Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Ok, so I know many of you know I am done through chapter nine, but I have some sad news. I am rewriting chapter eight, therefore I have to rewrite chapter nine. The thing is, it makes the plot too complicated (damn Lily for dancing with the devil in the crystal phial… *shakes head*). Anyways, it fits beautifully, but it makes it entirely too complicated (should anyone want to read it, I will post it under a different heading as discarded chapters). So, chapters eight and nine are history.

Thanks to all who have been reading and reviewing. Your words mean the world.

Standard Disclaimer: I am not the creator, just the molder.

****

Chapter Four

Lily sat down on the edge of her bed, sliding the knee-high sock on over her feet and pulling them into place. She pulled her shiny black shoes on as she shook her head. It didn't seem to make sense that she was getting dressed in clean clothes when she was certain to get dirty. She glanced over at Alice who was watching her bemused.

"You're hoping you'll see him, aren't you?" Alice asked. Lily looked at Alice with a look of pure scandal.

"I've no clue as to what you're talking about," Lily said though her cheeks had taken on a rosy look to them.

"You may have everyone else fooled, but I know you like James," Alice said in a whisper.

"I do NOT!" Lily said a little louder than she had intended. Lily looked around hurriedly, checking to make sure that no one overheard. "What makes you think I like James? I mean as more than a friend?"

"You spend much more time on your appearance now," Alice pointed out. Lily made a face.

"That has nothing to do with James, though," Lily defended indifferently. "I'm an adult now, and I can't be running around like a heathen with my hair wild and clothes rumpled."

"I don't think I've seen you running around like a heathen, wild hair or rumpled clothes," Alice teased. Lily stuck her tongue out at Alice.

"You know what I mean," Lily said as she hesitated before grabbing her brush. Alice raised her eyebrow as Lily brushed her hair flat.

"I think you spend a lot of time on your appearance when you are going to be around James," Alice said. Lily shot her a dirty look.

"You've got love on the brain, Alice, and you're seeing it where it isn't," Lily said. Lily pulled her cloak on and fastened it at her neck. "Plus, James isn't doing patrol tonight."

Lily closed the door behind her and headed through the common room. She headed out the portrait hole, passing James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter. James glanced at his watch.

"It's a little early for you to be starting patrol, isn't it?" James asked. "It's just barely dinner time."

"I'm not patrolling tonight," Lily said smiling at them. "Professor Slughorn has asked me to go to the forbidden forest to gather ingredients for him."

"The forbidden forest?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, dummy, the woods beyond Hagrid's cabin," Sirius said. Peter looked affronted.

"I know what they are, I was just wondering if the woods are safe tonight," Peter said as he shot Sirius a dirty look.

"The woods are safe," James laughed. "Its hours `till night fall."

"Yeah, tell me about it," Lily said. She looked at her own watch. "I've got to find a way to entertain myself until then."

"You're waiting until dark fall, then," James said. Lily nodded.

"Now, between you and me," Lily said slightly distracted. "I'd much rather not do this on the night of the full moon, but Professor Slughorn needs these ingredients and `by the light of the full moon' is the best way to gather many of them."

"Would you like me to go with you?" James asked. Lily shook her head.

"You're too busy to patrol, I'm sure that you're too busy to accompany me in the woods," Lily said. She placed her hand on Remus' shoulder and leaned forward, whispering so that only Remus could hear her. "As much as I like you, Remus, I'd rather not have my throat ripped out or to become one of you, so if you'd mind not hunting me, that'd be lovely."

"Ok," Remus said as he nodded. Lily pulled away and grinned.

"Off to dinner with Hagrid," she called waving. Lily knew she needn't worry about Remus. She had made the wolfsbane potion herself, and knew he'd be as harmless as a kitten. Lily headed toward Hagrid's cabin, practically skipping. He was one of the few men that she had ever trusted completely. She was perfectly content talking to him, knowing that he would never reveal her secrets.

"Lily, `ello there," Hagrid said as he swung his door open wide. His black eyes sparkled as Lily hurried into his hut. He had befriended Lily the first year she attended Hogwarts, on the boat ride to the castle. She hadn't known how to swim and James tipped the boat. Remus, Sirius, and James surfaced quickly but Lily had become tangled in the lake weed and nearly drowned. It was no wonder Lily couldn't trust James. His boyish prank had nearly ended her. If it hadn't been for Hagrid, she may not have survived.

"You're a million miles away tonight, Lily," Hagrid said when he finally got Lily's attention. Lily blushed.

"Sorry, Hagrid," Lily said. "I was just thinking of the boat ride my first year." Hagrid's booming laughter startled Fang, who whimpered and hid under Hagrid's bed.

"That's a darn thing to remember," Hagrid said finally. "I've never lost a firs' year an' I certainly wasn't about to, though there was a moment I thought I had."

"Well, I do appreciate you saving me, naturally," Lily said as she sipped the pumpkin juice. She smiled at him and looked at her watch. "Oh, it's getting to be that time, Hagrid."

