Unofficial Portkey Archive

Teacher's Pet by Amynoelle and Heaven
EPUB MOBI HTML Text

Teacher's Pet

Amynoelle and Heaven

We don't know whether you guys will love us or hex us at the end of this chapter, but we do hope you enjoy it. Please review!!! ;)

Hermione sighed before making her way back to the small dormitory. She was more confused than ever on her feelings for Harry.

Lavender was sitting on her bed reading the book Lupin had assigned for them. "How was your walk?"

"Fine," Hermione lied.

"Must be really breezy outside," Lavender said. "You look all windblown and your cheeks are flushed."

"It is, a bit." Hermione smoothed her hair back.

"Justin stopped me on the way back upstairs," Lavender confided. "Wanted to know what kind of film you wanted to see and if you'd want to grab a bite."

"I don't know," Hermione answered. "I'm not so sure it's even a good idea."

"Hermione," Lavender said shaking her head. "Come on. You've already told him yes. You'd break the poor boy's heart if you cancelled out on him now."

"I won't cancel out," Hermione grumbled.

Lavender returned to her reading and Hermione picked up her own textbook eager to get her mind off of what had happened. It was easier said than done. He'd said that night was one of the best nights of his life, too.

She had thought she was complete rubbish, but apparently not.

"You sure you're okay?" Lavender asked.

"What?" Hermione asked. "Oh... I'm fine."

"You look a million miles away," Lavender commented. "Thinking about Justin, aren't you?"

Hermione shook her head. "I don't like him like that."

"Yet," Lavender said with a grin.

Hermione glanced warily at her. "You didn't tell him anything, did you?"

"No, of course not," Lavender replied.

"Promise you won't go giving him false hope," Hermione said.

"I wouldn't do that," Lavender promised. "He's really a good bloke, Hermione."

"He's very nice," Hermione agreed. "He'll be a good friend."

"And you can never have too many friends," Lavender said getting to her feet. "I promised Eloise I'd drop off my notes. I'll be right back."

"Okay," Hermione lay back on her bed.

It wasn't good to dwell on something that she could never have, but that didn't stop her from thinking about Harry and wondering what he was doing now.

If she was truly honest with herself, she would admit that she fancied him a bit.

While she did like Justin as a friend, there wasn't any spark there.

She only hoped he wouldn't get any ideas, especially since they were going out.

It would be nice to get out of here for a few hours and not have to dwell on the fact that Harry was out with this Megan Jones person.

After spending time with Hermione, Harry was no longer looking forward to this date.

His short meeting with his superiors was now over and he decided to blow off some steam in the Ministry gym.

He changed into a swim costume and hit the pool, swimming lap after lap.

A couple of lanes over, Ernie Macmillan was just finishing up his own workout and looked over to see Harry swimming as if he was being chased by a shark.

Harry didn't notice Ernie watching, which was probably a good thing given the angry words exchanged between them.

Ernie grabbed a towel and sat down beside Justin.

"So you and Granger are going out tomorrow?" Ernie asked.

"Yeah," Justin answered. "We're going to see a film and maybe get something to eat."

"She's kind of cute in a mousy, plain kind of way," Ernie commented.

"I think she's pretty hot," Justin replied. "And obviously smart as hell."

"They do say it's the quiet ones you have to watch out for," Ernie said with a grin.

"Hopefully I'll find out tomorrow," Justin laughed.

"Maybe you will," Ernie said. "I'll probably just hang out here."

"Get some studying done," Justin told him. "It couldn't hurt."

"I'm going to finish at the top of our training class," Ernie boasted.

Harry had just surfaced and he caught Ernie's lofty proclamation.

He was dying to reply and say he doubted that, but kept his mouth closed.

"I don't know," Justin commented. "Hermione's going to give you a run for your money, mate."

Ernie waved his hand dismissively. "You wait and see."

"I think it's going to be an interesting three years," Justin said with a grin. He caught sight of Harry and waved. "Alright, Harry?"

Harry jerked his head. "Fine, you?"

"Looking forward to the day off tomorrow," Justin said.

"Enjoy them while you can," Harry replied. "Lupin told me near the end of training, you're on call 24/7."

Justin groaned. "So much for my social life, right?"

