Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Ok, so I have decided that the last chapter really was a great stopping point for this story… after all, we know what happens next: they get married, they have a baby (Harry), and they die. So you might wonder what this chapter thing is all about then (aside from me telling you that the last chapter was the end of it). This is what we would call the credits rolling chapter… as in all the thanks to various people and inclusion of stuff that didn't make it (including the 2 attempts on chapter 43, before I was enlightened). So read, but don't feel the need to review…

Don't worry, this will not be my final fan fiction. But with spring break coming up (and remember I have 4 children), I will be busy entertaining them and taking retakes on some of my exams…

Be safe!

Special thanks to: All my readers and reviewers, especially those who had constructive criticism for me. A very special thanks to Alexandra (figure you know who you are without me blasting your screen name on here).

So, without further ado…

The scenes that just didn't quite make the cut: They are titled from where they originated (if I remember… lol):

Halloween Festival

James was having the time of his life, really. Halloween was his favorite day of the year, more than Christmas, his birthday, or even Summer holiday. The air was crisp and clear with a bright blue sky. There was nothing but happiness in the air, cheering and laughing. Sirius shoved a huge pink cloud into James hand.

"I'm totally addicted to this stuff," Sirius said with his mouth full of cotton candy. "It is the best muggle invention ever."

"It's good," James said nodding. "I tasted it last night."

"Good thing I didn't have anything to do with the food," Sirius said nodding. "All of it is so great."

"Yeah," James said. He laughed as he shoved his hands in his pockets. "It's not enough to make Lily admit that she loves me, and I know that she does. I can see it when she thinks I'm not looking, but it is a step, you know. All in the right direction."

"The only thing I hate are these period costumes, but at least it gives me a little something to gander at," Sirius said as a group of six year girls walked by, abundant in cleavage. "I would have been well served back then."

"Easy boy," James laughed. "You've got just a bit more time left before the terms over with and you can make up for lost time."

"I count the days," Sirius said. He grinned at James. "Since I can't partake, you have to make up for it for me. Twice as long in the kissing confessionals, ok?"

"No, Sirius, come on," James said as he put up his hands in defeat. "How about a day pass?"

"Nope, and look. This one isn't occupied," Sirius said as he pushed an eager looking first year boy out of the way. With a swift push, James was enveloped in darkness. He was not alone.

"Welcome to the kissing confessional, a replica of confessional booths priest used in medieval times," an automated voice said as soon as the door was shut.

"You'd better be a girl," James warned as a shadowy figure stepped out from behind the velvet curtain.

"Don't worry, I am," a voice whispered in his ear.

James hesitated, not certain that he wanted to kiss some strange girl in a dark closet sized tomb, but the excitement of the whole thing crackled in the air and she made the first mood. James found her mouth easily, and she was warm and welcoming to his exploration of said mouth. He wrapped his arms around her, his fingers resting lightly on her sides. She melted in his arms, her breathing as rapid as his. He felt himself leaning into her, and she in return leaned back. He had never kissed a girl with such passion, and never that deeply.

"Shift change," a voice called from the second door as they knocked. The girl pulled away briefly.

"That was the best kiss I've ever had," she whispered in his ear. He shivered, quite pleased. She pressed her lips to his cheek and retreated behind the curtain. James hesitated before trying to head through it but there must have had a spell because James wasn't able to go through it. James jerked open the booth and looked around.

"Where is she?" James asked Sirius. Sirius frowned.

"Where is who?" Sirius asked.

"The girl, the girl who was in here?" James asked. Sirius shrugged.

"The shift change happens on the opposite side to hide the identity of those inside. Why?" Sirius asked.

"I just kissed the most amazing girl," James said. "Well, she kissed me."

"Really?" Alice asked with a smirk. She had her arms crossed against her breast, trying to hide what the dress showed of them. "Because I know who you kissed in the booth."

"Who?" James demanded. Alice grinned.

"You'll know who you kissed when you kiss her again," Alice said smugly. "Just walk around and kiss all of the seventh year girls, if you want to find out."

"Can't you just tell me?" James asked.

"What fun would that be?" Alice asked as she laughed. James stepped forward, his mouth puckered and Alice put her hand up, her face reflecting her disgust.

