Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Don't hate us for another cliffie! Please read and review! We're so glad you guys love this story!

"Where have you been?" Lavender hissed.

"What are you doing up?" Hermione asked.

"Don't turn this around on me," Lavender folded her arms. "I was worried about you!"

"I... fell asleep near one of the paddocks," Hermione lied. "Ridiculous of me, to be quite honest."

Lavender raised an eyebrow. "What were you doing outside?"

"Just hoping for a closer look at the dragons," Hermione said.

"But you---you set your pillows up," Lavender argued. "You set them up so it would look like you were in there..."

"I didn't want word getting back to Ha-- Mr. Potter or Lupin," Hermione covered.

Lavender looked at her friend. "You know, if there's something going on with you and you need to talk---"

"Nothing," Hermione lied, feeling terrible. "But what about you? How was your walk?" she was eager to change the subject.

"Absolutely fantastic," Lavender replied, forgetting about where Hermione had been. "He's taking me to the ball, Hermione."

"That's lovely," Hermione was happy for her friend.

Lavender told her about getting up close and personal with Velma and the baby dragon. "It was amazing."

Hermione was envious. "You got to touch the baby?"

Lavender nodded. "She really took to me. And... and so did Charlie."

"I'm glad," Hermione replied.

"It's going to be so great to go to the ball with someone I'm absolutely crazy about," Lavender gushed.

Hermione smiled wistfully. "You're very lucky, Lavender."

Lavender nodded. She still had an hour before they had to be awake. "I'm going back to bed. I'm really glad that you're okay."

"Thanks," Hermione replied. "Sorry to have made you worry."

Lavender smiled reassuringly at her before slipping back into her bed.

Hermione pulled her covers up and shut her eyes, thinking of what had happened during the course of the night. She couldn't believe Harry was in love with her too. It just seemed so unreal!

She felt bad for lying to Lavender. Covering up how she felt and where she was wasn't easy.

It was going to be difficult keeping this a secret, especially with their feelings out in the open now.

But, Hermione thought as a smile played on her lips, he was definitely worth it.

*** *** ***

Ron walked into the dining room the next morning, feeling a little grumpy. He was still moping over the fact that Luna wouldn't be coming with him to the Halloween ball.

"Cheer up, Ron," Charlie said smiling at his younger brother. "We have waffles."

"Yeah, yeah." Ron dropped down on the bench beside him. "I slept horribly."

"I heard that Justin bloke cleaned you out at poker," Charlie joked.

Ron glared at him. "Whatever."

"So how are things with you and Luna?" Charlie asked. "You're still seeing her, right?"

Ron nodded. "But she can't come back for the Ball."

Charlie poured himself a glass of juice. "You could always ask someone else. Just as friends..."

"I was thinking about asking Lavender," Ron replied.

"You can't," Charlie said before he could stop himself.

Ron shrugged. "I can. Luna said she'd be okay with it. And Lavender and I do have a history together."

"No I mean, you really can't." Charlie said. "Lavender's already got a date."

Ron raised an eyebrow. "With who?"

"Me," Charlie answered.

Ron spit out his juice. "I'm sorry. Did you say----you?"

"She asked me to go last night," Charlie told him.

So that was why Lavender was so concerned with who Charlie was dating, Ron thought to himself.

"But you can't go out with her," Ron said.

"And why not?" Charlie asked.

"Because for one thing, she and I dated," Ron said.

"So?" Charlie asked. "She's cute and I like her, and she likes me."

Ron gaped at him. "You're seven years older than she is!"

"Your point being what?" Charlie asked calmly.

"You're an old man and she's just a girl," Ron pointed out as if the answer should have been obvious.

"Why does this bother you so much?" Charlie asked. "Are you jealous?"

"How would you feel if I started dating one of your ex-girlfriends?" Ron argued.

Charlie refused to let his younger brother's arguments get to him. "I suppose it would depend on the ex girlfriend."

