the next thirty minutes the professors encouraged Harry and Hermione to practice the Fulguritus spell. When it looked like the two were beginning to tire Dumbledore asked Hermione about how she was able to see an invisible Peeves.

"Professor McGonagall and I have been most intrigued and have talked this afternoon about how we might understand your new ability. First, tell me again about Peeves. You could see him, and Harry could not. Exactly what did you see?"

"Well I saw Peeves face and his hands sticking up out of the floor. He looked semi-transparent as he usually does, but Harry couldn't see him. It was only after he popped up out of the floor that Harry could see him." Harry was nodding in agreement.

"Did Peeves look any different to you, after he popped up out of the floor?" asked McGonagall.

"I would have to say he looked a bit more dense, less transparent. Does that make any sense?"

"Yes, I believe it does. But I would be most interested in seeing a demonstration. If you don't mind a walk up to the Gryffindor common room." When they arrived Nearly Headless Nick was waiting for them, floating in mid air in the middle of the common room. "Ah, thank you Sir Nicholas for waiting."

"My time is yours, Headmaster. How can I be of service?"

Dumbledore turned to Hermione and motioned her forward. "We've brought Hermione here to take a look at you, visible and invisible. But please wait until I ask you to make yourself invisible." McGonagall and Harry moved along side Hermione to get a look at her eyes. "See here Minerva; notice how the white of her eyes, as well as the iris have a slight grayish look, almost metallic."

"Yes, it's not very noticeable. Harry, is this how her eyes looked before?"

"It was a lot more noticeable when I saw them."

Dumbledore leaned closer, looking. "Do you feel any different when you are looking at Sir Nicholas as opposed to before you saw him?"

"Except for everyone looking at me like I'm being examined, I don't feel any different."

Dumbledore smiled. "You are among friends Hermione. Everything is fine. Sir Nicholas, if you don't mind, could you become invisible and move to another place within the room."

Nicholas disappeared and Hermione's eyes became greyer. Her eyes and head moved in accordance to seemingly nothing in the room. Her gaze rested near the common room fireplace.

"I take it from your gaze that you can see Sir Nicholas by the fire place." Hermione nodded. "Harry, is this how her eyes looked before?"

"Yes, that's exactly how they looked. I was concerned the first time I saw them that way."

"Do you feel any different now that Sir Nicholas is invisible?" asked McGonagall.

"No, but I'm starting to feel self-conscious. Is this a bad thing?" she asked looking from McGonagall to Dumbledore, glancing at Harry briefly.

"Not at all dear. We may yet determine this to be of tremendous benefit to you. Have patience. Now, would you be so kind as to point out where Sir Nicholas is." Hermione pointed to thin air by the fire place. "Sir Nicholas, if you would be so kind as to reappear." Hermione lowered her arm as her eyes became less grey.

"How were you able to see me child?" asked a transparent, but visible, Sir Nicholas. "I noticed nothing different about your eyes."

"I don't really know."

Dumbledore looked at Sir Nicholas. "You noticed no difference? Excellent. That's good to know. I hadn't thought to ask. Sir Nicholas de Mimsy Porpington, I would ask that you keep this knowledge of Miss Hermione Granger's ability a secret. Do I have your word?"

Sir Nicholas straightened, his head wobbled but didn't fall off. "You have my word Headmaster."

"Thank you for your help. Now, if you two are not too tired we'll take one last walk, this evening, up to my office. Good."

They walked up to a table in Dumbledore's office. The dagger, still encased in a protective spell, was laid out on the table. Hermione hesitated and stayed a step back from the table.

"Albus, see that she looks the same as when Sir Nicholas was visible."

"Yes, most interesting. Hermione would you like to pick up the dagger and take a closer look? It is quite harmless while encased in this spell."

"I would rather not."

"How does it make you feel, to look at the dagger?" asked McGonagall.

"It gives me a chill up and down my spine. I don't' like looking at it. It feels dangerous."

Dumbledore rubbed his bearded chin. "I wonder if there is a subconscious aversion to the dagger. Oh, Harry, could you go and bring the box that's on my desk please."

Harry went over to Dumbledore's desk and reached out for the box. Hermione stiffened and practically lunged toward him screaming, "Harry! Don't touch that box!"

Harry jumped back away from the box as Hermione grabbed hold of him dragging him several steps further away. Hermione's eyes looked almost metallic. They were greyer than when Sir Nicholas was invisible. Dumbledore and McGonagall came walking up looking very impressed. McGonagall had her wand out and was putting it away.

"Impressive," said Dumbledore putting his hands together. "Let me explain. This box is called a wizard trap and is sealed, you would not have been able to open it if you wanted to Harry. But as a precaution Minerva was prepared to magic it away from you. The contents are very dark magic conjured by a bitter witch. She had been spurned by a wizard and was so disillusioned of all wizards she created this trap to kill any wizard that would open it. A wizard who mistakenly opens this box would be instantaneously consumed by the magic within. I had removed this particular item from the school's vault of Dark Artifacts as a test."

