Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

There was the smell of grass and people were in panic wanting to know what was wrong, what had happened.

"Albus, this boy is dead."

"Harry let go, you can't help him now"

Harry was still holding onto Cedric, he refused to let go. Cedric's head turned, his eyes were unfocused, his skin a ghastly white in color. Cedric had no expression but his mouth moved.

"Harry, it wasn't your fault."

Harry woke up shaking, he had dreamed it again. But it was different than the way it had happened. This time Cedric had spoke to him and it had sounded so real, so very real. Harry hadn't made a sound, nor had he moved yet a soft voice came from the next bed.

"Harry? Are you awake?"

Harry tried to calm his voice but it shook slightly. "Yes, I'm awake."

"Are you okay?"

Harry felt Hermione touch his hand and it was relief, sweet relief. He felt calmer and squeezed Hermione's hand. "I am now."

"Anything you want to talk about?"

Harry hesitated and said, "No." Then he thought to himself, 'Not yet.'

"I'm right here. Okay?"

"Thanks Hermione."

"Go back to sleep Harry, tomorrow is another day."

Harry woke up and it was early morning. Hermione was still holding his hand sleeping away. Careful not to wake her Harry gently took his hand out of hers. Walking toward a window he had noticed a calendar on the wall, August 3rd. 'Amazing' he thought to himself, 'A day over a week since Hermione had been attacked'. Looking at the calendar it seemed like such a short time for so much to happen, yet he felt like he had been in the Hospital wing for ages. Harry realized that he had missed his birthday but it didn't bother him. He knew it was well worth it as he looked back over his shoulder at Hermione still asleep. He took a deep breath and let it out slowly. 'Yes it was well worth it.' Harry turned back to the window and looked out. It was the start of a new day and it seemed wonderful. Summer was well underway and the early morning air was cool. He could see a slight breeze blow across the grass making little patterns as it went. The grass was a rich green and birds flew across a sky that would soon turn a deep blue but was still an early morning gray. It was all so alive and he wanted to soak it all in. He was joined by someone with brown curly hair. Harry spoke softly as though he were afraid to disturb what he had been trying to take in.

"Hermione, I'm sorry, did I wake you."

"Not really." She looked out the window with him. "It's beautiful isn't it? It's almost as if I've never seen it before, like it's all new. Wish I was out there."

"Yeah," Harry agreed, and noticed a thumping in his head as he started to feel a little weak. Looking at Hermione he could tell she wasn't doing much better. "I think I'll get back in bed." Hermione nodded and they both got back in their beds.

Harry woke up to a deep voice.

"Dear sweet Merlin, they're alive, both of 'em. Ah, Harry, Hermione, I was beside meself. I had to know. I had to see for meself." This huge burly hulk reached down and easily parted the beds and knelt on the floor between them reaching out a pair of arms as big as small tree trucks, but gentle. Poor Hagrid wept. Hermione was wide eyed with panic, she had never seen Hagrid like this. But Harry had, it was right after Harry had faced off with Voldemort over the Philosopher's Stone.

Hagrid was met with Harry and Hermione telling him they were all right and that everything was fine. Even Madam Pomfrey joined in reassuring Hagrid.

"Now Hagrid, didn't Dumbledore send you a personal owl saying they were all right?" asked Madam Pomfrey.

"Aye, he did an ah can see that theya okay now, is jus' such a relief is all. When ah read abou' Hermione bein' kilt an' Harry diappearin' it was almost morin' ah could take," said Hagrid pulling out a small hankie that magically grew in size to accommodate his lovable whiskery face. He wiped his wet face and gave a deep honk into his hankie that sounded more like a moose calling.

Albus came in followed by two house-elves, Dobby and Winky. "I see that you came anyway Hagrid. I expected as much," said Dumbledore with a knowing smile. "Care to join us for breakfast? Hagrid? Poppy? Dobby and Winky have come prepared to serve and I suspect our two patients may be rather famished."

Dobby and Winky had a large tray apiece levitated above them full of steaming breakfast items. With a snap of their fingers Dobby and Winky had conjured a table for Poppy, Hagrid and Dumbledore, plus some bed top serving tables for Harry and Hermione.

Harry had to admit the smell of eggs, bacon, sausage was quite heavenly. Hermione found it difficult to eat left handed, and one handed, her right arm still in a sling. Harry noticed, and being a gentleman Harry offered to cut up her food to bite sizes, she was most grateful. Harry and Hermione told Hagrid all about what had happened with Dumbledore adding in the things they left out. When it was explained that Hermione had been stabbed by a Death Eater Hagrid's face grew dark, almost frightening. Harry was sure no one in their right mind would want to meet up with Hagrid when he looked like that.

After breakfast Madam Pomfrey gave Harry and Hermione another dose of praesangium making sure that Dobby and Winky watched closely. Harry thought it was interesting that Dumbledore magicked a couple of nose pinches for himself and Hagrid as Madam Pomfrey already had one. It didn't smell or taste that bad to him, or Hermione, but he had to admit it wasn't as good as it was the first time.

Harry and Hermione were quite mellow and talked about silly things like installing a swimming pool in the Gryffindor common room. Eventually Madam Pomfrey and Professor Dumbledore took their leave. Dumbledore mentioned a surprise for Hermione in the afternoon as he left. He also told them that Dobby and Winky would be watching out after them for several more days and he himself would be readily available on a moments notice. He also said he would personally be checking in on both of them. Hagrid was last to leave.

"Ya know ye two are quite funny when yar in this condition but ah really must be goin'. I will be back fer tha start ah the school year."

Harry gave Hagrid an animated hug and said, "Awww Hagrid you ought to stay. You can watch Hermione and I play Quidditch this afternoon. In fact you can be on Hermione's team so's it won't be too unfair."

"Ha, Harry Potter I can take you on with only one arm any day of the week," retorted Hermione.