"Gemma Bransford," Ron said off the top of his head. Charlie had dated Gemma all throughout his sixth and seventh years at Hogwarts.

"Good luck with that," Charlie said. "She's married and has two children."

Ron glared at him. "It's just WEIRD, okay?"

"What's weird?" a familiar voice asked.

Charlie smiled. "Good morning, Lavender."

"Hi," she smiled at him. "I was hoping to run into you."

"You look rather nice this morning," Charlie said pouring her a glass of juice.

Ron rolled his eyes. "She's had that jumper for over a year."

"And she looks great in it," Charlie answered. "Merlin, Ron."

Lavender sat down beside Charlie. "Something smells delicious."

"Waffles," Charlie said. "Would you like some?"

"I'd love some," Lavender said. "With loads of syrup."

"I've taught you well," Charlie said with a grin. He put a couple of the waffles on her plate and smothered them with syrup.

"When did you start eating syrup?" Ron asked the blonde.

Lavender shrugged. "I indulge every now and then. Everything in moderation. Right, Charlie?"

"And I say you never looked better for it," he winked flirtatiously.

Lavender blushed. "So, Ron...how was the game last night?"

"Don't ask him," Charlie cut in. "That Justin guy cleaned his clock."

"Ask Justin to play you in chess," Lavender said smiling at Ron. "No one can beat you at that."

Ron nodded. "Might just do that."

"I taught him how to play," Charlie told her.

"Really?" Lavender asked him, not noticing Jessica sitting down across from them. "Ron taught me a trick or two."

"I was her first love," Ron said pointedly to Charlie.

"I was not in love with you," Lavender shot back.

"You two make a really nice couple," Jessica chimed in to Ron and Lavender. "Don't they, Charlie?"

"They're not a couple, Jess." Charlie said, amused.

"They're not?" Jessica asked. "Oh..."

"We were," Ron corrected.

"Several years ago," Lavender added.

"Ron is dating a really sweet girl named Luna now," Charlie told Jessica.

"I see," Jessica nodded.

"And Charlie and I are going to the Ministry ball together," Lavender said happily.

The smile on Jessica's face fell. "You are?"

"She asked me last night," Charlie grinned back at the blonde.

"How nice," Jessica said quietly.

For a moment, Lavender pitied the black haired girl.

Jessica pushed her plate away. "I'm actually not very hungry. I'm going to go and check on something..."

"Jess, waffles are your favourite breakfast," Charlie said.

Jessica didn't respond to him and hurried out of the kitchen.

"What's wrong with her?" Charlie wondered aloud.

"Okay," Ron said. "I'm by no means, the smartest bloke in the world, but come on, Charlie! That girl fancies you!"

"Jess?" Charlie asked strangely. "She's a friend."

"Something tells me she'd like to be more," Ron said. "I can't believe you didn't see it."

"I'm not interested in her," Charlie looked over at Lavender, who blushed.

"You could have broken the news a little better," Ron said pushing back from his chair.

"Ron--" Charlie began.

"I'll see you later," Ron grumbled.

"What's his problem?" Lavender asked Charlie.

"He was thinking of asking you to the ball since Luna can't go," Charlie told her. "When I told him that you are I were going together, he didn't handle it too well."

Lavender looked baffled. "Why should it matter to him?"

"I don't know," Charlie said. "I suppose I should talk to Jess later and see what's going on."

"Maybe," Lavender reached for his hand. "But you know what? Let them say what they want. If we want to be together then that's all that matters."

"I like the way you think," Charlie said squeezing her hand.

Lavender leaned in and pecked him quickly on the lips.

Upstairs, Hermione was just stepping out into the corridor. She'd slept a little later than she'd wanted to given what had happened last night.

She hoped breakfast was still going on as she hurried down to the kitchen.

She'd just put her hand on the doorknob when someone grabbed her arm.

"Hey!" she spun around.

Harry grinned and pressed her up against the wall. "Everyone's inside the kitchen. We're safe."

