Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: This chapter will be a bit different than chapters in the past. Previous chapters have either heavily one way or the other (either more from James' POV or Lily's POV). This chapter falls out of that pattern and in as Author Omniscient's POV (as of mine, the author). I am hoping it clears up a bit (but not too much). I know it feels a bit awkward, but I figure that people would kill me if I skipped the festival.

Disclaimer: Just borrowing.

Chapter 10

They all woke as they normally did; yawning and stretching, though this morning it was hours earlier that normal for the students of Hogwarts. It was just too exciting! None could remember ever being this excited for any school day, but this wasn't just any school day. It was Halloween, the greatest day of the year and the day of the long anticipated festival. While some were still sleepy, others bound around like endless bundles of energy.

Lily had been up for hours before dawn, preparing. She hadn't been surprised that no one else had joined her, she hadn't asked anyone to come after last night when they kept grating on her nerves. She liked to work alone on things she wanted done a specific way, especially when they were important. The others didn't see her vision, and plus they were sometimes too goofy to be contended with. She sat on the edge of one of the school brooms, overseeing her magic at its best. She had done it. She had turned the large grounds of Hogwarts from the rolling grass and sleepy trees to something straight out of the crusades.

"Wow," Alice said grinning as Lily landed. She looked around, trying to take it all in with her eyes wide. "I mean, wow. Really."

"Its not too much is it?" Lily wondered aloud.

"Oh, it's perfect. I feel like I fell right into the eleven hundreds," Alice said. She reached out and touched the arch she was standing under, as if entering through a protective castle wall into the market.

"Except for the rides and food and games, I tried to make it as real as it could be," Lily said smiling. Alice looked around.

"I know none of us has been really big help, but you are amazing," Alice said. She looked at the house elves rushing about, putting the final touches on the festival.

"Thanks," Lily said blushing slightly. "I just hope everyone else will like it."

Lily needn't have worried about the student body liking it. By ten in the morning, students from every house were running around, playing and laughing. There was so much to see and do that everyone wondered if there would be enough time to do it all. Lily leaned against the fence post, watching and cheering for two first years that had decided to try their hands at joisting on brooms. Lily laughed as one of the boys fell off the broom.

"You shouldn't laugh at the first years. It might give them a complex," James said in her ear. Lily turned around to see him standing there behind her, grinning.

"I was wondering when you were going to come find me," Lily said.

"A little full of yourself, aren't you?" James said raising an eyebrow. He cracked a smile, despite his struggle not to. "I was checking to make sure that the food had arrived where it needed to be."

"Have you tried this?" Sirius interrupted the two as he shoved a huge pink blob in between them. James made a face.

"What is it?" James asked.

"Muggle candy. That would be my contribution to the food," Lily said as she picked a chunk of it off the massive blob. "It's cotton candy. I know it's not really medieval but it is mighty festive. Try some."

James made a face and shook his head at her. Lily had already put her piece into her mouth, letting the sugary cotton dissolve. She swallowed and pulled off another piece. She looked at him, smiling.

"Open up," Lily said coaxingly. "I promise, it won't hurt you and you'll love it."

"It's good," Sirius agreed.

"There's not much that you don't find good, Sirius," James said skeptically as he hesitantly opened his mouth and leaned forward slightly. Lily placed the wad of cotton candy in his mouth, a few sugary strands clinging to her fingers. She looked at him expectantly.

"So?" Lily asked as she took another piece of cotton candy.

"Hey, get your own," Sirius said in horror as he pulled the cotton candy away protectively. Lily laughed and put the stolen treat in her mouth.

"It's good," James agreed. He grinned. "I can't imagine a better delivery service, either."

"I'm not feeding you," Lily said as she threw her arm around his shoulder. "You're too big of a boy for me to feed you. But I'm glad you like the cotton candy."

"Are you sure?" James said as he ducked under her arm. He shrugged. "Well, that's a shame. I see Remus and Peter, Sirius, so let's go say hey to them. I'll catch you later, Lily. Remember, we're going to ride the Ferris wheel later."

"Oh, ok," Lily said confused as James and Sirius walked away. Frowning slightly, she turned back to the joisting between two Slytherin third years that had better control over their broom.

"What are you doing, man? She obviously wants to spend time with you. Short of asking you, of course," Sirius whispered hurriedly as they crossed the main square.

"I know but I'm trying a page out of her book," James said grinning. He laughed. "It came to me a while back, but I never understood. Why do I like her so much?"

"She's pretty and smart?" Sirius offered.

"She is, but no," James said shaking his head as he snatched a piece of Sirius' cotton candy.

