Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Ok, so this is so much better than the original chapter eight! If it sucks, then I am sorry, but I think its better. Thank you for the reviews! I enjoy getting them.

Disclaimer: I am just borrowing the characters. The plot is mine.

Chapter Eight

Lily sat down at breakfast, frowning. It had been a few days since their first meeting and they had plans to meet that night, yet here they were at breakfast and they weren't talking again. The boys weren't talking again. Lily shook her head, annoyed. They really were worse than girls sometimes! Lily had two weeks to pull together a medieval festival and with the boys not talking, that meant a lot was left for Lily to deal with on her own.

"Are they not talking again?" Lily asked Frank and Alice. Alice shrugged and looked to Frank.

"I can't say, sorry Lily. I wish I could," Frank said apologetically. "It's the unwritten code of secrecy I signed back in first year. Kind of went along with being the fifth and final roommate to the Marauders."

"He can't even discuss it with me," Alice said exasperatedly. "His own girlfriend, can you believe it? It's an outrage, you know. He shouldn't have secrets from me, should he Lily? I mean, come on Frank! You really won't tell me about it?"

"I want to, you know," Frank defended helplessly.

"Sure you do," Alice teased as she softened a bit. Frank certainly had a way with the sometimes high strung Alice. Lily looked over at the sulking boys.

"Ok, we're meeting tonight, right?" Lily asked.

"Yeah," grunted Sirius. Lily looked at James.

"Are you free, James?" Lily asked as she held her temper. She hated this.

"Yeah, I'll be there," James replied.

"Remus?" inquired Lily.

"Do I have to?" Remus asked. Lily crossed her arms as he looked at her. She made a face.

"I'm not holding a gun to your head, if that's what you're asking. I just thought you wanted to help a friend out," Lily said. She shrugged and gave him a mock depressed tone to her voice. "I guess I was wrong to ask."

"No, no," Remus said sighing. "I'll be there."

"Good, eight in the common purpose room, ok?" Lily said brightly as she stood. She gathered her backpack, a book barely containing thick books.

"You know, we call it the room of requirement," Peter said grinning. Lily smiled at him.

"That's nice, Peter. Why don't you come a little early and help me set up," Lily said quickly as she headed away from the table.

"Wait up!" Alice called as she abandoned Frank at the table and headed to follow Lily. Lily waited until Alice caught up with Lily. "So, Lily. Have you confessed?"

"Confessed what, exactly?" Lily asked as she raised an eyebrow skeptically at Alice.

"You tell me," Alice said devilish.

"I don't have anything to confess," Lily said. Alice shook her head in disbelief.

"You've had your face buried in very advanced potion books, don't think I don't know what you're up to," Alice said as she grinned at Lily.

"I've got no clue what you're flapping your gums about, Alice," Lily said grinning. "I'm not up to anything."

"You're a terrible liar, Lily," Alice laughed. "But, whatever, you know. If you don't want to tell me your little secret, that's cool. I don't need to know."

"Hey, do you think that this little attitude between Remus, Sirius, and James will last? I mean I have two weeks to get this stupid festival together and I can't have them acting like a bunch of babies about it."

"Not sure, really. I mean they all think that their side is the right side, assuming of course that it's about sides, you know?" Alice said as they headed toward their class room.

"No, I really don't," Lily laughed as she shook her head. "Once again, they're all conflicted with each other and I have no idea what is going on with them!"

Lily headed straight from dinner to the common purpose room later that day. She had been working on the booths and such all week alone. She had thought of asking the others, but with Remus just a week now out of his monthly change and the boys not getting along she thought she would get more done alone. She smiled at the work she had already done, pleased. Magic made things move a heck of lot faster. She probably could have done it all on her own just fine, but that was a lot of stress to put on one person.

Lily surrounded herself in a corner to do some studying and reading. She was so close to her ultimate goal, her research was promising, but she wasn't ready to make it public. She couldn't take the disappointment if she failed, and should she succeed, she would go down in history as one of the most famous witches of all time. Until then, she had to keep it quiet. Luckily, all of the work with the festival gave her the perfect cover for being alone for long stretches of time. No one wanted to bother her, should she ask them to assist in creating so they left her be. She used a corner of the room to surround herself with the thick books from the restricted section of the library, and a few from Professor Dumbledore's private collection.

