Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Some of you wondered how the Daily Profit had Lord Voldemort's picture; Lily just made a quick assumption that she had seen him on there. There wasn't much time to think properly between Lily getting stunned and seeing him. She just KNEW it was him. As far as we know, they didn't know what he looked like (perhaps Lily and Dumbledore discussed it way back in the beginning of the story… since we never really got to hear a whole conversation between them). This chapter is a bit on the long side, but you all said that you didn't mind, so no complaining. Also, I am wondering how many people are still really reading this story. If you're tired of it, I can wrap it up really quickly (3 chapters quick) and we can be done with it (I hope not, but I'll do what needs to be done). Oh, and there is some disturbing stuff in this chapter. Be forewarned. Read and review.

Disc.: I own nothing, not even the rainstorm, but I do own the plot… none of the characters, and all of the dialogue (except the parts that suck… I won't take credit for that).

***

C38: Lily's Purgatory

Lily felt sore and groggy as she slowly pulled her eyes open and into focus. Immediately the sickly sweet smell of rancid meat filled her nostrils and she retched then vomited on the stone floor she had been laying on. She didn't know where she was, and at the moment, she couldn't focus on caring about that. Her palms and knees were tender from the way the stone bit into them roughly as she heaved so hard, she was certain to lose some of her internal organs. She could see sparkling stars before her eyes and she wondered if she was really alive, or if this was a part of death.

"What happened?" She wondered aloud as she spat the horrible taste from her mouth, onto the floor, and wiped her mouth with her hand. She climbed to her feet in the nearly dark room and carefully shuffled over to the small sink she could make out. She quietly turned the faucet, the complaint of rusty metal on metal echoing in the stone room. She hesitated before she rinsed her hands, ignoring the scrapes and scuttles of small rodents on the ground.

Using her hands along the wall, she slowly and carefully explored the room she was in, guestimating that it was some sort of cell possibly underground from the dankness in the air with a rough, wooden door. The only light came filtering through the bars of the door and illuminated the small sink. Lily tried a few quiet non-verbal spell, trying to summon her wand. She was met with silence and no wand. Either she was much too far from her wand or she was just unable to perform magic without it. She shook her head. She knew that wasn't it. Wands were tools of magic, not the magic itself.

"Hello?! Hello?! Is anybody out there?" Lily yelled through the door. She was met with silence. She started pounding on the wooden door until her hands were sore. "Hello?! Hello?! Somebody… anybody?!"

"Shut up down there will you?!" a voice yelled down the stairs. Lily could see the dumpy outline of a witch at the top of the stairs.

"Bring her to me Bella," a cold, high voice echoed through the stone walls causing Lily to shiver with the chill that shot down her spine. The dumpy witch walked down the stairs, her heavy footsteps pounding the stone stairs. Lily backed away from the door as Bella's face came into view.

"Bella Black, how nice to see you," Lily said coldly as she heard the sound of metal on metal. The door swung open, the metal creaking open.

"It's Bella LeStrange now. I married Rudolphus right after school," Bella said as she stepped forward and grabbed Lily's arm in her hand. "Seems like you're the only one of us who hasn't gotten married, though I see you have done quite a bit to make sure that any wizard you married would have to do so with shame."

"What do you want with me?" Lily asked as she tried to twist and turn out of the heavier set witch's tight grip.

"I don't, personally, but the Dark Lord does, and I do what he says," Bella said cruelly to Lily as she half-dragged Lily up the stairs. Lily didn't struggle on the stairs, fearful that she would fall and injure the babies. Lily allowed herself to be led, certain that if she was intended to die that she would be dead already. She knew the Lord Voldemort killed many more for much less.

"Well, at least you are an obedient minion," Lily said without thinking. Bella slapped her in the face.

"It is an honor to serve the Dark Lord," Bella challenged as she glared at Lily. Lily could taste the blood, but said nothing. She would have to learn to hold her tongue.