"She's the head girl?" Sirius suggested. James made a face.

"No, that would make me like her less, normally. The whole goody-goody thing is annoying," James said shaking his head. "Guess again."

"I give up," Sirius said as he snatched what was left of his cotton candy back. "What is it about Lily that makes you like her so much?"

"She challenges me to be better," James said simply. "I try harder because with her, I have to. But I've also learned something, the more she plays hard to get, the more I want to be with her. So, in my infinite wisdom of seventeen I've decided that two can play that game."

"You're playing hard to get?" Sirius asked frowning. "Aren't you afraid that it will blow up in your face?"

"I can't be any worse off than I am now, you know," James said. Sirius grinned and nodded.

"I get it," Sirius said. "Smart, really. So, where are Remus and Peter?"

"How should I know? I was just saying it to get away from her. Leave her wanting more," James said. Sirius shook his head.

"I still think this is going to backfire," Sirius said as Remus bound up to them. He was wielding a ridiculously large turkey leg.

"Have you seen the size of these things?" Remus said as he took a huge bite of the leg. "They're fantastic."

"I'm glad you like them," James said as he looked at Sirius, who was distracted with the last piece of cotton candy on the stick. "You know, you can get more."

"Yeah, but there is nothing like your first," Sirius said as if he were speaking of a lover and not a sugary treat. Sirius glanced at Remus, his eyes suddenly hungry. "Where in the world did you get that?"

"Third booth on the left, just beyond the Plague Pie-Throwing booth," Remus said. Sirius didn't even wave goodbye, just took off in search of the famed giant turkey legs. Remus laughed. "You really out did yourself on the food."

"Glad you noticed," James said grinning as they continued to walk. Remus saw Lily standing at the Feat of Strength booth, watching them. He waved.

"Hey, there's Lily. Let's go say hi to her," Remus said. James shrugged and grinned.

"You go say hi, Remus. I'm heading over towards the kissing booth," James said playfully pushing him. James separated from Remus, who made a bee-line towards Lily. She smiled but looked past him at James.

"Hello Lily," said Remus as he tossed the bone of the turkey leg into a rubbish bin.

"Hello, Remus," Lily said as she crossed her arms and directed her attention back to Remus. "Are you having a good time?"

"The greatest," Remus said. "It's all so wonderful."

"Thank you," she replied. She glanced to where James disappeared into the crowd. "Where was James heading?"

"To the kissing booth," Remus said flippantly. Lily pouted, which cause Remus to laugh. "You know, you can't say anything. You keep fooling around, Lily. He's not going to wait forever."

"Good," Lily said making a face. "I wanted him to move on a long time ago."

"You lie," Remus challenged with a smile.

"Do you want to share a boat?" Lily asked suddenly as she saw James walking back their way.

"Through the Tunnel of Love?" Remus asked as she grabbed his arm.

"I was only kidding, Remus. I know that ship sail eons ago," Lily said laughing. She released his arm but didn't move away from him. Instead, she looked at James. "I think I might go bury the hatchet with dear James, so if you'll excuse me."

"Ok," Remus said as he watched her walk up to James.

"Hey, James, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out together today," Lily said rapidly, as if the entire sentence was one really long word. James looked confused as his mind ran through what she had said and placed the spaces where they belong.

"Why?" James asked curiously. Lily shrugged.

"Because," Lily said. She nodded toward Alice and Frank. "I want that."

"You want Alice and Frank?" James asked as he drew it out a bit more. He knew what she was referring to but he figured she had spent six years torturing him. It was only fair to repay her.

"No," Lily said. She looked at him, her hand on her hips. "You're just too much! Forget it. I'll just see you at five, on the Ferris wheel, ok?"

James watched as she stormed off and for a moment he thought about chasing her. He shook his head. He had been chasing her for six years. She would have to do some of the chasing, otherwise he really was just pathetic. If she wasn't willing to at least meet him half way, he was moving on. He hated that it had come to that, and they would remain friends if they wanted, but he was tired of chasing after her. She liked him, he knew it, but she seemed resistant.

After joisting with Sirius, throwing pies with Remus, and even driving muggle bumper carts with Peter, James was exhausted. He knew he would sleep well. Checking his watch, he headed over toward the Ferris wheel. After his epiphany earlier when it came to Lily, he wasn't thrilled about having it challenged. Still, he had been secretly looking forward to the ride since he had claimed a ride with her. He knew she'd be waiting, and he was tempted to stand her up just to prove to himself that he was ready to let go of Lily Evans.

"I'm surprised you came," Lily said as James stepped next to her. He glanced at her briefly.

