Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Thank you for all of your reviews. I hope that this confuses and delights each and every one of you. Because I made you all wait an entire weekend, I am releasing this back to back to chapter five. Enjoy.

Disclaimer: Just maiming the characters a bit… for my own evil plan. (J/K… they'll be fine!)

***

Chapter Six

Lily pulled on her white camisole, her jeans were already buttoned. She shivered and she pulled on her sweatshirt. It was getting cooler now, certainly, and she could feel it all over the castle. Her tennis shoes were soundless as she walked down the stairs from the girls dormitories, heading to breakfast. She joined the other kids queuing to leave the common room for breakfast. She wasn't in any hurry to get to there.

She felt like she had been researching forever, though she felt no closer to any answers. She had nearly been late for the Quidditch match because of her research. Then there was the meeting with Professor Dumbledore. It was a measly few hours before, but the stress of the importance made Lily feel as if she were carrying a ten pound weight at the end of each limb. She had agreed to his request, though she didn't understand why he asked her.

"Lily, you're trust worthy and you will accomplish it easily," Professor Dumbledore had said as she sat in his office the day before.

"He's not going to tell me that information," Lily said shaking her head.

"You underestimate what a little potion can do to tip the scales," Professor Dumbledore said as he winked at her. "You are imaginative, Lily. I know that you can do this."

Lily had sprinted to the pitch, barely making it to her seat before the teams came out. She was happy that she had, because it wouldn't have been forgivable if the head girl had missed her house team's big win. She watched James closely, never realizing how determined he could look when he wanted something. Lily had laughed. She should know that look. He always wore it when he asked her out.

Lily shook her head of the previous day's events. Today was today, and she was starved. The great hall was in its normal uproar, the students eating and chatting merrily. The enchanted ceiling was a whirl with wind and gray clouds, and for once Lily was glad she didn't need to go outside. She huddled deeper in her sweat shirt; brushing her hair behind her shoulder and continued to walk between the tables. Her eyes fell on the Marauders, who were looking like a right sad bunch of boys. Lily took her place beside Alice, glancing at Remus and James as she sat down.

"Are we still on for tutoring today?" Lily asked as she broke the silence that seemed to have built up stone walls around the boys. James looked over at her with a confused look on his face. He seemed a million miles away, lost in a sea of his own thoughts.

"Yeah, why wouldn't we?" James asked as he glanced at his watch. He jumped up in a panic. "We're going to be late."

"Late for what?" asked Lily as James pulled her by the hand to her feet. "I've just sat down for breakfast."

"McGonagall asked to see us at eight. It's already ten after eight," James said as he forced a stack of toast in Lily's hand and pulled her by the hand from the great hall.

"I can't believe she told you and not me," Lily said before shoving a piece of toast in her mouth. Lily wished she had something to wash it down with, but she resolved that she wouldn't be a minute later than they already were.

"Well, I was the first person she ran into this morning," James said as they stopped at Professor McGonagall's office door. Lily knocked on the door. The Professor opened the door, and had them enter. Lily glanced down at the slices of toast still in her hands. She slipped them into James' pocket when Professor McGonagall turned her back on them. James shot her a look, but he grinned.

"I'm glad to see that telling James hasn't made you too late," Professor McGonagall said as she gestured to the two seats. James sat down once Lily had taken a seat.

"Professor, sorry," Lily said quickly. "If I'd only known sooner, we would have been here on time. Or at least I would have been here on time. I can't answer for James."

"It's fine," Professor McGonagall said. "What I've called you here is about the morale of the students. I know that it may be hard for you to discuss it, Lily, but there are quite a many students who have suffered through what you've suffered through. I know with your N.E.W.T.S. coming up at the end of the year you are quite busy, but I think that maybe some morale boosting activities might really be in order." Lily looked away quickly, catching herself before she said anything.

"For all?" James asked quickly. "So not to single out anyone student?"

"Yes," Professor McGonagall said. Lily frowned. She didn't really need to get involved in any more activities, but the professor was right. It was difficult for her to even think about her parents, much less discuss it, but as the head girl, it was her duties to lead and to have others follow. Lily knew she had to fulfill her duty, even if it was a difficult.

