Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: Thank you all for the great reviews, really, and I hope that you enjoy this chapter as well. I am using MS Word 2007, so the controls are still being learned, so it is taking me a bit longer to figure out how to save in a format for upload. I know I had told MANY of you that I was rewriting chapters 8 and 9, but I think that it would be a great disservice to my readers. Complicating the story may just be a necessary risk. So… without further chit-chat: the chapter.

Disclaimer: I am only borrowing the characters.

****

Chapter Five

James pulled his Quidditch robes on, readying himself. He had given them all the tools they needed to win; now they just needed to win. He looked over his team, Remus and Sirius as beaters, three fifth years were chasers, and a fourth year was a keeper. James was the seeker, so he knew he needed the team to function without much input during the actual game, since he would be busy looking for the Golden Snitch.

"You ready?" James asked them as he straightened his robes. The team nodded. James looked at Remus, thinking that he was looking tired, but James didn't say anything. He couldn't deal with it right now; werewolves could get mighty moody right after the full moon. James knew he would have to deal with Remus and Lily soon enough, but now he needed to focus on the match at hand.

The seven walked out onto the field, dressed in their maroon and gold robes to the cheers of half the stands and the jeers of the other half. James did his customary wave to the stands, as did the other Gryffindor team members. James looked up to Professor McGonagall's normal place to see Lily sitting there next to her. Lily looked down at them walk out onto the field and cheered. Though James was sure she wasn't singularly cheering for him, he couldn't help but pretend and feel the swell of pride in his chest.

James mounted his broom and they were off to play Quidditch. James loved the way the wind whipped through his hair as he soared higher and higher into the air. He watched from above as a few goals were made left and right for both sides. James hated Slytherin, and sure enough the Slytherin seeker was circling as well, watching James. James dove quickly, an evasive maneuver, and sure enough the Slytherin seeker followed.

At long last, James saw the snitch and he took off towards it. The Slytherin seeker, who was so much slower than James, never had a chance. James easily captured the snitch and Gryffindor won the game. The Gryffindor team did a victory lap around the field while all but the Slytherin house cheered their victory. James flew down and was embraced by Sirius and Remus. The three were cheering loudly for their victory.

"Victory party, Gryffindor tower!" Sirius cheered as the team finally landed and headed toward the changing tent. James was elated as he pulled off his robes. Sirius laughed and did a little dance around Remus, who was trying to be serious as he took off his robe.

"Don't be such a stick in the mud," Frank said as he swung his arm around Remus. Remus laughed and pushed his arm off his shoulder.

"You're still sore that Lily was trying to mother you, weren't you?" Sirius said knowingly. "You know, you're going to have to apologize to her."

"Apologize? This coming from the man who never says sorry to anyone?" Remus said with a skeptical look on his face. James raised an eyebrow at him.

"She cares for you," James said begrudgingly. "What I'd do to have her care for me like she cares for you."

"Shit," Remus swore under his breath. James shrugged.

"What you need to do is walk up to her and tell her about your close call with the Centaurs, Remus," James said clapping his shoulder roughly. Remus raised an eyebrow.

"If I tell her that, she'll blow her top," Remus said. James nodded.

"Aye, she might, but you underestimate her," James said. He shot a look at Sirius. "Shit, now you've got me talking like you."

"I'll talk to her, certainly, just not tonight," Remus said as he jerked off his shirt and threw it to the floor. He pulled a clean one from his locker and pulled it on over his head. "I feel like such a jerk for snapping at her that way. It was totally uncalled for, and I'm sure she thinks I've gone completely nutters."

"You know, the longer you wait, the harder it'll be," James told him.

"And, where is this new found enlightenment coming from? You sound like you are trying to hook us up, when you know it is you that want to date her," Remus said as he leaned back to retie his shoe. James frowned at Remus. That was never his intention, to make Lily like Remus like that. James knew that they were friends, but now he wondered how close of friends they really were. James felt a twist of jealousy deep within him.

"Ladies, can we talk about this later? There is a party with our name on it in the tower," Sirius said as he ruffled Remus and James' hair. Both boys ducked away from Sirius, laughing, and the team walked together to the Gryffindor tower. They could hear the roar of celebration as the portrait hole swung open, and the seven walked through the door.

