Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: I am just too excited to hold this chapter back, especially since I have to re-work eight and nine to be a little more understandable. So, on the heels of chapter six… here is chapter seven. Remember to review and tell me what you liked/didn't like.

Disclaimer: I am just borrowing the characters for a while. I'll give `em back!

***

Chapter Seven

James checked his watch on his way to detention. He hated that he was going to have to spend an entire hour and a half or so with twenty or so people who were probably going to be very angry with him because in a fit of anger, he had given plenty of the detentions out to them. Severus raised an eyebrow at him as James walked in the classroom with a cruel sneer and for a moment James felt an urge to pull his wand. James took a deep breath and had a sat. Professor Sprout was there, her hat off centered and a smudge of dirt on her cheek even though classes had been over since four.

"Alright, are we all here? Good, off to the greenhouses," Professor Sprout said as she opened the door to the classroom. James looked up to see a nearly breathless Sirius standing there with an apologetic smile on his face.

"Sorry I'm late," Sirius said as he walked into the classroom.

"Don't take a seat," Professor Sprout said to Sirius. James watched Sirius nod at her. "We'll be working in the greenhouses for this detention. Follow me, and don't think about slipping out behind me."

James looked at Sirius as they walked with the others out the classroom usually used for detention but didn't say anything to him. They walked in silence through the castle and across the school grounds, James hating that they weren't talking. He could feel his soul reaching out to Sirius, screaming to him in a lost sort of way. Sirius was like his arm. Sirius turned to James, almost as if her could feel James' desire to patch things up. Sirius raised an eyebrow in James' direction before turning and following the others through the greenhouse doors. James took his normal place in the greenhouse and was surprised to see Sirius take his seat across from him. Sirius shrugged nonchalantly.

"Alright boys and girls," Professor Sprout said. "Tonight we are going to de-thorn Bramble Nettles, and I daresay don't turn you back on them."

James looked at the docile little plant in front of him skeptically. He glanced up at Sirius who had the same look of amusement on his face. These Bramble Nettles looked harmless as house plants. James raised his hand, but it went ignored by Professor Sprout who had her back facing them while she handed out gloves and spades. She nodded at him when she finally came to their side.

"What plants are Bramble Nettles most related to?" James asked curiously as the plant just sat there without a care in the world. He didn't really care about the plants origins but hoped that by talking, it would snap him and Sirius out of this quarrel that they seemed to be in at the moment.

"Devil's Snare, of course," Professor Sprout said. She addressed the class. "And should you be bitten by the plant, there will be no potion to relieve your ailing. You may thank Mr. Filch for that."

"Of course," James said. He looked up at Sirius frowning. James sighed, knowing that being forward was the only way to handle this. It wasn't that he was scared, he just couldn't stand to be rejected by Sirius. Lily was one thing, he expected it from Lily, but if Sirius rejected him he would be devastated. He might even fly his broom off a cliff. He cleared his throat. "So, um, do you want me to hold while you cut or vice versa?"

"Are we talking again?" Sirius asked him rather standoffishly. James looked at Sirius miserably, as if he couldn't stand another moment in silence with his best friend.

"Not to sound like a complete pussy, but I hate when we don't get along," James said sadly. "You're the closest thing to a brother that I have ever had." Sirius grinned like the Cheshire cat.

"Maybe you two should kiss now that you've made up," Severus taunted from his side of the greenhouse. James and Sirius both shot him a dirty look but knew it was futile to retaliate quite yet. Professor Sprout wouldn't take kindly to the lot of them shooting curses here and there.

"What does she see in him as a friend?" Sirius asked James as he looked at the plant. James shrugged, wondering the same thing. "Well, it looks harmless enough. What say you? I'll hold while you extract."

"Ok," James said as Sirius hesitantly gripped the pot. "I talked to Remus and Peter. They're coming tonight to meet with Lily in the room of requirement."

"I think he needs to stay and hatch it out with her. I hate when there is awkwardness between any of us. Of course that doesn't apply to you and Lily, there will always be awkwardness between you too, but anyhow," Sirius said. The plant began to struggle back against Sirius. It suddenly turned from a docile little plant to a snapping, biting plant with long tentacles with thorns. It slashed and jerked at James, biting him on the neck and scratching at his face. Sirius felt the thing scratching at him through his sleeve. Detention couldn't have ended any quicker for the two boys.

"You're bleeding all over your shirt," James said as he pointed at the torn sleeve and the scratches along Sirius' arms. Sirius was scowling at James as he dabbed his handkerchief at his arm.

"So are you," Sirius said as he pointed to James' neck and shoulder. "Stupid plant. I hope that I never have that kind of detention again." James touched his neck and cringed. It wasn't a deep cut, just a stinging one.

"Well, I think we are running late enough. We don't have time to stop and get cleaned up, plus I doubt that anyone would help us in the hospital wing, since we got these during detention and not Quidditch," James said as they headed quickly toward the room of requirement. Sirius and James were quite familiar with the room, have found it their second year and spent many rainy days in there.