"Here is what I have concluded, so far, as to your condition Hermione. Correct me if you think of something I've overlooked Minerva. It would seem that you are sensitive to anything dangerous, as you have just demonstrated. You also have sensitivity toward ghosts, visible or invisible. The common connection is death, a sensitivity of death. Hermione I believe anything, or anyone wishing to do you harm will find it very difficult to get near you. You will intuitively know it. A strange ability. I know of no instance of any wizard or witch being able to do this. Have you Minerva? I would urge you to keep this ability quiet. It could prove useful some day. I would also view it as a gift."

Harry and Hermione left to retire, for one more night, back to the Hospital Wing. McGonagall was still in Dumbledore's office after the two left. "They look tired Albus, I think we've done our job for the night."

"Wow, what an evening Hermione. You have a new sight. I nearly jumped out of my skin when you screamed at me to not touch that wizard trap"

"Yeah, what about you and your first attempt at a Fulguritus spell?"

Harry was tired when he got into his bed, but sleep evaded him. He could hear Hermione tossing and turning in her bed as time went by.

"Hermione?" he whispered. "Are you awake?"

"You don't' have to whisper Harry. I'm still awake. I'm tired but I still can't sleep. It's very irritating. I think it's because I'm anxious to go home."

"I know what you mean. I feel the same way. I can't sleep either." Harry lay there for a few minutes. "Want to go up to the Astronomy Tower and look at the stars?"

"I'd love to."

They were still in their pajamas but it didn't matter with an empty school. They didn't really expect to bump into professors McGonagall or Dumbledore. And even if they did all they would do is shoo them back to the Hospital Wing and to bed. With a pillow and blanket in hand, both made their way to the Astronomy Tower. On top of the tower they laid down their blankets and pillows, side by side, on the cool stone floor. It was a beautiful clear night. The day had been hot but the night was very pleasant, and there was a slight breeze. The moon was three quarters full and looked to be descending into the west from straight overhead. There had been some friendly banter between them about how full the moon was tonight. Hermione thought it was three quarters while Harry disagreed. After ten minutes of argument from Hermione she finally asked him what he thought.

"I think it's a good seventy seven percent full."

"What? You let me argue for ten minutes over a two percent difference of opinion?"

Harry grinned, "Like old times eh?"

Hermione playfully hit him and they both laughed.

Still on the same tack, Harry pointed out a few Constellations and stars, naming them off. A few of them he purposely named wrong.

"Why Harry Potter. How could you possibly not know your constellations? Five constellations are seen best in August, Corona Austrina, Lyra, Sagittarius, Scutum and Telescopium. And it's a simple matter to remember the constellations of the zodiac by remembering the phrase 'A Tense Gray Cat Lay Very Low, Sneaking Slowly, Contemplating A Pounce'. The first letter of the phrase corresponding to Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Capricorn, Aquarius, and Pices." She talked on and on, divulging her knowledge of the night sky as Harry listened, smiling. Eventually she turned and looked at him almost indignant. "You haven't been listening to a word I've said, have you?"

Harry turned on his side putting his elbow across his pillow and resting his head against his hand. "I have too been listening," he said trying to sound offended.

Hermione turned on her side as well, facing Harry. "Really," she said sarcastically. "What was the last planet I mentioned that could be seen at the end of this month."

'Uh, oh', Harry thought. When short of a good comeback, tell the truth. "I apologize. I wasn't listening to what you said. I was listening to the sound of your voice. I was thinking how wonderful it sounded when only a short time ago I thought I might never hear your voice again."

There was a little tug on Hermione's heart as she realized he had purposely named some constellations wrong and was telling her the truth. She was almost at a loss for words but managed, "Thank you. That was a nice thing to say." The breeze picked up and was blowing a bit more as Hermione shivered.

Harry noticed. "Care to share my pillow?"

Hermione scooted over next to Harry putting her head on his pillow, her neck across his arm, and they snuggled. The warmth and touch from one another felt electric but both chose to suppress it. They looked at the stars in silence.

Harry opened his eyes. He thought they had only been closed for a second but the change in the moon's position told him it had been for at least an hour. He could feel Hermione's warmth next to him and he had the same calming reassurance wash over him. The same feeling he had waking up next to her and still finding her alive. She looked like she was asleep and he didn't want to wake her, just yet. He turned slowly on his side pulling his arm part way back from under her neck. He wanted to look at her sleeping, peacefully, in the moonlight. The moon cast a silvery blue light on her features as he watched the breeze blow her curly hair, the gentle rise and fall of her breathing. He thought back to their kiss under Godric's tree, and how he wasn't sure how he felt toward his friend. He looked at her closed eyes and the soft curves of her face. At this moment he couldn't deny it. She was beautiful. He leaned down slowly to give her a kiss on the cheek, close to the corner of her mouth. An innocent kiss, then he would wake her and they would go back to the Hospital Wing.

