Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

"Indeed." Dumbledore raised an eyebrow. "Might I have a word with you in private Miss Potter? And I would also like a word with Harry and his guardians. Hermione, I would like you to stay as well. Miss Potter and I shall return shortly."

Harry shook his head in disbelief at the prospect of taking Tadra with him to the Dursley's. And he thought it curious that Dumbledore looked more in admiration than surprise when Tadra made her decision to stay with him.

The party was over and the warm feeling of having celebrated with friends was now mixed with shock. How could this possibly work out. Uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia could barely tolerate him let alone another magical person in their house. Harry strongly expressed his misgivings to those remaining in the room. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley along with Remus and Tonks also had their doubts but urged Harry to have an open mind on the situation and to consider how he might feel in Tadra's place. Hermione was the only one left who agreed whole heartedly with Harry. He was sure Ron and Ginny would have agreed with him too except that they had been told to wait at a table in the main dining room of the Leaky.

Tadra stepped through the door in tears.

"What's wrong?" Harry asked concerned.

"Mr. Dumbledore . . . I mean Professor . . . he - he has corresponded with . . . my father. My father . . . does not wish me to speak to him or to return home."

Tadra practically through herself at Harry and sobbed. Harry didn't know what to say, he felt a tug at his heart for Tadra. It had to be far worse to have a living parent, a father, and have them not want to see or speak to you than to have never known your parents as he had. He wondered if Tadra had understood this might happen when she gave up her marriage to him. And if she had considered it - what would have made her do it anyway? A recurring dream?

"Tadra my dear, are you alright?" Dumbledore asked as he entered the room.

"I - I am fine," Tadra said drying her face and taking a seat beside Harry.

"Very well. Tadra has decided she would prefer to stay with her adopted brother and after hearing her reasons I am inclined to agree."

"What? You agree?" Turning to Tadra, Harry asked, "Do you really understand what you're in for? They're not very nice people, they're really not."

"It is my wish to understand." There was a hint of a plea in Tadra's voice.

"Tadra's desire is to understand her newly adopted brother. Your aunt and uncle are obligated to keep their house open to you, Harry, until you are seventeen. So, if they, or you, object - that will be the end of it. I will urge your aunt and uncle to give it a try, but do you object Harry?"

"Me? I uh, well, no. I don't object, I just don't think it's something Tadra should subject herself to. It's bad enough I have to put up with them."

"Remember Harry, they are the only family you have left."

"Not anymore," Harry said with enthusiasm giving Tadra a one armed hug.

"Yes, you are quite correct and now for the reason I asked Hermione to stay. Assuming the Dursley's agree to let Tadra stay, would your parents be willing to retrieve Tadra should the Dursley's have a change of heart?"

"Of course."

"Bear in mind that this could be any time, day or night."

"Not a problem." Hermione turned to Tadra. "Harry has my phone number. All you have to do is call." Hermione saw the confusion on Tadra's face. "Er, sorry. Harry knows how to use the phone to call me."

"Now to Harry's guardians. You have heard the plan so far. Any discussion?"

"I think we need another way for Harry and Tadra to contact the rest of us," said Mrs. Weasley. "I don't trust this muggle phony thing."

"From my investigation of muggle devices a telephone uses electricity. And from David Granger I've learned that electricity is not always reliable," added Mr. Weasley.

"Don't you have to be in the house to answer the phone Hermione? I seem to recall James trying to use a telephone to call Lily once."

"That could present a problem, will someone be in your house all the time?" Tonks asked.

"We have an answerphone, but I think you're right. We want to be able to leave right away if needed."

"answerphone? This is something new? How does it work?" Mr. Weasley inquired.

"Not now dear."

"Oh, quite right."

"If they were allowed to do magic, a messenger spell would be best," Remus lamented. "That reminds me, are they still exempt from the Restriction of Underage Sorcery?"

"They are. Mainly do to some poor clerical work at the Ministry. Kingsley has kept me apprised of the matter." Dumbledore smiled knowingly. "However Tadra is not exempt. And as for Harry, Hermione and Ron, I think it prudent that they leave the use of magic, outside of Hogwarts, as a last resort. Once the Ministry is aware of the mistake they will correct it."

"I know my parents will allow me to do a messenger spell to contact one of you as soon as Harry calls, but that doesn't help Harry or Tadra contact me. Maybe Tadra could take the Knight Bus or a taxi if she can't reach us right away. Wait, I know. I could talk my dad into getting me a mobile, a Nokia 232, would be nice. Harry could get one too." Hermione saw the look on Mr. Weasley's face. "It's a mobile phone, a wireless telephone."

"Really? Wireless? How fascinating."

Mrs. Weasley gave her husband a nudge before he could ask any more questions.

▪▪▪

Why did this ride to his aunt and uncle's always seem so long? Actually it took little more than an hour. Maybe it was because he always dreaded it so much. This morning's dread was a bit more intense than usual. He had been so sure his aunt and uncle would never willingly let another magical person in their house. It had to be Dumbledore's persuasion and the fact Tadra had offered to do any household chore asked of her. It just didn't set well with him that his newly adopted sister was going to be treated like a maid. And the topper was they had to arrive in different taxis. Aunt Petunia wanted Harry to arrive at six and Tadra to arrive at seven. The way his aunt obsessed over appearances was revolting and he wondered what difference it truly made whether he and Tadra arrived together or not.

