Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

** Temperatures mentioned are supposed to be in Celsius. Anyone figure out what's with the strange name of Tanner's ship? ;) I wanted to try and give a feeling of Cairo in this chapter. I hope I was at least a little successful **

Two and a half days passed easily aboard the Cucurbita Maxima Pi. Harry spent a lot of time on deck soaking up the experience, the sun, the sea, the breeze. Everyone seemed to give him some space and he appreciated it. Hermione spent a lot of time learning about the various parts of a ship, and what its purpose was. Captain Tanner was more than glad to oblige her endless questions. Harry noted how excited she was to learn something new and marveled at her thirst for knowledge and wondered where she managed to put it all in that pretty head of hers. Harry was only mildly interested in sailing but found it unavoidable to learn something as Hermione bubbled to share things like aft, bow, port, stern, and so on.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, like Harry, relaxed and enjoyed themselves, but Fred and George were the life of the trip showing off their apparating abilities all over the ship. Once, they apparated over open water landing in the sea splashing about. But they apparated back on deck, dripping and soaked, before the boat could turn around to get them. It provided a wonderful laugh for Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny. That is, until Fred and George gave menacing grins and everyone scattered like quail.

If they weren't showing off, they were discreetly showing new items they invented for their joke shop. Their mum was still dismayed they hadn't taken on more worthy careers but it was difficult to argue with their success.

Stories, and fine meals cooked by Captain Tanner, were the rule for the evenings. Harry enjoyed listening to ancient stories of pirates, dueling witches and wizards, and sea monsters of the deep. If Harry didn't know better he would have thought Captain Tanner had actually been there and experienced the stories he told.

Of course, the topic of OWLs came up with Ron. He was amazed and proud at getting five OWLs. He confessed he thought he was only going to get three. Harry and Ron both attributed their unexpected success to Hermione, which pleased her immensely. It did however mean that Ron wouldn't be taking NEWT level potions with Harry and Hermione. It made Harry sad to think about this change in the upcoming school year but Ron was undaunted and happy with his five OWLs.

Saturday morning Hermione went up on deck to tell Harry breakfast was ready in the galley. But she also asked him a question.

"When are you going to tell Ron about your wandless magic?"

"I could tell him in private but I thought you'd like to be there when I show off a bit." Harry grinned as Hermione nodded slyly in response. "It's just that Ginny is always around when you are, and Dumbledore told me to try and not tell more than I had to."

They arrived in Port Said later that afternoon. Theseafrontconsisted of handsome colonial houses with tall louvered doorways opening out onto wrought-iron balconies. Port Said had a fine yellow brick lighthouse and Mr. Weasley pointed out the elegant arcaded Canal House that had a mosaic-covered dome

They neared shore after passing clear of large muggle ships and Harry noticed there didn't seem to be a dock or pier to tie up to. But before Harry could venture the question, a floating dock uncurled itself from shore like a carpet made of wooden planks. Captain Tanner began barking orders to his ship as sails dropped and ropes shot out to tie themselves securely to the floating dock.

With a pop, Bill Weasley apparated at the end of the dock carrying a large canvas bag, dressed in Arabic robes sporting a plain headdress held on with a knotted cord with his long red ponytail hanging behind.

"Permission to come aboard."

"State your name and business."

"Bill Weasley, bringing local attire for your passengers." Bill hefted his canvas bag.

"Permission granted."

Ropes and planks uncurled from the ship and rigidly formed a gangway that Bill could walk up. Captain Tanner shook Bill's hand and Harry noticed the captain's free hand was tucked into a pocket - likely clutched to a wand. Bill explained that not only would the clothes he brought help everyone to blend in with the local crowd they would be a lot cooler. The clothes were made of wizarding Egyptian cotton to help make the heat more bearable.

Since Bill already had train tickets from Port Said to Cairo, he and the twins disapparated to the train taking everyone's luggage with them.

Harry wondered about apparating and how it worked.

"Mr. Weasley, I was curious. Why can't a witch or wizard apparate with someone else that doesn't know how to do it yet? Take someone with them, so to speak."

