Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: As previously stated, it will remain with its `birth' name (unless if half way through any of you can think of something better than Moving On). I love the reviews and I hope that they keep up, but if they don't something terrible might happen to James and/or Lily and/or any of the other Marauders. I'm just saying (knuckles cracking) it could get messy…

Just kidding, naturally. I wouldn't hurt them just because people don't review. (Muh hah ha ha)

Standard disclaimer: I am just borrowing the characters for my own warped sense of creativity.

***

Chapter Three

It just didn't seem decent that the seventh years had so much more work to attend to, no matter their status. Every free period was spent hunched uncomfortably over thick stacks of books. Everyone was uptight, even James. He had scheduled tryouts for Quidditch for Saturday, and normally that would have his complete attention, but this year was different. It wasn't even that he was captain, because he was captain last year. James just wasn't used to the stressful atmosphere that surrounded every nook and cranny.

"It is too damn early in the year for us to be this stressed," James said as he slammed his book closed, causing quite a few dirty looks in his general direction.

"This is the rest of our lives, James," Remus said.

"I know that," James said as he reopened his book in defeat. He looked to Sirius, but found him just as tense.

"It's this damn bet, James," Sirius whispered. "It's killing me."

"It's not even been a week," Remus said.

"Right, but in dog years it is more like a month or more," Sirius said. He had taken up tapping his quill on everything nervously. That drew more dirty looks in their direction.

"Do you submit?" James asked as he raised his eyebrows at Sirius. Sirius shook his head, continuing to tap on the table.

"Never, you bastard," Sirius whispered as a group of girls passed them. Two of the girls especially looked at Sirius with taunting smiles. He smiled back, but turned away quickly and begun tapping his quill harder.

"You're going to have to stop that," Lily said as she leaned back in her seat to get a better look at James' table. James raised his eyebrows at Lily.

"Stop what?" Sirius asked as he frowned, still tapping his quill.

"The quill tapping," Lily said as she reached back and snatched the quill from Sirius' hand. "Whatever crazy thing you four are up to, you've got to stop tapping that damn quill."

"Language Lily," James teased. Lily shot him a dirty look.

"No, seriously Sirius, you've got to stop tapping," Alice said from across the table that she and Lily were sharing with some other students. "It's driving us all mad."

"Great," growled Sirius. "Now I can't even work some steam off tapping."

The four sat in silence: James reading the same page over and over but not grasping the topic, Peter doodling on what was supposed to be his transfiguration essay, Remus finishing off his potion's essay, and Sirius now tapping his foot. James sighed and closed his book quietly, leaning towards Sirius. He signaled for Sirius to meet him half way across the table.

"Let's go flying," James whispered. "I'm not learning a damn thing here, and frankly I think we'd both be best served to blow off some steam, you know?"

"I'm up for it," Sirius said quickly as he shoveled his books and parchment pages back into his bag. He glanced over at Lily, who still had his quill, but decided he could do without it. The last thing he wanted to do was draw attention to him and James. The two rose and headed out of the library, barely noticed by Remus or Peter. The two ran like forbidden lovers out for a tryst toward the Quidditch field.

"It's empty, good," James said as he tossed his bag aside and summoned his favorite broom. He kicked off of the spongy ground, the lilting breeze combing through his already wild hair. He didn't wait for Sirius to join him; he just sped down the field as fast as he could. He had flown over the summer, but never so out in the open. It was a drawback of the whole secrecy thing with magic. No muggle could see him fly; otherwise he'd be breaking a dozen rules.

"Out here, I nearly forget the world," Sirius said as he pulled up next to James. The two of them were hovering over Hogwarts.

"I know," James said. "I wish we'd never have to go down."

"As Remus would say, that's not realistic," Sirius said in a mocking tone, imitating Remus. "Sometimes, and don't get mad for me saying this, I think Remus and Lily are better suited for each other. They're both such solemn people. I don't think Remus would ever have any fun if it wasn't for us."

"Gee, Sirius," James said pouting as he crossed his arms playfully.

"What is your big plan for this year?" Sirius asked him quietly as they continued to hover.

"No plan this year," James said. "I've tried so hard the last few years. I think I've gone about it all the wrong way."

"Uh," Sirius said. "I'm not sure that nothing is the right choice either, James."