She smiled at him. "Good morning."

Harry pressed his lips to hers. "It is now."

Hermione slid her arms around him, pulling him even closer to her.

He kissed her again, wishing he could take her back upstairs and forget about everything.

"Can we meet again tonight?" Hermione asked.

"Same time?" Harry asked.

"Yes," Hermione nodded. "Works for me."

He rested his forehead on hers. "Thank you for last night. Not just for obvious reasons, but for being there for me."

She brushed back his wild hair. "Anytime," she said softly.

"I love you," he whispered.

"I love you too," Hermione kissed him.

Ernie hurried downstairs. He was late and he planned on reaming Justin out for not waking him before he'd left the room.

"Come on," Hermione pulled away from Harry. "I'm starving."

"Me too," Harry said. "You should quit distracting me."

"Very funny," Hermione said dryly, walking ahead of him.

"Good morning, Harry," Ernie said tightly.

Harry spun around. "Ernie!"

Ernie looked at him. "Alright?"

"Fine," he said hurriedly. "You? Sleep well?"

"Like a log," Ernie replied. He nodded at Hermione. "Hermione."

"Morning," Hermione answered.

Ernie couldn't help thinking they both looked a little...spooked, for want of a better word.

Harry opened the kitchen door. "After you."

"Thank you," Hermione stepped past him.

Ernie followed her inside.

Hermione smiled as she saw Lavender and Charlie sitting closely together. "Morning you two," she said, sitting down.

"Morning," Lavender said happily.

"Or is it more like afternoon?" Hermione joked.

"You tell me," Lavender grinned. "Charlie, you're not going to believe this, but Hermione fell asleep in the paddocks last night."

"You did?" Charlie asked. "How'd you manage that- we check those every night before we lock up."

"I--I couldn't sleep last night," Hermione said. "So I went for a walk."

Lavender looked at her suspiciously.

"So, what's on tap for today, Charlie?" Hermione asked changing the subject.

"Well," Charlie said. "We're going to take you around to the rest of the dragon paddocks, possibly let some of you get in up close to them."

"I can't wait," Hermione said.

Harry sat down on Charlie's other side. "Morning," he said.

"Morning, Harry," Charlie said. "How are you?"

"Good," Harry replied. "Had a good night's rest."

Hermione looked around the dining room. Everyone in their group was accounted for except for Ron. She caught Ernie's eye and she wondered why he was staring at her.

"Something I can help you with?" she asked coolly.

"No," Ernie replied. "Not at all."

"Then why are you watching me?" she demanded.

"Easy, Granger," Ernie said. "I was just trying to get Justin's attention."

"Then stare at him," Hermione glared at the other boy.

Ernie wanted to tell her to shut her damn mouth, but he thought better of it.

"Everything okay?" Harry watched the little exchange.

"Absolutely," Ernie said. "Lavender, can you pass that plate, please?"

"Sure," Lavender pushed the waffles towards him.

Lavender looked across the table at Harry. "Um, Harry?"

"Yeah?" Harry asked.

"I was wondering if you were taking anyone to the ball," Lavender said.

"I was planning on going stag," Harry answered.

"You can't go alone!" Lavender exclaimed. "Look, I know Dean messed up when he set you up with that horrid Megan, but I can find someone for you. Ernie---Hannah Abbott, she's still single isn't she?"

"I'm going by myself," Harry said firmly.

"What about you, Hermione?" Ernie asked. "Did you tell Justin yes yet?"

"We're just going as friends," Hermione murmured.

"And I promised not to step all over her toes," Justin said coming up behind her and putting his arms around her neck in a teasing gesture.

"Right," Hermione said uncomfortably, pulling away.

Lavender beamed at Justin. She was glad that Hermione was giving him another chance. Perhaps this time sparks would fly.

Eloise had just sat down. "I wish I had a date," she said wistfully, with a meaningful look at Justin.

Ernie grinned. "There you go, Harry. You could take Eloise."

