Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: This chapter is a little shorter than previous, sorry. I am trying to work out the complexities while still being true to the story. I know a lot of you think Dumbledore is acting weird, and this may or may not help. Thank you to all for the reviews.

Disclaimer: Just borrowing it.

Chapter Nine

James sat at breakfast looking at her with curiosity that he had never felt toward Lily Evans. He had known her to be a lot of things, but he had never known her to be a party to spying. She had purposefully given him a drug. He wanted to pretend that it didn't matter, but in all honesty it did. For two weeks, it was all he could think about. Granted he knew that she didn't share Remus' feeling, and he nearly found out how she felt about him. Damn that honesty. He wanted to know, but he wanted to know it wasn't because of covert operations. She had to tell him on her own terms.

"You look angry there, James," Lily said as she speared a link of sausage off his plate and bit it. He made a face, which caused hers to soften a bit. "You know I love these things but by the time I get down here they're all gone."

"You snooze, you lose," Sirius said as he greedily hugged his plate.

"You're terribly mean," Lily said as she pouted. James sighed and tipped his plate onto hers, the little links rolling neatly as if they were little logs.

"Awe, you're being awfully sweet today," Lily said sympathetically. "I didn't know you were sick."

"I'm not sick," James said though at the moment he really wasn't feeling all that well. He thought that he knew Lily, and now he wasn't so sure.

"No, man you do look a little flushed," Sirius said as he placed his wrist on James' forehead. James ducked under it, scowling.

"You two ought to get a room," Remus grumbled. "You act like a pair of old married people."

"Look who's talking, Moony. You were complaining that your joints were all stiff," Sirius said playfully. Lily grinned at them. James watched her carefully as she ate and drank, each act seemingly as normal as any day. James couldn't help wonder what Professor Dumbledore wanted. He felt the paper crumpled in his pocket, stiffly poking his trousers. He trusted the old man, certainly, but he couldn't imagine what could have been so important that Professor Dumbledore sent the message with Fawkes at three in the morning. It was unexpected and James wondered why the man had waited so long after getting the information.

"James?" Lily asked as she touched his hand. He looked up at her, startled. "Are you sure you are ok?"

"I'm fine, really. I guess I'm just tired. I don't know why, but I didn't sleep well," James lied. He shrugged. Lily nodded, understanding.

"At least you should get plenty of sleep when you go home for Christmas?" Lily asked as she looked at him.

"Hopefully," James said. "But that is still a month away."

"Do you want to cancel today's potion tutoring? You could take a nap instead." Lily offered as she looked at him, concerned. Sirius looked at her.

"James' tough. He's not going skiving out on his tutoring session with you. Even if you are just practicing potions," Sirius defended. Lily shrugged.

"Ok," Lily said. She glanced down at her watch and jumped up. "I promised Hagrid that I would help hunt pixies. What is it about you that always makes me so late!"

"Hey, don't blame your lack of punctuality on me," James said as he watched her sprint out the great hall. He glanced down at her plate and stole back the sausages she had stolen. He grinned all of a sudden. "I'm glad she's running late. It gives me a chance to eat my breakfast."

"What's up with you? Normally you are all flirty with Lily and she has to beat you off with a stick. You practically ignored her. I think you hurt her feelings," Remus said.

"Really?" James asked. Remus laughed.

"No, not really, but you did ignore her," Remus said as he scooped some more eggs onto his plate. He began to shove them in his mouth.

"Nothing, really," James lied. He looked at his watch. "I am so busy, I should be enjoying this time. Tomorrow is Halloween."

"Think about poor Remus," Sirius said with mock concern. "Here he is a week from his monthly change, and he has probably put on ten pounds from his unnatural craving of protein."

"It's not unnatural," Remus defended. He made a face. "At least not for me, you know."

"We know," James laughed. "At least you change after Halloween. You are mighty frisky before hand, so we won't have to worry about dragging your carcass around to the various things."

"Please tell me that you got those monster sized turkey legs," Sirius said as he rubbed his hands together. James nodded.

"Naturally," James said.

"Good, because after I burn McGonagall at the stake I know I'm going to be famished!" Sirius said. He looked down at his own watch. "Speaking of, I have to meet her ten minutes ago. I should go."