Hermione had been awake from the moment Harry had turned slowly on his side. She could almost feel him looking at her and wondered why he didn't try to wake her. She started thinking about that fantastic kiss under Godric's tree and her impulsive request to kiss the guy that had saved her life. She could sense that he was leaning down toward her. Her heart skipped a beat, was he going to kiss her on the lips, or on the cheek. She realized quickly that he was going to kiss her on the cheek. She thought back to the time she had meant to kiss him on the cheek thinking that he was asleep.

Just as Harry's lips were about to touch her cheek she turned and two arms wrapped around his neck. Harry's short little intake breath of surprise was met by a couple of silent chuckles, puffs of air from Hermione's nose against his cheek. The surprise and humor of the moment melted as lips met and eyes closed. The innocent kiss under Godric's tree was fading away to something longer and deeper. Harry lifted his head slightly opening his eyes, Hermione's arms still around his neck. He could feel the heat of her body beneath his and in her arms around his neck. The moonlight seemed to be brighter, almost golden in color; he thought he could see the color of her brown eyes as he looked deep into them, only inches from her face.

"I-I was g-going to wake you up," he whispered as he leaned closer brushing is nose against the side of hers in a light caress.

"I-I kn-know," she replied in a whisper starting to match his movements, her eyes partially closed, lips skimming ever closer.

"We sh-should probably get back," he whispered in reply just as lips touched ever so slightly and they were both lost to an even deeper kiss that seemed to sing in their hearts.

A sudden gust of wind picked up Hermione's abandoned blanket and tossed it over them. They pulled apart and looked at each other in surprise and wonderment. Finally they spoke almost simultaneously. Harry saying, "We better get back." And Hermione saying, "We better go." They both laughed picking up blankets and pillows. They walked hand in hand back to the Hospital Wing. It was late and this time they both fell asleep quickly.

A long white beard and half moon shaped glasses chuckled in front of a glowing oval shaped Viewer. "Thank you for waking me Fawkes, a little gust of wind can indeed cool the fire of young passion. Hmmmm," he said looking from the image of a sleeping Harry and Hermione in the Viewer and then to Fawkes.

"Oi! Harry! Hermione! I thought you'd meet me on top of the tower!" Came Ron's voice echoing through the corridor. He jumped through the open Hospital Wing door holding a broom in each hand. "C'mon, you're not still asleep are ya? Blimey!" Ron stopped in his tracks. He had been so excited that his two best friends were well enough to leave the Hogwarts infirmary that it didn't register in his head what he saw when he first came in. His mind was doing an instant replay. Harry and Hermione, still asleep, still in their pajamas, had been holding hands. Upon hearing Ron's bellowing voice they had both sat up startled, glanced at each other quickly with little half smiles before pulling their hands apart.

"Oh wow, sorry mate. Overslept," exclaimed Harry. "I am so looking forward to getting out of here."

"Sorry Ron, give us a sec." Curtains were pulled and clothes were changed quickly.

Curtains were drawn back to find Ron standing with arms crossed and a broom in the cup of each elbow. He eyed them suspiciously as though something was on his mind, but said, "It's about bloody time. I can't believe you two slept in. Let's go, mum will have breakfast ready by the time we get to the Burrow." Ron tossed Harry his Firebolt, turned and took off running. He had only gone part way down the first corridor when he stopped and turned around. "Oh, sorry, I forgot."

Harry and Hermione weren't running as they really wanted to, but they were going at a brisk pace for walking. "That's okay, we're doing better," said Harry.

"Lots better, actually," corrected Hermione.

"Yeah, ya are." Ron grinned. "See ya on top of the tower then," and took off running again.

Harry stopped, a mischievous look in his eye, and mounted his broom. "Come on Hermione, get on."

"Have you lost your mind Harry? Inside the school? And riding double too?"

"The school's empty Hermione. I see no reason to let Ron beat us to the top of the tower. Come on," he pleaded.

"Don't make me regret this Harry Potter," said Hermione mounting the broom behind him and wrapping her arms tightly around his waist.

"What? You've told me I'm the best flyer in the school-on more than one occasion." Away they went sailing down the empty corridors and banking the turns.

"Oh my God, I can't look!" as Hermione squealed holding onto Harry that much tighter. She thought her stomach had been left behind on the first corner.

Ron was coming up to the last flight of stairs to the tower when he heard Hermione's squeal behind him, growing louder. They went by him with a whoosh.

