Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

*****Thanks again to Liss for beta reading. Your time is appreciated :) .******

***********

***********

***********

"Let me see if I understand your argument. . . . It is inevitable that Voldemort will come to power - therefore, if a person wants to be anyone at all they will join with him now or face being inconsequential later, or perhaps dead."

The boy with cold gray eyes winced when she said the dark lord's name, but he no longer tried persuading her not to say it.

"That's not how I would put it, but it sums it up."

"So, you are saying it is better to be at the beck and call of some tyrant than to take hold of your own destiny.

"Our world is falling apart because of muggle impurity. It must come to a stop, and this is the only foreseeable way."

"Is it really? Or is this the lie needed to gather those who fear and do not understand muggles, and also for those with malice who lust for harm. It is nothing more than an excuse to persecute."

"You're a pureblood, a royal pureblood. Of all people I thought you would understand."

"I understand that Voldemort is a liar. Perhaps you are not aware of Voldemort's dirty little secret, he is not a pureblood - his father was a muggle by the name of Tom Riddle."

She studied his reaction, how he paused before answering, and the look in his eyes.

"He has transformed himself. He is now pureblood. He is still the heir of Salazar Slytherin."

"I have told you before Draco Malfoy that I will not tolerate lies. You did not know this fact about Voldemort. Further, your ill conceived argument in his defense falls flat because if the Dark Lord can transform himself to something pureblood then others can do the same. Since you have chose to lie, I do not believe we have anything further to talk about."

Tadra rose from the bench they were sitting on and turned to walk away. Draco's jaw tightened at being caught in such a small lie. Only recently had he began to suspect such a thing of the Dark Lord's past, and he wasn't sure he believed Tadra, even now. But he had orders and couldn't let her walk away without more effort.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know, and I'm not sure I believe you. Don't leave. I'm willing to take you up on your offer to exchange information."

"Very well. You may ask first."

Tadra returned to the bench and liked the unease in Draco's posture.

"Do you know anything about Dumbledore's Order?"

"I do and it's not called Dumbledore's Order."

"That's not an answer. You didn't tell me anything."

"You are not listening. I did, in fact, give you an answer."

Draco looked at Tadra intently before he understood.

"Are you a member of this Order?"

"I can't say."

Draco raised an eyebrow and started to ask another question.

"It is now my turn to ask two questions since I have answered two of yours. First, what is your favorite color?"

"My what? Are you serious? I don't have a favorite color, if that's all you want to know you've wasted a question," Draco answered irritably but noticed the look Tadra gave him. "It's not really a color," he said with some defiance as Tadra waited patiently. "Okay, I like silver. I like how it's reflective. I even like mirrors. Does that answer your question?"

"Yes. Was it so difficult to answer?"

Draco looked at her in amazement. He was baffled by her blatant lack of interest in what he knew of the Dark Lord and the Death Eaters.

**********

*****

Ron picked up some overturned chairs as he helped Harry and Hermione straighten up the room of requirement.

"We had a good turnout this evening and Ginny produced her first corporeal patronus, a lion of all things. Just like Fred and George told me once, big things can come in small packages," Harry chuckled at the memory.

"I'm not sure it was her first time. Do you ever get the feeling she's holding back? That she's more capable than what she lets on? Remember that chair she conjured for Ron in the Hospital Wing?"

Harry and Ron paused at Hermione's suggestion.

"Yeah, the same thing crossed my mind the past two meetings," Harry mused putting away some pillows that were used to help cushion the fall of those who were stunned in practice.

"Well, now that you mention it . . . Oh well, she's always been a bit like that - not letting on that she knows more than she does. Take for example how she learned to fly so well, by sneaking out on mum's broom."

Harry went back to picking up more pillows as Hermione looked around the now empty room, save for the three of them, and had a thought to some long unfinished business. As a diversion she picked up a pillow and fluffed it making some dust fly and coughed while discreetly casting a Colloportus spell on the door. Her coughing covered the squelching sound as the door sealed shut. She then made her way closer to Ron.

"I wonder what Harry would do if he didn't have any wands to defend himself," Hermione whispered.

Ron immediately took the bait.

"Accio wands!" Ron deftly caught Harry's wands and savored the look of surprise on Harry's face. "You're unarmed mate. What now? Any suggestion of how to handle such fix at our next meeting?"

