Unofficial Portkey Archive

The One that he Pushed Away by cosmopolitan411
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The One that he Pushed Away

cosmopolitan411

Disclaimer: idea's that Rowling girl's.

--

The one that he pushed away

--

Summary: she had loved him, but he broke her heart so many times that it dissipated to a point that all she felt when it came to him was pain. He hurt her so many times and she finally got up the courage to leave him… but she did so with something of his.

--

Chapter V: lunch is the best meal of the day

--

9am

Auror's department:

"How long are you going to avoid me Lily?" Remus asked as he barged into her office.

"What do you want me to say? I just don't know how to act around you. With our history it's so awkward and I can't lie to you about the fact that I still resent you for not having told me when he was cheating on me."

"He is my best mate Lily."

"I know, but you could have goaded him into telling me."

"Lils-"

"I realize that I screwed up too, I came back and forgave him so many times, but you still could have told me. At least once out of those five times that I caught him. But NO, not once did you warn me about the fact that he was fucking another woman."

"I was wrong and I'll do whatever I can to get you to forgive me, just please give me a chance to work for it Lily. I want to be friends again."

"I don't know if I can do that Remus. You know, as well as I do, that I was never good at the whole forgive and forget thing."

"I lost you once Lils, I can't do it again. Can you please give me a shot? We can go out to lunch today, take it step by step."

"Okay," she nodded her head in a shy agreement to his request.

"Great, I'll pick you up here at twelve; I've got to go now. Need to do some work on the Peterson case," he told her as he quickly left her office.

Once she closed the door all Lily could do was repeatedly slam her head against the wall, asking herself: "what the hell did I just agree to?"

--

11:45

Auror's department:

"Is this the office of head auror Remus Lupin?" Sirius asked as he walked into the room.

"Hey, what are you doing here?"

"Practice is over, but James had to stay behind for some captain business with the coach. Since he'll be here soon anyway we thought that we'd take our favorite werewolf out to a celebratory lunch since we never got to finish our meals last night."

"Thanks mate, but I already have plans."

"With who?"

"Lily. I got her to agree to it, took a little persuading and a lot of begging, but she gave in, in the end."

"Can I come?"

"No Sirius."

"Why not?"

"Because I can't just show up with you. I barely got her to agree to have lunch with me and then if I ambush her by showing up with you she'll never forgive me."

"Fine," Sirius conceded as he threw himself onto the couch in Remus' office, "but what am I going to do for lunch?"

"You still have James, listen I have to go meet Lily. Bye."

"Good luck."

--

Lily's office

12:01

He couldn't help, but be nervous. He knew that she was still angry, after all it was Lily, she was a stubborn little witch who knew how to hold a grudge. He just didn't want to screw it up again.

Before he even had a chance to knock on the door Lily opened it, "what's with just standing there in front of the door."

Remus shrugged, "what do you feel like having for lunch today?"

"How about Chinese, there's a great place around the block."

"You've been here for two days and you already know the best places to eat. Now that's what I call talent."

"I make it my business to know, that is so long as food is involved. You are well aware of my eating habits."

"Don't remind me, they haunt me to this day."

She shoved him lightly into the lift.

"Hey, watch it; this is valuable merchandise that should be handled with care."

"Don't worry I didn't hurt myself Remus."

"Now that's mean."

"You loved it."

"You overestimate yourself."

"No way, look at me. I'm the epitome of female perfection."

"Ha!"

"You're an ass Remus."

"And people are staring at us."

"That's because we are arguing a bit too loudly on the street."

"Really, it is? I never would have guessed!" Remus told her in fake shock as he opened the door for her.

"Sarcasm doesn't suit you well Remy."

"Oh Merlin, not that name again."

"Hello, table for two?" a waitress interrupted them.

"Yes, one by the window please."

"Of course."

Once they seated themselves and opened their menus Remus couldn't take it anymore and asked, "did you miss me?"

"Remus, I honestly doubt that you want the answer to that question."

"I had to ask you know. I missed you Lils you were one of my best friends-"

"Don't Remus, don't. I'm trying to take the high road here, don't make it harder for me than it already is. I want to forgive you, don't make it impossible for me."

"I just want you to know how sorry I am."

"I can't believe you just yet. Too much happened, I need time to-"

"Oy! Is that the Remus Lupin and Lillian Audrey Evans?" they heard a voice ask across the room.

"Oh no," Remus said as he tried to cover hi face with his menu.

"Hi Lily," said a grinning Sirius once he made his way to their table.

"Sirius what are you doing here?" asked a visibly irritated Remus.

"Well James and I-"

"James?"

"Oh shit," Sirius said as realization dawned upon him.

"Sirius, you idiot."

"I didn't know that you two would be here, sorry."

"It's okay Sirius, I'd just rather not see him now so maybe you could help," Lily interrupted their conversation.

"Oh yeah. I'll just go then, bye," Sirius said as he walked away.

"I'm sorry about that Lily; I didn't know that they were going to show up."

"It's fine Remus. Potential crisis averted, that's all that matters."

"You know, you never told me what happened to you after Hogwarts."

"That would be because you never asked."

"Touché, so enlighten me, what has the lovely Ms. Evans been up to since we last saw one another at Hogwarts?"

"I've been working in Australia."

"A bit too monosyllabic for my taste, care to elaborate?"

"Well what more is there to say?"

"How's your family been? I know that you're really close to them."

At that question Lily visibly stiffened, "I don't speak to them anymore."

"Why not?"

"Now that one's a bit private."

"Okay, then how about your life outside of work. What do you do when you're outside of the office?"

"I have drinks with friends, enjoy my evening, you know." It was true; she did routinely go out and party with friends in Australia. (True, it was only twice a week, but she had never specified how often) and she did enjoy her evenings, being with Harry brought her so much joy.

"You sound happy."

"I am, I really am. I didn't think that I would be, but it all turned out for the best in the end."

"That's good, you deserve it."

"Hi," the waiter greeted them, "may I take your order?"

-->