Lily could feel Bella digging her finger nails into Lily's arm, the dirty nails piercing the flesh slightly. Lily swore, no matter what, she would not cry or show weakness. Lily was brought into an overly warm chamber. The leather of the chair was nearly scalding as Bella shoved Lily into one near the fire.

"Sorry for the warmth," Lord Voldemort said though he didn't seem too apologetic at all. He nodded to Lily's feet. "Nagini is a cold blooded creature and she prefers the warmth of the fire." Lily glanced down at the large snake that was slithering by and shivered. She was not a fan of snakes.

"Should I stay, master?" Bella asked as she bowed to Lord Voldemort.

"No, but do send Severus in," Lord Voldemort. He waited until Bella left before he turned to the muggle born witch who sat before him. "Stand up and let me take a look at you, see what all the fuss is about."

Slowly, Lily stood up and felt at unease as Lord Voldemort studied her a moment. He let his gaze sweep her, focusing on her different features. He didn't say anything as she stood there a minute. Lord Voldemort let one of his rare smiles betray his face, and it nearly frightened Lily to death. It looked alien on his face, one that should never have anything remotely kind cross it.

"I can see what gets him all in an uproar," Lord Voldemort said as Severus entered with a quiet knock. Lily glanced over at Severus, a frown on her face. Severus glanced at Lily, but didn't say anything.

"You requested me, my Lord," Severus said quietly as he stood there wearing his black robes that he had favored even in school. Lord Voldemort looked at him and nodded.

"This is the girl, isn't it? The one you were telling me of?" Lord Voldemort asked. Severus nodded once.

"Yes, my Lord," Severus said. Lord Voldemort stood and began pacing the room.

"So, Ms. Evans, I have heard so much about you. It is quite interesting to see how talented you are despite your upbringing," Lord Voldemort said quietly.

"My being muggle born doesn't mean that I'm an inferior witch," Lily defended. She didn't back down, but she knew she was treading on thin ice. Still, she had to assume she still had a purpose if she was still alive and standing.

"Well, I don't know I'd go as far as all that, Ms. Evans," Lord Voldemort said casually. He watched her for a second. "Do you know why you are here?"

"Honestly, no," Lily said quickly.

"Severus tells me that despite his adoration of you, you are quite emotionally involved with James Potter. Is that true?" Lord Voldemort asked.

"Yes," Lily said.

"Did they teach you any respect at Hogwarts?" Lord Voldemort asked coolly.

"Yes, they did, and I have respect for those I find respectable, like Professor Dumbledore. Everyone else must earn my respect," Lily said boldly. Lord Voldemort laughed cruelly.

"To respect that old coot," Lord Voldemort said shaking his head. "You are here because I was promised allegiance from Mrs. Black. She promised me the use of her two sons, Sirius and Regulus, for my cause. Regulus cleaved to me early on, much like Severus, willing to sacrifice what needed to be sacrificed, but the other son, the older one, Sirius, has fought me tooth and nail."

"And what does this have to do with me?" Lily asked.

"If I find you, I'll soon find James, and if I find James, I'll sooner find Sirius," Lord Voldemort said. "Where are they?'

"I don't know," Lily said. "And if I did, I wouldn't tell you."

"Even to save your life?" Lord Voldemort asked as he pressed his wand to her throat. Lily swallowed, thinking about the twins. She knew that as their mother, she should do whatever it took to protect them no matter what, but this was bigger than her and her children. This was about the entire wizarding world.

"Not even to save my life," Lily said certainly. Lord Voldemort pulled his wand away, a light illuminating Lily momentarily as she slumped forward slightly into Lord Voldemort's arms. Lord Voldemort caught her easily and looked at Severus.

"I think that perhaps some inquisition in my private chambers," Lord Voldemort said as he pulled her close to him. He slid his hand, cupping one of her breasts. "Normally, I don't require the comforts of a woman, but I think I might actually enjoy this."