Harry looked over at Ernie, who was glaring at him. "What's the matter with you?"

Ernie shrugged. "I was just wondering how it is you can train us when you yourself never went through the training..."

"Ernie---" Justin cautioned. "Come on, mate."

"Like I told you before," Harry said coolly. "I took all the tests and passed them with flying colours. Plus, I was asked to come do this. I didn't seek it out."

Ernie looked at him as if he didn't believe a word that was coming out of his mouth. But, thankfully, he didn't say anything in response.

"So," Justin said attempting to change the subject. "I heard you were taking Megan Jones out."

Harry shrugged. "Yeah."

"Weasley said you were taking her to some posh place," Ernie said. "Eager to impress, aren't we?"

Harry rolled his eyes. "When was the last time you had a date, Macmillan?"

Ernie was about to make a smart remark when Justin cut him off. "Hermione and I are going to a film tomorrow," Ernie announced. "I thought I'd take her for a bite to eat afterwards. Can you recommend a good place, Harry?"

Harry felt his jaw tighten. "I don't know what she likes to eat," he answered shortly.

"She mentioned that she really likes Italian," Justin offered.

"Then take her somewhere that serves Italian," Harry pushed his wet hair back. "I'll see you lot at the lesson on Monday."

"Wanker," Ernie said when Harry was out of earshot.

"You need to lay off him," Justin replied. "He's not a bad bloke. And it's not his fault Parvati preferred him over you."

"Yeah, I'll lay off him," Ernie said getting to his feet.

"I'll believe that when I see it," Justin returned.

Ernie couldn't understand why Justin and his fellow trainees didn't realise what bullshit this was. Potter had no business training them for anything. Ernie knew it was only a matter of time before Potter slipped up and Ernie wanted to be there when it happened.

*** *** ***

Ron could hardly wait to get to Hogsmeade to see Luna. It had been several weeks since she had gone back to school and him to Auror training. He had loads to tell her about, especially his annoying partner.

They'd agreed to meet just outside The Three Broomsticks and Ron was currently pacing outside the pub. He'd seen a few of the other Hogwarts students milling about so he knew Luna would soon be here.

He saw his sister meet Neville and head into Madam Puddifoots. He smirked to himself, grateful that Luna wasn't the type to go for that frippery.

"Ronald?"

"Luna!" Ron spun around.

She was wearing jeans and a green jumper. Her hair was pulled back just as he liked it and she was wearing radish earrings. Before he could say anything, she'd planted a kiss on him that nearly knocked him off his feet.

Ron wrapped his arms around her, deepening the kiss and not caring who saw them snogging like this. "I missed you."

"I missed you," she said dreamily. "Did you enjoy my letters?"

"All of them," he nodded. "And I've got loads to tell you."

"Let's get a table then and you can tell me all about it," Luna said giving him another kiss.

"Right," Ron squeezed her hand. He hadn't realised until now just how glad he was to see her again.

Luna led the way into the pub and they found a table near the back. After they ordered, they cuddled up in the booth.

"So tell me how your training is," Luna said.

"It's pretty tough already," he said. "I mean, I've got three more years of this and I can't stand my partner."

"What's wrong with your partner?" Luna asked.

"She's mental!" Ron replied. "I can't believe Harry put me with her."

"Ronald, I'm sure she's not that bad," Luna said before taking a sip of her juice.

"You have no idea," Ron answered. "She can't take a joke at all."

"She's probably serious about her training," Luna said thoughtfully.

"But she acts like I'm not," Ron complained.

"Are you?" Luna asked.

"Sure I am," he answered quickly.

Luna gave his hand a squeeze. "Okay."

Ron relaxed at her touch. "How about you?" he asked. "Your last year? How's it going?"

"It's going well," Luna told him. She gave him a quick rundown on her classes and her marks. "And it's been nice having Ginny there to talk to. She's missed Neville as much as I've missed you."

"I bet she only misses him half as much," Ron replied with a grin.

Luna laughed. "It is quite different without you around to distract me."

"I miss distracting you," Ron leaned over and kissed the side of her neck.

"Mmm," Luna purred.

Madam Rosmerta laughed as she set their plates down on the table. "If you'd rather nibble on her neck, perhaps you don't want the food then?"

"No we'll take the food," Ron said, pulling away.