"Hey!" he yelled. "No fair!" Quickly mounting his broom he muttered, "Why didn't I think of that?"

Hermione didn't feel as anxious of running into a stone wall after they shot out into the open sky. The air was still cool and the ride was exhilarating as Harry climbed higher and higher. Ron's broom gently glided down from off the tower settling to an altitude no higher than thirty five feet, just enough to clear a three story house. Hermione looked below and yelled above the rushing wind, "I didn't think Ron's broom could do that well."

Harry yelled back, "It didn't. He told me one of his dad's friends put a booster spell on it." Harry chuckled, "At least now, the butterflies won't pass him up."

Overall they slowly made their way to Hogsmeade. Ron was going as fast as his old broom could go. Harry was taking great delight literally flying circles around him and making Hermione squeal. He liked having her hold him tight. He liked being on his broom again, it made him feel alive. Ever so often Harry would pull up along side Ron and they would all talk and laugh briefly before Harry would take off doing more aerobatics with Hermione trying not to squeal.

They reached the Three Broomsticks in high spirits. It was a marked contrast to Harry and Ron's frantic dash to save Hermione's life almost two weeks earlier. Hermione was short of breath from Harry's wild ride but was recovering quickly. Harry gave her a sly look.

"It wasn't that bad was it?"

"I guess not, but it's a lot different when someone else is flying and you're not."

"You two look a little pale," Ron noted. "Here, let me get the door." Ron gave a smirk before assuming a formal demeanor. He opened the door with a somber face and with flourish, swept his arm and bid them enter. "Madame witch, Monsieur wizard, if you please," he said with an uppity tone.

Hermione giggled patting him on the cheek as she walked in. "I may be pale but you're silly."

Harry walked by giving Ron a knowing smirk and jumped out of Ron's kicking distance just in time, laughing at him.

"Should have known I couldn't catch ya on that one Harry. But in all honesty you two do look a little pale."

"Nothing your mum's cooking can't fix. I'm starved."

Turning to Hermione Ron asked, "Will you have breakfast with us Hermione? Mum's got plenty."

"I'd love to Ron but mum and dad said they would have breakfast waiting for me. And I'm really anxious to get home. Maybe another time? Well, I guess this is goodbye for a little while, till the Hogwarts Express." She lifted an eyebrow. "Maybe sooner, we'll see." All of them were standing in front of the fireplace as Hermione picked up Harry's hands and pulled back looking deep into his green eyes thinking about the secret they shared from the previous night and wondered how he felt. "Thanks for saving my life Harry." She stepped toward him dropping his hands leaned up and kissed him on the cheek, all the while wanting to do more, and then hugged him. She pulled away and stepped up to Ron. "Seems you helped save my life too." It looked like Ron was about to take a step backwards, but with what looked like mixed emotions held his ground. She pulled him so that he leaned forward then stood on her tiptoes and kissed him on the cheek. When she gave Ron a hug he slipped a note into her hand making sure that Harry didn't see.

Still blushing Ron turned to Harry and said, "Say, ah, Harry I meant to mention. I don't think I did any damage to your broom but I thought you should take a look." While saying this Ron had walked around the other side of Harry giving Hermione a chance to read the note unobserved.

"What! Where! Oh, man I didn't notice anything."

Ron pointed at a spot on the handle. While Harry's attention was focused on the broom he looked past Harry and saw Hermione give him a nod and a big grin.

"That? That's just a smudge. You silly goose. You had me worried."

"Hi, Madam Rosmerta," Hermione waved. Harry and Ron hadn't seen the owner of the place behind the counter cleaning glasses getting ready for the start of another day. The boys waved and said hello as Hermione reached up on the mantle took a dash of Floo powder out of an ancient looking copper bowl.

"I'm off. Let's be sure to meet up after we get our letters. We can all get our books and supplies at Diagon Alley. And I'm sure I'll see you both before then." She gave Harry an 'I know something you don't know' look as she threw down the Floo powder and stepped into the fireplace, "Grangers" as she disappeared in a burst of green flame.

Harry moved up to the fireplace quickly. "I'm starved. I'm really looking forward to breakfast." Harry stepped up to the fireplace, Floo powder in hand, and turned around. He noticed that Madam Rosmerta had an odd look on her face and still had her hand up like she was stuck midway in a greeting. With broom tucked under his left arm he gave another wave with Floo powder still clutched in his hand. He tossed down the Floo powder, stepped in, and called out, "The Burrow".