"I've never tried not pursuing her," James said. "It's worth a try."

Sirius shrugged as the large bells tolled. Sighing the two of them returned to the ground and gathered their bags. Slowly, reluctantly, they headed off toward the dungeons for potions. Lily was already in the class, Professor Slughorn chatting her up while the other students came in and settled down. Sirius and James chose a table towards the middle, closest to the windows. Lily took the one in front of theirs, closest to the board.

"I love potions," Lily whispered to Alice. Alice smiled at Lily, but it was obvious that Alice did not feel the same way.

"Lily, mind if I join your table?" Severus asked as he looked at her. Lily smiled at him, but her smile held no warmth.

"Sorry, Severus," Lily said as she grabbed Remus' sleeve. "I already promised it to Remus. Right, Remus?"

"Huh?" Remus said with a startled look on his face. "Oh, yeah, right."

Remus shot James an apologetic look as he took the seat next to Lily. James shook his head, sighing. There went James' perfect grade in potions. He was terrible in potions, and the without Remus there to bail him out, he was a goner. James opened his book, looking very much as confused as Sirius looked. James looked at Peter, who had taken the seat next to him.

"Are you any good?" James asked him.

"In potions? No," Peter said as he scratched his head. Sirius laughed.

"Do you still have fleas?" Sirius asked.

"I must, but I went to the vet and got some flea ointment," Peter grumbled as he scratched his head again.

"Sorry `bout that," Sirius laughed.

"Maybe if we watch Remus and Lily, we will still be alright," Peter offered. James and Sirius looked skeptical, but they were willing to try. They were supposed to be making an elation elixir, a pinkish purple potion that gave intense feelings of happiness and peace. Naturally, James saw that Remus and Lily had the identical shade of baby pink. Alice's looked more magenta, but still passable. Sirius and James looked in their own cauldrons, mere inches from Lily and Remus' cauldrons.

"How's it go?" Lily asked as she looked up from her cauldron.

"Brilliantly," James said as he carelessly picked up two beakers.

"Do you know what you are doing with those two essences?" Lily asked frowning. James laughed.

"Naturally," James said as he quickly poured the chemicals into his cauldron. The substance exploded, causing the cauldrons nearest his to explode. The entire class was covered in the nonsense potions of James and Sirius, but could care less. Once Lily and Remus' elation elixir covered them all, head to toe, the entire class was laughing.

"My, my," Professor Slughorn laughed. His round belly jiggled with each laugh, which caused Lily to laugh harder. "I'd dare say that Remus and Lily… ha ha ha… their potion was a… he ha he… success."

James was laughing hard, but he sobered some when Lily threw her arms around him, laughing and holding on to him to remain on her feet. Peter was giggling madly, rolling around the floor like a crazy person. Alice was barely able to catch her breath between guffaws. Alice inhaled quickly that sounded like a large, piggy snort which sent Lily over the edge in her laughter. Tears streamed down her face and James laughed as Lily snorted as well.

"This is too much," Lily cried in mirth as she held tight to James' arm. "Too much!"

Sirius was doubled over, shaking with laughter that had gone either so loud or so silent that no one was able to hear him, just see him shake. A few witches in the back were cackling, which struck James as insanely funny. He became hysterical, gripping the table as he laughed while Lily gripped him. Slowly, very slowly the laughing calmed some and turned to chuckling and giggling, then to quiet snickering. At long last, the laughter subsided to silence. Lily released James, and he sat down at his desk, suddenly quite down.

"Ah, yes," Professor Slughorn said quite soberly. "With the very highs, come the very lows."

"I don't think I've quite ever felt this depressed in my life," Alice said miserably.

"It wears off," Professor Slughorn said as he looked over his class morosely. "Perhaps it would be best for none of you to play with sharp objects or get too close to the windows."

"Have you ever had a jumper?" James asked as he looked at the window. He knew he'd never felt so depressed before in his life, so dejected.

"No, and I'd fancy you not being the first," Professor Slughorn said. James nodded and tore his gaze away from the window.

"Could you imagine how we'd feel if we were doing a love potion?" James murmured. Sirius looked at him with this pained, sulky look in his eyes.

"We totally suck at potions," Sirius said moodily as he took to rummaging around in his bag for a quill.