Harry looked out the window of the Taxi and across the Thames River on the left. They'd be going mainly west now and was glad the driver had finally figured out he wasn't in a talkative mood. Sunday had been spent shopping with Tadra, Hermione, and Tonks. Ginny had wanted to go along as well but Mrs. Weasley vetoed the idea as too much exposure to muggles. The compromise was that Mrs. Weasley and Ginny would check out all the muggle clothes Tadra had bought when they returned to the Leaky. Harry had haphazardly figured they would spend half a day shopping for clothes. Was he ever wrong. It took all day. Harry paying for Tadra's clothes seemed to distress her and several times through the day she mentioned she had every intention to pay him back. But he wouldn't hear of it and truly didn't mind. Somehow it seemed like the family thing to do.

The dim light of a cloudy morning added to his gloomy mood as they passed Osterley Park. The interesting thing he had learned about yesterday was that Tadra's carpet had a trap door. The magical compartment within was a fraction the size of the carpet they all rode returning from Egypt but it held all of her belongings comfortably. But Harry knew a blatantly magical carpet would never be allowed into the Dursley house. So, they bought Tadra a standard trunk from Diagon Alley, similar to the one he had himself. There was no denying how pleased he was when Tadra had the trunk labled T. B. Potter. Tadra getting her trunk reminded him of first trip to Diagon Alley with Hagrid and his first ever birthday gift - Hedwig. He was glad he had let Hedwig loose Sunday night and told her to meet him at the Dursley's this evening.

Harry looked to his left again, Heathrow Airport.

'It won't be long now,' he thought to himself.

▪▪▪

Aunt Petunia opened the door.

"Leave your things at the foot of the stairs and come into the living room."

Harry left his trunk and Hedwig's empty cage at the foot of the stairs and found his aunt and uncle waiting for him in the living room.

"Sit," Uncle Vernon said impatiently. "I want to know how you managed to adopt someone, as your sister. Your aunt and I are not obligated to take in whatever stray, dog, cat, owl, or orphan you may come across. Just because you call someone your sister does not make them family."

"As if either of you know much about family," Harry fumed indignantly remembering quite clearly how he had always been treated. And he was family by blood, not just by name..

Petunia's jaw tightened and her nostrils flared giving her a more horse-like appearance than normal.

"I will not tolerate any cheek from you," Vernon growled. "Further more, that will be the last of it or your so called sister can take that taxi back to wherever it came from. Is that understood?" uncle Vernon said through clenched teeth and puffed up mustache. Harry watched as color began to rise in uncle Vernon's thick neck, just above the collar of his neatly pressed work shirt.

"Yes sir." Harry straightened to attention. He knew he would have to apologize even though it galled him to do it. "Aunt Petunia, uncle Vernon. I apologize."

"And?" uncle Vernon asked. Evidently he wanted more.

"I should be more grateful for all that you've done for me." Harry's stomach gave an involuntary turn, but it seemed to be what his aunt and uncle wanted to hear.

"Quite right you should. Now I asked you a question. Wait just a sec'." Vernon reached into his pocket and took out a pen and notepad as though he were going to record whatever Harry told him. But the old fountain pen his uncle was using looked familiar. Harry's eyes bulged and he swallowed hard. It was the discerning pen he had given his uncle last summer! At the time he had thought it was funny to bait his uncle into taking a magical gift. Now it had come back to bite him in the arse. There would be no white lies with that thing. And the one item he had no intention of telling his aunt and uncle was the fact that he had been married to Tadra for a few hours. It wasn't something he thought he could explain. He'd have to chose he answers carefully.

"She had no where else to go."

"So, she is an orphan. And your lot just take in anyone that comes along and call them family?" Vernon asked incredulous, as he glanced down to see black ink indicating Harry was telling the truth knowing that if Harry had been telling a lie it would have been red ink.

"I suppose she's pretty," Petunia implied knowingly.

"Ah, I see. Yes, is she pretty then?" His aunt and uncle narrowed their eyes at him. Vernon held his pen to the ready, waiting for Harry's answer. Harry felt he would rather be interrogated by the Minister of Magic again.

"Uh, mmm, yes, she's very pretty. But that's not how it is. It's not the reason."

"Well, what is the reason?"

Harry knew he would have to answer in separate statements. Each one in itself would be true.

"We were in a bit of a tight spot."

"We had a run in with Death Eaters."

The look on Petunia's face changed when Harry said Death Eaters.

"Tadra offered to help us out of a situation."

"Ah ha, But only if she were your sister. And she had no where else to go."

Uncle Vernon leapt to the conclusion Harry was hoping for. Vernon looked deep in thought twisting his jaw around and making the ends of his mustache alternate up and down. Harry figured the thinking process must be painful, from the look of it.

"Well, If it's still alright with you dear," Vernon said to Petunia.

"As long as she does what's needed and follows the rules of the house."

"Absolutely right." Vernon turned on Harry with renewed vigor. "We will not be as tolerant with this girl as we have been with you. Further, we expect you to behave in better fashion than you have in the past or her stay will be very short."