Almost five minutes later Ron showed up at the breakfast table pink faced and flustered. Mrs. Weasley had been fussing something awful over Harry exclaiming how pale he looked and had shoveled a small mountain of sausage onto Harry's plate asking him if he wanted more eggs. Ginny seemed to be fussing over him as well and kept asking Harry how he felt. Ginny also stated forcefully that Ron and the twins shouldn't wear him out. The twins were highly amused at how Ginny and their mother were fussing over Harry. Mr. Weasley was asking Harry about why muggles put various objects on the dashboards of their cars. Specifically something that looked like a dancing girl in a grass skirt. Percy was absent; Harry assumed he went to work early only to learn that Percy had moved out and was living in a flat with another wizard who was also working at the Ministry.

"Hey Ron, what kept you? You were right behind me," Harry asked between mouthfuls.

"Rosemerta, wanted to know what was going on. She had read that Hermione was dead and that Harry was missing. I told her that mum had breakfast ready but she offered to make breakfast for me so I would tell her about everything that had happened. I declined of course but - I didn't think she even knew my name."

"Rosemerta? How is Rose by the way?" asked Mr. Weasley suddenly catching a look from Mrs. Weasley. "Ah, well, I believe I'm going to be late for work. Don't over do it Harry. Talk to you all later." Mr. Weasley disapparated with a pop.

Ron had just noticed the pile of food on Harry's plate and was looking amused. Harry looked around making sure that Mrs. Weasley didn't notice and pushed half the mound onto Ron's plate. Ginny tried to look indignant but it was obvious that no one in the house, let alone Harry, could eat all the food that was on his plate.

August was hot with only the nights offering relief but it wasn't going to deter Harry from enjoying every minute of the free days before school. When he got tired or too hot there was always the shade outside and lots of ice cold lemonade. On one of these lemonade breaks it was just Harry and Ron. Ron acted like there was something on his mind and finally asked Harry a question.

"Harry, I've been meaning to ask you something."

"What about?"

In a rush Ron laid it out. "It's about you and Hermione. When I came into the hospital wing I saw you two asleep and you were holding hands. What's that all about?"

"Oh, that. That's no big deal really. You know we almost lost her, you were there, you remember. Anyway, I kept waking up at night thinking we didn't get there in time. It was just reassuring is all, knowing she was there, still alive." Harry took another long drink of lemonade.

"Yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, that's good. As long as that's all it is. I'd hate to think you'd be kissing our friend next."

Harry choked and spewed out lemonade. Ron gave him a surprised look. Harry quickly recovered, explaining in a hoarse voice. "Bug," he croaked. "Bug must have landed in my lemonade." Ron pointed and laughed. "Not funny," said Harry still sounding hoarse.

Besides the lemonade breaks Harry was taking several short naps a day. A few more than he really wanted but coaxed by Mrs. Weasley and Ginny he took them anyway. He was hoping a bit of tan would make him look less pale. Seemed like it took so little to make him feel weak and when he really over did it his head would start thumping again. Harry really wanted to get over this feeling weak. He had Quidditch practice to deal with in about four weeks. At least Ron and the twins didn't make a big deal out of him not being up to par. It was an unspoken code among the Weasley brothers to suggest a breather or a break when one of them thought Harry was reaching his limit flying around on brooms. Harry didn't put up too much argument if he really was feeling fatigued.

The next morning Harry had slept in. The boys hadn't woke him but had breakfast and went on outside without him. They figured he needed a little extra rest and that he may have over extended himself the day before.

"Ginny dear, could you go up and wake Harry. His breakfast is going to get cold."

"Sure." Ginny was more than happy to. She liked Harry. She found Harry still asleep in Ron's room. She didn't really want to wake him right away. She didn't often get the chance to look him over without being caught and feeling rude. "Harry," she whispered. He stirred but still asleep put out his hand toward her and wiggled his fingers. 'How cute' she thought and put her hand in his. Harry smiled and Ginny struggled to keep from giggling. Then his expression changed to a frown and he woke up.

"Ginny," he said thickly trying to focus his eyes. "What's up?"

"Breakfast is ready. You're the last one to get up."

Harry looked down at his hand, Ginny was holding it. He looked up at her in surprise.

"Oh, you put your hand out like you wanted me to help you get up. Sorry," she said taking her hand away reluctantly. "Come on Harry. Mum said your breakfast will be getting cold. By the way, how do you feel this morning?"

"I dunno yet, I think I'm still half asleep. I'll be right down. Thanks."

Later in the day just before Harry was ready to take another one of his naps he wrote a short letter to Hermione, occasionally stroking Hedwig as he pondered how to put into words how he felt without saying too much.

Hermione,

It was strange to wake up this morning and find you weren't there. It's difficult for me to describe how I seem to miss you already and it's only been a day.

Enough of that I guess. How have you been feeling? Mrs. Weasley acts as though I must have been starved in the infirmary. She keeps putting three or four helpings on my plate, but I manage to spread it around to Fred, George and Ron. Ginny keeps asking me how I'm feeling, almost annoying, but she means well. And look at me, asking how you're feeling.