He was a patient man, Professor Dumbledore. Lily still hadn't been able to get the information he had wanted, but it was of little concern to Professor Dumbledore. She knew she mustn't attempt and fail, and that had held her back from just asking the questions. Lily was just buying her time until she felt that it was right. Professor Dumbledore was a patient man, indeed. He knew what Lily knew, that things would just fall into place. Lily felt her pocket. The large phial of Vertiserum was there, cold even though Lily was warm.

"What are you working on?" Peter asked, startling Lily. She hadn't heard him come into the room, and she hadn't realized how much time really had passed. She looked at her watch. It was seven.

"You startled me, Peter," Lily said as she took a deep breath to calm herself. She flipped the book closed that she was working out of, marking the page with a piece of parchment.

"Sorry, Lily, but you told me to come early," Peter said with an apologetic smile on his face. Lily nodded.

"Yes, of course," Lily said as she returned the smile.

"You've done a lot already," Peter admired as he looked at the things she had done. "How are you going to get them out of the room, though?"

"A shrinking charm," Lily said as she gestured to the various rides that were no bigger than a hamster wheel.

"That's clever!" Peter said as he bent down to admire the Ferris wheel. Lily grinned.

"Thank you, Peter," Lily said proudly. She took a deep breath. "Look, Peter. I really didn't ask you to come early because I needed help. I wanted to talk to you about the boys. Mainly, I want to know what's up between them. One minute they're fine, the next their not. I feel like they are keeping something from me."

"I really shouldn't talk to you," Peter said as he looked away from the Ferris wheel and at her. "I don't know how to keep my mouth shut when I am around people that I should keep my mouth shut around."

"We're all friends, Peter," Lily coaxed sweetly as she gesture to a set of comfortable chairs that appeared by a fireplace that hadn't been there previously. They sat in the chairs, their knees nearly touching at the closeness of the chairs, and Lily gesture to the tea set that had appeared on a small table. Peter shook his head.

"I don't want to get into trouble," Peter said as he glanced around. Lily put her hand on his shoulder comfortingly.

"You won't, Peter. I promise. Nothing you tell me will be held against you, or them," Lily said as she looked into his eyes. Peter nodded and spilled his guts, cleansing himself of every secret that he knew of himself and the Marauders. Every single secret.

"They, I mean you… you're animagi?" Lily asked with her voice no louder than a whisper. Peter looked like he was on the brink of tears; the world had been lifted off his shoulders as if he had confessed to Christ the Savior himself. Lily shook her head. "That can't be. James does excellent in Transfiguration, but that is pretty advance even for a seventh year. And you three did it in fifth year?"

"Yes," Peter said as his voice shook with unshed tears. "It was terribly hard, don't get me wrong. If it hadn't been for James and Sirius, I wouldn't have ever gotten it down right."

"Why didn't anyone tell me?" Lily asked.

"The less who know about it, the less that can get into trouble," Peter said. Lily nodded, understanding. It made perfect sense. He took a deep, shaking breath. "It's been so hard keeping it a secret, really. Do you know what it's like to hide something that big deep inside and never tell?"

"I do, actually" Lily said quietly. She forced a smile. "Don't you feel better that you've let go of some of your secrets?"

"Yeah, actually," Peter said grinning. "They really eats away at you, the secrets. I've never been good at keeping secrets, to be honest. I'm glad you're my friend, Lily."

"Me, too. Look, I have to go, Peter. There are some stupid boys that need to get over themselves, but I'll be back by eight," Lily said as she hugged him quickly. Peter, unaccustomed to being hugged was startled by it. Lily stood and headed to find the rest of the Marauders. She found Sirius first, waiting in line to get back into the common room. Some little first years were having a difficult time hauling their book bags through the portrait hole. Sirius was waiting patiently. Without the other Marauders, he wasn't as much as a bully and secretly Lily wondered if he was softer than he came off as.