"Not me, you doofus! I was standing out here with Sirius the entire time you were in there. Something tells me you should stick to single seventh year girls," Alice teased. She saw Frank and waved. "Have fun."

"I hate girls sometimes," James grumbled as he looked around. There was something like twenty seventh year girls. He sat down on a bench.

"Twenty, wow," Sirius said. He sat down next to James. "Well, count Alice out, so that is nineteen, and Charlotte Pinkerton, she plays for the other team with a Hufflepuff, Lesley Tatum. So, that's seventeen. Was she tall or short?"

"Shorter than me by at least four inches," James said as he looked from face to face of the girls that passed him.

"So that takes out Heather, Amanda, and Tina. The three of them make you look short," Sirius laughed.

"It was me, you dork," a voice whispered in his ear. James spun around to see Lily standing there grinning.

"You kissed me," James said.

"Yeah, I did," Lily said shrugging. She grinned. "It doesn't change anything."

"Yes, it does," James said smugly. "You really kissed me. You said it was the best you ever had."

"I've only kissed three guys, James, you and two others," Lily said. "It wouldn't take much for you to be the best I have ever had."

***

The Date Between Lily and James

Lily waited, standing rather impatiently at the bottom of the stairs to the boys' dormitory. She didn't like to admit it, but she had been looking forward to this day for weeks. She looked down at her clothes, wondering if she was dress appropriately. You could never tell well that sneaky little James Potter had up his sleeve when he had his mind set to something. Sighing, she flopped down into the chair closest to the stairs, her legs dangling over the arm rest. He had asked her to meet him here at noon, for a lunch date in Hogsmead. It was now nearly one, and she was starving. If he forgot about their date, he could forget any future dates with her.

"He's coming," Remus said as he strolled down the stairs. Lily sighed, crossing her arm across her stomach. Remus took a seat in a chair near the one Lily was lazing in, not quite a relaxed looking.

"What's taking so long?" Lily asked Remus. Remus grinned.

"He's trying to tame his hair," Remus said. Lily shook her head and stood.

"I'd have to wait an eternity for that," Lily said as she climbed the stairs to the boys' dorm room. She knocked once and entered. She froze, a laughter caught in her throat. Sirius was trying to help James tame his hair with Taming Tom's Hair Tonic. The room smelled of shoe polish and rubbing alcohol from the nearly empty bottle.

"Hey," Sirius grunted at her as he tried to pull the comb through James' hair. Lily shook her head.

"What in the world are you doing?" Lily asked. He turned to glance at her but was unable to move away from the direction Sirius was tugging the comb.

"I just wanted today to be perfect," James said. Lily laughed.

"You are such a girl!" She said as she headed over to them. She lifted the bottle and sniffed it, determining it was one of the sources for the interesting aroma in their room. "Come here, and let's see if we can get this straightened out."

Lily headed to their washroom, turning the sink on so that warm water filled the basin. James stood there, a whole six inches taller than her.

***

This is Chapter 27's first attempt where Lily is trying to find away to undo what Severus has done to James. I like some of it, but I think that there is a better way to go about it.

Lily was in the library long after hours and had fallen asleep face down in a book from the restricted section of the library. She had been working day and night, during meals and between classes to find something, anything, that could help right the wrongs of Severus Snape. She was constantly reminding herself that James was not himself. He wouldn't do some of the things he was doing now.

Sirius and Remus helped her out when they could, but they spent a lot of the time trying to seclude James from the female population of Slytherin, Hufflepuff, and Ravenclaw. He had gone from a respectable guy to fulfilling many of the girls' dreams. Lily turned her head anytime she came across James, as he was always literally attached to someone at the mouth or hip. It ate her up inside. Remus and Sirius were a source of comfort to her during this trying time.

"Hold up, wait a minute," James said sternly. Lily glanced up at Sirius hopefully. James strolled to where Lily was on her back on the library table.

"Problem?" Sirius asked hopefully as he subconsciously squeezed Lily's knee as it rested against his hip.

"Yeah, there's a problem," James said. He jerked Sirius' cloak off the chair and balled it up. Without warning, he practically forced it under Lily's head. "There, all better. Don't forget to clean up when you're done. No one likes a sticky library table."