The Weasley brothers have been putting me through my paces. I'm anxious to get my strength back. I've got Quidditch practice to think about soon. I'm wondering who we'll pick as the new captain. I think Katie is probably most qualified and I wouldn't want to pick one of the twins over the other. I suppose we could have co-captains, though I'm not sure how that would work out. We need to work on getting substitutes and filling vacancies. I expect Ron to try out for Keeper, I really want him to get the position. He does really well for the old broom he has at home.

I'm looking forward to going to Diagon Alley for our supplies. It will be good, all of us getting together again. It should prove to be an interesting school year with our special lessons. I wonder how that will be arranged. Hope to hear from you soon.

Your dearest friend,

Love,

Harry

Harry decided to add the 'love' in his closing. After what they had recently been through he felt closer to her. Closer than what he was willing to tell her. Besides he had put 'dearest friend' and that would make it not seem too mushy.

That night Hedwig returned carrying a letter from Hermione. He usually went straight to Ron and shared what she wrote, but decided to read it in private for a change.

Harry,

I was thrilled to get your letter. I know how you feel. I missed you not being there in the mornings as well. It's strange how I wanted to be out of the hospital wing so bad and now there are parts of that experience I almost miss. I'm sure Ron will try out or we'll both make him live to regret it. As far as captain of the team goes, I think you're right but what about yourself? I think you would make a fine captain. Look at all the experience you've got.

I've been thinking about our special lessons too. I'm really looking forward to it. Like you I'm wondering how they will be arranged. In the dungeon maybe? I believe it will be easier for us to take the lessons with me being a Prefect and my, er, personal project.

We should be getting our letters any day. Be sure and let me know what arrangements we can make to get together. You never know we might see each other before then since we have our new fireplace.

Your friend forever,

Love,

Hermione O

'Yeah the dungeon is probably the place for their special lessons. Hermione is usually keen on figuring things out. Me captain? Ha. I'm not qualified, I still think Katie is more deserving.' Harry looked at the 'O' Hermione put down wondering what that meant. Then it occurred to him, 'a hug'. The memory of a kiss under Godric's tree and a different kind of kiss on top of the Astronomy tower came flooding into his mind making him feel warm, excited and uncomfortable at the same time. When they were in the Hospital Wing it was as though they were in their own world. Now everything seemed different, there were other things to think about.

Soon it was Saturday morning and the Weasley house seemed to be buzzing with a type of excitement. Harry wished they wouldn't let him sleep in. He woke up with his hand extended reaching into thin air. He wondered how long he would keep doing that. He also wondered when he would be seeing Hermione next. When he reached the bottom of the steps he was met with smiling faces and it was a scene that almost made him laugh. He was really happy here, this is what it was like to have family, and he would be eternally grateful to all of them for sharing it with him.

"C'mon Harry, wipe that silly grin off your face and eat some breakfast," said George.

"Yeah Harry, we've got special plans today," winked Fred.

Harry sat down digging into Mrs. Weasley's wonderful breakfast. Giving it some thought he looked at Ron trying to get down a mouthful, "It wouldn't involve Quidditch would it?" They had only played Quidditch everyday since he got back and it had been a lot of fun.

Ron grinned from ear to ear and held up a fluttering golden Snitch gripped tightly in his fingers. It was worn and looked like it needed mending on one of its wings, but it was still a golden Snitch. Harry nearly choked on his orange juice as the Weasley clan laughed.

"Whoa, where did that come from, Ron?"

"Dad got it on loan from Mr. Gordon at work. We've got a Quaffle to go with it. It's in better shape than the one we've got. We would have got a Bludger too, but mum was dead set against it."

"That's right. It's dangerous enough Harry flying around on a broom in his weakened condition. And try not to eat so fast dear. I suppose we'll have to start waking you up with the rest of us if you're going to wolf down your food like that."

Harry along with three other young Weasleys rolled their eyes at Mrs. Weasley's reference to 'Harry's weakened condition'. Ginny did not. However a thought occurred to Harry. "Where will we play Quidditch with a Snitch? We'll have to fly much too high for that around here."

"We'll take a two mile hike over to Fenton's Glen. We can fly a lot higher over there. Provided you're up to it," said Ginny quickly.

Harry looked at Ginny and noticed she was holding her mother's broom. Ginny noticed him looking at the broom and raised her eyebrows at Harry and gave Ron a smug look. Ron looked like he wanted to stick his tongue out at her but didn't want to give her the satisfaction. On their way out the door Mrs. Weasley reminded them, "Now be back in time for lunch and I expect your father to be back this afternoon. Working on a Saturday morning, indeed. I just don't know what the Ministry is coming to."

They had barely got out of sight of the house when Fred and George veered off the path and came back with a box. Harry just shook his head but grinned approvingly.

