Unofficial Portkey Archive

Moving On by Konflickted
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Moving On

Konflickted

A/N: This one is not nearly as exciting towards the end as it is in the beginning, but you know that has to happen sometimes.

Disc.: Blah. Blah. Blah.

***

Chapter Twenty-One

James walked into the common room slowly, as if trying to sneak in. He knew that no one was going to believe he had been there all night, as his dorm mates had probably waited up to see what kind of date Lily Evans had cooked up for James. James grinned to himself. He couldn't have imagined a better date. If ever he needed confirmation, he had it. Lily was the most perfect woman.

"James," Lily breathed in his ear as she followed him quietly into the common room. He turned quickly, standing face to face with her. She smiled and leaned forward, pressing her lips to his. He felt their softness against his and for a moment he wondered if his would feel dry against hers, since he never used lip balm even when he needed it. He hesitated, not wanting to rush things. She buried her hands in his messy hair, deepening the kiss. Her tongue touching and caressing his own, James' heart rate increased and his found his hands on her face, holding her to him. He leaned into her, eagerly kissing her back. She stepped away.

"Easy there, Potter," Lily said softly as she struggled to catch her breath. She smiled at him. "You… you're a very good kisser."

"I've had a lot of practice," James said quickly without thinking. Lily rolled her eyes.

"That's not exactly something a girl wants to hear, especially after just kissing her," Lily said as James hit himself in the middle of the forehead. She smiled. "I am going to try and catch a few hours of sleep. It will difficult, though."

"Why?" James asked. Lily smirked.

"Oh, I don't know," Lily said as she kissed his cheek. She walked away, heading up the stairs to the girls dormitory. James watched her disappear before he headed up the stairs to his own dormitory. He quietly opened the door, pushing it open as quietly as he could. The room was bathed in darkness. It was nearing seven, and he was thankful that the thick drapes were pulled closed across the windows tightly. James placed his bag on the floor and climbed into bed, removing everything but his boxer shorts.

He was tired, having not been able to sleep at the inn. Lily had slept, he was aware of that, her eyes closed against the night. He had spent the hours memorizing her face, every detail. Her mouth perfectly shaped. She had sighed in sighed in her sleep, rolled towards him. Her arm crossed his body, and there was no way that James was going to be able to get wink of sleep. James tucked an arm behind his head, looking up at the canopy of his bed.

"James?" a voice whispered in the darkness. James tried to ignore it until a huge, shaggy black dog bound on his bed. James groaned as the dog lapped at his face, and James tried to push him away to have Sirius appear on top of him.

"Why must you lick me?" James asked as he wiped his face. Sirius laughed.

"Come on, Prongs," Sirius laughed. "You know you like it."

"Whatever," James laughed.

"Oh, Merlin," Sirius said as James pushed him off. "You reek of her!"

"What?" James said frowning as he lifted his arm and smelled it. Remus climbed in bed with James and Sirius.

"It's not a bad thing," Remus told James. "It's just our super sniffers. You smell strongly of her. It's a beautiful smell, no doubt, but it is the strongest we've smell ever aside from her actual being the source. Kind of curious, how close you two were. You smell like you were rolling around together all night, James. What were you two up to?"

"Better off, where have you been?" Sirius asked. "We stayed up until McGonagall threatened us with detention for the rest of the year."

"I was on my date," James said evasively as he picked lint off his blanket. Sirius pushed him down against the bed and threatened to lick his face again.

"You'd better start talking," Sirius threatened as he stuck his tongue out. "I'll start licking and I won't even change over to do it."

"Fine, fine," laughed James as he struggled to sit again. "Ok."

"Good," Sirius said as he let James up. "Oh, and put some pants on will you? I don't want to catch a sneak peak of Little James." James pulled on his sweatpants that Remus had retrieved from the floor and climbed back under his blanket between Sirius and Remus.

"She took me to Peru and I met…" James started. He went through every little detail of the day before, recanting his time with Lily. Sirius and Remus listened candidly. James was excited as he talked about the day. He showed the other the snitch, the uniform, and the other things from the night. When he was done talking, he sat back.

"Wow," Sirius said.

"I told you she wouldn't do anything evil," Remus said crossing his arms against his tee-shirted chest.

"Like hell she didn't," Sirius said. Remus and James looked at him in confusion.

"What are you getting on about?" James asked.