C37: Neighbors

Lily had been awakened from a dream. She was so certain that she had heard her friend, Remus, which she lay there a moment, straining to listen. She was met only with the noise on their apparently new and rowdy neighbors in room eight-oh-four. Sighing, Lily rolled to her side, remembering the book had said that it would provide optimal blood flow to the babies. Lily's heart skipped a beat. She was having James' babies. James or not, these babies were the most important people in her life.

"You awake?" Alice asked in a sleepy voice.

"How can I not be?" Lily murmured as the people next door seemed to be wrestling around in the room. Half asleep, Frank threw a shoe at the wall, the thump reverberating against the wall. The people in the next room thumped back.

"Figures," Frank growled as he pulled his covers over his head. The three of them tried to catch some sleep, but were unable to now that they were awake. Lily rolled over and flicked her wand, the pathetic sparks dribbling from the tip.

"At least they're ok, wherever they are," Lily said quietly.

"That's something, for sure," Alice said. Lily sighed and climbed out of bed. She struggled for a minute, trying to pull her jeans on. Sighing, she threw them aside and pulled on her favorite sundress.

"Do you want me to go get breakfast?" Lily asked quietly.

"Nah, I think Frank and I are going to sleep in a bit," Alice said. She glanced at Lily. "None of your clothes are going to fit much longer. You may want to think about going to get some."

"Eh, yeah," Lily said shrugging. Even the sundress was snug in her stomach. "If James shows up, put him in some sort of danger so our wands work and I can blast him, will you?"

"Sure," Alice said laughing as she rolled back over.

Lily headed out the room just as the door to 804 closed. She made a face at the door, able to make out what sounded like a lot of horse playing and rowdiness. She glanced at the `Do Not Disturb' sign on the door and an evil smirk crossed her face. She reached into her purse and pulled out a black marker. She scribbled out the `Not' so the sign now said `Do Disturb'. Satisfied, she headed to the elevators and rode it down to the ground level.

"Are there any messages for room eight-oh-three?" Lily asked as she stopped at the desk. The clerk checked the box.

"No, ma'am," he said. Lily couldn't help but be disappointed. James couldn't even leave word that he wasn't coming.

"Thanks," Lily said as she turned to walk away. She turned back. "The people in room eight-oh-four are being incredibly loud and destructive. Just thought that you'd like to know."

"We'll check into it," the clerk said.

"Oh, and we'll be staying another night," Lily said quickly. "In hopes that the rest of our group will finally make it."

"Yes, ma'am," the clerk said. "I'll make note of it."

Lily had decided that maybe she should get some clothes for herself. She spent the better part of the morning at a nearby mall, trying on clothes and discarding over half of them. She wasn't quite big enough for maternity clothes. She settled on a few pieces of regular clothes in a size or two larger than she'd normally wear. She was quite satisfied with what she chose and looked to wearing them. Lucky for her, the dresses she chose camouflaged the plumpness of her belly. If she grew slowly enough, it would be a while before James would notice that something was different, if he noticed at all.

She laughed. He wasn't the most observant person. She knew it was the down fall of many men, not picking up changes in their significant other's appearance. Lily didn't mind, and she teetered between being terrified to tell James and being excited. If she only knew for certain that he wasn't going to stroke out when she told him.

Lily carried her bags out to the car. She stood outside of her car, searching for her key. She looked around madly for them, wondering where she could have possibly put them. She glanced in the car, frowning. She hit the window. The keys dangled from the steering column. She hit the window again, swearing loudly. A woman with a small child glared at her for the foul word that Lily used.

"Problem?" A man's voice asked from behind her. Lily turned around quickly, not expecting to hear that cold, cruel voice come from a relatively normal looking man.

"Do I know you?" Lily asked slowly. She could feel her wand vibrate slightly. Somebody in their group was in trouble.

"I am sure you have heard of me," he said quietly. "I am Lord Voldemort." Lily swallowed nervously. Someone in their group was in trouble. That someone was Lily.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Our neighbors are way too loud," Frank grumbled. He pulled the covers over his head. "I can't focus on anything when they are tearing up stuff."

"Too much like Hogwarts, huh?" Alice taunted. He laughed.