"Ha, ta both of ye's. Neither one ah ya will be playing Quidditch today. You two try to watch out for each otha, eh?"

Hermione gave him a one armed hug and kissed Hagrid on a bare spot of his cheek. Hagrid seemed quite pleased and left with a huge smile.

The two slept, ate lunch, and slept some more. They started off the afternoon playing wizarding chess. When Hermione's parents showed up they had a wide eyed Melanie in tow. It looked like her eyes were going to pop when she saw Hermione. She squealed with joy and burst into tears embracing her long time friend.

"Oh Hermione, I thought you were dead, and then your parents told me you were alive. I - I could hardly believe it when they told me." Melanie's voice went low, "That you were a witch. And I promised not to tell a soul." Melanie's voice came back to full pitch. "Your mum and dad said they got special permission from the Headmaster of your school so that I could come see you. I don't know how you're okay and I don't care. I'm just so happy that you are."

Harry watched the two girls with a mixture of surprise and amusement. He was surprised that Professor Dumbledore had made the exception and slightly amused at the fuss they were making.

Hermione had burst into tears as well and hugged her friend. "Melanie I can't believe your here. Of course you thought I was dead. How could you not and, and, well I'm so glad to see you. As for me being okay, I have Harry here to thank."

Melanie's jaw dropped, "Really? But how?"

"You could say he brought me back to life with a kiss," Hermione said grinning.

"Oh my gosh - it was magic," said Melanie who promptly ran around the other side. "Thank you for saving Hermione." And planted a kiss on Harry's cheek in her excitement.

Harry had a surprised half grin. "Well, yeah, Hermione's my friend too."

Hermione, Melanie and Katherine chattered away as David informed Harry that the Ministry of Magic had placed some magical protection on their house after Hermione's attack. David said it was strange how someone from the Ministry had interviewed them, almost as if the interviewer didn't believe them about what had happened.

Just before the Grangers and Melanie left, Melanie glanced at Harry and whispered something in Hermione's ear. Hermione had flushed and clutched her pillow like she wanted to hit Melanie with it, then they both giggled.

The next morning after breakfast with Hermione and Dumbledore, Harry and Hermione were given another dose of praesangium by Dobby and Winky. The stuff smelled and tasted bland, it was definitely losing its desirability and the after effect just made them feel mellow instead of goofy. Harry decided to owl Sirius about Hagrid's and Melanie's visit and all the things that had happened since. Hermione had recommended against it since it was such a long way to the Owlery, but Harry had convinced her it would be alright if Dobby came with him. It didn't seem like it was going to be too bad a walk when he started out but the thumping in his head was getting louder by the time he had tied Sirius' letter to one of the school owls.

"Is Harry Potter sir feeling well?"

"So far Dobby, thanks for coming with me."

"It is an honor to watch over a famous wizard such as Harry Potter, sir. Dobby did not want to be paid for doing so. But Headmaster Dumbledore said things must be official. So it was accept to be paid or Dobby would not be allowed to take care of his friend Harry Potter, sir. Dobby admires Harry Potter above all wizards, except maybe Headmaster Dumbledore. Harry Potter risked his life to save his 'mione, his friend."

Thump, thump, thump, was what Harry feeling in his head and he was walking slower but smiled weakly, "Thanks Dobby, I admire you too. You risked a lot trying to save me once."

Dobby stopped in his tracks. "Harry Potter admires Dobby? The famous Harry Potter admires Dobby?" He looked like he was about to cry. "A famous wizard such as yourself admires a lowly house-elf such as Dobby. Harry Potter is truly a great wizard," said Dobby wiping away a tear.

Thump, thump, thump, Harry had stopped and was leaning against the corridor wall. Dobby snapped his fingers and Harry was being levitated on a stretcher down the hall back to the Hospital wing. Harry was grateful for Dobby's assistance but disgusted that he couldn't make it to the Owlery and back. He hated not being able to do simple things without feeling weak and light headed.

"Harry! Are you okay?" came Hermione's question as Dobby snapped his fingers again and gently lowered Harry back onto his hospital bed. It was then that Harry noticed a surly looking fella standing next to Hermione's bed looking concerned.

"Hey there Viktor. Yeah, Hermione I'm fine. I just got a little wore out is all. Irritating really, not being able to walk to the Owlery and back without nearly passing out. Don't mind me I'm just a little winded."

"I told you it might be too much Harry, I'm glad Dobby went with you."

"Vat is vrong vith they both of you? I found in the paper that Herm-own-ninny is killed an Harry is missing?"

"I'm not sure what's wrong with both of us exactly. I've been told 'The Breath of Life' was performed and that Harry performed the transference risking his own life. We've been sleeping a lot and taking praesangium as treatment."

Viktor Krum's eyes got very wide and Harry drifted off to sleep. He dreamed of a dark place, but there was no presence of Voldemort here, only depravity. There were witches and wizards sitting or lying in the shadows, pale and sickly looking. The smell drifting through the place was worse than stomach wrenching, yet, almost familiar. Something scurried by on the floor and it startled him. Harry didn't get a good look at it but it seemed to be a foul creature, something that feasted on blood. Harry wondered how he knew that. Next he saw small knives and sharp instruments on a small dimly lit table. Some voice called out from the shadows.

"Razage? Anyone have more Razage?" came a female voice. The question was followed by a hollow laugh from a pair of glazed over eyes and twisted smile.

Harry was repulsed. How could anyone do such things to themselves. Uggh! The smell!

Harry woke up with Dobby on his bed holding a cup of praesangium. It didn't smell very good and tasted a little bitter. Harry looked over at Hermione who had just got her dose from Winky. The look on Hermione's face was exactly how he felt about his.

"Hermione, is it my imagination or is this stuff tasting worse by the day?"