"Well Harry, they can. It's called side-along apparition. The person along side has to hold on tight to the one doing the apparating. Or, as in the case of children, the person doing the apparating holds on tightly to them. Still, apparating is tricky business. It's one thing to take objects such as your clothes and luggage. Besides splinching, you understand what that is right? Part of you gets left behind when you disapparate and the rest of you is where you apparate. Well, you can also get merged. That's when part of you ends up merged with another person. Sticky business if things go wrong and you need the Accidental Magic Reversal Squad or possibly a Mediwizard."

Harry winced at that unpleasant thought and concentrated on the clothes he was wearing. The loose fitting pants and shirt were different, especially the turban wrapped around his head. The whole outfit was very plain and in natural cotton color. Ron had the same kind of turban as Harry's but Mr. Weasley had a headdress and knotted cord like Bill's; otherwise, they were all dressed very much alike.

Mrs. Weasley and the girls wore robes with long headscarves in the same natural cotton color but the hems of their robes, and edges of the scarves, were trimmed in faded colors. Mrs. Weasley's was trimmed in light pink while Hermione's and Ginny's were light blue.

Upon leaving the ship Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had a brief argument about whether to take a taxi or walk. Mrs. Weasley insisted they could walk and still not miss the train, and of course, she won the argument.

Mr. & Mrs. Weasley took the lead while the rest lagged behind.

"What's wrong with taking a taxi?" asked Hermione.

Ron snickered as Ginny explained grinning.

"They don't have any rules about driving down here. It's a sort of free-for-all. Ron and I don't think it's as bad as the Knight Bus but it's still a wild ride."

"I was hoping we could take the wizard highway through the desert," Ron lamented. "Bill said it's full of flying carpets. It goes through the open desert from Port Said to Cairo and is much faster than going by train."

"Mum and dad aren't keen on riding a flying carpet nor with the fact that most of the route is close to the Jaharu Desert," Ginny interjected.

"I've read about the Jaharu Desert. It's one of the few places in the world that magic will not work. It's supposed to be a very dangerous place for witch, wizard or muggle, and is often referred to as the Desert of Death." Ron and Ginny nodded slowly affirming that Hermione was correct.

Harry was amazed that such a place existed. 'No magic?', he thought to himself.

"Is it crossable? Has anyone ever crossed the Jaharu?" Harry asked.

"According to 'Dangerous Places of the Magical World' by Rigor Adventis, no one has ever crossed it."

"Bill said that certain magical Bedouin tribes claim to know how. But he doubts it's true," added Ginny. "By the way, you'll need plenty of knuts."

"What for?" asked Harry just as Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had come to a stop.

"This looks like a good place Arthur," said Molly looking around. "Not a soul in sight."

"I agree. All right everyone. I need to put short-term anti-muggle charms on the lot of you. The train station is awash with muggles looking for baksheesh. It won't help fend off those of magical blood but you'll only need knuts for them." Mr. Weasley saw Harry and Hermione's questioning looks and glanced at Ron and Ginny. "Did you tell them?"

"I was just about to," said Ginny.

"Ah, well, baksheesh is like a form of tipping. Everyone down here is quite helpful but they expect to be tipped."

"Arthur, on with the charming first," urged Mrs. Weasley who was looking around anxiously.

"Oh, yes, quite right." Mr. Weasley raised his wand.

"Can I do my own?" asked Hermione who had taken out her wand.

"An anti-muggle charm? Can you really?" asked Mr. Weasley genuinely impressed. "That's seventh year magic if I'm not mistaken." Harry and Ginny grinned while Ron looked pained.

"Not this time dear, we're a bit pressed."

Hermione tucked her wand away and Mr. Weasley performed anti-muggle charms on all of them.

After walking a little less than an hour they made their way to the train station.