Harry grinned as he caught a look from Hermione.

"Well?" Ron asked with mock impatience.

"Maybe something like this."

Harry opened his hands and caught three wands whizzing through the air.

Ron stood there with empty hands and his mouth gaping open. Hermione couldn't help herself and burst out laughing.

"What the? How did you do that? I had your wands."

"That's right. You had my wands. So that leaves only one explanation."

"You've got a third wand," Ron eyed Harry suspiciously.

Harry shook his head and Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Ron, do you remember those private lessons Harry had with Dumbledore last year?"

"Yeah, so that means you can . . . No, that's impossible." Ron looked deep in thought. "Dumbledore knows a way to permanently shield from a summoning spell," Ron said looking convinced of his own reasoning.

"It means Harry can do controlled wandless magic."

Ron laughed and then suddenly looked severe.

"You're kidding right?"

Harry tossed the three wands in the air and they hovered, began spinning and moving in circles. After a several seconds one wand went to Ron and the other two returned to Harry. Ron still looked unconvinced at what his two friends were telling him.

"What do I have to do to prove I don't have a third wand? Go starkers and conjure some flowers?"

"Ooooo," Hermione cooed.

Harry raised an eyebrow at Hermione.

"Sorry, my bad," she said trying not to grin.

The next half hour was spent discussing the need for secrecy about Harry's ability and soothing Ron's feelings for not being told sooner.

"That's absolutely amazing. Ha, Voldemort doesn't stand a chance."

"I don't know about that," Hermione cautioned. "He's had a lot more time to lean the Dark Arts than anyone alive and he's even survived a near death experience when he tried to kill Harry as a baby. Besides if all it took was wandless magic to defeat him Dumbledore could have already done the job."

Ron furrowed his brow.

"Yeah, you're right we have to keep doing what we're doing - learning as much magic as possible. Still, it's a bit of relief. Now I feel like you've got a chance against him, mate."

"I don't know whether to take that as an insult or a compliment."

"A compliment, a compliment. Let's call it an evening. Oh, almost forgot to tell you. I saw Tiny today."

"One of the hazards of being Hagrid's part-time teaching assistant? Good to see you haven't lost any limbs yet."

"Yeah, should have heard Grawp try to talk. He can almost complete a sentence," Ron said with a touch of sarcasm and then imitated Grawp. "Harid Awp brohers,."

"Sounds like Grawp understands he and Hagrid are brothers. That's probably pretty good for a giant."

"Hagrid should really send him home. There's a great deal of potential trouble for both of them if the Ministry finds out there's a giant in the forbidden forest."

"Not to mention how upset the centaurs are," Harry added.

"I agree, but you should hear how Hagrid frets over Grawp being so small for a giant. I think he's really concerned one of the other giants might kill him."

Ron had exposed Hagrid's reluctance to send his half-brother away and conversation came to an almost awkward halt. They all knew it would be better for everyone if Grawp was no longer staying in the forbidden forest but they knew how hard Hagrid would take it if the very thing Ron mention occurred.

"I've heard rumor Malfoy has been hanging around Tadra," Ron said attempting to break the silence.

"Really?"

Hermione furrowed her brow at Ron and then gave Harry an anxious look.

"You've known about this?"

"I've heard."

**********

*****

As seen through the conjured ceiling of the Great Hall t was late in the day and clouds were gathering. There were not many students left in the Great Hall for dinner, but there was a certain group that always met together at the Gryffindor table every Friday. The reason they were late this particular day was a first time experience to snow for a girl from the desert. Tadra was delighted and bubbled with conversation.

"Conjured snow is not the same as the real thing. Thank you all for indulging me. Snowball fights with wands is great sport. Perhaps next time we could divide into teams. And speaking of teams it was a good game between Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw last Saturday. I wish Hogwarts held more matches during the term. I do very much enjoy playing. You are not still upset at our strategy against you, Ron?"

"Not anymore. We've come up with a strategy of our own," Ron managed to say between shoveling food in his mouth.

Tadra relished competition and her eyes sparkled with excitement.

"Most excellent. May I ask what it is?"

"You can ask," Ginny answered with a light air from across the table.

"That's right you can ask, but the only thing you'll get for an answer is that it won't do you any good to gang up on me anymore. In fact, ganging up on the keeper will only work against you."