"It's not your imagination," she said gratefully taking a breath mint form Winky. For as long as the mint lasted she was blowing out a cold breath, it looked as though she were talking into frigid air as she continued. "Viktor explained to me about how the use of praesngium can be abused. It can only be legally made by a licensed Potions Master. I assume that what we're taking was made by Professor Snape." Hermione noticed Harry looking around. "Viktor has already left. He didn't want to wake you. And I suspect he didn't want to be around when we got our dose of medicine either."

Hermione twisted on her bed to face Harry better and talked with a touch more excitement. "Viktor just got through telling me that he believes us. That Voldemort has come back and that someday he must be stopped. He said that he knew of others that believed the same way he did. Viktor told me how I could contact him in the future if we ever need his help."

Harry gave a slow nod. "Yes, his help could be useful someday. I see he left a copy of the Daily Prophet."

"Yeah, I was just getting ready to read it."

Harry turned and looked out the window again. He was soon daydreaming of playing Quidditch and flying on his broom. He figured it would be several more days before he tried. The last thing he wanted to do was pass out and fall off his broom. His daydreaming was brought up short as he heard Hermione choke with a muffled scream. Hermione's hands were shaking, still holding onto the paper, her face had turned a light shade of red, which was saying quite a bit since she and Harry were still pale looking.

"I…I can't believe. That woman!" yelled Hermione. "Oooooo…" She threw the paper down on the bed and clenched her fists. Harry thought she was going to start pulling her hair out. He wasn't sure he had seen her so mad. He slowly reached over and gingerly picked up the paper from off of her bed as though he were afraid she might burst into flame any second. He kept one eye on Hermione as he started to read the front page.

Harry Potter Missing

The famous Harry Potter (The Boy Who Lived) has been reported missing and his one time girlfriend Hermione Grancher has turned up dead in a muggle hospital. Is there a coincidence in this event? Miss Grancher had been known to be a flirting trollop with many a young boy of Hogwarts and possibly with Viktor Krum the famous Bulgarian Quidditch Seeker. She was noted to have been a top student but one has to question how she managed to attain such grades having been the offspring of muggle parents.

It is claimed by some that her attacker was a Death Eater but this seems most unlikely and cannot be verified since the attacker's body has disappeared from the Ministry Morgue.

This reporter wonders if the impressionable young Harry Potter may have done the deed himself, as a possible crime of passion, having finally found out what kind of girl Miss Grancher really was.

Watch for the most accurate reporting available to the wizarding world as more develops in this tragic disappearance.

Rita Skeeter

Harry felt his own face flush. He and Hermione's eyes met and they said simultaneously, "She's going down!" Both of them snarled and began a furious conversation as to what was going to happen to 'Rita Skeeter'. Each was trying to one up the other on what hex or curse would best befall the worst excuse of a witch that had the misfortune to be born the current century. The exchange of ideas eventually had the effect of making them laugh. But Hermione had the idea of sending Rita Skeeter an owl with a simple drawing of a girl with curly hair and a boy with a lightning shaped scar on his forehead stepping on a large, fat beetle with antennae looking a lot like the foul glasses Rita Skeeter wears. The drawing would be signed by each of them.

Harry agreed, "Yes, that's the ticket. It's simple, short, and sweet. The worry of what could happen next will drive her insane." They both smiled mischievously.

The Grangers and Weasley's made regular visits over the next few days as Harry and Hermione grew stronger. Their dislike of praesangium grew stronger also.

It was mid Saturday morning Harry was expecting a visit from Ron in the afternoon. Ron obviously enjoyed riding Harry's Firebolt. Harry didn't mind, he was glad to see his friend. Harry was thinking about Ron's upcoming visit while he and Hermione were looking out the window. They had taken to this pass time with ever increasing frequency and duration. They both felt cabin fever in the worst way.

"Let's have lunch down by the lake," Harry suggested as they were both leaning out, stiff arms on the ledge.

"I would love to. Do you think we can handle it?"

"I don't care. I've got to get out of here. Besides we made it to the Owlery and back yesterday." They both grinned. Their trek to the Owlery the day before was to send Rita Skeeter their note. The drawing they sent Rita Skeeter was very good. They both snickered at the finished result. With a spell Hermione made the drawing have motion. The two of them stepping on a shocked looking beetle that made an "Eeek!" just before a "Squish!" with the two figures of themselves shaking hands with satisfied looks. The caption read, "Don't you just hate things that bug you?"

"Okay, let's go for it."

Overlooking the lake there was only one large tree on the school side that could provide any shade. Harry and Hermione made their way 'slowly' to keep the thumping in their heads to a minimum. They were still easily tired and Harry didn't think they could have made it if not for Dobby and Winky bringing their lunches on levitated trays. Anything they wanted in the way of food, Dobby or Winky, were more than happy to supply. Harry had a tremendous craving for meats of all kinds and Hermione confessed it was the same for her. For lunch they were going to dine on smoked ham and beef, baked beans, Cole slaw, potato salad, deviled eggs, and even - heaven forbid, liver. They made each other swear to never tell a soul. Harry had remarked that normally he didn't care much for liver and Hermione confessed that she could hardly stand the smell of it let alone eat it. Yet they both seemed to crave it. So, it was on the menu.

Dobby and Winky were very helpful as they magicked a blanket for them to sit on under the large oak on the waters edge of the lake. Harry and Hermione constantly thanked them and the two house-elves were most pleased at being thanked by a wizard and a witch.

Lunch was filling and made them drowsy. Harry woke up from his after lunch nap, his back against the big oak. He was surprised and pleased to find Hermione had fallen asleep with her head against his shoulder. He resisted the urge to stretch, he didn't want to wake her. Harry looked across the lake and thought how beautiful everything was. There was a gentle breeze blowing toward them that caused little ripples on the water that made a soft lapping sound against the waters edge of the bank a couple of yards from them. Harry watched soft buttermilk colored clouds lazily drift across the sky and listened to the rustle of green leaves of the great oak above them that came in an ebbing and flowing like the earth breathing. It all looked so alive, as though he had never really noticed or appreciated it before. He felt glad to be alive, glad that Hermione was alive. At this last thought he turned his head slightly looking down at the brown curly hair of his friend. The breeze blew a loose stand of Hermione's hair that came up and tickled Harry's cheek. He didn't mind. Hermione took a deep breath, stirred, leaned forward and stretched.