Harry was glad Bill already had tickets. The whole area was packed with people, a mass of moving chaos - people trying to sell things, buy things or just weave their way through the crowd attempting to get to somewhere. Yet, it all seemed to function; a kind of organized mayhem that made Harry wonder if mass confusion was something essential for everyday life in Egypt. Several men, and a boy, greeted them and offered to help with luggage and show them to the train. They looked genuinely disappointed the party had no luggage but were undeterred at showing them to the train which was in plain sight on the other side of the moving crowd. Mrs. Weasley sighed while Arthur looked amused as he gave them all knuts as baksheesh for helping them find the train.

Harry had expected some sort of barrier to walk through to a separate platform and train for witches and wizards. To his surprise it was a single car in the middle of the muggle train. The interior was, as expected, much longer than its outside appearance but the accommodations were not nearly as comfortable or private as the Hogwarts Express. There were rows and rows of tall backed benches that could seat three large people, or one Hagrid, comfortably.

Fred and George were intent upon talking to Bill about his Egyptian business contacts and took a bench further from their parents putting Harry, Hermione and Ron on a bench in-between leaving Ginny to sit with her parents. Ron took the seat nearest the window with Hermione taking up her usual position between them. After the first fifteen minutes of Ginny standing up and talking over the back of their bench, Hermione suggested that Ginny squeeze in next to Harry and join them.

"I wonder how this works, a magical car in the middle of a muggle passenger train?" Hermione asked no one in particular.

"Come on Ron, let's show them," suggested Ginny.

Off they went, toward one end of their magical car. They observed muggles walking up to the doorway and suddenly disappearing. Ron explained that they appeared at the other end completely unaware that anything had happened and that there were two conductors, one at each end of the car. Their job was to make sure no muggle accidentally ended up in the car.

"That's very complex magic," Hermione stated with a frown. "It would be much easier if we had our own train or we were at the very end of the train."

"Bill explained on our first trip to Egypt that the magical community here is more tolerant of muggles and finds these close situations to be funny," said Ginny. "Dad and mum disapprove but that's the way it is here. I suppose that's the reason muggles say Egypt is such a magical place." Ginny grinned and so did everyone else.

Since there was nothing but sand to look at for scenery as the train went down the tracks, conversation turned to all the things they hoped to do and see in Cairo. Ginny and Ron weren't sure but they speculated they would stay at the Brass Lamp. The Brass Lamp was a food and lodging place in the Magusa Adiacentia, or magical neighborhood of Cairo. Ron hoped to see a giant snake being charmed, but Ginny only shuddered at the thought saying it reminded her too much of a Basilisk. They all agreed it would be great to watch Bill breaking curses that guarded some ancient treasure. Hermione suggested checking out the Egyptian Museum. Ron informed her there were two, the muggle museum and the magical museum. Ginny said there was the same setup with touring the Pyramids and the Sphinx, a magical tour and a muggle tour.

Harry glanced out the window just as the sun was setting. There were the same rolling sand dunes but they were crowned by a rich pink-orange after glow that intensified to a raw golden red, like the embers of a dying fire. Harry's absence from the conversation caught everyone's attention and they followed his gaze.

"Beautiful," Hermione murmured.

"That's one thing about Egypt. They have grand sunsets and sunrises. Plus they have great food."

"I swear Ron, all you think about is food."

"I think you're right Hermione," said Ginny suppressing a grin.

Harry chuckled as he came to Ron's aid. "What's wrong with food? Besides Ron thinks about more than just food, he thinks about Quidditch too. And speaking of food it looks like we'll be getting into Cairo late. Will we have supper on the train?"

"They have late supper in Egypt. Sometimes ten o'clock or later," Ron groaned. "Say, let's check out the snack cart."

They arrived in Cairo under the cover of darkness and were greeted by two wizards and a witch at the train station. The two wizards were big and burly looking with an air of vigilance about them as they scanned the crowd around them. The witch was tall and wore a veil showing only steady, focused, dark eyes. Harry saw a tuft of silver-on-black hair that showed fleetingly to the side of her long headscarf. He had the impression she was slim of build though it was difficult to tell with the local attire.

