Unofficial Portkey Archive

The Dark Phoenix by Matt Striker
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The Dark Phoenix

Matt Striker

There was a nervous buzz throughout the crowd on platform 9 ¾. Most were content to cast Harry curious looks. However, one person stepped in front of him - a short and lean middle-aged wizard with mostly graying long hair.

"You've got to do something," he pleaded waving a copy of the Daily Prophet. "It's started again."

Harry blinked, and felt the indignation rise.

"I will do something. I'm going to fight Voldemort face to face. And what will you do? Will you fight by my side? Will you yield to a power hungry murdering tyrant, or will you fight for your freedom?"

There were gasps and stifled shrieks by those near enough to hear Voldemort's name said aloud. The crowd ebbed away from him and the now speechless wizard looked as if he had just been punched in the gut.

"I will."

"So will I."

Hermione and Ron had stepped up beside him. Neville, Tadra and Luna did the same.

"We will too."

Harry looked the wizard square in the eye.

"You can help by learning to say Voldemort without fear."

Without hesitation Voldemort's name echoed from the lips of his loyal friends on either side before they boarded the train and left the thunder struck wizard still standing in the same spot.

Harry looked out the window of the compartment and watched the countryside roll by to the rhythm of the train, rocking and swaying - Tadra did much the same, sitting across from him. The day was sunny and dry, making it look warmer than it actually was.

It had been mercifully quiet in the compartment. Luna was content reading the latest issue of the Quibbler. After having read it upside down she was now looking at it sideways. Neville was rereading the Daily Prophet for the second or third time. Harry gritted his teeth every time he happened to see the front page of the Daily Prophet. A wriggling serpent through a skull took up most of the front page. It irritated him immensely because there was no Dark Mark over the Chang's house.

They all knew he was upset by the wizard confronting him and demanding that he do something. But he was also very moved by their spontaneous support. He felt the need for quiet and to reflect on everything that had happened over the holiday.

Emmaline Vance had been murdered and Cho's parents were killed by Death Eaters - she was left for dead. She may, or may not return to Hogwarts.

There were now five newly inducted members of the Order. However, it was very galling to Harry that the Ministry refused to work with the Order.

Dumbledore pronounced Bill and Fleur - wizard and witch, and with a legal Portkey they went off on honeymoon to a secluded cottage somewhere in southern France.

Stronan and his sons, now Harry and Hermione's adopted family, left for the desert yesterday. Harry's reflection in the train window gave a fleeting smile recalling Stronan embrace Tadra, Hermione, and then himself. Stonan's words made him feel warm. "Watch after each other, my son, my daughters."

'Life can certainly have a strange chain of events,' he thought to himself.

Late last night Ginny revealed that just before Christmas Holiday she had stumbled across Snape's old potions book and made a copy. The margins of the book held little known shortcuts in making certain potions as well as some interesting curses. Harry welcomed anything that would make potions class easier and irk his instructor at the same time. It turned out Snape's old potions book was actually his mother's, Eileen Prince. Snape's mother was a witch and his father was a muggle. Harry wondered how Draco might take the news that his revered teacher was what he called a half-blood, but then so was Voldemort.

The whole idea of magical versus muggle discrimination meant nothing to Harry. People were people regardless of their background or heritage and the only thing that mattered was a person's character and deeds.

Last on his mind was Hermione's new found ability. Harry groaned remembering the event.

"You are thinking of how Ginny found Hermione, my brother?"

Luna and Neville, who had just traded papers, looked on with welcome interest.

Harry explained that it was the evening after they had all gone to visit Cho. Hermione had wanted to sit and rest in the living room at the old Black estate while he went to the kitchen to make some hot chocolate. It was then that Ginny found her and screamed. A lump formed in his throat as he summoned the words to say it.

"She looked dead."

"What do you mean she looked dead?" Neville asked curious, but glad that Harry was now in a mood to talk.

"I mean dead, pasty pale skin, blue lips. She looked dead."

"After some practice, Hermione discovered she could do it at will. I can hardly stand to watch, and Ginny absolutely refuses to be in the same room."

"I have seen the dead, Hermione is more than convincing," Tadra said with assurance.

"Maybe you can show us," Luna suggested as Hermione entered the compartment.

"Um, Harry and Tadra told you?" Hermione guessed.

She looked at Harry who was shaking his head with a pained expression.

"Maybe later. And don't tell anyone. I don't want to be demonstrating for the entire school.