Well ya can't expect us to play a decent game of Quidditch without a Bludger now would ya?" asked George.

Fred added, "It is only one though. And we're not supposed to let mum know we have it," winking mischievously.

There were five brooms in the air and everyone had a blast. The Snitch and Bludger were half the speed and strength of the schools so they were creative in making it more difficult. Harry had to draw the line at Fred's tongue in cheek suggestion he be blindfolded and try to catch the Snitch. The morning went all too quickly and they made their way back to the house with Ginny inquiring every half mile how Harry felt.

A filling lunch and an exhausting morning and Harry was more than willing to take an afternoon nap. He just couldn't shake the feeling that they were all up to something. He figured he'd find out eventually.

"Harry! Wake up ya sleepy head. Ya can't sleep the rest o' the day away," said Ron shaking him gently. "C'mon outside. Ya gotta see this new maneuver that Fred and George have come up with. Ron ran outside ahead of him. Harry was rubbing sleep from his eyes walking to the door. He didn't really notice that the house was empty.

"SURPRISE!! Happy Birthday Harry!" was the chorus that greeted a shocked Harry as he stepped through the door. Harry's mouth was open and his eyes were wide. The Granger's and the Weasley's minus Bill, Charlie and Percy, were all gathered outside. There were a couple of tables, benches and chairs in the yard with decorations and a sparkling conjured sign floating in mid air that read 'Happy Birthday Harry'. They were all standing behind a large birthday cake with fifteen lit candles on it. The cake was golden and trimmed in red frosting.

"Molly m' love, I do believe we've managed to surprise him."

"B-but it's already past my birthday," Harry stuttered still in shock.

"We know that dear. Think of it as a belated birthday. Come along and blow out the candles," encouraged Mrs. Weasley.

Harry looked like he couldn't be happier or more surprised. As he was walking up to the cake Hermione couldn't keep it to herself any longer. "I can't wait to see the look on his face when he blows out the candles. I nicked a couple of exploding birthday candles from Weasley's Wizard Wheezes. That should give Harry a good excuse to go back inside the house and find Sirius waiting for him."

Ron turned to her sharply, "You did? But so did I," he said pointing at himself. Suddenly there were more than just Ron and Hermione's stunned faces. It became abundantly clear as everyone but David and Katherine were looking at each other in ever mounting panic. Fred indicated that he and George had put on two as Molly and then Arthur nodded as well. Ginny's wide eyes were telling even though she didn't say anything. Hermione quickly added up in her head that there must be twelve out of fifteen candles that were exploding. The whole group took an unconscious step backwards as they yelled out, "Harry wait! Don't blow out -," But it was too late. There was a wet sounding 'Boom', like a firework going off in a mound of mud. Harry was covered in frosting and cake. Gold and red frosting dripped from his face and glasses. He couldn't have looked through his glasses even if he wanted to. There was complete silence as Harry reached up and took off his glasses. His deep green eyes shown through unscathed, a perfect outline of his round glasses on his frosting covered face.

"Well….that was different," as he put out his tongue licking some frosting. "Mmmm, pumpkin with cinnamon frosting-delicious."

Ron was trying not to laugh as he said, "Aw, Harry. I'm sorry mate." But he failed.

There were more apologies ringing out accompanied by stifled laughter and giggles.

Fred and George were the exception. They were congratulating themselves, bragging on how the cake had exploded in the direction of the person who blew them out. They nudged each other with devilish looks.

Hermione and Ginny had run around to each side of Harry apologizing between chortles. Each kissed an opposite cheek giving themselves frosting lips and noses in the process. They gingerly lead him back to the house so that he could get cleaned up. As Molly hollered out, "Take your time Harry. I've got a spare cake in reserve. It's not quite as pretty but it should taste just as good. And you've got presents to open."

Once the girls had maneuvered him to the bathroom they proceeded back outside. Harry emerged from the bathroom all cleaned up with fresh clothes.

"I was going to ask for a piece of cake but I see you decided to wear it instead."

"Sirius! How? When?"

Sirius chuckled, "Calm down, it was all prearranged. I knew they were going to make up an excuse for you to come back into the house but I think they over did it."

Harry ran and embraced his Godfather. "This has really turned out to be the best 'late' birthday I've ever had. I'm so glad to see you Sirius. Are you sure it's safe?"

"At the moment it's actually safer here than at Hogwarts. Fewer of the Ministry's eyes are watching. You're looking better, less pale. Tell me Harry. How have you been? I haven't had much of a chance to talk to you since Cedric was killed. Talk to me."

Harry opened up to Sirius in a way he couldn't to Hermione and Ron. His hopes, and concerns came pouring out. Sirius did his best to reassure him and answer questions as best as any parent could. Sirius was feeling the weight of it, the responsibility, and knew that he was falling short in his obligation, his promise, to his best friend James some fourteen years gone now. They had been sitting on the edge of the bed talking for some thirty minutes. Finally, Sirius stood and started pacing slowly.