Bill took the initiative and greeted them. He shook hands with the two wizards and bowed politely to the witch. The Egyptian witch then greeted the rest of the party.

"My name is Akila Thema. Accommodations and transportation to the Khan Magusa Adiacentia have been provided. Abasi and Adofo will see to your needs." The two Egyptian wizards bowed.

Her face was hidden leaving only the eyes to go with her voice. To Harry her voice seemed deeper than the average woman's voice but unmistakably female. It was a voice that held authority and made you feel you were in the presence of someone important.

"I look forward to meeting you all again tomorrow evening," bowing to everyone in turn. She paused in front of Harry and Hermione. "It would be wise if you did not use your full name while you are here. Discretion is a necessity for these troubled times, though most are unaware of the dangers not yet upon us." Her steady gaze rested on Hermione for a few seconds before she said farewell leaving the two big men behind.

From all outward appearances, they got into a common taxi. The two Egyptian wizards occupied the front seat while nine people filled the back seat comfortably. Harry had become used to magic being applied to rooms or compartments making them bigger on the inside than they would normally be. Once underway, Hermione asked Bill about their destination.

"I thought the Khan was in reference to Khan Al Khalili a famous muggle market place."

"It is -sort of. Khan Magusa Adiacentia translates to 'The magical neighborhood beside the Khan'. Most of the locals refer to it as the Magusa for short, it's not often referred to by the full name. Have you ever been to Egypt before Hermione?" Hermione shook her head no. "I know Harry hasn't. In fact, I believe this is your first trip abroad."

"It's been grand so far," said Harry smiling broadly.

"Okay, since the three of you have exceptions for the rule against underage magic I should tell you that magic in front of muggles will not be tolerated. You'll be arrested, judged, and have your wand snapped before you know what happened. They are very strict here."

Abasi and Adofo echoed, "Very strict," from the front seat in succession.

"What's the matter Ginny?" asked George.

"It's not fair that I'm the only one not allowed to do magic."

"You can do magic in the presence of your father and myself," Mrs. Weasley reminded her.

"It's not the same," said Ginny with the hint of a pout.

"I've hardly used any magic Ginny," Harry said trying to make her feel better. "I've only used a levitating spell on my trunk."

"More than what I've done," mumbled Ron.

"We can help you out there little bro'," said Fred nudging George.

"A few little charms and spells we know of, that you can try out."

"Absolutely not," huffed Mrs. Weasley.

Mr. Weasley could see this was going a wrong direction and turned to Hermione.

"What magic have you done Hermione?"

"I've done a levitating spell with my trunk like Harry but I also experimented with my hair. Different colors, styles, and I even tried some glowing glitter accent."

A small conversation erupted with Ginny and Mrs. Weasley and Hermione about various spells and charms to change appearance. Harry and Ron looked as though this was the last thing they wanted to talk about. Fred and George had similar looks. It was Bill who came to the rescue clearing his throat to regain everyone's attention.

Bill continued, "As I was saying about magic in Egypt. I would also like to mention that magic may be performed in the open desert even in front of muggles."

Adofo and Abasi grinned nastily as Abasi said, "Yes, and many unexplained things happen in the desert." But Abasi took on a sudden solemn look as he said, "However, the law must be followed."

Adofo and Abasi started reciting in unison. "No harm must befall a muggle, nor will a muggle be placed in harm's way. They are our lesser brothers and must be respected."

Harry couldn't help himself; he already liked the wizards and witches of Egypt. They were mischievous, yet respectful.

"I might also point out that Egyptian anti-muggle charms are some of the best in the world. Take for example the windows of the taxi are charmed to keep muggles from noticing nine people in the back seat."

Mrs. Weasley looked taken aback. "You mean to say -. " She looked deep in thought. "Well, just how many would normally fit in the back seat of a muggle car?"

"Three could be considered crowded mom. Why do you ask?" said Bill suppressing a grin. He seemed to know where this was going.

Mrs. Weasley turned to her husband and narrowed her eyes. "Nothing I guess. I was just recalling a certain Anglia we used to have."