Harry looked relieved.

"Neville and I have permission to join."

"How did you manage that?" Harry asked.

"Father decided it would be better that I belong to an organization that has adults in charge. That's the conclusion he came to after I reminded him of our battle at the Ministry."

Harry shifted uncomfortably knowing the entire incident had been his fault.

"Pretty much the same for me," Neville added with a twitch from the corner of his mouth.

Harry decided Neville was holding something back but decided to ask him later.

"Congratulations to both of you. I have to get back to my rounds. Save me a seat."

"I will," Harry answered.

It was a given that Harry would save her a seat next to him in a horseless carriage. Hermione was just using the reminder as an excuse to drop by. The rest of the trip back to school was spent talking about everything that had happened over the holiday with Bill and Fleur's wedding in particular. Business about the Order was not discussed because Neville and Luna were not yet inducted members.

Their arrival back to Hogwarts was greeted with a surprising and stern announcement by Dumbledore.

"The Forbidden Forest is absolutely forbidden. Professor Hagrid has found dragon sign in the forest. Enforcement officials from the Department of Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures have not yet found the dragon but they have confirmed sign of its presence. I cannot impress upon all of you enough the seriousness of this matter. Any student caught in the Forbidden Forest without the escort of an instructor will face possible expulsion."

**

**

Several weeks went by before Harry, Hermione and Ron had a chance to visit Hagrid privately in his hut. Hagrid would talk excitedly about a dragon being in the forest but would be just as adamant that the forest was dangerous.

"What's really going on Hagrid? What are you trying to tell us to be afraid of in the forest?" Hermione asked.

Hagrid's face went blank and he leaned back in his overly large chair making it creak. He lowered his whiskery chin and looked at the floor.

"Aragog's children are out o' control."

Ron briefly looked ill but cheerfully offered a suggestion.

"The Ministry has dragon hunters out in the forest. Why not have them deal with the problem?"

"Honestly Ron. If the Ministry discovers an acromantula colony in the forest they'll want to know how it got started."

"Er, oh," Ron replied.

"What happened?" Harry asked.

"I went to tell them to keep out of sight because of the Ministry's dragon hunters, and . . . well . . ."

Hagrid looked torn to say what had happened. Harry, Hermione, and Ron were on the edges of their chairs. Finally, Hagrid came out with it.

"They attacked me and I 'ad to kill two, mebe three, to get away," Hagrid said with a sigh and then let out a single tearful sob and pulled out his large handkerchief.

While Hagrid wiped at his eyes and tangled beard the three looked at each other. None of them were sorry to hear that some of the gigantic spiders had been killed but they were also aware of Hagrid's love for monstrous creatures.

"You did what you had to," Hermione said trying to ease his guilt.

"Ah, Ron and I never mentioned this but that time you sent us to find Aragog we nearly got killed."

"That's right," Ron added. "Your pet, said we were free meat."

Hagrid looked shocked.

"No, did 'e really? I mean I would never ah sent ya."

"We know. That's why we never mentioned it."

Hagrid's mood changed. His beetle black eyes were no longer sorrowful, but angry.

"So, what will you do?" Ron asked

"I dunno. I have some thinkin' to do."

Hermione stood up and said they had homework to get back to. A long discussion followed about how to help Hagrid with his problem. It seemed obvious the acromantula colony would have to be exterminated. They only hoped Hagrid would be able to come to the same conclusion. Hermione pointed out that Involving the Order was the logical thing to do and involving the Ministry would be a last resort. They decided to give Hagrid time to ask the Order for help.

In the mean time the three of them began to strategize how to go about eradicating the colony. At least Harry and Ron were. Hermione kept hope there might be a way to persuade them to be moved to Borneo.

"Sounds good to me. Let's go out and ask 'em," Ron said sarcastically and continued in a mocking voice. "You've all gotten a bit out of hand lately and I'm afraid you'll all either have to move to Borneo. Or - we'll have to hurt you. I swear Hermione you're as bad as Hagrid."

"That's not fair Ron."

"But he's right Hermione. If we were to make an offer like that we have to be prepared for the alternative."

Hermione agreed but then wondered how to deal with such large creatures - potions? spells?

Harry and Ron exchanged looks and Harry answered.

"There's only one sure way. We'll have to learn an unforgiveable - the killing curse. I'll ask Tadra if she knows."