"Thank you, Rosmerta," Luna said smiling at her.

The older woman winked at them and went back to the bar while Ron dug eagerly into his food.

"Ronald, how is Harry doing?" Luna asked. "I've been worried about him."

"He's all right," Ron replied. "Still misses Parvati a lot."

Luna nodded. "Still not ready to move on?"

"I don't know," Ron said. "He's going out with Megan Jones today. Dean Thomas set them up."

"Megan Jones?" Luna asked taken aback.

Ron nodded. "He's going to have a blast with her."

Luna wasn't so sure about that. Megan Jones was very flashy and seemed high-maintenance. But, then again, Luna didn't know the girl very well.

"What do you think about it?" she asked.

Ron shrugged. "She's fun. Merlin knows Harry needs more fun in his life."

Luna nodded. "Well then I hope she can give it to him."

"If you're going to pity someone," Ron said. "Pity Justin. He's taking my shrew of a partner out today."

"Ronald maybe you should be a bit nicer to her." Luna said.

Ron looked at his girlfriend as if she had sprouted a second head. Being nice to Granger was completely impossible, Ron thought. But, Luna had such a good heart, she thought that everyone deserved a chance. "I've tried, Luna," Ron told her.

Luna smiled at him. "Remember how you used to get angry at everyone for treating me badly? That could be how people have treated her."

"Luna--," Ron protested.

"For me?" Luna asked.

"You don't fight fair," Ron said knowing he'd never been able to refuse his girlfriend anything.

Luna giggled. "I know!"

"I'll try, but only for you," Ron said, wondering how in the world he was going to be nice to someone who hated his guts.

Luna pecked him on the lips. "Thank you Ronald."

Ron rolled his eyes, but he was smiling. He guessed he'd spent the next week trying to get into Hermione's good graces or at least to find some common ground with her.

Someone who was also trying to do that was Justin Finch-Fletchley. He knew that a film wasn't really the best first date idea. For one thing, they couldn't talk very much. He'd picked a period piece thinking she'd like that.

"Do you really like this?" he asked her again.

Hermione looked at him. "Yes," she whispered back. "It's fine."

"Okay," he nodded, looking back at the screen. Truth be told, he was bored to death.

He surreptiously checked his watch. The movie had been going on for two hours now and he hoped it would come to an end soon. Justin decided to make a move. Faking a yawn and a stretch, he rested his arm on the back of Hermione's seat. He waited a moment before moving his arm from the seat to her shoulder.

Hermione raised an eyebrow at this, but said nothing. Hopefully Justin wasn't dumb enough to try any moves on her.

"Why is she mooning over this Heathcliff character?" Justin whispered. "I thought she was married to that bloke Edgar."

"Because she loves him," Hermione whispered back impatiently.

"He's a moody wanker," Justin commented.

Hermione bit her lower lip in annoyance.

"If she wants to be with that Heathcliff, why doesn't she just dump Edgar?" Justin commented. "I guess women didn't make since even back then."

Hermione bristled. "If you'd just watch the movie, you'd understand what was going on," she whispered a bit sharply.

"Sorry," Justin apologised in a sheepish tone.

Hermione again tried to concentrate on the film. She hoped he wouldn't pursue going to get something to eat afterwards- she really just wanted to get back to the dormitory and lose herself in some reading.

She wondered what time Harry was taking Megan out. Would they be going to dinner? Would he take her out dancing? Hermione sighed. She wasn't supposed to care about what he was doing or whom he was doing it with.

Justin seemed to think she was sighing out of boredom. "We can get out of here if you want," he whispered to her.

Hermione shook her head. "No, it's fine. It's nearly over, Justin."

He slumped back in the chair. "Okay..."

Justin somehow made it through the last few scenes and he resisted the urge to say "Finally!" when the credits began to run across the screen.

Hermione wished she could have said she enjoyed the film, but quite honestly couldn't. Justin was already at the end of the row of seats and she got up to follow him.

"We have a couple of hours before we have to be back at the dorm," Justin said. "Would you like to grab a bite to eat?"

"I don't know," Hermione hedged. "I've got quite a bit of reading to do--"

"Come on," Justin said grinning at her. "We can go anywhere you like."

"Maybe some coffee," Hermione relented.