Mr. Weasley fidgeted before saying, "Um, yes, I believe we're almost there."

Adofo turned the taxi down a dark alley only to seemingly drive through the wall at the dead end and they emerged into the Magusa.

The rest of the evening went by quickly after a memorable entrance to the Brass Lamp. Permanently set outside the door of the establishment was an oversized brass lamp. A complex charm and spell had been performed on it making it look as though a genie was hovering out of its spout. The lower body was shimmering mist connected to the spout. The upper was the classic genie with muscular chest, short vest trimmed in elegant gold thread, turban with a large red jewel, and heavy gold armbands. He greeted patrons with flamboyance and expounded upon the wonderful food and comfortable lodging within to passersby and the milling crowd at large.

Adofo and Abasi took care of their luggage as they enjoyed a late evening meal. Harry found himself with Ron, Fred, George and Bill in a room on the third floor with a balcony overlooking the street below. Hermione and Ginny were in a room next to theirs, also with a balcony. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were on the second floor directly below them. With all the travel and the late meal Harry was sleepy long before he thought his excitement at being in Cairo would let him.

Harry woke the next morning to the sound of Ron snoring blissfully and that Bill, Fred and George had already left. A note on a small table explained that Bill had business to do for Dumbledore and that Fred and George were out drumming up business for themselves. Harry decided to step out onto the balcony before waking Ron. The temperature was very pleasant with a slight breeze. Harry guessed it was about twenty-four degrees. Not nearly as warm as when they arrived the night before, maybe seven or eight degrees cooler now.

The first thing that caught Harry's eye were the flying carpets. They were various colors and sizes with the larger ones having bundles and stacks of goods no doubt headed for the bazaar to either trade or set up shop. He noted there were only a few witches or wizards on brooms, most were on flying carpets.

"Good morning Harry," chorused Hermione and Ginny from the next-door balcony. They were both sitting on chairs around a small table.

"Isn't Ron up yet?" asked Hermione.

Harry imitated Ron snoring making both girls laugh and Ginny commenting that Harry mimicked Ron's snore perfectly.

"Is that you Harry?" came Mr. Weasley's voice from below. Harry leaned over to see Mr. and Mrs. Weasley leaning out and looking up.

"Do wake up Ron will you dear? Breakfast will be on its way as soon as you mark down how many."

What looked like a miniature flying carpet, no bigger than his hand, carrying a quill. It levitated itself up to Harry's balcony. There was Arabic writing that Harry couldn't make out.

"I can only read English," he said to the levitating message. The writing shimmered like rippling water before reforming to say 'Please enter the number for breakfast'. Harry used the quill and put down the number two. The order levitated itself away as Harry saw a breakfast tray levitate itself up to Hermione and Ginny's balcony and set itself down on the table. Breakfast looked like bean cakes, eggs, pickles, jams and cheeses with coffee.

Harry leaned over the balcony and said, "He'll be up as soon as I mention food."

The bazaar was the closest and first thing to see. Harry's main interest was in the flying carpets. After looking them over, he could see how they would be downright useful and wondered why the Ministry had banned them. He was constantly badgered to buy one by a merchant every time he stopped to look. Telling them he couldn't fly it back home was no deterrent to the merchants who only lowered the price each time he said no.

They strolled through the bazaar looking at everything from charmed pots and pans that cleaned themselves to potions that were claimed to do almost anything by the merchants selling them. The sound of bartering was a constant chatter all around them.

Eventually they came across a group of anti-muggle charmers each claiming to be expert at their craft. They would either charm an item for you or teach their particular way of charming. As Harry watched a wizard put an anti-muggle charm on a family's flying carpet Hermione was having a conversation with the Weasley's. He got the impression that something was up by the few glances cast his way as he watched the charm work. Hermione was the only one to come back to his side.

"I'm going to take some quick anti-muggle charm lessons. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley are going back to look at the self-cleaning pots and pans. I think Mrs. Weasley wants one. Ron and Ginny are taking off to look at something. They'll all be back here in less than an hour."