The matter seemed settled and Petunia left the room but Vernon stepped up to Harry indicating he had something more to say.

"I'll tolerate no funny business in this house," he said in a low voice. "You know perfectly well what I mean." Uncle Vernon left Harry pondering what his uncle had said.

'Funny business? Surely he meant magic but he knows neither Tadra nor I can do underage magic. Or . . .' Harry's face reddened in embarrassment realizing what his uncle had meant. .

"Get your stuff put away and fix breakfast Harry. Be quick about it. Your uncle has to leave for work soon," aunt Petunia's voice from the dining room brought him out of his embarrassed indignation.

Harry found Dudley sitting on the top step still in his pajamas as he hefted his trunk and empty cage up the stairwell. Dudley's hair was a mess, and had evidently dragged himself out of bed to listen in.

"Looks like you'll have to be nice to me if you want her to stay. So, she's pretty?"

Briefly Harry had the urge to summon a snide comeback as he stood in the stairwell with the weight of his trunk pulling at him from behind. But after all that he had been through . . . It seemed time to try and let go of something. Dudley began to lose confidence when Harry didn't respond. His smug grin began to fall.

"Hello Dudley. Have you been working out or something?"

And it was a serious question. Harry hadn't been gone that long. Or maybe he was now looking through more mature eyes, with more understanding, instead of holding onto a bitter childhood.

"That's right," Dudley said puffing up and flexing a thick arm.

"In answer to your question she's very pretty and her name is Tadra - Tadra Potter. But she's a witch. You know, one of my lot. And if you don't mind, your mum wants me to fix breakfast."

Looking confused Dudley let Harry by. Dudley was still sitting on the top step as Harry started back down.

"Potter?"

"She's adopted."

"But she's full grown. You can't adopt someone full grown. Why would you do that?"

"It seemed like the thing to do at the time."

"Harry, get a move on," came Petunia's voice from below.

Harry shrugged at Dudley and started down.

"How did you get a tan like that?"

"Walked through a desert on foot. I wouldn't recommend it as the best way to get a tan though."

Dudley looked confused again, but when Harry reached the bottom of the steps Dudley informed him how many eggs he wanted for breakfast and how he wanted them cooked. It seemed Dudley was no longer on a diet.

Tadra arrived promptly at seven and made a good first impression with an easy smile and courteous attitude. She wore a tan skirt of modest length and light yellow short-sleeve blouse with her long black hair braided neatly in back. Besides being dressed well and having a pleasant charm, Harry was fairly sure being pretty helped win over his aunt and uncle. It was certainly a factor in his cousin Dudley's behavior. At breakfast Dudley kept knocking things over and had little to say. Harry's biggest clue was Dudley missing his mouth several times while eating. And Harry knew that food and Dudley's mouth never missed each other.

Petunia wasted no time in putting Tadra to work after a long talk about the rules of the house and what was expected of her.

Harry cleaned up the kitchen after breakfast and was instructed to take Tadra's trunk up to the spare bedroom. Dudley followed Harry upstairs to play computer games in his room, not offering once to help with Tadra's trunk.

"By the way Dudley, how's that scooter you got for your birthday?"

"Broke. It wasn't built very well. Dad and mum said I could get a car for my seventeenth birthday."

The rest of the rainy day was uneventful except for aunt Petunia's brief scolding of Tadra watching a heavy afternoon rain and not attending to her chores.

The next day a package arrived in the post for Harry, a mobile from Hermione.

It was a Nokia 232, dark grey with black buttons. Harry was impressed at the novelty and Tadra was amazed muggles could make such a thing without magic. Luckily no one else was home at the time, they took a short break from the long list of things Petunia had found for them to do and tried out the new phone. Hermione had left her mobile number on a note inside the box. Harry showed Tadra how it worked as he punched in Hermione's number.

"Harry?" an excited voice answered after a couple of rings.

"I can't believe how good it is to hear your voice Hermione. It doesn't seem right not to see you or hear you at least once a day."

"I know what you mean. I'm really glad to be home with mum, dad and Miranda. But it's not the same." Hermione paused and said in a hushed voice. "I have a confession to make. I woke up this morning reaching out for your hand."

Harry's heart skipped a beat and he smiled without thinking.

"I thought I was the only one who did that. I've been doing that off and on since last summer."

"I miss you."

"I miss you too."

There was a pause between them and Harry noticed Tadra grinning at him with a delighted smile as Hermione broke the silence.

"Anyway, how's Tadra doing with the Dursley's?"

"She's the darling of the moment. Aunt Petunia keeps us both busy and they basically treat me the same, as though they can barely tolerate to acknowledge my existence. But Tadra really knows how to handle them. And Dudley seems quite taken by her." Harry suddenly laughed. "Tadra made a face like she was going to be sick. Anyway, why don't I let Tadra have a go at using the phone."

Tadra had no trouble using the mobile and soon began talking with Hermione describing Petunia as fixated on cleanliness and beyond meticulous, Dudley as a large spoiled brat, and the lot of them striving to feel superior to others because of their own shortcomings. She said the trick was to let them feel in complete control, and superior. She said it was not an environment she would care to be in for any length of time let alone grow up in and mentioned to Hermione she had seen the cupboard under the stairwell. She gave Harry a look of deep sympathy. Soon Tadra and Hermione were talking about the start of term, Tadra's upcoming OWL exam, and clothes.