"Oh, I must have fallen asleep," she said in the middle of a yawn. She took her right arm out of its sling and slowly stretched it out, wincing some as she did. "I'm getting tired of having my arm in this sling. Madam Pomfrey said that normally she would have had me fixed up in short order, but that maybe the poison was hindering her normal treatments."

"Where does it hurt Herm?"

She looked at him and smiled. She couldn't remember him calling her 'Herm' before. "Here." She brought her left arm under her chin putting her hand back to her right shoulder blade.

"Would it help if I rubbed it for you?"

"Oh, yeah, it might. That could be nice. You don't' mind?"

"Not at all."

Hermione twisted turning her back to him. "Hold on a sec." She took her arm out of the sling and took off the sling tossing it on the blanket. Then, she took her left hand and unbuttoned a few of the top buttons of her blouse and pulled down on her right sleeve exposing her shoulder and Harry's first glimpse of the scar left from the stabbing. Hermione bit her lip feeling self conscious. "Is it bad? Does it look bad?"

Harry was just now beginning to realize how vicious the attack on Hermione had been. It was a strange looking scar, but after seeing the dagger he could see how it had been formed. "No, it doesn't look all that bad, just different."

"Could you describe it to me?" she asked still feeling self conscious.

"I guess…well… To me it looks like an upside down tear drop on top of an upside down cross." Harry reached out and outlined the scar. He was careful not to touch the scar itself for fear it might hurt. Hermione gave a small shiver and straightened. "I'm sorry, did that hurt?"

"No, no. Maybe a little tender….You said something about a rub?"

Harry put his hands on Hermione's shoulder and it gave him a small rush. He fought it back. 'She's my friend, I shouldn't be feeling anything more' as he worked the muscles of her shoulder rather adeptly trying to sense at what point he was massaging too deep. "How am I doing? Feel okay?"

Hermione's first thought was to say, 'Wow, what are you doing to me?' "Uh, yeah, that's nice," she said slowly letting out an involuntary groan. She felt like she could melt under his touch and was really struggling with it. 'Harry is my friend. I shouldn't be feeling this way.' After several minutes she said, "Thanks Harry." Buttoned back up, she stretched out her arm slowly. "That's much better but it's still stiff."

Hermione looked around at the beautiful summer afternoon and took a deep breath. "It shouldn't take a near death experience to make me appreciate the beauty in the world. It's as though I'm seeing it for the first time and I can't get enough of it."

"I know what you mean. I've been feeling the same way."

Hermione looked at him and smiled. She leaned back and rested her head between his head and his shoulder much in the same position as when she fell asleep earlier. This time Harry put his arm around her and they soaked up the beauty of life and everything around them.

"Really Albus, is this necessary?"

"I did tell them I would be checking in on them and this way is less intrusive. Wouldn't you agree Minerva?"

"Less intrusive is one way of putting it. It could also be considered spying. I am quite aware of your habits Albus."

Dumbledore looked at her over his half moon glasses with a wry smile. "Being Headmaster gives me a few privileges and I've always been discreet." Albus Dumbledore and Minerva McGonagall were high up in the Headmaster's tower looking out one of seven windows that surveyed all of Hogwarts castle and grounds. This particular window overlooked the lake. "I believe our two summer patients are having lunch under Godric's tree today. A closer look could confirm that." Dumbledore waved his wand and what looked like a large oval shaped mirror appeared before them, hovering in mid air, just out the window. He waved his wand again and the two teens in question could be seen in the view, Hermione leaning against Harry. They both looked very content.

"They look so much like Lily and James," commented Minerva.

"Yes, they do. And I take it from your observation that you've done your share of spying as well."

Minerva frowned but only commented on something else. "Godric's tree. It's always been nicknamed that and no one really knows if Godric planted it or not. It's always been popular with the students and enchanted for protection. Particularly to reinforce the limbs as to the many climbers it's had over the years.

"It is indeed enchanted. As a young lad in my youth I attempted to magic my initials onto the tree with no success. Did you ever try that Minerva?" Dumbledore's eyes twinkled.

She didn't answer but looked at the ceiling. "We've seen enough haven't we Albus?"

"Maybe just a touch of sound before I let the matter rest." Albus waved his wand again and the rustling of leaves in the great oak could be heard emanating from the viewer.

Resting against Harry, Hermione suddenly leaned forward and said, "Harry, do you think it would be alright if a girl kissed the fella that saved her life?" Hermione couldn't believe the words that had just come out of her mouth. It was spontaneous. And now she was regretting it. She turned toward Harry with her head tilted down and looked up at him apprehensively into emerald green eyes and a smile that made her weak. 'I should not have said that. I'll just tell him I'm sorry'. But she hesitated.

Harry's heart skipped a beat. Had he just heard Hermione ask to kiss him for saving her life? He looked into her deep brown eyes. "I think that would be fine." The words came out but he hardly realized that he had said them.

'It's just a little kiss, a thank you kiss, to a friend, a dear friend,' she told herself. 'It'll be alright.' But 'First Kiss' was somewhere in the back of her mind and she desperately fought to keep it down.

'I couldn't say no. That would be cruel. She's a friend, a close friend, a best friend. She's thanking me and there's nothing wrong with that.'

They leaned forward toward each other. Harry reached out touched her cheek and slid his fingers under her hair, gently bracing is hand on the back of her neck. He closed his eyes just before their lips touched.

Hermione had reached out and put her left hand on Harry's shoulder. Her heart fluttered as she closed her eyes.

Time stood still.

"That's enough isn't it Albus?"