"A bit, yeah," Frank said. Alice pulled herself out of bed.

"I'll go shout at them," Alice said. Frank tried to pull her back in the bed.

"I can't have people thinking I send my woman out to fight the noisy people in the world for me," Frank said. Alice laughed.

"Then you'll go shout at them?" Alice asked.

"Uh-uh, no, not going to happen," Frank said. Alice sighed and headed out the door. She walked next door and rapt loudly on the door.

"It says `Do Not Disturb'," a voice shouted through the door. Alice looked down at the little sign and snickered.

"Actually, it says `Do Disturb'. Someone has scribbled the `not' out," Alice shouted through the door.

"What?!" the voice exclaimed, flinging the door open. Alice looked at Sirius and Sirius looked at Alice, frozen in shock. Alice screamed loudly and flung her arms around Sirius' neck. Frank flew out of his room in boxer shorts and an umbrella. Alice was jumping up and down, squeezing Sirius around the neck tightly.

"Alice, let go," Sirius begged. He shot a look at Frank. "Call off your wife, Frank."

"I'm just so excited!" Alice said as she released him. "Lily's going to be so stoked."

"Where's Lily?" James asked as he looked at Alice. He was leaning against the bathroom door frame, freshly shaven, wand loosely in his hand.

"Er, she's out shopping," Alice said quickly. "She should be back soon."

"You shouldn't be waving your wand around like that," Peter warned. Alice pulled her wand.

"They don't work. See?" Alice said as she flicked her wand. Peter went flying backwards.

"I thought that didn't work," Sirius said laughing as Peter pulled himself up off the floor. Alice looked deadly serious.

"They aren't unless… unless one of us is in danger," Alice said. She cried out. "Lily must be in trouble. We have to go find her."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily had her wand drawn, pointing at the man that would one day look like a monster, the monster that would hunt her son. She made her voice even and calm as she spoke to him, but inside she was trembling and shaking. She worried about the babies. She knew Lord Voldemort's rumored activities, the deaths.

"What do you want with me?" Lily asked. "I'm just a Mudblood."

"I agree," Lord Voldemort said as he looked at her casually. He had his wand loosely at his side. His face was pallid, cheeks thin, his hair a little longer than it had been in his youth. He let his eyes slide the length of her body. "I can see what he sees in you."

"Who?" Lily asked reflexively.

"Severus Snape, of course," Lord Voldemort said. He stepped forward. "The boy is quite taken with you. So much so, he's asked me to bring you under my protection."

"What?" Lily asked as she backed away.

"I told Severus that I'd not target you and you alone," Lord Voldemort said. "If I was here to kill you, you would have been dead by now. I have no qualms about killing people with their back to me."

"I'm not about to come with you," Lily said as she raised her wand. Lord Voldemort was within arm's reach.

"You should think about this," Lord Voldemort said as his hand touched her. His hand rested on her stomach. "Ah, this I bet Severus does not know." Lily slapped his hand away.

"I'm not coming with you anywhere, and I don't want your favor," Lily said. He laughed; his laughter cold and mirthless.

"He said that you were a bit of a spitfire," he said as he shook off her assault on his hand. "I was promised a soldier by the Black family, brothers Regulus and Sirius. I intend to get my soldiers, add to my Death Eaters. Where is Sirius Black?"

"I don't know," Lily said shaking her head.

"Are you telling me the truth?" Lord Voldemort taunted. Lily backed away a bit more.

"Why would I lie?" Lily asked. He smiled a true and honest smile.

"You are mighty bold," said he. "You don't even seem to be flustered that you are standing in a parking lot with the greatest Dark Lord of all time."

"Why should I be?" Lily said. "I'm not afraid of death."

"I'm not going to kill you," Lord Voldemort said. He reached for her stomach again. "If I don't find Sirius, I'd be happy to raise this one to be my soldier."

"They are the children of a Mudblood. What worth could my children be of yours?" Lily asked.

"Did you know my father was a filthy muggle?" Lord Voldemort said. "I, the heir of Slytherin, am a half blood. Much like your dear Severus."

"Then why hunt those less than pure blooded?" Lily asked.