"That I can do," Justin said happily.

Hermione nodded as they walked towards the coffee shop on the corner.

"I'll place our order," Justin told her. "What do you want?"

"Just some regular coffee, please." Hermione answered. "I don't need anything really fancy."

"Got it," Justin said grinning at her. "Go and find us a table."

"Okay," Hermione answered, scoping out the room. She saw a corner table and snagged it before someone else could sit down.

Justin joined her a few minutes later with two coffees and some pastries. "I didn't know what you'd like so I got one of everything."

"Thanks," Hermione said. She resolved to try and be a bit nicer to the guy. "I am a little hungry."

"That movie really wasn't one I would have picked out," Justin admitted. "It's not really my type of film. I usually like action films or comedies."

"I enjoy the classics," Hermione answered. "Especially Jane Austen, or sometimes Charles Dickens."

Justin nodded. "Jane Austen...is that an actress?"

"No," Hermione shook her head. "She's a writer from the 1800's."

"Right," Justin said sheepishly. He took a sip of his coffee trying to think of something to say that wouldn't make him look like an idiot. "So, did you leave any blokes behind in France?"

"No," Hermione shook her head.

"I find that hard to believe," Justin said. "You probably had to beat the boys off with a stick."

"Hardly," Hermione smiled ruefully. "I was pretty involved with my studies."

"All work and no play," Justin teased.

"I played a little," Hermione smiled. "Well... very little."

Justin pushed the plate of pastries in her direction. "I know the next three years, we're not going to have much time to play."

"Tell me about it," Hermione picked up a brownie. "But I don't know... I'm sort of looking forward to it." she added. She didn't mention that she also looked forward to seeing Harry on an almost daily basis.

"I'm going to have my hands full keeping Ernie in line," Justin told her. "He really needs to watch what he says in front of some of our instructors."

"Yes he does," Hermione agreed. "Despite Harry being our age, he is our instructor and he does know quite a bit more than any of us."

Justin nodded in agreement. "Exactly and I think he's done really well so far."

"I agree," Hermione replied. "He's really quite um... um... smart."

"Harry's a great bloke," Justin said.

"Yes he is," Hermione said absently.

"I'm really glad that Lavender set this up," Justin said looking across the table at her. "I really like you, Hermione."

"I like you too," Hermione replied. "But... we're friends Justin. Right now, I can't see myself giving any more than that."

"Oh," Justin said quietly.

"But, I hope we can still be friends," Hermione said gently. "I really do like you, Justin."

He nodded. "Sure," he replied.

"Good," Hermione answered.

The next few minutes were quite awkward and Hermione shifted uncomfortably in her seat.

"We should probably get back to the Ministry," Justin said. "Nearing curfew and all that."

"Right," Hermione nodded. "Let's take the rest of this back with us."

Justin asked the woman at the counter for a box.

They walked back to the Ministry together in a somewhat comfortable silence. "Thanks for understanding," Hermione said to Justin. "Just... right now, I feel like I have a lot of things going in my life." she thought about Harry, and tried to push the images aside.

"I suppose relationships are pretty impossible since the next three years of our lives are going to be full with training," Justin commented.

Hermione nodded. "Right."

Justin held the door for her. "After you...."

"Thanks," Hermione smiled at him. She wasn't looking where she was going and collided with someone just inside.

Harry held his arms out to steady her. "Hi."

"Oh..." Hermione's voice trailed off. "Um.... hi." Harry was dressed in a suit and tie and looked absolutely gorgeous. Hermione couldn't even speak over the lump in her throat.

Harry didn't realise he was still holding onto her until Justin spoke.

"Hiya, Harry," Justin said warmly. "You just heading out?"

"Yeah," Harry moved his gaze from Hermione's. "You two just getting in?"

Justin nodded. "We saw a film and then we went for a coffee."

Hermione didn't trust her voice. She knew she should say something, but right now, she doubted her ability to string words together.

Harry nodded. "Well... I hope you two have a good night. I'll see you Monday morning."

"Say hello to Megan for me," Justin said. He looked at Hermione. "We'd better go upstairs."

Hermione nodded again. "Good night," she managed.

Harry turned and watched her follow Justin and wished that it was Hermione he was talking out to The Ivy.

