Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: So, anyways… anyway. Thanks for pointing out the whole gender mistake wording thing. I guess I should be paying more attention. Oh, there are plenty of errors in this one… and some crude humor, but that's boys for you. Sorry it's taking so long to update (longer than usual). I'm working on two stories at the same time, so it seems that one always suffers in the updates.

Disc.: This, I am borrowing for my own entertainment (the characters). ALL ERRORS are mine. Oops.

***

Chapter Twenty Three

The seventh year students had decided the best way to keep the younger kids in line was for the seventh year Gryffindor students to take up permanent residence in the common room, their books spread over the prime tables and the best chairs taken. They had midterms coming up and the noise of the littler kids was getting annoying even in small doses. Alice and Frank were hunched over one book, trying to figure out a transfiguration theory. James and Sirius, while supposed to be studying switching potions, they were playing tic-tac-toe.

"Lily, I am so sorry," Remus was saying as he followed the girl into the common room. James looked up to see them walking towards them. Lily was holding ice to her forehead.

"What happened?" James asked curiously.

"Stupid Peeves threw a piece of armor at Lily," Remus said as he moved the ice to look at Lily's forehead. A knot was forming above her eye.

"Then why are you sorry?" James asked as he took a look at it. Lily laughed.

"Tell him, Remus," Lily pressed. Remus blushed.

"I screamed… like a girl," Remus said.

"And…?" Lily encouraged.

"And ran the other way," Remus said scowling. "That stupid poltergeist scares me." James and Sirius laughed.

"What I wouldn't have given to see that," Sirius laughed as he clutched his sides. Lily shook her head.

"It was weird, though, because usually Peeves is proud of his attacks on students, and normally he avoids attacking prefects," Lily said as took a seat. Lily yawned.

"Yeah, I thought so too," Remus said. "It wasn't Peeve's normal MO but what else could it have been?"

"I doubt that the suits of armor would throw themselves at me," Lily said. James grinned.

"I would if I was a suit of armor," James said. Lily shook her head and rolled her eyes.

"You're so corny," Lily said. She stretched. "Well, I'm heading up to bed."

"You can't," Alice said quickly as she looked up from her book. Lily frowned. "You can't go to sleep. What if you have a concussion or something?"

"Alice has a point," Remus said. Lily scrunched her nose.

"But I'm tired," Lily whined. Sirius laughed.

"Too bad, so sad," Sirius said. Lily crossed her arms and sat back against the chair, pouting. "You'd better put the ice back on your head, Lils. You'd hate to get all bruised up and ugly."

"James would still want her," Remus reminded as Lily rolled her eyes again and placed the bag against her forehead. She was grumbling under her breath.

"Do you want to study with us for mid terms?" James asked. Lily shook her head.

"I said that I was tired," Lily grumbled. James shook his head.

"You really must have a concussion, if you don't want to study," James said. Lily made a face at him and stuck out her tongue as Professor McGonagall came in the common room.

"So I see the complaints are true," Professor McGonagall said shaking her head. "With the Heads involved too… for shame."

"What'd we do now?" James asked as he glared at the little group of first years that were standing near Professor McGonagall.

"You're taking up prime studying real-estate when you know the first years are not allowed out of the common room earlier than you," Professor McGonagall said. The boys looked at one another, shrugging.

"She means we need to find another place to study," yawned Lily as she stood. James caught her by the hand as she tried to head off to the girls dormitory.

"Not so fast," James said shaking his head. "We're moving his little studying party to the seventh year boys' dormitory."

"Man," Lily grumbled as she watched the others scoop their books and papers under Professor McGonagall's watchful eye, occasionally tossing a scathing glare at the little first years that were still cowering near the ankles of the formidable woman.

The boys' dormitory was clean, for a change, and the boys conjured up oversized poufs for everyone to sit on while they studied. James was sitting in the pouf closest to his bed, his back leaning against the frame. Lily walked to the window, looking out as the others went back and forth with techniques and theories. James looked over at Lily, who was sitting by the window.

"Hey, whatcha looking at?" James asked as he came up next her. Lily sighed.