"Why not?" Lord Voldemort countered. Lily turned and apparated back to the hotel. She knew that he wouldn't follow. She bit her lip, glancing around to make sure she hadn't been seen. She was in a broom closet. Lily stepped out of the closet.

Lily walked up to the elevator and pushed the button, the door sliding open slowly. She stepped onto the elevator, her hands shaking as she pressed the button. She didn't realize she had started crying. She looked at her reflection in the walls of the elevator, wiping her eyes with her hand. When the elevator opened, Lily ran straight into her room and locked herself in the bathroom.

She flicked her wand quickly at the faucets, the water turning on hot and fast. She took a deep breath, and turned the water from hot to warm. She had to remember that it can't be about her anymore, and hot water wasn't good for her babies. Lily jerked off the dress and looked at her body in the mirror. She was already big in her eyes, the rounding pooch of a pregnant belly. Her hand caressed the flesh slightly. Nine weeks, she was nine weeks pregnant with James' twins. She stepped under the water and let the warmth ease her muscles, washing away the tension she felt.

"Lily!" Alice shouted as she blasted the door off the bathroom door. Lily was just nearly finished with her shower. She had calmed a lot from her brief encounter with Lord Voldemort himself.

"Oh, hey Alice," Lily said a she poked her head out of the shower curtain.

"Don't you `Oh, hey Alice' me," Alice said angrily. "What happened? The charm was broken."

"Oh, I just ran into Lord Voldemort at the mall," Lily said casually. She pointed at the bag on the floor. "I got some really cute outfits."

"You're joking, right?" Alice demanded.

"No, they were on sale," Lily said as she turned off the water. She wrapped her towel around her body and stepped out of the shower.

"No, about Lord Voldemort," Alice said.

"Oh, yeah," Lily said. "We ran into each other in the parking lot. He wants to put me in protective custody. Apparently Severus still holds me rather dear, despite my sabotage. Maybe I should cleave to Severus, since James still hasn't graced me with his presence."

"Oh, get dressed really quick," Alice said excitedly. "I want you to see something."

Lily stepped out of the bathroom, dressed in one of her new outfits. She glanced up at the room to see the Marauders. Lily screamed and rushed James, despite herself. She wrapped her arms around him, more excited about seeing him than she really ever thought that she could feel.

"I'm pregnant," Lily blurted out. "It's twins, and Voldemort and I had a chat in the parking lot at the mall."

James stared at her wordlessly.

C41: Godric's Hollow

The house that James' grandparents had left him in Godric's Hollow was a cute house with a beautiful garden. He had hoped to make it home for himself, Lily, and the girls. With the girls gone, he felt as if the house was a bit vacant. It was strange, how the girls never even had anything in the house, there were no memories there of them, and yet without them the house seemed cold and empty. James had moved into the house, taking up residence in the master suite. He had invited Lily to join him, but she had decided that perhaps she needed to be alone.

Everyone had tried to discourage her but she had insisted and instead rented a little flat not too far from Kings' Crossing. Her choice of location baffled them, but no one said anything once she decided to live in the flat alone. James had helped her move in, set up the flat, and then walked out, struggling with the urge to drag her back to the home he had set up in his heart for them. He had grown used to waking up with Lily in his arms, and the first morning he woke up alone in his bed, he cried.

He wasn't the only one who was crying more than usual. Lily was spending many nights alone, crying into her pillows as she went through the hormonal roller coaster of the end of pregnancy. Her breast swelled and her milk came in, though there were no babies to relieve the discomfort of her engorged breasts. Her stomach, once round and firm, felt deflated and flabby, empty without the twins. What she missed most were the nights she played with them, poking and prodding them while they kicked, punched and somersaulted from within. Every night she was met with stillness.

Three months had passed for both of them, and they hadn't seen each other. It wasn't because James hadn't wanted to see her. He had.

C42:

Lily couldn't remember a happier time in her life. She could feel James' rhythmic breath on her face as he slept. She looked at him in the waning moon light. His glasses were on the bedside table, his hair disheveled or at least it looked that it was more disheveled than usual. She glanced at the clock, it was creeping close to dawn, and she would need to be leaving soon. She'd come back tonight, or James would come to her place.

Though they knew their friends knew that they were seeing each other, they hadn't exactly come out and said that they were back together. They wanted to take thing slows, or at least that was the story they were giving each other.