Megan had sent him an owl earlier telling him she preferred roses over daises for a first date flower, and not to be late, although she most likely wouldn't be ready until at least a half hour after he got there. Part of him wanted to kill Dean for setting him up, but he HAD asked him to do it.

Harry decided to just go with it. Perhaps this would be a great evening and they'd really hit it off.

He was quick to get to Megan's place after stopping at a florist and buying a dozen red roses.

He knocked on the door and waited for what seemed like forever before someone answered the door.

"I'm here to pick up Megan..." Harry said a bit hesitantly.

"She's still getting ready," the girl said. "Come in."

"Thanks," Harry stepped inside. "I'm Harry," he introduced himself.

"Tamara," the girl said looking a little put out. "I'm Megan's flatmate."

"It's nice to meet you," Harry replied awkwardly.

"You're shorter than I thought you'd be," Tamara commented before heading back into the kitchen.

"Uh... I'm sorry." Harry raised an eyebrow.

"TAMARA!" Megan shrieked from her bedroom. "Get our guest something to drink!"

Tamara jumped. "Can I get you anything?" she seemed to jump into hostess mode. "A glass of water, or wine?"

"No, thank you," Harry said sitting down on the sofa. "I'm fine."

"I'll go see if she's almost ready," Tamara ran from the room.

Harry nodded and set the flowers on the coffee table.

He tapped his foot a bit impatiently. Their reservations at the Ivy would be given away if they didn't get there within the next fifteen minutes.

Thankfully, Megan came out a couple of minutes later, looking very beautiful. "Hello, Harry."

"Hello," Harry rose to his feet. "These are for you," he held out the roses.

Megan's smile faltered a bit. "Red?"

"Thought that's what you'd like," Harry replied.

"Well, they're very lovely," Megan said handing them off to Tamara. "But in the future, please remember that I love pink roses best."

"I'll keep that in mind," Harry answered dryly. "Shall we?"

"Of course," Megan said. "Let me just get my wrap."

Harry helped her on with it then led her out the door. "I hope you like the Ivy," he said.

"I adore going there," Megan said smiling at him.

"Good," Harry smiled quickly.

Megan talked almost the entire way to the restaurant. Harry hardly managed to get a word in edgewise. For a brief moment, he imagined Hermione sitting beside him in the car.

"...so I told them that I really thought red would be a better colour," Megan was saying. "They decided to go with the orange. Can you believe that? I mean who wears orange these days?"

"I don't know," Harry said truthfully.

Megan smiled at him. "I've talked way too much about me. What about you?"

Harry shrugged. "What do you want to know?"

"What took you so long to ask Dean to set us up for one?" Megan asked flirtatiously.

"I haven't really been in the mood to date," Harry replied.

"Parvati?" Megan asked looking sympathetically at him.

Harry nodded. "Yeah."

Thankfully, they arrived at the restaurant and Harry didn't have to answer any more questions about Parvati.

"Reservation for Potter," Harry told the maitre'd. "I requested a corner table."

"Of course," the maitre'd replied. "Right this way."

Harry stepped aside and allowed Megan to walk in front of him.

The maitre'd held Megan's chair for her and she sat down looking around the room.

"It's a slow night," she commented. "We should have done this earlier."

"This was the time they had available for a reservation," Harry said sitting down.

"Maybe next time we should decide together on where to go then," Megan tossed her hair back. "It'll do."

Harry raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry that I didn't consult you on that."

Megan only shrugged. "I hope the lobster is good tonight."

He wasn't surprised that she'd decided on the most expensive item on the menu.

"I hope you like champagne, too." Megan said. "I'd like a bottle of Cristal."

"Fine," Harry said with a sigh. "How about after dinner, we stop off at Tiffany's and buy you a diamond?"

Megan didn't catch his sarcasm. "Two carat or above."

Harry wanted to laugh. Dean thought this girl was his dream woman?

Thankfully, the waiter stepped in and Harry was spared replying.

Harry placed his order and Megan's, but apparently he didn't do this right either.

"Is there a problem, miss?" the waiter asked.

"I would like a salad with fat free vinaigrette on the SIDE," Megan emphasised. "And the lobster with NO butter. It's entirely too fattening."

"Yes, miss," the waiter said.