'Girl talk,' Harry thought to himself. And left Tadra to talk to Hermione as he went back to cleaning the garage and then to work in the back yard.

"I know I have not been a sister to Harry for very long but I feel I can say with confidence that he loves you very much."

There was a pause on the other end.

"I love him too. But it's been complicated. So much has happened to him. And there's something . . ."

"That my brother is not telling you?"

"Yes! But how do you know? Do you know what it is?"

"I do not know. It was something he told me at the oasis. That no one could love him until. And I do not know what until means. I am sorry I do not know, Hermione. I feel that the two of you are destined for one another."

The words "destined for one another" echoed in Hermione's heart long after the call ended.

▪▪▪

The next few days Harry found himself writing letters to Hermione, Remus, Ron, and Hermione again. It was mainly because talking on the mobile was not being tolerated by the Dursley's very well. And using a mobile meant being charged by the minute, which was also a deterrent. Of course when Dudley had seen the mobile he wanted one too. And as always uncle Vernon and Aunt Petunia gave in and promised to get him one the next day.

Harry had something else on his mind this evening as he wrote a reply letter to Hermione.

Dear Hermione,

I know you're upset, but we both know it's the safest thing that can be done right now. And since Dumbledore is the one who suggested it, it's probably a good idea. It only makes sense since the Order will be stretched thin when things get worse and they won't always have someone to watch your parents house. And frankly I wouldn't trust the Ministry to do a proper job even if they took over again. And your parents shouldn't worry about a loss of income. You can count on me if they need anything and that goes for you as well. And with Dumbledore's help I know you can handle a Fidelius Charm.

Tadra and I went to visit Mrs. Figg yesterday. It was really sad. She kept apologizing for all the years she couldn't let my visits be pleasant. And she still couldn't remember that she was an Auror or taught at Hogwarts. I never really understood what had happened to her. I noticed she was taking a potion by prescription from a Mediwizard. Do you suppose she had a stroke after that last bout with Death Eaters? Anyway, the best she could manage from her wand was to send out sparks. I promised to help her work with her wand which seemed weird considering she was once our professor.

By the way, Uncle Vernon landed a big account and aunt Petunia has decided to throw a garden party in celebration. And guess who is going to serve the guests? Me and Tadra. Aunt Petunia even went so far as to rent us outfits to wear. Dudley gets to invite his little gang to the party so he can look important to someone too.

Is there any way we can meet this next week? I wish I had my apparition license. Tadra said apparition is mostly focus and determination. And why don't we all plan on spending a few days at the Leaky Cauldron before we leave on the Hogwarts express.

Love,

Harry

Harry looked his letter over. He wasn't quibbling with himself over how to sign his letters to Hermione anymore, but he still held on to a fear of letting it be a full blown relationship. He desperately wanted to protect her. With effort he quashed a small voice that kept trying to say he was being unfair and that he should tell her the prophesy.

He also knew he desperately wanted some alone time with her. Ever since the ceremony under the Sphinx he had found himself wanting to be near her more than ever. But all they had managed to do since the ceremony was run for their lives and they had never truly been alone. Telling her he missed her was true, but what he left out was how being away from her burned within, almost painful. He mentally counted the number of times they had kissed and thought longingly of the time on top of the Astronomy tower when it had rained on them. But wasn't another kiss like that supposed to be their test? Did he dare lose his heart like that when he wanted to protect her? Somehow he knew his heart was already lost.

▪▪▪

'So far so good,' Harry thought to himself. The Dursley's had gone all out with this party and it had gone well so far. At least it had gone well for the Dursley's. Harry tugged at the collar of his shirt on the way back to the kitchen for more hors d'oeuvres, some kind of caviar on a cracker. Harry had privately smirked at overhearing one of the Dursley's guests commenting that Vernon and Petunia had no clue what good caviar was.

Tadra was currently serving drinks in her charcoal colored maid outfit trimmed in white lace. Harry didn't care for the way some of the older gentlemen looked at Tadra when they thought their wives weren't watching. Dudley and his spiffed up underlings kept mainly to the house.

Earlier in the evening Harry's dark suit was a bit warm but as the sun dropped it cooled off quickly - almost too quickly. And it was making Harry uneasy. But Petunia kept him so busy he couldn't dwell on unpleasant thoughts.

Harry stopped abruptly on his way to the kitchen. There was something about Dudley's little gang that didn't look right.

"Where's Dudley?"

"He's around," said Dennis grinning as the rest of the group snickered.

They shifted uneasily in the hallway as if blocking the path to go upstairs.

"What's going on? Is something going on upstairs."

"Bugger off. It's none o' yer business," said Piers trying to look intimidating.

"Yeah, your supposed to be servin' guests," quipped Malcolm.

"Best get on with it then, hadn't ya," suggested Gordon.

The hair on the back of Harry's neck stood up. Something was definitely going on. Harry glanced out the doorway to the backyard. He wasn't sure why, but he specifically looked for Tadra and didn't see her.