C43:

C43:

Lily and James glanced at each other with a look as Mrs. Potter splayed out fabric swatches and china patterns. The two of them had been excited to tell everyone that they were getting married. Mrs. Potter was thrilled as any one, eager to plan the perfect wedding. James and Lily had been visiting Mrs. Potter several times a week, agreeing that it was better to meet Mrs. Potter for wedding plans at the spotless Potter Manor than at Godric's Hollow, which was quickly filling to the rafters with well wishing friends on their way through.

Mrs. Potter had taken control of the wedding plans, eager to have the two lovely children tie the knot before either one of them did anything stupid. She had a motherly wisdom about her, and she knew that girls could be pigheaded sometimes, just like boys did stupidly annoying stuff all the time. It was Mrs. Potter that thought a short engagement with a spring wedding was just what James and Lily needed. She had never met two more perfect-for-each-other couple, sans her and Mr. Potter themselves.

"James, really," Lily said frustrated as James picked out some hideous gold and ecru colored swatch.

"Cream looks good on you," James said.

"Be that as it may, this is for our chairs, not my dress," Lily griped.

"Well, sorry!" James replied.

"If you're not going to pay attention," Lily started.

"Don't talk to me about paying attention," James grumbled under his breath. Lily shot him a dirty look and Mrs. Potter raised an eyebrow.

"Shall I leave you two alone for a moment?" Mrs. Potter asked. She glanced at the two pouting children sitting before her. Both shook their heads.

"Sorry," Lily said quietly as she glanced back at the fabric. "Neither of us got much sleep last night."

"The full moon," James explained needlessly. Mrs. Potter looked at her son and his fiancé sympathetically.

"That and Sirius," Lily said. It was James' turn to give Lily a dirty look. She looked at him innocently and shrugged. "What? It's not a secret."

"What's up with Sirius?" Mrs. Potter asked curiously.

"Nothing much," James said.

"Sirius moved out," Lily tattled. "James hasn't been taking it very well."

"That's an understatement," James muttered under his breath.

"Well, James, it makes sense that he would," Mrs. Potter said gently. "Sirius realized that you and Lily are getting married and will be starting a family. He didn't want to get underfoot."

"See, that's what I said!" Lily said quickly. Mrs. Potter turned to Lily.

"Lily, you have to realize how hard this is for James. He and Sirius had been together, inseparable since they became friends first year. For James, this is as traumatic as losing a brother," Mrs. Potter explained gently.

"Or an arm," James grumbled. Lily didn't reply.

"You two are going through some pretty stressful times," Mrs. Potter said. "It will calm down after the two of you are properly wed."

"If we make it to the wedding in one piece," James said quietly. Lily looked away quickly from Mrs. Potter's searching eyes. They had been bickering a lot since Sirius left, mainly because James had a hard time living apart from the man. James had grown used to always having his best friend as his beck and call, and now they might as well have been generations apart. None of them had even discussed Sirius's moving out, but after Remus and Peter both moved on, Sirius felt it was his time to.

Still, James was really having a hard time being away from Sirius. He'd look at Lily, and though he loved her completely, a little nagging voice in the back of his head would remind him constantly that not only was she NOT Sirius, she was the reason that Sirius wasn't there to play Atari with or talk. Fearful, James would hug Lily tightly. He wasn't afraid of being alone, but he was afraid that losing Sirius to growing up had set in motion the roots of resentment. He couldn't stand the thought that he might resent Lily. He loved her.

"So, Lily, Maggie will be joining us to pick out your wedding gown," Mrs. Potter continued, hesistating only briefly at the pause between the two before her. She knew well enough to mind her own business when it came to the affairs of her only child.

"Ok," Lily said. Lily watched as the woman stood, and Lily joined her. She looked at James. "Shall I expect you for dinner tonight or will you be off with Sirius?"

"I'll be home for dinner," James said quietly. "Shall I bring Sirius home?"

"Invite him, sure," Lily said. "We both know he won't come."
"Be that as it may, it is always good to ask," Mrs. Potter interjected as she started out the door. "It's good manners."