"Nothing," Lily said as she stood. She looked at James, her arms behind her back as she struggled with her bra. "This damn thing is so uncomfortable sometimes, you know."

"No, I don't know," James smirked as Lily pulled a lacy white bra from her now disheveled button up dress. She laughed and folded it up, placing it next to her.

"Well, trust me, they are," Lily said yawning. "Alice, when do you think I can just go to bed or something? When do you think that I am no longer at risk for a concussion?"

"A few more hours," Alice said distractedly as she checked a theory against what she had written.

"Don't you need to study?" Peter asked quietly as he frantically flipped through his Magical Maladies and Potions book.

"It's Lily Evans," Sirius laughed. "What do you think? She's memorized every book in the magical world."

"No, I haven't," Lily said shaking her head as she headed away from James. "What do you need help with Peter?"

"Everything, as usual," Peter sighed dejectedly. Lily sat down on the floor next to him and pulled the book from Peter's lap.

"Ok, let's start from the beginning," Lily said. She quietly went over the different theories and methodologies. Peter listened carefully, trying to keep his eyes off any part of Lily except her face. James shot him a look, the fat little boy's face turning pink. Peter shifted another one of his books over his lap, completely unnoticed by Lily.

Lily stood finally, stretching. She mentioned something about snacks, much to Sirius' appreciation. Sirius jumped up and offered to join Lily on the trip down to the kitchens. Lily nodded glad that she wouldn't have to carry back all that the others were asking for on her own. She glanced at James, who seemed to be watching her carefully.

"Would you rather come or go?" Lily asked. James shook his head.

"No, just…" James said as his cheeks went pink.

"It's the bra thing, isn't it?" Lily asked. James shook his head again. "Look, I have a tee shirt on under this dress shirt, and it's not like I'm going around shaking them in anyone's face."

"I wouldn't mind," Sirius teased. James rolled his eyes.

"Should you be wandering around with a concussion?" James asked. Lily laughed.

"I don't have a concussion," Lily said. "I'm tired, cranky, and such, but I don't have concussion. Why don't you just go, ok?"

"No, it's ok," James said. "I was being silly."

"Fine, well," Lily said. "I'll go get the snacks with Sirius and then I am going to go take a long, hot shower."

"Wouldn't a cold one be better?" Sirius teased as the two headed out of the dormitory.

"Not everyone walks around with a massive hard-on in their pants," Lily smirked as she closed the door.

"You noticed, did you?" Sirius laughed loudly.

James looked over at Remus, who shrugged. Frowning, James looked back at his books, scribbling notes and wondering what was taking them so much time. James figured it was ten minutes down to the kitchens, five minutes to get through the house elves, and then ten minutes back to the dormitory. So, when thirty minutes passed, James began to get worried. Forty minutes passed, James began pacing the room and straining to hear the sounds of footsteps on the stairs.

"Where have you…" James started as the door opened and the two of them entered the dormitory room. Sirius was struggling under a heavy tray of food, glaring at Lily who was covered from head to toe in some creamy color substance.

"You could have charmed this lighter for me," Sirius said as he practically dropped it on the small table Remus had conjured.

"You could have refrained from coating me in pudding," Lily said shaking her head.

"For the last time, I told you that I didn't do it," Sirius said. Lily looked at him skeptically. She shook her head, her face red with anger and embarrassment.

"You and I were the only ones in that hallway outside of the kitchen," Lily said pulling out her wand. "I'm heading to the shower."

With that, Lily was gone with a trail of pudding following her out the door. James looked at Sirius who was now readying to eat some thick piece of chocolate cake, Sirius conjuring a fork and a plate to eat them. Sirius looked at James, his mouth full of cake.

"I swear, I don't know how she got covered with pudding," Sirius said as little crumbs sprayed. Peter screwed his face up, disgusted. "She was walking behind me."

"Peeves?" Remus asked. Sirius shrugged.

"I don't know," Sirius said. "I didn't hear or see him."

"I'll talk to the Bloody Baron tomorrow about him," James said as he helped himself to some lemon bar thing. "Too bad Lily left. I was looking forward to eating desert off of her."

"With, you mean?" Peter said. James grinned and shook his head.