"Please tell me that our little wager hasn't made you so crazed that you are going after our teacher," James pleaded. Sirius grinned devilishly.

"Well…" Sirius said wiggling his eye brows.

"Sirius!" Remus and James both exclaimed. Sirius laughed and shook his head as he stood.

"No, of course not. I wouldn't dream of going back on the little outcome of our race, which I think you fixed so you know," Sirius said. "Actually, I'm doing a little extra credit."

"You're turning into a nerd, Sirius," James said with mock shock. "What would Mother Black think?"

"Mother Black can kiss my back," Sirius joked. "Side, that is. I'll see you two later."

"I hate to do this to you, Remus, but I've got to bolt too," James said as he finished off the last of the sausage. "I'll catch you later."

"Remember, Lily wants to start setting up tonight, ok? Don't be late. Eight thirty, ok?" Remus called as James headed out of the great hall. James waved, signaling he had heard Remus.

A few minutes later, dressed in a freshly pressed shirt, James stood outside of the Gargoyle that guarded the stairwell to Professor Dumbledore's private chambers. James pulled the stiff paper from his pocket and reread it silently, only verbalizing the password: Pop Rocks. James had no idea what that meant, but it seemed to the trick as the gargoyle hopped out of James' way. James climbed up the steps, hesitantly. He had been in the office before, but only when he was in trouble. He'd been rather good this year, and hadn't been there this year.

"Come in, James," Professor Dumbledore said as James knocked on the door. James would have found this odd if it hadn't been for the fact that James knew Professor Dumbledore had been expecting him.

"You sent for me, sir?" James said as he entered. He took the seat closest to the door he had entered through, not wanting to go much farther than needed.

"Sorry about Fawkes, James. He can't tell time," Professor Dumbledore said. He poured himself a cup of tea then held one out to James. "Tea?"

"No, sir, thank you," James said quickly. "I've just come from breakfast."

"Naturally," Professor Dumbledore said. James hesitated but took the tea anyways. He didn't want to be rude, but he didn't feel like drinking tea. He looked at his books, rows and rows of book. "James, have you ever heard of the Deathly Hallows?"

"Yes, sir," James said.

"So you know of the three items? The stone, the wand, and…"

"The cloak, yes," James interrupted.

"Good," Professor Dumbledore said.

"Lily asked a lot of questions about the cloak for you," James said.

"I'm sure she did," Professor Dumbledore said.

"Then you know," James said leaning back. "You know that my family hails from Gryffindor, himself and from one of the three brothers."

"Yes," Professor Dumbledore said as he looked at James with a slight smile. "It's curious that you do not brag about this to anyone."

"No one knows, really," James said slowly. "Not even Sirius or Remus. It's not that I am ashamed, I am quite proud actually. I just wouldn't want it to change anything between us, my friends and me, and I know others would treat me differently."

"You think?" Professor Dumbledore asked.

"I know they would," James said. "They would think that I was someone to be jealous of or something, and I just want to be normal. My father agrees that the fewer we tell, the better we will be."

"I can understand that," Professor Dumbledore said. "Has it been hard not telling your friends?"

"Surprisingly, no. We have enough of our own secrets to keep us entertained," James said grinning.

"The map and such," Professor Dumbledore said laughing. "Yes, I imagine that would be plenty enough on its own."

"Why'd you send Lily? I'd have told you all this myself," James said. Professor Dumbledore nodded. "You've never hesitated on asking me about my mischievousness before. In fact I remember a time in my second year you actually ran me down to get me to stop teasing the merpeople on my broom."

"I remember that. Such fun! Alas, sometimes love needs a little help," Professor Dumbledore said as he winked at James.

"She's not interested," James said looking away for a second.

"Are you so certain?" Professor Dumbledore asked. James leaned back and thought about it. She had, up until this year, been completely distant from him. This year, she was downright friendly with him. He had asked her out and she didn't say no. That had to account for something, didn't it?

"No," James said shrugging. He suppressed a grin. "This year, I'm not certain of anything."

"So, this festival," Professor Dumbledore said changing the subject. "The kids all seem quite excited about it."

