Unofficial Portkey Archive

The One that he Pushed Away by cosmopolitan411
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

The One that he Pushed Away

cosmopolitan411

Disclaimer: idea's that Rowling girl's.

--

The one that he pushed away

--

Summary: she had loved him, but he broke her heart so many times that it dissipated to a point that all she felt when it came to him was pain. He hurt her so many times and she finally got up the courage to leave him… but she did so with something of his.

--

Chapter IV: life's little curveballs

--

"Remus?"

"Lily is that you?"

"What are you doing here?"

"Howdy partner?" he said as more of a question than anything else while weakly waving at her.

--

Flashback:

Lily's apartment:

"I'm coming, I'm coming," she yelled as she ran towards the door, praying that the incessant knocking would cease and desist already.

When she opened the door she was met with an overly perky girl whom she assumed to be the new nanny.

"Hi, I'm amber."

"Figures," Lily muttered.

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, I'm sorry, early morning and mumbling come as a full, poorly packed package when it comes to me. Come in, I'm Lily Evans," Lily said in an attempt to recover.

"It's really nice to meet you Ms. Evans; I'm so excited to be working for you of all people."

"Really?" Lily asked in a skeptical vice.

"Well, yeah. I mean you're making history, the first woman to be head of the auror's department. It's truly amazing, congratulations on the accomplishment."

"Thank you," Lily blushed while the girl blushed over her accomplishment.

"Anyway you probably have to get ready so I'll let you be."

"Well Harry's room is the last one to the right. I'm sure that you know what to do when it comes to caring for a child, but in case you have any questions my last nanny, Maria, felt the need to make a manual, she even has a table of contents."

"Wow."

"Yeah, she was a bit overzealous, but she was with Harry since he was born, she really loved him."

"Well I'm sure I'll put it to use if a problem arises."

--

Auror department:

"Hello, I'm Lily Evans. Could you please direct me towards the meeting room?"

"Of course," the secretary told her while getting up in order to lead her towards the room. "Your partner is already in there, but I'm afraid that Moody has yet to arrive."

"Thank you," Lily told her with a smile once they were in front of the door.

"Breathe Lily, breathe. Dumbledore wants you to do this, you can do this. You'll be fine," she told herself in a desperate attempt to calm her nerves. "Let's get on with the show and see what's behind door number one," she thought to herself as she opened the door. The sight before her was what she had least expected.

"Remus," was the only word she said, after that she lost all capability of speech.

End flashback

--

"Oh, good, both of you have already arrived," moody said as he walked into the room, interrupting them from what could only be depicted as a staring contest. "Now make yourselves comfortable and let's get down to business."

Lily sat in there concentrating on every word that Moody uttered. She had never paid such attention to what someone was saying, but she was willing to go to whatever lengths that may be necessary in order to avoid thinking about Remus and the baggage that came with their history.

After two hours of reviewing what would be their responsibilities as heads Moody was finally prepared to conclude his tirade regarding what the duties that were associated with their titles. "Well that pretty much covers it, I will be checking up on you routinely in order to ensure that everything is running smoothly. Good luck," he told them as he raised himself and shook their hands before leaving.

"So," Remus said as he sat across from her, still unsure as to how he should behave around her, "how've you been Lils? Has life been treating you well?"

"I'm enjoying it, you?"

"I've missed you, you know," he blurted out and as soon as he did he regretted the words because he knew what the reaction would be from that ferocious temper of hers.

"Well you have no right to, I'll be in my office," she coldly told him as she walked out the room.

"What the fuck just happened?" Remus asked himself as he watched her walk out the door. That wasn't the Lily that he knew, this one actually seemed to be in control of her temper.

--

On the other side of the hallway…

"How could he say that? What right does he have, he lied to me! He let me have hope!" Lily yelled as she threw her stapler at the wall, still reeling from her encounter with Remus. "That bastard," she yelled as she collapsed onto the floor, tears streaming down her face.

--

Dinner:

"So Remus how was your first day as head honcho of the auror's department?" James asked as they sat in the restaurant having a celebratory dinner in honor of Remus.

"Great, you won't guess who my new partner is."

"Who?"

"Lily Evans."

At that moment Sirius, who had been drinking his fire whiskey couldn't control himself and spit out his drink in James' face.

James however, barely took notice of the fact. He seemed to still be trying to register the information that had just been divulged.

"So how is she?"

"Different."

"How? Lily's not really the type of person to change."

"Well she's hotter."

"There is no way that, that girl could get any hotter."

"She is. She also has surprising restraint and control over her temper. Oh, and she hates me," Remus added as an after thought.

"Is she married?" James asked.

"I know that this may come as a surprise to you James, but when a girl hates you she really doesn't usually talk about her personal life with you."

"Well did you see a ring?" James asked, frustrated by Remus' sarcasm.

"I didn't look, why does it matter anyway?"

"It doesn't."

"James, quit with the bullshit," Sirius berated him.

"Listen I was just asking because I was curious, let's just drop it."

"Fine, how was quidditch practice?"

"It was great, I was officially named captain of the English team for when we go into the cup," James exclaimed.

"Mate, that's amazing, congrats."

"I know that we said that we wouldn't talk about it, but I have to ask," Sirius interrupted, "how is she?"

"Sirius, I already told you."

"No- no, I mean how is she, as in does she look happy?"

"Yeah, other then when she's thinking about me, she really does."

"Do you think-"

"No."

"You don't even know what I was going to ask."

"She won't want to talk to you mate."

"Okay, so maybe you did know."

"Guys, I really am sorry," James told them.

"Why now?" asked an exasperated Sirius. He always got tired of James when he got into his Lily moods where he would mope over what he lost for weeks.

"Because it's my fault that she won't talk to either of you."

"No. I hate to say it mate, it's be easier to blame you, but she's right. We were her friends, she trusted us, but we didn't protect her. I considered her a sister; it was my responsibility above all others to look out for her. We weren't good friends to her, she deserved better."

"I really did love her you know."

"James sometimes you're better off just not saying anything and this is one of those times," Sirius told his friend in a dangerous tone. "You've told me a million times that you love her, but guess what James, you have no right to say that. You never loved her enough to stop cheating on her. I forgave you for the effects that it had on me, but I will never forgive you for breaking Lily's heart."

"He's right James, quit it with the self pitying bull shit, it gets old fast," Remus chastised his friend.

"It's just that I thought I would be able to get over her. It's been two years already, but I can't. I just can't help, but wonder if she was the love of my life."

"Well if she was you lost her," Sirius told him before getting up and leaving them.

"He's right to be fed up mate; you don't have the right to act like the innocent party. Talk to us when you have some more common sense," Remus said before making his exit as well.

"Maybe she's not so much the one that got away as the one that I pushed away," James muttered to himself.

--

Author's note: what can I say I am an advocate for werewolf rights LoL! Anyway there u have it the partner was Remus and everyone was wrong. Come on I am cliché, but not so cliché as to make James the partner

-->