"I'll get you your bag," Hagrid said as he stood. Lily looked up at the enormously tall man and nodded, taking her to her own feet. Hagrid fetched her leather satchel. Lily pulled her cloak on over her school uniform and the bag.

"So, I've my list, and a lantern," Lily said nervously. "I've never been in the woods alone, but I've my wand, should I need it."

"An I'll be lookin' out for you, ok?" Hagrid said as he handed her a smaller crossbow. Lily shouldered it. "Honestly, I think Slughorn should be out here doing this `stead of you, but that's my opinion."

"It'll be alright, Hagrid. I've spoken to the werewolf friend of mine and asked him not to convert me," Lily joked weakly. Hagrid chuckled.

"Glad to see you've never managed to lose your sense of humor," Hagrid said as he opened the door. He handed her a canteen of pumpkin juice. "Though the things you'll do for extra credit."

"You know me," Lily laughed as she pulled her hood up. "Always eager to please."

Lily could feel Hagrid watching her as she tentively took her first steps under the darkened canopy of the forbidden forest. She didn't know what to expect, but she had always been one to expect the unexpected. She knew why Slughorn had chosen her. He knew she wouldn't give up until she had all of the things on the list. The mushrooms and weeds were not issues, really. They were abundant, but she knew that unicorn hair was going to be more challenging, thus the hunt on the night of the full moon. She wouldn't take it from living unicorns, nor would she kill a unicorn, either.

"Hair, hair," Lily murmured as she walked along the paths. She spotted the first unicorn hair. Tossing the crossbow aside, she placed the lantern on the ground and began the tedious task of untangling the hair from the bramble bushed.

"Who goes there?" a male voice rang out. Lily froze, not sure if she had inadvertently crossed into the centaurs' homestead. "Answer me, or I'm not responsible for your demise."

"Please," Lily said as she stood, her hands up in surrender. "I'm a student from up at the school. If I've crossed into your land, I'm sorry. I'm just gathering unicorn hair."

"A human," the centaur said. Lily slowly looked at the group of centaurs who stood in a clearing.

"Don't you know it's a full moon tonight?" An older centaur asked as he moved closer to Lily. Lily nodded once.

"Yes, sir," Lily said as calmly as possible. She knew that while centaurs normally did not become violent unprovoked, she knew the centaurs would not permit for her to remain in their hunting grounds without payment.

"And, child, you know the dangers that come with the full moon?" The older centaur asked. Lily nodded again once.

"Yes, sir," Lily said. She hesitated to see if they required more information from her. "The werewolf, from up at the school."

"Yes, a very dangerous prospect, indeed," the centaurs all murmured in their different voices. Lily nodded.

"The werewolf is my friend, and has taken his potion," Lily said. The centaur raised an eyebrow.

"A werewolf is a werewolf," The centaur said.

"Perhaps," Lily said boldly. "But when he takes his potion, he is no more dangerous than any other creature in the woods."

"We are hunting him," The centaur said. Lily hesitated. She knew she needed not to say more, but she could bring herself to say much. She understood their fear, as she had been afraid in the beginning too, but it wasn't some monster that was out in the woods. It was Remus, and Remus was a very good friend of hers. She could even say she loved him, maybe not romantically but love just the same.

"I've a crossbow, but I'm not hunting anything," Lily confessed. She held up the long, shimmery silver hair. "I'm just gathering loose unicorn hair, some roots, and such."

"If you see him, you will call out, won't you?" The centaur asked. Lily shook her head.

"No," Lily said. Disappointed, the centaurs headed out through the woods and Lily sunk down to the ground. She pulled her cloak around her, a chill suddenly in the air. Wherever Remus went, for he never confided that much in her, she hoped it wasn't the forbidden forest. She continued to gather the hair, the most important ingredient in the potion that the class would be attempting soon.

"Ugh," Lily grunted as a tree branch caught her in the face. She had all she needed and from the look of it, it would be morning soon. Yawning, Lily shouldered the crossbow and headed back towards the school. She stopped when she came to a small stream, not remembering crossing a stream.

"Bloody brilliant," Lily chastised herself. She had managed to head in the wrong direction. Thirsty, and long since having finished the pumpkin juice, Lily dipped her hand in the water and hoped it wouldn't poison her. She looked over as a young colt unicorn, it's horn barely breaching the surface of it's skull, dipped its head to drink from the same water. Lily froze and watched, never having seen a baby unicorn outside of books. It was pure gold, as if cast from the metal and given life. It looked at her, it's clear blue eyes meeting hers as if it was talking to her. The colt looked over it's shoulder at its mother, a beautiful mare with the shimmery silver mane glowing in what was left of the moonlight.

"Ooh," Lily breathed as the baby nuzzled her hand, not having realized she had reached out to the creature. It shook its head and turned to leave, three long golden strands floating slowly down to the ground. The colt looked back at Lily and waited until Lily moved to pick them up. Lily hesitated, thinking at first to add them to the bag. Unicorn hair was very valuable. Colt unicorn hair was priceless. As if answering her questioning eyes, the colt pawed at the ground and Lily slipped them carefully into her silk handkerchief. She placed them safely in her pocket. When she looked up, the unicorn and its colt were gone.