The next day Harry informed Hermione and Ron that Tadra would arrange a lesson for Saturday evening in the Room of Requirement. Briefly they discussed if anyone else in the DA should be included but decided it was too dangerous of a spell and that if it was deemed necessary they could be taught at a later time.

***

***

***

Saturday afternoon before their unforgiveable lesson Harry accompanied Hermione on rounds through the nearly empty corridors of the upper level classrooms.

"I'm not sure I like the idea of learning the killing curse."

"I know you're uncomfortable with it but it's better to be prepared. I assume you've been to the library and looked up other spells that could be used on an acromantula."

"Yes, and I think I've found a couple."

Before Hermione could say more, unexpected giggling came from an empty classroom. Harry raised an eyebrow, reached into a pocket of his school robe, and pulled out an invisibility cloak.

Four first years, two boys and two girls, were reenacting something. Harry and Hermione watched invisibly a few meters away.

"What are they doing?" Harry whispered.

"I don't know, I haven't decided if I should report them or not," Hermione whispered back.

**

**

"Okay, I'll be Hermione Granger and David will be Harry Potter, and Charles will be Ron Weasley," said a little blonde haired girl directing the others. "I'll lie across the teacher's desk and be near death. David and Charles will save me from dying."

The two boys puffed up with bravado.

"Tonya, I want to be Hermione Granger," whined the other little first year.

"You can be Hermione Granger next time and Charles can be Harry Potter next time."

"Well, okay," she said with a blush looking at Charles. "But who am I supposed to be now?"

"You can be Hermione's mother."

Tonya lay across the desk and directed her friend to put a hand on her shoulder and Charles to put his hand on David's shoulder. Tonya feigned death and waited, but after nothing happened, she looked up at David.

"Well, aren't you going to save me? I'm dying. You don't want me to die do you? Just a little kiss."

She gave him a pleading look while her friend giggled. Tonya feigned death again.

David's bravado was fading fast and the look on his face could almost be read as 'How did I get into this?'

**

**

Harry had been smirking and Hermione had covered her mouth to keep from laughing at the reenactment. Seeing that young David had lost his nerve Hermione surprised Harry by pulling off the invisibility cloak.

"You're not supposed to be in an empty classroom," Hermione announced making the four first years jump and look at the two of them with wide eyes. The unmistakable look of being in trouble was on all their young faces. Upon recognizing they were face to face with Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, they all blushed with embarrassment. Hermione looked sternly at them and then smiled.

"That was fairly close to the way it happened. Tonya, if you please."

Tonya slid off the desk and Hermione took her place. Harry grinned and looked down upon her lovely face as her abundantly curly hair spread out on the desk. But his grin turned to a groan as Hermione closed her eyes and became waxy pale with blue lips. The first years gasped and Tonya's friend shrieked.

"I wish you wouldn't do that," he sighed, and ignoring his audience he leaned close and kissed her. Briefly he wondered why every time he kissed her it was as if it was the very first time all over again - and then he was lost to the moment.

Color rushed back to Hermione's face as she lifted up off the desk to embrace him. Glittering flame swirled about them briefly illuminating the empty classroom and the astonished faces of the first years. The glittering flame faded away and Hermione turned to their young audience.

"That's how it happened. If I catch you in an empty classroom again I'll write you up. Now, off with you."

The four first years scurried off and Harry cocked his head to one side and looked at Hermione.

"Why did you do that?" he asked.

"They were just too cute. I didn't want to write them up. Besides, we have an empty classroom for a bit."

Hermione's eyes beckoned and Harry answered, embracing her again.

***

***

***

Hermione looked at her map and frowned.

"Ginny's already there and my map won't show me if anyone is in the Room of Requirement."

"Ginny's already there? There's no putting anything past her," Ron said shaking his head.

"Something going on?" Ginny asked when they approached.

Ron thought Ginny looked quite pleased with herself. But before they could say more there was the sound of approaching footsteps. Hermione unfurled her map and took a quick look.

"It's Neville and Luna. What do we do?"

Ron only shrugged offering no suggestions. Ginny looked expectantly at Harry.

"I guess we'll tell everyone, and let them decide for themselves."

Ginny, Neville and Luna expressed indignation at being left out of a DA meeting and resorting to sneaking after them. They were more understanding after being told it was to learn the killing curse.

"It's a dangerous curse. Its use is forbidden," Harry reminded them.

"It's only unforgiveable if used on a person," Ginny countered.