"Perhaps, a festival of sorts?" suggested Lily slowly. She looked up at Professor McGonagall for guidance. "Maybe a celebration of life, to be celebrated on Halloween? We can ask Professor Dumbledore to cancel classes that day; the festival will last all day and lead up to the Halloween feast."

"I like your idea," James said nodding eagerly. Lily looked at James with a confused look. She wasn't expecting James to support her decision, but she knew she should have because he was a party enthusiast at heart.

"As do I," a voice said from behind them. Lily and James turned to see their kind headmaster standing there with his sparkling blue eyes. "It sounds like a perfect plan."

"And, cancelling classes?" inquired Lily sneakily. She knew that he would probably agree, if nothing more than to possibly achieve the goals set forth. Professor Dumbledore nodded.

"I think the other professors can surrender a single day of education for the greater good of the students," Professor Dumbledore said quietly. He looked to Professor McGonagall, who promptly nodded. "Then it is settled. Whatever you like, Lily, it is all yours."

"Thank you," Lily said with a slightly confused look on her face. "May we go?"

"Of course, of course," Professor Dumbledore said waving them out of the office. Lily and James left, James turning to Lily as the turned the corner of the hall.

"So, what help do you need from me?" James asked eager to serve her. Lily smiled and shrugged.

"I'm not sure," Lily said quietly. "Do you think you can get Sirius, Remus, and Peter to help? Alice and Frank will be more than happy to help us."

"Yeah, well," James said as he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. "The thing is… we aren't exactly getting along right at the moment. You're going to have to talk to them."

"That explains the awkwardness at breakfast. Well, in case you haven't noticed, Remus doesn't really want to talk to me much now either, does he?" replied Lily as she stopped to examine a miscellaneous painting of fruit. Lily kept her back to him, not wanting to show him how upset she was. She wasn't even sure why she was upset. Maybe it was the stress of yet another thing to do.

"Ah, well, things haven't exactly been easy for Remus this year," James explained. Lily spun around on him, anger and hurt scrolled on her face.

"And they've been a walk in the park for me?" cried Lily angrily.

"No, but," James started, startled. Lily stopped him. She didn't want to get into any kind of conversation with him right then.

"I'll see you in classroom B in the dungeons at half past noon, alright?" snapped Lily. She stalked off without saying another word. She needed to get away from the castle, but she knew it would be foolish to head off campus without her cape as the wind was really picking up out there and it seemed like fall had decided to head straight into early winter. She thought of going back to her dorm, but she didn't want to face them right then and there. She headed out of the castle and through the gate.

Lily shivered as she headed down the lane towards Hogsmeade. She knew she really shouldn't have left school, whether she was allowed to or not by head girl status, especially without a cape, cloak, or even coat but she was confused. She didn't know why she had been so snappy at James, more so than usual. Secretly she thought it might make betraying him easier.

Her fingers felt cold and raw; as did her cheeks by the time she had made it half way. She thought of turning back, but she didn't want to quite yet. She liked the freedom of being out there alone, even if the fall wind threatened to freeze her skin clear off her face.

"Ooh, close the damn door," a voice shouted from the back of the Hogshead as Lily headed in through the door. She was usually a more `Three Broom Sticks' kind of girl, but she found the cheery atmosphere a little opposing of how she felt. Lily walked straight to the bar, not needed to hang her coat since she hadn't brought one. Sitting down, Lily watched as the bar keeper hobbled up to her.

"Are you old enough to be in here?" he asked her as he looked at her, peering at her. Lily raised an eyebrow at him. She bit back a smart response that was threatening to escape.

"I'm of age, if that's what you want to know," Lily said. He peered at her for a second.

"A'right, what'll you have?" He said. Lily shrugged, her arms wrapped around her body tightly for warmth.

"I don't know. What do you've have here?" She asked. He looked at her critically.

"I doubt you'd be suited for some fire whiskey, but butterbeer isn't going to warm you right well," the bar keeper said quietly. "You didn't wear a coat in, so I'd be fair to assume that you're cold and needing some alone time. How `bout Liccoriliquor? It's warm and sweet."

"Whatever you recommend, alright," Lily said as she reached in her pocket. "So long as this covers it."