"Yes, I believe -". Dumbledore didn't finish his sentence. Fawkes had just flown in and landed on his shoulder and let out a single beautiful note. Both of them looked at Fawkes in wonder but their attention was quickly pulled to the Viewer as an echoing note sounded. Harry and Hermione seemed to be locked, motionless, in the moment of a first kiss surrounded by tiny shimmering gold flames. It almost looked like a swarm of fireflies dancing around them, and the daylight did not dim their brilliance.

McGonagall gasped, "Albus, what does this mean?"

Harry and Hermione pulled apart both looking surprised. 'Wow!' was all Hermione could think. It almost took her breath away but she managed to get out a "Thank you Harry."

"Your welcome Herm." Harry felt stunned, he never thought anything could feel like that. He wasn't sure what he was feeling. He wasn't sure how to handle it.

"Isn't Ron supposed to be coming this afternoon?" Harry turned to look at the sky ducking down trying to look out from under the great oak.

Hermione did the same busting into a big grin and pointing. "Speak of the devil there he is."

They both got up walking out from under the tree calling to Ron, trying to get his attention before he got to the castle on Harry's broom. It worked and Ron turned circling down to land beside them.

Dumbledore waved his wand at the viewer and it disappeared. He thoughtfully stroked his bearded chin. "I'm not sure what it means. It does not appear that either of them is aware of the phenomenon taking place around them." He then looked at Fawkes on his shoulder. "Is there something you'd like to tell me old friend?" If Fawkes could only talk, but he couldn't, all he did was turn is long neck looking at Dumbledore with coal black eyes. It was an almost unmistakable look of, 'Isn't it obvious?'

Ron landed and came walking up. "You guys are looking better. A little more color to ya. Not so pale. Glad to see ya made it out of the castle too."

"Oh yeah, I'm definitely glad to be out," said Harry.

"Me too, I've never spent so much time in the Hospital Wing. Say, let's head back under the shade. I like how warm it is but the sun does bear down a bit."

"I hear ya. It's not so bad with the wind blowing by while flying. But standing around on the ground gets a bit toasty."

As they made their way back under the tree Harry gave Ron a sideways look and grinned.

"By the way Ron, how's my broom holding up?"

Ron tried to hold back a big smile, but failed looking up at the sky. "Um, yeah, it's holding up great." Then looking frustrated he said, "Mum let's me ride it here but she won't let me ride it at home. Says I might break it or something. Makes no sense ah what the difference is."

"I don't mind if you ride it Ron."

"Thanks."

They settled themselves onto the cool green grass under the tree as Dobby and Winky had already cleared everything away without being noticed.

"By the way Ron, Viktor Krum asked me to say hello," said Hermione.

"What? Krum came to see you guys?" And then disappointed, "And I wasn't there"

"I hardly got to talk to him. I had just gotten back from the Owlery and was tuckered out. I fell asleep right off. But he left behind a copy of the Daily Prophet."

"Oh," Ron's face darkened, "Yeah, I read it a week ago. I was going to tell you guys later." Ron noticed neither Harry nor Hermione were upset. "I thought you would both be fuming mad."

Harry and Hermione looked at each other, their faces looking like a couple of cats that had just ate the canary.

"Hang on. What are you two planning? Some sorta payback?"

"Actually we're not planning," said Hermione aloof.

Ron's eyes got big. "Ohhhh, what 'ave you two done?"

Harry and Hermione filled him in, giving a reenactment performance of their drawing. Ron yelled out upon conclusion, "Ahhh, Wicked!" And they all laughed.

Harry felt good. Here he was sharing laughter with his best friends. He looked from Hermione to Ron. "You know, I couldn't ask for better friends that the two of you. We've shared a lot together, but there's something that we haven't shared. - That I haven't shared with the two of you and I deeply appreciate you're kindness in being patient with me. I think I'm ready to tell you what happened at the Triwizard Tournament. That is, If you're up to it?"

Hermione and Ron both nodded slowly with apprehension.

Harry took a deep breath and leaned against the tree and looked out into the distance. He began by telling them what had happened inside the maze of the third challenge. He told them of how it had all seemed too easy, but that he hadn't clued in on it. And of how he and Cedric had decided to share the Triwizard Cup which Barty Crouch Jr. had turned into a Portkey. Harry was reliving it all in his mind again as he told about how Peter Pettigrew had killed Cedric with Voldemort's wand and Voldemort's rebirth. He was barely aware of Hermione and Ron's small gasps and groans as the ordeal unfolded. Harry paused slightly before he told them about the Priori Incantatem effect of his and Voldemort's wands and how the smoky images of the people Voldemort had killed came out the end of Voldemort's wand, including his parents. He finished by telling them of his escape with Cedric's body.

"The rest you know," he said with a sigh.

"Oh, Harry!" Hermione ran to him burying her face into his chest and sobbing, holding him tight. "That's, that's horrible."

Ron had walked up and put a hand on Harry's shoulder unable to say a word. Unable to hold back tears that overwhelmed him, he embraced his two friends.

Harry felt relief from a burden that had been too much for him to bear. It was a release from a mountain of pain and guilt, but he refused to let go of it all. He held onto a fistful of pain for a future day of reckoning.

"I know it's not my fault. But still, I wonder if -"

Hermione had pulled away, tears still running down her cheeks, and put fingers to Harry's lips. "Don't even think such a thing Harry Potter. Don't even think it," she said with faltering sternness and then embraced him again.

"It wasn't really my intent to make my friends sad," Harry said trying to lighten the mood.

Ron was drying his face and Hermione stepped back, drying her own. Harry reached up to adjust his glasses only to be thoroughly surprised to find his own face, damp with tears.

"Come on guys. It's a beautiful summer day. It was meant to be enjoyed. How about a game of exploding snap? Last one back to the castle is a lazy Flobberworm!"

"Hey! No fair Harry. You've got a head start."

It didn't really matter that Harry had a head start. Half way back to the castle he dropped to the grass.