▪▪▪

In the darkened upstairs hallway Dudley had been waiting for Tadra to come out of the bathroom.

"Yes, Mr. Dursley?" Tadra asked.

But Dudley didn't immediately answer. He moved toward Tadra and extended is large arms against the wall on either side of her.

"I thought I said you could call me Dudley."

Tadra could smell liquor on Dudley's breath and being this close to him repulsed her.

"I believe you have been drinking Mr. Dursley. I suggest you remove your arms from the wall and let me return to the guests. Your mother will notice my absence."

"Not before a little kiss. Maybe something more if you like. Or maybe if you don't like. I don't care either way."

"Just remember you were warned." Tadra's voice was hard and ominous. Her dark on dark eyes shown brightly with menacing promise even in the dim hallway. Dudley's cocky smile faltered.

▪▪▪

Harry felt a surge of power beginning to grow within him and spoke slowly with threat in his voice.

"You will let me by or so help me . . ."

The looks on their faces became questioning as to what Harry thought he was going to do when there were four of them. Quickly though, their mocking looks turned to fear at whatever was beginning to emanate from Harry's presence.

"Where's Tadra and why aren't you attending to our guests?" Petunia snapped at Harry.

Petunia looked from Harry to Dudley's friends and opened her mouth to say something when there was the sound of a scuffle upstairs that ended with a tremendous thud. It sounded as if something might drop right through the ceiling from the floor above. Dudley's gang jumped back to the sides of the hallway instinctively. Harry however, took off like a shot heading upstairs taking several steps at a time as he heard a crash and something breaking.

Harry's mouth dropped open in surprise at the sight of Dudley laying in a fetal position on the floor clutching at his groin in agony with pieces of a broken vase scattered around his head. Harry was starting to feel an urge to burst out laughing when Petunia pushed him aside.

"What have you done to my Dudley you horrible girl!" Petunia screeched kneeling down next to Dudley. "Dudleykins, where does it hurt? What has she done to you?" she asked her son in a shaking consoling voice.

"Your son has consumed alcohol and attempted to grope me. As for his current physical state, I am sure he will live."

"You horrible girl! You witch! How dare you throw yourself at my son and then turn on him like an animal. I want you out of this house! This very instant!"

There was something about the shrillness of aunt Petunia's voice and the way she held up clenched fists at Tadra that made Harry think of the portrait of Mrs. Black.

Tadra was enraged and stiffened at being accused of coming on to Dudley. It was all she could take. She marched into the spare bedroom and retrieved her trunk.

"I will not stay in this house a second longer!" Tadra shouted at Petunia then serenely turned to Harry in a calm voice. "Harry, could I use your mobile? Thank you."

Aunt Petunia kept alternately screeching at Tadra and questioning her groaning Dudley on the floor while Tadra talked on the mobile.

"You are already driving about with your father? It will be of no trouble to come here? That is most excellent. The sooner the better. I thank you Hermione, you and your father, for your assistance. I would have preferred apparition but I will manage the wait."

"That outfit you're wearing is rented. You'll take it off right now!"

Tadra gave a shudder and her dark eyes narrowed.

"As you wish."

Harry had never seen anyone shed their muggle clothes so fast in all his life. Tadra threw her outfit at a stunned and open mouthed Petunia. In nothing but her white cotton underwear Tadra grabbed her trunk and with a yank that sent it sideways into Dudley's head, making him yelp, strode down the steps with her trunk clunking loudly on the steps behind her. Dudley's wide-eyed gang had been watching the entire scene unfold from the stairs and quickly scrambled to get out of her way. A few curious guests had congregated at the foot of the stairs and jumped back in shock as the scantily clad Tadra made her way out the front door.

A mortified Petunia was immediately working on damage control telling Harry to make sure Tadra was out of the house, to lock the front door and make sure no one else came into the house from the back yard. Dudley lay on the floor whimpering as a cold sweat formed on his forehead. Petunia was trying to coax him up from the floor and to make an appearance in the back yard to assure everyone nothing was wrong while Harry went out to check on Tadra.

Harry locked the front door behind him to keep Dudley's gang from openly gawking at Tadra who was now sitting contentedly on her trunk in the middle of the sidewalk. Actually Tadra's underwear was less revealing than some of the women in swimsuits Harry had seen on the Dursley's telly. Still, somewhere in the back of Harry's mind he was thankful Tadra had underwear on this time as opposed to his experience at the oasis. Harry knew there would be hell to pay for Tadra's behavior. He also knew she was more than justified. All in all, a very funny scene from his perspective.

"Erm, cold?" Harry asked with a twisted smile.

"Now that my temper is beginning to cool, yes." Tadra grinned at him, set Harry's mobile down and opened her trunk. After finding and putting on the outfit she had arrived in, Tadra turned to Harry.

"I am sorry my brother, I apologize for the trouble I may have caused you."

"I dunno about that. Who says I'm going to stay? I think I'll fetch my trunk and we can both go to the Grangers."

"No, my brother. There has been protection placed on this house for you. Regardless of your relation who dwell here it is still a place of refuge. Please stay, if you can."

"Oh, alright, I'll give it a go. I had best head around back then."

Harry heard a small noise coming from the mobile Tadra had set down. Tadra looked surprised and picked it up.