"Why is that, Ron?"

Ron started to open his mouth to answer, but Ginny kicked him under the table.

"You're a sneaky one Tadra," Ron groaned and winced as he rubbed his shin.

"You have been quiet, my brother. These past five minutes you have only poked a fork at your dinner."

"Could I talk with you later Tadra?" Harry responded.

Tadra noticed the concern in Harry's voice and Hermione's anxious look.

"We could discuss it now if it concerns Draco Malfoy."

"Yes, it does."

"When it comes to dangerous conflicts it is wise to know your enemy. Would you not agree, my brother?"

"I've known Malfoy far longer than you have," Harry pointed out. "He's dangerous."

"And I am not? Can you honestly say you know what drives Draco Malfoy. It would have been far better for him if he had never known his father. Even though his father is alive, he has never known the love of a father. To what lengths would a son go to win the approval of his father, to quench that thirst for a father's love? Have you ever thought of Draco Malfoy in such terms, my brother?"

Harry had never thought of Malfoy as something other than an enemy. Malfoy was not completely evil, but still more than a spoiled rich wizard - a human being. Harry looked through the plate in front of him with a clenched fist on the table and a fork hanging limply from his other hand.

"He's still dangerous. Like you say, there's no telling what he might do."

"Please trust me my brother."

Tadra put her hand on Harry's fist and the image of a fiery phoenix appeared in his mind. A slow smile spread across his face as he mentally returned the image.

"I think I can do that, but I still don't like it. Be careful."

"We're your friends Tadra," Hermione said with concern.

"More than friends," Tadra smiled and extended her hand to Hermione and then Ron who each smiled broadly in turn.

"And you, Ginny Weasley. I very much appreciate all that you have told me."

Hands extended across the table but Ginny jerked her hand back in surprise and then blushed at the looks they gave her.

"I - I was just surprised is all. No point in keeping it a secret any longer."

A brief exchange and all were aware Ginny was now a member of the Order. Ron was the most surprised and nearly choked on a mouthful of food.

"Ron, close your mouth. No one wants to see how much mashed potatoes you can stuff in there."

*****

On the way back to Gryffindor Tower Ron said he would catch up with them later in the common room. Ron grinned and winked as he headed toward a group of whispering and giggling fifth year girls who were apparently anticipating his arrival.

"I wish Ron weren't so thick. Luna really likes him but he prefers the attention of a group of giggling airheads," Ginny said with irritation.

"She does?" Harry said surprised and stopped abruptly pulling at Hermione's hand. Airhead had been Harry's first impression of Luna, but after the way she handled herself during the battle at the Ministry of Magic he thought no such thing.

"Of course she does. Hasn't it been obvious?" Hermione asked.

"Boys," Ginny said with exasperation. "They're so oblivious. I'm headed back to the common room but I'm sure you two will take the long way there."

With a bittersweet smile Ginny went down the corridor without looking back.

"Know a dark corridor or two?" Harry asked looking into Hermione's chocolate brown eyes.

"I'm sure I could find one," she replied feeling the anticipation of a kiss begin to grow.

"Potter. Could I have a word with you."

The voice set Harry on edge and he resisted the urge to reach for his wand. It was surprising to see Malfoy alone, looking uneasy. and fidgeting with both hands visibly exposed. It was completely out of character for him to not be calm, giving a cold stare, and with one hand in a pocket clutching a wand.

"What do you want?" Harry asked suspiciously.

Malfoy glanced at Hermione.

"A word in private."

"Whatever you have to say, you can say in front of Hermione. Now what do you want?"

Malfoy looked utterly annoyed which pleased Harry immensely.

"I would prefer in private."

Harry said nothing, giving Malfoy his answer. Malfoy clenched his jaw and swore under his breath before straining the words out.

"I would like to take Tadra to Hogsmeade. She said I had to ask her brother for permission."

Hermione's hand tightened and something inside Harry yearned to scream at Malfoy, 'No! Hell No!'. Instead Harry stood there with intense satisfaction and watched Malfoy squirm. Harry stood in silence until Malfoy was about to turn and walk away.

"Tadra can go to Hogsmeade with whomever she chooses. I do not approve, but you have my permission."