"The killing curse may not work on a Helios or an Elemental," Luna added.

"Elemental?" Ron asked with a grin.

Ron was much more tolerant of Luna and her strange ideas than he used to be. Normally Ron would have scoffed and rolled his eyes. But now he calmly asked what she was talking about.

"Spirit entities of the four elements," Luna said casually.

"I think Luna could be right," Ron agreed with a nod. "Well, let's go have Tadra show us how this is done."

Harry and Hermione were last to go through the door and Harry whispered to Hermione.

"I think I agree - If Helios or Elementals actual exist."

Harry and Hermione closed the door and stopped abruptly with the others.

"What are you doing here, Malfoy?" Ron asked with a snarl.

"Draco Malfoy is here at my request," Tadra said in calm defense. She then turned to Harry. "My brother, you asked if I could teach you the killing curse and I said it could be arranged. Draco Malfoy knows the killing curse."

"That's true; I asked if you could teach it to us. I didn't understand this is what you meant."

Harry gritted his teeth as everyone waited for him to decide. Draco looked as though he could care less.

"How did you learn the curse?" Harry asked still trying to decide.

"I taught myself."

"I suppose that could be considered an accomplishment. But I'm no fool Malfoy, why are you willing to teach us?"

"I don't take you as a complete fool. And the reason is because Tadra asked me."

Harry ignored the subtle insult and considered interrogating Malfoy further.

"We should learn this even if it's from Malfoy," Ginny said voicing her opinion.

Hermione and the rest agreed. After such a consensus Harry did too, but decided to ask Hermione later about what she thought of Malfoy's real intentions.

No longer focused on Malfoy, Harry inspected the room that had lots of glass jars of varying sizes - with a spider in each one. The spiders were sized respectively to the jars they were in with larger jars containing tarantula-sized spiders. On the far end of the room were nine doors. Ron winced looking around the room.

"Whats the matter Weasley? Afraid of a little spider?" Malfoy drawled.

"Not if I can kill it."

Malfoy relished being in charge. He lectured the group in a fashion that was reminiscent of Snape - pacing slowly back and forth in front of them. He explained the killing curse in detail and that if they were all determined enough they might all learn the curse in one evening even though it took him weeks to learn it on his own.

Harry could see where this was going. If they learned quickly he would take the credit. If they didn't it was because they were inept.

"Hopefully you've been listening to what I've said. And I will repeat myself again. This curse is dangerous and unblockable. I for one do not wish to be killed by someone's clumsy fumbling." Malfoy looked directly at Neville and then continued. "The first time someone fails to follow my directions this lesson is over. Do I make myself clear? Very well, let's begin shall we. If you manage a puff of smoke on your first attempt it will show potential. If nothing - then you've got a long way to go. Remember, you have to want to kill. Now, watch and observe."

Malfoy levitated a jar onto the middle of a long table and pointed his wand.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A flash of green light and the spider was dead. More jars were levitated onto the table. One at a time, they took turns.

Ron, Neville, Ginny, and Luna produced little puffs of smoke at the end of their wands on their first attempts. Malfoy was nonplussed.

Tadra took her turn and aimed at a spider.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A flash of green light appeared and the spider was dead. Malfoy looked pleased.

Hermione's first attempt resulted in absolutely nothing. Malfoy smirked. Tadra however, made a suggestion.

"Hermione, my friend, please try again. However, may I suggest that you think of death, rather than to kill. I feel this may work for you in particular."

Hermione took aim with her wand again. Briefly, she looked pale and said the unforgiveable.

"Avada Kedavra!"

A flash of green light and another spider lay dead. Hermione paused looking at the lifeless insect in the jar.

"What's the matter Granger? Feeling sorry for it?" Malfoy asked with disdain.

"Not really. It's just that after Tadra's suggestion . . . it was too easy. I don't think I need to say the words."

"Nonverbal?" Malfoy scoffed. "Let's see it then."

Hermione raised her wand at another jar and without a word a flash of green light shot out, and another spider met it's demise. Hermione did not look glad at how easily she had mastered such a terrible curse. Malfoy only squinted at her.

Harry stepped forward and took aim. He had a strange giddy feeling as he raised his wand. There was something within him that hungered and yearned to be released. He felt the scars on his chest tingle. With blurring speed, three burst of green light flickered in rapid succession, and three spiders lay dead in their jars. Malfoy tried not to show how shocked he was at the speed. Nor did he want to show how galled he was at how easily Harry mastered the curse on his very first try.

