Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

Authors' note: Sorry we didn't post this last night! We were both busily writing Last Dance and forgot! We hope that you enjoy the latest chapter!

Harry was sitting at the counter and Hermione felt butterflies in her stomach as she approached him.

"Hi," she said softly, sliding into the chair next to him.

Harry turned and smiled at her. "Hi."

She leaned in and gave him a kiss. "I've been waiting to do that all day."

"Me too," Harry said still looking at her. "You straightened your hair..."

"Lavender helped me get ready," Hermione said. "I told her I was going to dinner with my parents."

He knew that she hated lying to Lavender and he gave her hand a reassuring squeeze. "You look beautiful."

"Thanks," Hermione smiled at him. "You look very handsome as well."

Harry tugged at his tie. "I usually hate wearing these things."

"It suits you," Hermione smoothed out his shirt.

He didn't tell her about what had happened with Padma Patil earlier or how when he'd returned home, he could still hear the other girl's words in his head.

"Come on," Hermione said. "Let's get going."

"Right," Harry said standing up and offering her his arm.

Hermione blushed and took it. "You're quite the gentleman."

"I've had lessons," he said with a wink.

"You mean you're not a natural?" Hermione teased gently.

"Certain people bring out the best in me," Harry said holding the door for her. "I want tonight to be special for you."

"It already is," Hermione told him as they went around the corner to the alley.

"Would you allow me to do the honours?" Harry asked.

"Of course," Hermione purred.

"Hold on to me," he said softly.

"That won't be hard," Hermione said, wrapping her arms around his middle.

Harry rested his forehead on hers and held her close.

A moment later, Hermione opened her eyes to find them in Paris.

"Welcome to Paris," Harry said smiling down at her.

"So glad to be back," Hermione pressed her lips to his.

"I love you," Harry whispered.

"I love you too," Hermione said softly.

He knew that the safest thing for Hermione would be to let her go. Being with him could be dangerous and the last thing he wanted was to lose someone else he loved. But, he knew that he couldn't have let her go. He was that selfish.

"Come on," Hermione said. "The restaurant is this way."

"Lead the way Mademoiselle Granger," Harry said taking her hand.

"It's this way," Hermione said.

A few moments later, they were standing in the restaurant waiting to be seated.

"Two please," Harry said, squeezing her hand.

The maitre'd nodded. "May I take your coat, mademoiselle?"

"Yes, thank you," Hermione replied.

Harry hadn't seen her dress yet and he lost all coherent thought when he looked at her.

"What?" she asked, a bit self consciously.

"I think your young man thinks you look beautiful," the maitre'd said smiling at her.

Hermione blushed. "Thank you," she said softly.

"She took my breath away," Harry said defensively.

Hermione laughed shyly. "Thanks Harry."

"Right this way," the maitre'd said.

Harry slid an arm around Hermione's waist as they headed for their table.

The maitre'd held Hermione's chair out for her.

Hermione sat down and thanked the man.

"Could we get a bottle of your finest champagne please?" Harry asked.

"Absolutely," the man replied.

"This is a night to celebrate," Harry said to Hermione.

Hermione smiled at him. "What are we celebrating?"

"Us," Harry reached for her hand. "Our first real date. And the fact that I've found someone new that means as much as you do to me."

Hermione beamed at him. "I just wish we had more time here. I have so many things I could show you."

"We do have two weeks off for Christmas," Harry said. "We could always come back."

"Really?" Hermione asked excitedly.

"Unless you have plans with your family---" Harry started to say.

"No," Hermione said quickly. "I'd love to spend that time with you."

"Two weeks of this," Harry said softly. "Not having to worry about someone catching us..."

"And being together every single night," Hermione added dreamily.

"Waking up together," Harry continued.

"And just lying in bed together," Hermione said mischievously.

"Doing whatever we want," Harry said huskily.

A waiter brought over their champagne and took their orders.

"I'm so excited already," Hermione said in a low voice as Harry poured them both some champagne.

"I'll even let you drag me to the Louvre," Harry said.