The look of shock on Malfoy's face was priceless. It was obvious he had never believed Harry would give permission. Harry and Hermione left Malfoy to clear his head while they made their way to the fourth floor. Hermione checked her map to make sure no one was near and they slipped behind a mirror and into a secret passageway. They both knew it didn't go very far because it was caved in but it was at farthest point candles lit up at their approach and revealed a comfortable red and gold love seat Harry had conjured. It had become their regular little getaway because of the convenience and the fact that no one would use this passage, not even the Headmaster. This one was real and not a fake cave in as the entrance to the Headmaster's Sanctum.

Harry sat down heavily and Hermione joined him as he put his arm around her. Hermione leaned into him and rested her head on his chest.

"Are you alright?" she asked. "I know you wanted to tell him no."

"I wanted to tell him more than that. I wanted to tell him where to go and where he could put it. But Tadra asked me to trust her."

Hermione leaned back and looked into his eyes.

"Is there something you're not telling me?" he asked.

Hermione looked away confirming his question.

"What is it?"

"Ginny is convinced that Malfoy is a Death Eater. She has no proof, but she doesn't think we should expose him just yet. She also told Tadra."

"So the three of you cooked up a plan to extract information on the Death Eaters through Malfoy?"

"No, that was Tadra's idea. I was against it because I was fairly sure you'd be upset."

"Yeah, you're right about that."

Harry shifted uncomfortably as a feeling began to grow within. Hermione instinctively held him tight.

"No Harry, anger is not the answer."

Emerald green eyes locked with chocolate brown as they searched the depths of each other's soul, and after a long pause they smiled.

"I don't feel complete without you."

"Nor I without you," she whispered before they embraced and soon the dead end passageway was illuminated with more than candle light.

*****

**********

*****

With less than three weeks before Christmas Holiday Harry along with most of Hogwarts was looking forward to it. The weather was brisk, Tadra would say cold, and the past few days had turned sunny and dry after heavy winds the weekend before. Professor Moody had decided to take the entire class outside of the castle.

"What would you do," Moody barked, "if you were betrayed and walked into a trap. How would you handle the situation?"

Hermione raised her hand and Moody nodded.

"Disapparate as quickly as possible."

"Smart lass, and right you are. But what if you don't have that option? What if you have no choice but to face your enemy. How would you handle yourself?"

"Avoid, conceal, misdirect, and attack. The best defense is a strong offense," Tadra said with conviction.

"The articles of combat! That's absolutely correct Miss Potter. Avoid being hit with a spell, Conceal yourself and your actions as much as possible, Misdirect the enemy's attention, and above all . . . Attack! Attack as if your life depends on it, because it probably will. And it's not enough to just recite something out of a book. You need to experience what it might be like. Now I know this is advanced but I think this class is up to the challenge. Let's take some two on one."

They divided up into groups of three and took turns being the target of two opponents. With so much commotion and activity of spells being cast it was obvious why Moody had taken them all outside. Those who could handle two opponents were matched up with three and then four. Neville did well with two but was stunned when taking on three. Hermione, Tadra, and Malfoy lost out when they went to four. Ron took on five, was quickly deprived of his wand because of overconfidence, hit with multiple Impediment Curses and wrapped with a mound of ropes and chains. But he kept breaking the chains and snapping the ropes almost as fast as they could conjure them - it was called a draw. Harry was the only one to take on five opponents without being hit by a single spell.

"It's getting close to the end of class and Potter is the only one who's managed to avoid a stunning spell. How many opponents do you think you can take on?"

Harry shrugged modestly.

"Volunteers to gang up on Potter. We're about out of time so be quick about it."

The Gryffindor's declined, and all the Slytherins except Tadra volunteered. A couple of Ravenclaws and a Hufflepuff combined with the Slytherins totaled twelve. Malfoy looked positively delighted and took charge dispersing the group around Harry.

"It's not fair," Hermione protested quietly.

"Yeah," Ron chuckled, "they don't stand a chance."

Harry stood tense on brown dead grass that had been lush and green at the beginning of term. He had a look of steely determination as a semicircle of eight formed around him, with four blocking a retreat. Hermione watched with concern as a brisk breeze whipped at their cloaks and robes. Professor Moody raised his wand to give the report that would start everything in motion. Hermione saw a brief glow of neon blue from under Harry's collar and she gasped knowing that something was not right.