"I know your secret Sirius Black," Lily whispered into his ear. Sirius turned and looked at her curiously. "I know the secret that could get you thrown into Azkaban and if you want to buy my silence than you will meet me at the Hogshead."

"Lily," Sirius called to her but Lily had already disappeared into the sea of students that were milling about on their way back from dinner.

Lily was on a mission. Spotting Remus, she sauntered up to him stealth-like and whispered into his ear what she had told Sirius. When Remus had turned to look at her, Lily had ghosted back into the crowd. Two down, one to go. James proved to be a little more challenging, but Lily found him off alone on the Quidditch pitch, having abandoned dinner in silence. Seeing Lily, he landed and faced her.

"I know your secret James Potter, and I recommend you come with me if you don't want to end up like your two friends," Lily threatened easily. It was an empty threat as the only thing that was happening with Remus and Sirius was that they were terrified out of their minds. James nodded.

"I knew this day would come," James said dejectedly.

James, Sirius, and Remus stood inside the Hogshead looking rather ill at ease, waiting. James and Sirius were better at hiding their uneasiness, but Lily could see that they were both nervous. James kept running his hand through his hair to the point that Lily was certain he was going to rub his head bald. She nearly laughed at the thought of a bald James but thought that now was probably not the greatest time for her to be laughing at him.

"What's this all about?" Sirius demanded as he ignored the cheers of old, drunken men playing exploding snaps in a darken corner. Lily raised an eyebrow at him as she slid in next to them in the booth.

"Why don't you tell me, Sirius?" Lily asked as she waited. Aberforth carried three pints for the boys and nothing for Lily. She smiled and thanked the now scowling man.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Sirius said quickly as he glanced hopefully at James. Lily shook her head.

"Don't try to look to James for answers," Lily said as she looked at him. She lowered her voice. "I know about you two being anamagi, and I can't believe you didn't tell me."

"What? No, we aren't," Sirius lied. Lily looked at James but he wouldn't meet her eyes.

"I'm not going to tell on you," Lily promised as she pushed the drinks toward them.

"There's nothing to tell," James said as he looked away quickly. He took a large swig from his pint and said nothing more. Sirius and Remus repeated the action.

"So," Lily said quietly as she touched the empty phial in her pocket. She took a deep breath, having waited a few minutes of quite awkward silence. "Are you able to transfigure into an animal?"

"Yes," replied James frowning. "A stag."

"And you too, Sirius?" inquired Lily.

"Yes, but I'm a dog" Sirius said nodding. "Are you going to tell on us?"

"No, but I should," Lily said quietly. James looked at her intensely and Lily blushed.

"So, the rumors about the map you made, are they true?" Lily asked directly as held his gaze.

"Yes," James said. "We made it in third year to get around the school. It really helped in fifth year when we were finally able to change with Remus and keep him company."

"What about the cloak? You have an invisible cloak, don't you? One that never loses its charm?" Lily asked quickly.

"Yes, just like me. How did you know?" James asked. She knew they'd know if she was lying, and she knew that to get some, you had to give some information too.

"Professor Dumbledore told me," Lily said. James looked at her confused.

"But why would he care?" James asked.

"I don't know," Lily said honestly. "He never told me why he wanted to know about it."

"You drugged us, didn't you?" Sirius asked suddenly, the light of realization crossing his face. Lily shrugged.

"Nothing that won't kill you," Lily said solemnly. She looked to Remus. "Do you really care for me like Peter says you do?"

"Damn, yes," Remus swore angrily under his breath despite holding his hands over his ears. Lily smirked.

"You can still hear me through your hands, Remus. It's part of your werewolf abilities," Lily said.

"Do you like Remus like that? Romantically?" James choked out though he was certain the answer would kill him if it was anything other than no.

"I used to, but that was a long time ago," Lily said. She shook her head. "I'm not here to talk about me; I'm here to get information, and to hopefully get you three back to being friends."

"Do you like James romantically?" Sirius asked smirking. Lily looked at Sirius furiously. The very question that she had been hoping to avoid had been placed before her.