Before the end of their unforgiveable lesson they had all managed to perform the killing curse. Watching everyone throughout the lesson Harry had the feeling that Ginny was holding back, but immediately discounted the thought. After all, it was the killing curse. She couldn't possibly have known how to perform it before tonight.

"I have one last task for everyone. We'll need to step into another room. Everyone pick a door and we'll go through at the same time," Malfoy told them casually.

As everyone stepped up to a door Harry saw Hermione tense and raise her wand. He did the same and so did everyone else. There was a click and the doors swung open with blood curdling growling squeals. A wild boar with sharp teeth and manic yellow eyes charged from the darkness at each of them.

There was shouting of the killing curse and flashes of green light. The boars dropped and slid on the floor dead.

Everyone but Tadra protested at the trickery and dangerous nature of their last test. Hermione expressed her anger that Harry had to deal with three and not just one. Malfoy only gave them his infamous smirk.

"Life is not fair. Be able to kill under pressure or die."

"But what about these dead boars?"

"Someone can inform the kitchens. I'm done."

With that said, Malfoy left. Tadra, however, lingered.

"I hope you are not too upset with me, my brother."

"No, I understand. But just remember he can't be trusted."

Tadra gave a nod and left.

"Alright, can someone please tell me why we let Malfoy teach us an unforgiveable?" Ron asked.

"For one, we needed to learn it," Ginny said flatly.

"But why was Malfoy willing to teach it?" Neville asked

"For the same reason Umbridge let Harry, Ron and myself have an exception to the rule for underage magic last summer. In the hopes we would get into deep trouble," Hermione answered.

"I feel no sense of satisfaction," Luna said sadly.

"About learning the curse? Why not?" Ron asked

"I do not look forward to using it. And I'm afraid that we will all use it before this war is over. I hope you all sleep well. Goodnight."

Luna's departing words were very sobering and no one spoke as they headed back to Gryffindor tower.

***

***

***

It had been several weeks since their talk with Hagrid about the acromantula colony and well into the first week of March. Harry was beginning to wonder if maybe Hagrid was going to make a decision by not making a decision. And since there unforgiveable lesson it had been unavoidable to tell the others what the real motivation was to learn the killing curse. Thankfully everyone had agreed to keep quiet about Hagrid and the spiders. Lessons, homework, and Quidditch soon took over as the primary concern for most students but the dragon hunt in the nearby forest was still on the minds of many. It was especially intriguing that the Ministry's official dragon hunters had been unable to catch it or even see it, but the signs were unmistakable.

Hermione checked to make sure the hallway was empty before she unfurled her map. The motion of two dots near the outskirts of the Hogwarts grounds caught her attention. She read the corresponding names, swore under her breath and mumbled, "Bennets".

She considered summoning help but it was late in the afternoon and she knew Harry and Ron were knuckled down working on memory charms essays. Briefly, she considered sending Ginny a messenger spell but decided to handle the situation on her own. She made her way out to the Quidditch Pitch and then discreetly made her way to the edge of the forest. She paused to perform a locating spell on the Bennet brothers. She made her way into the cold and darkened forest, stepping over clumps of unmelted snow, as her temper mounted. The Bennets were likeable, and full of mischief, and in some ways reminded her of Fred and George. This particular breach of the rules was over the top and she intended to expound her wrath upon the two of them.

Just as she was about to decide that it was too far into the forest, even for her, she found the two rascals near a large wooden log structure. From their conversation, it was evidently a dragon trap.

"No luck again."

"Do you think we should try different bait?"

"Jim! Tim! What in the name of Merlin do you think you're doing? Get back to the castle this instant! I will not come out here after the two of you again. There's a dragon out here, or have you forgotten?"

The brothers jumped, almost electrified.

"Holy dragons, you gave us a start Hermione."

"I think I need to change my drawers," said Tim wide eyed.

Hermione suppressed the momentary urge to laugh and put forth her meanest look. She was pleased to see it was having a good effect.

"I, uh, we -"

"We were just trying to help the dragon hunters."

"Yeah, they, ah seemed to be having a spot of trouble catching it. And, well."

"We thought we'd lend 'em a hand."

"Get back to the school this instant," she snarled. "Or so help me I'll -" and shot a curse just past Jim's ear.