"Hermione? I did not realize this was still on. You have heard all that has transpired? Did I remove my clothes and throw them at Harry's aunt? - Yes."

Harry heard Hermione's hysterical laughter from the phone and decided he would leave Tadra to talk with her.

When he got to the back yard it was obvious aunt Petunia was not going to be able to cover up the spectacle in the house. The few guests that had witnessed Tadra's departure, and had seen Dudley's physical state, had pieced together what happened. They were now in the process of not so discreetly passing along the information to others. Evidently Petunia had practically dragged Dudley to make a an appearance. And it was a pitiful appearance as Dudley rocked back and forth from one thick leg to the other. Dudley's eyes looked almost crossed and Harry fought off the urge to laugh by grabbing a tray of fresh drinks. He started to make his way through the guests when an unusually cold breeze washed over him. It wasn't normal, and gave him a shudder down his spine and to the pit of his stomach. Without warning his scar had seared with pain and his head felt like he had been hit with a club. The tray of drinks dropped to the ground breaking as he clutched his forehead.

A glowing silvery white otter appeared in front of Harry.

"Harry, something's wrong with Tadra," Hermione's voice spoke with urgency from her patronus.

One of the Dursley's guests, a woman wearing pearls in a blue dress, screamed and pointed at Hermione's messenger patronus just as it disappeared. Harry didn't care who had seen. Ignoring the pain from his scar he sprinted around to the front of the house and stopped. He saw Tadra's trunk and his mobile on the sidewalk, no Tadra. Tadra was not to be seen but the sucking hissing sound of a Dementor was unmistakable. Harry reached for his wand as he spied it floating a meter above the ground across the street. He didn't cast a patronus charm as the Dementor was now retreating and he was more concerned about finding Tadra.

Looking toward the house he saw Tadra collapsed in front of the door. With a mere thought the front door unlocked and swung open. He scooped up Tadra and brought her into the house as the door slammed shut behind him. He had a brief surge of relief that she was still warm to the touch and breathing, she had only fainted. Harry wondered if it was her first experience with a Dementor.

"What is she doing back in this house? And what's wrong with her?"

Harry didn't have time to answer his aunt just as another wave of cold washed over him and sound of screams erupted from the back yard. Harry quickly and lay Tadra on the floor and ran to the back door with Petunia. Guests were either fainting or wandering aimlessly, overcome with terror. The early evening sky was pitch black and starless. Half a dozen Dementors were closing in on the back yard and it looked like more were coming.

The pain from his scar hit him again making him sway and almost lose his balance. A high pitched cruel laugh echoed from inside his head and he knew without a doubt Voldemort was behind the Dementors gathering here.

Petunia leaned against the doorjamb sliding down to her knees. It was the most horrible sight she had ever seen, a living nightmare. Dark hooded figures floating toward her back yard. Her guests were fainting and there amongst them was Vernon trying to pick up Dudley who had already collapsed on the grass.

"Stay in the house with Tadra," Harry said resolutely and stepped into the back yard aiming his wand.

"Expecto Patronum!"

A silvery white stag leapt from Harry's wand illuminating the back yard in a ghostly white glow. Harry commanded the stag to circle the back yard and the Dementors retreated as the stag advanced but they closed in on the other end of the yard.

'How many are there?' he thought. 'I need to get everyone into the house. I know we'll all be safe in the house. I need to concentrate. Keep my patronus circling the yard. Maybe some wandless magic to levitate people into the house. I need to concentrate.'

Again his scar seared with pain and he let out a yell refusing to lose concentration on his patronus.

"Can't let the muggle scum die can you Potter. You cold retreat to the safety of your precious house but you won't. And I was counting on it. The Dementors will not kill you Potter. They've been instructed to bring you to me. But as for the rest -."

Voldemort's laughter rang in his head like a claxon in rhythm with the increased pain from his scar.

There were so many of them. Draining every ounce of happiness away. Harry was beginning to hear faraway screams from a night long ago. The screaming in his head was faint but growing in intensity. He was finding it harder to focus his thoughts. His scar hurt so much his vision was starting to blur. His mother's pleading screams were getting louder in his head. He was beginning to hear his father's shouts as well. It seemed like there were too many to handle and retreating into the house with all these people exposed was not an option. He couldn't lose hope, he couldn't. His stag dimmed and momentarily lost form.

There was a sudden pop beside him.

"Expecto Patronum!" Hermione yelled, and a silvery white otter leapt from the end of her wand. With solid grey eyes her face was awash in the glow from the patronus giving her an ominous appearance to match the steeled determination on her face.

Hermione's voice and the sight of her apparating beside him was a beacon of hope filing his soul. His stag shown more brilliant and more solid as the pain from his scar began to fade. But horror shot through him at the sight of three hooded Dementor's floating near Dudley. The smaller of the three had dropped it's hood and held Dudley's face with decaying hands ready to feed - to give the Dementor's kiss.

"No! Over there! Get them!" Harry directed his stag. It lowered it's horns and charged tearing the robes of two and sending them fleeing. The smaller one was impaled by a horn and dropped to the ground.