"Harry, there's one other thing I came to talk to you about. It's about you and Hermione. It's come to my attention through Dumbledore that there may be some side effects from 'The Breath of Life' that was performed. Do you have some intense feelings for each other?" Sirius studied the look on Harry's face. "From the look on your face I think I know the answer. This is sort of difficult to explain but I'm going to try. Harry, the truest form of love is a choice, the freedom to choose." Sirius started pacing and looking uncomfortable. "When your father and mother graduated they got married right away. I on the other hand enjoyed a carefree single lifestyle. I'll be the first to admit that I wasn't interested in getting tied down. But I did meet a particular girl that was just about to change my mind. I met her almost sixteen years ago. She was beautiful, wild, and daring. She had captured my heart, but something happened." Sirius was looking real uncomfortable.

Harry ventured a guess, "Did she get killed?"

Harry's question brought him round. "Ah, no, nothing like that. Well, to be blunt I found out she had used a love potion on me. You see Harry after I found out. I wasn't sure if it was the love potion or if I really did love her. It was like a betrayal of trust. But what it really came down to was that I didn't know if I had a 'choice' to love her. That's what I'm trying to say. That whatever you and Hermione may feel for each other, it should be a choice, for each of you. Do I make any sense?"

Harry looked confused and concerned. He wasn't about to tell Sirius that they had kissed under Godric's tree and then on top of the Astronomy tower, "Yes, you make sense. I just wonder how I'll be able to tell the difference."

"I wish I could tell you that one Harry. I don't know."

"Sirius, what ever became of the girl you mentioned? What was her name?"

Sirius frowned, "Sarah Campbell. I don't really know what became of her. I was imprisoned shortly after we parted and now. Well, I'm still on the run. I think I'll always wonder if I really loved her or not." Sirius pulled out a pocket watch. "I'm sorry Harry but it's time you got back to your party. Everyone out there knows we had a talk. So they won't be surprised that it took you so long to get cleaned up." Sirius gave his Godson a hug. "Do your best in school and in your special lessons. I have a feeling you're going to need to learn as much as you can for what lies ahead. If we're lucky we will have a year of relative calm. Calm before the storm I'm afraid. He's out there building his forces and getting stronger."

"When will I see you again?"

Sirius whispered, "When you're inducted into the order." Then in a normal tone, "Now off with you. Go on, your birthday party awaits. Oh, wait a sec." Sirius dug into his pocket. "I've got a picture of James and myself in our seventh year. Happy birthday Harry."

Harry looked it over. There was a young Sirius and his dad holding brooms and looking smug.

"We were a couple of arrogant Gryffindors without a clue to the dark trouble that lay ahead. May you be prepared. Go on," he coaxed. "I'll slip out the back."

Harry returned to the party where everyone gave him knowing looks. Some ice cream and spare cake went real well with cold pumpkin juice. And then presents. Harry tried to protest in modesty saying that a birthday party was far more than enough, but graciously opened presents. Ron had given him a used book on 'How to be a Quidditch Captain'. Harry eyed him warily. Hermione had given him a book on 'How to Duel and Not Lose Your Wand' with moving, dueling wands on the cover. Ginny had given him a broach pin with the Gryffindor crest to wear on dress robes. The lion would roar every time you said the word Gryffindor. That particular feature could be turned on or off by tapping it with your wand. Fred and George gave him a half dozen exploding birthday candles trying to make Harry promise not to use them on their birthday cake. Harry refused to make any such promise just to keep the twins on their toes.

Later Mr. Weasley called out in a formal manner, "We the Weasley family would like to give Harry Potter the key to our fireplace as a family gift for his birthday. That means he will not need to 'tap' or wait for a 'step in' in order to come to the Burrow. Harry if you would step forward." Harry stepped forward wondering how this would work.

"Hold out your hand Harry." Mr. Weasley touched the palm of Harry's hand and uttered, "Caveo Claustrum". Ever so briefly it looked like there was a glowing skeleton key in the palm of his hand and then it disappeared. "It is my understanding that the Granger family would also like to present Harry Potter with the key to their fireplace. Hermione Granger if you please." Hermione stepped up to Harry with her wand out. "Since Hermione carries the key to the Granger fireplace and may not legally do magic outside of school I will cover for her. Hold out your hand Harry." Harry once again held out his hand as Hermione and Mr. Weasley touched the palm of his hand with their wands. "Okay, Hermione on the count of two and we'll say it together. One. Two." Then saying together, "Caveo Claustrum." Again a key appeared in his hand and disappeared.

"Thank you everyone. It's been a wonderful - and explosive birthday." Everyone laughed.