"Harry?" yelled Hermione. Her own question was answered as she too crumpled to the grass next to Harry.

They were both lying on the ground breathing heavily and looking pale.

"Sorry Herm. I forgot."

"It's ok, I did too. But it felt good to run. It's more than either of us have done so far."

"Oh," Harry groaned. "This thumping in my head."

"Mine too."

"Bloody 'ell," said Ron walking up and squatting on the ground next to them. "Looks like I win by default. Hmmm, ya know if you two would lay out here and get a bit ah tan from the sun you could pass as a couple Flobberworms. They don't' do much but lay around just like you're doing."

"Shut up Ron," they both said in unison.

Two house-elves appeared and gave some welcome assistance, magicking a couple of stretchers and levitating the two teens back to the Hospital Wing. Ron was following the procession back and said, "Dobby, Winky, I'm glad you two showed up. I was beginning to wonder how I could levitate both of them at once."

"It was no trouble Mr. Wheezy sir. It is our job to watch after Harry Potter."

"And Miss Hermione," said Winky.

Harry and Hermione thanked the two house-elves who protested mildly that they were more than glad to be of service. It was still evident that both Dobby and Winky were pleased at being thanked.

"Dobby I wish you would get my name right."

Dobby gave Ron a toothy grin as Harry and Hermione snickered.

If any of the three had bothered to look at Godric's tree before they took off running toward the castle they would have noticed two sets of initials JP and LE in gold letters that were beginning to fade away.

The two looked wore out and Ron decided to head back home. He did glance at Hermione before he left and motioned with his head toward Harry. They both smiled. They were glad Harry had finally gotten the tragic experience out of his system.

It was several hours later and after another dose or praesangium, that was starting to become intolerable, that David and Katherine Granger came through the Hospital Wing door.

"Hi mum, hi da -." Hermione didn't finish. Katherine and David had stepped in through the door looked around and drew out wands. Hermione screamed, "Harry!" as she rolled off the bed knocking over the small table next to her bed. She was scrambling desperately to get her wand out from beneath the over turned table.

Harry was immediately drawn to Hermione's unfinished greeting to her parents. Suddenly his mind went into overdrive; every action looked to be in slow motion. He could see David and Katherine slowly drawing out wands. 'DANGER' is what went off in Harry's head. He heard Hermione scream his name as she rolled off the bed. Everything was moving so slowly as his mind raced faster. He knew he had to have his wand. Never taking his eyes off them he put out his left hand, his wand slapped into his hand like a surgeon being handed an instrument. Wand in hand he brought his arm around to bear down on the two imposters. Would he be quick enough? It was going to be close - too close. He could hear himself starting to say the words to cast a spell and stupefy them, but there were two. If he was able to get one, could he possibly get both? All he knew was that he had to. He had helped save Hermione's life, only to lose both their lives now? 'Hurry! Hurry!' was what went through his mind.

"Harry! It's all right!" came Dumbledore's commanding voice. Dumbledore and McGonagall came through the door behind the two imposters.

Harry's heart was pounding in his chest; his arm was still outstretched, his wand pointed at the two imposters.

Dumbledore walked up to Harry and said in a softer voice, "It's all right Harry. They're not really Hermione's parents. Lower your wand Harry, all will be explained." Harry was shocked but lowered his wand as McGonagall helped Hermione up off the floor righting the table as Hermione sat on the edge of the bed. Dumbledore turned to the two strangers and nodded. The two cast a simultaneous Concealment spell on the room and seemingly morphed into and old witch and an old wizard, older than Dumbledore by maybe half a century. They were well dressed in fine robes, trimmed in gold. She had long wavy white hair, her face and hands were very wrinkled but her kind blue eyes showed youth of mind. The wizard had short white hair under a fancy pointed wizard hat. His beard was also white but was trimmed to two points and less than half the length of Dumbledore's. He had a scar on his cheek and his hazel eyes were constantly watchful. If he would've had a parrot on his shoulder and an ear ring in his ear Harry thought he could have passed as a pirate, then decided a pirate with a white beard didn't fit the stereotype. The witch and wizard were about the same height as each other but shorter than Dumbledore. Who were these two that had nearly scared the wits out of him and Hermione? But they looked familiar.

Dumbledore turned to the two. "Did you see?"

"Yes, most impressive." They both agreed.

"Hang on, you were both involved with the spell that saved Hermione," Harry suddenly remembered.

"Quite right Harry. This is Nicholas and Perenelle Flamel as they really are," said Dumbledore as he introduced the Flamels.

Nicholas and Perenelle came up and greeted Harry and Hermione in turn. Hermione's mouth was hanging open but everyone seemed to ignore it. The Flamels turned toward Harry and Nicholas spoke first.

"I'm sorry we startled you both, but the disguises were necessary. Perenelle and I have come to see you for two reasons. The first is to offer you a choice, Harry, a way out of Voldemort's view till you are ready."

"Er, sorry. How's that?"

Perenelle spoke next, "You see Harry we have lived almost five centuries in hiding and secrecy. Without bragging I can say that we are very good at it. We've had centuries of practice. We can offer our knowledge and skill in helping you to hide from Voldemort."

McGonagall spoke up, "That would mean Mr. Potter that you would give up school here at Hogwarts. The Flamels and the Order would take over your education exclusively. You would have to give up contact with everyone you know."

Hermione's head snapped to Harry and looked at him intently. Dumbledore walked up and put a hand on Harry's shoulder. "I don't expect you to make this decision right away Harry"

"It's just unexpected is all." Harry paused and asked the Flamels, " Why have you been in hiding all these years?"

"Because of the Philosopher's Stone Harry," blurted out Hermione.

"Yes, that's the reason," said Nicholas. "Think of it Harry. The 'Elixir of Life' and you could live forever, or all the gold you could imagine, or both. Either of these things could give the possessor great power. We've always viewed it as a great responsibility not to be abused. We therefore decided to destroy the stone rather than risk Voldemort obtaining it."