"I'm. Going. Stag." Harry said, his eyes darkening as Justin sat down closely to Hermione.

"And he can't date a student," Eloise pointed out. "That would be absolutely against the rules."

"We're not talking date exclusively," Ernie sensed this was making Harry uncomfortable and was determined to milk it. "Just going to the Ball."

"Maybe you should be more concerned about finding your own date than worrying about Harry," Hermione shot back.

Ernie glared at her.

"Right then," Harry said looking at Charlie. "We'll be setting off in what---ten minutes?"

Charlie nodded. "We'll meet everyone just outside."

Hermione shared a look with Harry. She was glad to hear that he wasn't going to the ball with anyone. She wished she hadn't told Justin that she'd go with him.

She also wished Lavender would stop giving her those suspicious glances as well, and stop trying to push her towards a relationship with Justin.

Jessica came back into the dining room and made a beeline for Harry. She bent down and whispered something in Harry's ear.

"What?" Harry turned to look at her.

"You know that demonstration you asked us to set up?" Jessica asked him. "I was wondering if you could give me some help on the back paddock?"

"Sure," he answered. "I'd be happy to."

Lavender watched the two of them leave the dining area and she winked at Charlie. "Maybe you won't have to talk with her after all. I think she's got someone else in her sights."

"Harry needs to be careful," Charlie said thoughtfully. "Jess is great, but she's a little bit fickle."

Lavender thought that was obvious given how she forgot about Charlie and moved on to someone else in a matter of minutes.

"Do we have time for a quick walk together before we meet up?" She asked Charlie, turning her attention back to him.

"Probably not," Charlie replied. "But we could go outside and snog."

Lavender grinned. "I love the way your mind works, Weasley."

Eloise slid down to sit beside Hermione after Lavender and Charlie left. "I wish I had someone interested in me like that," Eloise lamented.

"Why wouldn't you?" Hermione asked absently.

"I'm not pretty," Eloise said sadly. "And I've...well, I've never even kissed a bloke before."

Hermione turned to properly look at Eloise. "You are too pretty," she contradicted.

Eloise smiled at her. "Thanks, Hermione, but I don't think blokes see me like that."

"Perhaps it's because you don't see yourself like that," Hermione told her. "You're a nice girl, you're smart, and you're attractive. Blokes would be mad to pass you up."

Eloise shrugged and watched as Justin and Ernie left the dining area.

"Is there anyone you're interested in?" Hermione asked her.

"Not really," Eloise lied. "Well...there is one..."

"Who?" Hermione asked curiously. "I won't say anything, I promise."

"You might get mad," Eloise said blushing.

Hermione's heart sank- she wondered if Eloise also had her sights set on Harry. "I won't get mad," she said weakly.

"Justin," Eloise whispered.

For a moment she thought she hadn't heard right. "You fancy Justin?"

"We were both in Hufflepuff at Hogwarts," Eloise explained. "He's the smartest and sweetest bloke in the whole world."

"Why didn't you ask him to the Ball then?" Hermione asked her.

"He asked you," Eloise said sadly.

"We're just friends," Hermione explained. "Honestly."

Eloise stood up and together the two of them walked out of the dining room and toward the front door. "How could you not fancy him, Hermione?"

"He's just not my type," Hermione answered.

The two girls stepped outside and Eloise gasped. "It's freezing!"

Hermione shivered. "I didn't realise it would be this cold!"

Charlie smiled at the assembled group. "Okay, I hope that you lot are feeling brave. Today, you are going to battle a dragon."

Ron gulped. "BATTLE a dragon?"

"Relax," Charlie told his brother. "You'll be going up against a simulator."

Ron relaxed. "That's better."

Charlie led the group toward the paddocks. Hermione smiled while Eloise catalogued all of Justin's great qualities. Eloise definitely had it bad.

"Would you like me to hint around for you?" Hermione offered.

"You'd do that?" Eloise asked.