Hermione chose a witch who began the lesson with an explanation of the charm.

"Anti-muggle charms are a delicate art. The charm itself has a combination effect on the muggle mind - conscience and subconscious. The conscious mind of the muggle does not see and will ignore what is there. However, the subconscious mind does see and avoids the charmed object. This is why muggles can sometimes have dreams about the magical things of our world. Over the centuries they have written books, of what they call fiction, describing what they think are creations of their own imaginations. The perfect anti-muggle charm will leave no memory on the subconscious and will in theory, last forever. Such perfect charms are very difficult and that is why most must be renewed on a regular basis."

Harry watched as Hermione went through the motions of casting the charm. Her instructor was impressed but said she needed improvement on the subconscious side of the charm. While this was going on, the actions of a young boy about seven or eight years old caught Harry's eye. He looked like every other local boy in native clothes but he also looked scared when he thought no one was looking at him.

"Harry? Nailah, my instructor asked if you would like a lesson."

"Oh, sorry. I think I'll have you teach me Hermione." Nailah looked disappointed. "The lesson you gave Hermione was very informative I learned a lot by watching." Harry gave her several knuts.

"Young master wizard is most generous."

"Is something wrong Harry?"

"I'm not sure. See that little boy over there? I think he's having problems of some sort. Come on." As Harry and Hermione approached him, he looked apprehensive.

"Is something wrong? Can we help you?" Harry asked him.

"N-nothing is wrong. I - I," he stuttered and suddenly burst into tears. "I can't find my mother and father," he sobbed. "I don't know where I am and I don't know what those things are."

Instinctively Harry and Hermione knelt beside him trying not to appear tall and intimidating.

"You poor dear. Surely we can help you find your mother and father. By the way what's your name?" Hermione asked encouragingly.

"Lateef," was all he said, tears still streaming down his face as his small chin quivered.

"My name's Harry and this is Hermione and what things do you mean?"

Lateef pointed at a nearby flying carpet. Harry and Hermione looked at each other and instantly understood the boy must be of muggle parents. The situation and circumstance obviously touched Hermione since she had muggle parents herself. Harry surveyed the nearby crowd hoping to distinguish someone who could help.

"I wonder if there's a local authority."

"We should help him find his mother and father first. If we happen to come across someone from the Egyptian Council of Magic we'll let them handle it from there."

"I don't want anyone else," Lateef pleaded. "I want you to help me find my parents. I trust you." Harry and Hermione nodded in agreement and stood up. Lateef looked less scared and wiped his face with his sleeve. Lateef looked up in the sky once more his gaze following another flying carpet. "Flying carpets," he whispered.

"I thought you didn't know what they were," said Harry amused.

Lateef had a confused look. "How can I -"

"How can you see them and your parents can't?" Hermione finished for him. "It's because they're not magical, you are."

"Lateef . . . you're a wizard," Harry told him. Harry watched the little boy's eyes get big. "Come on, let's find your parents.

Harry and Hermione coaxed Lateef to step through the barrier that looked like a stone wall. Hermione pieced together how he came through to begin with. He had seen a flying carpet and was following it, looking up at the sky, and stepped through the barrier.

"Lateef! Lateef! Where have you been? Your mother and I have been looking everywhere for you." Lateef's mother had no words, she only held him tight.

"I'm sorry momma. I got lost, my friends helped me." He motioned toward Harry and Hermione.

"Thank you, thank you for bringing our son back to us," Lateef's mother said with a quavering voice. "May your paths in life be blessed."

"I'm a wizard," Lateef said enthusiastically. "He told me so."
"What nonsense is this?" his father asked smiling, the relief of having found his son showing all over his face.

"Greetings. I am Nassor Atum," said a slender built man walking up to the group. "My apologies for the intrusion, but it is my job to inform parents of the uniqueness of their child. We have much to discuss." Nassor had a long dark beard and wore one gold earring but before discussing anything further with Lateef's parents he turned to Harry and Hermione. "I extend my thanks for showing kindness to one so young." He bowed slightly and looked at them both expectantly.