"Go! Go! Gryffindor!" cheered the very proud Gryffindor students as the Quidditch team entered the common room. After many pats on the back and bottles of sinful drinks, the seven made it to the middle of the common room. James looked at the elaborate decorations and knew it had to have been Lily who conjured and charmed such things in such a short amount of time.

"Like it?" A voice asked from his left. He turned to see Lily standing there with a bottle of butterbeer in her hand. James looked around again.

"Yeah, I do," James said grinning. "Did you do this all by yourself?"

"I had some house elves help," Lily said modestly. "Congratulations on your big win, captain."

"Thank you," James said. She was being so civil to her. Not only civil, she was being nice to him. He thought back to Sirius' comments the day before. "So you know: I really didn't do all those things Sirius said that I did."

"James, I can usually tell when someone is pulling my leg. I can take a joke. Why would I believe a word Sirius says, anyways," Lily asked as she took a sip of her drink. She shrugged and patted his arm. "You have a good night celebrating, James. You earned it."

"Does that mean you're going to kill me tomorrow when you tutor me?" James asked weakly. Lily grinned.

"Don't worry about tomorrow, James. Tomorrow may never come," Lily said teased as she drew her finger across her throat. She laughed. "You never know when today is your last."

"Ooh, all philosophical, aren't we?" asked Sirius as he came up behind the two of them. James could smell the fire whiskey on Sirius' breath and secretly wondered how he always managed to get a hold of the vile stuff.

"Good night boys," Lily said as she started to walk away. "There is some research I need to do before I head to bed and I'm already so damn tired, since I was out all night long."

"Heading off already, are you? Isn't it a bit early? Even for you?" asked Sirius as he watched her walk away. She waved her hand a bit, not even looking back.

"Why do you always do that?" James asked annoyed.

"Do what?" Sirius asked.

"You always chase her away by saying stupid stuff," James grumbled. "First that crap about an effigy and the dirty magazines, and now this."

"What I do?" Sirius asked bewildered.

"You were being you! Arrogant, pompous you," whined James. Sirius growled at him.

"You said you weren't even going to try anything with her this year," Sirius said as he threw his hands up in surrender. "I don't understand why my not being on my best behavior has any effect on you and your non-relationship."

James looked around to see a few people looking at them curiously, but he was quickly beginning to lose his temper. He went to stalk off toward the dorms, but Sirius grabbed his arm to make James remain.

"Sod off, Sirius," James growled.

"You're the idiot who can't get it through his thick skull that she doesn't want to be with you, the great and wonderful James Potter," Sirius growled back poking James in the middle of his forehead roughly. More than a few people had stopped to look at them arguing. "I'm not the only one who thinks so."

"So, what? You all sit around and discuss my prospects with various girls?" James accused as he gestured to the entire common room. "You're supposed to be my best friend, but you sit around chatting me up with Remus and Peter, I assume, and talk all about how James Potter can't get the girl. I thought you were on my side, Sirius, but I see I was mistaken."

"Where are you going, Potter?" Sirius yelled as James walked away. "This isn't finished, and the sooner that you realize she's not going to ever be into you, the happier you will be. The happier we will all be!"

"I've patrol to do," James shouted back as he slammed the portrait hole. He stood outside of the portrait, breathless from adrenaline and half hoping that Sirius would chase after him. James waited as long as his pride would let him before he stormed down the hall. Every person he encountered in the corridors was given detention. Normally he'd give them a wink and a warning, but tonight he was feeling particularly vengeful. He knew Filch would have fun with the twenty or so students that he deducted points from and gave detention.

"Ah, Potter," a voice drawled from behind him. James spun around to see Severus Snape standing there, his black hair hanging bone straight like midnight curtain around a pasty white face. James made a face, his already short fuse shortening more.

"Snape, out for a night stroll?" asked James as he glared at the man he loathed with all his being, and he did. James hated Severus since the first time he laid eyes on him. More so than he had ever hated Lucius Malfoy, and he had inherited that hate from his father.

"Patrolling, same as you I suppose, though I've never seen you actually patrol," Severus said coolly, a smirk curled on his lips. "But the detention board doesn't lie, does it? Twenty three detentions, impressive for a single night of patrolling. Do you think Lily will be impressed and finally confess an undying love for you?"