"My lord, she's a Mudblood," Snape said shaking his head. Lord Voldemort held her tightly, his hand remaining on her body. Lily was still, silently cursed out cold for the moment

"She was good enough for you," LV retorted with his eyebrow lifted.

"I am not as pure as you," Snape said as he lowered his head.

"I remonstrate, Snape. We are equal in lineage," Lord Voldemort said. He pushed the girl into Severus Snape's arms. "Prepare her in my chambers… maybe there is information yet to be retrieved."

"Vertiserum?" Severus question quite suggestively, hoping that it would be a better choice that Lord Voldemort would choose and not what Severus feared.

"No, I shall be a little more primitive in my extraction," Lord Voldemort said with a coldly cruel laugh as he slips his wand in his pocket. "Perhaps physicality enough will encourage her."

"But to taint your flesh with her unworthiness, sir," Snape insisted.

"What is that silencing charm?" Lord Voldemort said distractedly, not hearing Snape. He petted the snake, Nagini, deep in thought.

"Muffilato, sir," Snape said defeated.

"Good, I shall cast it then to keep the secrets from getting out. You really are my most loyal and trusted servant," Lord Voldemort said. Severus nodded, taking that as his dismissal, and carried Lily from the study to the Dark Lord's private chambers.

Severus looked at Lily, her auburn hair in waves around her face. She was still out cold and would remain so until she was revived. He waved his wand, conjuring the table of torture that archaic persons used to interrogate and extract detailed information from reluctant muggles. He walked over to the side of the bed, his heart breaking in two. He felt torn between the love of his Dark Lord and the love of Lily Evans. He brushed her hair out of Lily's face.

"I am so sorry, Lily," Severus whispered in her ear. He cupped her face and placed a kiss on her mouth. "I never wanted anything bad to happen to you."

"Don't worry, Severus," Lord Voldemort said as he came up behind the young man standing beside the bed. "If she tells me quickly, it will end quickly for her, and if she doesn't, then, well… when I am done with her you may have her."

"T-thank you, my Lord," Severus said as he stumbled away. He stopped and fell to his knees at Lord Voldemort's feet, Severus' hands gripping the bottoms of the Dark Lord's robes, tears streaming from his dark eyes. He begged, "S-sir, please reconsider. I really love her. Be merciful, please."

"I… I shall be merciful," Lord Voldemort said after a moment of looking down at Severus. "I will not kill her, if that is your fear."

"Thank you, sir. You are a most merciful Dark Lord," Severus breathed. Lord Voldemort's face twisted in a cruel smile.

"Yes, but don't let that get out," Lord Voldemort said. He glanced at Lily. "Now, leave us be. I think she'll fold quickly once she gets a little of the three Unforgivable Curses."

"Two," Severus reminded gently.

"Right, just the two. A simple slip of the tongue," Lord Voldemort said laughing slightly and nodding as Severus walked out the door, shutting it behind him.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Alice glanced at her watch, certain that whether Lily was expecting them to be there or gone, Lily should have returned to the hotel room. It was nearly ten, well past all of the fireworks and celebrations of the Fourth of July, and Lily should have returned. Alice glanced over to where the boys were playing an Atari that they picked up.

"Are you worried?" Frank asked as he looked at his wife.

"Yeah," Alice admitted. She picked up her wand and pointed it at Peter. "Stupefy!" Peter flew back and hit the wall. Alice's mouth dropped open, looking at Peter horrified.

"This is not good," Frank said as Remus jumped up and helped Peter from the floor.

"The wands shouldn't work unless one of us is in danger," Alice cried out as she jumped up and grabbed her purse. "We are all together and not in any obvious danger, so it has to be Lily."

"Lily's in danger?" James said jumping up. "We need to go find her, right now. Where would she have gone?"

"She said she was going shopping to get clothes," Alice said. "She'd probably go to the mall. It has the most diversified choices of clothing."