Jim yelped and ran through the forest back toward the school with Tim in hot pursuit. For added emphasis, Hermione shot them both a stinging hex on the bum. This time she allowed herself a chuckle at the sound of their fading complaints.

Her feeling of satisfaction was short lived as a puff of hot air, from behind, blew her robes and curly hair forward.

'Dragon!' was all she could think and froze to the spot.

Another puff of hot air blew at her from behind before she dared turn to look.

It was without a doubt a dragon, but like no dragon she had ever seen in a book. But then again it looked familiar. It was cream colored and small compared to most adult dragons. It looked at her with unblinking yellow eyes. The pupils were narrow vertical slits.

Hermione's heart raced as her logical mind told her to disapparate, but her sense of danger was non-existent.

"H-hello," she stammered.

The dragon lowered its head toward her. It was now so close she could smell brimstone. Its snout was so close she could reach out and touch it. And in spite of her urge to get away from it she reached out and petted it. It closed its eyes as she touched the smoother scales of the snout and momentarily changed color to a pink-orange. It then unexpectedly nudged her and nearly made her lose her balance. The dragon then lowered its head to the ground and rolled over on its side cracking and breaking small trees and brush.

"W-why you're acting just like a big puppy. I really think you should go home. Wherever you came from."

Hermione thought it almost looked hurt as it rolled upright. Which really didn't make any sense. Dragons might have the intelligence of a dog, but they were wild and unpredictable. Nevertheless, she suddenly felt sorry for it.

"There are people looking for you, and that over there is a trap meant to catch you."

She felt foolish talking to a dragon but was surprised as it looked over at the Bennet brother's trap and then back to her. The dragon turned suddenly and peered intently into the dense forest. Hermione heard a faint muffled voice.

"Oh Merlin, it's probably the dragon hunters," she whispered to herself. "If I get caught I'll be expelled. Just my luck after getting the Bennets out of trouble."

The dragon looked sideways toward Hermione as she whispered to herself and then disappeared. Hermione could hardly believe it. It had to be a Shatau dragon, a chameleon dragon. As long as it was motionless it couldn't be seen. When it did move, it was like watching a blurring wave of water. She heard wings open and with a whoosh of air and brushing of branches from above, it was gone. It reappeared high overhead and breathed a bright yellow flame that made the air crackle from the heat.

There were now shouts from the direction of the muffled voices Hermione had heard moments before.

"There it is!"

"Come on, let's go!"

Four wizards on brooms sped off after the dragon that appeared to wait for them and led them away.

Hermione watched the dragon, and the hunters, disappear over a far forested hill and wondered if the dragon had actually understood her. She dismissed the thought and returned to the castle. It would not be good to be caught in the forbidden forest. After all, she was a Prefect.

**

**

The next morning at breakfast, Hermione decided to tell the others.

"I caught Jim and Tim in the forest yesterday. Seems they built a dragon trap."

"Hey, topper idea," Ron said grinning.

Ginny and Hermione looked at him sternly and Harry chuckled.

"Er, okay, maybe not such a good idea."

"And did Prefect Granger help show the Bennets the error of their ways?" Harry asked knowingly.

"Indeed I did. I'm sure they had trouble sitting down for an hour or so later."

"Eh, better than being expelled. You did them a favor Hermione. Lucky for them they didn't come across the dragon too," Ron said pouring milk into his fourth bowl of cereal.

"They didn't, but I did," Hermione said with a smug grin.

Harry spit out a mouthful of toast.

"You whaaat?"

Hermione explained the entire event and patiently listened to them tell her how should could have been killed or burnt to a crisp - as if there was a difference.

"I was in no danger. I know when there's danger. I can sense it."

"Well, I still don't think it was a good idea. Dragons don't make good pets, Hagrid's opinion not withstanding. They're unpredictable. You might not have been in danger at first but in the blink of an eye it could have turned on you. Then what?"

"You would have a crispy girlfriend?" Hermione asked wittily.

"That's not funny," Ginny said curtly.

Harry's concerned frown and the other's stern looks made her decide that maybe it wasn't very funny.

"I'm sorry," she said to everyone. Then she gave Harry a hug and a quick kiss. "I'll try to avoid petting any dragons."

Later that day a notice from the Ministry was posted stating that anyone caught attempting to capture the dragon at large in the forbidden forest, besides official dragon hunters, would be severely fined - fifty galleons.

Harry and Hermione happen to watch the Bennet brothers read the same notice. They looked at each other, and swallowed hard.