Lily nodded and joined Mrs. Potter at the fireplace to floo over to Magi's Mystics, the best magical formal wear shop in London. Maggie, as close personal friend of Mrs. Potter and the owner of Magi's Mystics, was eagerly awaiting the arrival of the two women. The thought that handsome James Potter had decided to marry was enough to send the joyfully plump little witch all a teeter with excitement.

"My little James! You must be one special girl to have pinned that boy down into marriage," Maggie said as she set her tape measures to work, measuring Lily. Lily nodded slightly but didn't speak as the tape measure measured some of the most obscure parts of her body.

"Lily and James have been taken with each other for quite some time," Mrs. Potter said quietly as she watched Lily.

"So, let me see what I have," Maggie said as her tape measure soared over to her outstretched hand. She waved her wand and several puffy sleeved and bow-mangled white dresses sashayed in to the room.

"Lily isn't wearing white," Mrs. Potter said simply. Maggie looked at Lily curiously, the auburn haired girl's cheeks suddenly ablaze with embarrassment.

"Oh, I see," Maggie said nodding. As quickly as the dresses appeared, they were gone. "Perhaps a cream or Ivory?"

"I think Ecru or Egg shell would be better," Mrs. Potter said. Maggie nodded and more hideous puffy sleeved, full skirted, bow-assaulted dresses danced out of the back room as if they were being worn out by invisible dancers. Lily hated them. She simply hated the dresses. She opened her mouth to protest but Mrs. Potter smiled, grateful to be a part of choosing such an important thing in Lily's wedding. Lily closed her mouth. Mrs. Potter was being so nice, paying for everything. Lily just couldn't stand the thought of wearing these monstrosities of beige colored wedding dresses.

While Lily was dressed in the dresses, twirling like a big cream colored cream puff, she frowned slightly, thinking that this wasn't quite what she had expected when she imagined her perfect wedding. She had always pictures a simple white dress, flattering to her figure, with wide straps. She hated puffy sleeves and frilly lace. She hated bows. Still she couldn't complain because if it wasn't for Mrs. Potter, she and James would be getting married in front of a muggle judge down at the courthouse.

"I think, perhaps, we will need to try a few more on," Mrs. Potter said as the next round of non-white dresses entered. Lily dutifully tried each one on without complaint. Secretly, she hated them, yes, but she was not about to look a gift horse in the mouth.

"They are simply lovely," Maggie kept saying as Lily tried a particularly heinous dress on, a large fluffy thing with polyester bows of the same cream color.

"Perhaps a light butter milk?" Mrs. Potter said. "In more of a taffeta or tulle?"

"I have just the thing," Maggie said. Away the second set of hideous dresses went, though not far enough for Lily's liking, and a third set of dresses danced out and spun for Lily to peruse. Lily tried to like the dress that Mrs. Potter was cooing about, but it really wasn't her taste.

"There are just going to be so many people at the wedding," Mrs. Potter chatted with Maggie. "A huge ordeal, for sure. Plenty of people from the Ministry, the Minister himself is attending. Naturally, with James being head boy and Lily as head girl, many of the professors are intending on attending."

"That's fantastic," Maggie said. "So, champagne or butter cream?"

"Which color do you like?" Mrs. Potter asked.

"Champagne," Lily said quietly, thinking the color wasn't too bad, even if she hated the lace and bows. Resigned to wearing something she didn't like, she nodded at the dress. She knew that she should be more grateful. After all, Mrs. Potter would become her mother, Mr. Potter would be her father, and James would be her husband.

"So that's the color," Mrs. Potter said nodding. "Have you thought of the color your brides' maids will wear?"

"No, ma'am," Lily said. "But I was thinking maybe I could wear white, since really, I've only been with James, you know?"

"It's your wedding," Mrs. Potter said. "I just thought that white really symbolized too much in the way of pure virginity, and since you and James obviously have been relating."

"I, uh," Lily stuttered.

"I was the same with James' father," Mrs. Potter said. "I wore a baby blue wedding dress on my wedding day."

"I just always imagined that I'd wear white," Lily said honestly. Mrs. Potter nodded.

"There are things in life that sometimes you will have to compromise," Mrs. Potter said. "This is your first rule of marriage. Know when to fight your battles."

"Ok," Lily said. "Champagne colored dress then."