Harry rolled his eyes. This was going to be a long, long night.

Back at the dormitory, Lavender was beside herself wondering how Harry's date was going.

"I don't want him NOT to have fun," she said. "It's just weird to think of him with someone other than Parvati."

Hermione didn't want to be rude, but the last thing she wanted to think about was Harry and his date.

"And Megan's just really not his type." Lavender continued. "She's the kind of girl who wants diamonds on a first date."

"She must have some redeeming qualities if one of his best friends set them up," Hermione said trying to seem diplomatic.

"I don't know WHAT Dean was thinking," Lavender shook her head.

"Probably that he wanted to set his friend up with a hot girl who would put out," Hermione said grumpily.

Lavender laughed. "Well that's where he's wrong. Megan thinks she's above sleeping on the first date. You've practically got to buy her a jewellery store to get that far."

Hermione decided that maybe she shouldn't be so judgmental since she did sleep with a bloke on the first date. Well, it wasn't technically a date.

"More like a one night stand," she muttered.

"One night stand?" Lavender asked, her ears perking up.

Hermione hadn't realised she said that aloud. "Nothing."

Lavender gasped. "Did you have a one night stand, Miss Granger?"

Hermione flushed. "Absolutely not!" she denied.

Lavender sat down on the edge of Hermione's bed and looked at her roommate. "YOU DID!"

"No I didn't," Hermione lied.

"Uh-huh," Lavender said as if she didn't believe a word Hermione said.

"I have reading to do," Hermione grabbed a book off her nightstand.

"You little minx," Lavender teased.

"Drop it," Hermione said.

"Okay, okay," Lavender said standing up. "Was it good?"

Hermione didn't bother to even answer her.

"The only bloke I ever shagged was Ron Weasley for Merlin's sake," Lavender told her. "Come on...."

"You shagged Ron?" Hermione asked her nose scrunching up in disgust.

"He was my first," Lavender said. "And not so memorable..."

"Um, well, this one night thing was my first too," Hermione admitted in a voice nearly above a whisper.

Lavender spun around. "So you DID have a one night stand! You HAVE to tell me all about it!"

Hermione put her head in her hands. Why had she even brought this up? "There's nothing much to tell...."

"There has to be," Lavender said. "Who was it?"

"I didn't get his name," Hermione said.

Lavender's eyes grew large. "Hermione!"

"It's true," Hermione elaborated on the truth a little. "It just sort of happened..."

"You don't strike me as the type to do that," Lavender said. "Wow...."

"Thanks, I think." Hermione replied.

Lavender smiled. "So there's no chance you'll see him anymore?"

"I don't know about that," Hermione answered vaguely. "He... sort of popped up when I least expected him to."

"Ooooh," Lavender said excitedly. "So---"

"That's all I'm saying," Hermione answered.

"Okay," Lavender said trying to hide her disappointment.

Hermione read for a few minutes. "What?" she asked Lavender, who continued to stare at her.

"Nothing," Lavender replied reaching for her own book.

"I'm not telling you who it is," Hermione answered.

"You just said you didn't know his name," Lavender pointed out.

Hermione realised her mistake. "Well I'm not telling you what he looks like," she covered.

"I wouldn't tell anyone," Lavender promised.

Hermione wanted badly to confide in someone, but wasn't quite sure she could confide in Lavender just yet.

Thankfully, there was a knock on the door.

"Come in," Hermione called out.

"Hermione," Eloise said. "Professor Lupin would like to see you in his office."

Hermione stood up, her blood running cold for a minute. Had Lupin found out about her and Harry somehow?

Hermione followed Eloise out of the room. "Did he--did he say what it was about?"

Eloise shook her head. "I don't know. I ran into Harry downstairs and he asked me to come and fetch you. He said Lupin wanted to see you in his office."

"Harry's back from his date already?" Hermione asked.

"Suppose so," Eloise said. "I've got to go back to my room. I was in the middle of studying. Good luck."

"Thanks..." Hermione said. She headed down to the office with some trepidation.

She knocked on Lupin's door, expecting the older gentleman to throw open the door and tell her that he knew what she'd done and that she was kicked out of the program.

It wasn't Lupin that opened the door, but Harry.