"What was she wearing when she left here?" Remus asked as they got ready to apparate to the mall.

"Her yellow sundress," Alice said. The group apparated to the parking lot of the mall not at all surprised to find it relatively empty for the hour.

"There is the rental car," Frank said pointing at the small car across the parking lot. The group ran to the car, surprised to find it unlocked and the keys still in the ignition. Alice jerked the car door open and looked around the driver's seat. Lily's purse was still on the front seat. James routed around in on the floor of the passenger seat, producing Lily's wand.

"Her wand," James said. He looked really worried. "She'd never go anywhere without her wand."

"No, she wouldn't," Remus agreed. Sirius pulled her shopping bag from the seat and pulled the yellow sundress from the bag.

"Isn't this the dress you said she was wearing when you last saw her?" Sirius asked. Alice nodded. James' eyes darkened with fear.

"I doubt she is running around naked," Frank said quickly. "I'm sure that she just changed her clothes."

"So, now, she's missing and we have no idea what she's wearing, where she is, or why she'd go without her wand," James said as he ran his hand through his hair in frustration. "We just know she's in danger, wherever she is."

"You don't think she's… dead… do you?" Alice cried. Sirius shook his head.

"It's Lily," Sirius said. "If she were dead, we'd have known."

"But we don't know where she is," Alice practically wept. "She could be dying as we speak."

"She'll be ok," James said insistently. "I just know she'll be ok."

"Who would have taken her?" Remus wondered aloud as Sirius began unpacking the shopping bag there on the trunk of the car. He hesitated as he looked in the bag, not really understanding what he was seeing. He glanced at Alice and Frank, uncertain, before he pulled out the bibs and jumpers.

"Congratulations?" Sirius said slowly to Alice. Alice looked at him, confused, as he held out the bibs and jumpers. Frank snatched them from Sirius.

"Thanks, Sirius," Frank said quickly. "We're keeping it quiet for now."

"Yeah," Alice replied quickly. She gave the others a look that let them know that the discussion was over with about the baby clothes for now.

"Severus," Peter said quietly.

"What?" The others said loudly.

"Severus is the only one who would get that close to her to take her but not kill her," Peter said raising his voice some. He looked at them. "He has a vendetta against her for screwing with his NEWTs."

"Do you know where he is?" James asked Alice.

"Why would I know?" Alice replied.

"Did Lily ever mention where he went when school was not in? They were close friends," James said quickly.

"Once upon a time ago," Alice countered. "They haven't been close for some time. This trip was supposed to rebuild their friendship."

"So, Severus would have known where Lily would be?" Remus asked. Alice nodded. She started crying in her hands.

"Shh," Frank coaxed to her, taking Alice in his arms. James patted her back.

"Alice, Lily's a big girl and she can handle herself," James assured her. "She'd hate that you were getting all upset, and in your condition. This kind of stress couldn't be good for you or the littlest future Longbottom." Alice burst into tears harder.

"Alice'll be fine once we find Lily," Frank promised.

"Could we just think of Lily and apparate to her?" Peter asked. James shook his head.

"We'd need to know where she was exactly… what was it that guy said? Destination, Determination, Deliberation?"

"Wasn't there four `D's'?" Sirius asked. The other boy shrugged.

"Back to Lily," Alice begged. "Come on, boys, let's focus."

"Could she have reactivated the wands and headed to Sydney, thinking that we'd all show up there?" Sirius asked.

"No," Alice said shaking her head. "I don't think so. Certainly she wouldn't have left behind her wand or luggage if she was going to, anyways."

"I… I think we should return back to the hotel and think this through," James said slowly. "No need to rush off to Sydney quite yet."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily awoke with a start, her revival having gone quite well. She tried to wipe her hair out of her face but found that she was being restrained by invisible restraints. Lord Voldemort stood above her, his eyes flashing with something animalistic as he stood there, his wand fixated on her. He looked serious, like he meant business.