"Sure," Hermione nodded.

Eloise beamed at her. "Thanks, Hermione. You're such a good friend."

Lavender giggled. "Hey, you guys. I think Harry might have a candidate for the ball...take a look at that!"

Hermione looked over and saw Jessica holding onto Harry's arm and laughing at something he said.

"No, you didn't!" Jessica exclaimed.

"I did," Harry said chuckling. "But you'd know all about that..."

"Maybe," Jessica answered coyly.

Hermione bit her lower lip and turned away. She hated the fact that she was so jealous right now.

"They actually look really good together," Lavender commented.

"She's really pretty," Eloise volunteered.

"She's hot," Ernie chimed in. He had a feeling there was something going on between Granger and Potter and he was going to test the waters, so to speak.

Hermione shrugged. "Yes, she's very pretty." she tried to act as if this didn't bother her.

"I'd be willing to bet, he'll be busy tonight getting to know her better," Ernie said to Justin, knowing full well Hermione could hear him.

"Man, I would do that too," Justin said covetously.

"Should we get something to hose the two of you down?" Lavender asked rolling her eyes.

"Sod off," Ernie said to her.

Harry helped Jessica finish setting up the simulated dragon.

"I feel a bit like a princess in the tall tower," Jessica flirted. "And you're the brave knight coming to rescue me..."

Harry smiled. "I'm hardly a brave knight." he replied.

"I've read the stories and heard enough about you from Charlie," Jessica said. "You're definitely a brave knight."

Harry shrugged modestly. "I think we've got this..."

"Right," Jessica smiled at him. "Thank you for helping me."

"Sure," he nodded. "Thanks for doing this for my group."

"I'd do anything for you," Jessica said touching his arm. "All you have to do is ask."

Harry nodded, feeling slightly uncomfortable. "Um.... thanks."

He stood in front of the group. "Okay, everyone. Part of being an Auror is protecting the Wizarding world from all forces---be it witch, wizard, animal, or creature. The key is being prepared for any eventuality."

The group nodded. "Would we ever really have to battle a dragon?" Eloise asked.

"It's quite possible," Harry told her. "You have to be prepared."

"But today's only a simulation right?" Hermione asked.

Harry nodded. "Only a simulation. Now, I'll demonstrate and then you each will have a go."

Hermione stood back and kept one eye on Jessica, the other on Harry. Was he really interested in that girl?

"Okay," Charlie said. "We'll start off with the Hungarian Horntail since Harry's so well-acquainted with those."

Harry nodded as he drew his wand. "What you'll want to watch for is any weaknesses in the dragon."

The group watched as the simulator transformed itself into the image of a Hungarian Horntail.

"That's amazing," Hermione said in awe.

The simulator roared its head back and shot flames in Harry's direction.

Harry blocked the flames with a shielding spell then sent a spell rocketing at the dragon's underbelly.

Instead of standing there to watch how the dragon would retaliate, he used its momentary distraction to his advantage and moved behind it.

"This is so incredible," Lavender said, her eyes wide.

Ernie rolled his eyes. Potter was just showing off in front of Jessica.

Harry used a few more spells, ducking around the dragon before the simulation was defeated.

The trainees, save for Ernie, gave him a round of applause.

"That was amazing," Justin clapped him on the back.

"Thank you," Harry said. "Now, who wants to go first?"

"I'll go," Ernie stepped forward confidently. He'd show them how this was really done.

"Alright," Harry said. "Once you step into the paddock, you'll have about 30 seconds before the simulation begins."

"I don't need them," Ernie brushed past him.

"Come on, Ernie!" Justin encouraged.

"This is going to be a piece of cake," Ernie smirked.

Charlie used his wand to activate the simulator, which again transformed into a Hungarian Horntail.

"Could this get any easier?" Ernie asked, raising his wand.

The Horntail came to life and charged at him.

Ernie shouted a spell that would confuse the dragon, but it only came closer to him.