"You are my kind of guy," Hermione laughed.

Harry leaned back in his chair. "So...have you heard from your parents?"

Hermione shook her head. "I was toying with the idea of sending them an owl... I mean, they're stubborn but they ARE my parents."

"They'll come around especially when they hear about how well their daughter is doing," Harry said.

"They still think I should be a dentist, I'm sure." Hermione rolled her eyes.

"Mrs. Weasley, Ron's mother, probably would have liked it if I'd just stayed in my godfather's house and become a recluse," Harry said. "She's overprotective."

"It sounds as if she cares about you a great deal," Hermione replied.

"She's the closest thing I have to a mum," Harry said.

"Ron hasn't' been so bad lately," Hermione offered.

"He said the same about you," Harry said.

"Imagine that," Hermione shook her head.

"He means well," Harry defended his best friend. "He sometimes doesn't think before he speaks. Kind of gets him into trouble."

"I figured that out the first day," Hermione said dryly. "But he's quite dedicated to his girlfriend. He hardly stops talking about her."

"Luna's been really good for him," Harry told her. "I think you'd like her."

"Perhaps someday I'll get to meet her," Hermione replied.

"You will," Harry promised.

Hermione reached for his hand and squeezed it.

"And maybe I'll meet your family," Harry said.

Hermione nodded. "I really should talk to my parents."

"You said that you'd always gotten along with them," Harry said. "Until you decided to follow a different career path..."

Hermione nodded. "They don't understand anything about our world."

That sounded a bit like his aunt and uncle, Harry thought to himself. Though, he doubted that Hermione's parents were that vicious and close-minded. They probably thought they knew what was best for their daughter and didn't trust her to take care of herself. But, he knew just as well as anyone that she knew how to take care of herself.

"I have to say, the quiche here is absolutely remarkable," Hermione told him.

"Do you think it makes me less of a bloke that you had to order for us?" Harry asked with a grin.

Hermione laughed. "Not at all."

"I should have probably studied basic French before we came here," Harry said.

"It's no big deal," Hermione assured him.

The waiter brought over their starters and Hermione stifled a laugh at the look on his face. "It's really good," she assured him.

"Hermione..." Harry said. "These are SNAILS."

"Escargot," Hermione said. "And they are a delicacy."

"They grow in a garden," Harry said.

"And you didn't complain when I ordered them," Hermione pointed out.

"Because I didn't know what they were!" Harry exclaimed. He watched in revulsion as Hermione ate one. "I hope you don't think I'm going to kiss you later now."

Hermione grinned. "What makes you so sure I would let you? You, Harry Potter, are...a chicken."

Harry stared at her in disbelief. "No one has ever called me a chicken."

"I'm glad that I'm the first," Hermione said before eating another one.

"I'm not eating those," Harry pushed his plate away.

"You've never had them before," Hermione said. "How do you know that you wouldn't like them?"

"Because they're snails," Harry said as if it should be obvious.

Hermione shook her head. "Okay, but you know, sometimes you can step out of your comfort zone and try something new and you might find that you like it."

"Will you stop pestering me if I try one?" Harry asked. "And if I don't like it--"

"I'll not say another word," Hermione promised.

"Fine," Harry stabbed a fork into one on his plate.

Hermione took a sip of her champagne and watched while Harry slowly moved the fork toward his mouth.

He closed his eyes before sticking the snail into his mouth.

"Now's the part where you chew," Hermione said.

"Hermione--" Harry choked out. "There's enough garlic on this thing to kill a vampire."

"At least you tried it," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I don't get how you can eat those," Harry said.

"I like them," Hermione said defensively.

Harry only shook his head before downing some champagne.

"I can promise you'll like the main course," Hermione said. "It's not snails."

"It's not frog legs is it?" Harry asked warily.

Hermione laughed and shook her head. "No."

Harry sighed in relief. "Thank Merlin."

"Filet Mignon," Hermione reassured him.

"That I can handle," Harry said with a grin.