"If the stone is destroyed then why are you still in hiding?"

Nicholas gave a bitter smile. "There are those who would want to force us to make another. So, you see, it never ends….'til we are gone…. We are also mistrusted by the Ministry. The ministry fears what could happen if the world economy were flooded with gold. And they are not yet convinced the stone has been destroyed."

Harry looked at the Flamels in wonder, "You could have ruled the world," he said in awe.

"I'm afraid ruling the world is strictly forbidden by former leaders of the Order," interjected Dumbledore trying to help make light of Harry's ominous implication.

"Who is the current leader of the Order?" asked Hermione.

"Headmaster Dumbledore is," answered McGonagall. Professor Dumbledore didn't say a word but looked very modest.

Finally Dumbledore said, "I would also like to point out that your Godfather could have made the decision for you. However, he felt that this decision should be yours. Take your time Harry. Such a decision should not be made lightly," turning toward to Flamels as if he intended to end the meeting.

"I think I already have professor." All eyes were on Harry as Hermione was biting her lip, her face full of concern. Harry had an adrenalin high from the scare but his mind was just that much sharper because of it. "Wouldn't it seem like I was running away, now that Voldemort has come back?"

Dumbledore replied, "It is true that you are a symbol of inspiration to those who believe that Voldemort has come back, 'The Boy Who Lived', gives hope that Voldemort can be defied. To some it may seem that you are running away but not to those of us who know you."

"I want to stay and fight. I realize I have a lot to learn but I have to do everything I can to stop him. Everything Voldemort has done and everything that has happened, not just to me, but to everyone who has suffered from his heartless quest of immortality and power, is proof that I must try. He must be stopped."

Dumbledore and McGonagall looked proud, the Flamels looked thoughtful but Hermione obviously had mixed emotions.

"A quick decision on such in important matter but I see maturity in it." Dumbledore looked at the Flamels and professor McGonagall. "I assume our business at hand is concluded if there is nothing further?"

"Wait, Mr. and Mrs. Flamel. You said there were two reasons you came to see me. What was the second?"

The Flamels glanced at Dumbledore who turned to Harry and looked at him over his half moon glasses, his eyes twinkling. "I'll discuss it with you later Harry. It will keep for now."

With the meeting concluded the Flamels assumed the disguises of David and Katherine Granger and removed the Concealment spell.

"Bye dear, hope you'll be coming home soon. Bye Harry. Your welcome to come by anytime."

"Bye pumpkin. Bye Harry"

The Flamels looked and sounded so much like the real Grangers it was unnerving. "Bye…..mum…..dad"

She and Harry half heartedly waved goodbye, somewhat creeped out.

After they left Hermione was anxious to talk to Harry. "Harry, why didn't you take them up on their offer? You could have learned what you needed to know without being exposed." She looked down. "Of course I wouldn't want you to go, but it would've been safer."

"Hermione." Harry waited till she looked up at him and he could look deep into her brown eyes. "Where would I be without my friends? Hogwarts is like my home. I just need my friends -"

"To be careful?" Hermione finished for him, "You bet. Game of wizarding chess?"

Dumbledore checked on them briefly before lights were dimmed. It had been an exciting day and they both fell asleep easily.

Somehow they always woke up holding hands, a reassurance that didn't seem to be embarrassing. Again they spent time looking out the window early in the morning. Later they had breakfast with Dumbledore and McGonagall in the Hospital Wing. Harry and Hermione had loads of questions they were dying to ask about the Order, but secrecy seemed to forbid it without a Concealment spell. Professor McGonagall must have known what was on their minds. At one point in the conversation she said, "I believe one of your first advanced assignments will be to learn a simple Concealment spell. As if a Concealment spell were simple to begin with. Anyway, we'll discuss when that will take place later." 'Always later,' Harry thought.

Out of boredom Hermione had ventured to the library and brought back a book on 'Merlin Legends' and tossed Harry a book on 'Quidditch Strategies'. Suddenly they both chocked at a smell.

Harry pinched his nose. Sounding nasal, "Aww, Gawd! That's 'orrible!"

Hermione did the same and had her hand over her mouth as well. She didn't say anything but looked like she was trying to hold down what was left of her breakfast.

Dobby and Winky were each holding a cup of nasty looking potion, praesangium. Harry could hardly believe his very first dose had smelled and tasted pleasant…..but not now.

"Mr. Harry Potter, sir," Dobby said in his high pitched elf voice offering Harry the cup with a toothy smile.

"Miss Hermione Granger, miss," said Winky in her higher pitched voice offering Hermione a cup with the same encouragement.

"I don' know Dobby. I'm na sure I can drink it," Harry said looking at it with dread. But the thought of getting out of the Hospital Wing and going to the Weasley's was making him consider trying.

Hermione was evidently thinking along the same track. "Okay, Winky. I'm going to try," said Hermione while pinching her nose. She tried not to look at it but tried to take a quick gulp, gagging, and then breathing. She refused to let go of her nose. It tasted worse than horrible.

Three big gulps later and gasping for air both of them had their mouths open with tongues hanging out. "Mint! Quick! A mint! Uggh!" They both hollered.

With a mint down and the room cleared Harry breathed frosty breaths as he spoke. "That's worse than any Polyjuice Potion every thought of being!" he said with disgust.

Hermione just nodded agreement, a pained look on her face, trying to get the most out of the mint.

"Hermione, want to play some more wizarding Chess before we have lunch with Dumbledore and McGonagall in the Headmaster's tower?"

"Why don't we wander the castle," suggested Hermione. "We'll walk slow. I don't think anyone is here besides Professors McGonagall and Dumbledore. I don't think Filch is here either."

"Ok, let's go to the Great Hall and make our way up to the Headmaster's tower. As slow as we'll be going it ought to work out about right."