With a flash and a bang wands were drawn and spells cast. Harry moved sideways with incredible speed dodging the first volley of spells cast at him, but not before stunning two opponents. It looked hopeless as the next volley shot out at him but Harry split in two and went opposite directions. After ten stunning spells went through Harry's wind blown cloak it was apparent Harry had tossed off his cloak as a diversion and then disappeared.

"He's got an invisibility cloak!" Malfoy barked as two more opponents dropped.

"Watch the grass! Watch the grass!" Malfoy yelled and sure enough there was a sudden ripple through the dead grass and they began firing stunning spells wildly. One Slytherin dropped from crossfire but three dropped from stunning spells originating from seemingly thin air.

"Huddle up! Back to back!" Malfoy practically screamed in frustration to the other three who were left standing. "You and you, shoot a stream of water all around, we'll stun him."

A plan to expose Harry's invisibility but it was too little two late, three more toppled over to the grass stunned. Draco cast spells wildly making the rest of the observing class scramble to make distance. Draco suddenly launched through the air and landed hard on the ground with Harry on top of him. Draco was disarmed but Harry grabbed him by the front of his robes and lifted him up with one hand and leaned in close.

"Harm Tadra and you'll have me to deal with," Harry said through gritted teeth.

Draco smirked but his face quickly changed to fear and then terror as a low guttural, inhuman growl came from Harry that sent half the class running and shrieking back toward the castle. Others yelped and ran several meters, but Ron, Tadra, and Neville, stood their ground. Hermione ran toward Harry who was ignoring everything except Malfoy.

"Potter!" Professor Moody barked.

Harry jerked his head up but looked mean like a predator interrupted in the process of killing his prey.

"Harry!" Hermione yelled.

Harry looked at Hermione questioningly and his entire demeanor changed. He looked back at a terrified Malfoy whom he was still clutching and was suddenly appalled. He let Malfoy drop to the ground and scramble away.

"Harry are you alright?" Hermione asked but didn't really wait for an answer. She wrapped her arms around him and held him.

"Miss Potter, Weasley, Longbottom, and Granger. Rennervate your stunned classmates. As soon as you're done class is dismissed. Harry Potter a word."

Reluctantly Hermione let go and Harry made his way over to Professor Moody.

"What was that about Potter?"

"I - I honestly don't know."

"Whatever it was, it made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end and sent half the class running back to the castle. Was it your intention to scare Malfoy bad enough to wet himself?"

"He did?" Harry glanced at Moody's magical eye. "Oh."

Harry felt a mixture of glee and shame. He had no idea how he had managed to growl like that but realizing it had such a devastating effect on everyone made him feel self-conscious.

"Do you realize what you've done? You've let the enemy know how dramatically your powers have increased. I'll guarantee that Malfoy will pass along what he saw here today. You need to be on your guard. I'll take responsibility this time though. I merely wanted to give everyone some experience and give you a bit of a push. I had no idea you could move so fast. It's not natural even for a wizard. Weasley's strength isn't natural either but explainable as giants in the family tree. I doubt that Author and Molly appreciate the rumors but they'll survive. I assume you left your invisibility cloak in your trunk. But since Malfoy thinks you used it just now, it would be best if you let him keep thinking that. There are very few wizards or witches that can disappear without an invisibility cloak."

"I didn't know I could do that - I just did it. I wasn't intentionally showing off I was just trying to do the best I could. I'll try to be more careful."

"Well Potter, seems there's more to you than what meets even my eye. I'll pass this along to Dumbledore. In the meantime I would let rumor circulate that you've mastered a spell that mimics a werewolf growl."

As Harry walked back to the castle his friends joined him. Ron and Neville were jovial at how scared Malfoy was but Tadra and Hermione were quiet until Tadra asked a question just as they reached the huge oak front doors.

"Did you desire to kill him, my brother," Tadra asked with concern.

"No," Harry answered quickly. "I only meant to scare him, but . . ."

As they entered the castle Hermione took opportunity to discreetly talk to Tadra.

"What are you thinking?"

"The curse of the beast. I will inquire of my father. He may not respond to me but he will respond to the Headmaster."

"I'll ask the Eyes of Isis and I'll get permission to check the restricted section of the library. Do you think it's serious?"

"No, I do not think so. But I must admit I know little of this."