"This isn't about Lily," James growled as he knew well and good that it was always about Lily, and it always would be about Lily. James' face was red, though from anger or embarrassment on being called out by Snape was unknown.

"Don't you think you should get the hint?" Severus asked with a cruel smile twisted on his face.

"You ought to mind your own business," James said as he ran his hand though his hair. "And speaking of Lily, since you brought her up, don't you think it is odd that you, her proclaimed best friend, didn't even show up at her parents' funeral."

"My reasons are between Lily and myself," Severus said slowly as his eyes flashed with warning. "Don't think that just because you attended a funeral and had a few civil conversations with her that all of a sudden you know more than I do about her."

"I just think it's a bit sorry of you," James said as he turned his back on Severus and continued down the hall. James felt the sting of a silent curse hit his back, sending him into a suit of armor. James jumped up, wiping the blood from his mouth and turned, his wand raised.

"Never turn your back on your enemy, Potter," Severus taunted in warning from where he stood. James threw his disarming spell at Severus but Severus blocked it with a shield charm. Back and forth, the two of them shot spells at each other until Professor McGonagall came to investigate what all the commotion was in the corridor.

"Mr. Potter, Mr. Snape," Professor McGonagall said shrilly. "I'm outraged! The head boy and a prefect, battling in the halls like a bunch of barbarians. Detention for a week, both of you, and now get back to your dorms."

James wasn't greeted by cheers when he entered the common room, but by silence. The party had broken up shortly after he had left and all but a few had headed off to bed. James was grateful to find Sirius had already drawn the drapes around his bed. James didn't care to talk to him quite yet. Remus was already asleep, having needed so much rest after a full moon and a Quidditch match. Peter was sitting on the edge of his bed, slowly removing his sock and shoes.

"What?" James barked at him as Peter opened his mouth to say something.

"N-nothing," Peter said as he tossed his shirt aside and climbed under his covers. James was certain her heard a swear word from behind Sirius' bed drapes. James pulled his clothes off and climbed under his own covers. He had been wrong and he knew it, but for the moment, his pride kept him from apologizing to Peter… or to Sirius. He resolved to apologize in the morning and to Remus too, because he knew he was being a jerk to them. He didn't know why he was, but he knew he was.

James found himself alone in his room when he woke the next morning. No one thought to wake him for breakfast and he sprinted down to the great hall. He took his regular seat with them but they said nothing to each other. Gone were the loud, rude greetings of four carefree brothers. Alice and Lily looked at him questioningly, but they didn't ask. James knew that the girls chalked it up the boys being boys. To be honest, he wasn't sure why they weren't talking. They have had fights before in the past, but never have they ever not talked to each other. It was childish, but none wanted to be the first to break the silence. It would be seen as defeat.

"See you later then, James?" Lily asked as she rose from the table. James looked up and nodded before he remembered that he wasn't pulling a silent treatment on Lily. He had waited too long too verbally reply, so he kept silent. "Right-o, anyways. Have a good day, boys. Enjoy the weather while it holds out." Lily scooped up a bunch of old, leather bound library books the size of tablets and struggle to shove them under her arm. They looked heavy, and he wondered silently if she needed or wanted help carrying them. He nearly stood but caught Sirius scowling at him.

James watched her and Alice leave together, their heads together whispering. Lily giggled at something Alice had said and looked back at James. He swore he saw her blush. He quickly looked down at his food, wanting to hide his inexplicable shame. Sirius didn't say anything to James as he rose to leave, nor did Sirius say anything to Remus. Peter looked up at Sirius.

"Do you mind if I join you?" Peter asked hopefully as he rose. Sirius glanced at James for a moment then nodded.

"Right, come on," Sirius said as he continued out of the great hall. James looked at Remus but he was already rising to leave.

"Is this how it's going to be?" James asked Remus helplessly lost. Remus looked at James startled that James had broken the silence.

"I… I don't know," Remus said slowly. Remus glanced at the doors to the great hall. "Perhaps we can talk later, James. I have to visit the hospital wing for a pepper-up potion. I'm still feeling a bit peaky."

"Alright then," James said as he watched his second best friend exit through the great hall doors. He absentmindedly looked over at the Slytherin table to see Severus and a few of his friends laughing at him. Anger and resentment boiled with in him, but he remained calm and in his seat, his wand safely put away. The last thing he needed was to get yet another detention.

-->