He was still wearing his suit and tie, and she gulped. "Um... Lupin wanted to see me."

"He's not here," Harry told her, motioning for her to come inside.

"I don't understand," Hermione said as he closed the door behind her.

Hermione sat down and looked at Harry who started pacing as if he had a million things on his mind. Perhaps he was going to warn her that Lupin had found out about them?

"I had a date tonight," Harry finally said. " A real date."

"I know," Hermione answered.

Harry stopped pacing and looked properly at her. "I've only been in love once in my life. One time."

Hermione stayed silent, wondering why he was telling her this. Perhaps he now regretted them spending the night together.

"Parvati and me----we made plans," Harry said quietly. "We were going to get a place together when it was all over. She was so excited about it, I actually started to believe it was possible."

"I'm sorry you never got to do that," Hermione replied quietly.

"I thought I was being noble," Harry said sitting down beside her. "I thought that it was for the best if I went out and faced him on my own. I'd seen enough people I cared about die. I didn't want anything to happen to her or to Ron."

Hermione put a hand on his arm. She had the feeling that he had never opened up this way to anyone.

"He killed her like she was nothing," Harry said his voice breaking. "She didn't matter to him."

"I'm so sorry," Hermione squeezed his hand.

"I spent the last few months in a complete daze," Harry told her. "I shut myself off from my friends. I started hanging out at Muggle pubs. I didn't want to be around anyone. Lupin, he convinced me to take this job. He told me I could make a difference."

"You are," Hermione nodded. "You're the best person to teach us what we need to know to become Aurors."

Harry stood up and walked over to the window. "I'm not sure what I'm doing half of the time, Hermione. Hell, most of the time. And not just here...Parvati's gone and I'm supposed to move on, right? I'm supposed to go on with my life, such as it is."

"You don't have to forget about her," Hermione told him. "But I'm sure she would want you to be happy."

"That's what Megan said tonight," Harry said his back still to her. "Among other things. "

"Lavender was wondering how that was going," Hermione said tentatively.

"Really well," Harry said sarcastically. "I think she was picking out our china patterns before we'd even sat down for dinner."

"That bad?" Hermione asked.

"I bought the wrong roses," Harry said. "I picked the wrong time. In fact, I apparently did everything that you could possibly do wrong on a date including thinking about another girl the entire time I was with her."

Hermione shook her head. "It sounds to me as if she was the loser, Harry. You did everything right."

"I shouldn't have gone out with her to begin with," Harry said turning around. "When it was---when it was you I haven't been able to stop thinking about."

Hermione was startled. "Me?"

Harry loosened his tie. "I don't know what I'm saying. All I know is that after I dropped Megan off, I was heading home, but somehow found myself back here."

Hermione didn't quite know what to say. "I thought we were going to keep our distance," she offered weakly.

Harry didn't say anything to this. He just put his head in his hands.

"It's hard," Hermione swallowed. "It's hard for us."

Harry sat back down beside her. "I'm sorry for putting you in this position. You don't deserve this."

"You aren't putting me in any position," Hermione replied softly.

Harry just shook his head. "Look. We'll just find some way to carry on like we did before. Just--just forget I said anything."

"How am I supposed to do that?" Hermione asked.

Harry wished he had an answer for her. He should never have asked Eloise to go and get her. He should have never put her in this position. They were both playing with fire and if they were caught, her career would be ruined.

Hermione sensed his hesitation, his fear and his longing. Her hand was shaking as she put it on his shoulder.

"You should go," he said quietly.

"Why did you really call me down here?" Hermione asked him.

"I wanted to see you," he replied meeting her gaze.

"And now you want me to leave?" she asked.

Harry made a move to stand up again, but Hermione put her hand on his arm.

"You were just opening up to me," she said to him.

He'd never told anyone the things he'd just told her. Harry reached out and touched her cheek. "You haven't told me how you feel. Am I alone in this?"

Hermione shook her head. "No."

Harry smiled for the first time since she'd entered the room. "Where do we go from here?"

"I'm not sure," she said truthfully. "I know where I want to go..."

"Where?" Harry asked.

Hermione was sick of denying how she felt. "I think you know, Harry." she whispered.

Harry did the thing he'd wanted to do from the moment she had walked into the office. He pulled her to him and kissed her.