What little Tadra did know was nothing more than a children's tale of the desert about a brave wizard who once carried the mark of the beast. The wizard fought in many battles and was said to be fearsome and vicious. However, there came a time of peace and his lust for violence could not be quenched. Rather than take innocent lives he took the final walk into the desert. Tadra would not worry Hermione unnecessarily with a story meant for the young to instill respect for the dangers of the Jaharu.

A few hours later Harry was being pestered by Tim and Jim Bennet, along with others, to show them the rumored werewolf growl spell. But of course, it wasn't a spell and Harry declined. He wasn't sure how he had done it in the first place and even if he could he wasn't sure he would. Moody's warning was still ringing in his head and he continued to wrestle with mixed feelings every time he remembered Malfoy's terrified face.

*****

**********

*****

It was just past curfew and no one except Prefects, and Hogwarts teachers, were allowed outside their respective houses. A girl of small build and fiery red hair put away a piece of flesh-colored string that had been hanging from her ear. From what she had just heard, she knew there was going to be trouble in Slytherin Dungeon tonight. She made her way through the corridors looking for those who could help. She spied a fellow fifth year Prefect from Hufflepuff.

"Jeffry, have you seen Hermione?"

"Seventh floor."

"Thanks Jeffry. Oh… and by the way, there might be trouble on some of the lower floors…if you know what I mean."

"Oh, alright . . . I think I'll make my way down toward the dungeons."

Ginny gave a short nod and began climbing stairs to the seventh floor, at a quickened pace. Finally, she found a girl with lots of curly brown hair and a Prefect badge on her school robe. It was odd that she was leaning against the corridor wall with her eyes closed and a strange smile on her face. Hearing Ginny's steps her eyes popped open and she straightened quickly almost pushing at the air in front of her.

"Tsk, you are so transparent."

"No I'm not," Hermione said straightening the collar of her robe and then her hair. "Harry, maybe," she added under her breath.

"Again? People will become suspicious or at least wonder how he gets away with it. But after today, they'll assume he uses an invisibility cloak. Dumbledore might be forced to take it away from him. You should really be more discreet."

"I suppose I should. I guess he's been a bad influence on me."

"Hey!" said a familiar voice without a visible body.

"Shhhh," said Hermione and Ginny together.

"Hermione we need to find Ron. Parkinson and her little group have it in for Tadra and they intend to spring it tonight."

"Tonight? Do you think it's in retaliation to Harry growling at Malfoy today? I guess it doesn't matter. Ron's down the other end of the hall."

They took off at a brisk pace.

"If Tadra had been sorted into any other house she wouldn't have this problem, and we wouldn't either."

"The week she stayed with me I tried to tell her she did have some choice in the matter. Harry learned that when he chose not to be in Slytherin. But Tadra was insistent that the hat had to make its own decision, and having seen her people and how difficult life is for them I could guess where she would likely be sorted."

"I hear what you're saying but it's the Slytherin girls that have made her life here at Hogwarts so awful. Parkinson and her so-called friends have behaved like a nasty pack of harpies. They don't miss an opportunity for a snide insult or a chance to spread vicious rumors. If anyone they can influence tries to be nice to her, they put a stop to it. And then Malfoy showed an interest in her and it got a lot worse from there."

"So what did you hear?"

Hermione and Ginny caught sight of Ron at the far end of a hallway and waved for him to come over. Ron joined them briefly scanning the thin air around Hermione before Ginny explained.

"Parkinson and her little group have figured out how to get past the locking spell on Tadra's trunk and they intend to destroy something precious to her. They're going to burn her carpet."

Hermione, Ron and something invisible gasped.

"Shady toe-rag lot of harpies!" Ron exclaimed.

"They'll be expelled!"

"That's no different that destroying someone's broom," growled the voice.

"If the lot of them claim it was an accident . . .," Ginny shrugged.

*****

Curiosity and rumors often go hand-in-hand and tend to spread quickly - especially at Hogwarts. A whispering group of Prefects was gathering in the lower corridors. Conspicuously absent were Parkinson and Malfoy. The other four Prefects from Slytherin House began to be vocal that there was nothing going to happen, and that everyone should return to their normal rounds. If they didn't, they would send for the Head Boy and Girl to make them.