"Hello," James said as he walked into the room. Lily was sitting at a table in the middle of the room, her head bent over a stack of papers and books that she was working on. He had never seen such large or old books and many had sinister looking covers. One book seemed to be pulsating while another seemed to be bleeding slightly from its spine. Lily barely glanced up.

"You're late, but as you can see, so is everyone else," Lily said as she put the quill down. She looked up at James and Sirius and frowned. "What have you two done to each other?"

"Nothing, it's just an incidental of our detention," James said grinning as he brushed off her concern. He felt his chest swell with pride that she was concerned about him and his well being.

"We kissed and made up," Sirius said proudly as he slung his arm around James' shoulder. He was grinning at her. Lily sighed and picked up a box that had magically appeared on the table.

"Come here and let me look at that, ok?" Lily said as two extra chairs appeared. James and Sirius joined her at the table. James tried to get a look at the books that Lily was working on but she shoved her papers over them in a hurry to spread out her medical supplies.

"We really shouldn't have you look at them. Injury is part of the detention, I think," James said as he sat down and turned his attention from the books to the papers. Funny drawings and incantations seemed to be scrawled and crossed out all over them. It really stirred his curiosity.

"That sounds like something Mr. Filch would have thought up," Lily said as she unbuttoned his shirt quickly. James quickly tore his gaze from the papers to Lily, then he shot Sirius a look, a perverted smile crossed his face.

"Should I step out a bit? You do that rather quickly and well," Sirius joked. Lily glanced at him and grinned as she brushed some of her hair behind her ear.

"I've had lots of practice taking men's shirts off," Lily teased as she poured some alcohol on a square of cotton. "It'll sting."

"You have had a lot of… OUCH!" James said jumping. He couldn't believe how much it did sting, and he momentarily forgot the smart ass comment he was going to make about Lily's skills as an undresser of men. Sirius laughed hysterically.

"Big baby," Lily teased as she blew on it to cool the sting and dry the alcohol. Sirius laughed again at James' scowl and she glanced at him. "Your next, Chuckles."

James watched as she gently touched his skin blotting up the blood and sap that seemed to ooze, the shivers that ran through his flesh. James looked at the way she made a little pucker with her mouth when she was working hard. He had noticed before, but with them being so close, he could readily see the most intimate details. James noticed that she had long, dark lashes that lidded her green eyes. Her eyes, though, weren't just green. James could see flecks of gold around the pupils that gave her eyes that certain sparkle. James felt light headed, as if he was a bit high, and a little breathless.

"Would you mind if I kissed you?" James said in a breathless sort of way. Lily practically fell back off her chair. She had this look of shock on her face, her mouth slightly open.

"I thought that you weren't chasing me this year," Lily said as she turned toward the table, hiding her face behind a curtain of loose hair that had spill over her shoulder. She glanced back at James, pursing her lips in disapproval. For a moment, James was certain he saw something else there in her look.

"I'm not," James said shrugging. He laughed nervously and stood, pushing Sirius into the chair. "Sorry, I don't know what I was thinking. Must be the injuries."

"Don't hurt me. I don't want to ask you for a kiss either," Sirius warned playfully. Lily shoved him hard in the shoulder. James scowled at Sirius for making a joke. Lily laughed as Alice and Frank came in the room. Alice shot Lily a curious look as James quickly retreated to a window. James kept his back on Lily and the others, as he looked over the grounds. He felt foolish, his stomach clenched uncomfortably. He couldn't believe that he had asked her for a kiss and in front of Sirius no doubt.

"What did you get yourself into now?" Remus asked as he entered. James looked up, grateful for more people to pull the focus away from his blunder.

"Detention," Lily said stiffly as she looked up at him. James saw Remus' apologetic look to Lily, but he gave it too late. She had already turned away from Sirius, and was no longer looking at Remus.

James tried to pay attention to what Lily was talking about and to be a part of her plans for the festival, but he couldn't focus. His mind wasn't under his control. He was looking at her, certainly, and not in that vacant way he sometimes stared off into space with, but he was focused on the way her mouth moved when she talked. It was distracting. She grinned, looking at him.

"James?" Lily questioned as she made him look at her.

"I was paying attention," James lied. He grinned at her.

"Not to what I was saying," Lily said as she crossed her arms. She laughed. "I was asking you if you thought that you can handle the food and drink since Sirius can't be trusted with food."

"I am not some wild animal that has an insatiable hunger," Sirius defended which caused Peter to burst out laughing. Lily cocked her head to the side slightly confused, but she shook her head. James fought the laughter, knowing Lily didn't know about Sirius being a dog at will.

"I need you on games, Sirius," Lily said. She turned to James. "I need you to be on food detail."

"Can you say that again?" James asked.

"I need you…" Lily started.

"Stop," James said grinning. "That's all I wanted to hear." He crossed his arms and looked at her smugly. Lily looked at him in surprise. Sirius rolled his eyes, grinning at James' corniness.

"Um," Lily said quietly. Sirius kicked James under the table.

"Yeah, I can plan the food. All that medieval food," James replied as he rubbed his shin. "I can manage."