"Nope, I meant off," James said. The others laughed as Peter just looked painfully confused.

They all looked up, glad to see that Lily had returned. She was still damp and warm from her shower, shivering slightly in her shorts and tank top as she walked into the room. She stood at the tray, frowning then looked over at Sirius.

"You ate my cake," Lily said.

"No, I'm eating your cake," Sirius said. Lily frowned again.

"Boy, you'd better give me my cake or I'll turn you into a Slytherin jock strap," Lily threatened. Sirius stopped mid bite and put the fork down. Lily stalked over to Sirius and took the plate from him. He pouted and Lily shook her head, climbing into James' bed.

"Don't get crumbs in the bed," James mumbled as he flipped the page. Lily didn't answer him as she pulled out her wand and conjured a thick book, it landing softly on the bed next to her. Occasionally, she would answer questions that her friends had about theories but mostly she read alone in James' bed.

Some point after midnight, the seventh years called it quits and decided to head off to bed. One by one, they packed up their books and stood, stretching. Alice glanced over at Lily, laughing. Lily had fallen asleep, the book still open. James walked over to his bed, closed the book, and shook her shoulder.

"Hmm-mn," Lily mumbled as she rolled over away from the edge, clutching James' pillow. "Go away."

"Lily, you have to wake up and go to bed," James said.

"I'm in bed," Lily groaned as she snuggled deeper in the covers.

"You're in my bed," James said. "You need to go to your bed."

"I hate you," Lily mumbled as she made a rude gesture over her shoulder. She didn't even roll over.

"You love me," James whispered in her ear. "Now, you do need to go to your own bed because I've been sitting here for hours undressing you with my eyes for hours. If I have to share a bed with you I would be tempted."

"So?" Lily breathed with a shiver.

"So," James said as his hand touched her shoulder. He kissed her neck.

"Fine," Lily sighed as she rolled over to look at him. "I'd not say no, though." James made a pained face.

"I know," James said reluctantly. "Come on, girly girl. Outa my bed, ok?"

"One of these days James," Lily said as she stretched; now standing in front of him. "I'm not going to offer. I am going to take."

"Not until our wedding night," James said as though he was losing his reserve. Lily smiled and kissed his mouth, her body pressed against his.

"So you say now," Lily taunted. "I bet if you found me splayed upon your bed in my birthday suit, you'd not say no."

"I'd not say no either!" Sirius cheered. Lily laughed.

"Good night boys," Lily said waving as she joined Alice.

"Fucking tease!" Sirius called as the door closed behind them. Sirius looked at James who was in the process of stripping his shirt off. Sirius tossed James a tube of Master Alaster's Knobbing Lube.

"What's this for?" James asked as he held up the half-used tube.

"Your hand," Sirius smirked. "Don't forget a silencing charm."

James rolled his eyes and threw the tube back to Sirius before climbing into bed. James was tempted, certainly, but any knobbing he'd do, he'd do it alone when no one else would know about it. He tended to get… ahem… loud, even when alone. James clicked the light out by his bed and gazed at the ceiling for a while before he realized that he was way too worked up to sleep.

"Where are you going?" Sirius mumbled as James pulled on his tee shirt.

"For a walk," James whispered in the darkness.

"Do you want company?" Sirius asked. He snickered. "I can lend you a hand."

"Better watch out," James taunted. "I might take you up on that one of these days."

"Why don't you and Lily just do it?" Sirius asked as he propped himself up on his arm. James pulled out his wand and the Marauder's map.

"She told me a while back she wanted to wait until she got married," James said as he sat on the edge of Sirius' bed. "I'm just trying to respect that, even though she keeps acting like she wants it now."

"Awe, to be so desired," Sirius laughed. "Have a nice walk and here you go, lover boy. Love yourself, you smell like you're in heat."

"Hey," James squealed as Sirius slipped the tube in his pocket. "You could have just handed it to me."

"You know me," Sirius chuckled. "Always pushing boundaries."

James headed out of the dormitory and through the common room. Activating the map, James took a peek around the castle. Every little dot and label was in their dormitory rooms where they belonged. James was about to put the map away when he saw too dots far from where they ought to be at this early morning hour. Pulling on his cloak of invisibility, James took off toward the Divination Room. He slowed his pace and regained control over his breathing. He crept along as he heard voices up ahead.