"No, but that's a'right," said the bar keeper as he pushed her tiny copper pieces back toward her. "I'm always up for corrupting the students of my dear brother's school."

"Your brother?" asked Lily as she watched him pour her drink in a small glass. He nodded as he placed it upon a napkin near her.

"My brother, Albus," he said. "I'm Aberforth."

"Pleased to meet you," Lily said as the seat next to her became occupied. Lily looked to see Sirius sitting there with a smoking glass of something blue. Sirius glanced at her but did not smile. He looked annoyed. He finished his drink in one swift gulp and shivered.

"Only you would go and make friends with a bar's man," Sirius said as he placed his empty drink on the bar.

"What are you doing here?" Lily asked suspiciously as she took a sip of the liquid black drink in the glass. It was warm and sweet, like black licorice but not with that bite that licorice sometimes had.

"I needed some time to think, and don't hassle me about being off school grounds, ok? I'm not in the mood for a talking-to, alright?" Sirius said frustrated.

"I ought to give you detention, though," Lily said as she shrugged again. She nudged his shoulder with her shoulder playfully.

"But you won't because secretly you love me," Sirius said sweetly as he put his arm around her shoulders. Lily laughed, but didn't push him away.

"What's up between you and James?" Lily asked as they remained sitting next to each other. Sirius coughed and laughed in a nervous sort of way.

"A bit forward, aren't you?" replied Sirius. Lily shrugged and smiled. Sirius sighed, pulling his arm back to his own body. "Mainly, we are arguing about what we normally argue about: girls. Specifically you, this time."

"Me?" asked Lily surprised.

"Yeah," Sirius said. "James wants to try an all new approach by not chasing after you, but I tried to talk him out of it, tried to talk some sense into him. I told him that if you were interested, you would've dated him before now."

"You make a good point," Lily said smiling and nodding, anything to keep him talking. She didn't know if any of this could be useful, but she wasn't about to stop him from talking. Professor Dumbledore needed the information for his research, and Lily needed Professor Dumbledore for her own.

"But we both know the secret though, you and he and I," supposed Sirius as he lowered his voice. Lily leaned in, confused smile plastered on her face.

"And that would be?" breathed Lily, her forearms pressing into the bar and leaning closer to Sirius.

"You really like James, as much as he likes you back," Sirius said. He shot her a grin before downing the new glass of drink. Lily felt her chest expand painfully. If only it was that simple. She forced a grin.

"Ah, perhaps," Lily teased. She finished her drink. "Walk me back to school? I need to ask you for some help on a festival we are having on Halloween."

"Alright, sure," Sirius said as he tossed some coins up on the counter. "For me and Lily, ok?"

"See you soon," Aberforth said shaking his head as he watched Sirius and Lily head for the door. Sirius pulled his coat down off the hook.

"No jacket, huh? Take mine. We very well can't have the head girl freezing to death on her walk back to Hogwarts, can we?" Sirius said quietly as he helped her into his jacket.

"Thanks, Sirius," Lily said as the two of them headed out into the cold. "Sometimes you can be uncharacteristically sweet."

"What can I say? I can be a nice guy when I want to be," he stated simply as he shoved his hands into his pockets. They walked along in silence, Sirius kicking random rocks from time to time with the sound punctuating the silence.

"Why aren't you stringing along your long line of girls, or have you plum tapped out the supply at Hogwarts?" Lily inquired as they walked. Sirius kicked a rock further ahead down the lane.

"That's be your dear, sweet James' doing," Sirius said sarcastically. "I made a careless bet this summer, you should never try and race James to Surrey and back on a broom blindfolded by the way, and I lost, so James' terms have to be met. I can't chase after girls this term."

"Ah, celibacy through coercion, nice," Lily laughed as she brushed some of her hair out of her face. "And you plan on complying?"

"Sirius Black never goes back on a bet, or a promise," he said shrugging. "It's only for this term and it's giving me a lot more time to focus on what I want to do outside of Hogwarts."

"Which is?" Lily asked.

"Ah, well, it's still in the works," Sirius said grinning as he tapped his temple. He breathed on his hands to warm them; his thin shirt sleeves a poor protection from the gusty autumn winds. "So, this festival you are arranging. You said you wanted to talk to me about it?"