"I'm Jane Granger."

Harry followed Hermione's lead.

"I'm James Potter."

"Mr. Potter and Miss Granger, thank you again."

Harry and Hermione left, relieved at not having to explain to Lateef's parents that the boy was a wizard and that a magical world really did exist.

After they reentered the Magusa, Hermione smiled knowingly. "You enjoyed that didn't you? - telling him he was a wizard."

"Yes. Yes I did," Harry said thoughtfully.

They both felt good about helping young Lateef and very relieved at not having to give explanations to his parents. That is likely the reason they didn't notice the difference in how the merchants and people who were in the square were acting. The very same people that had, with great interest, watched Harry and Hermione help the young boy. They gave Harry and Hermione greetings, smiles and bows with approval in their eyes. Not one merchant asked them to buy a single thing as they passed.

It was about mid morning as they met up with the Weasleys. Ron suggested watching a giant snake being charmed by a flute player, but Ginny would have nothing to do with it. They decided to split up and meet back at the Brass Lamp for lunch in the afternoon. Mrs. Weasley and the girls decided to do more shopping while Mr. Weasley went with Harry and Ron to watch the snake charming.

Ron wasn't exaggerating. It was indeed a large snake. It was over half the size of the Basilisk he had managed to kill in the Chamber of Secrets with Fawkes' help. Oddly enough, it didn't bother him as it did Ginny.

The snake was in a large pit surrounded by curved rows of seats that elevated away from the pit. The arrangement gave every seat a good view as a flute player approached the edge of the pit and sat down on a small platform. A large gray snake had been lying docile on the pit floor until the charmer began to play. The large snake coiled itself and slowly rose to a height above the charmer playing the flute. The crowd gasped in awe as the charmer was clearly with in striking distance of the giant reptile. The snake swayed side to side in rhythm to the music being played. The music was enchanting to the human ear but mesmerizing to the giant snake. At one point the charmer played with one hand and reached into a basket, pulled out a dead chicken, and tossed it above the snakes head. The snakes reaction was breathtakingly fast, snatching the carcass with large fangs and swallowing it whole. It was in some sense gruesomely fascinating as the charmer tossed more dead chickens in different directions. The snake never missed.

After the show Ron talked his dad into a few snacks before the afternoon lunch. Harry found himself walking by the snake pit after using a public restroom. The place was empty except for the snake basking in the sun. Harry looked around once more to make sure no one was around.

"Hello, you're rather large for a snake. Do they treat you well here?"

"Yesss, I like the music and they feed me well. I get to eat pigs at night besides the foul when he plays his music. I am not large for my kind. We live in the deep desert but food there is scarce. It is much easier here."

"Good, I'm glad you're happy here."

"It'sss a living. Seldom do I speak with anyone and never a human."
"It's sort of a gift I have, but I have to go."

"Come back anytime."

Harry and Ron were just about to ask Mr. Weasley if they had time to take a ride on a flying carpet before lunch when Bill apparated nearby with a pop.

"Harry, Ron, have you been enjoying the bazaar so far?"

Harry and Ron rattled off what they had done and seen so far expressing immense satisfaction.

"Good, good. Say dad, if I could have a word with you." Bill and Mr. Weasley stepped aside and talked briefly. Mr. Weasley seemed surprised about something as he said out loud.

"You don't say. They do? I don't know . . . I suppose it's alright." Mr. Weasley cast a quick glance at Harry and then said, "Hang on, I'd like to go over this with you again Bill. Ron, Harry would you mind heading back to the Brass Lamp? I'll catch up in a bit."

"So much for the carpet ride before lunch," Harry said to Ron as they walked down the street.

"Do you think we might have enough time to do it ourselves?"

Harry had stopped and was entertaining the thought as he noticed hurried movement in the crowd at the far end of the street. He heard distant shouts and saw flashes of bright red hair bobbing up and down as the commotion and shouting came nearer.