"Ah, well it is good to see that my reviving skills haven't gone belly up without regular use," Lord Voldemort said with a cold, cruel laugh. The sound of it sent a shiver down Lily's spine.

"What do you want?" Lily asked as she struggled against the magical restraints.

"I want to know where Sirius Black is," Lord Voldemort said.

"I can't help you with that," Lily said.

"Can't or won't?" Lord Voldemort asked as he stepped closer to her. Lily turned her head from him, refusing to look at him. "You know I could just break into your mind and take the information from you."

"Something tells me that wouldn't be nearly as much fun for you," Lily said smartly, still not looking at him. She felt her body clench with fear as his hand cupped her face.

"Too right," Lord Voldemort said. He stepped back and pointed his wand at Lily. "Crucio."

Lily cried out, despite herself, the pain unimaginable as it ripped through her body. Lord Voldemort watched, almost bored, as her body twisted and bent in unimaginable ways. Lily was unable to breathe with the intensity of the pain, tears streaming down her face. She lay panting on the floor of his bed chamber, her back to him. Her palms were on the floor, under her forehead, as she tried to catch her breath.

"I… I'm not going to tell you anything," Lily said painting softly as she struggled to her feet slowly.

"Stupid girl," Lord Voldemort said. "Tell me where he is and you can walk out of here free."

"As if," Lily said as she stood there, barely able to stand on her own feet.

"Crucio!" Lord Voldemort said angrily. Lily felt as if she was being torn apart, limb from limb, though no actual harm was coming to her. Her screams, soul piercing and unbearable, echoed in the bed chambers. Lord Voldemort's laughter was barely audible over the shrill screams and shrieks of pain. He let her fall hard to the floor, her shallow breaths barely audible.

"I… will… never… tell… you…" Lily breathed as she struggled to her knees. Lord Voldemort paced a few minutes.

"Perhaps I am going about this the wrong way," he said after a moment. He smiled cruelly at her. "Imperio."

Lily felt detached from her body, as if she was herself standing just outside of her body. As herself, she couldn't understand what was being said. He must have known she'd be so detached from herself and not be able to answer any questions. She could feel herself reaching for the buttons of her dress, much to her horror. She struggled against his control, but Lord Voldemort was very powerful.

"No!" Lily silently screamed in her head as she stood before him wearing nothing but her undergarments. She struggled and succeeded at breaking the spell. "Stop!"

"Will you tell me what I need to know?" Lord Voldemort asked as he stepped forward with a look of business in his scarlet glowing eyes. He let his hand cup her face.

"No! Never!" Lily screamed at him, spitting in his face. Reactively he slapped her hard in the face, the sting of flesh from his back hand. As when Bella hit her, the sting had included the hue of blood in taste mingling with the saliva in her mouth.

"You do realize that if you do not tell me what I want to know, I will take you," Lord Voldemort said suggestively. Lily felt a lump forming in her throat but she fought back her tears.

"I will never betray my friends just to save myself," Lily said with conviction. "I'd rather die than betray them."

"There are things worse than death," Lord Voldemort promised as his hand slipped from her face. He loosened the belt on his robe, quite certain that she could see that he wore nothing below. Lily felt the sickly sour taste of bile creeping up her throat.

"I will never betray them," Lily said.

"Imperio," Lord Voldemort said. Lily was thankful for the next half hour being quite detached from her body.

Long after the curse was relinquished, Lily remained laying on the floor of Lord Voldemort's bed chamber. She was curled in a fetal position, shivering cold but unwilling to move. Long gone was that distant, detached feeling of the Imperio curse. Instead she could feel the sting and burn of the places the Dark Lord had once been. Lord Voldemort removed the silencing charm off the room, and summoned Severus Snape.