"My, my, difficult to imagine how furious someone's parents might be to have two expelled sons and then be fined a hundred galleons on top of that," Hermione said casually to Harry.

"I doubt there punishment would be anything so trivial as a stinging hex on the bum," Harry answered her.

The Bennet brothers looked ill and left in a hurry. Harry and Hermione smirked.

A week later and the Ministry's dragon hunters had decided their quarry had moved much further north. Rumor was they had chased it a long distance north before losing sight of it.

***

***

***

Mid March and potions class was becoming more interesting, at least to Harry. They had all been given an assignment to brew the Draught of Living Death. Snape made it clear that he expected them to all brew it quickly, and to perfection, and insinuated any wizard or witch worth their magic could accomplish the task. To Snape's expectation, Malfoy had accomplished the task, but so had others.

"I want to know how three Gryffindor's have managed to prepare their potions so quickly?" Snape asked through gritted teeth.

"No more quickly than two Slytherins?" Harry stated casually referring to Draco and Tadra.

Harry was barely managing to control a grin. He knew what Snape was really asking. Snape wanted to know how he, Hermione and Neville had managed to brew their potions as quickly as his star pupils, Draco and Tadra. Snape had obviously been giving Draco little tips on potion making over years. Since Draco was trying to win Tadra's favor Snape would have concluded that Draco had passed along a tip or two to her, but what was currently galling Snape was how Harry and company had managed the same feat. Of course, no one was going to tell Snape about a copy of his old potions book, which contained little known tips for brewing potions in the margins.

The confrontation was interrupted by the sound of hooves on stone.

"Professor Snape, my pardon, but may I borrow two of your students - Harry Potter and Hermione Granger. I'm sorry but this is an urgent matter."

Snape curled his lip and then stiffly waved an arm for Harry and Hermione to leave.

As Harry stepped out the door he glanced back over his shoulder to see the concerned looks of Tadra and Neville. Neville was likely wishing he could go with them because Snape would surely vent his frustration upon him alone, now that they had left.

Any further thoughts of potions class were vanquished as he realized Ron had been waiting in the hallway behind Firenze, and Ron's expression was truly serious.

"Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, I would ask for your help. A Centaur youngling has been bitten by an acromantula."

"Wouldn't Madam Pomfrey be the better person to ask? Or Dumbledore?"
"Why us?"

"Tadra has told me of the healing of a small child and of your friend here, Ron Weasley. The herd does not trust wizards and witches. They will not ask for help and I fear they have waited too long. The Headmaster is currently not at Hogwarts and spends much time away. I believe he searches for the seven dark stars. However, the current need is great. Will you accompany me to the caves of the Centaur?"

"Yes, we will."

As they made their way from the castle to Hagrid's hut Hermione tried to learn more.

"How old is the youngling?"

"Thirteen."

"What's the youngling's name?"

"Nimbos."

There was a brief but emotionally charged discussion at Hagrid's hut. Hagrid wanted to accompany them to the Centaur caves. Firenze was calm but firm.

"You know you will not be welcomed by the herd. They lay the blame upon you for the acromantula colony that inhabits the forest. They blame you for the presence of the Giant in the forest. They blame you for interfering in Centaur affairs."

"They're still upset I stopped them from finishing you off? And what's to stop them from trying again? I don't like this Firenze."

"Nevertheless, I would ask you not to come with us. And Ron Weasley if you would stay with Hagrid I would be grateful."

With the late afternoon sun shining brightly in the west Harry and Hermione followed Firenze into the dense forest. At times it was difficult to see and they would lose sight of Firenze's white-blonde hair and human torso, but his palomino flanks were always in view. When they reached the Centaur clearing Harry felt the need to say something.

"Firenze, we're not completely sure if it takes both of us to do this or not."

Firenze turned with blue eyes and gave them a placating smile.

"It takes both of you. Together your power is great. The harbinger has arrived and tells of imminent change - the light and the dark combined."

"Harbinger?"

"What you would call a comet."

"You mean what the muggles call Hale-Bopp comet."

"I was not aware that muggles give harbingers names nor that they watch the night sky so closely. You are very observant and your heart is kind, Hermione Granger."

"Thank you. But I was wondering what are the seven dark stars?"

"Seven dark stars in the night sky tell of the Dark Lord's hidden power. But I fear there is something more that is hidden. Come we must make haste. The Centaur caves are a little further."