He watched her as she took a sip of her champagne. This was the first time in his life when he wasn't looking over his shoulder for some unknown evil. He'd never really been able to give his full attention to his relationship with Parvati. But, things with Hermione were quite different.

"What are you thinking about?" she asked.

He didn't know how to really explain what he was thinking about to her.

"About how lucky I am to be here with you," Harry said.

Hermione smiled. "Sometimes I can't believe we've found each other like we did."

"I thought you didn't believe in fate," Harry said.

"She's dealt me a good hand," Hermione joked. "What can I say?"

Harry grinned. "Do you know how nice it is to look at you and not have to pretend that I'm not?"

Hermione laughed. "About as nice as it is to sit here and hold your hand and not worry about who sees us?"

"I just wish we had more time here," Harry replied.

"Like you said," Hermione replied. "We have those two weeks at Christmas."

Harry gave her hand a squeeze. "I can't wait."

"I love you," Hermione said intently.

"I love you," Harry said. He'd said it to her before, but she really was the best thing in his life right now.

"This still feels so unreal," Hermione confessed.

"Unreal?" Harry asked.

"It's just... I mean... I've been reading about you for so long," Hermione began. "And suddenly, you're this huge fixture in my life."

"I hope that's a good thing," Harry said.

"The best thing," Hermione assured him.

The waiter brought out their main courses then and they were silent while they sampled their food.

"How is it?" Hermione asked him.

"Better than the snails," Harry replied.

Hermione laugh. "At least you tried."

"And I'm never going to have one of those ever again," Harry said shaking his head.

"I wouldn't dare make you," she said.

"I'd do just about anything for you," Harry said. "Except eat snails."

Hermione leaned across the table and kissed him.

Harry wished that they could spend the night here, but he knew it was impossible. He tried not to dwell on how little time they actually had, but tried to concentrate on making the most of the time they did have.

After their main courses, the waiter brought over coffee and dessert. Hermione smiled at Harry. "Mousse aux Chocolat Blanc et aux Framboises."

Harry shook his head. "What does that mean?"

"It's a white chocolate mousse with raspberries," Hermione told him.

"That does sound good," Harry replied.

Hermione eagerly took a bite of her dessert. "Mmmmm."

"I could say the same thing about you," Harry said softly.

Hermione blushed.

"I don't think I ever wanted someone so badly in my life," he continued.

Hermione met his gaze and smiled at him.

"Do you think you'll have time to come to my place when we get back to England?" he asked her.

"W-what about curfew?" Hermione asked.

"Don't we gain an hour going back?" he asked, looking at his watch.

"Oh," Hermione replied. "Well, that's different..."

"I just need to be with you," Harry said.

"What do you say to us getting out of here then?" Hermione asked.

"I'm all for it," Harry answered.

Harry motioned for the waiter.

"What can I get you sir?" he asked.

"Bill, please." Harry answered, reaching for his money.

The waiter nodded and brought over their bill. Once it was settled, Harry and Hermione walked out to the lobby where the maitre'd handed them their coats.

Just outside the restaurant, a photographer from the Daily Prophet was waiting to get a photograph of one of the French Ministry's top officials. Their were rumours that he was having an affair with a famous British singer. The photographer was camped out of one of the official's favourite haunts, but so far had not seen anyone of interest.

Harry, completely unaware, opened the door. "After you," he said to Hermione.

The photographer was just about to give up and go home when he spotted Harry Potter of all people coming out of the restaurant following some woman. Instinctively, he reached for his camera.

"Come on," Harry laughed. A bright light to his side startled him and he turned, reaching for his wand.

"What was that?" Hermione asked standing behind him.

Harry pushed Hermione behind him. "Get away from me," he glared at the reporter.

The reporter didn't say anything and before Harry could do anything more, the reporter disapparated.

"How did they know?" Hermione asked. "How did they know we were here?"

"I don't know," Harry answered grimly.

Hermione wondered if the photographer had managed to get her photograph. If they had, she could kiss her dream of being an Auror goodbye and Harry would lose his job.