"Well, think about it," Sirius said. "You give it your all, and you fall painfully short. She seemingly does nothing and she is victorious. You look like a jerk now. She gave you the date of a life time and you gave her the worst date of her life."

"Shit," James said. "You're right."

"Don't listen to him," Remus said quietly. "He's just jealous that he didn't get to meet the Peruvian Fighting Fish."

"Hell, I'll admit it whole heartedly, I'm jealous," Sirius said. "She's perfect. I'd love to date her. But it doesn't change the fact that you gave her the date from hell and she gave you the most perfect day imaginable."

"I hate to say it, but Sirius has a point," Remus said quietly. James rolled his eyes.

"Wow, you changed sides quick there, man. I'll make it up to her, some way," James promised. The three sat in silence.

"You have to admit though, she's pretty cool to think of the thing you'd love most of all," Sirius said grinning. "Man, why can't I find a girl like that?"

"She's definitely one of a kind," James said. Remus nodded.

"Man, I'm starving," Sirius said suddenly breaking another silence that had stretched between them. "Let's go grab some grub."

Dressed, the three left their dormitory, not even bothering to wake Peter who was drooling copiously on his pillow. They strutted into the great hall, their gaze fixed on the Gryffindor table. Early morning light poured in the window, bathing Lily in a glow. She was reading a book. Sirius grinned at James, raising his eyebrows.

"So, Lily," Sirius said as he took one of the seats across from her. She didn't look up, just continued to read and eat. "We heard about the wonderful date that you and James had."

"Mmhm," Lily murmured as she turned the page.

"So, we were wondering when you were planning to introduce us to the Peruvian Fighting Fish," Sirius asked as he glanced at Remus and James. Lily sighed and turned the page, not responding.

"I know we just had our second date," James said as he began to load eggs up on his plate. "I was wondering when you thought you'd be willing to let me have another crack at a date with you. You know, with me planning and it? I think I could do better."

"When?" Lily asked looking up at him. James swallowed nervously.

"What?" James asked.

"When would you want to go on the next date?" Lily asked. She glanced down at her watch. "Look, just think about it and let me know. I've got a meeting with the tutors in ten minutes."

Lily stood. She finished her drink and scooped up her backpack. She waved at them as she headed out of the great hall. James looked at Remus and Sirius, shrugging and started working on his breakfast.

Lily stood in the prefects meeting room, looking at the tutors that had agreed to meet. Severus Snape sat in the chair closest to her, listening as Lily went over the different aspects of the tutoring that they should be doing. She excused the other tutors and told them she would post their lists by the next Tuesday. Lily remained in the meeting room, going over her own methods for tutor.

"Hey, Lily," Severus said as he came and sat down on the edge of her desk. Lily looked up at him frowning.

"Yes?" Lily said.

"Can I talk to you?" He asked. She nodded.

"Only if you get off my desk like that," Lily said as she pointed to a chair. Severus reluctantly pulled himself off the edge of the desk and took one of the seats near the fire. Lily joined him, sitting a few chairs from him.

"I was wondering, Lily, if you'd like to go on a date with me?" Severus said. Lily shook her head.

"I don't think so, Severus," Lily said. "I'm dating James right now.'

"That pompous, arrogant prick," Severus growled.

"Be that as it may, he can be very sweet," Lily said. "I really like him a lot."

"More than you like me?" Severus asked as he moved closer to her, his hand resting on her hand. Lily hesitated.

"I like him differently. You're a good friend to me, Severus, but I'm not attracted to you," Lily said carefully as she moved away from him. She stood and crossed the room.

"And Potter?" Severus asked. "Are you attracted to Potter?"

"I…" Lily said as she hesitated. "I really like him a lot. I can see myself being with him."

"That's not fair, Lily," Severus said as his temper rose. "I would have given you the world."

"I know that, Severus," Lily said as she felt him move closer. She cringed as he wrapped his arms around her.

"I love you Lily," Severus whispered. His mouth was close to her ear.

"I don't love you," Lily said as she pulled away. "I don't think that you and I should be alone together anymore, Severus. I'm sorry. You've made it impossible for us to just be friends, and it is kinder this way."

Severus' dark eyes flashed with fury but he nodded stiffly and left the meeting room. Lily shivered at the cool air that seemed to have taken over the room. She extinguished the fire and left the room, closing the door behind her.

-->