The bickering stopped as a blank stone wall revealed a hidden door that opened with a rush of wind and sand making everyone turn away. Slytherin students began pouring out of the door coughing and shaking the sand out of their hair and clothes. The door remained open revealing a dimly lit common room of green décor and was currently very dusty from all the sand. There were muffled shouts and the sound of spells being cast somewhere further within.

"Stay here, don't go in there," Hermione whispered softly but desperately to no one.

There was a scream closer to the entrance and several Prefects moved to go in, but the Slytherin Prefects jumped ahead.

"No one but Slytherin Prefects! We'll handle it."

However, they jumped back with their wands drawn as several hairy creatures emerged wearing Slytherin robes. Hermione had a mental flash of muggle cavemen, but in this case, it was cavewomen with large teeth, grotesque faces, and every bit of exposed skin was covered in coarse hair. It was a sight that made them gasp and then just as quickly they snickered as the girls tried to hide their faces and whine about wanting to go to the hospital wing.

"Impressive, I haven't seen a curse like that before," Malfoy said with a hint of a snicker.

Hermione snapped her head and stared at Malfoy.

"What's it to you Granger? You didn't seriously think I was going to get in the middle of that," Malfoy swung his chin in the direction of the Slytherin entrance.

"Come on Malfoy; let's get to the bottom of it. And where's Pansy?"

"None of the three mini-trolls whined my name, so I believe she's still inside somewhere," he said with a smirk.

The Slytherin Prefects decided that none of their fellow Slytherins were to venture back in until they gave the all clear. The entrance dissolved into a blank stone wall and a confusion of chatter arose as the Slytherins tried to tell each other what they had heard and seen. By Hermione's judgment, they didn't know much except that Pansy and Tadra were trying to curse each other. Peeves emerged from the stone wall cackling with glee.

"Oh my, you should see what she's done."

A chorus of requests rose from the crowd asking Peeves to tell more, which delighted him immensely.

"Tadra Potter is such a rotter, changed her friends to so much fodder," he giggled and cackled while floating above them basking in the chaos of the moment.

But the requests for Peeves to tell more died off quickly as an unmistakable silhouette walked stiffly toward the group. Peeves recognized who it was as well, stuck out his tongue making rude noises before floating back through a wall.

"Pray tell what is going on in my own house."

No one who knew the professor dared volunteer an answer. A few first year Slytherins began to speak but were quickly stifled by their peers. His black eyes flashed in the torchlight as he surveyed the dusty group. His lip curled when he saw Gryffindor Prefects but his gaze finally rested on a seventh year Hufflepuff Prefect.

"There's been a commotion in Slytherin House professor."

"That is obvious," Snape quipped.

"The Slytherin Prefects went inside to find out the cause. They told everyone else to stay out until they give the all clear."

"Finally, some useful information. Now that I am here, there is no need for other house Prefects in the dungeons. Return to your normal rounds. "

Just as Snape said these words the hidden door reappeared and two iguana-sized lizards scurried out followed by three pigs. The crowd gasped and gawked as they parted to make way. The lizards and pigs were black through the mid sections but light colored on their legs and heads. There was also the telltale sign of the Hogwarts emblem on the black fur of the pigs just under their necks. It was obvious someone had done human transfigurations. The lizards flicked their forked tongues and the pigs grunted with embarrassment. Whispered questions erupted as to who could do such transfigurations and which of their fellow Slytherins was who.

But the spectacle wasn't over. There was something large and dark coming toward the door. A dull clanking accompanied the movement. The sound of hooves on stone was unmistakable. Because of the coloring, there was no question that this was another human transfiguration. There was also no question as to whom this was because of the large letters painted on its hide in flashing green ink, 'PANSY'.

Amongst the stifled laughter, snickering, and finger pointing a subdued Tadra emerged from the door accompanied by five Slytherin Prefects. They marched her up to Professor Snape who glared down at Tadra. A seventh year Prefect handed Snape Tadra's metallic wand.

"This is your handiwork?"

"Yes," Tadra answered dully.

Snape's expression was difficult to read. For a brief instant Hermione thought Snape had smirked, but decided it was her imagination.

"Are you going to untransfigure Professor?" asked the seventh year Prefect.

Snape surveyed the transfigured lot and then looked down at Tadra.

"I assume these are not permanent transfigurations."

"None are permanent."

Snape abruptly barked commands.