Harry looked at her. "I don't think he saw you," he offered. "I pushed you behind me too quickly."

"You're sure?" Hermione asked uncertainly.

"I hope so," Harry tried to sound reassuring.

Their perfect evening had come to a not so perfect ending. Harry pulled her into his arms.

"Look," he said. "No matter what happens--"

Hermione looked up at him. "Let's get out of here ...before they come back."

"Right," Harry took her hand and they hurried down to the alley they'd Apparated to.

Hermione's mind was whirling with questions. What would happen if the photographer had gotten her photograph?

Harry Apparated them both back to his flat, but it was obvious neither of them was in the mood anymore.

Hermione sank down onto the sofa. They'd had such a great time. Could someone have found out where they were going?

"Hey," Harry sat down next to her. "It'll be okay."

There was no way he could know that, but Hermione really wanted to believe him. She rested her head on his shoulder.

He rubbed her shoulder. "Tonight..." he said. "Tonight was one of the best nights I've had in a long, long time."

"Until---" Hermione started to say.

"Let's not worry about it until it happens," he said.

"Tomorrow everything could crash down around us," Hermione said quietly.

Harry sighed. "I'm used to that."

"I'm sorry," Hermione said sitting up and looking at him. "We should have just stayed home..."

"No," Harry shook his head. "I wanted to take you out. You deserved a real date."

"And look at what that might cost us," Hermione said. "This is your career, Harry."

Harry sighed, raking his fingers through his hair.

"I know how much it means to you," Hermione said. "You're a great teacher and if your involvement with me put that in jeopardy..."

"Hermione," Harry said. "You mean more to me than that stupid job."

Hermione leaned in and gave him a gentle kiss.

"You're far more important to me," Harry said, touching her cheek.

"So, whatever happens," Hermione began.

Harry nodded.

"We'll get through it together," Hermione vowed.

Harry reached for her hand and squeezed it. "We don't even know what sorts of photographs he got.

"I wonder if he got that look you get when you're angry," Hermione said pulling a perfect "angry-Harry" face.

Harry shivered. "You're too good at that."

Hermione smiled for the first time since they'd left the restaurant.

"It's going to be okay," Harry said optimistically.

"I hope so," Hermione said softly.

Harry leaned in and kissed her. "It's going to be just fine..."

"How can you be so sure?" Hermione asked.

"I don't know," he said. "I just... I feel different with you. For once in my life I feel like I might just have a future with someone."

Hermione gaped at him. "But---you were with Parvati---"

"I know," Harry nodded. "But being with you is so different."

"Different?" Hermione asked.

"I can't really describe it," Harry replied. "With Parvati... I loved her. I loved being with her. But I always felt like something would eventually go wrong. I never told anyone that."

"Something would go wrong in your relationship?" Hermione asked.

Harry shrugged. "Possibly. I guess I just eventually thought she'd figure out she was too good for me and leave."

Hermione's heart wanted to break at the look on his face. He'd grown up in a house where he hadn't been loved and where the people told him day in and day out that he wasn't worth it. "She loved you very much," Hermione said quietly. She'd known that because of what Lavender had told her.

"I know that now," Harry replied. "But I didn't get to tell her how I felt. So that's why I'm making sure you know."

Hermione reached for his hand. It meant so much to her that he trusted her enough to tell her this.

"I know that you aren't in danger being with me like Parvati was," Harry said quietly. "But I know how short life can be."

"You more than anyone," Hermione said touching his cheek.

"Just so you know what you're getting yourself into," Harry tried to joke.

"I know," Hermione said hugging him tightly.

"Love you," Harry whispered in her ear.

Hermione pulled back to look at him. There was a twinkle in her eyes. "Um...you know, we still have some time left..."

Harry smiled at her. "Yes we do..."

Hermione tugged at his tie. "Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

Harry kissed the side of her neck. "I believe I am..."

Hermione closed her eyes and forgot about what might happen tomorrow if those photographs were published.

"We can stay right here," Harry said huskily.

"Right here," Hermione agreed. "Mmmmm...."