Hermione had her hands full trying to keep the Dementors away from the Dursley's guests. Her otter was scurrying, leaping, and biting at any Dementor that came close.

Another pop and Mad Eye apparated casting his own patronus, a bear. A half dozen more pops followed with Ministry wizards and witches casting silvery mist at the Dementors. Mrs. Figg rounded the corner of the house with red sparks sputtering out the end of her wand.

The Dementors left as quickly as they came. The early evening sky returned to normal. A rich glow of aqua blue in the west fading away to a hazy gray directly overhead to hints of stars in the far east. Harry and Hermione immediately held each other tightly as Obliviators prepared to place memory charms on the Dursley's guests.

"Harry, I was so worried. I had to apparate. I suppose I'll be in trouble now," she whispered.

"Don't worry about that, I'm just glad you came when you did."

Harry looked into to dark brown eyes and held her, smelling her hair and feeling the tremble in her tight embrace.

"Voldemort was behind the Dementor attack," he whispered to her and then quickly explained what had happened. They both agreed the Order would need to be informed right away. One of the Ministry wizards approached Harry and Hermione and offered them some chocolate which they readily accepted.

"Your aunt, uncle, and cousin have chose to be exempt from any memory charms. The guests will only remember that they've had a wonderful time at the party. And I'm afraid there's one more thing. I believe your neighbor, Mrs. Figg is in a bad way."

Harry felt numb as he and Hermione approached Moody who had conjured a sofa in the back yard for Mrs. Figg. Moody knelt next to her projecting his wooden leg at an odd angle. Harry could hear her talking to Moody in a strained voice.

"I remember everything Alastor, I remember it all."

"I'm glad you do Arabella," Moody said with a tenderness Harry had never heard from him before.

Upon seeing Harry and Hermione Mrs. Figg tried to explain with an occasional wince and short gasp.

"It's my heart Harry. I've had a bad heart for years and it's why I had to give up being an Auror and volunteered to be your neighbor when the opportunity arose. It was just to help keep an eye on things. Please don't be sad. I've lived a good life. I have no regrets."

Gone. Mrs. Figg was gone, an indirect casualty of war. But a casualty nonetheless.

Tadra had regained consciousness, badly shaken, and said she remembered the day they brought her mother's body back from the desert. Harry truly empathized as she left with Hermione and Mr. Granger. Mr. Granger looked shaken as well. Probably from experiencing his daughter disapparate from within the car. No one asked how Hermione got to Privet Drive and she didn't offer an explanation. The Dursley guests were none the wiser and seemed quite pleased with the party and complimented on the extraordinarily good chocolate that had been provided.

It seemed odd to Harry that when Hermione asked if he was coming with them that Petunia said he would stay. When everyone was gone Vernon loudly voiced his concern about the safety of his family and suggested in no uncertain terms that Harry should be chucked out on his arse. He also stated that this war going on was none of their concern and he also wondered if the evening's disaster was caused by Harry because he didn't see any of the dementoes that were supposedly in their back yard. The only thing he saw was Harry and the others parading white glowing things about the yard.

Vernon began to feel around his jacket for a particular pen ready to interrogate Harry again.

"No Vernon, I believe we are all caught up in this. I remember Lily trying to tell me about mum and dad's deaths and I refused to listen."

"Mrs. Figg is dead," Harry said numbly.

"What? The batty old woman down the street?" Vernon blustered. "You've done it this time boy. You've got someone killed. The police will be involved now. But maybe you'll go to jail and we'll finally be rid of you."

Harry felt a stabbing pain of responsibility when Vernon accused him of getting Mrs. Figg killed. If it wasn't for him Voldemort wouldn't have sent Dementors to Privet Drive.

"Was it a Dementor that did it?" aunt Petunia asked tentatively.

"No, she had a bad heart. The stress must have been too much for her."

"Now how would you know she had a bad heart. Maybe it was one of those invisible dementoes," Vernon implied mockingly.

"Mrs. Figg was a witch."

The Dursley's were dumbfounded at this revelation.

"Dementors suck away every happy memory, and every happy feeling leaving you with nothing but the worst experience of your life," Harry explained. "And if given the chance they'll suck out your soul."

Petunia gave a stifled yelp and silence followed.

"I remembered falling out of a tree when I was a young lad," Vernon said slowly. "I was a long way up and when I lost my grip I was sure I was going to die before I hit the ground. Lucky for me I landed in some leaves between a couple of large rocks. Odd thing is I didn't remember until this evening."

"I remembered mum and dad's funeral," Petunia sobbed.

"I remembered being in that snake cage," Dudley mumbled pitifully.

Harry was thunderstruck. 'That was the worst experience of his life?' Harry thought to himself. 'But maybe it was. He's been such a pampered thing all his life'. Harry flushed with embarrassment.

"I - I don't know what to say Dudley. I didn't do it on purpose. It just happened. You believe me don't you?"

Dudley didn't answer. He only gave Harry a sad accusatory look.

"Well, what do you remember then?" uncle Vernon asked.

Harry gave a deep sigh.

"I remember the night mum and dad were murdered by Voldemort. I remember dad shouting at mum to take me and get away just before he was killed. I remember mum screaming for Voldemort not to kill me but she wouldn't get out of the way so he killed her too."

