Unofficial Portkey Archive

The One that he Pushed Away by cosmopolitan411
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The One that he Pushed Away

cosmopolitan411

Disclaimer: idea's that Rowling girl's.

--

The one that he pushed away

--

Summary: she had loved him, but he broke her heart so many times that it dissipated to a point that all she felt when it came to him was pain. He hurt her so many times and she finally got up the courage to leave him… but she did so with something of his.

--

Chapter XXII: to a new beginning

--

James was leaving the pitch after practice finished when he saw Lily's owl Herbert flying towards him. He reached for the letter that it dropped and when he opened it he was shocked by the response.

--

You're on.

It better be a hell of a date though.

Yours,

Lily.

--

Marauders' residence

6. p.m.

He walked into Harry's room only to find Lily playing with the boy and his Quidditch set; he snuck up behind her-

"James, the one main thing that we learned in Auror training was to sharpen our senses and always be aware of our surroundings. Did you really think that you could sneak up on me?" she teased him. She looked at her son lovingly, watching him squeal with excitement as the snitch flew around him, evading him every time he tried to catch it. "Harry's just like you, you know? Adores Quidditch, looks exactly like you, minus the eyes that is. He might as well be a carbon copy of you… hopefully minus the ego though," she added as an after thought.

"Hey there's nothing wrong with my ego!" he protested as he took his son from her arms. "Hey big boy, your dad's perfect, isn't he?" he asked the boy, fully aware of the fact that Harry agreed with whatever he said.

Therefore it was no shock to either party when Harry responded by saying "da-da, pefet!" squealing with laughter as James threw him into the air.

"Oh please, the kid cherishes the ground you walk on, that is totally biased!"

"Well maybe he cherishes it because I really am perfect. Ever thought of that, Lils?"

"You're an idiot, give me back my son," she told him as she took Harry from him and placed him back in his crib for his nap. Before turning to him and pushing him out of the room so that Harry could sleep in peace.

"So," he told her as they stood in the hallway, "you said yes."

"I did."

"Good."

"I should hope you'd think so."

"So when do you want to go out?"

"Whenever, I'm not picky, you know that."

"I was hoping you'd say that, be ready at eight," he told her before giving her a peck on the cheek and leaving her rooted in her spot absolutely dumbstruck by what had just occurred.

--

Marauders' residence

8.15 p.m.

She heard a knock on the door and opened it to find James standing in front of her with a cup of coffee in hand.

"I thought that you might like something other than flowers considering that you got twelve bouquets already, and your coffee addiction is rather famous."

"Brought coffee and followed the fifteen minutes late rule, you sure do know how to woo a girl."

"I try."

"So what will we be doing this evening James?"

"You'll see," he told her with an amused smirk.

"Oh come on! You know I'm impatient," she whined, hoping to goad him into revealing his plans to her.

"Well then, we'll just have to get going so you won't be in suspense for too long," he told her as he grabbed her arm and apparated from the room.

--

"James, is this what I think it is?" she asked, staring at the manor they had apparated to.

"The Potter Manor? Yeah, it is."

"Why are we here? I thought that after your mum and dad died, you never went back."

"Who told you that?"

"Sirius and Remus."

"Yeah, well, I started to visit once you and Harry came back. At first I couldn't even go in because it hurt too much, but I'm able to now."

"Why when Harry and I came back?"

"My dad always liked you, told me that you were the best thing that ever happened to me, that you'd change my life- I- once I found out about Harry I just needed to come back. I had a happy childhood here and I wanted the same for Harry. I guess I just wanted some sort of inspiration, guidance."

"You didn't need it; you'd be a great dad regardless. You proved that time and time again with Harry, but still I'm glad you came back, it's about time."

"Yeah, well, let's go in so you can finally see the surprise."

"Now I'm excited."

"You should be," he told her as he took her hand and led her into the house.

"Oh my god," she exclaimed once she saw the room.

The room was set up exactly like the muggle pizzeria from their first date, "I even cooked pizza," he told her nervously. "I thought that maybe we could start over, from scratch. Have a fresh start, I think we have a real shot at having something good."

"I'd like that," she told him with a sweet smile as he helped her into her seat.

--

"You know, you never told me how they died," she commented as the two sat eating their dinner, reminiscing over the happy moments in their past.

"Mum passed away from cancer, but dad- well no matter how `prepared' he may have been for it because he already knew that it'd ultimately have to come at some point... he just wasn't ready to lose her. They said that he died of a broken heart... like after she died, he didn't see a reason to go on and just gave up, his body soon followed as well."

"I'm sorry," she told him, placing her hand on top of his, rubbing it softly in an attempt to console him.

"Don't be… I may not have seen it then, but it really was an honorable death. What better way to die than for the love of your life?"

"But you lost them both."

"And believe me, I resented them for it for a long time, especially my father because he could have prevented it… but I get it now. I understand why he did, just took some time for me to finally see."

"Then why…" she stopped herself, confusion making way onto her face.

"Why didn't I come back sooner? I told you, took me a long time to forgive him, but even when I did, it hurt to come back because I was always bombarded by these memories of my mum and her death… let's stop talking about this, it's not helping with the mood," he told her lightly, in an attempt to evade further discussion over the painful topic. "What about you, how are your parents?"

"We don't talk anymore," she stated simply and coldly.

"Why?" James asked, shocked by her confession; she and her parents had always had an incredibly strong bond, one that he had been jealous of when he met them soon after his father's death.

"I was to either get an abortion or leave."

"I'm sorry, they shouldn't have-"

"But they did and it's over, I'm over it," she told him in a clipped tone.

"Lily-"

"James, let's not talk about sad things. How about we just enjoy the rest of the evening?"

"Okay, we can do that," James conceded.

"Good," she smiled.

"So do you like the pizza?"

"It's amazing, did you really make it?"

"Thanks, and yes I did! It's just about the only thing I can cook."

The rest of the evening was spent with pleasant conversations about even the most mundane things, often teasing one another about one thing or another. They just enjoyed in one another's company, getting reacquainted with one another.

--

Marauders' residence

1 a.m.

"So," James said as the two stood in front of her door.

"So," she smiled, teasing him.

"I guess that this is good night."

"Oh," she said sarcastically as she glanced at her watch, "Gee, I guess that's why it was so dark outside."

"Funny girl. So any chance that this can happen again?"

"Maybe."

"Maybe?"

"Maybe=," she told him, smiling at him flirtatiously.

"A good maybe?"

"Depends."

"On what?"

She raised herself so that she was standing on her tip toes and brought her mouth to his ear, whispering, "On how good of a kisser you are."

"In that case," he smirked at her as he leaned down to kiss her. Once they finally separated both breathless and gasping for air, he asked her, "So what's the final consensus Ms. Evans?"

"Don't know yet, need to make up my mind," she huskily whispered to him before grabbing the lapels of his jacket and pulling him down to kiss him once more.

-->