Harry unzipped the dress and slowly began to slide it down her body.

Hermione opened her eyes and looked at him. No one had ever looked at her the way he did and no one made her feel the way he did.

"I really mean it when I say you're the best thing in my life," Harry said softly.

"Something else we have in common," Hermione said grinning at him as she loosened his tie. "You're the best thing in mine."

Harry helped her pull off his tie and then his shirt while she slid the dress off and kicked it aside.

She had a feeling she wouldn't be getting back to the dorms until way after her curfew, but if those pictures were published, it wouldn't matter anyway. Harry, himself, had just said that life was short.

Harry continued kissing over her bare skin, down her neck and moved his lips to the valley between her breasts.

"Yes," Hermione whispered.

Her body arched under his, and Harry wanted nothing more than to bury himself inside her.

"Now," Hermione pleaded, looking up at him.

Harry nodded, unable to speak. He raised himself up on his arms and pushed himself inside her body.

"Kiss me," Hermione whispered.

"Okay," Harry managed, pressing his lips to hers.

Hermione clung to him as he began to move inside her. She wanted all of him.

"Hermione--" Harry choked out, his green eyes locked onto her brown ones.

Hermione tightened her legs around his waist, pulling him in deeper. She was near her own breaking point. "Harry..."

Harry covered her mouth with his, kissing her harder than he ever had.

He pushed into her one last time and Hermione cried out his name again.

With a satisfied groan, Harry collapsed just to her side, trying to catch his breath.

Hermione stared in a daze up at the ceiling.

"You..." Harry brushed a piece of hair off her sweaty forehead. "You are incredible..."

"So are you," Hermione said smiling at him.

"I love you," Harry said, kissing her gently.

"No matter what?" Hermione asked looking up at him.

"No matter what," Harry stroked her cheek.

"It's going to be fine," Hermione said echoing his words from earlier.

Harry smiled at her. "I should get you back," he said regretfully.

Hermione nodded.

"Much as I don't want to," Harry said, helping her up.

Hermione gave him a kiss. Tonight had been perfect, except for that incident outside the restaurant.

"I'll walk back with you," he offered.

Hermione shook her head. "It's too much of a risk."

"I guess you're right," Harry answered as they finished getting dressed. "How about I walk you to the door?"

"I'd like that," Hermione replied.

"When you Apparate there," Harry told her. "Go three doors down from the main entrance. It's not a doorway that traces your entrance, so you may be able to slip in without anyone knowing you're late."

"Thank you," Hermione said putting her arms around him.

"Just be careful," Harry kissed her. "And I'll drop by my office tomorrow around half past one-- I'll bring us lunch."

"We can celebrate or drown our sorrows," Hermione said. "You can help me pack and I can help you pack."

"Hermione--" Harry began.

"Only joking," Hermione said putting her arms around his neck.

"That's better," he said, kissing her again. "I love you."

"I love you," Hermione said softly. "And thank you for the evening."

"We'll do it again soon," Harry promised. "Go somewhere less public and more quiet."

"I hear Antarctica is nice this time of year," Hermione said dryly.

"Very funny," Harry answered. "I'll see you tomorrow."

"Good night," Hermione said opening the door.

Harry watched her Apparate away.

He closed the door and leaned against it. He'd meant what he'd said to Hermione. His job meant a great deal to him. But, she was more important to him.

If it came down to it, he'd quit teaching to be with her.

What he didn't want was for her to lose her place in the program. If their relationship was discovered, they'd kick her out. They just had to be a little more careful.

*** *** ***

Hermione was glad that Lavender had already been asleep when she got home the previous night. She was so tired that she slept in quite late the next morning, and probably would have kept on sleeping into the early afternoon if Lavender's ranting hadn't woken her up.

"I knew it!" Lavender was saying over and over. "I knew he was seeing someone!"

Hermione grumpily through the pillow over her head.

Lavender looked over at her roommate. "Hermione get up," she said impatiently. "You have to see this! I KNEW Harry was seeing someone!"