The hallways were indeed empty as they made their way around the castle. "Sure seems weird to see everything so empty. It doesn't seem quite right not to be full of students going here and there talking, laughing, and studying. It seems almost decadent to be wearing muggle clothes and not our school robes," Hermione said grinning. Hermione had decided to wear a modest length tan skirt along with a white blouse her mother had brought her from home. Harry was wearing a light blue short sleeve shirt and denim shorts.

Hermione stopped dead in her tracks, jaw locked, and she was squinting at the floor about ten feet in front of them. When Hermione suddenly yelled out, "Peeves! Don't come anywhere near me!"

Harry jumped. "Ah, Hermione?" He looked at her in bewilderment.

"I mean it Peeves!" She took a quick step to her left, then backed up and took a quick step to her right just as suddenly.

Harry was beginning to wonder what was wrong with her as he took a step back. "Hermione… I don't see Peeves up ahead of us. How do you know he's there?"

Hermione glanced from the floor to Harry. "What do you mean? I can see him plain as day. Well, as plain as you can see a ghost I guess." Hermione looked back to the floor. "That's the last straw Peeves! I am not about to let you try to toss my skirt over my head. I've heard about you tossing robes over girls' heads." Hermione reached for her wand tucked between her blouse and skirt and held it out. "I'm going to give you a shock Peeves. I mean it!"

Harry was beside himself on what to do. Try to calm her or go get one of the professors. He was just about ready to try to calm her when Peeves came up from floor like an overgrown bursting popcorn kernel. "Nehhhhhhhhh! Naughty Potter and his ranger Granger. Saaaaay, how did you see meeeee?" Peeves the Poltergeist crossed his arms and looked at her with one eye before sticking out his tongue and giving the raspberries. "You're no fun, I was just going to give young Potter a look see," he said grinning mischievously. "Maybe find out what color undies ranger Granger has."

Harry's face was turning slightly pink but Hermione had already suspected as much.

Peeves' eyes got animatedly big. "Oooooh, maybe we'll find out she's not wear-"

Hermione had had enough. "Aspello Agito Fulguritus!" The corridor in front of them erupted with crackling arcs of electricity. Peeves let out a yelp and scurried off shouting obscenities as he went. Hermione put out her chin and gave a satisfied nod. She turned to Harry expecting maybe a mild compliment only to find him staring at her.

"What? I had heard he likes to do that robe over the head thing when he thinks he can get away with it. I'm not able to handle the spell as well as one of the teachers, of course, that's why it was all over the corridor instead of specifically on Peeves." Harry was looking at her with concern. "Uh, what's the matter?"

Harry's brow furrowed and he was shaking his head slightly from side to side. "I was impressed with the spell well enough. In fact, I want you to show me how to do that." Harry paused. "It was your eyes when you turned and looked at me. You said you could see Peeves as plain as day, but I didn't see him until he popped up and started talking. Your eyes looked really weird. They were sort of grey and glossy." Harry walked up and cupped Hermione's chin in his hands looking deep into her eyes. Hermione began to look worried. Harry gave her a reassuring smile. "They look just fine now, just as brown and gorgeous as ever."

Hermione smirked, but liked the compliment. Harry put his arm around her shoulders. "Come on, let's head up to the Headmaster's tower for lunch. How's the shoulder by the way? I noticed you're not wearing an arm sling today."

"It still hurts once in awhile. I have the arm sling folded up in my pocket just in case. I just get so tired of my arm being in the same position all the time."

Lunch went pleasantly enough. Harry and Hermione's appetites were coming back and the Professors were pleased. Harry told about Hermione casting a Fulguritus spell on Peeves. Dumbledore and McGonagall were impressed that a Fifth Year had accomplished such a spell. Hermione was modest and said it still needed a lot of work. Then, Harry brought up how Hermione was able to see an invisible Peeves and that her eyes looked strange. McGonagall as well as the two teens tried to hide their concern.

Dumbledore stroked his bearded chin, looking thoughtful. Finally he looked at Hermione over his half moon glasses. "My dear, no one really knows what effect your near death experience may have had upon you. But I suspect it is because of that experience, of being so close to death, that you may now have a new kind of sight. I have never heard of anyone able to see a ghost that chooses to be invisible. Most interesting. However, I will discourage the knowledge of this ability being widely known. Or any other unusual ability you may discover from this experience. People tend to fear what they do not understand."

"Quite right Albus," McGonagall said looking disgusted. She turned to Hermione. "You still don't remember anything about the attack upon you?"

"Not a thing Professor. It's a complete blank. I remember walking to see Melanie and then I woke up in the Hospital Wing very concerned about Harry. It's usually Harry that ends up in the Hospital Wing anyway."

"Hey, just because I play Quidditch." They all laughed, including Harry.

"Speaking of Quidditch Harry, what do you think of Gryffindor's chances taking the Quidditch Cup this year?" asked Dumbledore.

And so the rest of the meal's conversation went with the subject Quidditch. It was a subject of interest to all. It was of keen interest to Harry and Professor McGonagall; Harry being the Gryffindor seeker and McGonagall being the Head of Gryffindor House.

The afternoon was spent reading and with several games of wizarding chess ensued after that. Part way through their third game Harry started thinking about the next dose of praesangium. Without realizing he spoke out loud, "I'm not taking another one."

"Neither am I." They both looked at each other raising an eyebrow, slowly reaching for their wands.

It was a tense moment about mid afternoon when Dobby and Winky tried to convince Harry and Hermione to take another dose of praesangium. The two of them held their noses with one hand and held a wand in the other. Finally Dobby and Winky admitted that Madam Pomfrey had given them instructions that Harry and Hermione were well enough to leave when they threatened magic to not take another dose. Harry and Hermione were delighted. Hermione was going home and Harry was going to spend the rest of the summer at the Weasley's. They went to the Owlery to send messages and make arrangements for the following morning. They only had some mild thumping in their heads from their haste in getting to the Owlery and back. They were both excited that life was going to get back to normal. Well, as normal as could be expected in the wizarding world.