Fred and George came running up to them, odd looks on their faces. The way they came up and grabbed his and Ron's shoulders Harry thought they must have landed a huge account for their business. Fred and George opened their mouths and in unison said.

"Run!"

In that split second of turning to take off with Fred and George, Harry saw two very large men pushing their way through the crowd on the street toward them.

"What did you do?" asked Ron between huffing breaths and dodging through openings in the crowd.

"No time," panted George.

"Need to hide," gasped Fred between breaths.

"Follow me," said Harry taking the lead. He glanced over his shoulder to see everyone was following and thought he saw Abasi magic a water puddle in front of the two big men in pursuit making them briefly lose their footing. He didn't have time to take a second look as he pulled his wand and headed down an alley to a large arched door with a wooden beam across it.

"Wingardium Leviosa, Alohomora," Harry yelled as the beam lifted off and the door unlocked. They all ran through and Harry quickly closed the door behind them.

"What was that warning sign above the door?" Ron asked panting.

"This way," Harry instructed ignoring Ron's question. "They'll be right behind us." Harry ran toward a dark opening in the wall, crouching before plunging in. The rest followed.

"Harry, why are you hissing?" Ron asked fumbling his way toward Harry in the dark with Fred and George beside him.

"Be quiet and get against the wall over here," insisted Harry as he started hissing again.

"It stinks in here," Ron said in a hushed voice wrinkling his nose. Then Ron had a horrible thought. "Sweet Merlin, you don't mean we're -," Ron let out a low groan.

"Everyone be quiet. I think they're coming."

Two large bearded men wearing turbans stood in the circular pit.

"I think they may have gone in here," one said to the other.

"Lunacy, they would all be dead. This is where the giant snake is kept. Didn't you read the sign?"

"You heard what our employer said. He said to bring the two red headed insulters back to him. We should take a look." There was a pause as the two men peered into the darkness.

"Use your wand, it's dark."

But there was no need to illuminate the darkness. A large forked tongue flicked out into the sunlight from the darkness. Both men jumped back yelping exclamations in Arabic and left with great haste.

Silence followed for several minutes. Eventually three red haired boys and one dark haired boy with glasses emerged from the dark hole in the wall. They ran all the way to the Brass Lamp without stopping until they got inside.

"Don't ever do that again Harry," gasped Ron clutching at a stitch in his side and looking pale.

"That was bloody brilliant Harry. Even though I nearly soiled myself when I realized we were in there with a giant snake."

George nodded in agreement with his brother Fred wiping the sweat from his face. "Me too. Wait . . ." George sniffed the air. "It's okay. I only thought I did."

After going back to their room and getting some cool water from a pitcher Harry and Ron thought an explanation was in order. First, Ron had a question of his own for Harry.

"Harry, I want to know why we started running with them in the first place. We weren't in trouble, they were."

"Sorry mates, it was the only thing on our minds at the time."

"Besides what happened to helping out your brothers little bro' ?"

"Who did you insult anyway?" Harry asked.

The twins explained they were only giving a sales pitch to one of Bill's business contacts who worked a prestigious inn. They had out a box of their Canary Creams on the counter when a wealthy customer, wealthy because he could afford two huge bodyguards, picked up one of the creams. Fred and George tried to explain they weren't complimentary sweets but the pompous wizard wouldn't listen. George thought it was a perfect demonstration of how well it worked but the gent was not at all amused after turning into a giant canary and molting back into himself.

"Okay, why didn't you just disapparate?" Ron asked.

"Well, we didn't think he'd be that horribly upset. Positively no sense of humor."

"His bodyguards zapped us with anti-disapparating jinxes."

"Why didn't they just stun you and be done with it?" asked Harry.

"Not a good idea down here. They're very strict on the use of certain magic. Accidentally stunning an innocent bystander is considered a crime.

"You'd pay a nasty fine and could even be locked up for a bit."

"That's why we took off running through the crowd. Running into you two was just luck."

"Yeah, lucky for who?" Ron mumbled.