They took a winding trail that wound along next to a deep ravine. The trail continued but Firenze stopped next to a rounded rock.

"Follow me."

To their surprise, he leaped over the rock. Harry expected to hear Firenze falling and tumbling down the steep embankment, but instead heard hooves land on firm ground. Harry and Hermione looked at each other, stepped up on the rock, took a leap of faith and landed on a hidden path next to Firenze. A few meters down the hidden path Hermione's eyes took on a grey cast and she took hold of Harry's hand. Harry reached out with his mind and sensed three Centaurs with bows drawn, and arrows pointed directly at them. If Firenze knew they were there he didn't slow his pace, and they kept following him. The hidden path opened up into a small clearing with several cave openings in old gray stone.

"Why have you brought a wizard and a witch to our caves?" asked an older Centaur flanked by more Centaur who either held clubs or bows with arrows, ready to be drawn.

The older Centaur looked strong even though his face was worn and wrinkled. He wore a thin bronze headdress on long gray hair with remnant streaks of rust red from younger days. His horse body was a slightly brownish dark gray dun. His black mane and tail had a lighter, almost whitish, fringe of bordering hair.

"He has been banished from the herd. We should -" Bane began but was cut off.

"Enough. I am leader of the herd. I will decide what is to be done," Magorian said firmly as his horse body gave a shiver of irritation. "Answer my question Firenze."

"I believe these two have the power to save Nimbos."

"Have you not read the stars? Death visits the Centaurs this day and your brother will die as the sun sets."

"I have read the stars and death does visit, but must death take? If we do nothing death will surely take a youngling as the sun sets. Are the stars absolute? For even Chiron said that a Centaur has will to choose in the movement of the heavens. A harbinger has arrived and foretells of great power to face the darkened stars. The light and dark tail of the harbinger speak of greatness." Firenze swung an open arm toward Harry and Hermione. "Harry Potter and Hermione Granger, together they are the harbinger, the light and the darkness. Will you not let them try?"

"Let them try," spoke a female voice from the entrance of a cave.

Harry had never seen a female Centaur before. She had long flowing blonde hair, deepsea-blue eyes that showed signs of crying and wore a soft leather bra. Her horse body went from a lower brown to an upper tan, her tail and mane were the same color as her hair.

"Know your place woman," Magorian said harshly but his eyes shown of tenderness.

"Let them try husband. The sun will soon set. Let us not regret that we did not try."

Harry, Hermione, and Firenze were led deep into a cave. There were faces and eyes that looked at them from the shadows of flickering torch light of side caves as they went. Upon the cave floor they found a young horse body lying on a bed of soft grass and fur blankets. There was a gaping and festered wound on the back of the horse body. A closer look revealed an unconscious young Centaur boy with long wavy blonde hair. He was pale and covered in cold sweat.

"We need to hurry," Hermione whispered.

Hermione's eyes were now a solid grey and she motioned for Harry to kneel beside her. Harry looked into the face of the woman he loved and held her, letting his cheek touch hers. Harry allowed suppressed memories of regret to well up from within. Remembering ghostly images of his parents emerge from Voldemort's wand was more than enough to bring forth warm tears. A heavy sigh from both and tears mingled to become thick and pearly dropping upon the wound of the youngling. Moments dragged on and then the youngling stirred and opened his eyes.

"Mother?" Nimbos asked weakly. "Am I going to die?"

Seeing that the festered bite had healed, his mother knelt on her forelegs and held her son.

"Not today," she said shedding tears of relief.

Harry and Hermione stood and wiped their faces. The cave was very quiet and eventually Firenze motioned to Harry and Hermione.

"We should return to the castle." Firenze then turned to Magorian. "Thank you father."

Bane and two others moved to block Firenze's departure but Magorian spoke.

"Let him pass."

As they stepped out of the cave the clearing was bathed in the orange glow of the setting sun and the rapidly cooling air was crisp. Magorian circled around in front of them.

"I have much to consider. If I should have questions concerning wizards and witches would you be willing to visit us again?" Magorian asked them. The brightness of his eyes was the only telltale sign of emotion in the saving of his son Nimbos' life.

"We would."

"Firenze will let you know."

A silvery-white patronus, a large scorpion, suddenly appeared in front of Harry. The Centaurs did not look at all happy to see magic suddenly appear in front of them, but Harry ignored them as Ron's voice spoke.

"Hagrid and Grawp are headed into the forest to meet with the spiders. I couldn't stop him."