The young man stood at the door, uncertain, as his Dark Lord pulled himself up out of the bed. Without shame or modesty, he pulled his robe back on and covered himself. Lord Voldemort glanced at Lily, lying there on his floor before looking at Severus. Severus' eyes were trained on Lily. It took everything in Severus to pull his gaze from her and to look at Lord Voldemort.

"I think it is time for Vertiserum," Lord Voldemort said with slight defeat. "Apparently she is stronger than I thought."

"Yes, my lord," Severus said nodding once and leaving the room. Lord Voldemort swooped down and lifted Lily up as if she was weightless from the floor.

"You've been a good adversary, despite my intense techniques to extract information," Lord Voldemort said as he put her on the bed. He looked at her intently. "I bet Severus doesn't know about these."

Lily slowly glanced down to where Lord Voldemort placed his hand on her lower stomach. Lily shook her head, a tear slipping down her cheek. In a whispered voice she replied, "No."

"Do you think anyone will want you now?" Lord Voldemort asked her coldly as he forced her clothes in her hand.

"I don't care," Lily said quietly.

"Get dressed," Lord Voldemort said forcibly. "Maybe if you hide it long enough, Severus might save you from the shame of it."

When Severus returned with the Vertiserum, Lily was sitting numbly on the bed, fully dressed. She looked up at Severus with a vacant expression on her face and tears in her eyes. He was alone with her at the moment in the room; her hands grabbed the front of his robes.

"If you ever loved me," Lily whispered. "You'd kill me now."

"Lily, please," Severus begged as he rested his forehead against hers. He held up the bottle. "I have to do this."

"Please, Severus," Lily cried. He turned away, not wanting to see her cry. He glanced back, forcing her mouth open though she really didn't struggle against him, and administering a few drops of the Vertiserum. It wouldn't take long to go into effect and he'd summon Lord Voldemort. He waited and then decided to test it out.

"Lily, why don't you love me like you love James?" Severus asked. Lily sighed.

"I used to," Lily said. "But you chose the dark arts over me, and I could never be a part of this."

"Do you think you could ever leave James for me?" Severus asked.

"No," Lily said shaking her head. "I love him too completely, and I am pregnant with his babies."

"Babies?" Severus asked as his eyes fell on her rounding stomach, as if realizing the implication of the difference he noticed in her appearance.

"Twins, actually," Lily said simply. "Nine weeks."

"Oh, good," Lord Voldemort said as he looked at Lily. "It's working and has kicked in, though it's curious that you've not summoned me."

"I just wanted to check and make sure that it has kicked in properly," Severus said dropping her hand as he stood.

"Fantastic," Lord Voldemort said as he stooped to her level. "So, Lily, where is Sirius Black?"

"I don't know," Lily said quietly. "He and the others never showed up in Washington D.C. like they were supposed to."

"Where would they have gone if not to D.C. where you were?" Lord Voldemort asked. Lily shook her head.

"Sydney, Australia, the Embassy Hotel room 298. It was our next stop on the itinerary, but Severus would have already known that, being that he was originally going to go with me," Lily said quietly. "That is if they were even coming. I don't think they ever intended on coming with us, though they never said one way or another."

"Would you consider joining me if I promised your safety with an unbreakable vow?" Lord Voldemort asked. Lily shook her head.

"I'd rather die," Lily said. Lord Voldemort laughed cruelly.

"That can be arranged," he said. He signaled to Severus. "Take her back to the dungeon until I decide if there is anything more that I can do to, I mean with, her."

"Yes, my lord," Severus said as he took Lily by the arm. She looked at him, certain that she'd have killed him if she had her wand.

"I never wanted this for you, Lily," Severus said.

"Aren't I the lucky girl?" Lily said dully as she was placed behind the locked door. The Vertiserum was already beginning to wear off. With a loud metal clank, the door was locked and Lily watched as Severus put the key on a hook at the base of the wood steps. He glanced back at her as he started up the stairs to join the other Death Eaters. Finally alone, she vomited from the remembrance of his flesh touching hers.

-->