"Yeah," Lily said as she stepped closer to Sirius and offered him part of his jacket without a word to such. Sirius stepped inside, laughing as the two huddled together on their walk back to the castle. "So, we are doing this festival. If nothing, it is getting everyone out of a day's worth of lessons, but it is to boost morale among the students many who have had their families destroyed by tragedy in the past year or so. I was thinking medieval style and I know you have connections with things. I wanted James to come talk to you, but you two aren't talking, right."

"Right," Sirius said, his words suddenly cold as he reached forward, holding the gate. She walked through and waited as he rejoined her in his coat.

"So, I was thinking that we would all meet up in the common purpose room," Lily said. "Tonight, before dinner?"

"No, not before dinner," Sirius said shaking his head. "These things always take longer than anyone expects, and while I like hanging out with you, I'm not about to miss dinner."

"Fine then," Lily said. "Eight o'clock?"

"Can't," Sirius said. "I've detention, as do a great many people, because of dear James."

"Say ten, then?" Lily said exasperatedly. Sirius laughed.

"Ten it is," he said. Lily nodded as she pulled off his jacket and handed it back to him.

"Good," Lily said. "And thanks for the drink."

Lily walked off, leaving Sirius standing in the main corridor. She nodded at Peter as she passed and headed straight for the dungeon. For one who never ran late, she had barely made it on time. James was sitting in classroom B, waiting. He looked up at her while she settled her stuff, thankful she had the foresight to set up her tutoring lesson.

"You're nearly late," James said.

"I've been talking to Sirius for you," Lily said. "He says he'll help. So, I was thinking we'd all meet tonight in the common purpose room at ten.
"Why not before dinner?" James asked.

"It just made better sense in the grand scheme of things," Lily said grinning. She opened the potions book and flipped through it randomly. "So, James Potter, what potion would you like to try first?"

"I get to choose?" asked James.

"From our potion book, yes," Lily said as she sat on the edge of a table near him. He looked at her, obviously tempted.

"Why are you helping me? It has to be more than you just sucking up to Slughorn," James said grinning. Lily rolled her eyes. "If it's not sucking up, it must be love? Right?"

"I don't suck up," Lily said jumping up from the table. "You'd think you'd be happy to spend some time with me, but I guess you really are over me." She tried to give him a feigned look of hurt that bordered on real hurt.

"What?" James choked as Lily turned her back to him. She headed to the store closet and began retrieving supplies.

"Anyways, since you haven't decided, let's try making the elation elixir again," Lily said brightly as she placed the ingredients on the table. "This time, take it slow, concentrate, and don't blow yourself up, ok?"

"Ok," James said as he opened the page to the potion she had mentioned from earlier. He began to work on the potion while Lily started lighting her own cauldron. James looked up. "What are you brewing?"

"Vertiserum," Lily said without removing here eyes from the book that Professor Slughorn gave her.

"I thought that we were brewing that in class in a few weeks," James said. Lily looked up from the book and shook her head.

"No, apparently the ministry has banned it for production by students," Lily said unable to hide the annoyance in her voice.

"So, you're breaking the rules?" James teased. Lily shot him a look and suddenly a plan to get the information she needed formed in her head, as if it had been there all along. It was perfect, a beautiful plan. She turned her focus back to the book.

"Oh, well Professor Slughorn has had me commissioned to make some specifically for the school's use," Lily said without looking up at him again. She pulled the long silvery white unicorn hairs and began to run her finger down the ingredient list. "I plan to use it on you."

"You what? You plan to use Vertiserum on me?" James asked. Lily glanced up at him momentarily.

"Yes," Lily said before she looked down at her own work. James continued to stare.

"What could you possibly want to know that I would lie about?" James asked incredulously.

"It's not about lying, James," Lily said grinning as she began to place her first few ingredients in the cauldron. "It's about the truth. Now get back to work on your potion." Lily refused to look up at him again; instead she focused on her own potion. She knew if he gave her one of his trade mark grins or even that cute, confused little look he sometimes got she would lose all resistance to James Potter. Lily couldn't afford to let a little thing like love get in between her and her research. That's what James Potter was to Lily. Distraction and a little thing like love. Lily was almost certain of it.

-->