"It's going to be great," James said nodding. "Lily's been working really hard. I think it's been good, keeping her mind off all the negative things she's been through."

"That's good," Professor Dumbledore said. "I do hope you have medieval muggle foods."

"Yeah, Lily had to explain to me what some of that was," James laughed. "We'll have plenty."

"Well, I had better let you get to your tutoring, since it has already been some time since you arrived. How time flies!" Professor Dumbledore said smiling at him. "Have fun and don't forget to learn, ok?"

James started working on a potion long before Lily ever came to the classroom. He looked up as she came into the room. She threw her bag down on the table, apologizing profusely. She was dabbing her cheek with Hagrid's handkerchief.

"What happened?" James asked as Lily pulled out a little hand mirror and looked at two inch long scratches on her cheek.

"Stupid pixies," Lily said angrily. "They're so nasty and vile!"

"So pixie hunting with Hagrid didn't go well, then?" James asked. Lily shot him a dirty look.

"No, not so well, James," Lily said snappily.

"Come here," James said as he turned the faucet on at the tap. Lily stood there next to him, impatiently. He dipped the handkerchief's corner into the water and dabbed at her face.

"You know, I can do that myself," Lily said. James laughed.

"It my pleasure, really, plus you took care of me when I got bitten by that stupid plant in detention," James said. James looked away from the scratches and into those bright green eyes with the flecks of gold. He felt his breath catch slightly in his chest. He tore his eyes away from her eyes and focused on the scratches. "I don't think they'll scar. They're not deep."

"Thank you," Lily said after a minute. He grinned.

"Anytime," James said. He could feel himself drawn to her like he had never been drawn to anyone before, even her. He shook his head; it didn't make sense to him either.

"Why are you this way?" Lily asked. James looked confused.

"What way?" he asked.

"You're so nice, no matter how many times I turn you down, you're right there, being nice to me," Lily said. "I've been downright nasty to you, and yet you relent."

"I really like you," James said grinning. He pulled away from her first, before he did anything stupid.

"I think I've turned you down a dozen times," Lily said apologetically.

"Actually I think it's closer to two dozen times," James said as he headed back to his cauldron. He shrugged. "I don't know why I keep pursuing you. Maybe I'm pathetic."

"Maybe," she agreed. He laughed.

"Thanks for the vote of confidence, Lil. You're supposed to deny my pathetic-ness and confess that you feel the same about me," James said. Lily laughed.

"Ok, back to potion tutoring," Lily said a little louder than she needed. She stepped closer to him, but no where nearly as close as they had been before. She peered into the cauldron. "What are you brewing?"

"The antidote for the Draft of the Living Dead," James said. Lily peered at the book and then the potion. She made a face. "What?"

"Nothing, only…" Lily said as she looked at him.

"What? What?" James asked as he nervously glanced in the cauldron. He had been working really hard on it, trying to get it perfect to impress her.

"It's really good," Lily promised. "You've done a good job, and without any help. I'm starting to wonder if you're really as bad in potions as you claim."

"I really am," James grinned as he stirred. "But, you are helping me be better."

"I do try," Lily said shrugging.

"Don't worry about me, Lil," James said grinning. "You can go work on whatever you're brewing over there and I'll call you if I need any help."

"Oh, um ok," Lily said as she turned and headed to the cauldron she had been working on for a month. James watched her curiously as she cleared it, knowing this second potion she had been brewing had, indeed, failed as well. Slightly disappointed looking, he watched as she pulled the folded up parchment from her pocket.

"You know, I really would make you quite happy," James said quietly.

"What?" Lily asked as she looked up at him in surprise.

"Nothing," James called out from his end of the classroom.

"Look, we have a lot to do with the festival tomorrow," Lily said as she pushed the parchment back into her pocket. "Do you mind if I just head to the common purpose room?"

"Go for it," James called merrily as he waved. "But you owe me a ride on the Ferris wheel."

"Ok," sighed Lily shaking her head. James looked up and watched her leave, a smirk on his face. He laughed. Just when she thought she had figured him out, he had switched it up and kept it unpredictable. He turned and looked at the potion he was brewing, thinking he had done a mighty fine job with the antidote.

-->