Lily shivered as a wind picked up her hair and tossed it about. Lily could feel the threat of the season change, and knew it wouldn't be long before fall was in full effect. She liked fall, though she knew that being head girl meant that she would have to attend all of the Quidditch matches. She almost laughed. She secretly loved Quidditch, but she refused to let anyone know she did.

"It's dawn on the horizon," a voice said from behind her. Lily turned to see the youngest of the centaurs standing there, his hair glistening with sweat.

"Did you come all the way here to tell me that?" Lily wondered aloud.

"I wanted to see if you had survived," he said. "I'm Blaze."

"Lily Evans," Lily said. She looked up at him standing there with a look of arrogant knowledge on his face. He was beautiful, in an unconventional way. "Did you find what you were hunting?"

"Alas, no," Blaze said shaking his main of hair. "We were not successful."

"Perhaps next month then," Lily said.

"Did you know you are damaged?" Blaze said. Lily touched her forehead tenderly, remembering she had been hit by a thorny branch or two during her gathering.

"I'll be alright," Lily said. She waved good bye to the centaur and headed toward the clearing. Hagrid looked worried, then relieved as Lily stepped out of the woods. He cheered, pumping his fist in the air like a teamer when she came within reach of his hut.

"A'right there?" Hagrid asked. Lily patted the bag on her side.

"A bit tired and hungry, but I'll be fine," Lily said as she handed him the bag. Hagrid peeked inside.

"You never disappoint, Lily," Hagrid said. "Slughorn'll be grateful."

"Well, I don't doubt he will," Lily said yawning. She looked up at the purple-pink of the morning sky and sighed. It really was a beautiful thing, sunrise, and Lily vowed to wake up early to watch more of them.

"Well, off to you," Hagrid said handing her the bag. "See you at the match, I suppose."

"I suppose so, Hagrid," Lily said smiling. "I'm going to head up to the castle and get some breakfast, I think. I ran into centaurs while I was in there."

"Is that where you got the cuts?" Hagrid asked with concern.

"No, I was unharmed by them," Lily said. "I did, however, loose the battle with a prickly branch."

"You're very lucky," Hagrid said. "They were in a right violent state last night. They always are during the full moon."

"Ah, well, I just put on my famous Evans charm," Lily said as she began walking away. "See you later, Hagrid."

Lily headed to Slughorn's office, using her wand to open the door. She placed the bag on his desk and headed toward the great hall. She knew she really should go clean up, but she was thirsty and hungry so she figured one early morning trip with her not looking her best was due. Lily found very few people up that early, and four boys she guessed probably never went to bed.

"Lily Evans, I don't think I've ever seen you up quite so early," Sirius said as he made a face. "What in the hell happened to you?"

"Like you four actually woke up early," Lily said as she pulled off her cape and sat down with them. She normally wouldn't eat with them, but she didn't fancy on a meal alone. Lily piled her plate with fruit and some eggs.

"Whatever do you mean?" Sirius said with feigned innocence.

"I just know that there is no way that you woke up early," Lily said grinning. She waved her hand at them. "I don't care to know what you three were up to while poor Remus was ailing."

"Are you sure?" James asked as he grinned and raised an eyebrow.

"I'm sure that it was something unlawful or dangerous," Lily said.

"It was," Remus said. Lily raised an eyebrow at them but said nothing more. She leaned forward.

"While I was in the forest, I ran into some Centaurs," Lily said lowering her voice. "They were hunting you, Remus. Please promise me that where ever you go, it's not the forest." She looked at him with concern in her eyes.

"I can't promise that to you," Remus said. Lily shook her head.

"James, talk some sense into him," Lily begged.

"Lily, Remus is an adult. I'm sure he can make his own decisions on where he will go when he is ill," James said as he glanced at Remus. Remus nodded.

"If you won't promise me you won't go, will you promise me you'll at least stay away from the Centaurs?" Lily asked as she crossed her arms.

"That, I can promise," Remus said as he smiled warily at her.

"Are you too tired for the match?" Lily asked him as she placed her hand on his arm, her fingers touching the skin where he had rolled up his sleeves. She turned and looked at James. "As captain, maybe you should use a substitution?"

"Sod off, Lily," Remus said frowning. "You're not my mother. I'm fine."

"Remus," Lily said frowning back. He had never talked to her that way before.

"I don't need you always there, ok?" Remus snapped at her as he jerked away from her.

"Uh," Lily said as she pulled her hand away. She was visibly hurt and she didn't try to hide it. She slowly stood "Well, then… good bye."

Lily glanced back at them as she stopped at the door to the great hall. Remus had his head down in his arms and Sirius seemed to be comforting him. Peter looked very nervous about the whole situation. James was saying something to Remus, but glanced towards Lily. He shook his head and turned back to Remus.

-->