"Yeah, I know," James said. He raised his hand.

"Yes, Mr. Potter," Professor Slughorn asked.

"Can you assign me a tutor?" James asked. "I'd rather not experience this again."

"Too right," Professor Slughorn said. "This was just a simple elation elixir. Had it been Vertiserum or something like that, the results would have been disastrous. Since we will be brewing that in the near future, I'd definitely like to avoid the loose tongues of a bunch of seventeen year olds."

"As would we," Lily said as she stood. James looked at her, confused.

"Thank you, Lily," Professor Slughorn said signaling to James with a wave of the hand. Like that, Lily had offered to tutor James in potions. The bell tolled, signaling the end of class, and James climbed to his feet. He and Sirius hung back, waiting for the class to depart before they headed up to Professor Slughorn.

"Sir, we are so sorry," James said. Professor Slughorn smiled.

"I have to say that I really enjoyed the laughter," Professor Slughorn said. "No hard feelings on blowing up a bit of potion. Who knows, perhaps you and Ms. Evans will find you have more in common than potions."

"You devilish man you," Sirius said grinning. At last, the potion seemed to have completely worn off, and it was about time. Sirius and James were not ones that like the down, dark sadness.

The two of them headed to the great hall for mealtime, and James grinned at Sirius as they both surveyed the sea of people before them. Sirius tried not to focus on the fine forms the girls seemed to have developed over the summer. The longer he was celibate, the better looking they all became. Sirius swore a nasty word at a smirking James and headed straight for Lily. James chased after him, nervous. The only rule to the challenge was that Sirius couldn't date or be with a girl romantically.

"Hey there, Lily," Sirius said as he leaned on the table.

"Hello there, Sirius," Lily said glancing at Alice. Alice shrugged then turned back to Frank.

"Did James tell you that he has an effigy of you in his room?" Sirius asked. James looked horrified.

"I do not!" James exclaimed. Lily looked at him in surprise.

"An effigy? Really?" Lily asked as she mulled it over in her mind. "You're one strange boy, James Potter."

"Remus, do I have an effigy of Lily in my room?" James demanded as he looked to Remus and Peter.

"Not the last time I was in there," Remus said quietly. Sirius shot a look at Peter.

"No, Remus is right," Peter said indifferently. "It's more of a shrine."

"A shrine?" James asked laughing. "Really, Lily, they're pulling your leg. I don't have a shrine or effigy of you."

"Do so," Sirius challenged with a wicked grin on his face. "And, he has pasted your likeness on the faces of all the witches in his PlayWizard magazine."

"Ooh la la," Lily said laughing as she leaned forward on her elbows.

"I really didn't!" James denied. Lily laughed and took a final sip of her pumpkin juice.

"You don't have to explain," Lily said as she stood. "Alice, I'll see you back in the room. Don't let these boys corrupt you."

"I can't believe you lied like that," James said as he and Sirius both sat down.

"All in good fun," Sirius said as he helped himself to some food. Alice looked at James curiously.

"Did you really paste her face on the witches in the magazine?" Alice asked curiously. James shook his head adamantly.

"No, Sirius is just being a dick," James said. "And I don't have a shrine or effigy."

"Nah, but you do have a picture of her," Sirius laughed. "I've seen you kiss it."

"How sweet!" Alice giggled as she stood. "Well, I really must be off now."

"You're not going to tell Lily are you?" James asked hopefully. Alice shot him the slyest smile she could muster.

"My loyalties don't lie with you, James Potter. They lie with Lily," Alice said as she flipped her brown hair around and headed out toward the entry way to the great hall, where she had just come from in a hurry.

"Great," James grumbled.

"You act like it's a bad thing, Lily knowing that you're a sentimental guy," Remus said. "I happen to know she likes when guys really care about her."

"Like you know women," Sirius laughed.

"No, maybe not," Remus said. "But I know Lily. Three years of being a prefect with her, of trusting her with my secrets and me with hers, you get to really know a person."

"I thought you said that you weren't going to try, anyways," Sirius said. "What's wrong with me having a little fun?"

"No, I'm not going to try, but I don't need you being such a dick, either," James snapped at him. He pushed away from the table. "I'm suddenly not hungry." Sirius watched as James stormed away angrily, a frown on his face.

-->