"Come on, Ernie!" Justin shouted.

Harry had a feeling Ernie's cockiness would come back to bite him in the arse, but he didn't think it would happen this quickly.

Ernie trained his wand on the dragon as it reared back its head and shot flames in his direction.

He managed to douse the flames, but only just before they reached him.

Ernie turned and smirked at the group.

"Watch out!" Ron hollered at him.

Ernie turned to see the dragon roaring toward him. He managed to just get out of the way before its large tail came down on him.

"Shit," he muttered, glad this wasn't a real dragon.

"Shut it down," Harry said to Jessica.

Jessica obliged immediately. "Is he okay?"

"I'm fine," Ernie said stalking back out. He would have had it if he'd had a little more time to prepare.

"You made a classic mistake," Harry said. "You turned your back."

"I thought it was over when I doused the flames," Ernie said defensively.

"You can't assume that," Harry told him.

Ernie leaned back against a tree and sulked while Harry went through every thing he'd done wrong.

"Okay," Harry said surveying the group. "Who wants to have a go?"

Hermione hesitantly raised her hand. "I-I'll try."

"All right," Harry nodded and smiled at her. "In you go. Remember, you have thirty seconds once inside before the simulation starts."

"Come on, Hermione!" Lavender yelled. "Kick some dragon arse!"

Hermione felt very nervous as she stepped into the paddock. She'd never faced a dragon before. She tried to remember every defensive spell she knew.

"You'll do fine," Harry said to her as he closed the gate.

Hermione took a deep breath.

"You're going to face the Norwegian Ridgeback," Charlie called out to her.

"Okay," she answered, readying herself.

The Ridgeback came to life and turned its cold eyes in her direction. Hermione's hand was shaking as she pointed her wand.

She shot out the first spell that came to mind- it sent a ball of fire rocketing past the dragon's shoulder. When it turned, she remembered what Harry had done and sent another spell towards its underside.

"She's doing it!" Lavender squealed.

Harry felt quite proud as he watched Hermione take on the simulated dragon.

As its last act, the dragon shot flames in Hermione's direction.

Using a shielding spell, the flames were harmless and Hermione emerged unscathed.

"Brilliant!" Lavender squealed, giving her friend a hug when she came out of the paddock.

"Thanks," Hermione was grinning from ear to ear.

"Good job, Granger," Harry grinned at her.

"Thank you," she blushed.

One by one, the rest of the trainees had a chance to go up against a dragon, with varying results. By far, Hermione was the best.

"You did a good job," Hermione told Ron when he came out of the paddock.

Ron puffed out his chest. "He was no match for me."

Lavender laughed. "If you say so, Ron."

"We'll take a quick break before we move on," Charlie told them. "There's water and snacks in the barn."

"I'm starved," Ron eagerly set out.

"When aren't you?" Lavender teased, wanting to make sure that things were okay with Ron. She didn't have a romantic interest in him anymore, but she wanted to remain friends and he was Charlie's brother.

"Never," Ron hurried away from her.

Charlie knew what she was trying to do. "He'll come around, Lav."

"I hope so," Lavender replied, taking his hand.

Harry was about to call out to Hermione when Jessica grabbed his hand. "Would you mind giving me a hand? I need help putting the simulator in the barn."

"Uh... sure." Harry replied.

"Great," Jessica said linking her arm in his.

Hermione watched this exchange before turning and heading into the barn. She liked this girl Jessica less and less as the day went on.

"You really did an amazing job," Jessica gushed to Harry.

"Thanks," Harry answered. "But I really just wanted my students to get the experience."

Jessica looked flirtatiously at him. "How would you like to sit at my table tonight?"

"I really shouldn't separate myself from the group," Harry answered. "But you could sit with us if you want."

Jessica stood at the front of the simulator while Harry stood at the back. Together, they pushed it into the barn. Jessica smiled at Harry. "I'd love to sit with you tonight."

Hermione heard this and nearly dropped her cup of water.