"That's not exactly what I meant," a voice whispered in a barely audible voice. James recognized the voice immediately as Severus Snape's voice.

"I wasn't exactly aiming straight, you know. There were other people always there to contend with," the other person said. James frowned. Narcissa Black and Severus Snape, while both Slytherin, James didn't picture them as the type to meet in a secluded staircase in the middle of the night.

"That's alright, Cissy," Severus said. James couldn't see them, so he had to imagine what was going on.

"What's that?" Narcissa breathed excitedly.

"That is phase two," Severus told her. "Fool proof."

"Is it what I think it is?" Narcissa asked. Severus must have nodded, James decided, because Narcissa continued to talk. "But how did you get it? Isn't it rare?"

"Rare only because it is illegal in this strength," Severus said. Narcissa laughter echoed quietly in the barren stairwell. "This is pure, undiluted and very, very potent."

"So how do you plan on… you know?" Narcissa asked.

"Don't you worry about it," Severus said. "It's already in the process of being distributed."

"Is there any danger of it coming back to you?" Narcissa asked. James could hear them coming closer, and he panicked as he backed down the stairs.

"No," Severus said as James, hidden under his cloak, pressed against the wall to keep from being detected. "No one will ever know it was me that is except for you. You need to be careful though because there is no antidote."

"Is it really that dangerous?" Narcissa asked.

"No unless you mind a filthy Gryffindor squirming between your legs, Cissy," Severus Snape said as the two of them disappeared around the corner. James was tempted to follow them but Mrs. Norris had appeared, her piercing yellow eyes trained on James. James wasn't slated for patrol, and would be hard pressed to explain being out of bed at this hour to Filch if he was found.

Running for his life, James ran back to the Gryffindor common room and headed up to his dormitory, flicking on the lights. Sirius groaned loudly as James threw himself into the bed, panting hard.

"Jeeze, Prongs," Sirius said pushing him away. "You're all hot and sweaty, and panting like crazy. You couldn't finish up before climbing into my bed?"

"No," James panted, gasping for breath.

"You want me to finish you off?" Sirius asked frowning. James shook his head hard.

"No, Snape," James gasped, a stitch in his side.

"You want Snape to finish you off? Kinky," Sirius said. "He wouldn't need lube, just rub his hair with his hand."

"No, he's up to no good," James said breathlessly as he finally caught his breath.

"When is he not?" Sirius said. James quickly retold the whole story. Sirius frowned, listening as Remus listened silently from his own bed. Even Frank was listening. The only other sound in the dorm was the rhythmic snores of Peter.

"So, we need to be worried, don't we?" Frank asked. James shrugged.

"I just don't know," James said. "I didn't see what Snape had. I just heard them talking."

"You don't think it has to do with his sick obsession with Lily, do you?" Remus asked quietly. James frowned.

"He's obsessed with Lily?" James asked.

"Didn't you know?" Remus asked. "They've known each other since they were eight."

"No," James said frowning. "She's never mentioned much about anything like that."

"They had a falling out a few months ago, and Lily re-confirmed her lack of desire for him to be more than friends not too long ago," Remus said shaking his head. "How can you not know this about your girlfriend?"

"I don't know," James said. He shook his head. "You don't think he'd hurt her do you?"

"I don't know," Remus said shrugging. "I've never seen him inclined to violence, you know."

"Well, I'm worried," Sirius said shaking his head. "Who knows what that sadistic bastard is up to? I mean we can be mean, but it's in good fun."

"Should we worn Lily and Alice?" Frank asked. The other boys shrugged.

"I'd hate to worry them if there is nothing to worry about," James said. "Maybe for now, we should just keep an eye on Snape, and your cousin, Sirius."

"Sounds like a plan," the others said. James stretched as he pulled himself off Sirius' bed.

"Well, if you don't mind," James said as he held up the tube Sirius had given him. "I have some things to handle before I head to bed."

"That's my boy!" Sirius laughed. "Always willing to take matters into your own hands."

-->