"That's impossible you were only a year old," Vernon said incredulous.

"You remember? You remember Lily? Your mother?" Petunia asked shocked.

"I remember," Harry said with a sad sigh. The pain of the memory etched on his face.

Petunia had an odd look before she finally composed herself.

"We won't talk about this again. And no one goes outside this house tonight."

▪▪

The next week was a strange week with the Dursley's. As usual they didn't say much to him, but his aunt seemed less harsh to him. He wasn't quite sure what to make of it. And on the day he was to leave for the Leaky Cauldron to meet up with Hermione, Ron, and Tadra, he found a small black and white muggle picture of his mother on his bed. His mother couldn't have been more than ten years old in the picture.

▪▪▪

Three days before the Hogwarts Express was to depart Harry arrived at the Leaky Cauldron to find Ron chatting up Tadra at a table. Harry grinned and found himself wondering if Ron had some interest in his sister. He was glad to see them but disappointed Hermione wasn't there yet.. Of course he knew Hermione would show up later, after becoming Secret-Keeper of her family, and then share a room with Tadra at the Leaky.

It turned out Ginny was at Weasleys' Wizard Wheezes and it was no surprise she had also been made a Prefect. They talked about the Dementor attack at the Dursley's and the fact that the Dementor that tried to kiss Dudley was a young one. Dementors breeding was a big problem. Tadra apologized, once again, about not being of any help during the attack just as Ginny arrived and informed Ron that their mum wanted him to be fit for new school robes. Tadra informed Harry that she had passed her exam with eleven OWLs - nine O's, one E, and one A. The E was in Care of Magical Creatures and Harry was amazed to find out the Acceptable was in Divination.

Ginny gave Harry a warm smile before she and Ron left for Madam Malkin's Robes for All Occasions.

"Ginny Weasley likes you my brother."

"She had a crush on me the first year I went to Hogwarts. Although I have to admit I didn't catch on until my fourth year. She's changed since our holiday at the Magusa in Cairo."

"How so?"

"I'm not sure really."

Tadra fidgeted reluctant to say something and then made up her mind to go ahead.

"This past week with the Grangers has been a good experience. And I have learned without doubt that Hermione Granger loves you a great deal. She shared with me your mutual concerns of the side effects from the Breath of Life. It has now been over a year since you and Ron Weasley along with Hermione's parents saved her life. Is not this enough time?"

Harry's mouth opened but nothing came out.

"I have not been your sister for very long but I . . . Would like to ask you something personal. Why can no one love you until? Until this war is over? Life is short my brother. Do not throw away love when it is at your doorstep. Does it truly matter whether she was first your friend? Are you concerned about Ron Weasley? I believe Ron Weasley is a true friend and will understand. And one more thing I feel I must say before I become silent on this matter. Why would I give up a marriage? Because I saw that you loved someone else. That you love Hermione Granger."

Tadra had said it all fairly quickly and now took a deep breath waiting for Harry's response looking concerned at whether she had overstepped. Tadra's dark eyes pleaded for understanding that she only wanted what was best for her adopted brother.

Harry was panic stricken.

"I . . . don't know what to say."

"The truth is usually best my brother."

Harry was so embroiled in self-examination of his feelings he never noticed Tadra's quick glance behind him. If Harry had looked at a mirror on the far wall he would have seen the reflection of a pretty girl with lots of curly hair and chocolate brown eyes walking up behind him. She had stopped short, just within listening distance, when Tadra had told Harry the reason she gave up her marriage to him - that he loved Hermione.

"I love her," Harry acknowledged from the bottom of his heart.

"More, or less, than a year ago?"

"More. I love her more than I know how to put into words. Not a day goes by that I don't think about her."

"I believe she feels the same way about you."

"She shouldn't," Harry said quickly with a touch of panic.

"Is this fair? Is this fair to Hermione that you decide for her? You should tell her your fear. She should decide. You attempt to sacrifice more than yourself by not revealing that which you conceal, my brother. Would you not agree that she should be the one to decide?"

Harry hung his head. It was a truth he had been trying to avoid for far too long. It was an argument he had managed to put off with himself, but now that someone had said it - the truth was undeniable. He gave a heavy sigh.

"I'll tell her tonight," he said without looking up.

When Harry had looked down at the table Hermione quickly backed up several paces and pulled her wand to hide any appearance of crying.

Tadra had seen Hermione stop behind Harry in wide eyed surprise when she told him the reason she had given up her marriage. With peripheral vision she had seen Hermione purse her lips when Harry admitted he loved her more than ever. The tears Hermione shed so easily was confirmation of what Tadra already knew - that they loved each other.

"Hermione, my friend," Tadra said with surprise in her voice. "Has all gone well?"

Harry stood up and turned around so fast his chair nearly fell over.

"Yes, everything is fine," she said automatically embracing Harry and hugging him tightly.

"You're trembling. You're parents, and Miranda?"

"It all worked the way it was supposed to. Everyone is fine. It's just, well . . . sort of sad. I don't know how to say it."

"A disruption of lives, something that shouldn't have needed to be done?" Harry asked still holding her.

"Yeah, something like that."

'Soon, I'll know,' she thought to herself with a mixture of anticipation and dread.