"Slytherin Prefects, supervise the magical cleaning of Slytherin House. When I return, I expect it to be spotless - do not clean the corridor. Tadra Beladasan, my office. The rest of the Prefects will escort these ladies to the hospital wing - the transfiguration will wear off in time."

There was an instant protest from those afflicted. The lizards jerked their heads up and down, the pigs squealed, and Pansy let out a reverberating "Moooooooooo!"

*****

The next morning Hogwarts was buzzing with rumors of what happened in Slytherin dungeon. Relatively few were upset that Tadra had transfigured her hateful fellow Slytherins. Most were impressed with her magical ability.

"Where's Hermione?"

"She and Ginny are already at breakfast, along with the rest of the girls - lots to gossip this morning."

Ron rolled his eyes before Harry continued.

"Two weeks detention. I think Snape's getting soft. If it had been me it would have been two months."

"I disagree mate. He would have tried to have you expelled, like he usually does."

"Still, it's not going to be any fun cleaning the dungeon corridors without magic."

"You know that's bloody right. At least Hermione and Ginny have a hand cream for chapped hands. And on the brighter side of things it means she'll miss going to Hogsmeade with Malfoy."

"Absolutely right. I could hardly stand the thought of Malfoy with her. Still, I think that was the funniest thing I've ever seen - Tadra transfigured Pansy into a cow. I don't know that I've ever laughed so hard."

They both laughed remembering the sight.

"Good thing you put a silencing spell on yourself. It would've been a muck to get caught inside Slytherin dungeon."

Both grinning they made their way to the Great Hall for breakfast.

"The polishing touch was the flashing green paint making sure everyone knew it was Pansy," Ron said grinning.

"Thanks," I couldn't resist.

"You did that? Awesome! Wish I could have seen Tadra and Pansy having a go at each other. Tell me again."

Harry went into an animated description of the scene he came upon invisibly; Tadra and Pansy were squared away against each other. Pansy mocked Tadra for having bad aim with her wand, but looked unnerved when Tadra informed her she had purposely saved her for last.

Harry would retell the story many times in the next two weeks before the end term and the start of Christmas Holiday. The Bennet brothers constantly pestered Tadra to teach them her troll curse and Peeves could be seen following certain Slytherin girls squealing like a pig or following Pansy and mooing.

*****

**********

*****

Tadra was pleased at how the term had ended as she packed her trunk. The confrontation with Pansy and her cohorts had gained her respect within Slytherin house and the two weeks detention had been worth the price. She was looking forward to spending Christmas with her adopted brother and her friends. She closed the trunk and looked at the letters T. B. Potter.

'How strange,' she thought. 'This could have been my married name if circumstances had been different'

In her heart, she knew this was the correct path, but she also longed to see her father and brothers - especially Azizi. She knew it had likely been hardest on him.

She put on her cloak and headed up to the Great Hall to await the carriages that would take them to the train station. Just as she entered the Great Hall, an owl landed on her shoulder with a letter. Her heart leapt when she recognized the penmanship of Azizi.

She read with haste the short letter telling her of trivial things from home and how much she was missed. Then she read it again much more slowly. There was a code within the letter. It was not a magical code. The Beladasan family code takes many years to master. Subtle curves and slants embedded within the letters and words have meaning. Azizi's skill was lacking and made the message difficult to interpret. She made out the word 'Christmas' and 'father'. A pang of fear shot through her when she made out the word 'Hogsmeade'.

"Tadra, what's wrong?" Hermione asked.

There was a great deal of excitement, chatter and activity while everyone waited for the carriages to take them home for Christmas Holiday. Harry and Hermione leaned in close to hear what she had to say.

Tadra clutched the letter tightly and read the coded message.

'I will spend the Christmas holiday with you, against father's wishes. I will arrive in Hogsmeade at 10:00 am today.'

"I fear for Azizi. What should we do?"

"First, we're not getting on the train. We'll head straight to Dumbledore's office. Harry, could you tell Dobby not to load our trunks? On second thought…"

Hermione lifted her wand.

"No, Hermione. A messenger spell will attract attention. We need to do this quickly, we need to -"

Harry acted without thinking. It didn't matter whether it was possible or not. Somewhere deep within him he knew it would work. He leaned close to Hermione as if to make sure she heard and understood what he had to say above the noise of the crowd.