Unofficial Portkey Archive

The One that he Pushed Away by cosmopolitan411
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The One that he Pushed Away

cosmopolitan411

Disclaimer: idea's that Rowling girl's.

--

The one that he pushed away

--

Summary: she had loved him, but he broke her heart so many times that it dissipated to a point that all she felt when it came to him was pain. He hurt her so many times and she finally got up the courage to leave him… but she did so with something of his.

--

Chapter XII: a visit to the past

--

Previously:

"I'm moving in with James," Lily announced as she walked into the flat.

"That's a surprise," Riley responded, thoroughly shocked by her decision.

"I'm moving in this Saturday."

"wait, what about me? You can't leave me in some hotel, you know how freaked out I get about them. I might as well be OCD when it comes to those beds."

"you'll be staying at the house as well."

--

Next day

Hogwarts

As she walked down the halls she reminisced over the various memories that they held of her time at the school. It seemed as though she could find a memory that was correlated with every spot in the place. As she walked down the halls she realized the importance of the place, the special spot in her heart that it would always hold regardless of the bad memories that it held as well.

"Ms. Evans is that you?" she heard a voice call out to her, breaking her from her reverie of thoughts.

She turned to see none other then McGonagall, "Professor, it's so good to see you again," she told the elderly woman while catching her off guard with a hug.

"It has been a long time, but I am glad to see that you are well. I also believe that there a congratulations is in order, I always knew that you were meant for great things."

"Thank you professor, you have no idea how much it mean to me to hear you say that."

"Well dear, I apologize for having to leave so soon, but I have a class of third years waiting for me, but please do visit again. Maybe you can come to a class of mine, I'm sure that they would enjoy that."

"I'd be honored to."

"Good, then I expect to see you soon," the elderly woman told her before walking away.

--

"Licorice wands."

Nothing.

"Oh, come on! Why can't you just open?! I've named so many different treats. How can none of them be it?"

"Lily, you may need to return to basics to achieve some tasks," said an elderly voice from behind her. "Don't over analyze the situation. Something so simple and blasé as chocolate works," and with those words the passageway opened, revealing the way to his office.

"Professor, it's been much too long," she told him as she embraced him.

"Albus, dear; it's just Albus. You are no longer my student so there is no need to address me by such formalities."

"The minute there is no longer anything more that I can learn from you I will call you that," she told him as she seated herself before him.

"How is Harry?"

"Rambunctious; you'll be happy to learn that James knows about him."

"It's about time."

"I have a question," she told him, suddenly unsure of herself.

"Ask away."

"Did you recommend me for head auror because you knew that I would have to come back to England and undoubtedly face James again?"

"My dear, I have yet to meet a more insecure person then yourself, especially in regards to your skills. I can assure you of the fact that I honestly believe that you were best suited for the position. The fact that you would have to face James was merely an added bonus."

"I'm moving in with them," she blurted out much less eloquently then she would have desired.

"You are?" he asked, shock and surprise thoroughly etched upon his face.

"He invited me to so that neither of us would ever have to be away from Harry… I mean when I had visualized the visitations I had always assumed that James would come to visit three or four times a week after work. I guess that I forgot that usually the child has to alternate weekly between parents. Then when that was finally pointed out to me I had to take the offer, I can't imagine being away from Harry," Lily rambled, still trying to convince herself that she had made the right decision.

"That would be a logical choice."

"Do you think that I did the right thing?"

"For who, you or Harry?"

"Me."

"I honestly don't know. I guess that it depends upon whether or not you're still in love with him."

"I think that I'm not still in love with him, so much as the connection we had."

"Does he want you back?"

"Yes."

"Then I guess that the only question left to answer is do you want what you two had back?"

"No, I don't want to go through that again. It's just not worth it."

"Are you sure about that Lily?"

"He broke my heart and it still hasn't totally mended. I can't handle that kind of excruciating pain again. I have to be strong for Harry; everything that I do is for him."

"What if James is the only person that can mend it?"

"Impossible."

"Are you sure about that Lily?"

--

Lily's flat

7pm

After having visited Dumbledore Lily had opted to walk around the grounds some more before making her way back home. However, when she opened the door to her flat she was thoroughly surprised by the sight before her once she made her way to the dining room. The table that had once been there was replaced by a tiny table for two that was dimly lit by candlelight. Rose petals were placed around the table and on it; light music was playing in the background, all in all totally setting the mood for romance.

Then Riley suddenly walked out of the kitchen with a huge a smile plastered cross his face. "Hey, I thought I heard you come in," he greeted her as he took her jacket. "Here take a seat," he told her as he helped her into the chair, proving to be the epitome of chivalry.

All Lily could do was nod dumbly, still getting over the shock of what was happening. "I- I-" she stuttered, trying to string together a comprehensible sentence, but failing miserably. "I thought that we agreed that there was no point in getting into a relationship."

"Yes, but that was before I realized that I'm the unlucky bloke that fell in love with you," he told her in the most blasé and nonchalant manner, sounding as though he was referring to something so simple as a new pair of shoes.

"Wait, what?!" she exclaimed, baffled by the confession.

"Don't worry," he reassured her soothingly, "I know that you don't feel the same way about me. However, that is also the reason why you should prepare yourself for the wooing of your life," he told her with a playful smirk. "I even cooked."

"No way! You never cook. You can't even re-heat food!"

"I know, but I tried really hard, so don't mock it `till you try it. Plus, it's actually good."

"What is it?"

"Grilled cheese."

"And it's not burnt or still cold?"

"Nope, and I do say so myself it's the best grilled cheese sandwich ever."

"Then lay it on me baby."

"Why of course Madame," he told her as he bowed while faking a posh English accent (which unfortunately, when mixed with his Australian accent, turned out quite bad).

--

"I cannot believe it that was actually the best grilled cheese sandwich that I have ever had."

"Told you so."

"Thank you," she told him as she lent forward to kiss his cheek. Riley however, had different ideas and turned his head just in time to capture her lips. Once he finally let her go all she could do was breath out, "For everything," before making her way to her room.

-->