"Don't answer that," James said shaking his head. "I want to know, but not like this."

"Look, James, I don't know why but Professor Dumbledore wants me to find out about your cape. He wants me to know where you go it, how it works, etcetera," Lily said quickly. "Will you talk with me about it, or better yet will you go and talk to him about it?"

"Ok," James said. He looked at her curiously. "Why did you make Sirius and Remus drink it if all you needed was information from me?"

"I had to be sure that you drank it, the others were just incidentals," Lily said as she started to trace the infinity sign on the table with her finger. "The easiest way to make sure you drank some was for there to be no chance that you hadn't drunk any potion."

"Isn't that a little underhanded?" Sirius asked. Lily smirked at him.

"I learned from the best underhanded boys I know," Lily said.

"Are there any side effects?" Remus asked.

"Random lying," Lily said. "You'll have to fight to tell the truth, but just for an hour or so. Stop being mad at each other, ok? You three love each other and there is nothing in the world worth coming between three brothers. Can you do that? Quit the silent treatment and be friends."

"Ok," they said nodding.

"And don't worry about the whole animagi to Azkaban threat," Lily laughed as she stood. "I was just using it to get you three together."

"Hey, do you want to go out sometime?" James asked boldly all of a sudden. Lily shook her head.

"I don't have to answer that truthfully, James," Lily said coyly. "I didn't drink any potion."

"Well, damn," James swore as he looked over at Sirius. Realization hit him and James jerked his head to look at Lily. "You didn't say NO! You didn't say NO!"

"See you three later boys, say eight for planning and preparation of the festival," Lily laughed as she stood. She placed the money for the drinks on the table. "Raise hell, and don't be late. Mr. Dumbledore, another round for the boys. They are celebrating the reunion of the Marauders."

"A'right, Ms. Evans," Aberforth said scowling at her again as he pour three more drinks, these without the addition of a truth serum.

Lily headed straight to the gargoyle that protected Professor Dumbledore's office. She whispered the password, the gargoyle jumping aside and allowing her to run up the stairs. Professor Dumbledore stood as she entered and smiled, gesturing to a chair in front of him.

"From your excitement, I gather you were able to get the information that I need?" Professor Dumbledore asked. Lily nodded.

"I nearly told him that I… well, it's not important. I got the information. That's the important stuff," Lily said hurriedly.

"If you will sit and rest a minute, I'll take a peek," Professor Dumbledore said kindly as he perched himself on the edge of his desk. "That is if you don't mind. Sometimes experiencing a memory gives you more insight than just hearing about it."

"By all means," Lily said. "I'll drop my guard."

"I do thank you, by the way, and I will keep everything extra I might see in there quite confidential between you and I. I know you have a reputation to uphold," Professor Dumbledore said. Lily relaxed and opened her mind to him, allowing Professor Dumbledore complete access.

"It's always such a strange feeling when you do that, Professor," Lily said warily as she rubbed her temples.

"One never gets used to it, I daresay," Professor Dumbledore said smiling apologetically. "It is as I expected. I believe that James Potter is, after all, in possession of one of the Deathly Hallows. I must be certain though. I'll need to see it."

"Would you want me to ask him for it?" Lily asked.

"No, not quite yet," Professor Dumbledore said shaking his head. "I will want to look at it, but he may need it for now. You have been a great help to me, Lily. Drink this."

"What is it?" Lily asked suspiciously.

"Just a little elf made wine, my dear," Professor Dumbledore said as he handed her the goblet. "Normally I don't permit drinking in my studies, but today is a day of celebration. The day that life is celebrated."

"Thank you sir," Lily said as she pretended to sip it. She didn't doubt that Professor Dumbledore had her best interests at heart, but as many potions that were slipped into this and that drink, she was cautious. Especially after having just come from slipping a little something into the Marauders' drinks.

"And a word of advice, Lily, you should tell him," Professor Dumbledore said. Lily blushed but didn't press him for his meaning. She knew exactly what the Professor meant. Throwing caution to the wind, she drank the wine after all.

-->