"Good to hear that you're on board," Lily said as she turned away from him. James made an effort to listen to her, but he failed. He would have to ask Remus later what she was going on about. He looked over at Remus and watched him a moment.

Whereas Remus had been tired looking just a few days before, he looked energized and eager. He was hanging on to Lily's every word and suddenly, as if hit upside the head, James had a realization. Remus liked Lily. James suddenly felt ill. James couldn't believe that Remus liked Lily in the same way that James liked Lily. James frowned.

"You look confused," Lily said as she touched James' shoulder when she passed by him. James tilted his head back to look at her walk behind him.

"Just thinking," James said. Lily touched his hair absentmindedly. James breathed in sharply, uncertain if she was aware of what that did to him. She obviously didn't, otherwise she would have ceased all touching and retreated as if on fire.

"Don't hurt yourself," Sirius teased.

"Anything you want to share with the planning committee?" Lily asked as she finally took a seat at the table, having worked off some of her nervous energy.

"No, not really," James said as he raised an eyebrow. He made another face. The more he thought about Lily and Remus, the more strange he felt.

"You look like you're going to be sick," Lily said concerned. "We should call it closed for today and perhaps meet on Thursday, if it is ok with your Quidditch practices."

"It's good," James said as he and the others rose to leave. Lily nodded.

"Good," Lily said. "I'll see you then."

"Good night," they called. James glanced back at Lily to see Remus hanging back from the others who were leaving. James felt his stomach clench painful as he watched the door swing closed, two minutes too late. The last glimpse he had of Lily that night was Lily putting her arms around Remus.

James waited up for Remus that night, not because he was a good friend concerned if Remus got in well but because he wanted assurance that there was nothing beyond friendship between Remus and Lily. He rubbed his forehead, the words of the book he was attempting to read blurring before him. Remus practically skipped into their dorm room, not caring that they had class in the morning.

"I told her everything," Remus said as he bound on top of James' comforter. James' book bounced off the bed making a large thud on the floor.

"Huh?" James asked.

"I told Lily about the Centaurs and the Shrieking Shack," Remus said in one quick breath. He was grinning ear to ear, his sandy brown hair hanging in his eyes. He brushed it away. "I stopped short of telling her the Marauder's involvement and what not, but I told her just about everything else."

"What?" Sirius asked sleepily from his bed. His hair was plastered to one side of his face from sweat and probably a bit of drool.

"I didn't tell her about any of you, but I told her the rest," Remus said merrily. "She was pissed as hell, naturally, but she could understand why I kept the rest from her. What's the matter, James? I thought that you would be happy that I apologized for my actions and that we are all friends again."

"I am," James said as he chewed his fingernail for a moment. He had torn the nail free, the quick was bleeding.

"Then, what is it?" Remus asked.

"Do you like her?" James asked quietly. Remus looked at him confused.

"Of course I do. She is my best female friend," Remus said. James shook his head.

"I don't mean like that. I mean do you like her?" James asked as he met Remus' eyes. James knew the answer before Remus said a word. It was all in the way Remus looked away.

"I mean, I don't know, you know," Remus said. "It's Lily. Our Lily."

"Our Lily?" Sirius asked as he sat up in bed, the covers falling to his waist.

"You know what I mean," Remus said quickly.

"No, I don't," James said as annoyance slipped into his voice. "Perhaps… perhaps you should explain it to me."

"Uh," Remus started. He rubbed his temple a minute, as if trying to rub the words into some sort of order that would make sense, be the truth, and not get him excommunicated from the seventh year boys' dormitory. "

"Alright, so?" Sirius pushed. Remus shot him a nasty look.

"So…" Remus started as he tried to figure out how to put it all into words. James had his arms crossed and he was leaning back away from Remus.

"Don't be hard on him, James," Peter yawned sleepily from his bed. "As cozy as Sirius and Lily were this afternoon, I doubt that Remus is your biggest competition."

"What?" James snapped as he looked at Sirius.

"You knew we talked," Sirius defended.

"You two were inside the same coat," yawned Peter as he turned his back to him. "It was rather interesting how you both must have been touching to fit under your coat."

"I made it bigger with a spell, and what was I to do? She's the one who walked to Hogsmeade without a coat! I couldn't very well let her freeze to death on the walk back," Sirius said.

"You were in Hogsmeade together?" James roared. "I mean do I need to worry about you and Lily too?"

"No, of course not!" Sirius said angrily. "You're my best mate. I'd never!"

"What about you, Remus?" James asked as he looked over at Remus with his eyes glowering.

"I like her, James. I really do," Remus said forcefully. He refused to back down.

"Well, damn it! I like her too," James swore. Remus lowered his head.

"I don't think you have anything to worry about when it comes to me and Lily, James," Remus said. "That ship sailed three years ago. She doesn't like me like that, anymore."

Without another word, James watched as Remus climbed free of James' bed and headed to his own bed, a shell of the man he had been just hours before. He had always wondered if anything more had ever happened between Remus and Lily. Now James knew. Oh, what he wouldn't give to never know that at one time, even if it was three years ago, Lily had liked Remus as much as Remus liked her.

-->