"Me, too," James said shrugging. "If you don't want to do this, we don't have to. I don't want you to feel obligated."

"Why would I?" Lily asked as she crossed her arms. With the sun setting as quickly as it was, the air was taking on a biting cold. Secretly she wished it wasn't her arms around her.

"I seem to bring the worst of you out," James said carelessly. Lily sighed and took the seat offered to her. James sat down next to her. Once the bar was pulled closed, the Ferris wheel came to life.

"Why do we do this?" Lily asked as the Ferris wheel stopped half way up, presumably to fill or empty the other seats.

"Do what, Lily?" James inquired as he looked out across the school grounds.

"Why do we constantly pull each other close then push each other away?" Lily asked as she put her hand on James' hand. He looked at her, startled.

"I don't know," James said shaking his head. He took her hand in his. Swallowing nervously, he changed the subject. "Beautiful sunset isn't it."

"What? Yeah, the sunset is very beautiful," Lily said. The Ferris wheel started again, but stopped when the two of them were at the very top. "If I tell you a secret, one that must remain between us, even up here, will you promise to keep it?"

"Sure," James said as he continued to watch the sun sink below the horizon. He looked up to see the newly exposed stars that were popping out of the darken skies.

"You have to promise," Lily said as she pulled her hand free of his. She looked up at the stars above, the twinkling with the rosy crimson sunset.

"I promise Lily," he said as he turned back to look at her. She looked at him, biting her lip.

"Even from Remus and Sirius?" Lily asked.

"Yes, yes," James said as impatience slipped momentarily into his voice.

"Hey, don't get snappy with me, James Potter," Lily said quickly. "I'm trying to open up to you."

"Sorry," James said nodding. "I'm all ears."

"So you promise, right?" Lily asked as she clutched his hand tightly.

"Yes, I promise," James said nodding.

"Ok, wow," Lily said as she took a deep breath. "No matter what I say, things cannot change and you mustn't tell act as if anything has changed."

"You know, Lily, you make it seem like you are about to confess that you love me," joked James. He laughed but stopped when Lily raised an apologetic eyebrow.

"Well…" Lily said shrugging.

"Gee," James said as he ran his hand through his hair nervously. "Wow, really?"

"Yeah," Lily said as she covered her face in embarrassment. "Oh, god, you know I fought it tooth and nail, too. I don't know when it started really, but I know when I realized it."

"When?" James asked.

"My parents' funeral. Seeing you there, supporting me like that made me realize what a wonderful man you are," Lily said blushing. She turned away.

"You know I like you, Lily," James said as he touched her cheek with his finger. "You know I have been crazy about you since first year and you know that I have liked you more since then."

"I know," Lily said quietly. "Nothing up here changes anything, though."

"Good," James said grinning at her.

"Good?" Lily said confused.

"Yeah," James said as he leaned forward. "It means I can kiss you without repercussions."

"What?" Lily asked as James leaned forward, placing one hand on her upper arm and the other on the back of her head. He caught her off guard, his mouth meeting hers. She was nervous, her stomach all fluttery, but she reluctantly let go of the control she had been maintaining for all this time.

It was unbelievable how much energy could be exchanged with a single kiss. She leaned forward, her body taking control and refusing to listen to the reason of her mind. He pulled back from her slightly, not wanting to go too far too fast. He smiled at her before he released her.

"It was exactly like I had imagined it," James said sitting back against the chair. He had a big grin on his face. He looked at her with a hopeful look on his face. "I know we can't change thing between us, at least not yet, but do you think we can do that again sometime."

"Sure, James," Lily said as she shook her head. She had her fingers to her lips.

"Really?" James asked as they returned to the ground.

"No, of course not, James. Our heads are no longer in the heavens, our feet are firmly on the ground," Lily said as she forced to keep herself calm. The bar that kept them safely in their chair was lifted and they released from the chair. She climbed out first.

"Lily, wait," James called. "Lily!" She turned around quickly, a hand on her hip.

"Nothing has changed, James. Remember you promised," Lily said. She turned to leave and walk away.

"I remember," James called. "I'll see you at our next potions tutoring session."

James crossed his arms, smiling smugly as Remus and Sirius walked up to him, their arms crossed and a look on their faces. They gave him a question look but were only met with a shrug and a smile. James strutted the rest of the evening, the secret scent of love caressing his sense. Whether she would admit or not on ground, Lily had confessed that she loved him. Eventually, she wouldn't be so hesitant and afraid to tell the rest of the word just how she felt, and James planned to be there to give her a victory kiss.

-->