"And I was only kidding about the bows and lace and tulle, dear," Mrs. Potter said grinning. "I'm afraid that James gets his mischievousness from me. I only had you try it for the color. They were hideous, and the look on your face was priceless. I don't think I could have held my tongue."

"I… uh…" Lily said blushing.

"Don't worry, my mother in law did far worse to me when she was planning my nuptials with Mr. Potter," Mrs. Potter said grinning. "She made me believe that I would have to wear a thorn tiara."

"Really?" Lily asked as she followed Mrs. Potter. "The color swatches for the dresses are always done in every fabric available on the same dress just for ease."

"I was really scared. I'm not big into bows, frill, and lace," Lily confessed. Mrs. Potter grinned.

"James told me," Mrs. Potter said laughing. "I could have gathered from your looks of horrification at the dresses that you are more inclined for a simple dress."

"What do you have in mind?" Lily asked. Mrs. Potter glanced around quickly and brought the girl to the back room of the dress shop. On a mannequin, the prefect dress was there, in champagne. It was silky, smooth.

"Oh, uh, wow," Lily murmured as she saw it. "It is perfect."

"And, see? I was right about the color. It would be all wrong in white, purity or not," Mrs. Potter said. "You will have to try it on, surely, but I was assured that it will be a perfect fit."

Lily climbed into bed with James that night, exhausted. She had spent a lot of time running around with Mrs. Potter, choosing the details from linens and flowers, to food. James was awake, laying against his pillow with a magazine. Lily peeled her shirt off, tossing it aside, and slipped out of her pants.

"I ran everywhere under the sun with your mother," Lily moaned as she pulled her hair up in a knot. James watched her wordlessly as she walked around their bedroom in her bra and panties. "I swear, at one point, I was going to throw in the towel. You should have seen these dresses that your mother paraded before me. This is getting so over the top."

"Over the top?" James asked quietly as Lily sat down on the edge of the bed. She unhooked her bra and tossed it on the chair, pulling her night gown on over her head.

"Yes," Lily said turning to James. "I guess I didn't realize that this was going to be so big. I mean your mom has been great, but there just seems to be so many people coming. I kind of thought that it would be just a quiet affair, you know?"

"Well, it's not every day that she gets to plan her only son's wedding, and hopefully this is her last," James said gently.

C43B:

James was sitting in the chair by the window, waiting. He knew she was on time, she was always on time, but still he was impatient. He was bored, lonely , and really wanted her to just get home. It had been like this every day since Peter, Remus, and Sirius moved into Lily's old apartment, shortly after Lily and he announced their pending nuptials. Everyone had been excited about them getting married, but the Marauders didn't want to hinder the couple's plans for marriage.

As it was, Lily and James didn't want to wait. They wanted to get married in the spring, as in that spring. They were at odds to the type of wedding. Lily wanted to do it up large, James wanted it to be a little more subdued. Even with Mr. and Mrs. Potter offering to foot the bill, James relented, not wanting to pay so much money for one day. With some talking and lots of discussion, they compromised. James would get the wedding of his dreams, quiet and intimate, and when they returned from their honeymoon, they'd have a huge reception. It was a compromise that they could both live with.

"Hey, James," Lily said tiredly as she walked in the front door. She looked tired as she peeled off her jacket and hung it up in the front closet. James watched her for a minute.

"How was work?" James asked.

"Work," Lily replied. James nodded. It was the same conversation every day. It never changed. They had discussed Lily quitting her jobs, but they hadn't come to any decision yet about what they were going to do. James knew that once she was married, she was more likely to trust her success and prosperity to James, and hopefully they'd become parents soon after. That, they had decided. They didn't want to wait.

"You have time to shower before we head to the meeting, if you want," James said quietly. Lily grinned and nodded, taking the stairs two at a time. Though discouraged for safety reasons, James and Lily had joined the others and became members of the Order of the Phoenix, headed by Albus Dumbledore himself.

Sirius and James hugged each other tightly as they did every time the two were apart and came back together. Lily could tell that they missed each other.

MUSIC USED WHILE WRITING:

Websites Used:

Google.com (omg, seriously a wealth of information)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~

Thank you all who have read and truly enjoyed this. It has been fun…

-->